[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Art School Stories

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 290
Thread images: 43

Judging from the threads here it seems we have a lot of /co/ anons that went to school for cartoons or animation or just art in general. So how was/is your school? Did you learn a lot? Were your teachers good or bad? Do you have any stories about THAT guy that went to all your classes?

Back when I took a general arts course we had a legitimate autist that did Thomas the Tank paintings for all his assignments. I wish I could say he sperged out in class or anything but honestly he was just really quiet all the time and his paintings weren't half bad.
>>
>>91232492
well good he didn't. that'd be embarrassing for everyone.
>>
>>91232492
Teacher was incredibly biased against everything but he's specific style of drawing. American cartoons and comics were "consumerist trash". Japanese manga and anime was "all the same". Disney and Pixar were the devil, basically, that killed the animation industry in his own words. Videogame designs and animations "had no artistic merit whatsoever".

As you can imagine, he was a pretentious douchebag. However, the class decided to troll him, hard. We all drew sonic ocs for one assignment, causing him to go fuming outside the room. He started a beef with a guy for his drawings of anime OUTSIDE the class work, on his own project besides doing the assigned work as intended. He shows him different drawing and animation styles, Berserk, One Punch Man, Gurren Lagann, Jojo, One Piece, Junji Ito etc... to show different drawing styles and proportions, as well as overall tone. He mantains it's all the same.

Guy seriously recomends him to watch an anime called "boku no pico" at home. The rest of us weebs try to hold laughter; The teacher didn't speak to him once since that day.
>>
>>91232962
>Guy seriously recomends him to watch an anime called "boku no pico" at home

The absolute mad man
>>
>>91232962
Just out of curiosity, what was his preferred style of drawing?
>>
>>91233211
It wasn't realistic, that'd be understandable but we had another drawing class with live models, there we should try to depict things in a classical style, and it made sense. This guy was in charge of animation and illustration, and he basically liked really blocky and geometrical, almost experimental animations, mostly from Canada.
>>
>>91232492
>go to art school
>80% of the class is male
>90% of the girls are lesbians
>>
File: 1438297158938.jpg (159KB, 600x490px) Image search: [Google]
1438297158938.jpg
159KB, 600x490px
>>91232962
>Boku no pico at home
>>
File: 1491183402657.png (891KB, 1280x719px) Image search: [Google]
1491183402657.png
891KB, 1280x719px
I've never been THAT guy.

I'd be the girl who THAT guy would talk to nonstop until it made my ears bleed. And everyone else was spared the onslaught of the verbal ramblings of an autist and/or mad man just because I could actually understand what they were talking about and have the patience of steel (not to brag).

>Guy seriously recomends him to watch an anime called "boku no pico" at home

Also this man is a true beast.
>>
I should preface this by saying I didn't go to an "art" school, just a normal college that had an art program.

>So how was/is your school?
I enjoyed it. I liked the academic environment, living away from home and being on my own, being surrounded by peers who had similar interests, all the things that go with it.

>Did you learn a lot?
Honestly, no. The fatal flaw of the program was that it tried to teach too many different aspects, so you didn't really have time to delve into one particular field and really get good at it. A semester of learning After-Effects, two semesters of Maya, one for Photography, one for video, one for drawing... if you're in a four-year program, by the time you get the fundamentals and gen-ed stuff out of the way, you're halfway out the door.

I went in to study game design (and quickly lost interest) and by the time I got out I had barely a working knowledge of how to model/animate in Maya (most of which has now been forgotten). Granted I haven't put much more time outside of those classes to improve that, but I think that just further proves the point that the class really didn't do much to help. Same goes for other skills as well. I do digital illustration, and I've learned most of it (especially the digital part) just on my own with online resources and dicking around (it probably shows too).

>Were your teachers good or bad?
Mostly average. Some of them were really passionate about their work which reflected on their teaching, but one of them had a bad rep with my classmates because he had zero experience in the field. Another professor (who was teaching the same sort of class) worked at Bethesda studios (still does, I think) so naturally we all gravitated towards him more.

>Do you have any stories about THAT guy that went to all your classes?
We didn't have a "that guy", honestly. At least, I didn't.
>>
>>91233602
Usually when that happens to me I just give one word responses or purposely stop answering certain questions to give them the hint that I'm busy with something and they go away.

Still, supreme autists don't get these clues so I have to actually get up and go somewhere else and pretend like I have to talk to someone else. I don't know what it is about art schools, but they attract these people like flies to honey.
>>
>>91232962
that's ironic considering this was an art teacher. I've seen many English professors who would act like this, but never thought art teachers would pull this type of shit.
>>
>>91233882
Oh wait, I remembered a "that guy" story. Only it was a woman, and one of our professors.

She was a hardcore feminist who showed us her "artwork", which involved large installations/sculptures about periods. One of them was something like a giant vagina-looking thing that leaked red sand or some shit like that. Rumor has it she had a bad run with her husband, divorced him and then became a lesbian. She would teach straight out of a textbook, had ludicrous requirements for how to keep your sketchbook and even what kind you were allowed to have. Her "lessons" consisted of showing us 30-minute videos each class, all from the same series, which just documents different artists and their work. Always boring as hell, and I remember I would sit in the back of the class with the desk ratcheted up so I could draw and dick around on my laptop to keep myself from falling asleep.

Basically if your project had anything to do with vaginas, it was a guaranteed A for that class, though I personally never took advantage of that (don't know why, now that I think about it)

That class was one of many that convinced me to transfer schools. I left that part out before - the wrong school can really fuck up your career as an art student.

I guess that's my lesson after all this. The curriculum is everything. If I could do it all over again, I'd look for one that really delves into a concentrated area, like 3-D modeling or high-level digital illustration for concept art. I don't even know how many schools get that specific, but they should.
>>
>>91234002
Most art teachers outside of primary school are basically self-interested pricks who are burned cause they couldn't make a name for themselves, so a lot of them do petty shit like play favorites or are just all around assholes
>>
File: 1365413323786.jpg (49KB, 613x533px) Image search: [Google]
1365413323786.jpg
49KB, 613x533px
We had a teacher that would google questions we asked him before giving us a response, and he was old so he couldn't google very well.

At which point you just have to think, why is he getting paid 90k a year when I can do his job better than him?
>>
>>91233907
Oh I did that. A lot. Then I had to resort to headphones.
But it sorta felt rude to 'pawn them off' on someone else and/or to ignore them. It hurt my internal conscience jimmies.

My mother always said that it's just a good thing that they're doing something. It's probably a relief for the parents that their kids can actually go to a school (a low risk 'creative' environment that's not as stressful or complicated as perhaps a science major) and get a degree even if it might not help them very much in the long run.

I am not an art major but I am taking an art class for hours and have taken plenty of after school classes in the past so I'm not an expert on the subject obviously.
>>
>>91234079
>>91234050
Sometimes I wonder if I should have majored in music.

Then I'm reminded of the common "art" ""teachers"" and how far up their own asses they are.
>>
>>91234050
It's also important to remember that grades don't matter. Even if Vagina Woman would give you an A if you did art similar to hers, it doesn't matter. You should do work that you want to put on your reel or work you feel will improve you as an artist. Companies don't give a fuck about your grades.

But from what you're saying that teacher didn't even have the knowledge to help you with projects so it didn't matter anyway.
>>
I went to SCAD, and while I have fond memories of the school, I hated Savannah itself for alot of reasons not suitable to bring up here. However the school itself is kinda dickish and they crammed the sequintial department off in the ass-end of the city in a rundown two-story building with enough parking for *maybe* 10 cars, whereas the other departments were in futuristic awesome buildings or classy *actual school building buildings*

Alot of the teachers there knew their shit. I only had really one 'asshole teacher' who was a fucking prick that kept saying he had no time for his students (in a fucking introductory class at that) off the clock; everybody else, even ole Bob Pendarivs was at least to some extent a positive learning experience.

I made a huge mistake however, and didn't practice enough daily. I wish I'd paid more attention in photoshop classes and also regret not making more connections; if I'm ever going to have a career, I still have a long ways to go.
>>
>being an art major
that's the lowest of the low for humanities majors

at least with my masters in film I've gotten to make a couple of indie films and I teach a couple classes here and there at a uni
>>
File: IMG_7931.gif (423KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7931.gif
423KB, 400x300px
>>91232962
>>91233298
>We all drew sonic ocs for one assignment, causing him to go fuming outside the room.
>boku no pico
>Canada
>>
>>91235411
Film is art, anon. You're an art major too.
>>
File: 1396908011638.gif (488KB, 460x352px) Image search: [Google]
1396908011638.gif
488KB, 460x352px
>Judging from the threads here it seems we have a lot of /co/ anons that went to school for cartoons or animation or just art in general.

What the fuck gave you that idea? Have you seen the drawthreads here?
>>
>>91235411
i'm a graphic design major
i've been steadily working as a gd and illustrator since college, never once being unemployed

i'm also friends with several people who went to college for tv production and film production, and since those programs didn't have mandatory demo reels, (like graphic design had mandatory portfolios) none of those kids are doing anything with their degree

if you go to college to get a career you can do it with any art degree, if you go to college to be a fine artist (including film) you had better be good or your wasting your time
>>
One of the stories I remember most from art school was this one guy. He was usually pretty quiet but something was always a bit off.

Well one day in the middle of class he just starts screaming. He starts yelling about how all women have betrayed him and they are liars and manipulated him. He sat next to 3 girls and they all started to try and comfort him and calm him down but he would not listen. He then jumped up and runs out of the class room, through the halls and rips the front doors of the film center off their hings (mind you this guy was a beanpole I have no idea how he did this).

A girl in class after this told us he had been stalking her for a while and she had turned him down because she was already in a long term relationship with another guy. She had to get a restraining order and everything. Her boyfriend and a lot of her friends started walking her to and from classes for a while.

