[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Batgirl Annual #1 Storytime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 153
Thread images: 47

>>
File: Batgirl (2016-) 001 - Annual-001.jpg (819KB, 1987x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Batgirl (2016-) 001 - Annual-001.jpg
819KB, 1987x3056px
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>91132804
Tumblr.
>>
>>91132822

>dat babs butt

My reactions exactly supergirl.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
Tfw they weren't rescuing Saturn Girl after all
>>
>>
>>
>>
That's it for story 1.
>>
>>
This is the artist for June's issue, which is nice I suppose.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>91133051
Thanks for nothing Batgirl and whoever came up with this useless prelude.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>91132993
Ah, so this has nothing to do with the Legion. Cool, means I don't have to waste my time on Supergirl or Batgirl.

You are a fucking trooper, OP.
>>
>>
End of story 2.
>>
>>91132804
>I am a super-strong Illegal alien. There are lots of Americans who will take any excuse to hate people like me

Okay Superman
>>
>>91133346
It seems like the Emerald Empress will be appearing in the next Supergirl issue, maybe Gayle will become her in some way. And then maybe they will do something with Imra after Dark Days? She wasn't mentioned in the June solicitations but they can't just leave it hanging forever.
>>
>>91133346
You'll still have to pick up the next issue of Supergirl unless solicits lie again
>>
The end

>>91133406
Nah, Gayle seems to be connected to the Phantom King arc that starts in May.
>>
Thank You.
>>
>>91133431
I guess that makes more sense.
>>
>>91132849
>>91133390
Do you pol faggots cry anytime something even remotely goes against your little beliefs?
>>
>>91132707
Has Batgirl ever been in a good comic?
>>
>>91132770

Supergirl is so smol.
>>
>>91133051

1. Why does the writing feel so bad on this issue?

2. How would that last panel even work? People can't heart leetspeak, it's visual.
>>
>>91134193
>H three four T V one five one O N
>W H four T three V three R
And then I guess they're both oh so smart so they can instantly translate that into plain English and come up with a witty response on the spot?
>>
>>91134036
Maybe, this shit sure isn't it.
>>
>>91133861
I'm not even remotely /pol/ but that was hamfisted as fuck. Nor does it match the superfamily backstory.
>>
>>91133413
>unless solicits lie again

What were they?

Any indication of when we have kara meeting clark?
>>
>>91134297
>A “Superman Reborn Aftermath” tie-in! Superman and Supergirl meet again for the first time to face the evil of the Emerald Empress! Plus, what does it mean for the Girl of Tomorrow when tomorrow promises a Dark Knight? Shocking revelations, all-powerful sorceresses from the future, the Batgirl of Burnside and dinner in the Wild West—they’re all here in this amazing issue!

They technically already met at the end of last issue.
>>
>>91132728
>>91132748

>within the first 2 pages we have a villain who's a conservative anti-environment parody

yep, this is a batgirl book alright.
>>
That was dull, to be honest. Has the Batgirl series been any good at all since DC Rebirth started?
>>
This is basically DC's containment book eh
>>
>>91134858
Batgirl has been bad since nu52 started at least.
>>
>>91132958
>Noo...and, um, kiiind of racist?

How?
>>
not gonna read any of this until someone tells me there's some sweet /u/ material in here
>>
>>91134951
Supergirl gives Babs a wedgie, Supergirl gets her chest touched by another female and Babs goes out on a date with her female friend. That's about as gay as it gets.
>>
>>91133051
Felt pretty useless, sadly.

>>91133083
I love Carlini's art. Not so much this painfully generic story.

>>91134036
Batgirl Year One

>>91134868
Containing who? Or just containing Burnside?
>>
>>91134036
Early Batgirl comics were zany fun bronze age. Post crisis Bab's had some good adult issues before Moore crippled her.

Puckett of Batman adventures fame wrote four issues of Babsgirl drawn by terry dodson and jim talent across her career. Bat and Cat is an amazing and Dixon's Year one is the definitive Barbara Gordon Origin.
>>
>>91135454

But Barbara has never been the best Batgirl storywise. She's a Barry Allen type in that her successors outshone her.
>>
>>91135188
Nothing wrong with generic, everything wrong with bland and unfunny.
>>
>>91135492

Cass Cain had an 80+ issue run, more than half of those being Adventure tier.

