[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT /co/ characters who became flanderized over time

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 506
Thread images: 71

File: sitcom_char_8984.jpg (53KB, 330x598px) Image search: [Google]
sitcom_char_8984.jpg
53KB, 330x598px
ITT /co/ characters who became flanderized over time
>>
>>91268516
Literally all the heroes.
>>
All four of them, watch the eddisode Spares and compare it to how they act in The End
>>
Lisa. Went from voice of reason, to the epitome of annoying liberal.

Same with Brian.
>>
Ned Flanders.
I wonder how they called that trope before the Simpsons, because it always existed in fiction.
>>
Ned Flanders!
>>
Every character on Archer.
>>
>>91268609
Doesn't modern Bart have no balls and exist just to get shit on?

I mean its not like he's a 'rebel' or a 'menace' anymore, no one thinks he's cool and the stuff he ever did is pretty tame compared to modern characters.
Kind of like US vs UK Dennis the Menace
>>
Cosmo and Wanda.

Tootie.

Fuck, every FOP character to some degree.
>>
How did this get pinned to Ned Flanders, anyway. He wasn't a complex character who was boiled down to a single trait, he was a one-dimensional character whose one-dimension changed from one thing (neighborly one-upsmanship) to a different thing (religious obsession).
>>
>>91268516
Fuck off tvtropes

> tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/WebOriginal/KeitAi
>>
File: 290px-Sandy_Cheeks.jpg (19KB, 290x328px) Image search: [Google]
290px-Sandy_Cheeks.jpg
19KB, 290x328px
She used to be strong and smart. Now she's all about science.
>>
>>91268664
>Cheryl at one point was actually sane
>Pam was normal

It's weird as hell watching the first season, it's almost like a different cast of characters populates it.
>>
File: Black_bolt.png (308KB, 1142x520px) Image search: [Google]
Black_bolt.png
308KB, 1142x520px
>>91268801
It's the
>I'm going to pretend the rest of the internet doesn't exist
episode
>>
Most shows that have been running for a substantial amount of time suffer from this. Homer is the most egregious example to me on a personal level.

His defining trait was being so lazy (both physically and mentally) it bordered on neglect. However, when it came down to it he always had a big heart. Homer's antics were funny because you could tell how much he'd rather be at home watching garbage daytime television and drinking piss beer.

Even during the end of the Golden Age his shtick seemed to turn into him constantly looking for wacky high stress situations to get into so he could pratfall for 20 minutes.
>>
>>91268609

It works for Brian since he acts like a cunt and everyone calls him a cunt.
>>
>>91268827
Modern Pam is way better than original Pam.

The point when she was bad was during the one season where she became an insane coke addict and it was super obnoxious where it became all she was.
>>
>>91268805
I really loved Patrick's original characterization. He was Spongebob's older mentor figure who thought he had everything figured out. The joke being (of course) that he was just as naive as Spongebob if not more so. The dynamic between Spongebob and Patrick was really fun, you got a sense that Spongebob really treated Patrick's ridiculous "words of wisdom" with a lot of reverence.

Turning him into a bumbling blithering idiot is the best example of new writers not "getting" a character I can think of.
>>
>>91268764
pretty sure it was coined when he started to only appear in episodes to say "howdee doodeldy doo" and then homer shut him up and he's out of the episode.
>>
File: Dennis.jpg (70KB, 560x420px) Image search: [Google]
Dennis.jpg
70KB, 560x420px
>>91268749
UK Dennis is best Dennis
>>
>>91268764
He was an annoyingly great neoghbour, who was, among the things, a devout Christian. This was the originally minor trait that grew out of control and eclipsed his character.
>>
>>91268909
>marshmallows

Everytime I see shit like that I assume some higher up bitched.
>>
>>91268909
UK Dennis would beat the shit out of the American pussy
>>
>>91268516

What's this artist's problem?
>>
>>91268851
Even the murderers and rapists.
>>
Not /co/ but that image screams Dwight Shrute.
>>
>>91268805
She was also orignally going to be Spongebob's love interest
>>
>>91268755
The others youre not wrong... but Tootie how? In the first and last episode she was in she was pining for Timmys dick, probably one of the few on that show that remained at least somewhat tame and consistent otherwise.
>>
>>91268890
Ay caramba, man.
>>
>>91268879
All she had going for during that season was her slimmer, but still deliciously thick figure.
>>
>>91268925

For any other person it would be rocks. The joke is that Walter in the glasses over there is such a softie that marshmallows do the job just fine. It'd be a waste of good rocks.
>>
>>91268664
dropped the show because of this. season 1 was perfect
>>
Peridot or pretty much every character in SU except based Greg
>>
File: faggots.png (992KB, 1278x686px) Image search: [Google]
faggots.png
992KB, 1278x686px
Everyone in this photo.
>>
Most regular characters in The Boondocks.
I still love all 3 seasons, but on rewatches, 1 just hits that perfect note of ridiculous yet tame the others don't.
>>
>>91268883
Agreed, never liked what Patrick became in the post movie seasons.
>>
>>91268987
Really? Huh, wonder how that would have worked out?
>>
>>91268909
>>91268936
What's the story on how there are two versions of Dennis anyways?
>>
>>91268924
>This was the originally minor trait
Nah, it was a big aspect of his character.
But it used to be a positive aspect. Then the writers decided to use it as to comment on the abuse on religion by bad people.
To take a good hearted character and transform him into a WBC stereotype is just awful. It shows how the times change too.
>>
>>91269835
Somehow two different people managed to come up with concepts with the same name at pretty much the same time

Except ones a bitch and the others a fuckin hardcore nutter
>>
>>91269564
New Lapis is literally fanfic-tier
The fans gave her a completely different characterization through fancomics than what she was originally presented as, and the writers of the show just got very influenced by that
now she's a snarky piece of shit
>>
Why is it that characters always seem to lose their character as their series goes on. I can't think of one thing where a character has stayed the same without being turned into 1 or 2 things about their character
>>
>>91269897
Difficulty in communication between writers copying each other imperfectly.

Or sometimes, just refinement of traits writers think work.
>>
>>91269869
Lapis died when they dedicated an entire episode to tell her to stop whining about being raped and she should just swallow i t up for good because it made the fat kid sad.
>>
>>91269897
Marketing polls shows that people adore a few lines/traits of a character, and tell the writers to push that aspect more.
>>
>>91269897
Sometimes it works for comedy because the character is going beyond what's expected from him. Then it starts to escalate.
>>
>>91269921
Don't get me started on how preachy and self-centered Steven became, most episodes are formulated to always place him in the right and have him hit the moral as hard as they can on everyone's noses.

Pisses me off more than Garnet turning into Fusion the Character, aka two midgets in a trenchcoat.
>>
Karkat.

Fuck it, every goddamn character from that webcomic.
>>
File: kat.jpg (13KB, 150x167px) Image search: [Google]
kat.jpg
13KB, 150x167px
>>91270043
If we enter webcomic territory, Kat lost most of her subtlety and appeal the day she became lesbian. Even if she does science, it's off screen, because on screen she must show that she is in a happy love relationship, always.
>>
File: gen8 grass starter.jpg (299KB, 988x587px) Image search: [Google]
gen8 grass starter.jpg
299KB, 988x587px
>>91268516
well
>>
>>91268577
It's Tom's fault, it's almost always Tom's fault
>>
>>91270155

>hiring literal tumblr fanfic authors to work on your show

Sugar screwed the pooch big time. Zuke is ruining the show.
>>
>>91270212
Were Sugar born later she would have been one of the tumblr fanfic girls
>>
>>91269800
It's pretty obvious when you look at episodes like "Ripped Pants", and some old tie-in books are pretty explicit about SB having a crush on her
But I think it was changed when they realized the show was too loose, episodic, and silly to support a romance with any kind of weight, and also because Spongebob transitioned to being more of a dumb, asexual manchild than he was in the first seasom
>>
>>91270212
Zuke doesn't work on the show anymore anon
>>
>>91269800
Remember her introduction episode, when Spongebob goes to Patrick looking for advice because he's going to drink tea with a girl
>>
>>91268516
All of them
>>
>>91269921
Sometimes I wonder if SU haters even watch the show. They're clearly alluding to specific plot points, but their knowledge of them tends to miss the most obvious and common things that would be clear to anyone who saw the episodes they're complaining about.
>>
>>91270279

Has it gotten any better? I dropped it a few months ago.
>>
>>91270279
I think he's talking about how we have at least 5 more Zuke episodes left in the season, also it was never comfirmed if she was fire or not
>>
>>91269966
Garnet has more personality now than she did before.
>>
File: dale gribble.png (78KB, 197x264px) Image search: [Google]
dale gribble.png
78KB, 197x264px
He kinda became Kramer after a while.
>>
>>91269434
>season 1
>not seaons 2-4

pleb
>>
File: 3423404-2.jpg (55KB, 400x603px) Image search: [Google]
3423404-2.jpg
55KB, 400x603px
this guy turning into doctor rape in the mid 00s
>>
>>91269921
He was not raped. She was the rapist.
>>
>>91270362
The whole "you don't get it" excuse doesn't work. That episode had no redeeming value it's the epitome of "making Steven sad is the worst crime and it's always your fault because he's always right" plot garbage that make everybody drop that show.
>>
>>91270391
more lines != more depth.
>>
>>91270391
A shitty personality. Old Garnet was better
>>
>>91270439
Well, you don't. What you're talking about never happened in the show. Whatever you're trying to reference, you've distorted it so badly that I can't even tell what it's meant to be.
>>
>>91269921
>being raped
>being
Lapis apologists are so fucking stupid holy shit
>>
>>91270391
>>91270456
She has the exact same amount of depth. Before the reveal she was just the mysterious aloof mystical guru. That's not depth, that's an archetype that HINTS at greater depths. She gave the impression of having depth without actually revealing any. Now she's just two retarded midgets constantly having sex. Her depth is revealed, and she's as shallow as a puddle.
>>
>>91270435
It was more like a hate fuck, but tumblr decided to blame everything on Jasper even after the episode says that they were both toxic for each other
>>
>>91270395
to be fair, every character in KOTH became a wild caricature of themselves in the later seasons, it was just worst with Dale since he was already a little less grounded than the others
>>
>>91270487
>>91270500
At no moment she was agreeing with the fusion. The whole "I asked for it" falls into the show telling us Steven was right to tell her to shut up.
>>
>>91270500
It's like when you pressure a girl into prom sex and then she inverts her vagina into an eight foot cock and starts ass raping you, shouting "ARE YOU ENJOYING YOURSELF?". And then she blames you for being the one who started the rape train when she just took the brakes off and kept pounding away for months until you were both so violated you both started enjoying it.

Really not sure what Sugar was going for by calling Malachite an example of bad relationships when Jasper just treated it as a battle tactic and Lapis was the one who went through with it for incredibly retarded reasons.
>>
>>91270554
She did agree to it. Right next to the very same ocean people like to forget she stole and tried to kill all the main characters with. The ocean she then used to trap Jasper in the fusion.

She was in power pretty much the entire time.
>>
>>91270507
Garnet is smug, self-confident, self-absorbed, and self-righteous. She likes to think that she's better than people, and generally doesn't bother to engage with people unless they're personally important to her. She's struggling with her role as leader after the loss of Rose, and wants to appear stronger and more unfazeable than she actually is, for the sake of her team. She is prone to immediate, forceful action; she favors simple and direct solutions to problems even if they aren't the most practical, and she also tends to lash out at people or things which annoy her.

