[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is Octopus Pie turning into another Questionable Content? It

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 260
Thread images: 34

File: 2017-03-27[1].png (441KB, 600x897px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-27[1].png
441KB, 600x897px
Is Octopus Pie turning into another Questionable Content?
It was pretty politically neutral like 90% of the time, now it's getting pretty pander-y and sjw-y.
>>
>>91091519
Oh yeah. Roller Derby is a bridge too far.
>>
>>91091519
>Is Octopus Pie turning into another Questionable Content?
No, in order to do that the art would have to degrade substantially.
>>
Yep, hating Nazis sure is SJW-y.
>>
>>91091821
Hey guys I found this great new way to violently suppress opposing opinions while keeping the moral high ground. Just call anyone you disagree with nazis
>>
>>91091873
Where in this comic is that implied to be what they're doing?
>>
I doubt it's pandering. Being involved in the webcomic scene does things to people
>>
>>91091950
Potato Potatoes Tomato Tomatoes.

The end results are identical, and it's the end result we get stuffed in our face.
>>
>>91091938
What do you think is most likely to be the case? An all-female roller derby team going around punching actual neo-nazis or going around punching people with MAGA hats?
>>
File: slam_character_designs.jpg (173KB, 612x416px) Image search: [Google]
slam_character_designs.jpg
173KB, 612x416px
>>91091540
I agree with your sentiment but I do wonder why it's always fucking roller derby. Why not Rugby? Or hockey. OR anything else but Roller Derby when it comes to showing how girls can do rough sports too. It's cliche.

Maybe it's just an excuse to draw women in skimpy costumes and call it empowerment.
>>
>>91091950
Well, pandering does seem to be the case. First an interracial lesbian couple that constantly get the spotlight despite being some of the worst characters in the comic, then Eve's male coworker becoming trans, now all this nazi-punching shit...
>>
>>91092157
>Eve's male coworker becoming trans
what? when did this happen?
>>
>>91092155
because it's set in the city, is an indoor sport, has a level of ironic detachment packaged into it, has a cartoonish and over-the-top culture associated with it similar to professional wrestling, etc

it just checks too many boxes if you are a metropolitan young-adult
>>
>>91092119

In one of the previous chapters rival coffee shops engaged in streetfighting. It's not entirely out of the ordinary that they could punch Indiana Jones style Nazis.
>>
>>91092001
>stuffed in our face

c:\Windows\System32\Drivers\etc\hosts
Open With > Notepad
127.0.0.1 www.octopuspie.com
Save Changes
>>
>>91092119
Octopus pie is pretty off kilter and fun, the chance of actual nazi's is entirely possible.
>>
I can't stand Meredith's hand-lettering
>>
>>91092255
Apparently "Jackie" is Jacob as a woman. When he quits Olly's he leaves saying that he needs to "figure some stuff out", and pic related also makes it seem the case with the blond girl saying that she "REALLY likes girls" now that Jacob became one.

Also the fact that everyone knows who that person is despite this being the first time "Jackie" appears in the comic.

>>91092372
Hm so it's pure coincidence that they're talking about punching Nazis despite the recent popularity of "punch a Nazi" crap among the left, as well as the fact that NY is an extremely left-winged state. They're actually fighting literal nazis.
>>
File: 2017-03-24[1].png (479KB, 600x925px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-24[1].png
479KB, 600x925px
>>91092255
>>91092446
Forgot pic lel

>>91092429
There's literally a guy with an antifa hoodie in the first page of this arc.
>>
I don't see Meredith taking a hard stance on the Antifa's one way or the other. Seems like she's just reflecting the attitudes of her contemporaries through tertiary characters just as she did in the early Octopie.

And the vibes have shifted over the past decade. Many have gone from "chill hipsters" with ironic detachment against young corporate yuppies to militant hardos against alt-right nimrods. Same shit, different decade.

In a way it's poignant. The changes that are actually real is the belief politic or style, but how they interact with others or come about their beliefs. Jones is still a tryhard, overly serious type but now she can channel it into antifa stuff or roller derby rather than nursing grade school beefs.
>>
>>91091519
punching nazis sounds fun
>>
File: 1420823947691.jpg (123KB, 572x303px) Image search: [Google]
1420823947691.jpg
123KB, 572x303px
>>91092670
Huh.
>>
>>91091519
>getting pretty pander-y and sjw-y
>Octopus Pie
>getting
You are fucking retarded OP.
>>
>>91092670
Representing contemporary ideals is fine, as long as more than one gets represented. Then it seems like that's the one you agree with.

Like Willis' hate on for religion and dads.
>>
File: f9f.jpg (71KB, 720x717px) Image search: [Google]
f9f.jpg
71KB, 720x717px
>>91092718
It's all fun and games until you hear someone yell "FLAMMENWERFER!"
>>
>>91092446
Jacob was covered in tattoos, that woman has none. You've got a fan cannon there, friendo.

Octopus Pie takes place in a NYC and the protagonists are young people, of course their friends are multi ethnic. I agree that Marigold being bisexual came the fuck out of nowhere and her and the other girl have no arc, but nothing else about the comic is terribly pandering.
>>
I don't know how anyone could apparently be reading Oct Pie and think that it wouldn't take a liberal position, or that that would be a new development. It's the same comic it's always been. Maybe you should think about why you seem to be noticing it now.

>>91093058
A creator definitely isn't obliged to make things well rounded; very few do. Whether or not you want to read that is the decision.
>>
>>91093144
>Maybe you should think about why you seem to be noticing it now.

Because someone posted this thread and I like to argue about comic production. Not necessarily read them.
>>
>>91092718
Well yeah, course it does.
Good clean honest fun.

But punching dickwads who are a lil bit racist, old out of touch people or weird religious shouty douche nozzles and claiming you've punched a nazi?
Balls.

They're not nazis.
They're nazi lite.
Diet nazi.
The tofu burgers hiding in the barbecue of full meaty fascism.
that makes them the antifa equivalent of vegans, and nobody like vegans.
>>
>>91093058
By contemporary I meant her contemporaries. Meredith is much more likely to know and interact with people into Jones's ideals than MAGAs. I prefer it this way, she is writing what she knows and not throwing in some strawman to be knocked down, unlike Willis.
>>
>>91093086
take it back to 9gag you piece of shit
>>
>>91093256
But that's why we have the internet.

I've gone from watching Terf videos to watching trans positive videos in the same day. Learning about people is interesting.
>>
File: 863.jpg (43KB, 480x480px) Image search: [Google]
863.jpg
43KB, 480x480px
>>91093302
Nein.
>>
>>91093356
It can be, but our observations through videos alone aren't what Meredith has been about. She's an honest writer and she draws from her experiences and life in her 20's (as such, this comic is ending near Eve's 30's, as this comic was meant for this time period alone).

I respect someone for having the honesty to write about what they truly observe and reflect their world back at us.
>>
>>91091519
>Is Octopus Pie turning into another Questionable Content?
It's not "turning into" anything.

It's ending. This is the last chapter. We're just saying goodbye to all these characters. No need to shit on it with your trendy right wing philosophy when the entire comic has been about New York twenty-somethings for the past decade.
>>
>>91091873
Hey guys I found a great new way to force white supremacy into the mainstream, just play the victim card, people will surely tolerate our intolerance as long as we just play dumb.
>>
File: 2009-08-10[1].png (143KB, 800x1309px) Image search: [Google]
2009-08-10[1].png
143KB, 800x1309px
>>91093143
>Jacob was covered in tattoos
I thought so too but then I looked back and it turned out he doesn't actually have that much tattoos. He just SEEMED like the kind of guy who would, but there's just one inside one arm and a couple words on the chest.

Jackie, Jacob, Jackie talking about Ollie in familiar terms despite never having seen her before, already-bisexual Julie still being on Jack's dick even when she doesn't have a dick anymore, it all adds up.
>>
>>91091519
America Jones is black? I absolutely didn't pick up on that when she was introduced in the black and white strips.
>>
>>91091519
there is nothing weird about this page, what the fuck are you even talking about.
>>
>>91091519
Are you seriously telling me that you're surprised a comic about 20-something women, set in Brooklyn, has characters that are not so keen on nazis?
>>
File: IMG_2633.jpg (31KB, 368x475px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2633.jpg
31KB, 368x475px
>>91091821
Anon, one of these days you have to grow up and realize not everyone you disagree with is a Nazi.
>>
>>91095395
Ok, but the comic said "punch nazis" not "punc people I disagree with".
Punching Nazis is cool. Hellboy does it.
Are you saying Hellboy isn't cool?
>>
>>91095571

He's referring to how her peers use "punch a nazi". When her peers use it, it really DOES mean "punch everyone who disagrees with you"

Also, "Punch a Nazi" IS fun, until you ask them what their definition of a nazi is. Because to me, a Nazi is someone who has violent ideals and has the power and the means to execute their ideology. NOT someone who has un-PC views.

tl;dr Punching Richard Spencer was fun, not so much when you extend that attitude to everyone else.
>>
File: james_may_1519793c[2].jpg (47KB, 460x288px) Image search: [Google]
james_may_1519793c[2].jpg
47KB, 460x288px
>>91096004
>I'm going to decide what everyone means on their behalf so I could choose to be offended by it.