I never saw the guy again after that day.
>>
one time we had an old guy nude model

he clearly jerked off before hand so he wouldn't get a woody looking at all the young college girls

he didn't cleanup well enough because his dick started leaking that post cum jizz

a long, yellow string of cum, hanging from his dick

he didn't move, so half of the figure drawing session we're just looking at his dick snot, which is so much worse than just looking at an old man or and old man with a woody
>>
File: IMG_1243.jpg (24KB, 374x250px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1243.jpg
24KB, 374x250px
>>91236523
Jesus.
>>
>>91232492 (OP)#
Art school years were the best of my life.
>be a total sperg music/anime nerd with no experience in life
>people didn't gave a shit
>QTs ask me for music recommendations
>made great friends
>party every weekend
>went from virgin to having like 20 sexual partners in 2 years
>had a threesome in front of 6 people
>can be a nerd freely without judgement
>>
>>91235923
What's your illustration job like? I just got hired as a graphic designer myself, but I really would like to be a children's book illustrator.
>>
>>91236074
was he a good artist though
>>
Never been to art school, and most likely never will because I don't have money like that. But did have some art classes in High School and whatever.
I keep asking this question, gotten many responses, but still keep wondering; why are artists, especially Art Teachers, always assholes in some way? Even a shit "artist" like me must have been an asshole in some way.
>>
>>91235923
There's a big difference between doing something functional like graphic design and something like "art" or "illustration" that's useless half the time unless you've got connections or are just that great or lucky, though it's still damn competitive and honestly I think a graphic design degree is a bad idea for most people because most won't be able to find a job with it.
>>
>>91232962
>The teacher didn't speak to him once since that day.

So either:
a) he actually took the time to look up boku no pico
b) He already knew what boku no pico was which he could only likely know if he watches some form of anime/manga
>>
>>91232492
>Back when I took a general arts course we had a legitimate autist that did Thomas the Tank paintings for all his assignments. I wish I could say he sperged out in class or anything but honestly he was just really quiet all the time and his paintings weren't half bad.

I'm imagining some guy quietly but intensely producing these gorgeous, Old Master-style paintings of Thomas the Tank engine. If you visit his home he's turned the roof of his garage into a Sistine Chapel-like Thomas mural.
>>
>>91236639
No not really
>>
>>91233882
>We didn't have a "that guy", honestly. At least, I didn't.

You know what that means, right, anon?
>>
>>91235243
Christ I remember having to go to the sequential department at SCAD. I scheduled all my sequential classes at 8AM just so I could get a damn parking spot.
>>
>>91236639
>>91236809
kek
>>
I went to a place called Atlantic in puerto rico. Some of the teachers where annoyingly pretentious,and there definitely is alot of autism (which I was part of) but it's a pretty good university. I remember once the faculty managed to get a live skype interview with a famous animator that worked on the iron giant.
>>
it was awful.
> Did you learn a lot?
I have suicidal ideation
>>
>>91236978
I was SEQA major in grad school there. Holy fuck, I couldn't stand any of them. I hung with the animation kids more. A lot of them were more normal and into more of the stuff I liked too than the hipster shit in sequential department.
>>
>>91237379
I only minored in SEQA. Wanted to double-major but didn't quite have the money. And from what I saw, most of the kids in the SEQA department were either just there to waste their parents' money, or colossal weebs with no desire to learn.
>>
I bet there is at least one person from Sheridan here
>>
Anyone from CalArts?
>>
Anyone have experience with SVA? I might be enrolling in about a year if i hit the lottery
>>
>>91235243
I study Video Game Art/Animation, and my classmate actually graduated from SCAD. She's in the same situation you're in, and because the state where I live has more game companies than film companies, she's trying to break in the game industry to have more job experience before getting her dream job in Film animation. I've heard that the career advisers at SCAD either make it or break it for you when it comes to helping you find a job after graduating. Unfortunately she was stuck with a bad adviser, and now she's back home while her other friends got jobs at Dreamworks TV.
>>
>>91234050
>She was a hardcore feminist
>installations/sculptures about periods

I fucking knew it. The moment I read "hardcore feminist" I knew her "artwork" was about periods. Is always the same shit.
>>
>>91237182
You want pretentious, go to Escuela de Artes Plasticas.
>>
>>91235243
>I hated Savannah itself for alot of reasons not suitable to bring up here
Tell us, anon
>>
>>91236621
it's good some times and boring other times
the most fun i've had was with t-shirt design or album covers

i've done some children's book work, but i was in direct contact with the author, via a manager of sorts, so i can't give any advice really
although knowing how to watercolor well always helps
>>
>>91234102
>teacher is old
>can't google for shit
Same with my teacher. I don't go to an art school, but I'm in my college's digital art program it's shit. Anyways, I'm taking Art History II and History of Modern Art with the same teacher. He's old as dirt on a donkey's ass and can't work a video projector worth shit. Why aren't ALL of the teachers taught how to use the tech in the school that they fucking teach in? And why is it always the old ones that struggle with it the most?
>>
I finished my business degree last year and now i plan to go for some sort of art degree in the fall, Im having a hard time deciding what though. I thought about animation, but I just really like to draw and paint so i dont know maybe illustration or graphic design?
>>
Went to SCAD, majored in sequential art and had a minor in animation. Realized halfway that I should've majored in animation, but it would've end up being too expensive to switch majors. I thought comics would be a great alternative to get my ideas out, but I learned that I wasn't as passionate about it as I thought, not to mention the industry kind of sucked. The students were pretentious too. I thought comics in the U.S. was as big as it was in Europe or in Japan (I lived overseas most of my childhood). BOY, was I wrong.
Also the career advisor sucked. All he did was tell me to use the school's website to find jobs. Meanwhile, I overheard the career advisor for animation on the other side of the room giving a student contact info to a Disney network.

Admittedly, I graduated from college a little bitter and resentful (though that mostly went away thanks to solving my college debt problems), but ended up learning a lot about art, myself, and rekindled my love of making Flash animations. I don't work in the industry (I learned I'm not really cut out for it), but I have friends that can help me get a pitch a show if I wanted to, and I was offered to be on TripTank and Smosh's animation channel. So opportunities are always present.

As for having a class with THAT guy: not only was SCAD full of them, but not a day goes by where I don't feel embarassed that I was likely THAT guy myself.
>>
>>91237459
Yes, and his name is Technical Dave, he does a lot of videos on sheridan and you can obviously see from his videos he goes on the chans.
>>
To those that went to school, how did you afford it? Im dirt poor and dont think i could mentally handle being in so much debt
>>
>>91239704
Why arent you "cut out" for it?
>>
>>91239786
Being a professional artist, like actually making a living off it, is a looooooot more effort than many folks actually think it is.
>>
>>91239704
Please tell us stories of THAT guy.
>>
>>91233331
I've been in numerous art classes and number of females almost always outnumber males 3 to 1.
>>
File: 1483944548386.png (122KB, 361x370px) Image search: [Google]
1483944548386.png
122KB, 361x370px
>>91236523
>that one male model with a cock almost as wide as it was long with a massive prince albert
>used to make eye contact with the people drawing him
>asked to leave after trying to date one of the students (no feminism, he would legitimately badger girls after and before classes)
>>
>>91241510
""""art"""" classes? Or classes that teach draftsmanship as a skill? The former is usually mostly women but the latter has always had an equal ratio for me.
>>
File: 1483137998517.gif (2MB, 350x300px) Image search: [Google]
1483137998517.gif
2MB, 350x300px
>>91237771
I took a bunch of cartooning classes as a youngin with a man who animated for Disney back in the day. He encouraged me to try to go to SVA. My high school had a lot of 'senior work example' books from SVA that I used to pour over like it was religion.

>mfw the price

Parents basically said 'lol, no', couldn't get a scholarship and was terrified to go into that much debt.
>>
>>91232492
>how is/was your school
It was actually pretty good aside the Arts Department shitting all over Illustration and Animation by throttling their classes offered while keeping Fine Arts under-demanded classes plentiful. If you were either concentration good luck taking the ONE class you need to graduate until the very last semester if you can manage it. They also went full retard on the scheduling to break up 6 hour classes into two-day 3 hour ones, which is fucking BAD for shit like Life Studies Painting.

>Did you learn a lot?
Well yeah, I didn't start drawing until a year or so before I charged into the concentration. The improvement was real, I cringe looking at my CC work. I also got to pitch a show idea to Nick, that was a crash course in learning experience.

GOOD. My uni pressed for learning anatomy and studying motion as basics before getting stylized and some even worked or were still working in the industry if they were Animation/Illustration.

>THAT guy
Hahaha THAT guy showed up the semester I was graduating. I dodged a bullet. Feel bad for my friend who just got there though, he had to deal with that dude on his own.
>>
>>91239264
>can't work a video projector worth shit.
To be fair, that might not be entirely his fault. I study IT and even my teachers sometimes have trouble with the projectors - it isn't that they don't know their shit, it's just that the video projectors tend to develop all kinds of problems.
>>
File: crying in the rain.gif (1MB, 365x381px) Image search: [Google]
crying in the rain.gif
1MB, 365x381px
Is there an age limit when enrolling to animation colleges?

I'm turning 30 soon.
>>
>>91234079
This is true. Though, not all of them. but even then, they show subtle bias that you can notice or pick up.

I went to SVA.
>>
>>91241592
YEP. SVA is notorious for it's insane pricing. One of the reason why I regret going there as not only did I not learn anything new there (i learn more self teaching), but found out most famous comic artist didn't even go to art school. IMO, Art schools in general are ripoff. Coming from an artist myself.
>>
>>91241942
me too ...me too
but i'll try it anyway
>>
>>91241552
Wait, are you from Kuberts? Because that guy never said a word to anybody while I was there, everybody loved him because he was ripped and could hold a pose forever.
>>
>>91241592
Lol, I thought about going there, but the pricing for it is literally a million dollars for the full years.
>>
>>91241592
yeah i from the EU and being brought up with free universities it was a shock to see the prices.
The most expensive univ. here is around 319$ per semester.
>>
File: image.jpg (160KB, 665x1200px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
160KB, 665x1200px
>>91238007
Could you elaborate my hispanic friend?
>>
Either I keep seeing the same people 'round /co/, or we have a decent SVA population lurking about.

I guess I have a 'that guy' story. More like a niblet than a story. He'd write super serious reviews and descriptions of Smash Bros on his Facebook, had a turbo nasal voice, creeped on the girls in the animation department (all girls) and generally put little to no effort into his work.

Anyway, at one point someone got the IP of our dorm building banned from 4chan, and he made a big ol' stink about it on Facebook for the next few days until he could go back on The End
>>
>>91240285
Like what? Storyboarding or making a name for yourself in general?
>>
>>91242373
Both
>>
>>91241942
There's a bald Russian dude in his 50s studying animation in my school. If he got in, I don't think you'll have a problem.
>>
>>91239704
I was in the same boat. Majored in SEQA, regretted it halfway through, career advisors did nothing but say look at our site (Can't believe they get paid to practically do nothing), yet a lot of people I knew, especially some who I helped when they came to me for advise, now never get back to me while they're living it up at Disney TV or Dreamworks TV. At least I'm not in debt, too.