A lot of her feelings are related to fusion, because fusion is important to her. That doesn't mean her personality consists of one word; it's not just what she's about, it's how she's about it.
>>
>>91270525
dunno, some characters were one note from the start and didn't change much imo, like bill, boomhauer, or Luane. Hank didn't feel too flanderized either, more like victim of character change to fit the plot at time. Bobby was probably the worst there for that matter, but it's kind of the opposite of Flanderisation.
Peggy evolved to be annoying too but it doesn't feel like flanderization nor inconsistency to me. They just wanted her to be like that.
>>
>>91270525
Hank was actually less reasonable and humanized early on though. He became much more someone you're supposed to relate to and root for instead of the satire he was used for early on. So in that way his character actually grew, reverse flanderization if you will
>>
File: IMG_2272.jpg (78KB, 960x960px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2272.jpg
78KB, 960x960px
>>91270391
She feels like less of a character knowing now that she isn't really real
She's just a fusion of two other characters that we don't get enough screen time for and only personality trait is that they really love each other and really like fucking.
Knowing all this, knowing Garnets feelings and personality isn't real and just the projection of what ruby and sapphire feel takes away all of the characterization she once had mute and pointless
>>
>>91270353
How so?
>>
>>91270554
Jasper offered to fuse with Lapis, and she agreed under false pretenses. Jasper tried to escape, but Lapis forced her to remain fused, dragged her to the bottom of the ocean and tormented her for several months straight, while she was struggling to escape the whole time.

There, that's how THAT really happened. I have no idea where you got that weird part about Steven from.
>>
>>91270611
That's the thing, Mike Judge's characters for the most part are all so simple conceptially that it's hard to water them down much (how would one fladerize Beavis and Butthead?), and in KOTH's case the writing was consistently solid enough that they all actually got a fair amount of development over the years. Luanne, Peggy, and Dale all drifted the most (Luanne especially got noticably dumber) but it held up better over 13 years than almost any other show has managed. It only took Chowder a season and a half to ruin all the characters.
Though Bob's Burgers has been on for 7 and I've noticed no real difference at all since season 2. It has been exactly the same thing since then and I enjoy how comfy that is
>>
>>91270639
>they can't even stand to be away from each other
>Hit the Diamond proves they can't keep themselves from fucking even when someone else's safety relies on a successful ruse
>lowkey flirting in the Zoo too
>the one time they actually willfully spend away from each other is because Ruby was mad Pearl tricked them into sex but Sapphire was willing to let it go for the sake of group unity

Ruby and Sapphire are useless horny rocks. It's a wonder Garnet was as good as she was when those made up her whole.
>>
>>91268883
Definitely. Patrick is a completely different character now.
>>
>>91268618
Don't know what they'd call it, but you can honestly recreate OP's image with Link's de-evolution into Toon Link.
>>
>>91270353
I disagree, honestly. The only place I see this is on /co/.
>>
>>91268982

If so, you'd need to add a fourth arrow leading from the bottom-left to top-left since paradoxically as we reached the end of the series he started getting really grounded and well-rounded and respectable as a character again.
>>
>>91270701
>lowkey flirting in the Zoo

When was that?
>>
File: blank.jpg (60KB, 417x465px) Image search: [Google]
blank.jpg
60KB, 417x465px
>>91270099
but anon gays are so interesting
>>
>>91270736
Gumball started out very naive but cute and evolved into a know-it-all asshole
Nicole was a hard working, exhausted but caring and capable mother who became a ball of firey rage
The rest of them really are pretty much the same though
>>
>>91269897
I could be wrong, but Friendship is Magic from what I've heard has stayed largely consistent.
>>
>>91268516
Every single character in this highly overrated show
>>
>>91270639
I think you're putting her in a Catch-22 situation. Garnet isn't a character because she's just a fusion and not her own person, and any traits she displays are actually those of her components. But Ruby and Sapphire don't count as characters because they have so little screen time and the only trait they display on their own is wanting to be Garnet again.

But consider this. If Garnet displays a personality trait, whose personality is it? Hers, Ruby's, or Sapphire's?

It's unfair to say she's not a character because she's a fusion. Technically, that would make her two characters, and in practice she's entirely capable of being characterized. Everything she does is something that Ruby and Sapphire do together. Her pride, her anger, her love for her friends, her dry wit, the way she handles her powers, the pressure she feels as a leader, those are all part of them and their relationship.

Garnet being a fusion means she isn't just one character, but she's definitely more than zero.
>>
>>91270720
But Toon Link is just one of the many Links in the reincarnation cycle part of third timeline even there like 3 Toon links, but at the sane time Link dosen't have much of a character
>>
>>91270165
Explain, please
>>
>>91270802
Purple Smart got worse, Crusty Cunt Flakes is a bigger cunt. The baby dragon is useless. All the main cast otherwise stayed fairly consistent.
>>
>>91268664
Id argue that season 1 archer was before the characters found their voices. The show kinda needs them to seem flanderized because the world itself is a flanderization of ours.
>>
>>91270838
Zuko started off as a Saturday morning cartoon villain and had an actual character arc. Sokka grew a bit but was usually relegated to being the wacky guy. Katara got worse. Toph started off basic and got worse and worse and worse. Azula was pretty much the same until she went REALLY nuts, and aside from being rushed it wasn't much of a stretch. Aang did grow but it was less pronounced than Zuko.
>>
>>91270099
>Character enters a lesbian relationship
>Instantly becomes boring, every scene is about their lesbian relationship, somehow gets a shitload of spotlight where nothing really happens
>Fans practically drown themselves in their juices gushing about how amazing their horribly bland relationship and devoid of chemistry their relationship became when it became romantic
>But who cares about good writing. Lesbians, amirite?
Happened to Homestuck to.

Worst part is that Kanaya and Rose's relationship is treated as working well despite the fact that it wouldn't without serious character development. But seeing as that would be interesting and imply that lesbian relationships had to deal with the same issues are mere morals it couldn't happen.
>>
>>91270736
Are you kidding me? There are 3 different Gumball.
>>
>>91270890
The biggest change is probably Cyril who they kind of retconned in Season 2 from being a schlubby underdog who was genuinely in love with Lana to being every bit as pathetic and as terrible a human being as everyone else in the show. In Season 1 they tried to make him the "normal" one.
>>
>>91270943
We're talking about flanderization, not character development. It may shock /co/ to learn this, but they're not mutually exclusive.
>>
>>91270611
Leanne had it the worst probably she was originally mildly ignorant white trash that was secretly more like a daughter to Hank than him than he cared to admit. Then she became a redneck too stupid to walk and breath at the same time.
>>
>>91270865
Not that guy but Tom is just pretty unfunny as a writer and would resort to flanderisation for his comedy. Also he used a friend of Ed's that he didn't like as a metaphor for the cancer that killed him on the last episode of Ed's show.

Tom's kind of a massive prick.Always blame Tom.
>>
File: South_Park_Season_14.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
South_Park_Season_14.png
1MB, 1366x768px
Fucking everyone
>>
>>91271075
They ruined Stan. He used to be my favorite.
>>
>>91269897
A lot of times, especially with comedy shows, they just realize that a character either isn't funny enough or is too hard to write for, so they give them a new characterization (usually by emphasizing something minor about them, so it feels more natural). Zoidberg from Futurama is a good example. The writers have outright admitted that they were having trouble figuring out what the hell to do with him, so they made him more pathetic.
>>
>>91270849
That's what makes her feel like she isn't real
All those emotions, everything she does, that's not her but the decisions of two other people. She's two people strapped together, she's not her own character, she's everything someone else is doing.

That thing you mentioned about who's personality is she displaying just furthers that she's not real.

I get what you're saying about how two characters adds to her and everything but I'm not paying for all that
>>
>>91270876
>Crusty Cunt Flakes
Who, Celestia?
>>
>>91271002
>S1: competent enough to fix Hank's truck
>S3: brain-dead
There was a fan theory that the Mega-Lo Mart explosion gave her brain damage and desu I'm inclined to believe it.
>>
>>91271152
No, Sanic Spindash.The one everyone wants to cum inside of.
>>
>>91268805
Every Spongebob character got flanderized post-movie.
I remember hearing Hillenburg was back on the show. Was this true and did anything change because of it? I cant seem to find anything on it besides that he is back, but not sure how big his role is.
>>
>>91268987
Well the porno is canon, isn't it?
>>
>>91270353
Some of the characters yes but I would say some of those flanderizations helped the show overall.
Originally, Richard was not only an idiot but a douchebag who was a danger not only to himself but to everybody around him (not did-similar to modern Peter Griffin), an issue when the show wanted you to feel sympathy for him. Even though he still had likability issues to this day, he is just a general idiot these days and in some ways a kind idiot which is much easier to stomach than a douche idiot.
>>
>>91270391
Before:
>As the leader of the Crystal Gems, I..."
After:
>"As a Fusion, I..."

Suuuure, more "personality".
>>
>>91270876
Shit so it's true? Even MLP isn't safe from the "multiple seasons" curse?
>>
>>91268618
That's litterally where the name came from.
>>
>>91272766
Well, yeah, but he was wondering what they called it before Flanders, and thus before the term was coined. "Caricatured de-evolution" isn't quite accurate but even that's too wordy.
>>
>>91270943
A-fucking-men
>>
>>91272766
Writers didn't wait the 90's to make characters become caricatures of themselves.
>>
>>91271687
>The one everyone wants to cum inside of.
that doesn't exactly narrow it down
>>
>>91270605
This, very much. But I think Garnet favoring direct solutions is mostly due to Sapphire's tendency to overthink and complicate on the spot, forcing Ruby to make a call on her own. Garnet is much more reliable if she has time to go over possibilities. In Room for Ruby she predicted successfully where Steven and the barnmates would land, narrowing the context down to two options.
Garnet is only looking cool while she has time on her side. She proved that she can be a total wreck in the moment when Priyanka called.
That was mishandled as mishandled gets.
Which might give us another derived trait: Garnet is shit at lying because both constituents are bad at it. Ruby lacks in calculation and Sapphire stands without her frame of reference and ability to choose outcomes by probability. That's why she froze before the Diamonds but ultimately could choose with some confidence because she was able to fall back on court protocol to mask an obvious lie just enough so Blue could take the room with her melodrama.
Had that not happened, Yellow might have prodded and come to find out what's up.
>>
>>91269564
At this point the only character i still like is Amy
>>
>>91272589
Not him, but one aspect of herself doesn't cancel out the other.
>>
I'm not really sure anyone from Adventure Time got flanderized. Maybe Ice King when they doubled down on him being sad, pathetic and ineffectual and he lost the threatening villain spark he once had but that's about it.
>>
>>91272999
No, this is the one EVERYONE wants to cum inside. Not the one a large majority of people want to cum inside, which is all the other ones.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kXt5VQiM-Co
>>
>>91272975
I think Flanders was just the first character the phenomenon was studied on.
Most early cartoons were either too jokey and inconsistent or not worth paying attention to for long enough to notice any loss of depth. Simpsons was a breakout hit and initially so compelling a large number of learned critics would talk about for long enough to notice how Ned changed and that there is no word for it.
>>
>>91269566
You know there is a 4th season, right?
>>
>>91268516
Basically, every major character in a show with more than 2 seasons.
>>
>>91269921
>>91269869
>>91270500
will lapis discourse ever match vriscourse?
probs not
>>
>>91272589
Her personality isn't just what she's about, it's how she's about it.