Gee great avenue of discussion you've got there.
>>
>>91091519
>We punch nazis
I wonder, putting aside whether or not the people punched are actually nazis or not, what exactly is the plan of people that say shit like this?
If they genuinely believe that the people they are suggesting assaulting are willing participates in genocide (assuming it's not merely an excuse used to randomly assault those that simply do not subscribe to the specific political leanings they have.) what do they think punching them is going to accomplish?
Do they think that a racist being punched is going to make them completely change their most likely deeply ingrained racial prejudices instantly? Most genuinely racist people don't even understand why they feel the way they do about other races so it's not like they can choose to not have those thoughts and in fact if they get randomly assaulted by someone of another race it will probably only deepen any negative opinions they have and that's the best case scenario, worst case that genocidal extremist ( the one that was punched not the one punching) acts like what they are and kills their assailant and possibly others.

And the supposed call to action that "nazis have to be stopped" makes no sense because just punching someone doesn't remove them from existence, if they are a threat before being punched they still are afterwards, so if these self appointed nazi hunters really wanted to do something and really have faith in their convictions that these "nazis" represent a clear and present danger they would be killing them, why take half measures unless they have doubts to the authenticity of their victims "nazi" status?
>>
>>91091821
It's all fun and games until they decide that you're a nazi because of your choice of pizza toppings or something
>>
>>91091938
Is Brooklyn known for having a lot of nazis or something?
>>
>>91096499
You really devoting this much thought to a comic character that just said "punching nazis"?
It's nazis. Who the fuck cares if they get punched.
>>
>>91096587
Bro "Nazi" means "White supremacist", okay.

It's not some secret code, there's no fucking mystery, it's just shorthand for a white supremacist. You know this. I know this. Everyone knows this.

There is literally no point in you acting the fool to this extent.
>>
>>91097046
In this context it's barely even "white supremacist." It's "evil german from WWII." Based entirely on the mention of powers in one of the panels, it's basically just a comic book joke. Superheroes punching nazis is a classic cliche. Are there any actual instances of modern political tone in the other pages or are people just looking for any reason to get angry at SJWs when there's still plenty of real reasons to do so?
>>
>>91091519
>punching Nazis is SJW
Boy, Inglorious Basterds sure was a SJWfest.
>>
>>91096999
>You really devoting this much thought to a comic character that just said "punching nazis"?
No it just reminded me of people who have been talking about punching nazis lately.
>It's nazis
Are they though?
> Who the fuck cares if they get punched.
I think I outlined sufficiently why one should care.
Nice trips btw
>>91097046
So why are libertarians,classical liberals,conservatives and unaffiliated voters labeled as nazis?
It seems that there is more to it than what you claim.
>>
>>91097202
You're a nazi, I can now punch you
>>
>>91097381
>So why are libertarians,classical liberals,conservatives and unaffiliated voters labeled as nazis?
Bro you might be playing up fringe cases too much in your own head. Stop thinking every internet comment you read represents the whole of the mainstream.

It's really white supremacists. You say "Nazi", people think "White supremacist". It's the simplest thing in the world. Why did nobody care Richard Spencer got punched? Because he was a white supremacist. There. Closed book.
>>
>>91093144
Octopus Pie has always been consistently apolitical despite most of the characters in the comic probably being SJW as fuck.

It also never really tried to get into the multicultural trend, at least not without being realistic.
>>
>>91093796
Eve's friends know about her boss because she talked about him. You're just making shit up
>>
>>91092329
>if you are a metrosexual

No, not everyone's from fucking Toronto
>>
>>91098672
>Apolitical
I dunno man, it's not exactly Sinfest, but I think it's pretty clearly left leaning.
Plus Meredith Gran is pretty clearly anti-nazi.
>>
>>91092670
Learn to read between the lines, /co/. Not every creator is a radical centrist, and in this pussyfoot age where people are too scared to say each others name negatively, subtly is all we have to judge character.
>>
>>91101674

So wait. Being a centrist is bad now? It's either Left or bust?
>>
File: 2017-02-07[1].png (511KB, 600x907px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-07[1].png
511KB, 600x907px
>>91100229
Bro Jackie is literally saying the phrase "from the day we met" in reference to Ollie, do you even read the fucking comic or are you only here to be the loud voice of denial about some minor character chopping her willy off with the most significant fallout being nothing more than a cute joke about how the one other minor character from Ollie's store is still obsessed with her?
>>
File: Zoom coffee reaction.jpg (89KB, 750x729px) Image search: [Google]
Zoom coffee reaction.jpg
89KB, 750x729px
>>91096499
>I wonder, putting aside whether or not the people punched are actually nazis or not, what exactly is the plan of people that say shit like this?

YOU BUNCH OF RETARDS.

Its a reference to that piece of shit America Lesbian Marvel comic and how she punched hittler at the end
>>
>>91097381

>So why are libertarians,classical liberals,conservatives and unaffiliated voters labeled as nazis?
It seems that there is more to it than what you claim.

Because it's a really convenient smokescreen argument for people with views a little more extreme than "classic conservative" who are trying to play fucking coy. No-one walks around using your theoretical situation to punch anyone. It's not to figure out where and who the fucking nazis are, most of them are on this website, and they used to have the fucking deceny to stick to their own goddamn board.
>>
File: 2009-04-15[1].png (130KB, 900x576px) Image search: [Google]
2009-04-15[1].png
130KB, 900x576px
>>91101769
i could be reaching, but that guy with the bandana is totally the same band member from here on the bottom left

you never get a clear view of his face but i'm convinced anyway

there's a third guy but they already said larry's filling in for him
>>
>>91101843
YOU FUCKING RETARD

It's a reference to the guy who punched the white supremacist on national TV, just like the marvel comic was referencing.
>>
>>91091519
I guess it's pandering a bit? Uh... just a bit though? It's not a big deal
>>
File: Merideth Gran.jpg (51KB, 600x665px) Image search: [Google]
Merideth Gran.jpg
51KB, 600x665px
Remember that time Gran told Aaron Diaz to fuck off?
>>
>>91091873

You know this roller derby team isn't going around beating up Trump supporters and later calling them Nazis, right?

This is the first and last time Nazi-punching has come up. It really is a throwaway gag about punching actual literal Nazis.

Now I know modern /co/ still feels threatened by this because about 30% literally think Hitler was right and another 30% think "well I don't think he was right about EVERYTHING but", but there's still none of what you're talking about in the comic.
>>
>>91092446
>Hm so it's pure coincidence that they're talking about punching Nazis despite the recent popularity of "punch a Nazi" crap among the left, as well as the fact that NY is an extremely left-winged state. They're actually fighting literal nazis.

Does it ever get exhausting conjuring up things to be outraged about?
>>
Conservatives are the most delicate fucking pussies in the world, jesus christ.
>>
>>91093645

>White supremacy

Listen dude, You and I both know that what they're mad bout is the fact that everyone is so afraid of WHITE SUPREMACY that white aren't allowed to be proud. at all.

Nazis were enemy combatants that belonged to a political ideology almost 100 years ago. It was ok to punch them and hate them because they were not Americans. it is not okay to punch American citizens because of their political ideology. ever.
>>
>>91102822
>Listen dude, You and I both know that what they're mad bout is the fact that everyone is so afraid of WHITE SUPREMACY that white aren't allowed to be proud. at all.
No, I don't know that, because that sounds like some retarded shit you've convinced yourself of to justify your own fragile feelings of being slighted.

>Nazis were enemy combatants that belonged to a political ideology almost 100 years ago.
And are famously characterized by their white supremacy, hence the strong association between the phrase "Nazi" and the concept of white supremacy.
>>
>>91102822

>it is not okay to punch American citizens because of their political ideology. ever.

It sure sounds to me you just want people to not have to be accountable for their awful hateful shit.

"The defining trait of nazis is OBVIOUSLY that they were from another country, not their extreme violent white supremacy and mass murder."

Like that's the hill you want to die on? The arbitrary fact that nazis now cannot be American because old nazis were from another country?
>>
>>91102822
>WHITE SUPREMACY that white aren't allowed to be proud. at all.
It's specifically because the white moniker was invented specifically to keep down/keep out black people/other dark skinned minorities. The Irish, Polish and Italians weren't exactly liked when they first came to America, but one, it was a lot easier for them to assimilate into America, and you wouldn't have to deal with a larger group of people kept as an underclass, especially if those people are free.
It also doesn't help that WHITE POWER was a rallying cry that's connected with terrorizing minorities because they aren't white.

