[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Secret Six Storytime Part 3: The Birds of Prey!

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 164
Thread images: 108

Good evening. Tonight I will be storytiming four and a bit issues of Simone's Birds of Prey. This was released a few months after the end of their mini-series, and the team is currently working as a mercenary squad.

This is the last story arc that Simone wrote before leaving the BoP for the first time. A U.S. Agent named Spy Smasher (a legacy character) is blackmailing Oracle into letting her use the Birds for a not-so-legal operation. The story opens the Russian Winter...

Part 1: >>90982087
Part 2: >>91021390
>>
If you have any questions about the Birds of Prey at this time, sorry I probably can't answer them. It has been a while since I read this run
>>
>>
Misfit is one of those OC's that Simone tried to push, and was mostly ignored by everyone else
>>
Barda's a big girl, she can handle it. The team had just run a not-so-legal operation in Mexico. Something about a metahuman prison, the details escape me
>>
>>
>>
I said Russia, I meant to say Azerbaijani

Last time Barda was in a red dress, it was actually Plastic man
>>
Creote's actually gay
>>
>>
Here we go!

Blake trying to be as smooth as possible
>>
Knockout does not approve
>>
Blake, you were going somewhere, then you just HAD to lick her
>>
It is a bit of a running joke that there is rarely actually Six of them in the group
>>
>>
Justice League International has had a rough couple of years. Wasn't Ted dead by now as well?
>>
>>
>>
Pretty good use of "object in distance" here
>>
>>91070450
Aren't they in the USSR, not russia?
>>
>>
Hawk Girl seems pretty pleased with herself, though she must be cold in that costume
>>
I do like that Knockout seems to have pet names for everyone
>>
>>91070988
Yeah, I forgot about that. All I remembered was "former ussr, cold weather"
>>
She had been dead since the mid 1990's
>>
>>
>>91071162
>>
>>
>>
>>91071187
Thanks for the bump, it is a pretty slow night
>>
>>91071247
>Thanks for the bump, it is a pretty slow night
You welcome anon.
>>
>>91071247
and I won't lie, it's only the last few pages of this storytime that really have anything to do with the S6 Ongoing series
>>
>>
Oh those silly oligarchs and their cults
>>
>>91070450
Will Birds of Prey and Secret Six ever be good again?
>>
Yes Floyd, we get it
>>
>>91071342
Have you looked into the current BoP run? I checked out after the first few issues (mostly because of the art), and the N52 version just seemed off
>>
Hey look, it's everyone's favorite lawyer from the JSA threads!
>>
Oh yeah, so this is who they got for their sixth member. Really stretching the budget there Scandal
>>
Scandal probably thinks she could survive a fall
>>
>>91071425
>Hey look, it's everyone's favorite lawyer from the JSA threads!
Second Favorite besides Adrian.

http://imgur.com/a/5mMJh
>>
>>
>>91071493
I was not around when that was last run by JSAnon, or was it ever?

Scandal ready to throw down
>>
>>91070450
fuck... I would read along, but I have to work on my thesis
anyway, have a bump
>>
>>91071535
>I was not around when that was last run by JSAnon, or was it ever?
She has not story-time Vigilante I did a few month back.
>>
Having Scandal wear the mask really kind of hides that Nicola Scott only draws ~4 faces
>>
>>91071536
Thanks for the bump. If you are interested in the solo series, only check out the last ~10 pages at the end of this
>>
>>
Misfit continues to be an annoyance. I like to think that Harley ran both of them over
>>
For those following along, how are your evenings?
>>
Of course Spy Smasher set you up, she hates Oracle for petty reasons because of a race in college
>>
>>
>>
The BoP did ruin their nice car
>stormfront
>>
>>91071846
True.
>>
The match-up that people have been waiting for!
>>
>>
>>
>>91071867
Nice
>>
>>
Watch out Scandal, Knockout has eyes for another lady
>>
Pretty good panel separation here
>>
>>
Fucking Misfit
>>
Pretty good fighting banter
>>
Pictured: not very good fighting banter
>>
>>91070576
Barda was shaping up to be such a fun character in this book

Before it was editorially mandated that every newgod had to die
>>
Well, Misfit and Harley are almost equal in being annoying, so this fits
>>
Still on the battlefield, Blake and Helena are flirt/fighting
>>
I just noticed that Manhunter is missing her coif-thing in this spread
>>
>>91070804
I really like Catman. Hes the guy who seems normal at first but then you realize hes just a bit crazy, but is still functional in society when he wants to be. Hes like Batman+1, also I fucking loooooooooooooooove his costume design. The tattered cape really adds a lot.

>>91071846
Seriously the cape is so great and he has just the right amount of pouches to look prepared but not over prepared. The smiley face button can go die in a fire though
>>
>>91072148
Yep, that is roughly where I stop tonight,
with the first assassination attempt
>>
>>
>>91072250
The ongoing has a lot of Catman related stuff (and one very, very good story arc) because he is Simone's favourite
>>
Knockout is great
>>
whoops
>>
Meanwhile, Helena and Blake are almost doing it
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
No one dislikes Spy Smasher more than Simone, and she made her
>>
The Six not knowing their mission perimeters is a reoccurring theme
>>
This might just be a snow-costume for Huntress, because I think she went back to the ab-hole suit shortly after
>>
>click all the rivers