Here's a thought. If you think a character's personality can be summed up as "X: the Character", compare them to another such character and swap their values for X. What would it be like if Garnet cared about Rose Quartz instead of Pearl, and Pearl was the one who was all about fusion? They all have something that means a lot to them, but they handle them in their own unique ways.
>>
File: The Problem with SU.png (35KB, 736x217px) Image search: [Google]
The Problem with SU.png
35KB, 736x217px
>>91269564
>>
>>91272313
>Originally, Richard was not only an idiot but a douchebag who was a danger not only to himself but to everybody around him
So is current Richard. He is even worse now. Remember shit like the Diet.
>>
>>91270353
Richard has at least remained consistently shit
>>
>>91269897
Metalocalypse has stayed largely the same overtime. The minor change I remember is that they made Toki a little more childish, but that's about it.
>>
>>91268925
>>91269390
if i remember from watching a video, marshmallows can be pretty painful when shot out of a blowgun
>>
>>91273434
Kek
>>
>>91269564
Connie is now the only good character in the show
>>
>>91273246
It's hard to flanderise people who are only ever in weird places, facing madness.
There is so much that is just "stuff happens" and inconsistent reactions, nobody ever got nailed to something.
Princess Bubblegum is so wildly, violently inconsistent between episodes, you just can't tell where her net movement goes.
>mad scientist with no morality
>cute girl who wants to escape the weight of the crown
>accomplished diplomat
>quest giver
>action girl who does shit by herself
>has mild erotic tension with Marceline
>absolutely is a lesbian in a difficult relationship
>despotic monarch who rules as an absolutist over her less-than-people
>political aggressive realist sabotaging an ally before she even asks for a disarmament treaty
>approachable teacher
>distant, vilified ruler
This shit just doesn’t add up to one person!
She could be several (2-4) distinct characters with the extremes she is taken to.
So she's too little (or maybe too much?) of a person to get to be flanderised.
>>
>>91271072
He also likes ska.
>>
Everyone on It's Always Sunny.
>>
File: 1465759834828.png (1002KB, 610x924px) Image search: [Google]
1465759834828.png
1002KB, 610x924px
Is there a single long running comedy series where the main characters didn't turn into parodies of themselves?
The only one I can think of is The Venture Bros.
>>
File: shudder.png (136KB, 348x288px) Image search: [Google]
shudder.png
136KB, 348x288px
>>91273606
>Connie "mastered swordsmanship in a couple of months" Maheshwaran
>good character

No, she became a flawless mary-sue who acted "woe is me, I'm just misunderstood" when she broke a kid's arm and ran away. Hell, her biggest development as an assistant of the Crystal Gems has been made off-screen, she only now exists as a literal plot-device so she and Steven can turn into Stevonnie.

Doesn't help that she's considered the smarter of the two and Steven acts like a retard around her only to have her give the moral instead of him, she's like the perfect child to the writers, they don't want to be harsh on her with any form of consequences or mistakes.
>>
>>91273696
Joseph and Dio got flanderized pretty hard
>>
>>91273621
You're definitely right to some extent but I feel like a good amount of those traits could work together if you try hard enough to squeeze them into place. And they did that thing where they sort of retconned her earlier personality out of existence y making her someone who was always a badass ruler lady who defended her land with everything she had. If you really want to give them credit you could call that character development but that makes no sense because if she was always like that she didn't develop into anything new, she just had a different personality at the start of the show that got erased when they came up with stuff they liked better.

I feel like people consider PB to be really multifaceted when it's more likely that she's just inconsistent in places, but she still works enough for me I think.
>>
>>91273724
JoJo is neither /co/ nor comedy
>>
File: toy selling characters.png (640KB, 647x1418px) Image search: [Google]
toy selling characters.png
640KB, 647x1418px
>>91270802
>>91270876
>>91271152
>>91271687
>>91272999
>>91273266
People. In this show, there are some secondary characters whose personality has actually developed more than the main cast; overall, there are less secondary characters who have been flanderized than the protagonists.
>>
>>91268883
One other thing: Patrick was the big guy to Spongebob's little guy. He got shrunk down to be another goofball with Spongebob, losing the dynamic you mentioned.
>>
>>91271096
Stan was Trey's self-insert.

He's probably the smartest of the four (Cartman included) but his ethical choices lead him to problems. He loves being popular and having status; he's also an 8 y/old boy with the mind of a cynical, bitter 50+ y/old Man. People like that are rational but naive and, unlike Kyle, he doesn't like to grandstand or flaunt his moral superiority.

Early on Stan was nearly untouchable because Trey wrote pretty much everything. He became self-aware a few seasons back and started to add in some character flaws outside of a kooky Dad.
>>
>>91273357
We don't like to talk about it here. It sucks. Everyone knows it sucks. All discussions begin and end with that consensus.
>>
>>91268801
>WebOriginal
But this aired on Tokyo MX
>>
>>91274124
>It sucks. Everyone knows it sucks.
Incorrect.
>>
>>91268883
I never really noticed this but now that I think of it it makes sense
>Showing Spongebob how to be mature in Grandma's Kisses
>Patrick helping Spongebob pass his driving test
>Spongebob runs to Patrick to ask about air and Patrick confidently explains to Spongebob that it's just "fancy talk" (putting on airs)
>>
>>91273606
>not Greg

Wrong opinion, bud
>>
>>91274250
He also explained what "sentence enhancers" were.
>>
>>91273459
Toki was also origionally the member of the band who blew off practice constantly because of 'motivation' issues. They kept him being less a part of the creative process but Murderface really took over that role.
>>
>>91268516
The characters in this show, namely the secondaries. They go from dimwitted assholes to downright evil and blind.
>>
>>91273701
She was great early on, Stevonnie kind of ruined her because she doesn't have to DO anything to help and her unique ways of helping and interacting with Steven have been lost to that weirdly designed thing.
>>
>>91270943
Zuko was the worst handled character in the series.
>>
>>91274377
Explain to me how you could possibly think this please
>>
>>91273724
Joseph got old and DIO was 200 years alone, that's enough to change someone
>>
>>91270353
for Gumball himself it was an overall improvement(he was originally too nice and naive for the whole "everyone and the universe taking turns crapping on him" thing that was one of the main sources of comedy in the show to work properly, it's why they made him more self aware and more of a jerk)

>>91270395
well at least with Dale there's a decent enough excuse for it, what with him starting out as being kinda crazy, one can see it as him just getting crazier over the course of the series, also his was a rare case of actually becoming more complex due to said changes

>>91270525
honestly the only characters who really got negatively afflicted by it were Peggy and Bobby, and in the former's case they actually backpedaled on her flanderization a little, and with the latter they actually occasionally managed to make it work in their favor

>>91273246
well there was Finn for a while being a useless depressed sadsack
>>
>>91273357
>Boondocks
>4 seasons

Nah m8
>>
>>91270720
What? It just kind of jumped from the OoT/MM style right to the toon style, there was no change over time. That's why there was such a harsh initial reaction to going from the darkest game to the lightest. Then it's followed by Twilight Princess, so I have no idea how you're putting these thoughts together.
>>
>>91269564
>Original Steven: Heart of the team that had to learn to grow into his leadership role
>Current Steven: Retarded kid that cries about fucking everything

>Original Pearl: Perfectionist and worried, dotting motherly-type personality
>Current Pearl: Neurotic lesbian that constantly obsesses over muh Rose

>Original Garnet: Strong, stoic, and cool-headed leader of the group
>Current Garnet: Muh fusion

>Original Amethyst: Laid back slacker
>Current Amethyst: Garbage personified

>Original Peridot: Analytical scientist and fish out of water
>Current Peridot: A wacky green dorito buttplug

>Original Lapis: Another fish out of water that just wants to go home
>Current Lapis: Constantly in bitch-mode

I don't even know why I watch this show anymore.
>>
>>91269897
I think it's more that the writers find what everyone likes about a character, latches on to it, then makes that thing their defining trait.
>>
>>91274474
Finn's thing ain't flanderization, him being a mopey sadsack wasn't a part of his original characterization at all. Just character development.
>>
File: 1482478573645.jpg (267KB, 1088x1579px) Image search: [Google]
1482478573645.jpg
267KB, 1088x1579px
>>91270412
>Some hack writer will never mistake the two Dr. Lights and write Kimiyko as crazed rapist
>>
>>91271075
>>91273998
I just hate what Cartman has become.
>>
>>91274572
So Steven, Pearl, and Amethyst, and Peridot are the same they've always been?
>>
File: The-Boondocks-Season-4-Trailer.jpg (132KB, 620x320px) Image search: [Google]
The-Boondocks-Season-4-Trailer.jpg
132KB, 620x320px
Season 4 can suck my dick.
>>
File: 1490331037162.png (11KB, 466x304px) Image search: [Google]
1490331037162.png
11KB, 466x304px
>>91270959
>>91270752
>>91270099
I hate lesbians so god damn much.
Most authors write them out of wank material and few can even write good heterosexual relationships, let alone tackle a lesbian one.
And compound that with the fact that lesbians are so "safe". Every pleb loves them. Guys love them because >muh dick and girls love them because it's progressive and tolerant and cute.

Labeling any character in any kind of story is a narrative death sentence. It becomes taboo to treat them as actual characters that have flaws because now everybody just wants to watch them have dyke sex.

happened it Kat, Rose, Garnet, Marceline and PB. Every goddamn character that's be touched by this wave of shitty writing.
>>
>>91271689
He's been involved day-to-day overseeing the production for season 10.
The animation is without a doubt improved over other post-movie years, and the writing marginally better. I wouldn't say it's "good again" though, just a little less awful
>>
File: muppets.jpg (58KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
muppets.jpg
58KB, 450x450px
>>91268883
>I appreciate SpongeBob on a much deeper level than you do
Kidding. You raise a valid point. But still.
>>
>>91270701
They absolutely have a co-dependent relationship that's insanely unhealthy but the show treats it as the epitome of one.
>>
>>91274572
Ever since we got back into the cancerous filler Townie episodes after the disappointing Human Zoo mini-arc, I dropped it.

They're always used by the writers so they can have Steven preach about off-topic shit that appeals to them like "don't call them rock people, it's offensive!", instead of having magic and action infused to said Townie episodes like how Sugar envisioned in Season 1 so they can be entertaining while being "comfy", but we can't have nice things if Sugar doesn't put some stern rules for the storyboarders and writers to follow to reinforce quality, and that right there seriously harms the quality of the show.

Anyway, what you posted is exactly how I see the characters now as compared to their introduction and first arc, so thanks for putting it in a better format than I would've.
>>
File: IMG_5099.jpg (1MB, 1400x906px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5099.jpg
1MB, 1400x906px
These aren't the same characters anymore but that's because they've all genuinely grown. This show has so much development
>>
>>91275008
Can you blame them? The fans eat that shit up so fucking much

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G5x5BzSidf4

Why not do it when you are going to insane praise regardless of the content?
>>
>>91275008
100% This
>>
>>91274572
exactly how I feel and they are already doing it to the diamonds. The fucking blue diamond is literally Sad from inside out.

Personally I feel they really suck at character development and once the show stopped having a main antagonist (peridot then Jasper) the threat become just homeworld. A faceless threat. So with no current conflict they had to focus on all SoL character development and they just dropped the ball hard.