And yeah, the student body in that dept is the worse.
>>
>try to network, sell at conventions, post my work online
>gain a small following, meet a handful of new people
>been doing this for two years and nothing has changed
>looking into SVA
>200k
How the fuck do so many people in the industry not have degrees? How do you meet the right people? How do you break 100 followers on twitter?
>>
>>91242611
Howd you get rid of debt?
>>
>>91242620
Dad sold all the stock he got from his company and made bank. Super generous to pay of the remainder of all I had left with a portion of what he made. Damn, I love my dad!
>>
>>91242612

If you can't break 100 followers in a month or two, you're either doing something wrong, or you may need to make an honest reassessment of your skill level.
>>
I've had two art teachers now that have totally killed my motivation to practice art.
The first one was in 8th grade. The second one was a life drawing teacher from a course last year.
>>
>East Coast, can't afford a good art school
>go to some bum ass state school and get a BFA in fine art and graphic design
>make no good connections, so I go 4 years without getting a job I went to school for
>finally get contract and freelance work for 3 years, making about $40-50k
>make $64k salaray now at some branding company making PowerPoints less ugly and SOMETIMES getting to illustrate or animate, but I work from home and get to do personal work when I finish early

Part of me wants to try getting into a better school and making connections, but I'll be 29 in a few days and feel like it's too late. Plus, I dunno if I'd even have a decent portfolio.
>>
>>91242750
Tell him that offline
>>
>>91242822
Thing is i do more than ok on instagram. Twitter is the only one im lacking in. For some reason i just cant gain traction.
>>
>>91234079
I went to school in RI. Literally every art teacher is someone who wanted to go to RISD and couldn't get in or went and think they're fucking creating the new velvet underground.

Being pretentious is the default for many art school people. Not art-tech, art school. They think fine art is art and things you could learn at ITT are jokes. Can't say I disagree 100 percent with them but you shouldn't be an art teacher if you can't look at someone with stick figures and see whether the stick figure is better or worse than it was yesterday.

I took a gen ed art class at my school and the teacher was a RISD grad. His girlfriend currently enrolled there would fill in for him sometimes. Both were EXTREMELY insufferable and basically held the notion that anything recognizable as a form was trash. People? Trash. Animals? Trash. Only liked abstract shit.
>>
>>91238976
Well, since you asked, it was largely weather/environment related. Too hot, too humid, and there were usually 2-3 giant flashfloods every fuck year and power-outages were relatively common. Shittiest comcast service in the history of shitty comcast service and I had a terrible upstairs neighbor who was regularly having drunken sex in an old creaky house during the weekends and was unapologetic to the point where she painted me as a terrible person for hitting the ceiling with a broom to get them to cut that shit out. The Landlord was also a passive asshole at times.
>>
>>91232492
i don't see the point of going to art school.
no offense, but why go to art school and be shitted by your art teacher, when you can get the same result here or on /b/
>>
back in college I used to draw and paint all the time, but my experience with fellow painters and how fucking obnoxious they sometimes were, probably was a reason I didn't follow for a masters. I'm not saying all artists were bad, just the set I met was enough.
>>
Animation department. But the story isn't about the classes or classmates since animators tend to be antisocial and shy in the class.

I held a comic book club every wednesday after school, which was about both reading and drawing and talking shit while doing it, quite a lot of the quiet ones also attended. Troubles began on the third year when new first year students had a couple of Tumblrettes who joined our club. In my country SJWs are a rarity but there we had two genuine specimens, they looked like the Smugglypuff on that video where that conservative chick gets assaulted by a trannie.

Not three weeks after, one of my classmates told a clumsy joke about sex in the club, a very quiet and antisocial guy (but then most animators are quiet and shy), both the Tumblr-spawns were severely offended and demanded his head for this vile microaggression. As the head of the club I put a stop to that shit immediatly and told them that if they want to hang out in the club and communicate like human beings, they should grow a thicker skin and accept people sometimes say stupid shit. They didn't come back next Wednesday. A month after I realised I became somewhat of a pariah for the first year students, as I asked the Tumblrettes in the food-serving line how their project was doing and they threw a temper tantrum accusing me of various kinds of stupid shit.

When I graduated, took a last visit to the classroom to thank the teacher and ask for phone numbers of classmates in case we could have an animated project in the future. Noticed both the Tumblristas busy sitting on facebook and Tumblr furiously F5:ing their blogs. From that moment on I was sure they were going to drop out in the 2nd year, our teacher had low tolerance for tardiness and 2nd year had a 5 month lasting huge project that usually made the majority of students quit the field.
>>
>>91243934
That's why I'm surprised that others in this thread were taken aback by the pretentiousness of art teachers.

Almost every single "artist" I've ever met is an asshole. No redeeming quailities. Even if they're the "that's great, so great, everything is great." type person. They just say everything is great and expect you to tell them their the best. Most people don't want others to succeed. Especially in art because they think they deserve to succeed. And nobody does.

>>91243943
This shit is going to get worse. They probably complained about that months long project and either got extensions or were granted a different project. It's not about being proficient. It's about them passing cause girls can too.

"Boys clubs" not only should but MUST be infiltrated and made more diverse. Because diversity makes things better. Because conversations should be policed.

Wouldn't want little Susan to think she can't take STEM classes because it's for the boys.
>>
>>91244020
they were malicious too. We had a magazine that would come out that they monopolized and when I made the cover, I could tell they didn't like it. I hope their paint thinner dripping drawings are successful one day.
>>
>>91244020
The few artists that ive met and stayed in touch with arent like that at all. Kinda why we still talk.
>>
>>91244020

>This shit is going to get worse. They probably complained about that months long project and either got extensions or were granted a different project.

Probably not. In my country majority of art students are girls these days. The decline of men in the art schools began as early as late 90's. Majority of the animation class was decent people, if a bit on the quiet side. I was probably the loudest person in our class, which is probably why I got to lead that 5 month project when it came up for us.
>>
>>91241942
Depends on where you live. I know some European art schools have an age limit, but I don't think there's such a thing for American schools.
>>
>>91241942

Private academies probably don't, since you pay for them.

Heres a way to learn animation without going to school:

Buy the Animator's survival kit-book and Disney's Illusion of Life. For additional help in storytelling techniques that can also be utilized in animation, consider getting Scott McClouds Making Comics.

Before you even consider animating, you have to be a passable artist at first, buy Successful Drawing by Andrew Loomis, draw both from life while memorizing how things like the human skeleton, lighting and colors work. Lastly, most importantly:

DRAW SOMETHING EVERY SINGLE DAY. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF ITS STUPID SCRIBBLES OR SOMETHING SERIOUS, HAVE A PENCIL IN YOUR HAND EVERYDAY. The sooner you begin, sooner you achieve the magical "10 000 drawings" where you start noticing you're becoming good at it.

If you are tight on money, most of the books I recommended should have torrent PDFs, I know Loomis' Successful Drawing can be found as a free (and legal) PDF with a google search.

Hope that helps, don't waste your money, you spend 95% of the time in art schools doing self-study anyway, the only thing art schools provide is different tools, working environment and critique sessions. Actual learning still happens the same way.
>>
>>91244541
Not the anon yours replying to, but the hard part for me is networking. Its hard to find artists around here that arent hit tier anime artists. Thats the main reason id ever go to school.
>>
I majored in fine arts in college, went in hoping to get techical training, stuff like figure drawing, help with perspective, using different mediums. Basically wanted to hone my traditional media skills since i wasnt really good at painting or using stuff like charcoal or pastels. Figured i could translate those skills into my personal work, like for comics.

classes were pretty bogus. There wasnt any technical training, and it was more about " finding your voice" and the professors kept talking about art as a tool to spread messages and how artists were supposed to speak for something. I didnt see it at the time but it was pure indoctrination and propaganda.

My watercolor teachers were great though ,they actually taught techniques, i learned a lot from those two.

Didnt even get in good with any of the girls because i was a total idiot around them
>>
>>91244668

Thats a pretty expensive way to network.
>>
>>91244743
Whats the alternative? Get lucky and make a meme by accident like kc green and beartato guy?
>>
>>91244146
You're DEFINITELY not in America. Not my liberal ass part at least. You can't even tell a girl she did a math problem wrong without being evil. Trying to tell her that her animation is wonky? Any suggestion or note is disregarded as biased and mean.
>>
>>91244812

Go to art forums, fuck, even Deviantart is a better choice as shitty place as it is. Any hangout with a lot of artists around. It beats paying 3000-10000 dollars a year for just "networking".

>>91244879

Scandinavia, like I said SJWs are a rarity here, if you don't count our shitty neighbour Sweden.
>>
>>91233331
i'm mad
my class is :60 str8 males 40% str8 females (not even bi-curious )
were da fuck did you live anon
>>
I know a guy in my design class who wants to be cremated when he dies so he can have his ashes put into a sword which he plans to give his son.

That, and my roommate stopped going to pretty much all of his classes so he could sleep all day and play LoL all night. Which I don't really give a shit about, since the guy's pretty much a quiet loner who spends all of his free time watching shitty video game streams, but he goes on till like 3 in the fucking morning so it's hard to fall asleep
>>
>>91241565
This is a big distinction I think should have been made earlier in the thread. This thread, I thought, referred to draftsmanship and, you know, actually making art. Not like art theory. Theory is FULL of females. Actual Art classes are a more mixed bag, drawing classes are still mostly male around me.
>>
File: ijustwantedtoanimate.gif (942KB, 253x216px) Image search: [Google]
ijustwantedtoanimate.gif
942KB, 253x216px
i've replied to threads like these before

>be me 3 years ago
>18 yr old in britbongland
>apply for animation degree
>turn up for interview and there is a hairy neckbeard in bad ouran highschool host club cosplay also applying
>holyshitcringe.jpg
>laugh to myself and think well at least I won't see him once I get in
>is real creepy throughout the whole art test we had to do, grabbed me around the waist at one point
>not even bleach can wash that feeling away
>go home and forget about it during the 3 month wait
>turn up for first day of uni and he is there dressed as naruto
>is constant cringe and a creep for the rest of uni
>well at least there is only one of him
>mfw 7 tumblrites joined this year
>they roll around on the floor like autistic children shouting about sonic and yuri on ice

i graduate soon so I'll finally be free but also adding onto peoples previous comments there is only 3 guys in my class and 23 girls myself included
>>
>>91244668
Offer freebies to Online celebrities that are still raising (preferably ones who do stuff they like), especially if it is animation, they will definitely expose you.

That's How Jaiden Animation got where she is.
>>
>>91244812
>and make a meme by accident like kc green and beartato guy?
KC green and NEdroid guy are genuinly funny and talented people. they didn't get lucky.

Any way, if you want an easy hack to boost your popularity, do fanart. Mario, Zelda, Basically anything nintendo, also Disney princess, if it's good enough, you will see your exposure get a sudden boosts.

there are tons of fans putting classic character name in the search engine and scooting everything related. If it's good enough, they might see the rest of your work and get interested in your OC.