The reason why Black Pride exists is because most black people in America don't know about their country of origin and have no real ties to those countries other than that, hence the name. Also, there was a time where you could slap a black man on the street for being 'uppity' and call him boy, and people got right tired of that shit.

Whenever St. Patrick's day shows up, notice how everyone remembers how Irish they are by whatever amount is in their blood? Nobody is going to care about Irish Pride, British Pride, Polish Pride, whatever.

It'd be a is different story if people were going COLORED PRIDE that recognizes everyone specifically who ISN'T one of the nationalities labeled as 'white'
>>
>>91103067
>"The defining trait of nazis is OBVIOUSLY that they were from another country, not their extreme violent white supremacy and mass murder."

It doesn't matter what their defining trait is. In the US there are laws that protect even the most despicable from physical retribution for opinions. Period. An no amount of normalization of violence against your fellow Americans is going to change that law. If you hit them it is assault. No matter what they believe, if you hit them it is assault, by law.
>>
>>91102954
>And are famously characterized by their white supremacy, hence the strong association between the phrase "Nazi" and the concept of white supremacy.

Still doesn't mean its a morally or legally acceptable action to lever violence against your fellow Americans for expressing their first amendment rights.
>>
>>91091519
OP is actually like QC in the sense that it always sucked and if you read them, you're a massive fag.
>>
>>91103171
>It's specifically because the white moniker was invented specifically to keep down/keep out black people/other dark skinned minorities.

And I get that. I'm not condoning white supremacy by any means, but the blanket association of all pride by white people in their heritage or history as being white supremacy is the reason for such backlash. I'm barely white by most standards, poor trailer trash that pulled myself out of the gutter, and yet I'm supposed to hate myself for a past that my family demonstrably suffered through. I understand that feeling of resentment and undeserved hostility, and how that can make movements that are inclusive of you even though you are white attractive.

Take away a populations right to be proud and they will be proud in their defiance of you.
>>
>>91103232

The first amendment protects your speech from the government, not from other people who want you to stop being a frothing racist.
Arguing morals on that slope seems kind of unwise?
>>
>>91091519

this is so amazingly perfectly dumb i wish i thought it was bait.
>>
>>91103213

Yeah, that's a wonderful high ground to stand on while people advocate for the upending of the American social structure, the creation of some sort of ethnostate, and the mass deportation and/detainment of people who have the misfortune of having skin colour just a bit too dark.
>>
>>91096499
If someone is just a racist douchebag then I don't really see a reason to punch them or even really engage them. For most racists its just how they are and they dont have the means or desire to act on their thoughts.
If someone is standing on the curb in a white hood or wearing nazi/white supremacist clothing and handing out pamphlets and yelling in a bullhorn why other races should be killed off, then I feel like its fair game to smash their face into a handrail.
>>
>>91103316
>The first amendment protects your speech from the government

and anti battery and assault laws protect you from being attacked by your fellow Americans.

First amendment means that the police can't turn a blind eye to those laws just because of what you say, you know discrimination based on speech. It's all still connected.

Right now even hate speech and public safety laws don't let you hit someone for what they say, unless it's "I'm going to kill you with this knife here"
>>
>>91103360
>Yeah, that's a wonderful high ground to stand on while people advocate for the upending of the American social structure, the creation of some sort of ethnostate, and the mass deportation and/detainment of people who have the misfortune of having skin colour just a bit too dark.

what national party is saying all that? Or even state party? are you sure you're not just arguing with ethonationalists on the internet?
>>
>>91103232
The first amendment does not protect speech that endangers others. How many Indians-mistaken-for-Arabs need to get fucked up or black people need to get stabbed by a sword (a fucking SWORD) because a guy got mad at being cucked before you wise up?
>>
>>91096999
>It's nazis. Who the fuck cares if they get punched.

the law. they're still Americans and deserve its protection, regardless of what beliefs they hold.
That's like saying "they're islamists who cares if they get punched". It doesn't matter what they believe, as citizens they are entitled to equal protection under the law.
>>
>>91103396
>The first amendment does not protect speech that endangers others.

Define "endanger" because I seem to remember a court case that upheld the KKK's freedom to march openly and publicly without fear of violence against them.
>>
>>91103469
>>91103396

Actually I found the actual limitation,

" The U.S. Supreme Court insists that the First Amendment protects hate speech unless it constitutes a “ true threat” or will incite imminent lawless action."

so you have to me baking a direct threat of violence towards a particular person within earshot, or be attempting to incite immediate lawless action, such as calling for building to be burned or people to be killed for particular reasons. OH WAIT LIKE SAYING ITS OK TO PUNCH PEOPLE.
>>
>>91103469
http://www.uscourts.gov/about-federal-courts/educational-resources/about-educational-outreach/activity-resources/what-does

> Freedom of speech does not include the right:
> To incite actions that would harm others

Very straightforward.

And I noticed you decided to stick strictly to legality, even though you ALSO brought up morality. Surely you know those two are not necessarily synonymous. How is it any more moral for me to simply accept someone spreading rhetoric that is actually getting people killed? It was fucked up enough when that kid mass murdered a black church, but christ, stabbing a homeless black guy with a sword? Christ.
>>
>>91102789
This.
>>
>>91098626
>Because he was a white supremacist
Was he?
I'm unfamiliar with him except for the video of him getting punched
>>
>>91101549
Being anti-nazi hardly makes you left wing.
But I do agree that comic probably does lean left wing.
>>
>>91103705
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_B._Spencer
>>
>>91102659
Remember that time she cheated on that 'bad boys of computer science' guy, and he got angsty about it for awhile, and then the comic output slowly dropped and he had hosting issues and eventually the whole thing fell off at the wayside?

No seriously, does anyone remember this? Heck, I'd be half-tempted to dismiss the BBoCS comic as being a mostly-forgotten fever dream if it weren't for scraps of mentions in a few places and an old megatokyo guest strip, so particular drama bits are fuzzy at best.
>>
>>91101843
I'm pretty sure it isn't and even that was a reference to captain america.
I was referring to the shit like #punchnazis shit that was popular a few weeks back and the mentality that 1:everyone to the political left of you is a nazi and 2:being a nazi (see 1) justifies assault
>>
>>91102434
These same people think the president is a nazi
>>
>>91101134
>implying that doesn't apply to new york, montreal, vancouver, seattle literally any big city that has even a moderately shitty winter
>>
>>91103316
So what you're suggesting is that is fine and dandy to murder people if they say publish a comic that mocks your religion as long as you're not wearing a badge while doing it?
>>
>>91103778
Wait what?
This is the most interesting thing I've read in this thread so far.
>>
>>91103396
>speech that endangers others
Are the alleged nazis preparing an incantation?

Assault is a crime already there is no need to ban words
>>
>>91091821
Well, calling people literally Hitler is a trend nowadays, and considering some of the storm kicking up lately with the """""alt-right""""" and the """"neonazis,"""" it's unlikely that they weren't referencing that stuff.

I've never heard of this comic in my life, so take it with a grain of salt.
>>
>>91103817

He's not a nazi. He's a fat peice of shit who has no idea what he's doing, and the resulting chaos is emboldening real nazis, not to mention the actual ones in his cabinet.
>>
>>91103891
>nowadays
How fucking young are you?
>>
>>91103870
I'm not going to play along with your pretense of cluelessness. Enough people have died.
>>
>>91103603

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brandenburg_v._Ohio

Try again. Advocating is not inciting as per supreme court ruling.
>>
>>91104113
And you ignore the entire half of the post that confronted you on the "morality" that YOU yourself brought up.
>>
>>91103840

I have no fucking clue how you got from my post to what you posted. But no, of course it's not. I can argue the good in stopping someone sprouting hatespeech in a public place where he can influence minds and radicalize others.

Your example is... someone who's so offended by something that's a joke that they then go murder people. The instigating cause is completely different and they don't even remotely compare.
>>
>>91104002
There are no actual nazis in his cabinet. Seriously, this is the kind of hyperbole we're talking about.
>>
>>91104099
It's not a pretense you sound insane.
Speech cannot harm a person only actions
>>
File: Brindle_pied_frenchbulldog[2].jpg (56KB, 662x662px) Image search: [Google]
Brindle_pied_frenchbulldog[2].jpg
56KB, 662x662px
>>91104139
>Steve Bannon
>Not a white supremacist
You keep telling yourself that.
>>
>>91104124

I brought up morality because it is immoral to lever violence against your fellow American, an no amount of violence levered by myself will change that. I believe that and I stand by that statement. I will not harm a communist even if I hate him, or a KKK member, or a gang member, unless I am protecting another american from harm. I define my own moral obligations, if I am against violence levered by certain people then I take steps to stop them from commiting violence, I don't use violence as an intimidation tactic to sway the opinions of others.
>>
>>91104165
Speech incites and emboldens violence through fear and misinformation. Your denial of this is not just pathetic, it's frighteningly naive, as if you live in an idealistic bubble.
>>
>>91104185
Bannon's not in the cabinet, so he is technically correct
>>
>>91104185
Prove to me that you aren't just as much of a conspiracy theorists as all the losers on /pol/

Keep in mind that the definition of white supremacist is someone who believes the white race is superior to all others. Being opposed to immigration or islam is not evidence of that belief.
>>
>>91104185

Nazis had a very complex political ideology. They were Aryan nationalists, who allied themselves with Islamist groups they felt shared an Aryan heritage. They were also socialist and authoritarian with and supported social programs that helped the German people. If you think he's a white nationalist then say that, calling people Nazis is just a way to dehumanize them and label them enemy combatants so you don't have to bother understanding, you can just hate. Exactly what many conservatives do with Muslims.
>>
>>91104139

Okay. I concede there are not actual nazis in his cabinet as determined by whatever your definition of nazi is.