Peridot and Lapis especially are bad but I fucking LOVE how Steven's literally doesn't change. Like it's a plot point of how he doesn't grow or mature mentally or physically.
>>
File: IMG_4286.jpg (38KB, 400x298px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4286.jpg
38KB, 400x298px
>>91275006
Season 4 was kind of unwatchable
I'd always thought that due to the escalating absurdity s1 was like Black Peanuts, s2 Black Simpsons, and s3 Black South Park
s4 is like Black the Final Season of Roseanne
>>
>>91268851
Stop using the c word in this board.
>>
>>91275167
Final Season of Roseanne?
>>
File: FairlyOddParents_Cosmo_01.jpg (56KB, 667x623px) Image search: [Google]
FairlyOddParents_Cosmo_01.jpg
56KB, 667x623px
>>91268516
>>
>>91270165
Even in Edds later animations Matt became more self obsessive and stupider
>>
>>91275082
This is the literal opposite of flanderization. The Venture Bros. characters started off as Johnny Quest parodies and gained a healthy dose of character growth throughout the seasons.
>>
>>91269564
Greg and Pearl are the only good characters left on this shit heap of a show.
>>
>>91275343
You like Pearl? Most of her character revolves around loving and missing Greg's dead wife / Steven's dead mother.
>>
>>91274572
Amy has always been a garbage midget though. Her room is literally a junkyard.
>>
>>91275192
As in the last season of the popular sitcom Roseanne. Like all long-running sitcoms it eventually rotted into an unwatchable puddle of muck.
>>
>>91268827
Even though Cheryl became flanderized, she was still kind of crazy at the beginning of the show, obsessing over choking

https://youtu.be/jiRfkmJapAQ
>>
>>91274283
Greg is shit tier, he's a shit father that we are ordered to feel sympathetic with despite having not a single excuse for anything bad he did and still do.
>>
>>91275343
Well, I agree with Greg being the only good character, but not Pearl.

Her character nowadays revolves around nothing but MUH ROSE, so much so that she was interested in a woman just because she vaguely looks like Rose and nothing else.
>>
>>91270959
No the worse part was when Vriska came back to life and somehow stopped Rose's alcoholism and somehow fixed all of Rose's and Kanaya's relationship flaws by randomly swatting a wine glass out of Rose's hands.
>>
>>91275561
I almost get the impression that her epic triumph over that stupid obsession isn't going to come until the end of the show. Like 80% of her character is just, "literally will not fucking develop". Except for the time she went full rebel, for yeah. notRose. Why else.
>>
Moe and Principal Skinner
Randy Marsh and Mr. Garrison
>>
>>91270987
he cheated on her in season 1, he as inept and jerk since the beginning. he just hid it more.
>>
>>91275473
Such as?
>>
>>91275473
At least he's self-aware and tries to be better than most cartoon fathers.

>>91275561
She hardly even looked like her in comparison. What bothers me more is that they didn't even bother to give her a VA or a real name.

I think that episode was just a one-shot at this point with Pearl since the mystery dyke is NEVER BROUGHT UP AGAIN AFTER THAT.
>>
>>91269062
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AN1mlcA0AuM
>>
>>91270353
Richard has stayed shitty since day 1 and with Darwin, he's always been the punching bag to Gumball, so the quality of his character is directly related to the quality of Gumball's.
The other three family members are awful, but the true cancer of the show is the use of the student characters.
>>
>>91271099
I never forgot how in season 1 Zoidberg was supposed to be rich (he had a first class cabin in the Titanic episode) but from season 2 on he was the poorest member of Planet Express to the point that; in the post-revival episodes, he was literally homeless.
>>
>>91272826
Character decay?
>>
File: IMG_0112.jpg (51KB, 508x535px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0112.jpg
51KB, 508x535px
>>91268755
Tfw I remember Cosmo was a reasonable and lovable character in the pilot
>>
>>91268516
Ben Tennyson fits like a T.
>>
>>91274572
Nice pasta.
>>
Warden of Super jail became too much of a manchild.
But in the end the formula changes and Mike Lazzo's tightening constraints were what killed the show.
>>
>>91270439
>making Steven sad is the worst crime and it's always your fault because he's always right
Reminds me of that shit episode where Steven mind swapped with Lars and suffered no consequences for it.
>>
>>91276256
Wasnt he always one?
>>
File: dispair.gif (2MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
dispair.gif
2MB, 480x270px
>>91268609
After rewatching season 1 & 2 it's almost alarming how much of a cry for help Lisa was.
>Hey, Mom, these paintings are good. I know first hand how fragile young talent is. I’d love to hear the particulars of how your gift was squashed.

>Bart: Hey, Lis, what do you call those guys in chess that don't matter?
>Lisa: Well, a blockaded bishop is of little value, but I think you're referring to a pawn.
>Bart: Right, I am a pawn.
>Lisa: I know. It's times like this I'm thankful that Dad has little to no interest in almost everything I do.

A gifted kid with no one to nurture her. Ignored by family, shit on at school, already aware that she has no future but manages to love her shit family anyway.

How she went from that to an annoying over-confident liberal know-it-all so fast is anyone's guess, but I guess part of it was to focus more on the comedy and Lisa being on suicide watch didn't mesh with that.
>>
>>91275008
of all the girls to be gay it had to be the better troll girl
>>
>>91268516
Has there ever been a case where a character has actually reverted back to the original character personality? Like there's a Flanderized character that slowly becomes more reasonable and less stereotypical?
>>
>>91275204
I want to say the moment his voice got really high pitched is when he became nothing but a retard
>>
>>91276416
Archer kinda has. They're still flanderized compared to how the show started, but they've been toned down somewhat from the absolute worst it was.
>>
>>91268516
The Guardians of the Galaxy after the movie came out were just turned into Flanderized versions of the movie characters by hack writers.
>>
>>91276416
Some might argue John from homestuck

In the first acts of the comic, he was a playful, prankster-ish character who definitely wasn't above being an asshole.
Around them middle of the comic he became a friendly doormat to everyone else and he became quite a bit dumber in all his interactions with other characters.
Towards the end, he started acting like an asshole at times again and became a bit more at ends with everyone and everything.

But at the same time, the writing in the last legs of the comic was terrible and I don't think it was deliberate at all.
>>
File: family-guy-main[1].jpg (64KB, 810x567px) Image search: [Google]
family-guy-main[1].jpg
64KB, 810x567px
>>91275204
i've stopped watching that since long ago, what did they do to the show? curious

Also, why has no one even mentioned family guy?
>>
File: Cosmo_as_cosma.jpg (38KB, 462x349px) Image search: [Google]
Cosmo_as_cosma.jpg
38KB, 462x349px
>>91276553
the curse of john numbers affected all cosmos.
>>
>>91274572
>Current Steven: Retarded kid that cries about fucking everything
The problem isn't that Steven is retarded, it's that as a protagonist he's become infallible. He's the good guy and everyone is either his friend or mortal enemy, no through any fault of his own though. He doesn't go to school but that's no problem because somehow his social skills are amazing and even if he did go to school he'd ace every test with no effort. Everyone he talks to will either have a change of heart or just straight disappear for long periods of time (Jasper). He's so pure of heart he feels guilt for character that have actually tried to kill him and he just defended himself (Eyeball and Bismuth) This shit has gotten ridiculous.
>>91270701
It vexes me that they have co-dependent relationship but none of the writers see this as a bad thing. Being lovey dovey with your girlfriend all the time and being incapable of leaving them for more than a moment is not healthy, it's downright detrimental to everyone around them. Is no one on the Crewniverse married?
>>
>>91268883
OG Patrick was funny because his dynamic with SpongeBob is something you see IRL all the time. The pair of dorks where one deludes himself into thinking he's not a dork and the other embraces it is such a real thing.
>>
File: What.png (247KB, 640x367px) Image search: [Google]
What.png
247KB, 640x367px
>>91276025
>the true cancer of the show is the use of the student characters
What
>>
>>91276631
>implying co-dependence is bad
>>
>>91276553
Forgone conclusion?
>>
>>91276750
It's horrible. In real life it's suicide. In cartoons it's just lazy uninteresting waste of time. The characters had no reason to fall in love before that state was switched on on them, and since then, 0 evolution, and it's never gonna change because the writers are oblivious to it and see it as a perfect state only a nazi shitlords would criticize.
>>
>>91276553
One thing I will say is I never got the whole Meg thing.
>>
>>91276805
shut up Meg
>>
File: Screenshot_20170404-155948.jpg (73KB, 1078x157px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170404-155948.jpg
73KB, 1078x157px
>>91268516
The entire cast.
>>
>>91269859
When the American Dennis stared he was not a bitch,almost a psychopath. Calmed down later.
>>
>>91276805
You know I was just thinking about that today. If the writers hate Meg so much, why not just have her ship off to college or something? Removing her really wouldn't change any kind of dynamic.
>>
>>91269564
>mfw you're not wrong
>>
>>91270865

Tom is a mentally and emotionally unstable manchild and libcuck who is only successful now because of his past associations with Eddsworld. He's notorious in the British Youtube scene for being unreliable and hard to work with, as well as being flaky when it comes to paying people he commissions on time and in full. He's constantly pissing other British comedy Youtubers off because on top of all of that he doesn't know how to keep his mouth shut and has burned countless bridges in the community over the years.

Edd died five years ago and Tom is STILL hung up on it. He tried to make it all about him when Edd died and continues to use Edd's death as a crutch and excuse for why he's a fat, immature piece of shit to this day.
>>
>>91268664
but i liked flanderised archer
>>
>>91276400
It's sort of stemming from the same area I feel.
Lisa's cries for help stem from the fact she's WAY TOO smart for a 7-8 year old and it would come out in different ways like her interests in things that someone like her shouldn't be interested in and also observations like
>Well, I wish that you wouldn't. Because, aside from the fact that he has the same frailties as all human beings, he's the only father I have. Therefore, he is my model of manhood, and my estimation of him will govern the prospects of my adult relationships. So I hope you bear in mind that any knock at him is a knock at me. And I am far too young to defend myself against such onslaughts.
That would warp itself into her absurd maturity becoming a know it all.
>>91276873
They probably don't, it's more she's their Zoidberg/Gil/Moleman but they're on a show that has become really malicious and bleak so it comes across as way more meanspirited
Like Meg before cancellation was just a whiny teenage girl who hates her family for embarrassing her not the most to take advantage of. So they just took the few jokes about her being the overlooked child and being ugly and pushed them to 11.
The writers are just lazy there's no personal spite against Meg, no more than towards the rest of the show atleast.
>>
>>91268883
Yeah, Patrick went from your shitty advice giving friend who's a little lazy to an absolute buffoon. It's pretty disappointing.
>>
>>91268516
>cast_of_archer.jpg
>>
>>91268516
flander never really became "flanderized"

he was always that way.
you just didn't see him as much because he wasn't as big a part of the show in the early episodes.
>>
>>91268749
Pretty much.