Thinly veiled fetish (not too much, so that it doesn't close doors) are quite effective too.

You might not like it, but damn, it works.
>>
>>91245595
Could you clarify a little? Freebies as in free work? And celebrities like arin hanson and such? Ive had small interactions with the game grumps in person and i was too nervous to plug myself. That was a year of two ago though.
Ive tried shit like that with some big indie comic artists on twitter and they dont eve bother. Meanwhile i have bigshot storyboarders following me on instagram. Shits weird
>>
>>91245731
>Freebies as in free work?
Yes
> And celebrities like arin hanson and such?
Preferably someone you like. But in case of Arin, he already do his own animations.
>>
>>91232962
>>91234079
Went to art school, from what I have seen there are two types of professors there.

>Ones who were successful and had lengthy careers and this is now their retirement job or something to stave off boredom. They are pretty great and have some genuinely good advice for how to succeed
>Ones who failed in the private sector because they were egotistical weirdos, or they wanted to push their own flavor of incredibly weird and unsellable shit but doubled down on their lack of success by assuming the world is wrong and they are right. They took up teaching to pay bills and are bitter about the horrible plebeian society that shunned them, and will be bitter towards anyone else they think represents that small minded peasant world.

I've had tons of both types and can recognize it pretty easily.
>>
Senior at SCAD right now. Animation major with storyboard minor. Basically feel similar to most of the other SCADanons here. School is way overpriced but scholarships help and honestly aren't too hard to get assuming you didn't shut around all through high school.
Love almost every professor I've had, only 3 bad ones and they were still nice people, just not a good teacher. Having a bad CMPA professor definitely put my on a slower start with some of the software but it's all good now.
I've heard people shitting on the Seqa building and I'm assuming that was the building before they moved to Haymans which I've never had a complaint about.
>>
>>91233602
>>91233907
Had to sit next to someone who did this. He would go on for a very long time about some anime he just watched, sometimes acting out the characters.

But the weird part is that he would constantly ask very strange questions from nowhere. Things with no lead-in that would make me want to just go "Wait...what the fuck?!" but he was genuinely awkward and just did not know how to interact with people.
>>
I really nervous about talking an art class at the local college. Hopefully it won't be a waste of time.
>>
>>91234324
I had a professor that would constantly remind us of this. He always said grades only matter in school. No employer will ever give a shit about your GPA so concentrate on making your work perfect for a portfolio and not perfect for a grade.
>>
>>91235243
There is no parking in Savannah, just none. I went to the Atlanta campus which has a huge parking deck and they do not give a shit if you park there and leave your car in the same spot for three months.

But the career advisors are crap, I got my info from the professors, because half of them are still working in the industry. The best method is to get to know which professors are the working ones and ask them about the industry. They will always have more info to give than the advisors (most of which never worked in any industry at all) And go to EVERY meet up they host, and they host a damn lot of them.
>>
>>91242946
Post your portfolio
>>
>>91245542
>girl in london
ah ha ha ha it writes itself!
>>
>>91246434
this
and to everyone else that has attended if they dont mind. just curious
>>
File: CAQyhZOUkAA7QZh.jpg (36KB, 507x329px) Image search: [Google]
CAQyhZOUkAA7QZh.jpg
36KB, 507x329px
Does architecture count as art school?
>>
>>91246146
I have taken classes in Savannah and Atlanta, and I don't think I have met anyone who had a good time in CMPA.

My CMPA professor never covered Maya, instead he made us use Cinema 4D. So when I got to my first 3D animations classes I had to learn Maya right there in the first couple weeks while the professor assumed I knew it already. That was hell.
>>
>>91246638
Wow that sucks. No my cmpa professor was new and fresh from the industry and he was teaching on a level that he assumed we were proficient in the software already. He was also more of a VSFX person while I'm animation so he's projects called for very high level of photo realism. If it wasn't for my friend that was a VSFX major herself, I wouldn't have done well in that class at all.
>>
>>91235243
Went to scad I can only say three maybe four teacher were worth their salt at Norris. John Lowe 4 life. Those fucking boxes will kill me one day.
>>
went to vancouver for art classes

don't feel like I learned much

classmates were absolutely awful except for some hidden gems

>Two girls that were the epitome of basic bitch and attention whores, one snapchated the ending of lion king (we were only watching the ending for analysis) and captioned it with "everytime I watch this movie, always makes me cry ;_;". another would have her artist boyfriend do the drawing homework for her and once used her miscarriage as inspiration for a horror movie called "amber alert" about a monster that ate babies

>Canadian guy that constanly claimed he was Indonesian, said he's prefer to watch a toddler's scribbles than any classical painting because it has EMOTION, MAAAN

>Fatso Canadian that only made RWBY fanfics and tought he would get a 10 just for putting a starbucks coffee cup on top of a napkin next to a marker and call it abstract art

>Chinese guy that lived for 3 years in canada and still didn't know how to speak english, apparently he was a popular dudebro in his own language

Spent so much money and got little to show it over, that's why I'm studying law now
>>
>>91244020
Most chicks who get into stem almost always have the grades to back it up. If They can't hash it it's either too hard for almost everyone because the teacher is just teaching on another level or they quit. In most stem programs being a girl gets you scholarships and job opportunities but you still have to complete the program yourself.
>>
>>91246524
girls do live in london contrary to popular belief
>>
>>91232492
I going to art school worth it or is the only point of spending all your money on it to gain connections?
>>
>>91245542
LONDON
O
N
D
O
N
>>
>>91246591
Yes. Now tell us your story.
>>
>>91247031
This is the point of most university education. At least in the US. The more you pay, the richer the students, the more connect their parents, the more likely you are to get a job with higher pay. Its why jews act like greeks for 4 years. To make white kids pay them money to be "brothers" because their jewish dad owns some sort of firm somewhere and that white kid doesn't want to go from living in a nice middle class neighborhood like his parents to a shitty apartment in the city to be a wage slave when he's better educated than his parents ever were.
>>
>>91247031
Not OP, but it's definitely worth it assuming you can get some scholarship stuff. Making connections is huge and certainly one of the biggest things about going, but no one's art is perfect. You'll learn some new things or new approaches you haven't thought of before which will only make your art better. It's also a good time period to expand your portfolio, and it's crazy how little people take advantage of having access to all this industry level technology and only do their assignments instead of making more stuff on the side.
>>
>>91244541
All of this is true, but sometimes I feel that for animation, going to art school is good not only for the connections but to be exposed and gain access to all the software available that's used in the industry.
Sequential art is a waste, though. Even the teachers at SCAD say so. Anything you learn there can be taught in a Christopher Hart book.
As for connections and exposure, go to comic cons and show your portfolio around. Can't do that? Post your art online on Deviantart, Tumblr, Twitter, and Facebook art groups. Want faster results? Draw fanart.
>>
Going to a state school for graphic design/digital media. Have to take other art classes but it's not so bad since most teachers are nice and there's a lot of emphasis on craftsmanship and composition. The closest thing to a That Guy story I can think of is some ultra fat guy who always wears a leather vest, a bunch of buttons that say shit like "I heart anime", and has a man bun. I don't have any classes with him but apparently he sings a the time and wont shut up. His work is awful too. On one photo assignment he literally turned in blurry photos of his gaming computer.
>>
Well, I'm still thinking of going to the art institute, seems like I'll learn a lot and improve my illustrations. I'm "okay" when it comes to drawing on my own, but I want to improve and actually make either a cartoon or an anime although, I'm going to start making my own comic book universe. I apologize for getting off track, but is it worth going to the art institute? Or is it a waste of time?
>>
>>91247198
Not much to tell really. I'm pretty much an introverted person that likes to keep my circle of friends small but yeah we definitely had "that guy".
>dude's obsessed with architecture
>obnoxious voice and punchable face
>randomly barges in casual conversations forcing his own interests
>mocks you for not knowing architect X or Y
Sure, I admire him being ambitious and he must be an alright lad but he seriously needs to work on his social cues.
>>
File: WP_20170303_10_59_11_Pro (2).jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
WP_20170303_10_59_11_Pro (2).jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
I'm going to art school despite never having any prior experience or interest in art whatsoever. I just randomly decided it. So far it's pretty good, I'm learning lots (mainly because I never knew anything beforehand). A lot of shy and antisocial people, though, so that kinda sucks.

ā…” of the art students over there are people that either failed to get into animation, or didn't have the prerequisites. If I ever finish my degree, I might lock myself in my basement and draw till I git gud and take a crack at animation.

Pic related. Some painting I did for class last week
>>
>>91246782
My other big regret is that I never ended up in any of his classes. I was there with Pendarvis, Kneece (who is a great guy even if he sounds like Eeyore a little) Tom Lyle and a few others.
>>
Kind of related to the thread but not really.

I've always been a writing kind of guy, but now I'm academically stuck (19 years old with no good outlooks in the future). I've always loved cartoons and tried to learn how to draw but really didn't delve into it because I got easily frustrated. But now with all this free time in my hands and nothing to lose, should I try to learn again? I've never received any proper artistic education aside from 3 years of really basic artistic training from 13 to 16 while I was in school, and I was never really that virtuous at it back then. Still, should I give it a shot or is my situation hopeless?
>>
>>91247321
SCAD student, nearly everyone here who is not in sequential cannot understand why a sequential curriculum exists. It's not like any comic company at all looks for that...ever.

Most assume it is more of a self indulgence for students who come from families who can afford it.
>>
>>91247321
For animations art school is entirely connections. This is why CalArts pisses everyone else off because most of their successful alumni did not even graduate. Loads of them get major industry jobs by their third year and fall ass backwards into success.

It is a "who you know" industry
>>
File: 0.jpg (82KB, 634x421px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
82KB, 634x421px
>>91247472
Interesting, it reminds me of this style a little.
>>
>>91247676
>Loads of them get major industry jobs by their third year and fall ass backwards into success.
>It is a "who you know" industry
It's a little unfair. there are also case that they are that good that they end up finding a job before graduating and then the work become more important than getting a paper.
>>
>>91247676
>It is a "who you know" industry
The thing has always been a bit more subtle than peole tend to complain about.

Talented artists sometimes can spot other talented artists by looking at their work, so of course, sharing the same craft, they will seek to know them better.

When people talk about "connection" (and this is true in every field), it's not so much about safety rather than "hey, you are a competent and successful person, can you name me someone else you think is competent?"

