/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How the fuck are there airbenders?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 207
Thread images: 18

File: download (1).jpg (218KB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
download (1).jpg
218KB, 1366x768px
I finally watched all of Korra after all these years trying to avoid it after seeing the trainwreck of the first season. And out of all the weird decisions, the romantic subplots, the retconning, the poor writing, out of all of that, the one thing I can't fathom any way logically no matter how much mental gymnastics I try is the new Air Nation.

>Beginnings retconned all bending to be sourced from those who obtained power of the elements from the lionturtles and their genetic descendants

>Harmonic Convergence happens and suddenly a lot of people are given the power of a particular Lionturtle for absolutely no reason

How is this never explained? Harmonic convergence is about the aligning of the planets and the spiritual dual between light and dark. How does that have anything to do with the Earthbound animals distribution of airbending?

Why didn't previous harmonic convergences grant the power of the elements to people?

Why only airbenders? How and why was the distribution of these made the way they were?

The Lionturtles and their powers had nothing to do with the spirit world, harmonic convergence, or any sort of "balance"

They were just giant "ancient ones" who protected humanity and granted powers when they needed it. Why then would harmonic convergence suddenly summon more of their defunct powers of a dead lionturtle that he didn't want to give more of anyway into already born and aged humans with no trace at all of his original magic that was the source!?
>>
A wizard did it.
>>
>>91177331
Some creators take "It's magic, ain't gotta explain shit" approach very enthusiastically.
>>
>>91177388

a wizard did it!
>>
>>91177331
The lion turtle thing was the most convoluted origin excuse to ever taint a shows plot. The one thing Korea shit on that actually makes sense to retcon
>>
>>91177494
Shame, I loved the cities on the turtles.
>>
>>91177331
You have witnessed the machinations of a self- correcting universe.

>Universe craves BALANCE
>Avatar is the embodiment of that balance
>Universe sees no Airbenders
>Universe must maintain balance
>Universe creates Airbenders
>Balance: Restored

The same thing would have happened if the Waterbenders had died instead.

>>91177385
>>91177455
>no_sense_of_right_or_wrong.png
>>
>>91177552
But there were no airbenders in the universe to begin with, so why would the universe want them and them specifically?

There are no energybenders besides the avatar and I'm guessing the people who lived on the energybender lionturtle forgot to ask for that power when leaving.

Why didn't harmonic convergence create a fuckton of energybenders too?

Or why was there not a surge of water benders? Half of their fucking race was purged during the 100 year war as EVERY LAST WATERBENDER OTHER THAN KATARA AND HAMA WERE PURGED.

There was be a disproportionate number of waterbenders compared to earth and fire, and yet all the new airbenders were from the Earth Kingdom for no reason.

Also the avatar isn't the embodiment of balance, its the spirit of light that houses 3 elements at a time that constantly reincarnates into a human bender over and over. And said human has absolute autonomy to do whatever they want with said powers and Raava doesn't do shit unless its harmonic convergence and she needs to reminds you to do fuck up Vaatu again.
>>
>>91177688
Look, man, I just gave you the best explanation I can come up with. This isn't Fictional Metaphysics 101. Go For a walk and try not to think about it too much.
>>
File: Bumi.png (81KB, 250x250px) Image search: [Google]
Bumi.png
81KB, 250x250px
>>91177331
>Harmonic Convergence happens and suddenly a lot of people are given the power of a particular Lionturtle for absolutely no reason
There was a reason.

They were all Bumi's bastards and had airbending genes.
>>
>>91177528
Don't get me wrong, they were sweet, just a terrible bending origin concept
>>
>>91177688
>Or why was there not a surge of water benders? Half of their fucking race was purged during the 100 year war as EVERY LAST WATERBENDER OTHER THAN KATARA AND HAMA WERE PURGED.

Only the Southern Tribe. North and the Swamp People were doing just fine.
>>
>>91177688
>Half of their fucking race was purged during the 100 year war as EVERY LAST WATERBENDER OTHER THAN KATARA AND HAMA WERE PURGED.
For the record, this only happened to the Southern one, so it should be much less than half in total.
>>
File: 1462458531575.jpg (41KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
1462458531575.jpg
41KB, 500x667px
>>91177688
You're looking for coherence and proper world/story building when the authors didn't give it that much thought. Don't try to find something that isn't there man
>>
>>91177688
A Wizard did it
>>
>>91177331
I always thought this was stupid, wasn't the Avatar meant to be the one who brings balance to the universe? It's why the lore is so fucked up, it was so much more interesting when the Avatar's origins were unclear and made it look like they were an expression of the world made to maintain balance rather than "They are possessed by the spirit of order and being good or whatever" which is just such a hack move that I can barely believe it made it to screen. It would have been a more interesting idea if the Avatar was capable of giving non-benders air-bending powers and had to decide who to give it to rather than it happening for basically no reason.

Fuck Beginings for ruining the origins of bending too, I'm still angry at how they threw the idea of bending coming from peoples connection to their environment in the garbage and shat out the idea of "lion turtles did it". It's just so lame and unsatisfying that both origins were far better left as a mystery.
>>
File: 1485161267751.png (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1485161267751.png
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>91177331
if i become a airbender after that can i get money from the fire nation for killing all of my predecessors
>>
File: Aang_Vector_by_BiggStankDogg.jpg (99KB, 700x763px) Image search: [Google]
Aang_Vector_by_BiggStankDogg.jpg
99KB, 700x763px
>>91177838
>>91178137

A better explanation would have been following up on the bullshit we learned from Amon's bloodbending.

That some people might have distance recessive airbender genes from the ancient past and the avatar(energybending) or a bloodbender could open that chi pathway, creating the ability to open up non-bendings to become air nomads.

But no, Bryke and Tim went back to the thing most people hated, the lionturtle, for plot and fucked it up 7 times worse than it already was.
>>
>>91177331
Trying to figure out the bullshit in Korra let alone the ducking retconning is impossible. Nothing makes sense.
>>
File: 1474315168540.jpg (102KB, 916x690px) Image search: [Google]
1474315168540.jpg
102KB, 916x690px
>>91178316
>>
>>91178350
Remember when Won murdered three guys because they were hunting for food for the village?
>>
File: 1480456923136.gif (341KB, 213x199px) Image search: [Google]
1480456923136.gif
341KB, 213x199px
>>91178290
the fuck are you talking about
>>
File: 1485527983729.gif (813KB, 192x200px) Image search: [Google]
1485527983729.gif
813KB, 192x200px
>>91178372
>>
File: milf.jpg (33KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
milf.jpg
33KB, 1280x720px
>>91177331

>first season
>trainwreck

I WILL HUNT YOU DOWN
>>
>>91178380

Amon's removal of bending was just bloodbending to do reverse waterbending healing.

I.e. he was closing the chi paths that connect the individual to their bending. And that Korra, as the avatar, normally would have access to all 4 paths, Amon only closed 3 of them.

This means there are preset paths of chi for certain kinds of bending, which leaves open the potential along with the genetic passing of building to have people have the recessive genes of a certain kind of bending (air) without knowing it that just has to be opened.

Ergo the Avatar using energybending or a bloodbender could help people with Great great^40 grandparents who were air nomads open up their path.
>>
>>91178290
Yeah, that was pretty much what I had in mind with the Avatar giving people airbending thing.

I don't know what harmonic convergence has to do with anything when it comes to bending, Isn't harmonic convergence a spirit-world thing? What does that have to do with who can bend what? It just felt like the writers wanted more airbenders (which ultimately didn't have that much significance to anything) and just handwaved it with "Uh, it was the harmonic convergence".

I mean, the harmonic convergence itself is just such a retarded plot device that I felt waves of secondhand embarrassment just reading the wiki entry. "EVERY 10000 YEARS THE SPIRITS OF GOOD AND EVIL FIGHT EACH OTHER", Christ, did a 14 year old write this for their Avatar fanfic? It's just so amateur from a series that really should know better than having such lazy, cliched, un-nuanced plot elements than having "GOOD VS EVIL".
>>
>>91178482
Not trolling I would honestly love the second season explained and how Korra meditating in the spirit tree thing let her go toe to toe with the dark avatar after becoming a giant spirit and then Jinora saving her by telling her... something
>>
>>91178444
Its bad writing
>>
>>91177331
The new Airbenders could have been distant descendants of the original Airbenders who lost touch with their roots over generations. We already know that at least one of the new Airbenders (Bumi) was related to Airbenders

Harmonic Convergence caused the influx of spiritual energy from the two open spirit portals to wash over the planet.