Stephanie Brown's run was 24 issues of joy. light hearted, apolitical, and not afraid to have Batsteph get her shit wrecked.
>>
>>91134910
>star trek reference
>aliens
>"so, you guys work like Spock, right?"

Same thing as assuming Mexicans are fast because of Speedy Gonzales
>>
>>91135518
But both of these stories were that. Only really good thing was Carlini's art.

>>91135566
Freaking amen, anon.
>>
>>91134036
Batgirl of vurnside was pretty good.
>>
>>91135791
It's a pretty stupid comparison though because Kryptonians aren't defined by the fact that they're emotionally distant and smart. Coluans or the Psions, on the other hand...
>>
>>91135566
Stephenie brown as Batgirl was just blonde Barbara.
>>
>>91135809
I agree, but my problem isn't with the story, but the mechanics.
>>
>>91135961
No, she wasn't. Batsteph never beat Dick Grayson or out detected Tim Drake. She got put in her place more than once and had to struggle and scrape for any attention.
>>
>>91135989
Mechanics?

>>91135961
Have you ever read Steph's comics?
>>
>>91136021
>no she wasn't
Yes she was, they took everything that made Stephenie Stephenie and just made her Blonde Barbara.
>gone is the white trash background
>instead she's upper middle class college age girl known for her plucky determination.
>>
>>91136138
Have you? And I mean wheb she was Stephenie brown and not blonde Barbara.
>>
>>91136138
JoeK, for example, took a generic Superman Batman plot from the Bronze age in S/B annual 1-2 and made a very entertaining book. This takes a plot from bat/Super teams going back into the 90's.

The difference is in the execution. Writing memorable dialogue and character interaction.
>>
reminder that harper row is just reverse roy harper
>>
>>91136205
Yup. I've read every single issue on this list:
http://stephaniebrown.wikia.com/wiki/Chronology

>>91136180
Nope. They didn't make Steph a supergenius with a supermemory and supercop dad.

>>91136241
I'm still not following - Babs and Alysia's dialogue and interactions still aren't very memorable, though possibly slightly moreso than Babs and Kara.
>>
>>91136298
But they did make her into a blonde barbara.
>>
>>91136384
Supergenius supermemory supercop daughter.

Normal girl, struggling with money, villain dad, finding acceptance for the first time.

Yup, exactly the same.

Try harder, anon.
>>
>>91136428
Maybe you should actually read some of Barbara time as Batgirl and educate yourself. Stephanie is a direct copy of her back in Batgirl year one.
>>
>>91132748
this is so bad but the art is so good :( fml
>>
>>91134036
Barbara? Nothing recently. Her time back is a fucking waste.
>>
>>91136428
>Normal girl
She was when she was spoiler, her time as Batgirl had her dramatically punching outside her weight class.
>sttuggling with money
Not as her time as Batgirl, she was comfortably middle class just like Barbara was.
Really think about this anon. If she wasn't meant to be a blonde barbara then why make her Batgirl? Why not have Bryan q Miller write a spoiler book instead?
>>
>>91132804
ty OP for posting but dropping here. It's so bad
>>
>>91135566
Superior choices.
>>
>>91136180
Stephanie spent the first issues in her best friend's outfit than make her own. She was still middle class as fuck in her ongoing. Just that Bruce and Babs spoiled her with new toys and trips.
>>
>>91136664
So they were the ones who made her into a Spoiler
>>
>>91136497
I actually own Batgirl Year One, and love it. And despite being written by Chuck Dixon and Scott Beatty, the former who created Steph, their personalities and skills are not anything like the same. Seriously, what part of "supergenius supermemory supercop daughter" is a direct copy of "normal villain's daughter"?

Why do you fail so hard, anon?
>>
>>91136566
1) she beat two A or B list supervillains - Scarecrow and Clayface, both in reasonable ways. The only time you could see her punching over her weight class is Livewire, but that was clearly an animated series joke (plus, Babs basically did the same thing in Burnside).
2) What part of "has to work in the library to pay for college" instead of "supergenius scholarship" skipped over your head? Also, that really burned my brownies, since Bruce Wayne gives out scholarships to his elevator boys - why not Steph?

She was made Batgirl because she'd earned it, and Cass didn't have someone to champion her after her character was effectively wrecked. Dixon could have kept Cass going and written a Spoiler book (and really wanted to do both), but DC fired his ass.
>>
>>91138499
>Supergenius with a supermemory
That's Oracle, Barbara as Batgirl isn't a supergenius with a supercomputer mind.
>>
>>91136572
How do you feel about the Birds of Prey title, anon?