Bart is pretty pathetic
>>
>>91275440
>she was still kind of crazy at the beginning of the show, obsessing over choking
and this had to be dropped for no other reason whatsoever beyond UK laws changing prohibiting the depiction of choking, spanking, etc. in media
>>
>>91276873
They dont hate her, she's just the punching bag. There was an entire episode devoted to her actually being the one that holds the family together.
>>
>>91275008
You've hit the nail on the head when it comes to describing the problem with pandering to progressives. You're forced the play it incredibly safe with the "diverse" characters or the readership will turn on you in an instant.
>>
>>91268749
what's UK dennis the menace? does he trick women into getting abortions?
>>
>>91276727
You think I want to look at the boring ass Cal-Arts bean faces that are the Watterson's when I watch this show?
I sure as hell don't. I want Gumball and Darwin to get into wacky shenanigans with the students.
>>
>>91275902
>since the mystery dyke is NEVER BROUGHT UP AGAIN AFTER THAT.
Its been like what, ten episodes since then? Don't let the length of time between episodes confuse you when it comes to length of time in-show.
>>
>>91268755
>Cosmo used to be reasonable, just not book smart
>Now he's a pants on head retard who can't tie his own shoes
>>
>>91277269
But that anon was responding to the person calling the other students the cause of the cancer.
>>
>>91275008

how does it feel to be such a bigoted faggot
>>
>>91277298
he must have a huge dick to keep wanda around
>>
>>91274283
Oh shit I forgot about him
He is the best tier character
>>
>>91273433
You've forgotten about episodes like The Laziest (purposefully devises an elaborate game to get his children to do his work for him) or The Prank (goes full psycho on pranking Gumball and Darwin (tried to drop a brick on him) despite signs of legitimate fear and the property damage he seemed to intentionally deal to the house).

Has current Richard ever intentionally caused misery on his family members for his personal pleasure?
>>
>>91269564

>What is character development?
>>
>>91277150
Wrong; he was slightly better than Homer in every way; his wife was prettier, his kids were better-behaved, he made a little more money, his body was in better shape, and his faith was more sincere. The last one was only a single part of the picture.
>>
>>91276111
Could work, but I don't know how accurate it is. Decay implies that they just "get worse" rather than being effectively boiled down into very particular traits that are then made more outlandish than they were previously. There's more to a character being flanderized than simple decay.
>>
>>91268883
>>91268516
Is there a name for reverse flanderization?

I really liked how Venture Brothers made Henchman 21 go from a gag character, and turned him into a serious threat, even going so far as being able to fight with Brock, with what had happened to Henchman 24.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tE87hH8hdIw
https://youtu.be/RK1grk4yxcw
>>
>>91277401
I won't argue.
I know I'm right.

also, later simpsons is alright.

there's a few diamonds in the rough anyhow. the show has actually changed very little. probably why it's still on the air.
>>
>>91275019
Aaaaaand now he has ALS.
Unless that's a meme.
Please tell me it's just a meme.
>>
>>91277442
It's called good character development.
>>
>>91277442
we just call that character development.
>>
>>91270412
>this guy turning into doctor rape in the mid 00s
He'd been a ridiculous Silver Age jobber for decades the way Captain Boomerang was prior to Legends.

In the 60s/70s, Arthur was literally beaten up by the Newsboy Legion who consisted of nonpowered under-12 kids, then Secret Origins painted him as a coward covering up his accidental murder of a shitbag partner (only interested in developing the tech so he could meet and fuck Donna Troy), then literally haunted by his partner's ghost in full Ghost of Marley chains regalia. Then, John Ostrander reintroduced Arthur as someone threatening to expose the Squad if they didn't let him in (as long as he didn't have to fight kids), got yelled down by Waller, then finally had a one-shot issue where a demon decided it would be funny to make him just immortal enough to die several times in the issue before fucking off.

IC's entire point was handwaving guys like this as being the victims of Zatanna's mindfuckery, so he was a perfect character to use.

Unfortunately like most things in IC it was handled hamfistedly and regrettably the Doctor Rape characterization stuck.
>>
>>91273666
He loves ska SO MUCH, that he had a checkerboard pattern tattooed on his forearm
>>
>>91273409
What they did to Garnet was the worst

>You know our cool, mysterious, leader? Turns out she's two worse characters in a trenchcoat so get used to it because "Garnet" is gone, there is only Ruby and Sapphire now.
>>
>>91268749
because his VA is a Scientologist and gives most of her paycheck to that cult.

the writers aren't fans of that crap
>>
>>91277568
>the writers aren't fans of that crap
>this completely explains why they rewrote the character

They aren't Trey and Matt, anon, they did their Scientology parody episode and the midget sucked it up
>>
>>91270876
>Purple Smart got worse
This is almost a constant with characters that Tara Strong voices but I can't for the life of me believe it's in any measure her fault unless someone can prove otherwise.
>>
File: fitz gives up.gif (3MB, 245x263px) Image search: [Google]
fitz gives up.gif
3MB, 245x263px
>>91275008
>Need some attention or a shield for criticism? Add lesbians!
>>
>>91268516
Fairly Oddparents
Simpsons
Family Guy
Spongebob
Futurama
>>
>>91275167
I can't imagine how bad season 4 is.
I truly love season 1, and season 2 was such a sharp decline I just couldn't watch it. I've seen the occasional clip of season 3 which is worse, and yet people seem to like those seasons. 4 must be truly unbearable.
>>
>>91270943
Naming that show Avatar is like naming another show Madoka: the supposed deuteragonist's B plot turns out to be the actual A plot.
>>
>>91272754
Of course not, it was only a matter of time after Faust left
>>
>>91270155
>Your Pokémon Adventure Starts Now!
>>
>>91272826
>what they called it before Flanders
nothing because no one actually needed TVTropes and no one does still
>>
>>91270226
Sugar was born in the Live journal era.

Most of that generations work has been destroyed or lost due to the internet growing so fast.
>>
File: 1415396904236.jpg (155KB, 960x717px) Image search: [Google]
1415396904236.jpg
155KB, 960x717px
>>91277342
fucking good. Like 10 orgasms at once all the time.
>>
>>91277342
he has not once objected to actual lesbians and nothing he said there re: fiction is in any sense inaccurate

stay upset
>>
>>91277150
His roles were pretty different.
Compare him in the episode where he makes a BET with Homer and loser has to wear a dress.
In the end they both lose and he's cool with it saying it reminded of his Frat days.

Modern Flanders would girlishly panic about entering a bet because that's a sin and when they lost he'd panic about God sending him to hell for crossdressing.

Not to say flanderization is completely bad, it's more just something people latch onto when the writing is terrible overall but a lot of characters work better for comedy when they're kind of over the top. Like crazy Cheryl and slutty blob Pam are good in Season 2 and on of Archer, they become less fun when the quality of everything starts going down in later seasons. If they didn't go that route they'd be "receptionist who kept changing her name" and "pushover HR manager"
>>91277750
Poor Skinner, he's probably got this the worst of everyone.
>>
>>91276631
>Is no one on the Crewniverse married?
I have a feeling most US/CA storyboarders right now are ugly gay men / future cat ranchers both of whom learned everything about human relationships from webcomics.
>>
File: tumblr_omitjw78yE1w49klco1_500.png (141KB, 431x521px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_omitjw78yE1w49klco1_500.png
141KB, 431x521px
>>91270155
When a fan artist can actually do this better, something is obviously fucking wrong.
>>
>>91277845
>Poor Skinner, he's probably got this the worst of everyone.
>You just got an ex Green Baret mad.
>>
>>91268618
>I wonder how they called that trope before the Simpsons, because it always existed in fiction.
The usual way, they didn't have a one-word term to use so they described it. "He/she has turned into a parody of him/herself" or something like that.
>>
>>91270701
There relationship is really unhealthy, imo.
>>
>>91277880
>>91270155
>Haha I know better than the rest of the industry! Model sheets don't allow my BRILLIANT boarders any freedom to express themselves! After all this is their show, not mine
>>
>>91269564
>>91274572
>/co/ doesn't know what static characters are
The only flanderized character is Peridot. And for some reason everyone for got that Steven is growing balls, half the shit he did in Seasons 4 and he would've never have been able to do in the first one.

Pearl had a boner for Rose since season 1, Lapis just calmed the fuck down, Garnet doesn't have to keep being a fusion a secret to Steven anymore and Amethyst's inferiority complex is just more obvious, and only comes up with it makes sense.
>>
>>91277880
They're not actually using the proportions she's revealed to have(?) after they took her limb enhancers to make her 'smol' and 'cute', though. It looks better, sure, but it's not accurate.
Yes, I get the irony in that statement.
>>
>>91277693
Most of the episodes that aren't season openers, finales or specials are just kinda "meh" now. It's not bad, but the formula of reforming villians to feel friendship or whatever can often easily lead to flanderization. I wonder if they'll ever make another episode featuring pink and silver bully girls now that their """""arc""""" is over. At least they sometimes still mix it up, like in the S6 finale, especially one scene at the end.
>>
ok, here's one ive never seen anyone talk about.

grimes from ugly americans went from a hardass who bullied people due to some deep seated issues to a whiny bitch by thr 2nd season. the demon boss suffered from a similar issue. it was the reason i wasnt that possed when it was canceled.
>>
>>91277464
Nope. He's as good as gone.
>>
>>91277987
It would have been a better look honestly. I'm surprised TheBoogie hasn't drawn Peridot getting fucked yet seeing he has a thing for small women.
>>
>>91277640
I miss Fitz.

He was too good for this world.
>>
>>91278135
He's more into Sapphire since he has a thing for covered eyes and big lips
>>
File: cheryl carol.jpg (43KB, 736x414px) Image search: [Google]
cheryl carol.jpg
43KB, 736x414px
>>91268664
Dick crazy masochistic firestarter Cheryl is the best. But everyone else is meh.
>>
>>91278109
he'll be fine.
>>
>>91274283
>Became a millionaire
>still lives in his van

Greg is shit
>>
>>91277845
his character fluctuates actually. most characters in the simpsons do, since there's essentially no continuity and the writers don't give a shit.
look at all the times marge contradicts herself over the seasons.

it's laughably inconsistent. it's just lazy writing.
>>
>>91276176
Eh, I disagree.

Ben has generally grown as a character throughout the series.
>>
File: Capture.png (218KB, 382x435px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.png
218KB, 382x435px
>>91274124
it was alright.
>>
>>91278328
I guess Omni Ben is a step up from AF Ben.
He went
>Bratty Kid
>Bland Dishwater
>Douchey Teen
>>
>>91268755
>Cosmo was suave as fuck in the pilot
>Gave him an annoying high pitched voice instead for most of the series

It's not fair.
>>
>>91270943
Sokka had almost as much character development as Zuko honestly. I remember his existence in season one was 50% being the butt of slapstick and 50% the victim of every "sexism is bad" moral lesson.
>>
>>91276843
Mike, Sue, Jasmine, David and Paulo are the same.

In fact that's the main problem with Paulo
>>
File: Transformers_Prime_Theme_song.jpg (140KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Transformers_Prime_Theme_song.jpg
140KB, 1920x1080px
>>
What if a character is actually intended to become more extreme in some of his views?
Does that tend to be confused with flanderization?
Because it's normal for people to change with time.
>>
>>91278701
It's really hard to write it well, because you have to be careful to sufficiently justify it both in-universe and to the audience. I'm actually curious myself as to whether there are any examples of this.
>>
>>91277970
I don't get that people want garnet to just stay mysterious and stoic. That just sounds frustrating, I don't want static characters in the main cast of a shoe like SU.

