[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Opinions on Stark?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 2

So we're currently in a world where Iron Man is more or less a household name.

That's only made Tony much more bland and uninteresting though.

So, what are /co/'s opinions on good ol' Tone? Can he be salvaged? Will he be forever stuck as an unfunny RDJ knock-off?

PS: Does anyone find it weird that in all of his years of publication, he has had neither a steady love interest (no "Lois Lane", no "Catwoman", not even a "Talia" and no, Masque does not count), nor a great rogues' gallery. What gives?
>>
>>91254270
he sucks
>>
>>91254270
>That's only made Tony much more bland and uninteresting though.

He's been that way to me throughout his entire history. So business as usual.
>>
>>91254402
Eh, depends. The books were always more focused on the man himself rather than being straight-up capes. The problem was that they never could take it far enough.

In my mind, Stark should be something out of Mad Men, or 60s US. Trying to make him too much of a goody-two-shoes breaks him and makes him bland.

Which is why I prefer "I'll beat the shit out of people wearing armors, just in case it contains something from my tech", instead of "lol, so random, like, you, like, built an armor? here are my designs and my AI".
>>
tony's problem is that he was meant to be a character you hate to love, but shitty lazy writers turned him into a character you just hate

you can't give writers free reign to turn a guy into an evil strawman for nearly ten years and then turn around and wonder why nobody wants to buy his comic
>>
>>91255822

Fair enough point. But personally, I think they neutered him a bit too much. He lost that "edge" he had. He was the Patriarchy Archetype, but that made him unique. He was a hero, yes, but he was also overprotective, a bit sexist, selfish, arrogant, and above all, a bussinessman.

Nowaday's he's just an RDJ knockoff, in an effort to erase all the CW stuff.
>>
Bendis Tony was okay briefly, before Civil War II and Tony being put in a coma

It seems he'll make a comeback in Secret Empire
>>
File: Iron Man.jpg (160KB, 600x914px) Image search: [Google]
Iron Man.jpg
160KB, 600x914px
>Fuck the goatee, give him his moustache back
>Manually build the armours with heat, hammers, etc
>Real person Jarvis who is pretty much DCEU Alfred, sitting at the computer while Tony's doing Iron Man shit
>More political, secretary of defence, etc
>Show him doing fancy people things more. Parties, fundraisers, cocaine.
>No more arc reactor, give him the chest plate back. Fuck, even make him have to plug it in again, make the cords longer because comic book logic, so he can still move around and shit
Like another poster said, he should give off a Mad Men/60s businessman vibe.
>>
>>91256713

But why would he regress into such old armor tech when his current suit is so advanced?

I like the idea of a more traditional Iron Man, but it doesn't really make any sense when he can pull an armor out of his ass these days
>>
>>91254270
RDJ is literally the only reason people care about Iron Man.
>>
og howard hughes iron man is better than modern rdj iron man
>>
Give Priest a run on Iron Man. He has always mentioned an interest in writing Iron Man, but Marvel loves their segregation.
>>
>>91254270
What? Cold War era storytelling isn't relevant to you anymore? The Mandarin, Crimson Dynamo and Wong-Chu isn't good enough for you?
>>
Opinion: They never should have removed the Bodyguard aspect of Tony Stark/Iron Man. That change is a big part in the neutering of the character.
>>
Invincible Iron Man was supposed to be Bendis making a big push for Tony, to make his comic hugely popular

Instead he got Tony out of the picture and replaced him with Riri
>>
>>91258509
Nah that's boring dynamic
Tony being more egotistical and being totally upfront about being Iron Man makes for a better character
>>
I like the MCU's characterization of Tony. You can really see how an inferiority complex brought on by his father has infiltrated every part of his life. The drinking, the armours, the Accords thing. All about never being good enough to measure up to dad
>>
>>91258745
It removes a lot of depth from Tony and makes him act in a single manner all the time, more or less. Villains might shit on his life still but the man isn't trying to put himself into this separate role, this higher standard.

With the bodyguard dynamic, you had Tony acting as his old playboy self, and Tony doing his damndest to be a better man. Someone responsible, someone able to lead The Avengers. A more serious (I said more) man.

Keeping that role there makes that striving for growth aspect of his character that makes him so endearing be ever-present. Without it he has been, as mentioned above in the thread, turned into an all-around irresponsible, oft times downright villainous showboating prick. He might stop cracking wise so much during serious moments, but the whole working for atonement and to be a better person thing has more or less gotten lost by the wayside.
>>
>>91259097
But if Tony and Iron Man are publicly the same, then he's responsible for what he does all the time
He can't compartmentalize things
If he's a total prick as Tony, then that tarnishes Iron Man, occasional leader of the Avengers, as well.
He can't hide behind personas
>>
>>91259221
>If he's a total prick as Tony, then that tarnishes Iron Man, occasional leader of the Avengers, as well.
>He can't hide behind personas

Which is exactly what has ended up happening.
>>
>>91259331
Maybe it's pottery with regards to the armour suit theme
>>
What's the appeal of Iron Man?

Other than super-tech armor and weapons, of course. I understand why those are appealing. I mean more about the character inside the armor.
>>
>>91259446
He's the least heroic of pretty much any major super-hero without resorting to being edgy or being an anti-hero.
>>
>>91259536
I suppose I can respect that. Spider-Man is my favorite super-hero because he's basically the MOST heroic, even when he doesn't want to or when it fucks his life up.
>>
>>91259536
Y'see I disagree with that.

Iron Man's who thing was that he was a shitty person who caused a whole lot of harm in the world who realized the error of his ways and came around to put his talents to the forces of good.

It's a good redemption tale.
>>
>>91259894
I guess that depends on how you define "heroic"
He's nothing like Cap
Even Thor has a standard of worthiness that he has to meet.

Is it more heroic to be a fuck up that still tries to do good?
Or just be good, through and through?
>>
>>91259813
>Spider-Man
>Most Heroic

There's alot to like about Spider-Man, anon, but most heroic isn't one of them.
>>
>>91260006
There's a case for Spider-man being the most heroic due to the sacrifices he makes in order to be a hero
>>
>>91254270
>So we're currently in a world where Iron Man is more or less a household name.
>That's only made Tony much more bland and uninteresting though.

This sounds like another "they suck because they're popular" thread, then again this is 4chan.
>>
>>91260091
Alot of heroes have to sacrifice alot, and they are many times less whiny than Spider-man..
>>
>>91259981
>Or just be good, through and through?

But this isn't how the character is being treated. He's just become worse overall.
>>
>>91254270
The only time he was interesting to me, was his "superior" phase. Tony is more interesting when he is an asshole.
>iron man is a household name
You mean RDJ.

Marvel is not gonna get out of this easily. He is too popular now, and they are incapable to make him interesting with so many casual eyes on him. Just look at how cap hydra has casuals going NOT MUH CAP without even reading it.
>>
>>91254270
He's not even that popular anymore, the Civil War polls done online for the Team Cap and Team Tony crap had Team Cap winning by a significant margin.

It's just the fucking Studio wanking RDJ.

Also Evans is already showing he wants to quit, especially if his latest appearance on Ellen Degeneres' show is of any indication. I wanted a solid third Cap film without Stank and his drama in it.

>>91258291
Marvel should have just let him write Cap without shoving Sam into the title. Fuuuck just let him do another go at Cap.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.