[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What went wrong?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

File: X-men-destiny-cover-890x1024.jpg (86KB, 300x313px) Image search: [Google]
X-men-destiny-cover-890x1024.jpg
86KB, 300x313px
What went wrong?
>>
Silicon Knights leaving Nintendo behind is what went wrong.
They didn't make a single good game after doing so.
>>
>>91174692
Picking Silicon Knights as the developer.
>>
Denis Dyack
>>
>>91174692
literally what?
>>
>>Only appearance of Pixie outside comics.
>>Kill her in the game.
>>
File: PicsArt_03-26-08.56.22.jpg (481KB, 1773x1773px) Image search: [Google]
PicsArt_03-26-08.56.22.jpg
481KB, 1773x1773px
>>91176101
>This

Also making three nobody's instead of pushing exsiting muties.
>>
File: 675020-mr._immortal.jpg (471KB, 680x700px) Image search: [Google]
675020-mr._immortal.jpg
471KB, 680x700px
>>91175651
An eight hour crap game that was asking full price. It had three new mutants and three different power sets to choose from and your story was slightly different based on who you picked 4/10 max.
>>
>>91174692
They tried to make an action RPG were you can self-insert as the MC, but instead of actually letting you customize your character they give you a choice between three unlikable nobodies.
The gameplay was unpolished and shit.
The story was a joke.
Silicon Knights was a mess.

Take your pick.
>>
>>91176101
That was the moment I realized Silicon Knights deserved to die.
>>
>>91176101
Pixie had a small appearance in the Wolverine and the X-Men cartoon

But yeah I remember finding that out and laugh-crying about it. I even played the game twice to make different decisions to see if it could be avoided
>>
Why is everyone picking on Silicon Knights when I only know them for my favorite game Eternal Darkness?
>>
The DS version was amazingly bad.
>>
File: 1433270609298.jpg (170KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1433270609298.jpg
170KB, 1920x1080px
If you want me to play as a shitty OC, at least give me a Saints Row (or, fuck it, even Oblivion's or Godfather's) level of character creation/customization.
Thank you.
>>
>>91177053
They also did Blood Omen: Legacy of Kain you fucking philistine.
>>
File: Toad.jpg (90KB, 371x410px) Image search: [Google]
Toad.jpg
90KB, 371x410px
>>91176101
Good to be a Toad fan
>>91176543
What he said. Updating your mutant powers set off my autism. The whole point of mutants is you don't choose your abilities, you get what you got.
>>
>>91174692
I really like many of ideas it tried to do.

Some of them are even implemented kind of decently.

But the game is obviously rushed, devs had many problems with engine and basically it got fucked over massively.

It needed at least 2 more years of development, it's not Sonic 06 bad, but it's clearly just not finished.
>>
>>91177053
Well, Silicon Knights haven't had a good track record with 7th gen consoles. First there's Too Human, now this. And they haven't been doing anything but blaming Unreal Engine to justify their fuck ups.

Although, I really have zero doubts Activision mandates definitely fucked them over too.
>>
>>91177027
IIRC Network, of all characters, got at least a supporting 1 episode role in that show.

But yeah the game failed because, supposedly, Silicon Knights was leading along Activision so they could siphon money from them so they could create/work on an Eternal Darkness sequel meaning that the production for X-Men Destiny was an underfunded mess.
>>
>>91177421
Samefag but to expand, basically some anonymous sources claimed, from how I remember it, that Dyack and SK were lying to Activision about progress so they could continue getting money from Activision that was supposed to go towards Destiny but instead was being redirected towards Eternal Darkness 2. Dyack himself claims that wasn't the case at all and that the Disney buying Marvel resulted in a reduced budget that Dyack kept from the employees in order to avoid killing morale.
>>
As >>91176101 said, best girl dies
>>
Didn't Kotaku have a pretty indepth article about this game?
>>
>>91174692
>>91177412

Believe it or not, this was actually one of the cases where Activision wasnt in the wrong.

I read a pretty in-depth article about it a long time ago, the tl;dr is

> Silicon Knights hired to make a X-Men game
> They wanted to work on Eternal Darkness 2
> Completely took the budget from the X-Men game that was being developed by their C Team in order to invest on Eternal Darkness
> Kept asking for more money and time from Activison
> Eventually, Activision realises where the money has been going
> Publicly announces the game, Silicon Knights' involvement as the developer and gives a release date to force them to work and stop wasting money
> Suddenly Silicon Knights is forced to actually work on it, with very little money and time left

Bonus

> On the same day the game was announced, Activision or one of the higher ups made a thread setting a Q&A about the game
> Silicon Knights never answered the thread, which helped people realise it was basically vaporware at this point
>>
>>91179739
Yo, that's fucked up.
>>
>>91177421
>IIRC Network, of all characters, got at least a supporting 1 episode role in that show.
Yeah I think Kyle and Yost were producers/writers on that show

Which explains why Rockslide had a cameo in the opening, Dust has a supporting role in like 2 different episodes, Mercury was one of the Acolytes, Hellion was part of the storyline set in the future, and there were four X-23s.

It makes me wonder if they regretted killing Network
>>
>>91179739
>>91181438
And here's the kicker

Since then Eternal Darkness 2, real title Shadow of the Eternals, has had 2 failed kickstarters
>>
>>91179739

I probably read the same article as you did so I don't have a lot more to add than that.

I own the game, which I bought on Ebay long after the fact, happily for only $10 or so. There were definitely good things ABOUT it. Mike Carey wrote the story and dialogue and I loved his run on X-Men, and there are some entertaining visual effects and such.

But it's so obviously unfinished, so sloppy, it's agonizing. I remember in the second or third area there's some canals or something like that filled with water. I decided, just out of curiosity, to jump in, to see if there were swimming mechanics or if my character would just automatically come back to shore or what. Here's what happened instead:

My character hits the "surface" of the "water," which I realize as I get closer is literally just a static image, like a JPG. It's not even animated. When I hit, there's no splash animation or anything. My character passes through this one-pixel layer of "water" and is now falling in free-fall down a bottomless pit with no water resistance, no water effects or anything, and then dies upon hitting the black 'out of bounds' area at the end.

I removed the game from my PS3, put it back in its package and have never felt tempted to play it again.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.