I feel like they write here as a pretty convincing mix of the two she's fused from. One is careful and can see the forest for the trees. One is quick to react, and sees it for the forest. At your best, you have a decisive leader. At your worst, you have someone who can barely act. But garnet keeps composure, and mostly stays the former. That's what makes her garnet.
>>
>>91277686
This post is pure autism.
The Gaang's story got like 3/4 of the runtime, even excluding the later parts when Zuko joined them.
>But muh deep characterizashun
No.
>>
>>91277721
Fuck you, TVT is amazing, even if a bit too autistic for my refined taste.
The site management really is shit though.
>>
File: Link.jpg (40KB, 393x640px) Image search: [Google]
Link.jpg
40KB, 393x640px
>>91270720
So... starting with this?
>>
>>91271075

In the case of Cartman it's on purpose. What they did to Stan and Kyle is fucking criminal.

The reality is that Matt and Trey have gotten old. They're nearly 45 years old, now, still working on a show that they started when they were in their mid 20's just out of college. They used to be able to relate to childishly poking fun at the world and they used the kids to point out the absurdities. Now, they take everything way too seriously, which is really what the last season was about: It was about the death of satire and the inability for even them, the kings of satire, to keep things lighthearted.
>>
>>91268516
What's the author's name? Actually, don't tell me. This comic is spot on but he's a fucking douche IRL and almost all of his other work is just awful. He has drawing skills, he just uses them to point out flaws in realities that he himself imagined.

>>91273835
>Patrick was a big guy
For you
>>
File: Smug Marth.png (16KB, 215x229px) Image search: [Google]
Smug Marth.png
16KB, 215x229px
>>91277342
But anon, he's complaining about bigoted faggots
Literally
>>
>>91278480
Sokka had actual character development.
Zuko went from being a whiny asshole son of the Fire Lord to being a whiny asshole Fire Lord.
Still better than most of the Gaang, though.
>>
File: seriously.jpg (127KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
seriously.jpg
127KB, 550x550px
>>91278828
>tfw no Shield to go with Sword
>>
>>91278834
they're just going to work on south park until CC cancels it.

seems strange. how much money do you need? you'd think they would want to do something else now. same with the simpsons.
>>
>>91275008
>It becomes taboo to treat them as actual characters that have flaws
>>91277342
>how does it feel to be such a bigoted faggot
Poetry
>>
>>91268801
this troper thinks that your belief that the term 'flanderization' originated from TVT is wrong
>>
>>91268883
>Turning him into a bumbling blithering idiot is the best example of new writers not "getting" a character I can think of.
one of Hillenburg's favourite episodes, Valentine's Day, is all about Patrick being a bumbling blithering idiot
>>
>>91276805

Meg wasn't always hated by all of them though. In the original seasons, she was just a socially awkward teenage girl who tried new things and fucked them up because she was a teenager. One of the first seasons has Lois and Peter go to some event of hers and Lois is overjoyed at the fact her daughter is trying it, even if she is a wierdo about it.

The family guy character who got Flanderized is not Meg, it's Lois: She went from trying hard and actually caring about her kids to a selfish alcoholic slut who just goes along with Peter's retarded antics. I mean, it's a comedy show, it's supposed to be funny, but watching a mother shit on her kids isn't funny as much as it is unsettling.
>>
>>91278882
Both get giant paychecks and no one left on The Simpsons at this point has any actual creative passion
>>
>>91274250
it seems some of the post-movie episodes randomly kept this in. Squid's Visit, he's the one giving SpongeBob advice, too.
>>
File: breathin.jpg (25KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
breathin.jpg
25KB, 480x360px
>>91270230
>Spongebob transitioned to being more of a dumb, asexual manchild
>asexual
He has a thing for Squidward
>>
>>91278882

Yeah, but Comedy Central will never have the balls to kill it. At this point, most of the long-running cartoons are declining in quality.

South Park peaked years ago with the World of Warcraft episode: http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/tt0121955

Simpsons is still (somehow) declining and has been since season 8: graphtv.kevinformatics.com/tt0096697

Futurama is still going down: http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/tt0149460

It's more a matter of time than anything else.
>>
>>91268851
and then absolutely nothing changes so it might be character stagnation
maybe we should make a term for that too and name it after Brian?
>>
File: IMG_1272.jpg (14KB, 239x239px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1272.jpg
14KB, 239x239px
This asshole went from good friend to selfish prick from the pilot movie to the first episode of the cartoon. I don't even know if it's Flanderization since he didn't even possess those characteristics to begin with.
>>
>>91279157
That's more obsession with a big brother figure than romantic or sexual.
>>
>>91268883
fuck I never thought about it before but you really nailed it on the head
>>
>>91270838
The Korra backlash has officially gone too far.
>>
File: 1491338211884.jpg (9KB, 239x250px) Image search: [Google]
1491338211884.jpg
9KB, 239x250px
>>91270395
>>91274474
mmm hol up tho

dale has the right to be crazy

there really was a plot against him
>>
>>91276873
I've watched several S12 episodes recently and Meg was present for random episodic jokes but nobody really was shitting on her purposely moreso than on any other character. so the whole Meg hate thing seems kinda irrelevant, tho maybe later seasons feature it again?
>>
>>91279235
That's my post, and I still think ATLA is the best cartoon ever made. I'm just unbiased enough to recognize its massive flaws.
>>
>>91279163
>South Park peaked years ago with the World of Warcraft episode: http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/tt0121955
Well, I mean they realized that they're becoming stale so they tried something new with an over-arching plot, and it was fairly well received at first. The last season turned out shit only because they were writing based on false prognosis.
>>
>>91278438
Cosmo was supposed to be voiced by Phil Hartman. Then he had to go die :-(
>>
>>91279285
>stupid muricans make their own typical shonen anime
>most shonen animes have better plot and characterization than most western cartoons
>stupid muricans start considering it the best cartoon ever because they finally got a glimpse of what quality is
>>
>>91279285
>recognizing the flaws of a thing you love is the same as saying every character was flanderized
?
>>
File: 1477695351173.png (174KB, 276x519px) Image search: [Google]
1477695351173.png
174KB, 276x519px
>>91273666
Ska's alright, tho.
>>
>>91279353
I'm sorry, what exactly is wrong with that? Unless you mean anime should be considered cartoons...
>>91279371
In this case? Yep.
>>
>>91278839

Winston Rountree?
>>
>>91277956
>After all this is their show, not mine
I think it's all but guaranteed at this point that Sugar regrets her "besties sleepover" methodology and given the chance won't repeat it.
>>
>>91268755
>Tootie
lol wut? She and Katswell are the only Hartman females that DIDN'T get flanderized!

Vicky went from being mean to kids to wanting to take over the world, Trixie went from being a snob into being a psychopathic ex-girlfriend. I don't think Tootie ever did anything more over the top than just wanting Timmy to marry her.
>>
>>91279954
I really don't know why she thought treating a massive network project as a social club was a good idea

They're there to work with you not be your friends that you never criticize or say no to
>>
>>91278160
> hey remember all that awesome shit we had her learn that might even qualify as minor character development? Yeah she got hit on the head and forgot it all

All they had to do was make her decide she was tired of being a star esp. considering it was revealed that her entire success was one rich creepy fan who's dead now.

I mean I get that they realized how much of a shitshow S5 was and wanted a status quo reset, but they didn't even need to give her amnesia.
>>
>>91278438
>Gave him an annoying high pitched voice instead for most of the series
>>91279315
>Cosmo was supposed to be voiced by Phil Hartman

Also it's not entirely coincidental that Cosmo/Wanda's VAs are also Timmy's parents' VAs so they kinda want to avoid highlighting that fact
>>
>>91279163

futurama ended bud.
>>
>>91280006
>I really don't know why she thought treating a massive network project as a social club was a good idea

Because she spent too many years living that experience under Pen Ward and didn't see a downside to it. Ironically had she stayed on AT she would have.

Pen gets props for being a Calarts grad who broke with tradition by NOT exclusively hiring fellow Calarts grads for his first show. Until you look at the results and realize that some of these closed-minded, incestuous industry practices had reasons for being there.

Sugar should have learned more from EE&E and less from AT. Look what AT did for poor Nat who threw herself into the deep end of the pool with Bee & Puppycat and took most of the blame for what happened (a large part of which was Frederator's fault).
>>
>>91279202
Don't get me started on the episode with Mac's birthday.
>>
>>91273679
It's kinda fitting in Always Sunny because all of the characters seem to be going mad in some way, reflected by how the episodes have been going
>>
>>91268577
>Edd has been dead for 5 years
>>
>>91278480
He grew out of that in the first five episodes. They had an episode planned that was in the pitch but never actually went into production where he met a bunch of Earth nation soldiers who quickly destroyed his illusions of battle being a glorious thing, that was another part of his character they dropped pretty early on. It still took him till Season 3 until he could really handle himself in battle without the others, before that he was just the snarky smart guy.
>>
>>91274572
>Constantly in bitch-mode
I have clinical depression and was in bitch-mode 24/7, is kinda of realistic
>>
>>91268516
The one show that shall not be named.
Rainbow horse is an insufferably stupid cunt the last couple of seasons (in her personal episodes only tho, she's somehow fine in duet eps).
For the rest, it's not franderization tho, it's just annoying inconsistency. Like one episode we have purple smart having tea with sunbutt like they're old friends, then literally the next episode she's terrified of what Tia might do to her like it's season fucking two all over again even tho she's royalty now.
The show is currently being written by a lot of different newfag writers, and there's nobody to really organize them, and it shows.
>>
>>91272589
I think a big part of that is because the weekly missions stopped, so her leadership role doesn't come up as much. Hell, it's pretty rare we see all three of the Crystal Gems on-screen at the same time these days.
>>
>>91278400
This, Omniverse Ben feels like a grown up version of OS Ben, unlike AF Ben who was a robot
>>
>>91281154
>The show is currently being written by a lot of different newfag writers
You have to ask yourself what led to their predecessors leaving. Either they genuinely realized they had run out of characters to get jobs at The Krabby Patty, or Hasbro started making toy line-related demands they got sick of servicing, both or something worse. I doubt they all had to take pay cuts or stuff like that.
>>
File: latest[1].jpg (231KB, 900x1369px) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].jpg
231KB, 900x1369px
>>91268516
Such is the fate of every comic book character who gains mainstream notoriety.
At least he's still usually entertaining.
>>
>>91274474
Finn being a useless sadsack isn't Flanderization, it's a character arc. He was depressed.
>>
>>91276873
my guess is the only reason Meg and Chris are even still on the show and not written off like you suggested is probably them not wanting to piss off Mila Kunis and Seth Green by making them lose an easy VA gig
>>
>>91281513
Has Seth Green expressed his thoughts on modern Family Guy in anyway?
>>
>>91281351
Well, McCarthy went on to work on a movie, Larson went on to work on his book but said he'd be back for Season 8, Polsky started working on something of his own too. It's mostly just their personal projects taking over, not outright quitting because they got fed up with shit.
>or Hasbro started making toy line-related demands they got sick of servicing
Well, nu writers actually said that Flurry Heart was their idea and not Hasbro's. But I don't know whethers that's a sad truth (the show is being written by people who think inroducing a pointless pink baby alicorn for a couple of keks is a good idea) or a sad lie (the writers actually lied in an attempt to keep fans from getting butthurt like with Twicorn).
>>
>>91281121
Is anyone making a TV show based on your life experience?
>>
>>91281404
Weirdly enough, I'd say that booster has gotten MORE character over time, usually in in-series discussions about this very topic.
>>
>>91275192
>Final Season of Roseanne?
count your ignorance as a blessing

Barr went mad with power, insisted on a series of completely implausible and tone-inconsistent fantasy storylines (family hits the lottery, Satan wants her baby, Roseanne courted by numerous men, etc).

