[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can Doctor Doom sustain a solo?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 5

File: 1428326-1270531384043.jpg (353KB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
1428326-1270531384043.jpg
353KB, 1280x1920px
Ignore the popularity issue. What I'm asking is if yout put him in a Vertigo-esque U, or at least gave him his own corner, could he, as a character, headline one?

He has no supporting cast or villains, but that's easily solvable. Just throw Marvel's forgotten Supernatural stuff at him. Grab Dreadknight and the Intelligencia, some Hickman stuff, the usuals (Kristoff, boris, Le Fay) and you're off to a good start I think.
>>
>>91254942
would "Super-Villain Team-Up" count as a solo?
>>
Please no, they'd ruin him
>>
*cough* *cough*
>>
>>91254981
Eh, kinda. I'm talking Batman-Solo. Long form storytelling, relationships between the characters, new antagonists, etc, etc.

>>91255110

>Bendis' Iron Doom
>Proper Solo

Kidding aside, it's better than I expected, but that's not saying much...
>>
>>91254942
> No villains
The Fantastic Four have prevented him from saving the world for decades. Richards is the greatest villain the world has ever known.
>>
>>91254942
You don't need a supporting cast, and Doom could easily be entertaining just BTFOing villains/heroes of the week.
>>
>>91255268

Lots of MU catastrophes can be summed up as "Richards knew better". Reed's a sly devil, really. He knows how to hide his evilness.

That aside, I'm talking about giving him his Joker or Magneto. I figure the Intelligencia can function like Flash's "The Rogues", Morgan as his Talia and Wanda as his Catwoman. Dreadknight as a mix between Deathstroke and Red Hood. Stuff like that.
>>
>>91254942
The glory of Doom is too great to be confined in a single story.
>>
>>91255360

True enough. But you need someone for him to play off if you want it to be sustainable. Every book had a supporting cast, however small.

You could have Kristoff be his Nightwing, rework the Black Swans as a "Court of Owls"-esque Cult, bring back the Marquis, etc.

I think it can work, but not under Marvel's current management. It'd make a hell of an 80s Vertigo title...
>>
>>91255110
You just keep on coughing there, buddy.
>>
>>91255465

True, true. That's why he wears the armor. To keep his glorious body and 20 inch cock hidden, for mortal eyes cannot handle it.

Another part that always bothered me is his origin. No understanding of the Balkans or the gypsies. In a world of sci-fi and magic, a US scout searching for a guy in Europe's toilet to give him a scholarship is the craziest thing.

If it were up to me, I'd merge the Ultimate and 616 ones. The Dracula lineage was a cool part, and his gypsy roots give him a connection to magic.

Latveria could also use some lore.
>>
A good Doctor Doom book, in my opinion, would bear a lot of similarities to Gillen's Darth Vader book.
>>
>>91255605

Kinda. Vader's a lap-dog to Palpatine (not a knock to him, it's just how it is). I'd say it be a mix between that (plus the EU Dark horse stuff) and Carrey's Lucifer.

Sometimes I go "man, i should write that"... Then I remember my real-life obligations and put it off... Life's cruel...
>>
>what's DOOM 2099
You're literally 24 years late to the answer you're seeking
>>
File: Doom-2099.jpg (89KB, 414x640px) Image search: [Google]
Doom-2099.jpg
89KB, 414x640px
Yes, he had solo's in the 70s and 90s. It can work.
Damn Monkey's paw. I wanted a Doom ongoing but not written by Bendis!!
>>
File: Doom20991-Page23.jpg (97KB, 527x800px) Image search: [Google]
Doom20991-Page23.jpg
97KB, 527x800px
>>91255770
> Spider-Man 2099 returns. The last time DOOM 2099 was even mentioned was a cameo in Exiles.
>>
>>91255770

Eh, I'd argue it's not the same. 2099 Doom was never confirmed to be THE Doom. We were given clues, but...

Regardless, the thread is more of a "how would you do it" question. Like, would you use Hellstrom as a Deacon Blackfire analog who starts a religious revolt in Latveria? Give the country some lore? Such stuff.

>>91255772

It can work in a completely new setting, but the trick is placing it in the usual MU. Or rather a variation of it. 2099 was allowed to change tons of things that a main title wouldn't.

>>91255803

You're forgetting Kang's Chrono Corps in Uncanny Avengers.
>>
Doom 2099 was great.
>>
>>91255917

Oh yes, but he didn't really do much in that.
>>
>>91255972

That it was.

>>91255991

Fair enough.
>>
>>91255917
>You're forgetting Kang's Chrono Corps in Uncanny Avengers.

Honestly was a pretty good Avengers run. Remender had a really neat nouveau-retro feel to it with the classic Avengers composition and mansion setting, with modern art and plot structuring.

I checked Waid's current Avengers out when it dropped for Del Mundo and it seemed to be alright, has anyone read it?
>>
>>91254942
He has a solo right now, by Marvel's most A-List writer.

And it's dying.
>>
>>91254942
read Doom 2099
>>
File: DOOM 1.jpg (558KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
DOOM 1.jpg
558KB, 1920x1080px
>>
>>91254942
You know what I'd like to see?
A Doom mini-series that's told from the perspective of an ordinary Latverian citizen. A day in the life, so to speak.
Something that tells the story of why it is his people adore him so.
I remember back when he was off in hell and the FF tried to 'liberate' Latveria and the people revolted, wanting Doom to come back to rule over them,
Something that explains and elaborates on their devotion to him would be good.
Thread posts: 26
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.