[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Would you say that Rick is an "Anti-Hero"?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 9

File: tumblr_onri3ufPn11vm56fko1_500.png (200KB, 500x273px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_onri3ufPn11vm56fko1_500.png
200KB, 500x273px
Would you say that Rick is an "Anti-Hero"?
>>
>>91312732

He's not any kind of hero.
>>
>>91312732
he's some sort of demon or fucked up god
>>
>>91312732
Well he's not a hero but he's not a villain either. So survey says yes
>>
>>91312732
he's a protagonist.
>>
>>91312732
Anti-villain?
>>
Walking plot device.
>>
Name one time Rick did something heroic in anyway, I'll wait
>>
>>91312898
I'd say he's a complete villain
>>
>>91312732
Not quite a villian yet, but not a hero either less an anti-hero
>>
>>91313000
he gave Morty his time displacement collar.
>>
>>91313000
Purge planet
>>
>>91313000
Saved all those people from getting cursed by crap at the devil's store.
>>
Anti-villain

Does what he wants, when he wants, regardless of how evil or good it might be. Any good he does is either selfishly motivated, manipulative, or purely incidental.
>>
>>91313000
saved morty from death when they broke the 4th dimension or some shit like that
>>
>>91312732
he's not anywhere on the heroic spectrum
>>
>abandon family
>le nihilistic worldview
>fucks up anything he wants because it's replaceable from another universe
>comes back from fuck knows where and immediately breaks a family that isn't his own
>sacrifices "his" own family members and all sense of order if people piss him off
>he's supposed to be sympathetic
no he's just Rick the Dick, it's not any deeper than that
>>
>>91313253
>he's supposed to be sympathetic
is he? He doesn't seem like it, that's probably what redditors think
>>
I wish Rick actually did have a worthy opponent/rival.

I don't mind the whole DUDE WACKY EDGY SCIENTIST WINS AGAIN thing, but it would be a nice change if he lost.
>>
>>91312732
hes an asshole whos the main protagonist and fights people that are just as bad as him.
His only redeeming quality is that he cares about his family even if he denies it
>>
>>91312732
They kind of flipped between him being anti-hero or bad guy last season, but didn't the Season 3 opener end with him as a selfish bad guy who only did good things when it served him personally? Like "I didn't save you and your sister because I give a shit about you, I did it because I wanted your mom to see me as a hero so she would kick your dad out because I hate your dad"

>>91312898
Actually, yeah. Idk if "anti-villain" is a word yet, but he's the villain equivalent of an anti-hero

>>91313129
>>91313044
true. Honestly I think the creators are just winging it at this point, they seemed to be moving Rick into being an anti-hero but then the new episode killed that. The creator admitted he lurks on /co/ so maybe he'll see this and get his shit together. Just settle on Rick as an anti-hero instead of this bullshit flip-flopping for idk I guess cheap plot-twists? R&M has a lot of potential to be a deep show like Futurama was at its prime but the writers keep fucking around

>>91313089
He did that to fuck with the Devil. Once he realized the Devil was just giving up, Rick stopped caring and torched the store instead of helping anybody else.
>>
>>91313253
You should also mention
>aliens and demons are always fucking him up because all the bad things he had done in the past.
he probably founded the galatic federation and invited Satan to earth.
>>
>>91312732
Fuck no.

Closest thing I can think of is "near-god level terrorist"
>>
>>91312732

It's what Morty says

>He's not bad, but he shouldn't be called a hero
>>
>>91313000

Feeling regret from THE PAIN
>>
>>91312732
Thus episode even a dressed this.