Viewership fell like a rock and the final episode was Roseanne Conner in the house basement at her typewriter retconning the entire season to literally fanfiction (you didn't know she was an aspiring writer?) with the truth being unspeakably grim: the heart attack Dan had at the end of previous season actually killed him, the family was in poverty, her sister was the lesbian not her friend, her daughters were paired off with each others' boyfriends, etc.
>>
>>91281086
And here I thought I knew everything there was to know about ATLA's production.
Source, anon?
>>
>>91281590
Are u fucken shitten me lad, up to the last part and all
>>
>>91274572
I agree about everyone else but bitch mode Lapis is best Lapis
>>
>>91281576
Yes, Rebecca Sugar
>>
>>91270212
Zuke was the better artist from the tema to begin with, she just wasnt cut emotionally for the job.
>>
>>91281676
Fuck, walked right into that one, didn't I?
Here, have a (You)
>>
>>91277381
Something that doesn't make the characters regress
>>
>>91281626
I am so sorry to post this. Genuinely.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_e7XY0A168U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDg3bhBH0DM
>>
>>91281602
Think I saw it in the Dark Horse art book that reproduced the original network pitch. It's been a while. I can see why they dropped it but it's shame they did, hard to directly confront death in the line of duty and mutilation in a TV-Y7 cartoon for kids.
>>
>>91281772
>hard to directly confront death in the line of duty and mutilation in a TV-Y7 cartoon for kids on networks that aren't Disney XD

funny, that
>>
>>91270226
Sugar wrote invader zim fanfiction and had a fan character
>>
>>91281772
Didn't they sort of do that in the Book 2 opener?
>Those soldiers are the lucky ones.
>>
>>91281800
>and had a fan character
based on herself

adolescence is not kind
>>
>>91268618
My theory is that Flanders' Flanderization is tied to Maude's death.

He uses religion to cope, and he still hasn't entirely gotten over it.
>>
>>91281803
Also in Zuko Alone, with the "dressed them up as the enemy" line.
>>
>>91281799
Wait, when did that happen? Gargoyles? Or do you mean Tron: Uprising? Good call there.
>>
>>91281840
> Maude's death
which took place YEARS after the phenomenon was named
>>
>>91281861
>Wait, when did that happen
When Gravity Falls S1 was airing we all noticed here that Hirsch got away with mentioning death a lot more directly than even the currently running season of Korra, and GF was Y7 too. Nick's run by pussies and this was lampshaded in Ember Island Players.

"Did he die?" "I don't know, it was so vague."
>>
>>91273701
Connie is a character who exists just for Steven. She never really says anything to the other characters and feels like she exists in her own bubble.
>>
>>91282012
>Connie is a character who exists just for Steven
>progressive writing staff gives woman of color no agency

it's hilarious really
>>
>>91281967

>>91281803
>>91281844
Try again, anon.
>>
>>91278823
>TVT is amazing
you haven't ever written anything that wasn't pure cringe, have you

it's an autistic laundry list qualifying anything that happened twice in art as an intentional movement.
>>
>>91278828
WHOOPS CAN'T USE THAT RED CROSS ANY MORE, FAGGOTS WILL SUE
>>
>>91282093
This almost always happens when writers know part of the audience "looks up to" the characters.

They start babying the character to death.

So many stories could go better if the show runner had more balls or the fans shut the fuck up.
>>
File: yeah_right.png (215KB, 526x374px) Image search: [Google]
yeah_right.png
215KB, 526x374px
>>91278511
>Paulo
His tendency to regress has been dialed up to 17.
>>
>>91282128
Just ignore the autistic points and you'll find lots of literal gold, stuff you would never have noticed on your own but that makes so much sense once it's pointed out.
>>
>>91274358
>implying anyone watches Hanazuki
>>
>>91281757
Well... that sure is Roseanne venting about depression through what I've been told is a sitcom. It was a total fucking drag, to be honest. And I don't just mean it was sad to watch, it literally felt like each video was ten minutes longer than it actually was. Why was it even relevant how gay her sister is? I want a refund.
>>
File: skullgirls_valentine_slash_copy.jpg (84KB, 740x454px) Image search: [Google]
skullgirls_valentine_slash_copy.jpg
84KB, 740x454px
>>91282154
Well, I do understand that the Red Cross is an international philanthropic organization that needs to transcend politics and profit... but it does get a bit grating that fictional characters have to be dragged into it.
>>
>>91270802
>The thing that made me a villain was brainwashing people
>I feel really bad about brainwashing people
>My entire character arc revolves around how shitty I feel for having brainwashed people
>S6 E21
>BETTER BRAINWASH ALL MY FRIENDS!
The episode even starts with BookNerd testing the magic abilities of the STRONGEST NON-DEITY MAGICIAN IN THE ENTIRE SETTING

I'm fully convinced the current writers haven't even watched the rest of the show.
>>
>>91273621
This is adventure times problem in a nutshell. No real direction, everyone does what they want and the characters suffer.
>>
>>91276805
She was supposed to be a subversion of Lisa Simpson at first but they went a little to far
>>
File: where is your god now.jpg (18KB, 627x81px) Image search: [Google]
where is your god now.jpg
18KB, 627x81px
>>91282698
Yeah. Generally one-off episode formats tend to suffer like that.
>>
>>91270583
Is that how prom went for you too?
>>
>>91282765
Jesse was a fruit but his final episodes seemed to not be in that vein at all, they were mostly about straightforward concrete concepts and not philosophical mumbo jumbo. I think he eventually accepted that people didn't like his artsy fartsy junk in a cartoon.
>>
>>91282182
>They start babying the character to death.

Isn't that what happened with a Gravity Falls character?
>>
>>91279409
>Liking (probably) third wave ska
Wow anon, you can do better
>>
>>91276611
what?
>>
>>91277340
I feel like they aren't used a whole lot outside of select few and even when these characters are used, they only interact with just Gumball and Darwin.
And then there is shit like The Potato, which is a cancer stacked on cancer. Like, why bother having these characters when they are poorly handled?
>>
>>91268516
All of them
>>
>>91282808
Minus the inverted cock rape and the having a date and the going to a prom, yeah.
>>
>>91279007
Everyone except maybe Stewie has been Flanderized.
Peter went from idiotic narrow viewed dad trying his best to absolute selfish retard
Lois was Bored Housewife now she's Trapped Slut
Chris was dumb Puberty addled kid now he's chronic masturbator
Meg was awkward teen girl now she's self destructive cry for help
Brian was Straight Man dog with underlying emotional problems now he's Liberal douche who's almost secretly a scumbag

Stewie was an evil genius with a side of gay, Now hes a gay guy with gizmos but for some reason seems to be the one most active in helping his family out.
>>
>>91279163
>http://graphtv.kevinformatics.com/tt0121955
Why is A Million Litter Fibers the worst received South Park episode? It's not memorable but it's not as terrible as some later season episodes.
>>
>>91283656
That episode was kind of a snoozefest wasted on a shitty meme character. It may as well have been a half hour spent on a behind the scenes of Terrance & Phillip. At least it's something they could make light of trying to pass off for something serious.
>>
>>91274208
Pedophiles don't get opinions taken seriously on shows starring children.
>>
>>91283029
That's just an example of season 5 being worse. There have been plenty of good episodes with them in the past.
>>
>>91268618
Self Parody
>>
>>91268827
It's the same as watching the first season of It's Always Sunny in Philly when everyone is normal and actually go out of their way to be more polite inoffensive and courteous. It's a different world from what came later
>>
>>91282448
>Stalinlight sucks as a recurring character
I guess I shouldn't be surprised
>>
>>91270155
>listen to tumblr feedback
At least we admit we are assholes. They genuinely think they are the good guys and all they say is well-meaning, which is imo worse.
>>
>>91282182
>almost always happens when writers know part of the audience "looks up to" the characters

This is why I respect Daron Nefcy. She has anime-level sensibilities about making characters suffer.

Stop watching shows made by Hot Topic webcomic shitheads.
>>
>>91271075
>>91278834
Not just that.
They used to have their own independent creative story arcs.

But now it's just the Weekly Show in cartoons, as in what happened recently in America.
>>
>>91282342
You really need to see season 9 before weighing in here. Barr is bipolar, wasn't medicated for it then and after becoming exec producer she forced the writers to take the show in bizarre directions that had nothing to do with what Carsey and Werner built it on. Ironically, they built it on her stand-up routine but Roseanne having gone legit insane (you won't have trouble finding stories about it) ran the show into the shitter. Not "I don't like that direction," the shitter.

There is no American network TV show that went so far off the rails so fast.
http://uproxx.com/tv/the-full-story-behind-the-terribly-weird-final-season-of-roseanne/
>>
>>91270838
I see them more changing from typical adventure cartoon characters to angsty teen drama characters
>>
>>91268883
>watch the "Idiot Day" episode agian
>Patrick actually being worried about not being seen as a respectable adult
>>
Here's a question, at what point does character development turn into flanderizing?
>>
>>91282448
>I'm fully convinced the current writers haven't even watched the rest of the show.
so, like Family SimpsonsBob
>>
>>91285347
After the S5 finale and the positive handing of Bacon in the films I had hope. That hope was misplaced.
>>
>>91273409
>Pearl was the strict, but caring teacher figure with a slight control freak syndrome
>had a character arc where she used to obsess over Rose
>bring it up again but make it worse
>make her get over it but then make it even more worse

Jesus.
>>
>>91270155
>Peridot used to be a looming, somewhat intimidating force
>became Invader Zim

I hate Sugar so much.
>>
>>91285739
Everyone working on that show with creative input on stories needs to be openly blacklisted.
http://kick-neckbeard-ass.tumblr.com/post/112541505004/theres-more-fresherluke-tumblr
>>
>>91285642
A certain trait about a character becomes the most predominate thing about them.
Such as Spongebob becoming a massive idiot, Gumball turning into a naive jackass, and Ned Flanders becoming absurdly religious. Those traits were at first subtle, but it eventually shapes the character to the way they act now.
>>
>>91285922
that guy did nothing wrong though, just having fun with his waifu
he's living the dream, good on him
>>
>>91285845
I hope Jhonen understands he and Hussie anally birthed evil unto 3 generations.
>>
>>91285979
He regrets it every day of his life.
>>
File: ImageStrip20170404190859.jpg (71KB, 284x531px) Image search: [Google]
ImageStrip20170404190859.jpg
71KB, 284x531px
>>91285963
>just having fun with his waifu

I don't generally believe in contact embarrassment but this hurts to look at
>>
>>91273724
DIO, sure.
But Jospeph? Come on.
>>
>>91286083
May his life extend indefinitely

I don't give a shit about 'holds up spork' until they start making shows about 'holds up spork'
>>
>>91286113
Not that anon, but I really can't see any similar qualities between Old Joseph and Young Joseph. Even with their sense of humor, the actually jokes and funny moments don't sinc up. Old Joseph might as well just be some random old man that's just their to nimble around.
>>
>>91286370
*bumble
>>
>>91283656
Towelie was generally a shit character. Not even self-deprecation could help.