This could have caused those Airbender's descendants to have their chakras opened up allowing them to airbend for the first time.

And for all we know there were people around the world who were getting the other bending powers but because it wasn't unusual for there to be Earth, Fire or Water benders running around nobody made the connection
>>
>>91178540
Remember how Rava's and Vatu's design was symbolic of ying and yang but somehow they don't balance each other at all?

Also they didn't do their homework and fucked up which one was male and female
>>
>>91177331
needed guns and to show avatar/nature-spirits dying off..

leaving with a nihilistic future as industrialization and science displace superstition, mysticism, and "nature".

>would have at least a TV-14 rating.

>would have nationalist factions splitting apart the earth and fire-kingdoms.

>>rifles, muskets, cannon along with blades/bayonets are seen and used.

>Revolution is in the air, radicals/revolutionaries are seeing the old regime destroyed. Graphically indicate these guys are fucking nuts at times(public executions) but have justified causes beyond "muh wife",

>bits/hints at colonialism themes.
>would have bending being a completely dying art, as in there are increasingly rare to find, bending itself has gotten far weaker.
>Spirits who once kept the natural world in balance are being killed off by special hunters or mobs of townsfolk, and/or/otherwise becoming an extreme danger to people as they get forced off of their traditional territories.

>Show the traditional or "pro-bender" side as being suffocating with gender-roles and traditions, unable to think outside of a narrow framework of conservatism. often attempting to keep the tide of modernization from coming in and sweeping them away at their own peril.
>Show the industrialists as highly ambitious and ruthless towards the world as a whole.
>revolutionaries as delusional idealists

>Avatar somehow has to handle this chaotic scenario, but won't be able to "perfect balance" their way out of it, equilibrium is mostly a myth or something that emerges out of averages over a period of time.

>allows the world to move on... an uncertain future awaits.
>>
>>91178783
They honestly needed to add more of a gap between Korra and Aang. I mean she uses firebending more anyways, having her born as a water bender was largely inconsequential. Not to mention it wasn't like she meditated and got advice from Aang. That was such a disappointment.
>>
>>91177331
>Why didn't previous harmonic convergences grant the power of the elements to people?
This one did not. They just got to keep turtle powers when ghosts got ghosted. only MC got a power boost.
>Why only airbenders? How and why was the distribution of these made the way they were?
Who knows. It was always painted like their way of life was better but in reality they had to hide like everyone else.

tldr show runners stopped loving the show
>>
>>91178652
I find them just to be more stupid from a world-building perspective. The sprits of "order and chaos" that are basically good and evil just feels like it is such an amateur idea, like nobody truly considers themselves to be evil so to have the literal embodiment of evil is just dumb and not very interesting. The whole concept of balance in the show has been handled in far more nuanced and mature ways than having the embodiments of good and evil come out to punch each other in the face.

The spirit world as a whole was ruined in Korra, before it was some mysterious realm of spirits, that got turned into a kiddy fun world filled with Miyazaki's scrapped designs. It really clashed with how it was portrayed before and just felt dumbed down. The crowning moment was that Lucasian Iroh scene where he met baby Korra and took her to a wacky tea party in another moment I barely believe made it to air and just sums up how this series doesn't seem to get what made the original so great in the first place.
>>
>>91177388
Every writer who resorts to magic does that. That's the essence of magic.
>>
>>91178940
>good and evil just feels like it is such an amateur idea
it is. especially in the way it is shown, even in yin yang the other has bit of the opposite in them. The way it is used in western shit is always trite, like calling characters adam and eve
>>
>>91179016
nope.
>>
>>91178827
Yeah, the deaths of the Avatars would've had more weight if Korra actually interacted with them.

They could even just imply she was listening to them by having her space out during travel scenes or something.
>>
>>91178940
>>91178940
Plus someone correct me but order and chaos don't seem to be strong themes in Asiatic culture let alone the avatar world. It was always about balance in Avatar. Life and death. Sun and moon. Air and ground.

Introducing the whole "chaos consumes everything" theme felt very out of place, especially when the literal embodiment of that theme was in the form of ying and yang
>>
File: me.jpg (17KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
me.jpg
17KB, 480x360px
>>91179160

>The Avatar state is supposed to be powerful because of all the past lives working together
>Link to the past gets severed
>Avatar state as powerful as ever
>>
>>91179016
Here's the thing, though. As a precursor, I acknowledge I love the fuck out of magic.

Magic, from a narrative standpoint, must always follow its set rules.If you introduce new shit out of nowhere to solve problems, it's bad writing to be inconsistent. However, how magic ACTUALLY WORKS should never be explained to us. We just know it's consistent. People bend the elements, got it. Lightning is strong fire, got it. Metalbending is actually still only bending earth? Got it.

The essence of magic is not "I don't have to explain shit", it's "you shouldn't have a direct answer to all your questions." What makes magic invincible is that you can never be wrong by premise on how it works, only by how you've failed to stick to your own rules writing it.

Now, despite saying this, Amon's bloodbending fails completely on a narrative level. They never explain how the fuck he does it, and while yes, mystery and ambiguity is great for magic, the most essential, plot-enabling detail of how he blocks bending as a waterbender? Yeah, we need to know that. We need to be told that much. Not how Lion Turtles gave us all our powers, because we had sufficient answers from A:tLA that could be inferred, and didn't really detriment the series to not know. Korra breaks its own lore and establishes new shit which doesn't hold up to old shit, and raises more questions as a result. Answers should raise more questions in magic, yes, but not the way Korra does it.
>>
>>91179160
It was so stupid too. Like skipping over Rava acting as the spiritual glue that held the avatars together (worst retcon possible) what exactly happened when they "died". Did their spirits get wiped from the spirit world? Liked wiped from existence because they were killed? Or was the connection just broken? Because nothing would stop a non-spiritually deficient avatar (that was never explain either) from just entering the spirit world and talking to them with or without the connection
>>
>>91179297
Blood bending was stale because blood bending in and of itself brought nothing. There was no actual connection to your bending in your chi. Like no physical point where it existed. There is no valve to close.

It would have been way better if they had Amon chi bending (which they already established could do exactly what Amon was shown to be doing) instead of having blood bending now able to accomplish what chi bending could.
>>
>>91179126
>>91179226
It's just so lame, you'd be hard pressed to write a worse and less "Avatar" plot than the one that fell out of Spirits.
>>
>>91179414
>Like no physical point where it existed.
Bro, I'm the same one you replied to, and there is a perfectly reasonable explanation for bloodbending blocking bending. The problem is as I said, they need to fucking explain it because without it, we have Step A and Step H, with nothing in between.

>chi is a physical thing (chiblocking seals the chi-pathways
>bloodbending controls the body physically
>if there were such a pressure point that, when blocked with bloodbending applied as well, bending could not be returned

The problem is this actually opens an issue with the original lore. If waterbending healing works by massaging the chi pathways to accelerate the body's natural healing, then water healing should also be the natural counter to chiblocking, which is closing the flow of chi. Yet when it's established, it doesn't affect it at all.
>>
>>91179239
>The Avatar state is supposed to be powerful because of all the past lives working together
>first avatar was strong without any past lives
>>
>>91179589
Yeah, that shows how a great idea was ruined. The idea of the Avatar being powerful due to their connection to the past experiences of all previous Avatars is a lot more interesting than it basically being a videogame powerup from a ghost.
>>
>>91179589
>original avatar universe:
>"We learned how to water bend by watching the moon. We draw power from the moon spirit and our life from the ocean spirit. Our world we live in reflects this power. To have control over it we must train our bodies and our minds.
>Korra universe:
>"Hey lion turtle give me the ability to move water. Also hey it's the prohibition era!"

Fuck me
>>
>>91179670
It gave it meaning. It was just a power up. It was working together with the past lives, all their wisdom and power combined and working together to move islands, erupt volcanoes, summon tsunamis, and being tornadoes.

Now it was just "Hey you're a little bit stronger and nothing about it is spiritual."
>>
File: download.jpg (23KB, 460x288px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
23KB, 460x288px
>>91178827
While we are on the topic of the short age gap, how the fuck did Yakone get plastic surgery IN AANGS TIME. Like not even the roaring 20s era where that shit just started (and didn't look pretty pic related), in the era of Aang that shit happened.

Like the year he got fucked over by Aang, only 35 years after Atla, this motherfucker is getting perfectly made new face by medical professionals somehow when the only previous notion of medicine was chinese ointments and waterbends.

