[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /co/, could you recommend some good comics about warfare?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: _74510842_charleysginger.jpg (84KB, 660x371px) Image search: [Google]
_74510842_charleysginger.jpg
84KB, 660x371px
Hey, /co/, could you recommend some good comics about warfare?
>>
I may not be much but I'm interested.
>>
>>91193304
Anything by Garth Ennis is usually top notch

Battlefields and his Enemy Ace mini are my favs
>>
>>91193304
Sgt. Rock: Between Hell and a Hard Place was really good
>>
Old-school Sgt. Rock is a lot of fun, too. DC has some nice collected editions of the Kanigher/Kubert stuff. Not sure if their Enemy Ace stuff got the same treatment, but if so, it's worth checking out as well.
>>
The nam.
>>
DMZ (Fuckin' great, but more about life in a war zone than the war itself)

The Other Side (Jason Aaron's serious, sad, well-researched Vietnam book is what put him on the map)

Vertigo's Unknown Soldier reboot (weird and depressing, but nearly great)

Ennis's MAX comics-- Punisher: Born and Fury: My War Gone By (not the original Ennis MAX Fury)
>>
>>91195238
>original Ennis MAX Fury
God, that never gets brought up at all. I was almost convinced that it never existed and I just imagined the whole thing.
>>
>>91195339
Marvel wishes you didn't remember. MAX had a difficult birth...Stan Lee was pretty vocal about how he didn't like what they were doing with his characters, and it wasn't until they decided to definitively divorce MAX from continuity (including from other MAX series) that things started improving. Also, while Fury was okay, early MAX boasted some of the worst comics published in the last few centuries. Rawhide Kid was pure cringe, and who could forget the glory of WAR MACHINE V2?
>>
>>91195404
Oh Christ, I forgot that WAR MACHINE V2 was MAX. Probably more accurate to say I willed myself to forget.
>>
>>91193304
Harlem Hellfighters is pretty good. It's written by Max Brooks
>>
File: 1372737069865.jpg (90KB, 679x657px) Image search: [Google]
1372737069865.jpg
90KB, 679x657px
>>91195404
>WAR MACHINE V2
good christ i nearly forgot about it, fuck's sake man
>>
>ctrl+f
>"Uber"
>no results

The fuck? I thought I was on /co/
>>
>>91195059
Enemy Ace has some Archives and Showcase books at the very least.

>>91195558
"Nazi superheroes" is less of a war comic than Haunted Tank or The War That Time Forgot
>>
>>91195765
It is unquestionably a "comic about warfare", which is what OP asked for
>>
Ernie Pike
>>
Corpse on the Imjin is a great collection of EC Comics war stories.
Vertigo's Haunted Tank was great, it's like if Generation Kill had the ghost of a Confederate solider.
>>
C'était la guerre des tranchées by Tardi
>>
Blazing Combat
Commando
The 'Nam
Two-Fisted War Tales
>>
>>91193304
Charlie's War

Goddamn This War! (By Tardi)

And I'd have to think on any more...but those're all WW1 centric
>>
The Bluecoats
>>
File: IMG_5836.jpg (214KB, 600x931px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5836.jpg
214KB, 600x931px
Does anyone have any of these?

Reading the book right now, it's pretty kickass
>>
>>91196581
this looks awesome
>>
>>91193304
I read Charley's War in the JDM reprints recently and honestly it's so good. It sets you up with that intro like "Oh you think you're reading a Boy's Own War comic?" and it *does* have a lot of that but fuck when it goes brutal it really goes. The gas attacks are horrifying, and the whole extended deserter arc is superb in giving you a different kind of cast and its resolution with an injured veteran still perpetuating the regulations he knows to be harmful. And then the deserter goes back, fuck. What really works for it as well is that you can read it as a child and again as an adult and get different things from it.

Pat Mills might not score with every single piece of work, but damn he is a Good Writer with all sorts of different material.
>>
>>91196611
Pat Mills gets a get out of jail free card for the rest of his life for the goodness that was Marshal Law
>>
File: Blazing Combat 01.jpg (49KB, 359x555px) Image search: [Google]
Blazing Combat 01.jpg
49KB, 359x555px
Blazing Combat
The 'Nam
Ennis' Battlefields and War Story (especially the Vertigo run)
Enemy Ace: War Idyll (and Enemy Ace in general)

>>91196581
Stick around.
>>
>>91196581
Here you go, man: https://www.mediafire.com/?om9r2ca3hgpo28o
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.