What there IS in his cabinet is a motley assortment of traitors, white supremacists and/or their sympathizers, a card-carrying member of a nazi sympathy group from Hungary, a Mann who ran a website dedicated to the spread of hatespeech and racial radicalization, and then the other usual assortment of cockroaches who advocate for "small government" but really mean "I masturbated into a copy of the fountainhead once when I was thirteen and man really should be free to be as big a monster as he can".

Thank god you fact checked me on that.
>>
>>91104205
You're just like every other moral guardian throughout history, blaming words for the actions of others. I suppose you agree with the central tenet of Seduction of the Innocent?
>>
>>91104186
>I brought up morality because it is immoral to lever violence against your fellow American
As if racism isn't immoral all of a sudden? As if it's moral to sit on a fence as white supremacists attempt to take center stage and act like their position is legitimate, that pushing people down and out due to their race should be a valid position? Fuck off if you want me to act like this guy was just advocating a different opinion of no harm to anyone.
>>
>>91104138
>I have no fucking clue how you got from my post to what you posted.
You're playing dumb when you say that the first amendment only protects a person from being silenced by the government when the subject is people using violence against others because of what they say, you know damn well the spirit of the first amendment is to prevent any form of censorship and that it is illegal to assault people.
> I can argue the good in stopping someone sprouting hatespeech in a public place where he can influence minds and radicalize others.
If you truly think that his words alone cause harm why take half measures? Are you prepared to silence them permanently? otherwise you're just wasting your time and committing a felony without accomplishing te goal of stopping them.
>The instigating cause is completely different and they don't even remotely compare.
What exactly do you consider instigation?
I would consider it nothing less than say someone publicly trying to convince people to commit a crime, ironically this whole "punch nazis" rhetoric fits the bill, but are you saying the people punched have done this? and if so do you have any examples?
>>
>>91104205
>Speech incites and emboldens violence through fear and misinformation
YEAH and if our kids read Harry Potter they will become witches and worship satan, thanks barb can't wait to see you church this sunday for te book burning! ;)
>>
>>91104245

If 4chan is any example, yes, words are frighteningly powerful, horrible things. Look what it's done to as-may-be half the people on here, unironically spewing caustic race conspiracies like they're some kind of woke prophets, deliberately setting up honeypots to get people riled up.

I remember when SJW were an annoyance. Like, you know, they actually still are. Not some sort of frothing nebulous enemy force that's going to kill your way of life and as such you should sign your soul over to quite possibly one of the most callous ideologies I've ever seen.
>>
>>91104205
>as if you live in an idealistic bubble.
Yeah I'm such an idealist that I believe people are responsible for their own actions and not those of others, it's a better world where mind controlling warlocks are not common place, perhaps you should join me in it?
>>
>>91104215
The guy ran Breitbart and suddenly you're acting like there's some ambiguity involved here? Your whole argument is nothing but playing people for fools.
>>
>>91104310

A book of fiction about wizards is not the same thing as directly telling people black people are an inferior race who just can't help but do crime and you fucking know it.
>>
I'm not that surprised that /co/ is the ONLY place where ANTIFA is remotely tolerated here. They'd murder Jontron or Pewdiepie if they can get away with it.
>>
>>91104345
Do you read Breitbart?

It's not white supremacist.
>>
>>91104239
>white supremacists
Who?
>and then the other usual assortment of cockroaches who advocate for "small government" but really mean "I masturbated into a copy of the fountainhead once when I was thirteen and man really should be free to be as big a monster as he can".
So are they nazis or libertarians?
Because those are not compatible ideologies
You do know that right?
>>
>>91104245
Speech is an action.

Communication is not a meaningless display.

Your argument is entirely futile. It is pure denial.
>>
>>91104264

While I believe that racism is nowhere near equal to physical violence I respect your opinion otherwise. But the point still stands: the law protects people from harm unless they threaten harm to others in a SPECIFIC and provable manner. Labeling someone with as an enemy combatant doesn't make it so, and doesn't excuse violence against them.

What happened to satiagraha? Where is the peaceful resistance of Dr. King? Since when does threat of prejudice excuse violence against your countryman?
>>
>>91104365
Perhaps you're right, but if you are you're in the wrong country. Your words here directly contradict the first amendment, and that will never be repealed.
>>
>>91091519
It's not a very good comic.
>>91091821
Except people who are anywhere right of the far left end are getting called Nazis now. Even some e-celeb Jews are getting called Nazis.
>>
>>91104358
This is the kind of website that fakes stats about how much black on white and white on white violence there is, takes security footage of a bad drug deal in Prague and calls it an act of Muslim violence in Germany instead, and constantly shits on Jewish people every opportunity they get. And you're going to tell me it's not a white supremacist rag? Right. It's really just that easy to lie directly to my face. I'm not wasting anymore time on you. I'm going to bed.
>>
>>91104350
Are you saying that you are so incredibly mentally weak that all it takes is someone telling you that blacks are inferior for you to lose any shred of self control and gun down an inner city school or something?
And if you aren't that easily manipulated why do you think other people are?

Was the movie taxi driver to blame for John Hinkley shooting Reagan?
>>
>>91104331

Your charming an antiquated view of social memetics isn't really equipped to deal with people who deliberately create hateful and false infographics and then deliberately viral them onto Facebook with the conscious intent of misinforming and radicalizing stupid people. And if one of those stupid people goes out and murders a family of Muslims, or Jews, or black people, or god forbid even some white people, who's responsible? Just the crazy person who was too stupid to not be lied to by gutless and evil little fucks on the internet? I'm sure that's real cold comfort to the dead. You don't blame a soldier, you blame a commander.
>>
>>91104384
It's a good comic, which you've never read or have any interest in reading, because you are only here literally to whine about leftists. Fuck off.
>>
>>91104409
>and constantly shits on Jewish people every opportunity they get.
>Breitbart
You mean the same website that would need a team of the world's best surgeons to pry itself from Israel's dick?
That Breitbart?
>>
>>91104420
>people are more misinformed than ever guys!

Nah. If you really believe that, then you're relying entirely on anecdotes and personal bias.
>>
>>91104362

I already conceded they aren't nazis, get your shit together.
>>
>>91104420
>Your charming an antiquated view of social memetics isn't really equipped to deal with people who deliberately create hateful and false infographics and then deliberately viral them onto Facebook with the conscious intent of misinforming and radicalizing stupid people
How many people have been killed because of fake stats exactly?
> Just the crazy person who was too stupid to not be lied to by gutless and evil little fucks on the internet?
Yes
>I'm sure that's real cold comfort to the dead.
Dead people don't feel anything
>You don't blame a soldier, you blame a commander.
Nonsensical analogy the randos on the internet are not commissioned officers in a position of authority, stop projecting your frustrations about being responsible for your own actions onto everybody else.
>>
>>91104428
There's really no way to convince people they're wrong about Breitbart. It delights in the controversy too much. But its writers certainly do not believe the white race is superior to all others.
>>
>>91104458
You didn't answer the question, who on the cabinet is a white supremacist and are they "nazi sympathists" or libertarians?
>>
>>91104458
They aren't white supremacists either
>>
>>91104365
>people are not responsible for their own actions if it was influenced by anyone else's words
Okay so then the people that said bad words that "forced" others to violence aren't responsible either because their words were influenced by every person that led them to having those opinions, it's their parents bad upbringing and their parents before them and so on until the only one we can blame is the primordial ooze.
Or maybe we can be rational and say individuals can only be blamed for their own actions and not that of others?
>>
Stop arguing with /pol/ and report the fucking thread.
>>
>>91104538
When did being moderate start meaning I'm /pol/?
>>
>>91104538

Why /pol/ specifically? This thread proved that NONE of you regardless of ideology are interested in discussion and are more interested in starting fights and punching the other for wrong think.
>>
>>91091519
Ehhh, it's a joke in questionable taste at worst. Nothing worth worrying about.