WHAT THE FUCK
>>
>>91179788
Also he got plastic surgery to hide his face.... that he always hid by wearing a mask
>>
>>91180168
Yakone, not Amon you moron.

Amon only had makeup.
>>
>>91180200
Oh oops. Well that actually doesn't make any sense. No reason to change your face (like you said even assuming the technology exists for some odd reason) if you are exiling yourself to the middle of nowhere.
>>
>>91179724
>original avatar universe
>"We learned how to water bend by watching the moon
>yet there are still nonbenders when they could just fucking look up at night and become waterbenders
>>
File: cry 2.jpg (27KB, 460x282px) Image search: [Google]
cry 2.jpg
27KB, 460x282px
there will never be a good avatar thread will there you fucks just like to bitch and bitch
>>
>>91179788
>how the fuck did Yakone get plastic surgery IN AANGS TIME
It would have been one of the few instances where Koh the Face Stealer/Mother of Faces would have actually worked in the plot and not /co/'s retarded "Amon is Koh!" theory.
>>
>>91179724

did fucks like you even listen to anything they said or are you making headcanon
>>
>>91180277
Well you can blame Korra for that, buddy
>>
>>91177331
None of it is canon so who cares.
>>
>>91180421
nope you can blame the retards mad about there headcanon
>>
>>91180709
Or you can blame the sub-par poorly written sequel series that generates all this buttmad
>>
>>91179724
Wait, if waterbenders live very near the north and south poles, wouldn't they only be able to see the Moon rise just barely over the horizon at best, and not really witness it pulling any tides at the poles as a result?
>>
The whole thing read like it was from Chinese legend, so I really didn't took what was said with face value, I just think that making an episode with it was the stupidest idea they could've had.

You either go full Over The Garden Wall or keep it as a legend, you are not supposed to show exactly what happened, retard.
>>
>>91180824
Or you can blame the retards mad about their headcanon being proved wrong
>>
>>91181337
Yeah, so we agree that you can blame Korra for being a bad show.
>>
>>91181397
nope
>>
File: 1462660035129.gif (2MB, 400x223px) Image search: [Google]
1462660035129.gif
2MB, 400x223px
>>91181397
good mad
>>
>>91181337
I was mad because it fucked with the actual canon of the original series.
>>
>>91181404
Oh ok
>>91181409
good post
>>
>>91181397
If anything I'd say Korra was the one good thing of the show.

Poorly written and all, I never really disliked Korra except in Season 2

Fuck everyone else though.
>>
>>91181436
It didn't though.
>>
>>91181436
The series is never coming back.
Pretend Korra didn't exist and the canon is still intact.
Problem solved.
>>
>>91181470
I meant Legend of Korra as a bad show, I never disliked Korra myself, but I never really cared for her as much as I did anyone from the first show.
>>
File: 103106458.jpg (49KB, 640x400px) Image search: [Google]
103106458.jpg
49KB, 640x400px
>>91181490
it has canon comics about aang and korra
>>
>>91181477
That's not an opinion, it did change the canon. The spirit world changed, and the concept of the avatar itself changed. Pretty much nothing about the lore in season 2 is consistent with what was set up in ATLA.

>>91181490
It's not really canon anyway.
>>
i thought nuk-nuk was charming for what it was, along with lovable happy merchant man
>>
>>91181555
>nothing about the lore in season 2 is consistent with what was set up in ATLA
you mean those legends and stories
>>
>>91181616
Actually I don't. The lion turtles were dumb though.
>>
>>91181555
>That's not an opinion, it did change the canon.
It didn't.

>The spirit world changed,
No, we just saw much more of it than the little tiny bit we saw in ATLA. There are aspects of the spirit world in TLOK that are similar to what we saw in ATLA

>and the concept of the avatar itself changed.
Not really, the avatar is still ultimately someone who is meant to bring balance to the world, who can control/master all four elements, and who can communicate with past lives(at least, unless that connection is severed)

>Pretty much nothing about the lore in season 2 is consistent with what was set up in ATLA.
Examples?
>>
>>91181636
We've done this dance before anon. You already know my arguments, so I'll keep it brief.

>Spirit portals. Spirit world changes from parallel world to an extension of the physical one.
>Avatar changes from a single being (part human, part spirit) into Raava attached to a human.
>Avatar state is a power up from Raava opposed to channelling the power of past lives.
>Connection to past lives doesn't make sense. The Avatar and Raava are two separate entities.
>>
Long ago, people asked for temporary bending power from the Lionturtles that they live on.

Separating humans from the spirit world, and that the Lionturtles disappeared, people obtained bending through genes.

Some people could awaken their bending through other means by learning from natural "original" benders like Dragons or Badgermoles, like Toph. Others were just born with the prowess, like Korra. As long as they have the dominant gene.

Those with recessive bending genes Like Sokka or Bumi, could not bend. But they did have the gene.

Korra touched the spirit universal beam-thing called Harmonic Convergence. It went through Korra's spirit (Raava), copied the four bending styles, and applied balance to the world. Since Air Nation was the only thing that needed to be applied, it was the only thing changed.

That's my head-canon. I want to see Vaatu Avatar cycle since he is now infused with Ravva and has the four elements intwined within each other. Would be cool.
>>
>>91181750
>Spirit portals. Spirit world changes from parallel world to an extension of the physical one.
No, it's still a parallel world, it's just connected via a portal. Not sure where you're getting the idea that the Spirit world was ever turned into just another part of the real world.

>Avatar changes from a single being (part human, part spirit) into Raava attached to a human.
It's still part human, part spirit though? The avatar is the human(with their own unique spirit that represents them as a human) and the spirit is Raava(and now Vaatu too).

>Avatar state is a power up from Raava opposed to channelling the power of past lives.
It's both, really. Raava provides power, the past lives also provide power and provide wisdom and experience.

The only reason Korra was still relatively powerful later on is because Raava was substantially larger than she was when she fused with Wan or when she was ripped from Korra.

>Connection to past lives doesn't make sense. The Avatar and Raava are two separate entities.
That are permanently bonded(unless they die in the avatar state or they come into contact with Vaatu). What abou it doesn't make sense?
>>
File: korrabig2.jpg (681KB, 2881x2960px) Image search: [Google]
korrabig2.jpg
681KB, 2881x2960px
>>91181616
>>91181636

Or you know, the fucking RULES AND LORE specifically shown?!

>Lightning bending is the most difficult ability to use and can only be mastered by the highest of firebenders
Suddenly everybody in Republic City can do it easily, Zuko just sucked ass for not being able to learn

>You must train and learn to unlock the chi path to connect with the element as a bender
Apparently you just had to get touched by a lionturtle and you seemlessly bend the elements without training. No martial arts, neutral Jing, Tui/La, spirituality solar power required. Its all Lionturtles magic. Fucking Aang was an idiot for not being able to Earthbend instantly by just moving his arms around.

>The avatar state is explicitly said by Roku to be the power of all the past incarnations of the Avatars used to hone your power and skills together
Now the avatar state is a power boost from the ultimate spirit of good and peace mixed with harmonic convergence portal energy, Because Wan didn't have any predecessors.

>The fucking Fire Lionturtle himself in Atla(check the marks on his head, same one): "In the era before the avatar we bent the energy inside of us."
JK there has always been bending since way before the avatar, and nobody actually ever energybent.

>Original artbook and escape from the spirit world states that the avatar is the Spirit of the world in human form, who does so to learn and live as man to help it directly and learn from it.
Sorry, the avatar is actually the spirit of all the good and peace ever that siphoned from elemental powers she didn't even have before from 4 lionturtles and just runs through the cycle of reincarnating into humans even though her original job to defeat vaatu is done and she gains absolutely nothing from giving her powers and access to the elements to mortals.
>>
>>91177331
>>91178632
This is the correct answer.
>>
>>91181853
>Not sure where you're getting the idea that the Spirit world was ever turned into just another part of the real world.
The fact that you can physically walk there through a door. Even bend in the spirit world. That's not parallel like it was in ATLA. Like how the spirit world was closer to the physical world during the solstice. that doesn't make sense anymore.

>It's still part human, part spirit though? The avatar is the human(with their own unique spirit that represents them as a human) and the spirit is Raava(and now Vaatu too).
They're two separate entities now. Not how it was described in ATLA.