>Towelie, you're the worst character ever.
>I know.
>>
Joseph went from being an amazing con man to being out wited by an idiot.

The wank for Jotaro is stupid.
>>
Sometimes "The customer is always right." isn't always true.

People don't know what they want.
>>
>>91286431
That's the point of the episode. It's ironically bad. It's not like other episodes which try to be good and are horrible, at least this episode accomplished what it set out to do.
>>
File: 389.png (19KB, 165x115px) Image search: [Google]
389.png
19KB, 165x115px
>Be somewhat decent artfag, also like writing.
>Always dream of writing a book or making a webcomic.
>Afraid of eventually falling to all the creative bankrupcy mentioned in this thread.
>Never started anything.

Designing a new arc must be very stressing for people that actually care about repercussions and continuity.
>>
>>91286085
then you're just a filthy normie bruv
>>
>>91276400
Its because there were a ton of episodes where she DID get attention and proceeded to still bitch.
>>
>>91286558
>Too afraid of trying
That's dumb. If you feel like you're running out of story to tell just fucking end the thing.
Also let's see this decent art.
Though my worry is more my ideas I thought were neat are really just shit nobody cares about at all.
>>
>>91286370
>>91286463
Grandad Jojo still gets some good in-character moments in Part 3. He's wasn't completely ruined until Part 4.
>>
>>91268516
wow, only two words? I didn't think he had it in him.
>>
>>91274250
And it was established since the first episode, where Patrick gives Spongebob the confidence to apply for the Krusty Krab.
>>
>>91277227
That's fucking horrible
>>
>>91270838
Kill yourself
>>
>>91277442
The trope is growing the beard
>>
File: 1402094011639.png (24KB, 183x185px) Image search: [Google]
1402094011639.png
24KB, 183x185px
>>91286791
>Getting down in age
>Character deevolution
>>
>>91273724
>Joseph and Dio got flanderized pretty hard
Wrong.
>>
>>91282376
Apparently that's why Mother 3 isn't getting a Western release.
>>
File: reporting_trip_to_planet_balls.gif (46KB, 260x230px) Image search: [Google]
reporting_trip_to_planet_balls.gif
46KB, 260x230px
>>91285845
But anon, she's naked and she's far from home. pls understand
Getting shouty and defensive when she feels cornered is kind of her thing. It's a lazy and hamfisted way of dealing with an arc, the whole forced meme for a personality thing, but the writers are chilling out on that front. I think they might be able to fix this wreck yet.
>>
>>91270395
Dale was always a conspiracy theorist, so him being crazy is par for the course
>>
>>91275167
It's such a funny idea that someone on 4chan watched and enjoyed all of Roseanne
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (49KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
49KB, 1280x720px
>>91268883
Best example IMO
>>
>>91277956
I love character art guides. Someone should start a thread
>>
>>91288030
That's more of the opposite of jumping the shark, but yeah, it still works
>>
>>91282951
Back in 2015 they held a Nintendo World Championship. The final event was a Mario Maker contest, with John Numbers against a speedrunner named Cosmo. The joke is that John's victory was the directly led to Cosmo's sex change (fun fact, he now goes by Naricissa and is a professional bottomfeeder; preferring to beg for money online instead of getting a job).
>>
>>91275008
Would the solution be to write a character that's gay, barely skim over the fact, and then NOT put them in a relationship?
>>
>>91288220
...how so?
>>
>>91285455
But last season was a big "You made Hillary win, but she'll make you regret it!", then Trump got elected and it completely fucked the plot
>>
File: IMG_2804.png (2MB, 1564x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2804.png
2MB, 1564x1080px
This only counts for the Lombax.
>>
>>91268577
I'm still angry about the end. It was literally the worst eddsworld of all and a slap in the face to edd and the fans.
>>
>>91289029
Is it really flanderizing if the character is being rebooted?
>>
>>91288894
Pweeeeese
>>
>>91289164

That depends on which version you're talking about, most fans prefer PS2-era Ratchet over PS3-era Ratchet (Reboot Ratchet is lumped in with PS3-era Ratchet).
>>
>>91288936
the only clean answer is to not write lesbians.

I've seen plenty of well written gay men, but not a single well written lesbian. There's a fundamental issue with how people view them that leads to universally terrible writing.
>>
>>91277880
Thiccc
>>
>>91274572
>I don't even know why I watch this show anymore.
I don't. i have given up on cartoons as a whole. it's fun, try it.
>>
File: hahahaha this sucks man.png (160KB, 500x677px) Image search: [Google]
hahahaha this sucks man.png
160KB, 500x677px
>>91277702
>>
>>91268516
Bill from King of the Hill is a weird in reverse of flanderized
>>
Pretty much anyone in Foster Home for Imaginary Friends that isn't Bloo.
>>
>>91289869
huh?
>>
>>91289877
Bloo was flanderized from the pilot.
>>
>>91289234
I dunno, Crack in Time Ratchet seemed pretty on character, but I disnt play the ones after that. I played reboot R&C, and it seems less like flanderizing and more rebuilding the character to seem a little younger and unpolished.
>>
>>91275008
>lesbians in tv shows and cartoons
"hee hee i am cute grill who likes other cute grill :3c. We are just like regular couple except we r cute and sit around talking about our cute little vaginas while playing acoustic guitar and we never have any relationship issues at all. We also have cute short haircuts and wear checker patterned flannel shirts because it's still the 90's"

>lesbians in real life
ugly, loud, fat, short, look like prepubescent boys and constantly swear at everyone and everything

I will never understand why people have such a hard on for lesbians. Porn isn't real life guys, if you have to deal with these people in real life you will know they are birthed from the bowels of satan
>>
>>91289909
Bloo was as delightfully arrogant in the pilot as he was in the series

Meanwhile,

Mac and Wilt turned into huge SJW
Eduardo's entire role in the show was to indirectly antagonize Bloo
Coco couldn't stop flipping from being crazy/random to a socially aware bitch
Frankie went from a chill girl who gets abused by her boss to a lazy as fuck worker who spazzes out occasionally
>>
>>91273246
Ice King quit being an actual threat in season 2. Remember in Mortal Folly/Mortal Recoil he was a nuisance that almost killed PB? Or in Hitman or The Eyes? Ice King was more of a senial old man that bothered Finn and Jake more often than being an actual villain. Even in season 2.
>>
>>91273246
Princess Bubblegum and Ice King are the only ones I would honestly say got flanderized.

I would thrown in Jake too after they kept trying to shill that "Jake the Dad" plot no one liked.
>>
>>91281872
>Maude's death
>2000

>Tvtropes launch
>2004
>>
>>91270353
eh? I think some of students characters fit the roles as well. Remember Anton the toast guy and Teri the paper bear? They used to have actual personalities, but now they are just the mere gags for cartoon violence+cruelty.
>>
>>91290023
>if you have to deal with these people in real life
They obviously don't, and most likely prefer it that way. I certainly do.
>>
>>91276750
it is. You're a retarded child if you think otherwise
>>
File: IMG_2296.jpg (62KB, 500x378px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2296.jpg
62KB, 500x378px
Not /co/ but still the ultimate example
>>
>>91270395
Boomhower (sp?) had it worse. I used to be able to understand every word he said, it was really well done, but after a couple of seasons he was literally just speaking gibberish.
>>
>>91268516
why is flanderized is consider a bad thing.
>>
>>91290817
>why are one dimensional caricatures considered worse than multifaceted characters
>>
>>91268618
Fonzieiation?
Urkelization?
>>
>>91285227
Granted the Sunny characters have the excuse of Frank being a really really bad influence
>>
>>91278981
What? Its about Patrick being desperate for affection from his best friend, being dissapointed when the affection wasn't shown, going on a rampage when he thinks his best friend cares more about random people than him, and then being elated once he see's spongebob's true intentions.
At no point is he a blithering retard, he just goes through a large range of the exaggerated emotions often associated with Valentine's Day
>>
>>91291552
I thought the gang was a bad influence on Frank,
>>
>>91275008
If there is one lesbian character I dont mind its Didi from Bomango. Really the only reason shes gay is because shes Gogo's mental and physical opposite, but even then its not often brought up or made the focus of a strip. Although Id be lying if I said Van doesnt play it safe with her, aside from the odd bit of tame retaliation and morally grey science shes practically a saint.

Biggest offender for me would be Spineretta. The whole thing took a nose dive the moment Heather thought it would be cool to have a gay pity relationship with her dying friend in favor of the guy she had been after since the thing started. That or Korra and muh hetero lenses cover up shit writing
>>
File: 1391720336454.png (70KB, 216x186px) Image search: [Google]
1391720336454.png
70KB, 216x186px
>>91288894
I remember watfching John FUCKING Numbers winning but I never heard what happened to Cosmo, thats halarious
>>
>>91282128
I don't think I've ever seen a trope with fewer than double-digit entries. Contrary to popular belief, the site has an excellent trope vetting system that generally stops underused tropes from being added
>>
>>91290667
fee-hee-hee-heenayyyyyy
>>
>>91290320
TVtropes didn't coin Flanderization. That's one of the things I hate about TVtropes as a recourse, they mix a handful of terms that actually have a legitimate pedigree and mix them with 900 terms they just made up.
>>
>>91291974
Didn't her lesbianism got retconned?
>>
>>91292245
Most of those 900 terms don't have recognized names, though. Not much choice there desu.
>>
>>91292279
How about just sticking to the terms that actually matter in literary criticism instead of trying to isolate and label every pattern that as ever existed on a stupid website.
>>
>>91292295
With the amount of fun I've had reading the site? How about no?
>>
>>91292245
And the funny thing is that if you read the examples for legitimate, old terms like Deconstruction, it's pretty clear tvtropes doesn't know jack shit about what they actually mean
>>
>>91292256
I dont think so, but her girlfriend is only on panel like maybe three or four times that I can recall. As for the reboot I dont believe she has even been "born" yet so its hard to say.
>>
>>91292308
It's fun as a site to recognize stuff you enjoy and find more media you didn't know about, but the problem with the site is that it pretends to be a "recourse" for analysis and general creative writing, and for that function its absolutely toxic and teaches awful habits. That's my issue with it anyway.
>>
>>91275008
>Rose
It's not her lesbianism. Homestuck went pretty much downhill when the Meteor ride began.
I remember the insane pacing it had and that shit was like someone pulled the emergency brake. Every god damn character went down the toilet.

And while Homestuck is kind of infamous for fetishising homosexuality, my main beef with Rose was her suddenly developed alcoholism. You knew at this point that Hussie had no further need for Rose.
>>
>>91292331
I haven't seen a better site for that overall. The vast majority of the web's "writing resources" are worse.
>>
>>91268755
Dumb Cosmo is moe, though.
>>
>>91290023
>I will never understand why people have such a hard on for lesbians. Porn isn't real life guys
And neither is fiction
>>
>>91277381
This
>>
>>91270720
It wouldn't really work as a chart, because after Wind Waker would come Twilight Princess, which returned to OoT's art style. Toon Link and Link are treated as 2 different characters.

But still, that misses the whole point of Flanderization, which is more about a rounded character becoming a flat one. Link's a pretty flat character in all of his games.
>>
>>91292471
Amusingly enough, he had much more of a character in Wind Waker than in OoT or Twilight Princess.
>>
>>91270155
How did it get this bad this fast
Thread posts: 506
Thread images: 71

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.