>>91092718
It does. The idea is appealing on a visceral level, no wonder it's popular (well, that and peer pressure/virtue signalling).
I really don't care about the moral implications, but in practice I wish it didn't have the potential to make things a dozen times worse for everyone but nazis.
>>
>>91104554
mid 2007
>>
>>91104569

Because I'm used to arguing with /pol/ because I'm clearly insane, and this has all the same fucking hallmarks. The goalpost moving, the technicalities, the constant shift of focus. You got me. I'm fucking trolled. Congrats on another victory for the fatherland. And if you're not, we'll, congrats on showing that you can get away with defending horrible people and ideologies so long as you have the right tactics.
>>
>>91104624

So I assume ANTIFA's more of your bag then? I mean after all, they can do what you're too pussy to do. Punch children, the elderly and such? Who cares! They may as well be nazis anyway.

Nazis are bad enough. We don't need ANTIFA making it worse.
>>
>>91104538
>>91104569
I just wanted to know what people who say they want to punch nazis plan to do afterwards, I didn't want for a fucking huge arguument on whether mean words are capable of causing tangible destruction or whatever to happen.
I never ask for this shit.
>>91104624
Quick question did you think I was /pol/ or am I a third party?
I just want to establish if "being" /pol/ genuinely means any opinion that hasn't jumped off the leftist diving board into the crazy abyss or not or if some degree of middle ground between crazed
liberal and stormfront is still allowed to exist in the current year
>>
>>91104624
It's not about defending horrible people, it's about being accurate and eschewing violence. I'm just as bothered as you are by that guy in New York enraged by race mixing, and I'm glad he's going to be locked up. But for the same reason it's wrong to advocate for harming people of color, it's wrong to advocate punching people for believing in it. If they aren't perpetrating violence, then it's not just.
>>
>>91104624
>whole tread is people arguing whether or not random violence is okay or not
>You're in favor of violence
>"/pol/" is in favor of peace
>but /pol/ are apparently the bad guys
Why is /pol/ bad again?
>>
Whatever happened to just public debate?

Oh right, ANTIFA keeps using threats of violence, intimidation and property destruction to get their way to throw people they don't like out of the public eye.Kinda makes you remember a certain group of people in Germany who did the same thing too.
>>
>>91104648

Now who's being hyperbolic?

The antifa /pol/ loves to demonize so are still once you get down to it, AGAINST FACISM. I have zero statistics of old women or children being beaten. The kind instigated by authoritarian creep and fire-fanning between demographics.

But any psycho can put on a balaclava and start shooting/violence/punching whatever, in the name of whatever he decides to shout. This applies to either side.

There's probably never going to be a right way to settle these arguments reasonably because one side has no reason. I advocate for the removal platforms for hate speech because debating it down doesn't work, it just crystallizes them into some sort of cold alloy of hate. I've lost close friends to this shit. I've tried to talk people out of it. It doesn't work.
>>
>>91104753
They are literal brown shirts now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2M_lmFOuF_A
>>
>>91104808
>because one side has no reason
This is untrue. Part of your problem is that you only see it as "debating it down" as though every part of it is inherently false. Not to mention just how ineffective censorship is.
>>
>>91104866

Plus, do you really want to see a scenario where the very censorship laws you enact and supported against your enemies used *against* you?
>>
>>91104663

I don't know who the fuck I was talking about because it's an entire thread of anonymous people. I assume there was at least 3 people replying to me an the other two guys. Or more. Who the fuck knows.

Violence is wrong. I just hope by the time the other side has wolves at the door we haven't given up the means of defense. It's so much easier to be an advocate of something horrible towards living, breathing people if you dont have to worry about repercussions, and even easier to start striking people when you're in the position you want. enough people fucking die in the world already without groups of Americans encouraging more people to hate and fear others because of skin colour.
>>
>>91104890
I wish this argument were more effective, but it really only lasts as long as the person they hate is in office. Anti-authoritarianists are fairweather friends nine times out of ten
>>
>>91104910

What do you expect? When the person they want or like is in office, they want to enact pro-censorship laws and give freedom of speech the finger. When the person they HATE is in office, suddenly free speech is the most important thing in the world. It's human nature sadly.
>>
>>91104586
>I really don't care about the moral implications, but in practice I wish it didn't have the potential to make things a dozen times worse for everyone but Nazis

I hate that people are redefining things to excuse their socially abhorrent behavior. How is calling any and all conservatives Nazis any different than conservatives calling any and all mu slims ISIS to justify their hatred?
>>
File: 1489772750656.jpg (42KB, 800x587px) Image search: [Google]
1489772750656.jpg
42KB, 800x587px
As a non american, I think america's perception of nazi Germany american hitler is an interesting case of cognitive dissonance.

Speaking as american south american mercantile who has talked specifically with a lot of Arabs and eastern europeans, most of the world actually just thinks of hitler as a memorable but otherwise basic dictator. A lot of controls had dictators at the time, it was just a consequence of monarchies dying out of fashion. Hell, a lot of people look back at some dictators with fondness. Most foreign people, in my experience, just see hitler as at kooky German who was really effective and jobber hard in the end.

Meanwhile americans see the guy, who was basically trying to prevent the country from imploding from all the other European powers wanting the comparatively recent country to be eradicated after getting thoroughly fucked over in ww1, as literally satan.

But the kicker? Almost everyone worldwide reviled cimmunist russia, and if you read what happened in there from the gulag archipelago, the holocaust legitimately comes off like a joke in comparison. And for the most part almost every other place in the world sees communism as something to be loathed, and they were the general reason hitler went to the extremes that he did, they never tell you he was immediately preceded by a literal attempt americans communist revolution funded by rich bankers.

Meanwhile in america they pretty much keep you guys in the dark about it until college, and even then it's warped.

It's funny how americans think they're so modern and civilized when you guys are still falling for ancient wartime propaganda, and creating falsified issues and problems for yourself based off it. For fuck's sake, why are you lumping neo mercantilists with national socialists?

That's my piece. Oh, and octopus pie is a hipster comic for Scott pilgrim babies.
>>
File: castmarek.png (6KB, 125x205px) Image search: [Google]
castmarek.png
6KB, 125x205px
Why is he so innocent?
>>
>>91091519
you people sure are sensitive for a group that likes to call people snowflakes and gloat about triggering them
>>
>>91105381
>americans communist revolution funded by rich bankers.
its either one or the other you dumb chimp
Why the fuck would bankers fund a communist revolution
go rot in your favela
>>
>>91105401
Mostly we don't want to be physically assaulted
>>
>Eve! Vaguely remembered individual!

I can't even respond to your bait because I love this comic so much.

>that previous comic where the guy segued into Wild Wild West and continued rapping in the background
>>
>>91105381
>and they were the general reason hitler went to the extremes that he did
I thought it was because he brought Germany out of the shitter united the people against a common opponent ? Even Hitler was just some syphlistic puppet. Everyone knows the real leaders were his second in command
>>
File: _20170328_090934.jpg (8KB, 108x158px) Image search: [Google]
_20170328_090934.jpg
8KB, 108x158px
>>91091519
My God, the fuck kind of art style is that? It's so fucking hideous. You guys read this shit? Why?! That thing looks like a disabled dog that was stung by a fucking bee.
>>
>>91101134

There's 120+ teams in the United States and that's not counting multiples in certain cities.

It's a thing, man. Accept it.
>>
>>91105450
>the fuck kind of art style is that?

Lazy.
>>
>>91105414

Because is want a revolution in the country they banked, but it's potential rival? That seems pretty straightforward to me.
>>
>>91105423
so don't be a nazi
>>
>>91096499

Antifa, as far as I understand, operate under the assumption that certain ideology has already had its "day in court," so to speak. Like, when Richard Spencer advocates for a white European ethnostate and ironically-but-not-that-ironically yells heil Trump and calls white people children of the sun, antifas don't see some radical new perspective on life that must be defended and nurtured so it can be evaluated in public discourse.

They see a resurgence of the rhetoric that led to literal Nazis taking over Germany, and they see our tolerance of any and all forms of speech as prioritizing feeling good about ourselves for being "tolerant" over protecting people such speech might already marginalize (say, refugees or Muslims or Mexicans, in America's example).

So they punch Spencer in the face, because his ideology should be stomped out and frightened out of public view, not encouraged as something worth considering.
>>
>>91105566
Oh, well if it's as simple as that, I guess I'll start punching Communists. We've certainly given it enough tries.
>>
>>91097381

>classical liberals

Oh ho ho ho you're one of those people

Let me guess you're an egalitarian

>>91104139

Bannon's a Bourne villain who cites Camp of the Saints as what's going to happen to us if we don't close our borders and start looking funny at brown people all the time.

And Trump's admin has been awful weird about the Jews, not explicitly naming them on Holocaust Remembrance Day, refusing to outright condemn anti-semitism and instead turning it into a referendum on whether or not Trump himself is anti-semetic, etc.

And they've actively floated refocusing our extremism task force to exclusively on Islam, even though white nationalism has been making a comeback (http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-trump-extremists-program-exclusiv-idUSKBN15G5VO).