>What abou it doesn't make sense?
Because Raava and the Avatar are separate, Korra's connection to her past lives should be independent from her connection to Raava.
>>
>>91181926
>Suddenly everybody in Republic City can do it
only those 4 guys and one was mako

>You must train and learn to unlock the chi path to connect with the element as a bender
when the fuck did that happen

>Now the avatar state is a power boost
it was always a power boost

you need to ether watch the show again or stop putting your headcanon into the show
>>
>>91181926
>Lightning bending is the most difficult ability to use and can only be mastered by the highest of firebenders
It was only scarce because it was a royal secret

>Suddenly everybody in Republic City can do it easily, Zuko just sucked ass for not being able to learn
no, it's still a relatively rare ability, it's just more common than it used to be.

Mako's job payed "good money" so it's still something that isn't common(as evidenced by there being only a few others), otherwise it'd pay cheap. The only other person we see doing it is Lightning Bolt Zolt

that's still true

>Apparently you just had to get touched by a lionturtle and you seemlessly bend the elements without training. No martial arts, neutral Jing, Tui/La, spirituality solar power required. Its all Lionturtles magic.
oh, it's another one of you retards. The Lion turtles only gave people the power of the element. Bending is still something learned and developed from observing the animals/moon&ocean. For fucks sake we see Wan learning from a dragon in the show.

>The avatar state is explicitly said by Roku
When did Roku become an unbiased objective source of history and lore? who's to say he wasn't repeating a commonly believed myth?

>Now the avatar state is a power boost from the ultimate spirit of good and peace mixed with harmonic convergence portal energy,
No, it's a power boost from both the past lives and from the spirit of Light and Peace

> "In the era before the avatar we bent the energy inside of us."
as in, other lion turtles.

>JK there has always been bending since way before the avatar,
only Wan was shown to bend, and that's after he learned

> nobody actually ever energybent.
lion turtles did

>Original artbook
where is it stated in an objective way

>and escape from the spirit world states
it does not.
>>
>>91181990
>The fact that you can physically walk there through a door. Even bend in the spirit world. That's not parallel like it was in ATLA.
It is. The portals are just a physical way to walk into the spirit world instead of meditating into it. The portal acts as a doorway into the parallel realm.

>Like how the spirit world was closer to the physical world during the solstice. that doesn't make sense anymore.
How does it not?

>They're two separate entities now. Not how it was described in ATLA.
It was never detailed particularly in ATLA, and never stated to be one thing particular like you're pretending.

>Because Raava and the Avatar are separate, Korra's connection to her past lives should be independent from her connection to Raava.
Raava and the Avatar are not separate. They are permanently bonded beings(outside of two special circumstances that can separate them). Raava holds the past lives because she is acting like a memory backup. Normally, the case seems to be that when a human dies they reincarnate with no memory of their previous life. But the Avatar retains those memories because they have a bond with Raava.
>>
>>91182097
>only those 4 guys and one was mako
And multiple gangsters, and also the fact that the entire power grid of republic city is run by lightning benders. There are countless of them at the factory.

>when the fuck did that happen
Aang with Earthbending, Korra with Airbending, Roku with waterbending.
They couldn't just make a motion and bend. They had to learn to connect and control their chi with the element.
>>
>>91182358
>There are countless of them at the factory.
there were four others besides Mako
>>
>>91182358
>They couldn't just make a motion and bend. They had to learn to connect and control their chi with the element.
Except, you know, Katara moving water and making motions without having any sort of training.
>>
>>91182358
are you going to bitch about mettle benders too and why is it a big problem with you guys and lightning bending the only reason only azula and her dad know it was because they kept it a secret what if iroh was teaching others to do it he is the one to make the fucking thing
>>
>>91182402
most of the retards think you need to know how to fight to bend
>>
>>91177688
Energybenders are allowed to be snowflakes because they're op as fuck.
>>
>>91182243
>Sun or moon turn off
>People lose bending
Why? Its all the magic put in their Genes by the lionturtles. Why does the sun or moon matter if the turtle is the source of their power?

>The "everything roku and all things states in Atla are wrong and Wan/Korra are right" meme
Retcons aren't right if they don't make since with the established lore and story.

>No, it's a power boost from both the past lives and from the spirit of Light and Peace
Wow, and yet Wan gets the same boost without past lives and from only vaguely practicing with the elements by himself for 1 year and never beside harmonic convergence having the ability to wield multiple. How convenient.

Also if you watch the fight, the Portal energy is literally the thing that lets him get the boost and fight/defeat vaatu. When just normally fused with Raava he isn't shit to Vaatu.

>only Wan was shown to bend, and that's after he learned
Everyone bent because everyone got power from the lionturtles. Hell, fucking air normads were flying like nothing, making Aang and all subsequent airbenders look like shit for using dumb air scooters.

>escape from the spirit world does not state this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJyfxHEGRqI

>Original art book
http://piandao.org/books/atla-artbook/atla-artbook7.jpg
>>
>>91182348
In the original series, the spirit world and the physical world were like mirrors of one another. They're two separate planes of existence that are inextricably linked. For example, we see that when Aang entered the spirit world at the North Pole, he appeared underneath an arch that very closely resembled the one at the spring. Or the time when Iroh 'saw' Roku and his dragon flying over him. Or how the solstices brought the two worlds closer together. It's as if the two worlds were parallel dimensions, where something in the spiritual world affected the physical world and vice versa, and occasionally things can spill out into that other plane of existence. Then in Lok, the spirit portals made it possible to physically WALK there. Instead of feeling like a spiritual, parallel world, it became an extension of the physical world. For me, it completely ruined the mythical nature of the spirit world that ATLA captured so well.

>It was never detailed particularly in ATLA, and never stated to be one thing particular like you're pretending.
The avatar was the human incarnation of the avatar spirit. That's how the whole rebirth and past lives thing worked in the first place. Which is why the avatar spirit being Raava doesn't make sense.

>Raava holds the past lives because she is acting like a memory backup.
Sorry dude, it's a weak justification, and diminishes the importance of the past lives regardless. If you have to do mental gymnastics to make something work it may as well be a retcon.
>>
>Iroh reaches nirvana to enter the spirit world

>Now anybody can enter the spirit world by any of the 3 conveniently placed portals

This hurts the most. Iroh suffers a fate worse than death. Being mortal in old age in a place where anybody can come and kill him as spirits can't bend elements.
>>
>>91182664
>Why? Its all the magic put in their Genes by the lionturtles. Why does the sun or moon matter if the turtle is the source of their power?
The turtle isn't the source of the power in a literal sense, it just gave them the power to wield the element. Based on the info from ATLA

>Retcons aren't right if they don't make since with the established lore and story.
they do make sense though.

>Wow, and yet Wan gets the same boost without past lives
not on the exact same level

>and from only vaguely practicing with the elements by himself for 1 year and never beside harmonic convergence having the ability to wield multiple. How convenient.

>Also if you watch the fight, the Portal energy is literally the thing that lets him get the boost and fight/defeat vaatu.
No, the Portal energy is what fuses Wan to Raava permanently and allows him to use her energy

>When just normally fused with Raava he isn't shit to Vaatu.
He is until he's bonded with Raava for too long

>Everyone bent because everyone got power from the lionturtles. Hell, fucking air normads were flying like nothing, making Aang and all subsequent airbenders look like shit for using dumb air scooters.
None of them were "bending". There were manipulating the elements, yes, but they were not bending.

Bending in the "modern" sense encapsulates all element manipulation, it's a catch-all term.

Bending really refers to the specific martial arts.

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJyfxHEGRqI
again, it doesn't state that the avatar is the spirit of the planet in human form, it just has aang ponder why the avatar is a human instead of an all-knowing spirit

>http://piandao.org/books/atla-artbook/atla-artbook7.jpg

>"In the series bible, we wrote that “the Avatar is the incarnation of the Spirit of the Planet in human form,“ though we later dropped this idea for the series."
You do realize this goes against you, right? It's stated to be an idea they dropped.
>>
>>91177688
>There are no energybenders besides the avatar

Literally every bender. They explained before people could bend elementals they had to learn to bend spirits ie their own. It's just lower tier
>>
>>91182669
>In the original series, the spirit world and the physical world were like mirrors of one another. They're two separate planes of existence that are inextricably linked. For example, we see that when Aang entered the spirit world at the North Pole, he appeared underneath an arch that very closely resembled the one at the spring. Or the time when Iroh 'saw' Roku and his dragon flying over him. Or how ...
This is still true in TLOK, just not a universally true thing(which is fine). There are places that correlate to real world places, and there are places that don't. Hell, this is true in ATLA oo with things like Koh's Realm

>Then in Lok, the spirit portals made it possible to physically WALK there. Instead of feeling like a spiritual, parallel world, it became an extension of the physical world.
It didn't though. It's still a parallel world, the portal just gives physical entryway into that parallel world. You seem to someone think that a portal automatically removes the parallel aspect, which it does not. Just look at anything that deals with parallel realms or universes. They're typically accessed by portals or wormholes.