Is freakishly relevant to Ragdoll's situation up ther
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>91072875
Thanks, probably the last bump I'll need to finish this tonight
>>
The power of Guy Gardner
>>
>>
You probably saw that coming
>>
Remember, there can only be one craaazy person on the team at once
>>
This is what a lot of people were waiting for.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>91073112
>>
Babs is getting ready to roll over and hit a bitch
>>
And that's the end of the issue. The next few pages are from the next issue (108), which is the end of Simone's run on this volume of Birds of Prey. I've skipped the cover, because the Six are only in it for a few pages
>>
Hell, I'll post the cover anyways. If anyone really wants to know about this issue: Babs invited Spy Smasher to a gym, beats the shit out of her with some assistance, then stares her down with literally all of the recurring Birds of Prey characters watching
>>
>>
Damn it Oracle
>>
Next Issue, presumably sometime after they left Russia/Azerbaijan: The Team has split up for now
>>
This was a different writer, so I don't know how much Simone had to do with their dialogue
>>
>>
Damn Scott
>>
>>
Right, some relationship drama was happening. I think I'll skip a page in a second
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>
Rest in Peace, editorially mandated bullshit
>>
Want to learn what happened? Read Death of the New Gods, by Jim Starlin! Or Better yet, don't!
>>
Next time on the Secret Six storytime: The Big Guy appears! Next storytime will be the first seven issues of the ongoing, posted maybe tomorrow
>>
>>91073789
Thanks
>>
Great choice
>>
>>91073789
Thank You anon.
>>
>>91071342

No. Simone was the reason for it being good anymore and she hates DC
>>
>>91074113
She's got two issues of Clean Room left at Vertigo (one on Wednesday) but after that, who knows. She has an Image title coming up.
>>
>>91074113
They dicked her around on BoP and forced her off the book for McKeever who turned out to be a bust and terrible fit for DC. Countdown to Final Crisis killed off Knockout and Barda. And the reboot wiped out all the progress on Secret Six
>>
>>91074271
Didn't they also fire her via email because of the Batgirl N52 run?
>>
>>91074662
They brought her back on like two days later
>>
>>91072147
Which actor do you hear when you read Deadshot? Will Smith doesn't jive all that well with how Simone writes him.
>>
>>91074662
>>91074739
That is not even the worse part since all the writers on Batbooks were forced to do crossovers with Snyder and mimic his style once his book took off because of Mike Marts. A firing would have been a mercy killing.
>>
>>91075241

Jeffrey Dean Morgan, who played Comedian in Watchmen.
>>
>>91075388
I can't imagine that she was happy with Babs being Batgirl again either, because she wrote such a good oracle
>>
>>91073461
That man's upper legs are remarkably smooth
>>
>>91074113
Simone is still one of the biggest defenders of DC.
>>
>>91075845
Stockholm Syndrome.
>>
>>91071104
And they say chivalry is dead.
>>
Thanks for the storytime!

I'm doing well tonight, how about you guys?
>>
>>91073054
Someday, Secret Six will be arguing over what to do with a given person and that argument won't be punctuated by Floyd shooting them.

To the confusion of everyone participating.
>>
>>91077327
Seriously. we are 16 issues deep (plus the ~38 later), and Floyd has done this twice already.

I think I remember him doing it Spoilers for main series after that guy who kidnapped Blake's son refuses to pay them
>>
>>91077524
Nevermind He shoots himself
>>
I miss pre-52 Secret 6 the most. I liked the silly background stories that went on. Like how Catman was their unofficial chef and everyone hated his cooking but at the same time they were too lazy to make anything themselves so they ate it anyway. The only thing he could cook was eggs, so when Scandal went grocery shopping she bought 2 carts of eggs. When asked if she liked eggs she said no, but was buying them anyway.
>>
>>91073789
Thanks OP.
>>
>>91075388
>>91075500
I think she left right before Marts did and before Batgirl got to be happier in tone too lol
>>
>>91072250
I'm reading the N52 run right now (early on) and holy shit is Catman's costume a disaster
>>
>>91070450
>>
>>91077605

New 52 Secret Six was good too. It took me awhile to get used to the new team, by the end it was almost as good as pre 52 Simone.
>>
>>91075845
because Simone knows marvel is worse. what she has said about marvel's editorial culture years ago has turned out be very prescient in these recent years.
>>
>>91070533
Misfit was pretty popular actually
Some people on tumblr run a "Misfit" day every year where they make a bunch of fanart/fic for her
>>
>>91071342
Never :(
Babs as Batgirl and not Oracle means her character loses so much of the charm, and the push to make all the heroes young and relatable (Batgirl of Burnside, Dinah singing in a band) instead of being in their 30s and being experienced means that the humor is terrible and the characters shallow.

Helena probably is the closest to her old self
>>
>>91072457
So everyone in this battle just wants to fuck each other?
>>
>>91072953
I fucking love Barda, god damn.
>>
>>91071493
That's a dark story.
>>
>>91071042
>Low single digits celsius

My bedroom was at that temperature over the winter. It's not that cold.
>>
File: splut.jpg (892KB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
splut.jpg
892KB, 1988x3056px
I miss Misfit's powers when Black Alice used them.

It was sooooooo funny
>>
>>91079557
It's amazing she's got that mileage, because holy fuck do I find the character annoying.
>>
>>91083612
>>91079557
She's pretty much the subject-zero for the Marvel Womanchild character that is apparently popular these days, but with the excuse that she is literally a young person
>>
>>91084774
At least here that's intentional off-tone so you can play with it a bit. And actually being a young person does a lot to legitimize that tho it's still very annoying when it's universal.
>>
b6mp
>>
>>91070450
>>
Bump for link to next part
>>
Bumpin again
>>
Bump for next
>>
>>91073117
yes let's be friends just like hatter
>>
>>91079552
What did she say?
>>
>>91088371
Part Four: >>91094867
Thread posts: 164
Thread images: 108

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.