I'm not saying there's a bunch of secret swastikas in there, it's probably mostly insecure white dudes who think we lost the pot somewhere in the 70s, but there's plenty going on that white supremacists can just latch on to. Fuck's sake, Trump won't shut up about his superior genes, that shit is like candy to /pol/.

>>91105578

Hey, I never said I believed it, I'm just trying to explain it. Back in my day we just protested that cunt Ann Coulter coming to my school with op-eds and signs, we didn't deck her dumbass fans.

Then again white supremacy is emerging from the shadows and carefully rebranding itself to snare robots and incels, so I do think it's safe to err on the side of caution by calling smiling young racists nazis even if they don't want to take over our government and march around in Hugo Boss uniforms.
>>
>>91105566
>because his ideology should be stomped out and frightened out of public view, not encouraged as something worth considering.

so literally brownshirts suppressing communism in the 30's?
>>
>>91105640
>there's plenty going on that white supremacists can just latch on to
I don't disagree with you here, but it's still a problem when people outright claim that Trump and his cohorts are Nazis. We need to be accurate in our criticisms, because otherwise we give them room to escape and cry foul.

Also, I don't what the fuck is going on with Trump's semitic stuff. It's definitely weird, but there's just no way he's anti-semitic. He's too close to his son-in-law and the rest of the New York Jewish community.
>>
>>91105640
>I do think it's safe to err on the side of caution by calling smiling young racists nazis even if they don't want to take over our government and march around in Hugo Boss uniforms.

all you do with that label is dehumanize your fellow american and tie them to an ideal enemy combatant that you don't have to feel bad about hurting. It is literally what racists do with Muslims.
>>
>>91105679

Oh, certainly, we paint with too broad a brush when we call Trump and Company Nazis, but at the same time, when historians point at his rhetoric and go "this shit hits a bunch of boxes on the fascist checklist," I think people are too quick to go "OH SO YOU'RE SAYING HE'S HITLER NOW?"

Plus, the nanosecond a Republican hears me say "there's plenty going on that white supremacists can just latch on to," they've assumed I'm calling them, their families, and their dogs white supremacists. It's why it's so hard to have a conversation about -isms in this country. You can't talk about something being racist without a person immediately assuming you're calling them racist, which leads into...

>Also, I don't what the fuck is going on with Trump's semitic stuff. It's definitely weird, but there's just no way he's anti-semitic. He's too close to his son-in-law and the rest of the New York Jewish community.

...this. I strongly doubt Trump's in any way anti-semetic beyond "jews are good at counting my money. But it's fucking weird, the way his admin handled the Holocaust, and the way they're playing down the threat of domestic extremism, and the way Trump has taken questions from Jewish reporters about visible anti-semitism as direct accusations of anti-semitism. Shouting down a Hasidic-looking reporter who opened his question with the Jewish equivalent of "we know you're an awesome guy who isn't racist" and then telling him to shut up when he tries to clarify, or answering a real live Israeli reporter's question about American anti-semitism by referencing your EC win or whatever he did...it just looks odd. Makes people question if you've got some axe to grind or something.

At worst, he probably thinks Jews are shifty but knows there are "good ones."

>>91105450

because she's good at her style
>>
File: 2015-08-21.png (3MB, 587x8193px) Image search: [Google]
2015-08-21.png
3MB, 587x8193px
>>91105450

shit, image didn't load. guys how do I edit my posts
>>
>>91105748
On the Jew thing, could it be that he wants to build American Jewish ties while alienating Israeli Jewish ties? Genuinely curious since his stance on the Syrian conflict conflicts with Nationalist Jewish interests.
>>
>>91105757
I lived in a place like this for six months, never again.
>>
>>91105771

Eh. If he's trying to alienate Israeli jews, he's doing a shitty job. He threw the two-state solution out the window without a moment's thought and his admin is now bitching about UN mistreatment of Israel.

Honestly, I think he has no clue what the fuck he's doing and looks at the world in very simplistic terms. So when his rhetoric about America being overtaken by sinister forces or whatever leads to the Spencers of the world feeling emboldened, and people ask him how he feels about that, instead of doing the adult thing and saying "I categorically denounce people like Richard Spencer and his ideology and will fight racism wherever I see it," he goes "what are you accusing me of being racist? I'M NOT RACIST, I'M THE LEAST RACIST, I DON'T KNOW WHO SPENCER IS, YOU'RE RACIST FOR ASKING."

>>91105800

I love stories about New York City but after spending a week there for a gig I never, ever want to live in New York City.
>>
File: antifa-trash-comic.png (66KB, 460x480px) Image search: [Google]
antifa-trash-comic.png
66KB, 460x480px
>>91091821
>>
File: punching-nazis-comic.png (85KB, 460x480px) Image search: [Google]
punching-nazis-comic.png
85KB, 460x480px
>>91091519
>>
>>91096004
Then you're wrong. A nazi is a member of the national socialist workers party.
>>
>>91105757
Can I ask why she doesn't go for shortform vingettes like this and instead
chooses to present the stifflingly dull genre "quirky undeveloped adult life" in the most diluted forum for it besides television?

Is it easier? Does she lack the vision or resources? She clearly has an eye for framing and solid enough art; why not pursue something with a bit more grandiose capcity than a (presumably) regularly updated standard format webcomic?
>>
>>91105907
$$$
>>
File: WATCH FROGS.png (236KB, 552x665px) Image search: [Google]
WATCH FROGS.png
236KB, 552x665px
>>91091519
It's a pretty good time to be political. In that, times are pretty slipshod all around, but make for great political fuel.
>>
>>91105564
Nazis are reactionaries, therefore something happened and naziism is a response to that threat, if you don't want nazis correct the problem.
>>
>It's a Trump supporter gets offended that people don't like Trump and makes a thread about it episode
>>
>>91105939
Thats....a surprisingly astute observation. Most reactionaries are a product of exclusion or perceived hostility. Maybe by drawing white males into the fold of progressive leftism as something other than the bottom rung self hating bitch boys they wouldn't be drawn to more extreme ideologies.
>>
>>91105963

>It's an episode where a faggot doesn't bother to read the thread
>>
>>91105963
If "people don't like Trump" means "people assault Trump supporters" then yeah I agree that's the problem here
>>
File: 2017-03-17.png (1MB, 600x2688px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-17.png
1MB, 600x2688px
>>91105907

I'd imagine it's because she's drawing from her own life experiences and surroundings to create her stories. I have no empirical data for this, but it seems like a lot of webcomickers are young creatives, and OP--and others like it--portrays a lot of the stereotypical shit young creatives go through.

"Most writers are writers." So a lot of them like writing stories about writers.

I got onto the train late--I started reading Octopus Pie around when Hanna broke up with Marek, which is apparently years in--but I do enjoy the way she portrays her characters as flawed fuckups slowly learning to, if not grow up, then live with being flawed fuckups. Sometimes it's relatable. Jane and Mar's easy slide into domesticity mirrors the way I bumbled into living comfortably with my wife. Sometimes it's just funny, like when a cover band frontman opens a set with a pseudo-thoughtful monologue that turns into Wild Wild West.

Why are slice of life anime so popular? Why is there always a sitcom about a middle class family? Why does every race and creed have its own "_____ finds themselves" movie? These themes resonate, so people keep using them.

I think she does a better job than, say, QC. It also helps that she's moving towards resolutions with all her characters instead of setting the story on cruise control.

Plus as you see in that vignette the art is fucking gorgeous. I can't wait to see what she does after OP ends.
>>
File: America (2017-) 001-016 copy.jpg (150KB, 628x667px) Image search: [Google]
America (2017-) 001-016 copy.jpg
150KB, 628x667px
>>91105963
Yours is the blight that is emasculating and pasteurizing almost all that is /co/ right now.
>>
>>91105934

Regardless of politics, The Sia Lebouf vs /pol/ shenanigans are kinda funny.
>>
>>91105972
>Thats....a surprisingly astute observation.
Do you think your side of the aisle holds all of the intellectuals? Not that I'm likening myself to some philosophical adept, however there is an undeniable self rightiousness within the left, they think themselves already the winners and the "good-guys". However the time has long past for reconciliation, the "progressive left" has already enacted policies that have created reactionaries, simply put both are convinced what they believe is best and are firmly opposed to the other, I would like to say the reactionary right are right, but only time will tell if that even matters. However circling back to that title "progressive left" the word progressive was originally used by people like the nazis, they say eugenics and this new age of science as a means to make the "new man" a reality, what drove them was a similar arrogance that they alone wanted positive change, or progress, the reality is all people want some kind of positive change, but rarely can we agree on what that is, and this is where the violence starts.
>>
>>91106042
If anyone is so caught up in their politics they can't appreciate the greatest game of Capture the Flag ever played, they need to seriously reevaluate their life
>>
>>91106079
>our flag is secure
>>
File: The Hunt for Shia.jpg (515KB, 2000x1782px) Image search: [Google]
The Hunt for Shia.jpg
515KB, 2000x1782px
>>91106079
>>91106098
>>91106042
They truly are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5D4oTwlB_5o
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vw9zyxm860Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n-ABXvbMSc4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PpZGa0t9YhI
>>
This thread is a perfect object lesson on why /co/ is no longer good for anything other than fap material.
It's hard to believe people still try to argue that this place hasn't been overrun by tumblr tards.
>>
>>91092119
Octopus Pie is a bit fantastical and not tied to reality too tightly, it's very possible there's some secret cell of actual nazis operating from the backroom of a laundromat or whatever
>>
>>91106046
>Not that I'm likening myself to some philosophical adept, however there is an undeniable self rightiousness within the left, they think themselves already the winners and the "good-guys".