>For me, it completely ruined the mythical nature of the spirit world that ATLA captured so well.
That's completely retarded of you.

>The avatar was the human incarnation of the avatar spirit. That's how the whole rebirth and past lives thing worked in the first place.
That is never explicitly stated in the show or any other canon materials.

>Which is why the avatar spirit being Raava doesn't make sense.
It does.

>Sorry dude, it's a weak justification,
It's not a justification, it's a thing that's been around even before we knew the avatar spirit was raava. The implication was always that the past lives come from the avatar spirit.

>and diminishes the importance of the past lives regardless.
nope.

>If you have to do mental gymnastics to make something work it may as well be a retcon.
You don't and it isn't.
>>
>>91177331
>Beginnings retconned all bending to be sourced from those who obtained power of the elements from the lionturtles and their genetic descendants
retconned what, the original never explaned where bending came from

the lion turtles gave them the power and then they learned to use it from the animals and the moon
>>
>>91182978
>Retcons do make sense though.
No in the slightest when they litereally contradict everything we learn in the original series from prior avatars and how bending and their powers work and flips it on its head. Roku is wrong, fire sages are wrong, yangchen is wrong, history stated in Atla is all wrong. And you just gotta accept it.

>Turtle give you power to wield an element
>For some reason Sun and Moon can turn off that power despite your chi paths still being open, you still being a genetic holder of the power from the turtle, and are still using the motions to control them

>Power boost not on the exact same level
Literally performs Aang's 4 elements bubble just when fusing with Raava for a few seconds, hell he even pulled off the airscooter out of nowhere riding on a cloud zipping around like no other avatar has done before. And then after the portal powerup he was chuck small mountains like nothing and then wrapped Vaatu (who is the size of a small mountain himself) in a mountain sized sphere of air surrounded by massve steams of flame the size we've only seen suring Sozin's comet, a giant rushing river, and hundreds of massive boulders

That is more powerful than any avatar state we've seen save for Kyoshi's shit. And he didn't have ANY past lives to go on and only had been self training in the elements for less than a year

>Portal wasn't the powerup
He was not bending at that "better than Aang when he had Sozin's fucking comet" level before he got the portaljuice, and he was in the "avatar state" with the glowing eyes using Raava's power

>There were manipulating the elements
They shouldn't be able to. To even just get into channeling your chi to bend is a daunting task itself(see korra and Aang struggling with Air and Earthbending despite having the open chi path to it and doing the motions for it). Yet apparently they were just shit at it, because if you have magical genes from the lionturtle, you should be able to punch the air boom, element
>>
>>91183145
Alright I'll say my last bit.

>just not a universally true thing(which is fine).
Iroh seeing Roku in the spirit world doesn't make sense if you can also physically go there. You cannot have it both ways, it's either parallel or it isn't.

> physical entryway into that parallel world.
You shouldn't be able to go there physically at all, that defeats the point of the spirit world, is that it exists on a different plane.

>That's completely retarded of you.
Rude.

>That is never explicitly stated in the show or any other canon materials.
Technically untrue. Mike said in the art book that "the Avatar is the human incarnation of the Spirit of the Planet in human form."

>The implication was always that the past lives come from the avatar spirit.
Which was heavily implied to be the avatar.

Okay, I'm out.
>>
>>91183254
>Technically untrue. Mike said in the art book that "the Avatar is the human incarnation of the Spirit of the Planet in human form."
Sorry, I'll specify that this was the only the original concept. In any case it is clear that the Avatar and the avatar spirit were written as one and the same in ATLA. I'm not debating on this issue, it should be obvious.
>>
File: mux1bukzjg1rnjdzho4_400.gif (967KB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
mux1bukzjg1rnjdzho4_400.gif
967KB, 260x260px
>>91177331
>fact: All Air nomads were airbenders

Damn, Water, Earth, and Fire got cucked by their lionturtle. He gave EVERY SINGLE person who left his shell the power of air before they left him, but only like 1/4th of the population met the deadline to get theirs from their lionturtle.

According to Beginnings, spirituality of the air nomads never really matters or was the reason they all were benders, it was because their lionturtle just happened to be a bro and gave them all air powers.

Now what I wanna know is how Airbenders
A. got their tattoos before they even met the Sky Bison
B. Why they gave tattoos that were supposed to represent airbending masters to everyone including children, like what the fuck.
C. How all future airbenders got shitty at their craft and didn't learn how to create clouds and levitate/fly

Serious, Zaheer is a fucking chump for having to give up Amazon booty to be able to fly when dudes who NEVER FUCKING TRAINED with airbending could.
>>
>>91183216
>No in the slightest when they litereally contradict everything we learn in the original series from prior avatars and how bending and their powers work and flips it on its head.
They literally do not.

>For some reason Sun and Moon can turn off that power despite your chi paths still being open,
Okay, since you seem to no be understanding I'll explain it in a more simple way:

Power of Fire and Power of Water = spiritually linked to Sun and Moon

Lion Turtles = can energybend

Lion Turtles use energybending(which alters a person's chi) to give people the ability to control an element and take it away. This chi alteration is something that can be passed down to offspring.

>Literally performs Aang's 4 elements bubble just when fusing with Raava for a few seconds, hell he even pulled off the airscooter out of nowhere riding on a cloud zipping around like no other avatar has done before. And then after the portal powerup he was chuck small mountains like nothing and then wrapped Vaatu (who is the size of a small mountain himself)
Wan's avatar state is not as powerful as others we've seen. It was close ho

>He was not bending at that "better than Aang when he had Sozin's fucking comet" level before he got the portaljuice
He never was, he was bending on a level that could barely approach that both before and after the permanent fusion

>They shouldn't be able to.
In your headcanon.

>To even just get into channeling your chi to bend is a daunting task itself(see korra and Aang struggling with Air and Earthbending despite having the open chi path to it and doing the motions for it).
they only struggled because it was their opposite mentally. Once they'd passed the mental block it became easier

>Yet apparently they were just shit at it, because if you have magical genes from the lionturtle, you should be able to punch the air boom, element
You've always been able to punch boom element
>>
>>91183254
>Iroh seeing Roku in the spirit world doesn't make sense if you can also physically go there. You cannot have it both ways, it's either parallel or it isn't.
How does it not make sense? You keep making this claim but not providing any actual reasoning. Just "it don't make sense".

It is parallel, the portal is just a physical pathway to go there. Like a portal to a parallel universe.

>You shouldn't be able to go there physically at all,
says your headcanon

>that defeats the point of the spirit world,
nope

> is that it exists on a different plane.
it does, the portal is just a physical means of going to that plane. Meditation is another means.

>Rude.
get over it

>Which was heavily implied to be the avatar.
It... is? Raava is the avatar spirit, which is half of the avatar. The other half is the human.

>>91183288
>Sorry, I'll specify that this was the only the original concept.
exactly, it was stated to be dropped.

>In any case it is clear that the Avatar and the avatar spirit were written as one and the same in ATLA.
They are. The avatar spirit is part of the makeup of the avatar, the other part is the human.
>>
>>91183439
>You keep making this claim but not providing any actual reasoning. Just "it don't make sense".
Iroh can see spirits in the spirit world occupying the same space as the physical world. It's like two sides of a coin. The spirit world is not a distinct location, it is a different plane of existence intertwined with the physical world. I can't explain myself any better.
>>
>>91183507
>Iroh can see spirits in the spirit world occupying the same space as the physical world. It's like two sides of a coin. The spirit world is not a distinct location, it is a different plane of existence intertwined with the physical world. I can't explain myself any better.
absolutely none of this is affected by there being portals to enter that parallel plane.

also, the spirit world does have distinct locations, as we've seen
>>
>>91183555
>absolutely none of this is affected by there being portals to enter that parallel plane.
Everything is. I don't understand why you're not getting this. You can't "go" to the spirit world because it's already part of the physical world, hence why Iroh could see the spirits. Being able to physically enter the spirit world is a complete contradiction.
>>
>>91183620
>Everything is.
Nope.

>I don't understand why you're not getting this.
I don't understand what the hell is going on in your brain.

>You can't "go" to the spirit world because it's already part of the physical world,
That's not what you've been arguing, and has NEVER been the case. I don't know where in the hell you got that idea and developed that headcanon but the Spirit World is a parallel plane of existence, not a part of the physical world.

