[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are DC and Marvel unable to establish new heroes?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 43
Thread images: 15

File: DC-Marvel.jpg (183KB, 570x300px) Image search: [Google]
DC-Marvel.jpg
183KB, 570x300px
Why are DC and Marvel unable to establish new heroes?
>>
>>91269763
Writers hate to make OCs for them
>>
>>91269763
you can just change the gender and the race of an already existing hero and it's good as new
>>
File: not oc marvel dc.png (309KB, 1280x1308px) Image search: [Google]
not oc marvel dc.png
309KB, 1280x1308px
>>91269771
forgot pic
>>
Nobody who writes or draws comics today wants to create new characters because there's a chance they would sell like hotcakes and only Mahvel and Dee Cee would profit from them.

Better to have control of your own IP.. either independently or through Image
>>
>>91269763
Because people don't read DC or Marvel for new heroes. They read them for the old ones they're familiar with. If they want new stuff they'll check out any other publisher.
>>
>>91269763
Marvel cares more about movies and TV shows y'know things that actually sell

DC is just plain retarded
>>
>>91269763
They need to make a Goku clone. Like a whole new saga for a character like Goku. I would read that.
>>
Because nobody with ideas likes the thought of giving them away after you're done writing stories for them.
>>
>>91269813
only if they make him stronger than superman
>>
>>91269763
They're not. They just don't want to accept how it's done. There are two issues.

One : You need not to treat the oc-making writer like dirt and give them scraps for making them and take away any right from them.

Two: You need to understand that even if you make a new character it has to be around for several years before they can stand toe to toe with the big names that have been around for many decades.
You can't expect them to be as successful as superman in 2 years. And you shouldn't expose them as much as batman before the people cares about them as much as they care about batman. And that takes a lot of time.

That's it, really. They can make new characters but they're overly greedy and want the OC to be a big cash cow right of the bat, so they reject anything that doesn't meet that unlikely standard.

Greedy, impatient assholes.
>>
>>91269763
certain writers try, like Glyph over here, she was cool and new and original but they dont keep on because marvel or DC rather have name recognition over depth so characters like Glyph wont appear in more things just the one team book and a cameo or two

it she became like Spider-Mummy or something shed be out more
>>
>>91269763
Too many writers want to make OCs instead of spotlighting and building up older characters. When a writer moves on, the OC is often shat on and left in a dumpster fire by later writers.

Those few old characters who do get spotlighted tend to be mishandled like Sam Wilson and Cyborg.
>>
>>91269830
No need to do that. People don't like Goku because he's strong. People like Goku because he's Goku. Just being Goku can make a character more interesting than Superman.
>>
No heart and soul, they're always some kind of pandering attempt.
>>
>>91269791
Creators have no right over their characters?
>>
You have to be retarded to make OCs for Marvel or DC.

If you have a good idea that you think might sell, you don't hand it over to a major corporation where you'll lose all ownership or control over the character.
>>
File: image.jpg (89KB, 320x487px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
89KB, 320x487px
Because no matter how likable and well built up a character is,it's incredibly difficult to get people to support literal who's,people read marvel for marvel heroes sure you'll get your occasional lighting in a bottle like deadpool but it's very rare
>>
>>91269763
I hope DC publishes something with Equinox in it again.
>>
>>91271822
I hope you like toy commercials for little girls.
>>
>>91269791
Interesting theory. I wonder if that's the reason Disney just keeps raping it's history instead of doing anything new
>>
File: Big Hero.jpg (157KB, 970x545px) Image search: [Google]
Big Hero.jpg
157KB, 970x545px
>>91272529
Disney does new; but nostalgia is what sells superhero stuff in this day and age, generally speaking.
All the old heroes were created over decades; lots and lots of them ended up on the junk-pile and forgotten.

