[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Capes or loincloths, /co/?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 10

File: Barbarians and babes.jpg (456KB, 1500x509px) Image search: [Google]
Barbarians and babes.jpg
456KB, 1500x509px
By which I mean, do you prefer more typical superheroes or barbarian/Jungle lord type characters?
and also we can discuss the similarities and differences of the genres and their respective tropes, I geuss
>>
File: He-Man2002_MC_Complete.jpg (49KB, 400x531px) Image search: [Google]
He-Man2002_MC_Complete.jpg
49KB, 400x531px
>>91068100
While he wears a loincloth, I would assert that Conan is in fact a cape, as he is a generic good-hearted guy with suerpowers and a secret identity who has a lot of adventures that only serve to preserve the status quo
>>
Loincloths.

I like my men the way I like my burgers: with not much on them.
>>
>>91068184
wait, do you like burgers with thin patties or big, with lots of beef?
>>
File: RCO012_1489728330.jpg (698KB, 1041x1600px) Image search: [Google]
RCO012_1489728330.jpg
698KB, 1041x1600px
>>91068150
You mean He-Man, not Conan.

But at any case, He-Man is a Fantasy Warrior as well, not a cape character. The secret identity is not always consisternt element (He-Man originally didn't have secret identinty, and was tossed away, at a certain point in the modern comics). And more to preserve the status quo, he is a ruler that fights for his people and his world. And He-Man will use lethal force if it's necessary, something that cape characters generally don't.
>>
>>91069335
alright, there's the problem. i was talking about cartoon He-man, you were talking about comic He-Man.
Both cartoons had He-Man as a cape
MOST of the comic univseres have He-man as a cloth
>>
>>91069430
Even in the cartoons, He-Man is not cape. He is a mystical champion, a magical guardian, which is a Fantasy concept. And the secret identity has to do more with Grayskull's mystical nature. It's like a test for He-Man himself, to prove that he is worthy of such power.
>>
>>91069611
>He is a mystical champion, a magical guardian
so's SHAZAM/Billy Batson/Captain Marvel. and Thor.
>>
File: mapofeternia_full.jpg (68KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
mapofeternia_full.jpg
68KB, 640x427px
>>91069735
Nope.
Because Masters of the Universe belong to a techno-barbaric world, with its own history and building. He-Man and Eternia are pure Sword and Planet genre, like the Warlords of Mars, but combined with Howard's Conan, and Lucas's Star Wars.
>>
>>91070267
its literally just superhero tropes stuffed into the setting. Are ya gonna tell me Mightor isn;t a superhero because he takes place in caveman/dinosaur times?
are ya gonna tell me the Legion of Superheroes aren't Superheroes because they come from the future?
are Disney's Big Hero Six not superheroes because they come from an alternate History?
He-Man, in the cartoon, is a superhero in a strange setting. he fits literally every criterium of super-heroics. Costume, powers, secret identity, rogue's gallery, even a no-kill code (in the comics)
>>
File: Alley-Oop-Comics-b-1.jpg (472KB, 953x1400px) Image search: [Google]
Alley-Oop-Comics-b-1.jpg
472KB, 953x1400px
>>91070660
Calling He-Man a superhero is more akin to calling Alley Opp or Buck Rogers superheroes.
>>
>>91070660
With such logic, even Aragorn, or the Legend of Zelda is capeshit.
But more in detail:
>Costume??:
What costume??? He-Man wears the typical barbarian loincloth not some capeshit costume. At the best he will put some kind of techno-medieval armor.

>Powers:
Strength, mainly. Which is such a common thing between Fantasy/Mythological characters, from Hercules to Conan.
And then he wields Magical weapons: Also another clear Fantasy element.

>Secret Identity:
Not consistent. And only because to avoid the mystical connection with Grayskull.

>Rogue's gallery
Well let's see:
Skeletor: inspired by Howard's Thulsa Doom and the lich wizards in general.
King Hsss: inspired by Howard's Thoth Amon
Armies of orcs, goblins, trolls. And i can continue. Nothing to do with capeshit again.