>hence why Iroh could see the spirits.
He could see them because he's highly spiritually attuned

>Being able to physically enter the spirit world is a complete contradiction.
It is not.
>>
>>91183379
>Power of Fire and Power of Water = spiritually linked to Sun and Moon
Why? Does spirit energy magically attune itself to some certain way in the chi pathways that gets cut off when the sun or moon are covered?

Why don't Earth and Wind have spiritual ties?

>energybending(which alters a person's chi) to give people the ability to control an element and take it away. This chi alteration is something that can be passed down to offspring.

How do you explain the OP then?

People, without energybending, for no reason whatsoever, got their chi paths open specifically to air, despite them having no magic turtle genes, or bending in humans never have been a thing before ever or connected to harmonic convergence prior and only being introduced by the advent of the lionturtles?
>>
>>91183663
>That's not what you've been arguing
parallel. adj. occurring or existing at the same time or in a similar way; corresponding.
>occupying the same space
>two sides of a coin
>intertwined
sounds pretty similar to me.

The mere fact that the spirits can interact with humans in the physical world is definitive proof of my argument. If you can't see that, that's on you.
>>
>>91183715
When I say that I mean that the two worlds overlap of course.
>>
>>91183697
>Why? Does spirit energy magically attune itself to some certain way in the chi pathways that gets cut off when the sun or moon are covered?
Look, I'm not Bryke, so I can't explain everything. But based on everything we know, the Power of Fire and Power of Water are tied to the Sun and Moon, and any interruption of that connection removes the ability to wield that element.

>Why don't Earth and Wind have spiritual ties?
Maybe they do and we've just never been told or shown the spiritual sources of power?

>How do you explain the OP then?
>People, without energybending, for no reason whatsoever, got their chi paths open specifically to air, despite them having no magic turtle genes, or bending in humans never have been a thing before ever or connected to harmonic convergence prior and only being introduced by the advent of the lionturtles?
Harmonic Convergence is like a big reset button. When it occured this time, there was an imbalance in the distribution of elements among the people of the world. So it corrected that imbalance by altering the chi of random people throughout the world in a sort of cosmic energybending, granting them airbending and allowing for the distribution of elements to become more even.
>>
>>91183766
If it's a reset button why didn't it take away their bending?
>>
>>91183766
>reset button for elements that never existed or were distributed with nothing controlling it for no reason

Thats not even headcanon, now you're just making shit up to make up for the deus ex machina they never explain or give context to.
>>
>>91183715
>parallel. adj. occurring or existing at the same time or in a similar way; corresponding.
>two sides of a coin
>intertwined
>sounds pretty similar to me.
You've previously been arguing that the Spirit World is a parallel plane(which it is) but now you're trying to claim it's part of the Physical World, which is untrue.

>occupying the same space
That's not what parallel means and is not part of any definition I can find.

>The mere fact that the spirits can interact with humans in the physical world is definitive proof of my argument.
It is not. It is only proof that the Physical World and Spirit World are connected, parallel realms that can be crossed between and interacted with.

>>91183742
>When I say that I mean that the two worlds overlap of course.
Which goes against what you've previously been saying. Something can't overlap if it's parallel to something else
>>
>>91183797
It's not even dues ex machina. They clearly explained it and you're just too stupid to understand
>>
>>91183784
>If it's a reset button why didn't it take away their bending?
Why would it? When Harmonic Convergence occurred, there was an uneven distribution of elements, so it corrected that.

>>91183797
>reset button for elements that never existed
what? they exist

>or were distributed with nothing controlling it for no reason
don't even know what you're attempting to say here

>Thats not even headcanon, now you're just making shit up
No, it's very clearly the case.

>to make up for the deus ex machina they never explain or give context to.
you have no idea what a deus ex machina is. Just stop posting.
>>
>>91177331
The Legend of Korra is shit. The best thing you can do is block it from your memory and pretend it never happened. It's what I do. Ignorance is bliss.
>Korra? What's a Korra? Avatar The Last Air Bender never had sequel comics. It all ended after the show.
>>
>>91183847
How to spot a manchild: the post.
>>
>>91183766
Why is Harmonic Convergence the thing that balances the elements when it's suppose to be the Avatars job?
>>
>>91183852
>How to spot good taste: the post.
FTFY
>>
>>91183842
>Why would it? When Harmonic Convergence occurred, there was an uneven distribution of elements, so it corrected that.

It was already corrected
>>
>>91183859
>Why is Harmonic Convergence the thing that balances the elements when it's suppose to be the Avatars job?
Harmonic Convergence is a cosmic/spiritual balancer that shifts energy.

The Avatar's job is to bring balance to the world.
>>
>>91183861
>How to spot shit taste: the post
>>
>>91183892
How to spot a retard: the post
>>
>>91183885
>It was already corrected
No it wasn't there was an uneven distribution of elements among the peoples. Airbending was in severely low quantity
>>
>>91183812
>You've previously been arguing that the Spirit World is a parallel plane(which it is) but now you're trying to claim it's part of the Physical World, which is untrue.
Those two things are not mutually exclusive at all. In fact, quite the opposite.
>occurring or existing at the same time

>Something can't overlap if it's parallel to something else
Saying that the spirit world doesn't overlap with the physical world in ATLA is plain incorrect. "As the solstice approaches, the natural world and the Spirit World grow closer and closer until the line between them is blurred completely." The two worlds overlapping is the canon explanation for what happens in the solstice episodes.

This is too exhausting. I'm going to bed.
>>
>>91183894
You're correct, your post>>91183847 is a good way to spot a retard.
>>
>>91183898
Oh no, who's gonna blow wind at my face to cool me off. The terror.
>>
>>91178212
>WE
>>
>>91183898
Not just severely low quantity, effectively non-existent as a population for an extremely long time since they would all be descended from Aang.

(Clearly, the liberal ATLA universe let race mixing solve that problem, while the conservative LOK one used a different strategy.)
>>
>>91183820
Then please explain it. Because those powers never existed before. People were never given the power of the elements by the cosmos, and why would the cosmos care anyway?

>>91183886
Wrong, it is just when the planets align and good and evil fight it out for who gets the next 10,000 years on earth, your headcanon is showing friendo.

And if were a spiritual balancer, why is it an Ultimatum between good and evil for 10,000 years of peace or chaos. It is literally a coin toss of who can defeat who.

Nowhere is it states any sort of balancing would occur because of it. Hell, the harmonic convergence of Wan's time threw the world into chaos and got him killed even though Vaatu lost.
>>
>>91183900
>Those two things are not mutually exclusive at all. In fact, quite the opposite.
are you retarded? Something cannot be parallel to something else and part of the same thing as well.

>Saying that the spirit world doesn't overlap with the physical world in ATLA is plain incorrect. "As the solstice approaches, the natural world and the Spirit World grow closer and closer until the line between them is blurred completely." The two worlds overlapping is the canon explanation for what happens in the solstice episodes.
That's a temporary overlap that occurs only at specific times of the year. The worlds do not normally overlap, which is what you are now shifting the goalposts to claim.
>>
>>91183943
>The worlds do not normally overlap
The fact that they can at all disproves your argument. Besides, that quote implies that they are always overlapping, but sometimes closer than others.
>>
>>91183905
Oh, so you're a troll.

>>91183923
>Not just severely low quantity, effectively non-existent as a population for an extremely long time since they would all be descended from Aang.
Exactly.

>>91183931
>Wrong, it is just when the planets align and good and evil fight it out for who gets the next 10,000 years on earth, your headcanon is showing friendo.
YOUR headcanon is showing.

Harmonic Convergence is when the planets align and the portals connect and Raava(the Spirit of Light and Peace) and Vaatu(the Spirit of Chaos and Darkness) must fight for the fate of the world until the next HC. When HC comes, it can shift the energy of the world and rebalance distribution of the elements. Which it did, since we hear Korra say she's felt the world's energy shift and we see airbenders pop up out of nowhere.
>>
Watch legend of whorra. It'll explain everything.
>>
>>91183943
And overlap or no overlap, there still aren't ANY FUCKING PORTALS in the original series.
>>
>>91183977
>When HC comes, it can shift the energy of the world and rebalance distribution of the elements.

How and when is that ever established? Humans didn't get an even distribution of elements during Wan's HC.

Hell it was super unbalanced because the entire population of the air nation got airbending but not all of the other 3 nations got full access to theirs (this is the only way the entire air nation could be air benders as we are shown and told in both Roku and Aang's time.)

