/script>
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Lucifer gets a new writer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 11

File: lucifer-14.jpg (93KB, 864x1328px) Image search: [Google]
lucifer-14.jpg
93KB, 864x1328px
Science fiction novelist Richard Kadrey is taking over Lucifer. He's also read all of Carey's run so it might be pretty fun. Could someone give me a summary of whats happened in Holly Black's issues? I didn't read them. Anyone excited for this at all?
>>
File: lucifer-15-cover.jpg (56KB, 864x1327px) Image search: [Google]
lucifer-15-cover.jpg
56KB, 864x1327px
>>
I gave up after the first trade (six or so issues) because it was making me NOT MUH way too hard.
>>
>>91124818
>not mike carey

cool. cool. so i don't give a fuck. thanks.
>>
>>91124818

There's nothing left to do with the character, they just want to cash in on popularity and tv show
>>
>>91124818
>Could someone give me a summary of whats happened in Holly Black's issues? I didn't read them. Anyone excited for this at all?

It was shit.
>>
File: Lucifer.png (3MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
Lucifer.png
3MB, 1920x1080px
>>91124818

This coming from the worlds biggest Luciferfag.

They don't hold even a candle to the older series, as is usually the way with these things. HOWEVER. It's not completely awful. But I did get a huge sense of >>91125068

>Could someone give me a summary of whats happened in Holly Black's issues? I didn't read them.

>Lucifer shows up returned to the multiverses, fucked up and injured by something. He learns that Yahweh has been killed.

>Insert a fair few issues of nothing much happening.

>Gods back. Turns out he's not dead, but evil? Or something changed him. Hasn't really been explained.

>NotGod wants to remove all free will, makes a new Michael who is a mindless drone. Almost all angels, being already being nearly mindless drones as is, fall in line.

>Lucifer gets his Morningstar powers back, thanks to Elaine. But Mazikeen gets to keep her version of them too, I guess?

>Lucifer tricks NotGod into thinking Elaine is plotting against him, by using the Basanos future prediction, drawing her into a conflict she didn't want to be part of. Everyone is plotting against everyone.

That's about it so far. Meh at best and pointless and insulting at worst. Doesn't need to happen.

Hopefully this new guy has some respect for the series and the character, but as>>91125189 said, there's nothing more that needed to be done with Lucifer. He had his story and it was told near flawlessly.
>>
File: blackluci.jpg (1MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
blackluci.jpg
1MB, 1988x3056px
>>91125379

How does one get so much wrong with a character in a single page from the first issue?

I'm the "not muh" guy, but thanks for the summary. I might read more of it if I get really bored of other stuff. I had just finished reading the the original run again when I read the first trade of the new series, and man was it characterisation whiplash
>>
>>91125526
It was burned and salted earth from the first page. Lucifer comes back and people start acting bad (tee hee). Literally against everything the original was about.
>>
>>91125638

sometimes hacks get dropped into good properties and settle on doing the easiest thing possible to distinguish theirs from the great thing that came before.
>>
>>91125638
It really reads like Black only read the wikipedia summary of the basic plot, and if you have ever looked at that, the summary skips over large chunks of the actual story, and focuses on the character's history in the DCU.

She even got the Sandman lore wrong, as in characters believe that Morpheus still rules the Dreaming
>>
File: 7.jpg (3MB, 1944x4600px) Image search: [Google]
7.jpg
3MB, 1944x4600px
>>91125526
>I had just finished reading the the original run again when I read the first trade of the new series, and man was it characterisation whiplash

I did the exact same thing. Even bought the new-ish five softcover volumes. 'Character whiplash' is a good way to put it.

Makes me kind of mad, to be honest. If they're gonna make a new series, they should have just forked out the cash and got Carey back, as at least then even with the pandering to the tv show and popularity, you would have someone who gets the character.
>>
It basically reads like someone giving the premise of Lucifer running a nightclub from Sandman and making it into a CW show.
>>
>>91125656
I always wonder what the writers say about these kinds of things. To my knowledge no writer has ever responded to criticism by improving themselves. One that at least acknowledged a weakness would be nice.
>>
>>91125709
>they should have just forked out the cash and got Carey
What does Carey do these days?
>>
>>91124818
Who cares? This series is shit anyway.
>>
>>91125705
>She even got the Sandman lore wrong, as in characters believe that Morpheus still rules the Dreaming
I hade somehow always assumed editors at DC were better than at Marvel but what the fuck. This is straight up sacrilege.
>>
>>91125773
He got that book about zombies made into a movie, and finished off The Unwritten a little while back, I imagine that he is working on some other unannounced book or comic book right now
>>91125709
I fucking love those softcovers, even though I only have the first two so far. I really like DC reprinting 10-16 issues of old Vertigo stuff in bunches
>>
File: morph.jpg (548KB, 1800x2767px) Image search: [Google]
morph.jpg
548KB, 1800x2767px
>>91125811
Vertigo is so gutted right now that I don't think anyone is even really looking at the books right now
>>
File: Sandman Slim.jpg (60KB, 559x823px) Image search: [Google]
Sandman Slim.jpg
60KB, 559x823px
>>91124818
>Science fiction novelist Richard Kadrey
>Science fiction
The thing he's known for is a Paranormal Mystery/Action series called Sandman Slim about a dude who crawls back out of Hell ( because reasons ).