But the market for $4 floppies is dominated by older fans who have already decided what they want, which is (and I don't say this to set off your kneejerk "SJW" response) white male power fantasy.
>>
File: prison break.jpg (60KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
prison break.jpg
60KB, 600x400px
>>91272529
New hasn't sold in comic books for a long time, has nothing to do with Disney. This is really a problem in all of entertainment. As things become more niche and there are more options than ever before, audiences become fragmented and spread out, so companies turn towards things in the past that were successful.
>>
File: 1804319-batmanwithbomb.jpg (44KB, 753x960px) Image search: [Google]
1804319-batmanwithbomb.jpg
44KB, 753x960px
>>91272702
DC and Marvel's core audience doesn't want new.
Hell, they are hard-pressed to sell titles featuring OLD characters outside of their regular stable of money-makers.
Marvel has tried and failed to sell what people aren't buying recently.
DC has jumped back a couple few decades and restarted again to keep selling that sweet, sweet nostalgia to it's readers.
>>
File: 1432150598245.jpg (259KB, 1005x1519px) Image search: [Google]
1432150598245.jpg
259KB, 1005x1519px
When they do people whine about forced diversity or just plain NOT MUH.

Also like everyone said, no point making OC with work-for-hire until they get better rights programs, if ever.

These Marvel movies are making BILLIONS of dollars and the people who created the characters are lucky to get enough money for a decent meal, let alone the people who wrote the stories that inspire them.

Denny O'Neil didn't even get a cent from Iron Man 1 which featured characters he created until he called Quesadilla and begged.

Frank Miller probably made nothing from BvS except royalties from TDKR reprints. Mark Waid and John Byrne got nothing from Man of Steel. Gerry Conway didn't even get a fucking credit for Punisher in Daredevil S2.

I don't use this word often, but it's fucking disgusting. Making fortunes off the backs of people who probably barely make more than I do as a wagecuck at Staples.
>>
>>91269763
Because the only people that buy comics are old nostalgia bros and SJWs that want to change everything about it to the point that the nostalgia bros drop comics.
>>
>>91272963
DC actually does royalties stuff well. Starlin said he got a hefty payment just from KGBeast appearing in BvS and most people probably didn't even realize that KGBeast was even there.
>>
>>91269763
1. There's no incentive for writers and artist to come up for characters for Marvel or DC, especially with the chance of them being able to make a Kirkman or Millar buck if they do their own thing.
2. Despite what fans say, the honestly don't really want new characters or hell, even old characters being rebranded or brought back. People give DC a lot of shit for being "le Batman comics", but they constantly fucking try with other characters, and they constantly fail. Shit, they gave KLARION THE WITCHBOY a solo, an it was fucking good, but people just kept on buying Scott Snyder rehashing Morrison instead. Eh, it is what It is. That's what happens when you use the same characters for the better half of a century, you basically become dependent on them.
>>
>>91273040
That's good to hear. I'd like to hear more good stories about that.

I know DC has been trying to unburn their bridges with a lot of people like Tony Isabella and even cranky old Mark Waid in order to make their old material available. Johns and Didio are apparently just great guys and like to invite all these guys out for dinner these days.

When I heard DC was moving offices I made it a point to stop by their NYC offices beforehand in hopes I'd luck out and get to see Didio getting coffee or something.
>>
File: Supes.jpg (69KB, 290x414px) Image search: [Google]
Supes.jpg
69KB, 290x414px
>>91272963
>Frank Miller probably made nothing from BvS except royalties from TDKR reprints. Mark Waid and John Byrne got nothing from Man of Steel. Gerry Conway didn't even get a fucking credit for Punisher in Daredevil S2.

None of these individuals invented those characters. They just wrote fanfiction about them, same as the people who made those movies/tv shows. They were entitled to a paycheck. Writers have been stealing similar concepts and ideas from each other for thousands of years. That's just how it works.

And honestly, while I know Frank wouldn't turn down a pile of money, I doubt he'd want to be creatively linked to David Goyer's horrible mangling of vague concepts Dave cribbed from TDKR.

I will admit that the "lazor her guts back together" scene in MoS owes a lot to Byrne's casual and offhanded physical abuse of women in his works, especially since Clark doesn't get so much as a bloody nose.

But that's more of a theme than outright plaigarism.
>>
>>91273295
>That's good to hear. I'd like to hear more good stories about that.

It was nice and also depressing at the same time. Starlin says he got more money from KGBeast appearing than all his Marvel characters appearing through all the movies combined. That either says WB/DC gave him a shitload of money or Marvel is barely giving him pennies.
>>
>>91269763
IDK DC seems to be doing a pretty good job with its legacy characters and then you have relatively new characters like red hood or even villains becoming solo characters
>>
>>91269763
Also, to make a character really successful multiple writers have to work on them over a period of years. Most of the Marvel/DC heroes would be forgotten now if multiple teams hadn't added to them. Deadpool would be nothing if only his original creators had used him.