You're pulling that out of your ass, as that had never happened before and it wouldn't have any reason to. Why didn't humans have access to bending in the first place from all the prior harmonic convergences that occurred?
>>
>>91183965
>The fact that they can at all disproves your argument.
It doesn't.

>Besides, that quote implies that they are always overlapping, but sometimes closer than others.
No it doesn't? It quite literally states that the worlds grow closer until they overlap when the solstice occurs. That implies the worlds are normally separated, but overlap on a specific day.

>>91183978
>watch my shitty meme video it'll explain everything
how about no, shill

>>91183979
>And overlap or no overlap, there still aren't ANY FUCKING PORTALS in the original series.
We never go to the actual poles so of course we never see them. And logically knowledge of the portals or most spirit stuff would be lost to anyone who's not a historian or studies spiritual things
>>
>>91184022
Dude, if there was no portal even mentioned in the Siege of the North despite Aang specifically looking to enter the Spirit World, I'm afraid there's only one plausible explanation: it's a fucking retcon
>>
>>91184022
Explain to me how Iroh can see Aang and Roku flying above him in the spirit world. Explain how Katara was able to meet the river spirit. The worlds overlap and you know it.
>>
>>91184014
>How and when is that ever established?
Energy shift - Korra says she feels it
Rebalance distribution - visually seen in the form of new airbenders. In dialogue characters attribute it to HC, specifically to the portals being kep open

>Humans didn't get an even distribution of elements during Wan's HC.
at that point it was relatively even from what we can tell. But who knows, maybe some people were given an element randomly and we just didn't see it

Hell it was super unbalanced because the entire population of the air nation got airbending but not all of the other 3 nations got full access to theirs (this is the only way the entire air nation could be air benders as we are shown and told in both Roku and Aang's time.)
Incorrect. In Korra's time, the Air Acolytes are part of the air nation but did not receive bending(outside of a couple at the most. one confirmed individual)

>You're pulling that out of your ass, as that had never happened before and it wouldn't have any reason to.
I'm not, it's literally in the show

>Why didn't humans have access to bending in the first place from all the prior harmonic convergences that occurred?
They did, via lion turtles.
>>
>>91184036
Iroh saw the dragon only because he himself had a spiritual connection. There was no overlap there.
Powerful spirits can indeed manifest themselves in the physical world, and they don't need no stinking portals for that.
>>
>>91183977
But why whould HC give them a power that was given to them from the 4 Lion Turtles?
>>
File: 16-master-shake[1].jpg (22KB, 468x351px) Image search: [Google]
16-master-shake[1].jpg
22KB, 468x351px
Meteors did it!
>>
>>91184032
>Dude, if there was no portal even mentioned in the Siege of the North despite Aang specifically looking to enter the Spirit World,
Why would they bring up something they know is closed and useless instead of just directing him to the Spirit Oasis, which is far, far closer and easily accessible?

>I'm afraid there's only one plausible explanation: it's a fucking retcon
Nope.

>>91184036
>Explain to me how Iroh can see Aang and Roku flying above him in the spirit world.
Because he has a spiritual connection, as I've said before.

>Explain how Katara was able to meet the river spirit.
the Painted Lady crossed over into the physical world, or perhaps lives in the physical world like Tui and La

>The worlds overlap and you know it.
They overlap on the solstice. Normally they do not.
>>
>>91184067
>But why whould HC give them a power that was given to them from the 4 Lion Turtles?
because those powers were distributed among peoples? and clearly have spiritual connections?
>>
>>91184123
Where do the portals lead to when the worlds overlap?
>>
>>91184061
>specifically to the portals being kep open
portals were open during Wan's HC and all the prior ones, why did the powers not evenly distribute?

>Roku and Aang's time
Learn to read. In both Rolu and Aang's childhood and in all official books, the ENTIRE population of the air nomads were airbenders (supposedly because of spirituality, but we know that is bullshit, its all lionturtle genetics now, because otherwise Aang would have just maxed Bumi's spirit out to make him an air bender)

This would mean that EVERYONE leaving the turtle would have had to have gotten the chi magic, otherwise this would be impossible. See:
>>91183301

>They did, via lion turtles.
They temporarily possessed it. But in both Wan's HC (we know there were already large populations of firebenders in the wilds) and in the one prior to that, nobody got natural, cosmically blessed random bending.

We are lead to believe it can ONLY be gotten from Lionturtles or its genes. But now apparently the universe can nilly willy give it to people, despite it never doing that before nor never needing to because superpowers distributed by a giant condo duplex with legs isn't "cosmic energy," its just them energybending chi paths and somehow changing genetics.

Also quick tangent, if the Sun has spiritual link to firebenders, why does a comet make them even more powerful?
>>
>>91184123
Why are you arguing both sides in one post?

Also, your portal "explanation" is a pretty shitty excuse desu.
>>
>>91184140
The spirit world, just as it always does.
>>
>>91184140
Nowhere, because they don't exist outside creator-approved fanfiction.
>>
>>91184063
Yes he saw them in the spirit world because the spirit world overlaps with the physical world.
>>
>>91184179
No, that's not the reason.
>>
>>91184158
(You)
>>
>>91184179
He literally couldn't have if they didn't.
>>
>>91184181
If the spirit world didn't overlap then how could he see them, even with his spiritual connection?
>>
>>91184200
Because he can see spirits?
>>
>>91184204
But how can he see them if the spirit world wasn't even in his vicinity?
>>
>>91184183
What about me?
>>
>>91184211
The spirit was in his vicinity, just invisible to ordinary humans.
>>
>>91184221
But they were in the spirit world at that time.
>>
>>91184137
No they don't, it's not a spiritual connection anymore , it's genetic. Airbenders haven't run out it's the amount of people using the art of airbending that has dwindled.
>>
>>91184144
>portals were open during Wan's HC and all the prior ones, why did the powers not evenly distribute?
please red my whole post before responding. I addressed this above what you quoted.

>Learn to read.
Hilarious considering you ignored 99% of my post

> In both Rolu and Aang's childhood and in all official books, the ENTIRE population of the air nomads were airbenders (supposedly because of spirituality, but we know that is bullshit, its all lionturtle genetics now, because otherwise Aang would have just maxed Bumi's spirit out to make him an air bender)
Like you said, it's because they were all spiritual. and we've previously established that bending related to chi and spiritual shi.

>This would mean that EVERYONE leaving the turtle would have had to have gotten the chi magic, otherwise this would be impossible.
Correct.

>But in both Wan's HC (we know there were already large populations of firebenders in the wilds) and in the one prior to that, nobody got natural, cosmically blessed random bending.
as far as we know

>We are lead to believe it can ONLY be gotten from Lionturtles or its genes. But now apparently the universe can nilly willy give it to people, despite it never doing that before nor never needing to because superpowers distributed by a giant condo duplex with legs isn't "cosmic energy," its just them energybending chi paths and somehow changing genetics.
The universe can do it at a specific point in time(every ten thousand years) where the planets align, the spirit portals merge, and the world is engulfed in spiritual energy.

>Also quick tangent, if the Sun has spiritual link to firebenders, why does a comet make them even more powerful?
The comet is obviously not a normal comet(normal comets are cold) so Sozin's Comet is likely in some way related to the Sun or whatever makes the sun spiritual. I think it'd be interesting if future installments explore that stuff.
>>
>>91184147
>Why are you arguing both sides in one post?
I'm not?

>Also, your portal "explanation" is a pretty shitty excuse desu.
Well, what are they supposed to say?

"Hey, if you head north for a few days or so you'll find a closed spirit portal that's completely useless."
>>
>>91184239
>No they don't, it's not a spiritual connection anymore , it's genetic.
It's both you imbecile.

> Airbenders haven't run out it's the amount of people using the art of airbending that has dwindled.
No, it's a lack of very many airbenders, which also leads to a lack of people using the art
>>
>>91184123
>Why would they bring up something they know is closed and useless instead of just directing him to the Spirit Oasis, which is far, far closer and easily accessible?
Because the avatar can open the portal
>>
Everyone here needs to watch Winter Solstice pt. 1. I dare you to watch that and tell me that nothing changed about the spirit world in LoK.
>>
>>91184211
Same reason Jinora could see Bumju and the other spirits.
>>
>>91184277
>Because the avatar can open the portal
They don't know that.
>>
>>91184249
>Correct

Wow, thats really irresponsible of those fucking lion turtles. If only there was some sort of reset button.
>>
>>91184284
Those spirits had drifted into the physical world though if memory serves. Aang and Roku were in the spirit world when Iroh saw them.
>>
>>91184290
>aware they have a literal portal to the spirit world
>aware the avatar wished to enter said spirit world
>aware the avatar is the great bridge between the spirit realm and real world
>didn't even mention the fucking portal, nor see if Aang (who was a known natural at connecting with the spirits) could do something to open it

It was total asspull man, just admit it
>>
>>91184331
This.
>>
>>91184249
>Lionturtles given an entire population powers

>Denies 3 other populations majority access to them

>Somehow Wan's Harmonic Convergence didn't make everyone a bender in the world to even out the distribution

Or if you're gonna make the argument that its only DURING harmonic convergence it can happen

>Fuckton of wild firebenders out in the world while maybe 3-4 benders of the other lionturtles getting food, if they were even scavenging at the time

>Somehow there weren't a fuckton of the other 3 elements popping up

also

>1/2-1/3rd of the waterbender population gets genocided(depending on how big the swamp population is, which seems to be fairly small.