It tends to come with being the people who push for common sense shit like gay marriage (or, back in the day, interracial marriage, or integration before that). That used to be a very radical stance. There's always some new radical stance coming down the pike. Lately it seems to be trans people. So when you get folks upset at you, you tend to assume they're the same people who ten years ago screeched about how dangerous it was for two guys to put rings on each others' fingers.

The problem is we've tackled a lot of the big problems there are obvious "bad guys" on and now we're trying to tackle issues way more nuanced but some of the loudest leftists want to treat nuanced shit as something you can scream into a megaphone about. Like...trans issues are important, but anyone who labels anyone who doesn't know about the concept of alternate pronouns as transphobic is fucking insane. Asexuality is worth talking about, but anyone who thinks "demisexuals" are some class of people that have been persecuted against the same way LGBTBBBQ(the extra B is for BYOBB) people have is fucking insane. And it all blurs together.

There's a lot of whip-smart conservatives out there. They just often seem sociopathically dedicated to wealth creation or dismissive of fags. The left tends to express empathy on a grander scale, or at least we used to, while the right tends to express empathy on an individual scale. So, again, we feel a rush of self-righteousness.

It's a growing problem. I'm not sure how to combat it.
>>
>>91106136

/co/ has always been full of lefty faggots, it's one of the kindest gentlest boards on 4chan. you're either too new or too /pol/ if you think it's changed all that much.

Pisses me off we can't have lolis of /co/ threads anymore, though. Mods have gotten more censorious over the years.
>>
>>91106142

shit, that would be amazing
>>
>>91106185
Maybe to some extent, but at least they had the common sense to know that punching people for disagreeing with them isn't okay.
However far left /co/ used to be, it's further left now and the board has declined in quality because of it.
>>
File: 1348009205943.jpg (70KB, 600x912px) Image search: [Google]
1348009205943.jpg
70KB, 600x912px
>>91106136
>It's hard to believe people still try to argue that this place hasn't been overrun by tumblr tards.
Or maybe people are getting sick of /pol/ acting even more thin-skinned and obsessed with identity politics than the tumblrinas they can't stop whining about? It was fun laughing at the retards on twitter a few years ago, but you guys have become far more annoying, and we actually have to deal with you shitting everywhere. I don't think I've even SEEN a "SJW" in person
>>
>>91106175

>It's a growing problem. I'm not sure how to combat it.

Democrats have got to get their asses back in gear, that's a start. They need a candidate That'll work for the working class folk, especially the rust belt. While we're at it Democrats, and republicans too need a total fucking detox so we can rinse out the corporatism hacks that are suffocating each party. Simply, we need reform in the two big political parties.
>>
File: Dave Chapelle on Social Justice.jpg (64KB, 1024x572px) Image search: [Google]
Dave Chapelle on Social Justice.jpg
64KB, 1024x572px
>>91106175
>>91106046
>>91105972
>>91105939
Dave Chapelle said it best. Arrogance and haste breed resentment and resistance, and makes reconciliation and coexistence difficult.
>>
>>91106234

Problem atm is that the candidates for party leaders for the Democrat party was a choice between a former Brotherhood of Islam member or a Clinton shill. The latter won. Make that what you will.
>>
>>91106234
Best bet is honestly to have more parties, so it's harder for corporations to get embedded. I'm hopeful that ranked choice voting will continue to spread.
>>
>>91106266
God, no. That's why Europe is so damn fucked and why you've got certain parties ruling forever because of split votes.
>>
>>91106234
>That'll work for the working class folk, especially the rust belt.
They had one, but he lost the primary because the media and establishment are in wall street's pockets and were actively working against him. I really hope he runs again next time, now that people have actually heard of him.
>>
>>91106187
>the name of the place is Soap Suds or something like that
>SS get it huh get it
>"pure and clean is our business"
so subtle. I want it now
>>
>>91106276
>why you've got certain parties ruling forever
Uh yeah as opposed to the US system where you also have certain parties ruling forever, because there are only 2 of them
>>
>>91106276

Ain't nothing wrong with having a good selection of parties to choose from. Be like us Aussies and have a preferential voting system. It works out pretty decently, lets you vote for smaller parties while supporting the bigger parties too. The only thing you'll have to put up with is a meter-long voting ballet.
>>
File: r1176277_14995306.jpg (89KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
r1176277_14995306.jpg
89KB, 1280x720px
>>91106312

>Ballet

Oh whoops, my mistake. I meant to say Ballot paper.
>>
>>91106225
You're in a thread where people are actually defending ANTIFA's "everyone I don't like is a nazi and therefore I can assault them" rhetoric, and you actually think I'm the person who's thin-skinned here?
How am I the one who's being annoying and forcing extremist politics into everything when I've literally only posted in this thread to comment on how fucking stupid it is that people are forcing their extremist politics into things?
>>
>>91096499
The idea is to "make racists afraid" so that basically they're too scared to cause trouble. And there's something to that idea, but it's also a simplistic plan which could also drive the racists and their ideology underground where it can't be seen and combatted.
>>
>>91106046
>Thats....a surprisingly astute observation.
>Do you think your side of the aisle holds all of the intellectuals?

Sorry that was badly worded, I mean I was caught by the astuteness of the observation, not that it was surprising coming from whichever side made said statement.
>>
>>91106175
On the subject of "common sense" issues, all I have to say is look where it got us, I do not see the world where people can be who they are and all is well, I even used to support these things, but then it all changed somewhere down the line and I reacted, now I no-longer see it as "common sense" but as the warning signs, integration only introduces hostile elements that no one benefits from, fact is people want to be segregated, if they can help it. interracial marriage applies to the same principle, tribalism, however while cliques have subtle differences like common interests, interracial relationships are playing with the very identity of a people, when two people mix the offspring is something totally different no longer on or the other, now we are seeing the nightmare scenario where places like London, Paris and Berlin are nearly void of anglos francs and teutons (albeit by immigration but the principle is the same). That said I can't say I like the idea but thats personal, assimilation must be done one way or another and I can't raise issue when a minority engage in it. And finally gay marriage, I cannot see how this is common sense, common sense is a union between a man and a women, this makes sense historically and biologically, the lack of historical data also worries me as this is uncharted territory, the reality exists that gay marriage is not beneficial to society and it may fail as a concept and damage our culture. Unrelated but I have a similar thought with certain scientific exploits, i feel they act without thinking of the "why" and only see "progress".
Furthermore I cannot help but see these new issues as a byproduct of the old, will concede the solutions to these issues are not easy however let us not count out the more "phobic" solutions, everyone should consider the possibility they could be wrong

But I suppose a fundamental difference is one looks to what was and the other looks to what could be.
>>
>>91106299

he has a point, the european system is only different in a cosmetic scale, its still US or THEM, its just teams of USSES and THEMS.
>>
File: Flanders Nazi.jpg (81KB, 442x360px) Image search: [Google]
Flanders Nazi.jpg
81KB, 442x360px
>>91097046
>"Nazi" means "White supremacist"
No, it does not. The word "nazi" comes from "national socialist", a fascist form of government which is at heart a communist ideology due to its belief that the individual exists for the benefit of the state above all else (hence the "socialist" part). The alt-left and the alt-right are two sides of the same coin in this regard.

National Socialism in particular is a branch of fascism wherein nationality and citizenship is at the centre of the ideology, not race. Any government in any country consisting of any possible race can be Nazis. Anti-Semitism was only particular to Nazi Germany.

There has been plenty of non-white fascist regimes throughout history which qualifies as being called "Nazis". In fact, antifa and the alt-left operate under a de-facto fascist system of systematically oppressing viewpoints and sentiments they don't like or agree with. In this respect, "Nazi" means "social justice kid with Che Guevara shirt who believes he has the right to physically hurt those with opinions he doesn't like".
>>
>>91106234
>Democrats have got to get their asses back in gear, that's a start.
Right, because our parties are just chalk full politicians with the people in mind.
>They need a candidate That'll work for the working class folk, especially the rust belt.
This is rich. I'm sorry that there's a bad taste in our mouth after Billy and company sold us down the river.