It's about those having the money not wanting to take risk and /or wanting to know who will be the next big thing.
>>
File: IMG_0633.jpg (43KB, 350x332px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0633.jpg
43KB, 350x332px
>>91247504
Kneece was a great for story telling. I occasionally reread story just to touch up. Hell I can't remember his name but he does speed sketching and has a great drawing warm up the goes with a speed racer song.
>>
>>91232492

I went to two french schools. The first is a big institution that specializes in a lot of things, but is renowned for its 3D animated shorts. QUite frankly, their system is like a corporation of drones who backstab each other and talk shit about other students of teachers. You can spend an entire conversation listening to them badmouth people, and you can be convinced that they do the same to you once you're gone.

The second school,I went to once I finished my year at the first one, was great. Pretty small, but great teachers who cared, and I had affinities with some of them who read comics. Loved it.

>Did you learn a lot?

I actually did. Illustration is my passion, and they taught me a lot to help me develop an identity and better skills.

Generally good. At the first school they were efficient, but you could feel that they pretty much didn't care about you. Big institution, so you're almost just a number. The second school though, we had teachers only dedicated to our cursus, which was of three years, so the teachers knew us as people and better helped us. Some classic stuff like the anime hating one at the first school, or the narration teacher who drinks a lot and smells like vodka.

Do you have any stories about THAT guy that went to all your classes?

We had a guy. Generally handsome, rugged hippie look, always smoking pot and spouting stupid philosophy about the world, with little logic, and lots of misinformation. I made it a game of mine to undermine every stupid thing he said.
He wasn't half bad, but he was full of himself, and his talent and handsomeness made him popular to younger girls, while the oldest couldn't stand him.

Other than that we had the MCU fangirl who claims to love Marvel comics, but every time she tells the story of a book she claims to have read, its tumblr resumes, or the Disney fangirl who only draws like that.
>>
>>91247641
Yeah, even the teachers know it too, and once said that even the school founder thinks it's a dumb major and not a "real" degree. She likely uses the money to help pay for that castle she has in Scotland.
>>
>>91249213
paula wallace filled the library with thrown out law school textbooks to be the "have a functioning library" requirement for college accreditation, dunno if what she thinks really matters beyond dumping money into it
>>
>>91247321
>Sequential art is a waste, though. Even the teachers at SCAD say so. Anything you learn there can be taught in a Christopher Hart book.

This is making a lot of sense. I know a few webcomic artists on Twitter who graduated from SCAD studying comics and have terribly mediocre art for art school graduates. It's kind of sad, really.
>>
>>91232962

yeah this never happened but it makes for fun read
>>
>>91246204
just remember anon, art classes are very self-driven, so throw yourself into it and you'll be improving in no time! hopefully
>>
That GUY? I had that Girl. I was in animation class with this girl. She was OBSESSED with Disney. If it wasn't Disney it was trash. She tried to relate every part of her life to Disney. The best part was our animation teacher previously worked at Disney and even he was sick of her shit. Her love of Disney was easily at autismo levels. The best part was she couldn't tell when we were being sarcastic and me and some other student would shit talk about Disney while working. Like obvious not-true stuff like how Walt was Nazi and how Mexican slave children were ushered over the border into Hollywood to do in-between on movies. She's get so mad she's stomp out of lab. The best part was we could always hear our ex-Disney professor dying laughing in his office. She was 2 years ahead of me and when she graduated my professor said his greatest achievement was getting to her not draw in a bad pseudo-anime/disney style for one project. She even has her own ED page. Have fun.

https://encyclopediadramatica.rs/DisneyFan01
>>
>>91245086
How do you know?
Did you asked them?
>>
>>91249754
I remember seeing her stuff in Treasure Planet threads every once in a while. Just curious, but did she draw any John Silver crap in that class?
>>
>>91232492
Currently attending SVA. Unless you have a scholarship or are super rich, think twice about going.

I had Bob Camp (yes, the same Bob Camp who has beef with John K) as a storyboard teacher. I honestly learned more about the industry than storyboarding from him but I'd still consider his a great guy. Heres a few anecdotes from him:

>towards the end of him working on the original Ren & Stimpy he hung up a picture of John K in his office and let anyone in the production crew who was having trouble working with John come in and punch it/throw darts at it/ect.

>on one of the first weeks of class, a kid ecides to show off his sketchbook. Its literally all 7th grade tier shitty anime waifu drawings. He procedes to tell Bob Camp, who has more than 20+ years in the industry, that he knows nothing about cartoons because "Anime will always be superior to western animation". Bob Camp calmly reminds the kid after hes done screeching/sperging out about anime that at least HE can draw. Entire class is fucking shook.

>Towards the end of first semester, this kid who is literally only here because his parents are super fucking rich decides to bring up John K in class out of nowhere to push Bobs buttons. Bob half jokingly threatens to punch him in the face. Kid switches classes by the next week because hes now terrified of him.
>>
>>91249920
Oh yea, all of her animation projects related to her self-insert anime OC.
>>
>>91250047
This man sounds like a fucking blast.
>>
>>91250047
Oh, I almost forgot the best one

>my friend is in an animation class with the son of Tom Kenny. The teacher literally spent an entire lecture talking about what 'influenced' the creation of Spongebob. He was too polite to correct the teacher on the fact he was spewing absolute bullshit.

>>91250119
I have way more Bob Camp stories. I was thinking of doing a thread about it when the semester here at SVA ends.
>>
>>91249472
Yeah, my art isn't great either so I'm proof of that.
The thing with sequential art is that you don't really need to be good at drawing. Sequential art falls under "Communication Arts" meaning above all else, the things you say through your art has to be clear. From Foxtrot, or skcd or MS Paint Adventures, they're artists who aren't good at that drawing, but they still manage to entertain people all over the world and can make a living doing so. Hell, look at Rob Liefeld. Everyone in the department love ragging on him. He's self-taught and he sucks, yet he reportedly made a whole lot in the 90's and still manages to find work.
That's the bad thing about majoring in sequential art. It's a waste of money to spend trying to get a degree, when people with no degree will draw stick figures will likely make more money than you will.
>>
>>91243708
Goddamn, that's shitty.
>>
>>91249754
Holy shit, I, who dropped out of art school (NHIA) five years ago, am a better artist than this girl... and I suck!
I wish I could go to art school again, but:

>They're all too expensive; AIB was my dream school, and I had to decline before freshman year because of future $100,000+ debt.
>Got accepted to Ringling in Sarasota for Spring 2013; same problem as AIB with money, and they wanted me to repeat my sophomore year (to "catch up" with the other alumni, but I felt like it was a scam).
>Just gave up, afterward. Figured since Illustration degree isn't necessary, I don't need one.
>Five years later, been bouncing from PT shit to PT shit until I land a cushy security guard job.

Sucks being a fucking stereotype.
>>
>>91244541
>DRAW SOMETHING EVERY SINGLE DAY. IT DOESN'T MATTER IF ITS STUPID SCRIBBLES OR SOMETHING SERIOUS, HAVE A PENCIL IN YOUR HAND EVERYDAY
thats the hardest part
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R2_Mn-qRKjA
>>
File: 1491162148345.gif (1MB, 200x123px) Image search: [Google]
1491162148345.gif
1MB, 200x123px
>grew up in third world country
>knew I'd eventually move to the states since I was doing it legally, so 15 year old me makes conscious decision to basically fuck right off from high school to learn how to draw, education system basically collapsed and I'd have to take a GED test anyway
>start making a lot of art and a lot of unfinished projects, keep going and getting better at it until you know how to do traditional animation and painting and the whole business
>but your artwork consists so much of unfinished shit that's old that you can't put it in a portfolio
>family too poor to even get me through trade school, let alone art school
>neeting it up for a few months to work on finished animation projects, comissions, comics, etc to put on a portfolio so at least I can apply to the local studio

Have to teach myself how to do puppet tween animation and how to make my boards better (something I suck at since I've only ever worked solo).

I'm sure going to art school on a loan might make things a lot easier in the short term, but I think if I had tried to go to one I mightve been too sheltered to make any art worth a damn. I mean, shit, grunging around a variety of non art jobs, and I mean real bottom of the barrel shit like construction or warehouse work or call centers or what have you... as shitty, unfulfilling, and unglamorous as it is, gives you so much material to work with it isn't even funny, and you save up money instead of indepting yourself to a school that taught you shit some fucking manlet Mongoloid like me learned for free.
>>
>>91249472
>>91247321
Hopefully you choose a better source to learn from than Christopher Hart, though
>>
>>91250842
why?
>>
>>91250941
because he's a bad artist.
you might as well pick of one of those How To Draw Manga books for middle-schoolers while you're at it.
>>
>>91250842
>>91250941
>>91251095

I feel like Christopher Hart books are... eh.

The best way I can describe it are like the old Nintendo Power magazines from the golden age. If you flip through them, you *probably* will find some really good tips scattered among them for the game you're playing, but it still rests on you to follow through. There are much, much better books out there, of course.

(But collectively, the only one that's really worth a damn is the Simplified Anatomy for the Comic Artist book. While trying to ape the Bruce Timm DC style, it DOES, perhaps accidentally, have moderately decent ways to look at different and distinct body shapes, especially for beginners. But don't expect it to have life changing answers for your comic style.)
>>
File: 50449.gif (1MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
50449.gif
1MB, 480x360px
Art school was just a special club where only the brown-nosers and pretty girls got ahead.
>>
File: image.jpg (106KB, 640x270px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
106KB, 640x270px
>>
>>91247606
Look fag, you either do something with your life or you just become a worthless NEET until the end of your days, so which one is it?
>>
File: 1484782350861.gif (36KB, 200x146px) Image search: [Google]
1484782350861.gif
36KB, 200x146px
>>91252218
>>
In SCAD in animation and there is this guy, he looks like a weird mix of fucking psycho and sloppy heroin addict. And he is always in EVERY ONE OF MY CLASSES because of the tiny amount of animation students so we always share every class together. And if that is not enough, he disrupts everything in the room with nonstop jokes and quips each time anybody else in the room tries to hold a conversation...across the fucking room. I fucking hate this guy. Nonstop jokes at the professor, just an all around smartass.