>For some reason there wasn't a spike in waterbenders to even it out

There had only been 1 generation between Katara and Korra, so there were NO water benders in the southern tribe at all. wouldn't the cosmic all balancing nice and kind and gentle and compassionate universe want to balance that out too?
>>
>>91184331
>aware they have a literal portal to the spirit world
>aware the avatar wished to enter said spirit world
>aware the avatar is the great bridge between the spirit realm and real world
>didn't even mention the fucking portal, nor see if Aang (who was a known natural at connecting with the spirits) could do something to open it
again, why would they need to mention it when the Spirit Oasis exists and is much, much closer and easier to access.

It's like if someone were to ask for directions and get told to go across one nearby bridge, even though another bridge(that's blocked off) exists several miles north.

>It was total asspull man, just admit it
It literally isn't.
>>
>>91184269
Why does HC care about airbending? Wouldn't taking bending away from humans be more a "balanced" ?
>>
>>91184361
Except the Spirit Oasis doesn't get you to the Spirit World. You still have to meditate on your own. The portal is a guaranteed conduit there, so they really should have thought to mention it.
>>
>>91184359
>Or if you're gonna make the argument that its only DURING harmonic convergence it can happen
That's what information we have leads us to conclude.

>Fuckton of wild firebenders out in the world while maybe 3-4 benders of the other lionturtles getting food, if they were even scavenging at the time
>Somehow there weren't a fuckton of the other 3 elements popping up
those firebenders were annihilated before harmonic convergence

>1/2-1/3rd of the waterbender population gets genocided(depending on how big the swamp population is, which seems to be fairly small.
>For some reason there wasn't a spike in waterbenders to even it out
by the time of HC, the Southern Tribe had recovered thanks to restoration efforts from the North.

>There had only been 1 generation between Katara and Korra,
Incorrect, there were several

>so there were NO water benders in the southern tribe at all.
again incorrect, we see many waterbenders in the southern tribe

>wouldn't the cosmic all balancing nice and kind and gentle and compassionate universe want to balance that out too?
it didn't need balancing by the time HC occurred
>>
>>91184361
>again, why would they need to mention
Because it was a LITERAL PORTAL to the spirit world
>>
>>91184361
There is no way that they wouldn't mention the spirit portals if they existed. Are you trying to claim that Bryke planned the portals all along?
>>
>>91184372
>Why does HC care about airbending? Wouldn't taking bending away from humans be more a "balanced" ?
No, because there are elements already distributed relatively evenly throughout other nations. airbending is the only one that is on the brink of extinction/total loss
>>
>>91184408
>Except the Spirit Oasis doesn't get you to the Spirit World. You still have to meditate on your own. The portal is a guaranteed conduit there, so they really should have thought to mention it.
The portal is closed, rendering it useless and they don't know the avatar could open it.

The Spirit Oasis is both closer and meditation is not an unheard of thing and something they know to try. It's a highly spiritual place, so it's easier to meditate into the Spirit World from there.

>>91184420
>Because it was a LITERAL PORTAL to the spirit world
a CLOSED portal that's completely useless

>>91184435
>There is no way that they wouldn't mention the spirit portals if they existed.
Except for the fact that it's irrelevant at that point in time. Portal is closed and takes several days to reach at the very least(probably longer considering the snowstorm at the time. The Spirit Oasis is close and accessible.

> Are you trying to claim that Bryke planned the portals all along?
No? I'm claiming that there's nothing in ATLA that says the portals could not exist.
>>
>>91184361
>the Spirit Oasis exists and is much, much closer and easier to access.
Need I remind you they had a flying bison that flew them there from the south pole?
>>
>>91184438
But bending doesn't belong to them. The HC would get rid of bending.
>>
>>91184476
>Need I remind you they had a flying bison that flew them there from the south pole?
Need I remind you that there was a snowstorm that would slow down that bison?

>>91184485
>But bending doesn't belong to them.
It was gifted to them, it belongs to them

> The HC would get rid of bending.
nope. it would balance out the distribution. like it did
>>
>>91184475
>a CLOSED portal that's completely useless
It wasn't, Aang could have opened it. If Korra and her spiritual ineptitude could open it so easily, without a doubt Aang could have done it as well
>>
>>91184504
No, it was a temporary power that they had to give back.
>>
>>91184522
>It wasn't,
It was

>Aang could have opened it. If Korra and her spiritual ineptitude could open it so easily, without a doubt Aang could have done it as well
Aang had no idea it existed or even if he could open it unlike Korra.

>>91184533
>No, it was a temporary power that they had to give back.
Not after it was given to them permanently.
>>
>>91184504
>It was gifted to them, it belongs to them
So why give it them more of a gift they squandered?

Why only airbending?

Why not give everyone bending so everyone is equal, because having 1/4th of the worlds population have superpowers it really fucking unbalanced.
>>
http://www.strawpoll.me/12644465
>>
>>91184438
No I meant completely get rid of bending, the entire thing. The whole horse.
>>
>>91184567
just voted no senpai, looks like we're winning so far
>>
>>91184561
>So why give it them more of a gift they squandered?
To protect themselves

>Why only airbending?
Airbending was the only one depleted

>Why not give everyone bending so everyone is equal, because having 1/4th of the worlds population have superpowers it really fucking unbalanced.
Air Acolytes don't have bending

>>91184577
Why would it? It's a thing that exists and is clearly important to cosmic balance
>>
>>91184504
>Need I remind you that there was a snowstorm that would slow down that bison?
Need I remind you they saved Zuko and Aang with said bison? Appa didn't give a shit.

Even if that was a reason they couldn't go, a snowstorm is not valid reason to not mention the fact that they have a fucking portal to the spirit world

You're making more asspulls than the writers did man
>>
>>91184592
the cosmos arbitrarily gave some people bending.

but only like 1/4 of the global population are benders.

How is it balanced to have 1/4th of the global population have superpowers compared the other 3/4ths.

that is literally the major reason for much of the worlds conflict and why the equalists were right.
>>
>>91184609
>Need I remind you they saved Zuko and Aang with said bison? Appa didn't give a shit.
Need I remind you that that was only a short distance?

>Even if that was a reason they couldn't go, a snowstorm is not valid reason to not mention the fact that they have a fucking portal to the spirit world
You're right. The reason they don't mention it is because it is nonfunctional and irrelevant because of the Spirit Oasis nearby that's highly spiritual. Where Aang can meditate into the spirit world easier single its a highly spiritual location.

The portal doesn't work and is far away so it doesn't get brought up. Just like the bridge example I said earlier.

>You're making more asspulls than the writers did man
I'm not making any asspulls
>>
>>91184634
>the cosmos arbitrarily gave some people bending.

To even out the distribution

>but only like 1/4 of the global population are benders.
Source?

>How is it balanced to have 1/4th of the global population have superpowers compared the other 3/4ths.
We're never told that only 1/4 are benders
>>
>>91184592
>To protect themselves
From spirits, who are unreasonably hostile.
>>
>>91184659
>To even out the distribution
Why would it do that. Why would it permanantly recognize humans as the owners of a temporary ability that was given to them to protect againts spirits
>>
>>91184706
>Why would it do that.
Because it feels it?

>Why would it permanantly recognize humans as the owners of a temporary ability that was given to them to protect againts spirits
Because the ability because permanent
>>
>>91184744
>ability because
became*
>>
>>91184744
How?
>>
>>91184659
The vast majority of people are non-benders, and throughout Atla it would only be so often we'd run into actual benders.

Even if it was split 50/50, Having any percentage of benders with nonbenders is unbalanced, because a massive portion of the population is without power while the others are.
Thread posts: 207
Thread images: 18

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.