However I do agree RINOS and career politicians have to go.
>>
>>91106281
There's a possibility they just didn't like him you know.
>>
>>91106336
>And there's something to that idea
I mean, if your idea of a well run society is one that suppresses viewpoints through fear. Even if it weren't inefficient, it's hardly the way we want to run the world.
>>
>>91106337
Ah...I guess sometimes input from a different frame of reference is refreshing.
>>
File: Nick Spencer.png (47KB, 577x243px) Image search: [Google]
Nick Spencer.png
47KB, 577x243px
>>91097046
Well, there were a ton of people on Twitter calling Nick Spencer a Nazi because Cap and allegedly Magento joined Hydra. I don't know how many of them would actually punch him, but certainly there was a lot of violent sentiment in their Twitter rhetoric. Anon's idea >>91096587 isn't hugely far-fetched.
>>
File: Nick Spencer vs the Blacks.png (203KB, 633x586px) Image search: [Google]
Nick Spencer vs the Blacks.png
203KB, 633x586px
>>91106386
I can't believe we used to like Spencer. Superior Foes was a fluke.
>>
>>91105907
>Can I ask why she doesn't go for [type of visual style for showing time and/or environment changing] and instead
chooses to present [the story]?
I presume because she wanted to just do a fancy bit in the comic one time? A huge percentage of artists would prefer to show whatever they're making in a different form than what they ended up doing, but still use interesting ideas in it every now and then.
Hell this is actually quite a good thing to do in a comic, since you can have a lot of little things happening in the background that you'd entirely miss in different formats.
For a weird analogy from a tired person: just because my PC isn't the best I can afford, it doesn't mean I'm not going to get a good keyboard to use for it.
>>
File: 1473213821230.jpg (3MB, 4968x3456px) Image search: [Google]
1473213821230.jpg
3MB, 4968x3456px
Out of curiosity how many of these proposed freedom warriors would actually want to punch pic related?
>>
File: 1473753008672.jpg (192KB, 546x558px) Image search: [Google]
1473753008672.jpg
192KB, 546x558px
>>91106457
This one I just found in my folder, but I think it's fun all things considered.
>>
File: pol gets triggered.jpg (130KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
pol gets triggered.jpg
130KB, 1600x900px
>>91106332
People are defending the punching of ACTUAL nazis and pointing out the fact that the comic is silly and surreal enough that its most likely what it's referring to. /pol/ can't shut up about their stupid victim complex and keep coming to other boards to whine about it, and everyone else is getting sick of it, that hardly makes this board "overrun by tumblr"
>>
>>91106509
>People are defending the punching of ACTUAL nazis
Correct, because if you punch nazis they start punching back, remember how that went last time?
>>
File: questionman.jpg (18KB, 378x293px) Image search: [Google]
questionman.jpg
18KB, 378x293px
>>91106509
What makes nazis any worse than communists?

Don't mistake this for whataboutism, I just want to know why cartoon characters never go back in time and punch Pol Pot or Chairman Mao. Where's the heroic strong black woman punching the torturers of the khmer rouge or the stopping the Soviet NKVD from killing Polish partisans?
>>
>>91106603
Reminds me of 1984.
Orwell took inspiration from the soviets being enemies, then allies, then enemies again from real life and applied it to Oceana
>>
>>91106603

People have deluded themselves into the idea that "Real communism hasn't been tried yet lmao" It's kinda baffling really. There's a Marxist convention that's gonna be happening in my city next month, fucking kill me.
>>
>>91106603

Because what's wrong with nazi ideology is more easily digestible. Racial genocide = bad.

A lot of the greater crimes of communist regimes were because of political issues or even infighting that would require -some- knowledge of the context. When stories with communists as the bad guys were more common, they were similarly dumbed down as nazis are (muh freedom, muh long lines to get food, etc.)
>>
>>91106653
>A lot of the greater crimes of communist regimes were because of political issues or even infighting that would require -some- knowledge of the context.
I'm sure the millions of dead can rest in peace knowing it was only political issues that caused the death of all they know.
>>
>>91106627
Why does it have to be enemies that have no real relevance in today's world? Why aren't these superheroes punching Obama for the suffering he caused millions in the middle east or for sanctioning the horrific physical and mental torture of prisoners in Guantánamo?

Hell for that matter, why aren't these supposed heroes ever punching Islamic terrorists, suicide bombers, sleeper agents and the vicious executioners of ISIS?

Doesn't the fact that they only ever dare to lash out at long-dead bad guys seem unintentionally comical and tragic, since it means they just ignore (and thereby condone) the real evils of the world?
>>
>>91106653
You know you can just say you like communism, I have no such reservations about naziism (albeit I prefer plain fascism). You don't have to initiate damage control like that.
>>
>>91106699
>Why does it have to be enemies that have no real relevance in today's world?
That's a good question, maybe it's because there are few people that most can agree are bad.
>Obama
Prime example, while I'm no fan I very much approved of tormenting the middle east, however I'd rather we invade and conquer, also every last detainee in guantanamo should be pressed for information and disposed of.

>Hell for that matter, why aren't these supposed heroes ever punching Islamic terrorists, suicide bombers, sleeper agents and the vicious executioners of ISIS?
Another good question, most people should be behind that.

>Doesn't the fact that they only ever dare to lash out at long-dead bad guys seem unintentionally comical and tragic, since it means they just ignore (and thereby condone) the real evils of the world?
Possibly, I wonder if they see themselves as the protagonist, or maybe even controversial when they beat the dead horse, if I were to call them anything prole comes to mind.
>>
>>91106690

> new regime overthrows old regime, kills everyone who disagrees
> not related to politics
>>
>>91091821
It is when you dub everyone you don't agree with a nazi
>>
>>91106797
>kills everyone who disagrees
>or doesn't conform
>or doesn't meet standards
>or lives in the wrong place
>or is in the way after the army had a bad day

>just politics
>>
>>91106355
As an Yuropoor I honestly deeply disagree.

The US seems totally crippled by the intense polarization tearing up the country and the US VS THEM CHOOSE YOUR SIDE WITH US OR AGAINST US mentality. With a multiparty system there's other parties you can sort of shift your support to if one party starts fucking up, with a two-party system with a heavy US VS THEM emphasis abandoning ship and joining "the enemy" after years or decades of having thought of them as essentially the evil destroying the country can be too emotionally hard to do.

When there's many parties, you can grow disillusioned with the party you've supported in the past, but you don't need grit your teeth and vote for the guys you hate, because there's several other options too. So power dynamics can shift more easily. Also there's slightly less tension in the society in general because it's not a huge conflict between two opposing factions
>>
>>91106870
There are sub-parties you know, they just don't matter.
>>
>>91106819
If the people who disagree with me quote Nazis unironically then yeah you're a Nazi. More humorous are white Americans talking about genetic purity when it's pretty much guaranteed their ancestors were niggers or Jewish or some other undesirable. Your purity is arguable if you're a European native but if your family settled in America prior to the influx of immigrants in the early 20th century you probably have some mud in your blood and need to stop frontin'
>>
>>91106911
On the contrary they are pure, pure native american.
>inb4 indians.
>>
>>91106336
>The idea is to "make racists afraid" so that basically they're too scared to cause trouble.
That's absolutely retarded, as it'll only make them angrier and give them more drive and more power through a victim complex and "proof" of "needing to defend" themselves (violently). It'll give them justification to get violent too, since they're "only defending themselves" and "the other side started it".

Like, do you think it's okay to beat your neighbour up? What if they punch you first, for no reason other than them not liking your political opinion? It's suddenly a lot more okay to use violence because you didn't start it, it's in self-defense, right?

Violence tends to breed more violence.
>>
No one but a terminally attention-starved edgelord would think "punch nazis" is a controversial statement.

Superhero comics have had that as the default reaction to Nazis for 70 years, and no one started accusing Marvel of being too political when they decided the Red Skull should be a bad guy.

>b-b-but SJW's call everyone they don't like Nazis

Irrelevant. The "punch Nazis" meme came from a time someone punched an actual self-proclaimed Nazi. Take your weepy persecution complex elsewhere.
>>
>>91091519

That would be a shame, though it's probably the best for Meredith's career. Not sure what she believes but with a series like hers the best way to expand your audience and success is to increase the pandering. I loved Octopus Pie back in college, stopped reading a few years for no particular reason.

Best of luck to Meredith.
>>
>>91106961
context matters

We all know they're not talking about open combat with the Wehrmacht. They're talking about physically assaulting people for having different political opinions.
>>
>>91106965
Well Octopus Pie is pretty much ending in a few weeks so I doubt this is a last minute pander-fest to up readership.
>>
>>91092155
Because a lot of girls do roller derby so its realistic
>>
>>91106954
>It'll give them justification to get violent too, since they're "only defending themselves" and "the other side started it".
If you're being attacked, you should defend yourself. Or do these people really think that they can crybully and threaten people without any consequences down the line?
>>
>>91101748
No, being a centrist is fine, but not everyone is.
Thread posts: 260
Thread images: 34

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.