[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

New Claremont

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: rogue.jpg (99KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
rogue.jpg
99KB, 1024x768px
Why do people on /co/ keep saying that Claremonts return to X-men was so bad? I picked up a couple Xtreme X-men by Claremont from a bargain bin and they are far better than 90% of any other X-men authors. Are they as good as his original run? probably not, but they still stand out as some of the best X-men books.
>>
>>91248437
They're not bad.
The problem was it was like he never left, 2 decades earlier. They feel like the exact same type of story he's been reading.

The characters moved beyond him, he didn't evolve with them.
>>
>>91248491
>writer of a series leaves for years
>comes back
>writes characters the same as he did before he left
>the same characters he wrote before
WHO'DA THUNK?!
>>
>>91248491
yeah, but he still captured the characters properly. The other writers use the idea of 'evolving' them as to hide that they don't understand the characters at all.

And Claremont evolved those characters by his own hand. So when they changed it was natural
>>
>>91248437
X-Treme wasn't the basis of most of the criticism. It was created for Claremont to do his own thing.

His two returns to the core X-Men books are where a lot of the criticism comes from. His 2000 return was terrible, though it's hard to say how much of it was his fault.

Then he came back to Uncanny X-Men again in 2004 and it wasn't anything special.

He also had a habit of trying to push his pet characters even harder than before, like Sage. This drove people nuts on his Exiles run for example.

Accepting that he's an old-fashioned writer who will never be able to match what he did from 1975-1990 when he had almost complete control of the book, his work isn't the worst.
>>
>>91249945
every X-men author is guilty for pushing their favorites. I enjoy Sage, she is at least better than Jean and probably better than Kitty most of the time. I am just sick of authors pushing Kitty SO fucking much. She's better if she's not the authors waifu
>>
>>91249945
>X-Treme wasn't the basis of most of the criticism. It was created for Claremont to do his own thing.
it was still 616 though, right?
>>
>>91249945
The problem is that the stroke did things to him. like his new work is scattered as fuck.
>>
Rachel turning into a dinosaur was weird
>>
>>91251673
As weird as Calisto becoming a tentacle monster that seemed intent on raping Kitty?
>>
>>91249945
This basically
2004 Uncanny also had that stupid dinoRachel arc and lots of stupid moments. It definitely picked up with House of M and End of the Greys but it was too late (also New Excalibur was so pointless, Claremont keeps coming back to Captain Britain-related characters and shoving them everywhere but he never really captured Brian or what made that magic side of Marvel work in my opinion; Nocturne was super cute though)
>>
File: callisto.jpg (40KB, 354x474px) Image search: [Google]
callisto.jpg
40KB, 354x474px
>>91251909
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.