Only consolation I have is knowing full well he will never ever have a job in the industry because he just pisses everyone off at the same time. No one will hire that disgusting fuck.
>>
>>91235796

Have you seen Art Schools lately?
>>
File: cartoonallies.jpg (227KB, 742x960px) Image search: [Google]
cartoonallies.jpg
227KB, 742x960px
>>91232492
attending sva right now, computer art(3d animation )major. As far as I can tell about sva. animation majors are treated like the plague for how weird , tumblry, sjw, anti social, dyed hair unfriendly freaks they are. I've never said anything bad about them in person but you look at the work they produce its Steven universe, furry and deviant art tier stuff.There are some genuinely talented nice people trying but they're few and far between. Everyone outside the major is laughing at them. I've overheard multiple conversations of different students who have dorm mates with them and seen their work posted on class Facebook groups. That being said you could do worse you could be a fine arts major.
>>
>>91232492
I was "that guy."
>Got by in high school not doing much studying or work outside what was expressly assigned
>Stupidly thought that shit would fly in college
>Also, coming from a science/tech program in high school
>Also, a furry
>Turned in tons of work based on vague story concepts (invariably starring some type of wolf man); got decent grades but I'm assuming people caught on to my degeneracy and lack of prospects because by the end I had no friends
As for the school itself: oh, boy. I'm not really sure where to begin. The department I was in was going through a MAJOR upheaval, basically having not evolved with the industries students were aiming to be a part of, with almost no experienced instruction (the guy who taught animation couldn't draw, the guy who taught 3D modeling didn't know the software, etc.) and with the department head on her way out. No one told me this when I signed up, and I ignored the advice from the design and sculpture heads to switch to their majors(because I wanted to make VIDYA GAMES). The foundation courses focused too much on theory and concept and not enough on technique and construction, so people came out knowing how to talk their way around some very technically-shoddy work. In several classes, everyone dragged their feet and the syllabus was never completed (everyone still got good grades).

It was all exacerbated by our being in a kind of bubble. We rarely had transfers or visits from outside companies, so no one really knew how bad things were. The students were clueless and the professors kept quiet because they were hanging on to their positions for dear life. We had course schemes instead of requirements, which, along with scheduling, made deviation into other departments (where we would have seen how woefully we were being prepared) difficult.
>>
>>91253981
In the end, I'm torn because I was absolutely naive, arrogant, unfocused, incurious, and not passionate enough about grinding myself into a decent worker and artist. But no one else came out of that program with anything to show, either, so I'm not sure if even me at my best would have made it salvageable.
>>
Is th e art institute worth going?
>>
>>91247752
Yeah, I copied the style from a friend, who tells me he learned to paint from Youtube.
>>
>>91254244
If you mean the for-profit colleges definitely no.
>>
>>91234125
>It's probably a relief for the parents that their kids can actually go to a school (a low risk 'creative' environment that's not as stressful or complicated as perhaps a science major)
This is dumb. The best thing for these kinds of people is the structure of, "This is right and this is wrong," that STEM majors provide. Too much of the rest of your life bleeds into art and you end up with a weird work/play gestalt where the guy/gal never knows when to turn off. Which isn't to say that normal artists don't understand and keep those barriers. But if you're shit at recognizing the barriers to begin with...

>>91243637
I keep getting hounded by family to go to RISD for grad school and all I can think about is how much I don't want to do that. I need to get the hell out of this state. I truly think there's something in the soil/air/water that makes people here just kind of... off.
>>
I'm about to go to calarts. Just got accepted

For film though, not animation.
>>
People's stories about their college experiences are always so ass backwards from what my college was like that it's shocking. We're all just dudes who draw cartoons and joke around and watch movies. The faculty are nice and knowledgeable and encourage everyone to grow and develop their style, whatever it may be. Some of the weekly lectures are useless, but every now and then people from the industry will drop in and talk for two hours about the workforce and check out our demo reels and portfolios. What fuckin schools are you people going to?
>>
>>91239164
>knowing how to watercolor well always helps
Welp I'm fucked then, cause I'm ass at watercolors but good with digital.

T-shirts and albums almost sounds in the realm of graphic design as well.
>>
>>91232492
It's really not that great.
Don't be an idiot. You can draw without a degree.
>>
I'm finishing up my third year in a four year fine arts program and so far I have mixed feelings. I like that I'm learning new skills to make art but I have no idea about how to make a real career out of it. Our profs keep saying "Submit stuff to this show cause it'll look good on your CV (artist resume)" but we have no classes whatsoever on how to go about preparing your career as an artist or knowing how to make a CV because it isn't just like a resume. Making your CV is something you gotta learn to do on your which makes no sense as most people who join are fresh out of highschool and don't know this stuff. Instead you gotta do the masters program to even begin to learn that shit which again is fucking retarded. So basically they've just been building you up for the last four years just to go off to another school for two years to get your masters and actually learn something useful for getting a job.
>>
>>91244020
>>91243943
>Muh safe space
I don't understand what's so difficult about being decent to one another. You sound like a dildo and a bad leader. The right thing to do would have been to have the girls and the dude hash it out, but you immediately took his side.

You realize that not taking these kinds of things seriously will just make the backlash worse in the future?
>>
>>91254244
I once visited one of these, it was also in Atlanta not too far from the SCAD campus. And I was amazed to learn that both schools cost almost the same. It was just a couple thousand more to go to SCAD than Art Institute of Atlanta. And it is was also an accredited school on top of the cost. So coming out you would still not be considered to be college educated
>>
>>91235243
Would you recommend SCAD? Because my parents either can't or refuse to help pay out of state, I'm stuck in a community college trying to get my grades up for Cincinnati since they don't take portfolios...
>>
File: 1490935767646.jpg (25KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1490935767646.jpg
25KB, 720x960px
GO TO TRADE SCHOOL
GET A REAL JOB
DO ART AS A HOBBY

YOU STUPID GOYIM
>>
>>91254396
How much is the application fee?

I am genuinely curious how I would fare if I would attempt to apply with a portfolio.

I'm in school now but I am curious enough to blow the hundred or so to satisfy that need.
>>
>>91247212
>Jews
WASPs.
>>
>>91254541
I had a single class like this at SCAD, it was fucking amazing.

We mostly watched loony tunes shorts, but the professor would go over what worked in it.
>>
File: 1488984522586.jpg (146KB, 598x506px) Image search: [Google]
1488984522586.jpg
146KB, 598x506px
>People still pay to go to (((college))) to learn art
>People still don't realize the Internet has made school almost completely obsolete
>People don't have the discipline to just teach themselves
>>
>>91254661
it is easy enough to grab cholarships for it, and Savannah is insanely cheap to live in. But the town is a mostly run down hellhole. I preferred Atlanta but get used to 1K-1400 rent to live locally. Still cheaper than living in a SCAD dorm.
>>
File: 1491258613976.jpg (137KB, 722x768px) Image search: [Google]
1491258613976.jpg
137KB, 722x768px
>>91254740
Millenials, man.
>>
>>91254701
$70~.

But it's an expensive school once you get past that bump
>>
>>91236074
Fucking love stories like this. Any more stories or details about him? I need to know everything.
>>
>>91254541
Which one are YOU going to? I'd like to know which school has it that good.
>>
I don't want to go to art college I. I want to know how to get into the business of animation. Who to hire, how to manage, how to make a good product, how to get publicity, etc.

I don't want to be a low wage animator working for others.
>>
File: 1489587350170.gif (2MB, 335x237px) Image search: [Google]
1489587350170.gif
2MB, 335x237px
>all these SVA and SCAD losers

Gobelins master race here, enjoy making low budget baby shows for peanuts while us real animators and artists make shows for, you know, adults with taste
>>
Whats the most prestigious Art School when it comes to the Comics and Animation industry?
>>
>>91255124
Put together one of those Animate! projects. Like the Sailor Moon ones. You'll probably have to contribute work of your own, so hup to it.
>>
>>91255124
If you're starting from scratch you're pretty much going to have to take out bank loans to start a company, get a lot of legal people and agents, and start hiring locally. You'll likely work funding advertisement material unless you take a financial risk to get a movie out, or somehow get in contact with some other middlemen to get stuff on tv. You'll probably just work as the backup animation crew for some american show, or end up supervising foreign studios. Which, by the way, are kind of imploding since south Korea and India are in turnoil, it's moving to Thailand.
>>
>>91246782
Fucking based John Lowe. Only professor I really loved. Will say shit how it is and won't hold back. And genuinely wants his students to improve.
>>
>>91248168
Kneece helped me with understanding story structure. Super nice guy. Wish him the best.
>>
>>91254661
No. almost all of my friends never found work after graduating no matter the department. Unless you're the fucking best, just learn from home and devote time to just practicing and stick to that schedule. Might take longer, but at least you didn't feel you wasted so much time and money.
>>
>>91254727
Was it Ray Goto's class?
>>
File: 13 year olds.png (514KB, 573x481px) Image search: [Google]
13 year olds.png
514KB, 573x481px
last year in Art highschool in the middle of bleeding heart liberal New York City,, am looking to go to an acedamia college

We basically have 2 periods of your major, plus some art history and technology in between the years. Animation major is basically regarded as a joke, but they still have some prestigousness to them. Like literally all the autistic kids went to animation. I took Cartooning instead of Illustration, only because I still do in the future wanna try to make something of myself. I did make a name for myself relatively though, made some stickers for a festival like a year ago. My teachers asked me if I wanted some reccomendations to some studios who could hire me, but I want to get my Degree first

Theres a really cute based Russian chick who got me all lovey dovey for the past 3 years, I've tried making some moves, but dont discount me, I will try to get some of that.

Most of you should do Art as a hobby first, work on your """backup"" plan of getting an *actual* job first. If you decide to waste mommy and daddies hard earned funds on art college though, try to make as many connections as possible.
>>
>>91254809
>that picture describes how I walk half the time
Fucking end me
>>
>>91254809

How old are you? Just wondering.
>>
>>91255066
Sheridan
>>
Any good film school around the globe?
>>
File: 1489578145991.png (446KB, 840x824px) Image search: [Google]
1489578145991.png
446KB, 840x824px
>>91255637
>half

You're not kidding anyone here, anon.
>>
File: 104.gif (11KB, 220x220px) Image search: [Google]
104.gif
11KB, 220x220px
>>91255161
..that will never be seen by anyone outside of an art fag festival by people who do not care.

meanwhile Steven Universe will continue getting worse in art direction but still be the #1 series in your country
>>
>>91255460
Jan Carlee's calss
>>
>>91252287
Current SCAD animation major too. I think I know who you're talking about. Tall skinny guy with a stutter and a Disney obsession?