>>91138724
Seriously? Both Batgirl Year One, Simone's run, Burnside, and the Larson run are making a big deal of her supermemory.
>>
File: 1406127957569.jpg (188KB, 846x548px) Image search: [Google]
1406127957569.jpg
188KB, 846x548px
>>91138724
>Barbara as Batgirl isn't a supergenius

Wrong.
>>
>>91138643
>Scarecrow
>A-list
I love the character but anyone with a gas mask can beat him up. Hell sometimes you don't even need the mask, so many characters have been able to just ignore the gas.
>>
File: jeez1.jpg (130KB, 660x1024px) Image search: [Google]
jeez1.jpg
130KB, 660x1024px
>>91138643
>She was made Batgirl because she'd earned it, and Cass didn't have someone to champion her after her character was effectively wrecked. Dixon could have kept Cass going and written a Spoiler book (and really wanted to do both), but DC fired his ass.

It also didn't help that Cassandra was written by the dude who did her worst stories to effectively nuke her.

Still, you act like Stephanie was always the choice after Cassandra's mini bombed hard.
>>
>>91138643
>has to work in the library to pay for college.
I get it, Batgirl is a college librarian just loke before but it doesn't really help the case that's she's basically a blonde Barbara.
>>
>>91138643
Don't you just hate it when the poor try to rise above their station? ~ Bruce Wayne, Probably.
>>
File: 2m5cm6o.jpg (277KB, 1015x1599px) Image search: [Google]
2m5cm6o.jpg
277KB, 1015x1599px
When the fact of the matter is that Barbara was going to be back in the role during Battle for the Cowl event.

BoP and Nightwing literally teased that Barbara was coming back as Batgirl. Why Stephanie's ongoing was one of the last Battle for the Cowl book that debuted.

They had no idea what direction to take the title after Beechen effectively finished the job in making people not want to read Cassandra.
>>
>>91138932
> big plans.

I hate those words when tied with Cassandra because that means limbo for years till we actually see her.
>>
>>91138643
>Dixon could have kept Cass going and written a Spoiler book (and really wanted to do both), but DC fired his ass.

Because he refused to play along with the Batman RIP and Batman/Robin crossovers when the new editor on the Batbooks had made it the cornerstone of his new strategy of increasing the sales on the Batbooks. They basically made an example of him.
>>
>>91138932
>Why Stephanie's ongoing was one of the last Battle for the Cowl book that debuted.

Supposedly Paul Levitz stepped in and said no to undoing Oracle.
>>
>>91138810
That's why I said A OR B list. And I also emphasized that it was a reasonable way, not a shocking new level of power for Steph.

>>91138866
I'm not saying Cass deserved it, man. She didn't. But Steph was the logical choice if they weren't going to get Babs out of the chair - best friends with Cass, trained by Tim, Babs, and Bruce.
>>
>>91138873
Repetition isn't an argument, anon. Please...just give some actual evidence.
>>
>>91132784
>first panel is just a scaled down version of the second

I know it shouldn't bother me but it's so fucking lazy
>>
>>91133041
>starlight is weaker than sunlight
that's not how your fucking powers work. It be less stupid to say you were effected by the moonlight, at least that's yellow sun energy being reflected off the moon
>>
>>91132822
>WAIT!
>I need to take a picture of an ass that foyne.
>>
>>91138993

Yes, she was the logical choice. But the way editorial dumped her character to limbo was just wrong. It's the only slight I have against the marvelous ongoing Stephanie had. We had her dominated by Cassandra's shadow throughout the opening and not once did we get an appearance of her best friend proud of her.