But today's creators mostly don't want to use the OCs of other people who are alive. They want to reinvent their favorite old characters or create their own.
>>
>>91269763
DC has been establishing new heroes for decades you dumbass.

Why do casuals always lump these 2 together when they have no fucking idea what they are talking about.
>>
File: [mimes 'delet this'].png (680KB, 352x716px) Image search: [Google]
[mimes 'delet this'].png
680KB, 352x716px
>>91273338
Yeah I know legally they don't need to get money, which is why they don't. But when these movies owe so much to the specific comics to the point that the directors actually say out loud which ones they draw from and they even use the titles I think morally they deserve something.

I mean, there's a line between general themes that build upon previous works, and outright lifting shit straight out of the comics.

>>91273339
That's hilarious and sad considering the MCU has been using so much stuff lifted wholesale from Starlin's work including characters and all BvS had was a KGBeast in name only. Come to think of it, why the fuck even was it KGBeast when he had nothing to do with the Soviets? Lel.

Now this has got me interested to see who else DC has been treating right, I wonder how well Ostrander made off from Suicide Squad and if Timm and Dini made anything for Harley. Also if the families of Infantino and Fox and Kanigher and maybe even Schwartz are making anything off the Flash show. If they cut Starlin a check for fucking KGBeast they gotta be getting something.

OT but talking about that Denny O'Neil interview where he talked about his royalties for Iron Man 1 got me wanting to see if anything else that good has come from Fatman on Batman and what the fuck, all that podcast is now is Kevin Smith and some other putz just talking about movies and trailers and non-comics bullshit. This entire year the best thing there is an interview with Marc Andreyko. There are entire casts just dedicated to them reviewing Star Wars fucking Rogue One. What in the christ happened to this podcast?
>>
>>91273339
It is because of Paul Levitz. He put into effect a program years ago at WB where DC creators could make claims and get money based on characters and stories they wrote. Priest talks about it a bit on one of his blogs, where he was watching Batman Begins and saw a scene from a story he wrote years ago. He called them up and got a check sent soon after. I'm happy to hear its still in place since I think when he stepped down there was fear that it would go away.

Shooter was in charge of Marvel when this first happened, and was instrumental in getting profit-sharing on their books during the 80s (which was one of the reasons for the overuse of events and crossovers in the 90s, but that's a different story). Artists, writers, even editors; the creators of the book would get bonuses based on how well their books sold.
>>
File: mania pose.png (182KB, 2104x3928px) Image search: [Google]
mania pose.png
182KB, 2104x3928px
>>91269915
>it she became like Spider-Mummy or something shed be out more
Not so fast. Mania is everything Marvel likes to do with a character, and she barely gets any screen time. The writers who like her have done everything they can to pull her out of limbo.
>>
File: Talon_Vol_1_0.jpg (779KB, 1500x2307px) Image search: [Google]
Talon_Vol_1_0.jpg
779KB, 1500x2307px
>>91273537
Both companies make new heroes all the time, but they're either one offs that never go anywhere or fans turn away in droves because they don't give a fuck.

Not even being attached to Batman and one of the more well-known modern Batman stories could keep Talon from crashing and burning.
>>
G. Willow Wilson thought Kamala Khan would be dead in the water so she never tried to make her the next big thing.

Everyone else wants to make their new character the next big thing.
>>
>>91269763
>make new character
>doesn't pull mad numbers because they're new
>in a month they get cancelled and killed off in the background if they don't fall into limbo
>as a writer for Marvel/DC you probably don't have too much creative power over your character anyway so why bother
>>
File: moon girl riri meet cover.jpg (419KB, 1800x2767px) Image search: [Google]
moon girl riri meet cover.jpg
419KB, 1800x2767px
>>91269763
>unable to establish new heroes

Marvel does it pretty well actually
>>
>>91271710
Of course not. The corporation always owns everything.
>>
>>91271710
Anything you create is property of marvel and DC. DC has gotten better with that you will be compensated, should your character be used in TV or movies.

But then you have Marvel, where Wolverine creator hasn't made dick off of making Marvel most popular x-men.
Thread posts: 43
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.