>>91255460
Not that anon, but I fucking love Goto. I had his character design class last year and it was fantastic, best 8am I've had at SCAD period.
>>
>>91247606
Anyone can git gud with the proper time and effort.
>>
>>91255637
This picture vaguely describes a lot of general traits that apply to a wide variety of people. You pick out a third of them and ignore the rest.
>>
>>91255161
Gobelins master race, can confirm
>>
>>91232492
i took art 1 and it was fun as fuck. walk into the classroom on the first day and everyone got a piece of chalk. "you have 45 min to make art, get going." just fun as hell where each week we used a different kind of material to draw with from rocks to oreos
>>
>>91243708
Not the anon that asked, but that really doesn't sound a bit different from what I grew up with in lower shit end of South Carolina.
Glad to know I'll be at home there if I go.
>>
File: 1491183139638.png (27KB, 122x142px) Image search: [Google]
1491183139638.png
27KB, 122x142px
>>91257230
>Just draw anything for 45 minutes
>rocks and oreos

What kind of ghetto school you going to.
>>
>>91254740
You'd think that, but sadly companies still don't care how much you actually know until you have a piece of paper or recommendation to prove it.
>>
>>91257411
Savannah is literally just across the SC border. The freshman can look out there dorm windows and see SC. So yeah, weather and whatnot should be familiar.
>>
>>91257411
It basically is lower south carolina,
>>
>>91241942
a dude at my school was like fucking 63. He was retired but basically just wanted to learn something that would keep him busy. There shouldn't be an age limit. Schools will take your money no matter who you are.
>>
>>91245158
>That, and my roommate stopped going to pretty much all of his classes so he could sleep all day and play LoL all night.

This I'll never understand. Are you going to school in burgerland where tuition is like 100k for four years? How can you just piss away all that money?
>>
>>91250047
>Bob Camp calmly reminds the kid after hes done screeching/sperging out about anime that at least HE can draw. Entire class is fucking shook.

What a fucking legend. Teachers at my school were so terrified of putting down student work they'd only ever find good things to say about it. Even if it was clearly garbage, you'd get shit praise like "creative" or "ambitious". Fuck that. If it's garbage say it's garbage or these kids will never improve. It's also bullshit to see your own hard work get the same amount of praise as the kid that messily fingerpainted his pokemon OCs for his assignment.
>>
>>91250941

Chris Hart doesn't illustrate many of the books credited to him. He hires fan artists he finds online to do the bulk of the drawings, then tries to reverse-engineer them in his explanations. He's basically the print version of DragoArts, or certain hacks on /ic/ who would redline other people but can't use the same process to create their own drawing from the ground up.
>>
>>91232492
Not sure if it counts, but I dated a sonic autist who currently attends SCAD.
It wasn't apparent at first. Something should have tipped me off about her putting simple plan on her sex playlist.
She eventually worked sonic music into that too.
Months after she moved in with me.
She even has sonic in her entry portfolio and showreel.

Snuck me into a few classes and my first impressions were not good.

>two assignments a week, some with due dates weeks in advance.
>drawing 2 class has maybe 15 students.
>Teacher spends 15 minutes explaining perspective grids and tells them to wander around campus and draw literally any room from any angle.
>An hour passes, everyone has been dicking around in the library and two people have something vaguely presentable.
>One kid repeatedly called cross-hatching "the tape thing"
>Teacher asks "I'm... Not seeing the vanishing point."
>Girl points to the giant black pastel rectangle she's angrily etched into the center of a small square of newsprint. "It's in the darkness."
>>
>>91257668
>>91257705
Lower SC is exactly where I live, It's why I've looking at SCAD, and the shitty 'bad neighborhood' side that throws students is exactly the same ghettos I grew up and went to school around.
SCAD already sounds like home.
>>
>>91237182

>Atlantic

Ay dios mio, the stories I've heard of that place. Autists running like sanic on the hallways, one guy who smelled like human garbage that used to stay late in the libraries grading sonic OCs. All the nerds that white knighted and wanted to fuck the cute girls.

Ley Marie es senda puta

>>91238007

iirc that was the place all the unique arty hipster trash went right?
>>
File: moomin_1.jpg (92KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
moomin_1.jpg
92KB, 1024x1024px
>>91232492
I just got kicked out from engineering school for failing math and physics a lot.
I've always wanted to do something art-related with my life. Should I try to get an art diploma? Is it possible to get one, get a job and not starve in 2017 if I don't ultimately suck at it?
Besides killing myself, what should I do?
>>
>>91260515
Your description reminds me of my first year at Sheridan so much.

Usually by semester 2 all the people there just to dick around drop out or switch degrees though.
>>
>>91235243
Fun fact, SEQA is no longer taught in Norris.

RIP pepto bismol palace.

Also the parking in SAV has kept getting worse.
>>
>>91232962
>The teacher didn't speak to him once since that day.

He is a /co/ fag. He is smart enough to not spout meme shit outside the internet.
>>
>>91241942

for hobby or to get a job?

self taught, anon. Read free info on the internet and practice, PRACTICE. Make portfolia in sites like deviantart, tumblr, youtube (for animation), etc.

When you are good enough, pay for shit that will make you better and what you do (online courses, books, videos).
>>
>>91241942

dude, I am 32 and I am learning programming. You can do it, BUT FUCKING DO IT.
>>
>>91254666
Satan is a jew, confirmed
but (you) knew that already, didn't you?
>>
File: IMG_0775.jpg (114KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0775.jpg
114KB, 900x900px
guys, im senior in highschool (not underage) and i need genuine advice. im considering getting a bachelors degree in conputer science... or fulfill my passion for art. thing is, ive heard all the horror stories about how artists hardly make enough money to scrape by. what the fuck do i do? this is making me anxious 24/7. should i just get CS degree and do art commissions on the side for extra money? i just need reassurance and advice pls
>>
>>91263657
I would start with CS; if you hate it, switch. You can always minor.

OR

Start with whatever you're shittiest at and wouldn't do very well at without instruction.
>>
>>91261526
Do graphic design if you must.
>>
File: IMG_1487.jpg (90KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1487.jpg
90KB, 900x675px
>actually go to art school
>expect to be subjected to /ic/ horror stories of
>the art teacher is actually pretty cool
>he is actually pic related except 40-50 years older
>he is the only figure drawing teacher on campus
>comes from a family of artists
>draws his lessons out of Andrew Loomis, Henry Yan, Robert Barrett, and Zimou Tan
>git gud twice as fast than expected

living the life but i still need to get better, he gave me a B+ for the final and said I need to rework my entire portfolio

specifically he told me to work on my core/cast shadow & line value

11/10 will take the class again
>>
>>91263816
What school
>>
>>91263816
Man my school does not give a shit about teaching anything to do with drawing. First year we learnt some basic stuff involving perspective and proportion, but after that we were shown little to nothing. After first year we had "drawing in the expanded field" which started out as learning more stuff for drawing such as landscapes and figure drawing but the main projects were basically do whatever you want because "drawing in the expanded field" translates to anything is drawing including performance. Basically none of the profs give a shit about wanting to teach traditional drawings and more students love that because "they can't draw." I won't say I'm great at making a realistic drawing, but the fundamentals are still good to know and will still help in the long run. I personally love doing blind contours and then shade it in to make a weird looking person.
>>
>>91237883
You at SCAD cause I'm at SCAD for Video game Production and Design.
>>
>>91256457
>>91255460
Goto and Carlee are both great professors, really made it feel like i wasnt wasting my time and money being there
>>
>>91264049
>>91263816
man it just seems like some schools are great or just suck
>>
>>91263719
ive been drawing for a good 3-4 years now, but i havent even started learning a programming language. im gonna have to schedule wisely if i plan on 1 going to school 2 having a job 3 practicing art 4 learning a programming language... :/ shit.. i like the idea of going to a college for art because i can work at home and at school on something i actually enjoy, and thats just one thing i need to grind, so i wouldnt need to worry about programming ever again. still worried about money issues tho
>>
>>91250816
Try getting an apprenticeship in something. Anything. Could be art related, or not.

Get something to occupy yourself so that you don't go insane only doing art.
>>
>>91263657
If you git gud with ok connections, you'll be doing around 50k entry level in the animation/video game industry. If you minmax your time and connections, you could legit be pushing 6 figures at a higher prestige studio, depending on what the job is. The jobs are all a little tougher now than they were 10 years ago, with digital techniques streamlining yet paradoxically creating more demanding schedules.

Most of the better paying jobs come with the trade off of not having time for personal work due to encroaching overtime. Also, if you don't work in the states/work in a smaller studio, be prepared to not have healthcare/benefits, and probably enforced OT. I can't imagine having a family in today's industry, unless you work at a bigger movie studio, or have a steady freelance income.

A lot of it is being honest, like, really honest, with your own skill level. You know all those super duper awesome crazy artists on tumblr who are like, 21? That's pretty much the standard that you'll eventually need to reach, or at least be willing to develop towards, to even be considered for the better drawing jobs. Same thing for the computer related jobs. 3D animation, modelling, lighting, etc. Imagine your stuff on TV. If you as an average viewer could look at it and think that it looks kinda bad, then you just might need to work harder. Don't worry, working harder is how everyone else did it too. Those special tumblr artists just started younger. Honestly, that's it.

Even those people who have really unique and impressive styles? If they had to, they could render a realistic human body and paint a bowl of pomegranates. Basic draftsmanship is literally universal, and it's the primary requirement for drawing jobs.
>>
>>91233331
Go to a film school that's divided by about 75% film and 25% animation students. 2 male and 5 females, me and the other guy are at least straight (I'm kinda bi), and every single female is at least bi, most of them are sjw-tier too. It fuckin sucks that the industry mostly consists of this mentality because at least in my class, the more and more "inclusive" a person says they are, the more they blame their artistic flaws on others rather than ourselves. Like I have a problem with exaggeration, I never push myself hard enough. Is that my teacher's fault for imposing on me? Or that the industry doesn't cater to my every whim? Or that I'm an abnormal sexuality and that's a crutch because of muh soggy knees? Or maybe, just fucking maybe, it's none of those and I just don't push myself enough.
>>
File: 1490906458396.gif (470KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1490906458396.gif
470KB, 200x200px
>go to art school
>TONS of ugly, fat people
>all of them look like drug addicts or hipster trash
>Most girls are feminists or don't talk at all
>that one guy everyone thought was going to shoot up the school
>Asian girls are into yaoi and f/a/gnime shit
>everyone's back story: I want to animated for gibbli or Disney :3
>nearly blow my brains out after hearing them talk about what anime yaoi ship is the best
>that one over confident student that turns in trash
>mfw no sluts or hot thots
literally had to go across town to the local Uni and pick up whores.
>>
>>91264028

Its a Mormon school's art department. Great teachers and education, but that alone would probably be a big turn off for most.