Fucking DC Editorial at that time.
>>
>>91132993
>>91133012
So... who is this then?
Tomorrow Woman, maybe? She had TK, TP, and short black hair.
>>
>>91133051
And that's it for me.
I was only here for the Legion, and I got bupkiss.
>>
>>91132804
there goes the spine again
>>
I wish Barbara would go back to being Oracle. She served a unique role instead being just another cape. And she acted like a goddamned adult too. And she didn't bore me to death as Oracle, where as Batgirl is just unremarkable as an identity.
>>
>>91132804

Someone should do a SNAP with that hugging panel.
>>
>>91139321
>Oracle acted like an adult
Cause she was, she was over 30.
>>
>>91135566
Double dubs of truth
>>
>>91139121
it probably wasn't editorial's choice. the choices made by the reboot was made by those above them.
>>
>>91139566

I'm talking battle for the cowl not New 52.
>>
>>91139121
I completely agree - Cass's shafting, including in Steph's run, was bad. Some Cass fans have said Cass should have stuck around, but I disagree - she would have made it impossible for Steph to truly become Batgirl if she'd been a series regular. However, Cass coming back and approving of her would have been really good.
>>
>>91139640
Technically, Batman Reborn was a soft reboot. At least in the way DC was approaching marketing and the ongoing titles it launched. No continuity was explicitly erased, but the status quo was completely, utterly different, with new figures in nearly every role.
>>
>>91139656

True but just one panel or page of her giving Steph a thumbs up would have made up for it.
>>
>>91139656
They could have worked with a Batgirl team book. I know someone who has approached DC about that around that time with that idea of multiple Batgirls with Oracle guiding them.
>>
>>91139694
Agreed. A real shame - though if BQM had continued, at least we would have gotten the Three Batgirls In WWII time travel story. :(
>>
>>91139803

More than that. Cassandra would have had a bigger role beyond just the WWII story.
>>
>>91139801
>>91139801
I would have been okay with that, but it wasn't what we got, and almost certainly wouldn't have happened unless Grant Morrison wanted it to happen. Two characters with the same codename is kinda tricky, sales and marketingwise.
>>
>>91139457
And this new version of Babs in what, mid-20s? And yet she acts like a fuckin' teenager.

I'm sick of so many female-led books being womanchild bullshit. It's a sad day when I'm wishing for Kate Spencer to come back. She was a total fuck up most of the time, but at least she acted her age, and was actually trying to get shit done.
>>
Thank you.
>>
>>91139947
Man, I loved Manhunter. Good stuff.

Black Canary doesn't seem like a womanchild, though.
>>
>>91140256
I feel like DC only really tried the womanchild thing with Babs. Starfire's book dumbed her down but still felt somewhat mature.
>>
>>91140256
Mainly because she balances Green Arrow, the manchild of the pair.
>>
>>91136298
I'm not going to dignify that.
>>
>>91132804
>people will hurt me because i'm an illegal alien
>not because i broke into a high-security blacksite to steal something

Go back to Marvel, Kara
>>
>>91138643
>>91138724

I'm not going to get too deep into this. SimoneBatgirl was a preachy, edgy, SJW Mary Sue that could make anyone gag

BurnsidesBatgirl keeps the worst SJWMary Sue elements but exchanges the dark edgy tone for lol random and quirk humor you might see in Hellcat or Squirrel Girl.

She is still the upper middle class daughter of a police Chief and her mom, a stable nuclear family. She received immediate acceptance from the Batbunch and has overcome little adversity.
>>
>>91138724
She is, but more importantly, Babs is indecently secure with herself. She has no deficiencies, no one calls her on her shit. She goes to college and gets to do whatever the hell she wants without any supervision.
>>
>>91140446
True - I really enjoyed Kori's book.

>>91140455
Excellent point.
>>
>>91140576
Well done, anon. You have skewered all of my arguments.

>>91140709
This line was indeed really obnoxious.

>>91140712
This is all very true. I'm just not sure how it relates to the point at hand?
>>
>>91133389
Beautiful art.
>>
>>91133071
>On paper Mr. Hong's above revenge-site data parasites with freaky headgear.

Am I having a stroke or is that word bubble complete gibberish?
>>
>>91140712
>BurnsidesBatgirl keeps the worst SJWMary Sue elements
No it didn't, stop falling for memes.
>>
>>91142970
It was pretty SJW, though more in "representation" than preachiness.
>>
>>91143069
How was it "sjw" in representation?
>>
>>91143193
Literally every new good character was at least one progressive stack checkbox.
>>
>>91143312
Your criticism of the book is that they had diversity?
>>
>>91143312
But each character has more than just progressive points goong for them.
>>
>>91132845
What the hell is up with these faces?
>>
>>91133861
Of course they do.
>>
>>91133390
>>91134285
You do realize that people don't fear Superman because he is a total boyscout? They'd be terrified of him if he would be breaking to prisons and beating people up without explanation.
Thread posts: 153
Thread images: 47

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.