More than anything, he is a mad god.
>>
He's neutral. Honestly hes just doing what a normal person would do if they had his intellect, alcohol problems, and tools. I would expect a random person with a portal gun to probably do the same fucked up shit he does.
>>
He raped an entire planet. Rick is an awful, awful person.
>>
>>91312732
He's a mad scientist, I'm surprised no on posted this yet.
>>
>>91313939
>rape
>bad

You're a piece of shit and I can prove it mathematically.
>>
File: ahem.png (25KB, 283x283px) Image search: [Google]
ahem.png
25KB, 283x283px
>>91312732
Which Rick?
>>
>>91314079
The Rickest Rick
>>
>>91314058
Go ahead.
>>
>>91314058
What black algebra would that involve?
>>
>>91313939
>raped

By which definition? Clearly not the websters dictionary.
>>
>>91313348
>I didn't save you and your sister because I give a shit about you, I did it because I wanted your mom to see me as a hero so she would kick your dad out because I hate your dad

Yeah, but that's also the rant where he says that his entire motivation is to get his hands on a discontinued Mcdonalds dipping sauce.
>>
>>91313915
This honestly.

Why're people so determined to put him on some hero/villain scale? He's the protagonist, that's it.
>>
He's chaotic neutral. Most of the bad stuff he does is kind of collateral damage. He'll do good if it serves his own selfish ends.
>>
Rick C-137 is only 2 ricks away from Evil Rick.

So he is a really hard chaotic neutral.
>>
>>91314330
but remember that the evil Rick was actually a robot controlled by an Evil Morty.
>>
>>91312760
let's not suck the ghost of his dick too hard
>>
>>91314330
Evil Rick wasn't even at the end of the spectrum. How fucked up are the other Ricks in comparison?
>>
>>91314330
Butt Evil-Rick was just a mindless puppet of Evil-Morty.
>>
>>91314238
Obviously he isn't going to tell them the truth snd look like some pushover that they can ask for crazy favors from all the time. I feel like he tries to act tougher not only to help the kids get used to the world, but to protect himself from more hurt by purposely trying to distance himself.
>>
File: bulma.png (410KB, 600x1185px) Image search: [Google]
bulma.png
410KB, 600x1185px
Smartest people have blue hair.
>>
>>91312732
Villain Protagonist
>>
File: 1444462807625.jpg (133KB, 674x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1444462807625.jpg
133KB, 674x1280px
>Would you say that Rick is an "Anti-Hero"?
He's ridiculously evil and a mass murderer. Remember when he destroyed a whole universe just to spite some scientist? He recently destroyed the Council of Ricks headquarters and didn't even think about all the innocent Morty's that were going to die. Arguably there were probably some innocent Rick's there as well.

>those memories
Probably fake. There is no way Beth would have survived a point blank science bomb blast that killed Rick's wife and sent a heavy car flying. He probably just embellished those fake memories with tragedy to make them believable.

>>91313000
He sacrificed himself for Morty when they were falling into an infinite void when it seemed like there was only one time-synchronizer left.

>>91313089
He didn't do that for the people though, he did it to fuck with the Devil. He burned his store down with everyone in it once he got bored of actually running a business.
>>
>>91312760
>>91314570
imo:
Those are the funniest quotes from the episode.
>>
File: 345345345.png (221KB, 405x314px) Image search: [Google]
345345345.png
221KB, 405x314px
>>91314685
That's green. Her actual hair color in the manga is purple though.
>>
>>91314842
And the color of my dick is peach. Thanks for the info nerd.
>>
>>91314816
Too bad i didn't get a chace to give that bug dick a twirl
>>
File: Rick_Soldiers_2.png (216KB, 390x414px) Image search: [Google]
Rick_Soldiers_2.png
216KB, 390x414px
I'd classify Rick as more of a full-on villain. His resistance to joining the Council of Ricks, which ostensibly exists so Ricks can work together toward common goals, provide one another with a safety net, and prevent any single Rick from becoming an existential threat to any other Ricks, pretty much clenches it IMO.