>>91264049
>>91264501

That's the problem with the art education. Many care about getting paid than care about the futures of students. But good teachers are out there, either learn online via courses or read books.
>>
>>91247752
you can spot a hitler drawing from miles away. it's always the shitty perspective on buildings
>>
>>91237459
Get back to your hole and stay away from York. We all should stay away from York.
>>
>>91254635
>I don't understand what's so difficult about being decent to one another.
A big part of "being decent" is also not getting immediately enraged at people for being clumsy at with jokes, though. He sounds like an okay leader to me
>>
>>91239710
Dave, you really had to set that one up, eh?
>>
I attended UAFS. It's a regular university but it had studio art, graphic design, and animation departments. The animation department was apparently shit, when the studio art and design departments got a brand new building a few years ago the animation people were bummed they didn't have access and the media comms people wanted in on it too but their department heads were either lazy or incompetent, and wouldn't get the funding to expand their department or even buy newer equipment.

I majored in graphic design, and until recently the head of the entire arts department is the father in law of Brad Neely who studied there for a while. He kept a signed sketch of Baby Cakes in his office, and Brad gave a talk at the school once. Pretty chill guy.

I did have a That Guy in class but he may actually post here too so I'm not going to get into any specifics about him because he's an okay guy, he just had some extremely bizarre and annoying habits.

Most of my professors were excellent, except for this one who mostly did letterpress, bookmaking, other print media classes, and then the senior portfolio. It was a nightmare in her classes since she'd either not be there half the time, throw out bullshit assignments and then change the parameters just before grading, or any other number of random cancer. She failed out a senior recently for "plagiarism" since one piece she did in like an 80 page book of ads for a social campaign was somewhat similar to a 1960s ad the professor happened to be familiar with. It was the student's penultimate semester and she has to wait an entire extra year to graduate to retake that class, it was super shitty. Especially since that was one of the first pieces she'd shown in class at the beginning of the semester, and the professor knew it for four months but only got onto her about an hour before the portfolio show during finals.
>>
>>91265529
May I ask where you go anon?
>>
File: Columbia_College_Chicago.jpg (36KB, 583x220px) Image search: [Google]
Columbia_College_Chicago.jpg
36KB, 583x220px
AVOID AT ALL COSTS
>>
>>91246813
It's because the fucking business class chinese keep fucking paying people to write all their kid's work and then push them through school and then send them back having learned nothing. I hope their fucking country liquifys. Also just make a flash portfolio and work for one of our homeland's great FreshTv flash sweatshops. You will be loved in Australia!
>>
>>91232492
Going to Ringling.

School isn't bad but it isn't great and despite being one of the most expensive schools out there, a good majority of the students don't accomplish anything. There aren't really any weeaboo artists because if you do that, you fail out freshman year It has Visual Development classes, but everyone who goes into that field usually accomplishes absolute shit and wasted 4 years and 240k because the school doesn't know how to teach that shit and all the professors have very outdated information.

Computer Animation:
You won't storyboard, this program is made to churn out workslaves for the animation industry who do all the technical aspects and none of the creative aspects. They have a tendency to hire Professional Painters, such as Dominic Avant and James Martin, simply because they worked at Disney, but instead of having them teach what it is that they actually do, they instead try and teach Maya and shit that they really don't understand. Places no real emphasis on Animation outside of Sophomore Year, but then students are expected to make a Thesis Film in their Senior Year.

Illustration:
Fantastic painters such as Brooke Olivares, Hodges Soileau, Comic Artists such as George Pratt or Gary Barker and then Editorial Artists such as Mike Hodges all teach here. Problem is, most of the students outright do not care and it shows, but the school is afraid to fail anyone so they are told their work is fantastic despite being garbage. The school also doesn't really have any scouters or job listings for illustration students so even those who actually do try and get good are left to fend for themselves without any real connections other than the professors who go here. Students are expected to make a book in their senior year, and are told outdated information about how to get a job, such as "send a postcard to Art Directors!"

At least you get a free macbook and access to gigantic cintiq labs for 2 of the 4 years you go here.
>>
>>91241942
I'm so done with college after I get my degree, gonna just learn what I want on my own. Fuck that jazz
>>
>>91233298
Oh he was an abstract art fag.

The kind that needs a 10 minute long video of him standing in the woods looking thoughtful to explain his animation before it starts, or no one will know what the fuck it is kind of guy?
>>
>>91266666
Rhode Island School of Design, senpai. A California 5 is a Rhode Island 10
>>
>>91241942
you're too old for anything now.
give up.
>>
>Go to a community college for a few years
>There are always at least 3 of 'that guy' in a class
>Some squeaky voiced weeb would always poor out a fuck ton of oil paint, brush on three strokes, and then spend the rest of class writing her One Piece fanfiction
>Different weeb girl walked around with a small group of male followers and would talk about how gay Jojo was
>Ended up being a TA
>They hired me mostly to deal with someone akin to Randy from My Name is Earl
>He got mad if you didn't stand there and tell him exactly what to do
>Different student clearly hated the concept of having to do a single thing in the class
>Her class portfolio was completely pixelated because she has no understanding of ppi
>She plans to go to Full Sail to be an animator
>Relief when I was liberated from that cesspit

>>91239754
Build up a decent savings, get as many scholarships and loans as possible, learn to survive on $20 in your bank account.
>>
>>91242213
In that art college there was (or are, I don't know what is going on nowadays) a bunch of professors and student who were you can say anti-commercial, anti-mainstream. They would just read a bunch of essays and manifestos, and then make some weird looking shit that supposedly has some deep intricate meaning (usually some social critic or statement). Their work would look so fucking abstract that it was almost impossible to know there was some meaning at all behind it; if it didn't look abstract then it was that the artwork was so full of symbolism that you need a manual. Or both, it was weird looking and full of symbolism, if you didn't know or talk to the artist you would not know what was going on with their artwork. Some of them would complain about the masses being too uneducated to understand the "important" message in their work. What really annoy me the most was that they thought they were so superior to other artists making comercial work, just because their work had so much "content and meaning" and thought they were delivering an important message to the people. Worst of all (for me at least) they really look down on artisans (google "artesanos puertorriqeƱos"), artisans are like a national pride in Puerto Rico and a big part of our culture, and they look at them like they were trash (that actually surprised me)
>>
I always wanted to go to an art school. I always wanted to draw fantasy landscapes and portraits like you see on old 90s sci fi and fantasy like the ultima box covers, however i just cannot for the life of me draw or paint anything. Everything i draw looks like a step up from stick figures. I dont think i will ever live my dream, so I'm making plans to work at a used car dealership.

If you even have a shred of talent, do something with it, or you will end up like me, a sad 20 year old who lost their dream.
>>
>>91254809
>running shoes are bad
>walking fast is bad
>not bumping into people/not forcing your way through traffic is bad

Yes, let me wear my classy, uncomfortable but fashionable shoes, waste time taking a slow walk in the middle of the fucking city instead of a park or something and let me bump into people passing through to assert my superiority over them.

Who the fuck came up with this meme, really.
>>
File: 1489979938046.jpg (80KB, 800x733px) Image search: [Google]
1489979938046.jpg
80KB, 800x733px
>>91244541
>Buying books and/or using PDFs
Support your local library NOW!
>>
>>91232962
Was your teacher john K?
>>
File: Blue-Tit-C.jpg (74KB, 721x590px) Image search: [Google]
Blue-Tit-C.jpg
74KB, 721x590px
>>91249774
i didn't ask them directly i just ask the weeaboo one ,,what yuri means " and after she says wat it means she tells me and the group how weird and unnatural this is followed nigger one saying "imagin how gross can it be to lick someone's puss" and the hot topic one " imagine how awkward it can be ,which one is going to propose and how expensive will be the wedding because you need to buy 2 dresses not one" followed by the curly big boobs saying " I feel sorry for the children that are in that kind of family i think they are the scapegoat of ther class"

plus pretty much every girl in the classroom has a bf except for the ugly orthodox extremist nerd one( because she waits until marriage) and me (because i'm too autistic)

the only ones that behave a bit lesbi are the 2 strong makeup blondes and they doing it for LOL's and male's attention
>>
Are any schools in Britain any good more specifically for animation.
>>
>>91233331
If you take art classes anywhere but an actual art school then 95% of all classes are girls, 1 in 3 of those girls is actually majoring in art or design, and the rest are either in a sorority or, if you're in a small college town in a rual area, really into horseback riding.
>>
File: IMG_20170404_164727.jpg (781KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170404_164727.jpg
781KB, 2048x1536px
>>91269283
or steal it
>>
>>91270167
Please don't make angry. You won't like me when I'm angry.
>>
File: IMG_20170404_170543.jpg (4MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170404_170543.jpg
4MB, 4608x3456px
>>91270225
Ok
>>
File: image.png (4KB, 81x46px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
4KB, 81x46px
>>91270352
>>
File: IMG_20170404_172700.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170404_172700.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>91270443
what this a png for ants
>>
File: image.jpg (911B, 30x25px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
911B, 30x25px
>>91270670
Put that book back where it came from and go to the goddamn library!
>>
>>91254809
bait pic created to generate shitstorm
>>
SCAD fag here,

We have a decent seqa department - though shit-tier tumblrinas got motherfucking Mark Nelson fired.

Legit one of the best illustrators I've met and a truly wonderful teacher.

Those dickheads would rather get As for mediocrity rather than truly learn from a master.

I'm grateful I got at least one class with the guy. He's extremely thoughtful in his critiques and gives blunt truths about the industry.

SJWs and egotistical neck beards legit chase all the talent away from the department.

What's so ironic is that I got fun of for being a Neck beard, when I actually had a beard. Like legit a stereotypical beanie, fedora wearing faggot makes the joke.

I wish I could see him in Haymans and rock his jaw.

BTW my favorite excuse for bad art: "but it's Muh Muh sty-style!"
>>
>>91239710
Hey, I really enjoy yo- I mean, Technical Dave's videos.

Thanks for making me get over feeling like I'd missed something not going to art school, very happy to be an autodidact at this point.
>>
>>91242946
>but I'll be 29 in a few days and feel like it's too late
Why does everyone think this way? Yall dumb as shit I swear.
>>
>>91267105
I feel sorry for you RISD kids then. SVA has all types of mad pussy. Then again, you may just be a aspie who doesn't know how to talk to a woman
>>
>>91254740
>People don't have the discipline to just teach themselves
Blame the public school system and the dumb ass parents that send their children there.
>>
>>91233882
Game design is a joke and the fact that you struggled with it is embarrassing
Did they teach you to code at all?
I went to a demostration of the projects done by different animation classes at an art school Tha honestly would put newgrounds crap to shame, bug name place too I was shocked
Worst was the 3d animation, I model better shit and I never got any lessons
>>
>>91234125
Doesn't Chris chan have a degree?
>>
>>91247504
>>91248168
Oh god i never knew the people teaching in these schools were actual professionals, i thought they were just randies like in my uni
Thread posts: 290
Thread images: 43

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.