It's somewhere between Lucifer ( the mythology ) and Hellblazer ( the main character has Constantine's bitter nihilism but he's also got Blade levels of Billy Badass going on ).

It also needs to be said that, like a lot of these types of series, it crawls further and further up it's own asshole the longer it goes on. Once he took things back to Hell it because really clear he had absolutely no fucking idea what to do ( sorta like the episodes of the show Supernatural where they go to Purgatory and it's ... just the fucking woods outside Vancouver ).

TL;DR I'm not holding my breath.
>>
File: 1365101760427.png (1MB, 919x720px) Image search: [Google]
1365101760427.png
1MB, 919x720px
>>91126013
welp, sudoku time it seems, then.
>>
>>91125741

It's an unenviable position to be in and as a writer would make me feel insecure knowing how loved the previous series was.
>>
>>91126093
I'd feel more sympathy for this person but clearly she didn't even read the old series. Makes me wonder if she really knows that they're loved or why cause she obviously didn't try at all.
>>
>>91125705
>>91125741

With Flashpoint theu'll just say Morpheus is back. Because fuck it all.
>>
>>91125827

In the interim he did Suicide Risk. 35ish issue comic from Boom. Concept looked really interesting, but I haven't gotten to it.

He's done more books. His actual novist career seems to be finally taking off. Good for him.

His notConstantine novels seemed play
>>
>>91126386
That still makes me REEEEE because the Sandman/Lucifer crowd are miles above being affected by flashpoint. Its below their pay grade.
>>
>>91126450

I agree. A lot of universal fundamentals got effected for no good reason. Stupid editorial bullshit is the ultimate cancer.
>>
>>91126211

Reading all the old graphic novels would have taken a week of casual reading too.
>>
The new editons of the old trades actually include all the covers, right? If I recall, the old ones were missing a few.
>>
>>91126479
DC didn't deserve them.
>>
>>91124818
Whats up with Jan Constantine?
>>
File: Beforewatchmen_rorschach.jpg (71KB, 260x400px) Image search: [Google]
Beforewatchmen_rorschach.jpg
71KB, 260x400px
>>91126524
>DC is house to all time great works of literature in comics
>doesn't respect them
What else is new?
>>
>>91126524
At the same time, DC was ignoring all the developments in the Vertigo universe pretty much as soon as Morrison finished his Dream JLA arc. They even had Keith Giffen rearrange Hell in a miniseries:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reign_in_Hell

If editorial at that time cared about the Vertigo stuff, they would have noticed that Elaine had vowed to completely restructure the idea of hell (which I guess could technically fit in the Giffen stuff, but that would not be the way she would do it in my opinion)
>>
>>91126579

The kicker to me is they actually got talent on Before Watchmen. Not editorial yes men, but actually good writers and artists. Weird.
>>
>>91126607

I have no clue why DC started acting like the Vertigo stuff didn't exist. I guess too many non universe titles like Preacher and Tranmet made them short circuit on what other series actually were.

And then that retarded Flashpoint page happened.
>>
>>91124818
Is that female Constantine on the cover? Someone explain that to me, please.
>>
>>91126705
No, she's just an OC donut steel they used cause I guess the couldn't get the real deal.

Arabelle Crane
>>
>>91126763

There is an art to dumb comic names that don't seem stupid at first blush and stick with you. This misses the mark. I'm not sure how, but it's wrong somehow.
>>
>>91126607
>They even had Keith Giffen rearrange Hell in a miniseries:
>If editorial at that time cared about the Vertigo stuff, they would have noticed that Elaine had vowed to completely restructure the idea of hell (which I guess could technically fit in the Giffen stuff, but that would not be the way she would do it in my opinion)

It was less "caring" and more a power play to assert control over Vertigo properties. This is where you had Didio "trading" creeper for Animal Man, then taking Swamp Thing and Constantine in Brightest Day.
>>
File: careyintro.jpg (1MB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
careyintro.jpg
1MB, 1080x1920px
>>91126683
I feel especially bad for Carey, because it seems clear that no one in DC editorial ever payed attention to the stuff he was writing. One of the bigger slaps in the face is that Black is using Gabriel in the book, a character that he very specifically chose not to use in his series because he was trying his best to tie Hellblazer and Sandman to Lucifer.

I hope he's getting some royalty money from the TV show and the new trades at least
>>
File: 1470380068978.gif (492KB, 400x220px) Image search: [Google]
1470380068978.gif
492KB, 400x220px
>>91126763
Oh for fuck's sake.
>>
>>91126840
>I hope he's getting some royalty money from the TV show and the new trades at least
Fucking doubt it. Even when Moore had a contract about merchandise they didn't pay him.
>>
Hey that movie Carey wrote comes out on BD in a month. High RT score at least.
>>
>>91124818
The new writer already took over. It still sucks, the last issue ended with a cliffhanger that borrowed from the show's plot.
>>
>DC can't get Carey to write Lucifer again
>hire some dude named Kadrey hoping nobody will notice
Pretty sure that's a new low.
>>
>>91126932
Moore is a notorious liar. If he had a real case he would be in court, with how he rails against these faggots and all the time he has.
>>
>>91126607
What if we just assume Reign In Hell took place some time before Elaine became God?
>>
>>91126932
I doubt they wouldn't give someone royalties for a fucking TV show.
>>
>>91124818
Is that a female Constantine?
>>
>>91124818
is metrophage any good?
Thread posts: 50
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.