I'd say Morty's the real anti-hero, since he at least seems to care about things other than his own satisfaction.
>>
He's more of an irredeemable monster.
>>
>>91313334
They need to bring back Stephen Colbert's character from the miniverse. He was pretty much just another Rick, but very slightly less of a complete asshole.
>>
He's a Peter Griffin.
>>
>>91315062
But Peter's an idiot.
>>
>>91315169
Who is an alcoholic who does whatever he wants and doesn't give a fuck. Also he's aware of the fourth-wall.
>>
>>91314811
>Probably fake
They were definitely fake, anon. That's literally stated in the episode.
>>
>>91314570
You're just jealous. I can tell by the hairdos.
>>
>>91312732
He definitely tries, but he seems like more of an adventurer with no care for others but himself, morty, Beth, the obvious etc...it's not like he tries to do good or tries to do bad, naturally I guess you can say he's a villain but he does to heroic things sometimes just as much as he does villainous things, idk I might make a video on it.
>>
>>91313000
let's not forget the cronenberg Rick had in his fridge
>>
File: ricks suicide attempt.png (1MB, 1303x729px) Image search: [Google]
ricks suicide attempt.png
1MB, 1303x729px
>>91312732
Rick is "an hero"
>>
>>91313000
I don't know about heroic but if you want him showing he cares he did shoot the guy who bad touched Morty in the bathroom.
>>
>>91314614
If you want to give him some kind of moral out for the last episode then you could just imagine that transferring his mind so many times, including to a non-human brain, gave him an imbalance.

I mean it's not like you could tell anyway with how he normally acts.
>>
>>91313016
>Not quite a villain
He destroyed two universes containing sentient life just to slow a guy down
He might be apathetic, but he's still evil as fuck
>>
>>91318482
he seemed pretty desperate. he just got rid of his two biggest adversaries, the Ricks and the government. maybe he's afraid if he doesn't force Morty to stick with him the remnants of those two groups will target his family for revenge and he needs them sticking close to him to protect them.

I dunno. the way he suddenly brought up the SzeChuan sauce, which Morty had never heard him mention, seemed like he was spouting whatever crap first came to mind to make him seem like an even bigger sociopath. it definitely didn't sound sincere. every other time he's pulled the "actually I was just being selfish' card he bothers to explain what he gets out of it to Morty, even i its just "I can sell this crap on the black market" or "I can wipe out some of my enemies with this"

this was full-on "Mom's gonna freak" tier
>>
>>91317216
https://youtu.be/BdpyvMgBQTk
>>
>>91318482
Not to mention that the episode began with a mention of a potential psychotic break...

I'm thinking that's classic foreshadowing.
>>
>>91318631
But would they go through with it, or would they make you think they would and then shout, "PSYCHE!" like it's the damn 90s again.
>>
>>91318583
Honestly, I thought that he was approaching some sort of breakdown after Bird Person died.
I mean destroying the council of ricks and the federation was something above and beyond what he's shown he's willing to do throughout the rest of the series.
>>
>>91313348
>Rick is one way because he said X
I'm not sure where people are getting these ideas that you can trust a single word Rick says about what he thinks or believes.
He's a manic depressive sociopath who keeps trying to push people away when he's faced with any kind of responsibility but is emotionally dependent on other people's love.

He's a notorious liar to begin with, and on top of that, he can't deal with people. Believing what he says about how he relates to others is like asking a Magic 8 Ball for wisdom.
>>
File: 1353974280480.jpg (48KB, 286x266px) Image search: [Google]
1353974280480.jpg
48KB, 286x266px
Rick is a villain, plain and simple. His behavior and actions betray a selfish, individually focused set of goals. Rick's interaction with others serve to push his interests and little else. The sufferings of other people don't weigh much on Rick's conscious. And it's not as if Rick's inventions serve some greater goal. Rick does what helps rick.

It's interesting when people try to twist rick into some sort of hero or maybe anti-hero. Being depressed doesn't justify immoral actions. Being "smart" doesn't do it either. If you strip away rick's humor, his funny dialogue and leave only his actions, it's easy to see rick's manipulative nature
>>
>>91313000

He realized Morty was nearly violated by King Jellybean and still persuaded Morty to not give up and finish the adventure he started so he'd feel better.

Then, once Morty was out of harm and sight, he fucking merked King Jellybean.
>>
>>91314253
I wouldn't even call him neutral. He's just......chaotic.

Nugget Sauce??
>>
>>91312732
His show is garbage
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.