>The no-kill code:
Appears only in the Filmation cartoon, because of the censorship. The same happened with the Conan the Adventurer cartoon. But this hasn't to do about He-Man being capeshit.
>>
>>91068100
Loincloth forever!
>>
>>91071034
alley oop and Buck rogers lack duel identities, so no
>>91071075
>With such logic, even Aragorn, or the Legend of Zelda is capeshit.
absolutely not, no.
>What costume??? He-Man wears the typical barbarian loincloth not some capeshit costume. At the best he will put some kind of techno-medieval armor.
yes, that armor is his costume. the harness and loincloth are what he wears every day, that is a costume.
>Strength, mainly. Which is such a common thing between Fantasy/Mythological characters, from Hercules to Conan.
Strength activated by turning into his superhero form. which is quite clearly a superhero trope
>Skeletor: inspired by Howard's Thulsa Doom and the lich wizards in general. King Hsss: inspired by Howard's Thoth Amon.
Armies of orcs, goblins, trolls. And i can continue. Nothing to do with capeshit again.
Being inspired by something doesn't disqualify you from being a rogue's gallery.
They are a bunch of villains with plots he has to thwart on a regular basis. AKA a rogue's gallery. Your logic makes no sense
>Appears only in the Filmation cartoon, because of the censorship. The same happened with the Conan the Adventurer cartoon. But this hasn't to do about He-Man being capeshit.
Nope, yoru either a liar or massive casual talking out of his ass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMeZ2Bmt15U
18:50, He-Man quite clearly saves Skeletor even though he knows Skeletor will only do more evil. So no, that's wrong.

anyway, your arguments have all been based off of false premises or totally unrelated to the discussion at hand. He-Man is a superhero. he falls into every major superhero trope. You have been completely unable to name someone who falls into such tropes and is not considered a superhero.
lets test your premise: what is the smallest change we can make to He-man Lore for him to be a superhero? if you actually have a definition of superhero, this question will be easy to answer.but something tells me you'll just whine about the question
>>
>>91071419
You are the one, that doesn't know a damn about He-Man apparently.

He-Man's armor is not a "costume". It belongs to his ancestor King Grayskull. It's an honour to an ancestral hero, not some kind of retarded superhero crap.

The strength is part of his mystical transformation. He-Man by calling the Power of Grayskull, the ancestral power, he transformed to his warrior form. It's magical, it's mystical, a common element in various mythologies. It's like what happen when Perseus is receiving the gifts from his father Zeus.

Being "inspired" makes a huge deal. Especially when these characters are wizards, and the toys that came from, in the beginning were going to be about a Conan action figure line.

Nope you are the casual here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XaeuJyw-HGE&index=30&list=PLqcNVz8UuCsKzymF34KCmNJnQMXRTgTwr

10:02
He-Man throws a boulder the size of a house, to kill Skeletor, who only survives because his magical powers.

So no He-Man is not capeshit. Now continue to be delusional with your ignorance.
>>
>>91071419
>alley oop and Buck rogers lack duel identities, so no
So is the Scarlet Pimpernel a superhero?
>>
>>91071895
Yes, he is probably the first.
>>91071875
>He-Man's armor is not a "costume". It belongs to his ancestor King Grayskull. It's an honour to an ancestral hero, not some kind of retarded superhero crap.
thats
A: very canon-dependent
B: completely irrelevant
a costume is a costume, canon explanation does not stop it from being a costume
>The strength is part of his mystical transformation. He-Man by calling the Power of Grayskull, the ancestral power, he transformed to his warrior form. It's magical, it's mystical, a common element in various mythologies.
No, its literally a ripoff of SHAZAM. lightning and all.
>Being "inspired" makes a huge deal.
No its not, for what we're discussing.
>He-Man throws a boulder the size of a house, to kill Skeletor, who only survives because his magical powers.
Magic powers he's well-aware of Skeletor having. That's like saying punching anyone is attempted murder since you cna kill a baby by punching it
.So no He-Man is not capeshit. Now continue to be delusional with your ignorance.
yes he is, and I've been the one stating on-topic facts instead of nonsequiturs and BLATANT lies. I really dig how your sticking with the "He killed people" lie despite how thoroughly disproven it is.
>>
First it's not lighting, it's the manifistation of Grayskull's Power, through the Crystall Orb, or the Starseed, which lies at the center of Eternia. It's not a manifestation of some kind of atmosferic phenomenon. So keep going with this, because you have no idea of MOTU. I have been a MOTU nerd 30 years now. So keep your shit out of here. Mattel themeselves who created the character had the character, they had a barbarian or Viking in their mind, not a capeshit character. Since the creators of He-Man considered him a Fantasy/mythic character, then shut your mouth. He-Man is not capeshit.

Second this is not costume you pleb. A loincloth is not a costume. Unless you consider the barbarians from the Roman Age, capeshit too.

Yes "inspired" is a huge deal, especially when we are talking about a clear rip-off. And if you don't want to be a stubborn ignorant, just google Thulsa Doom, and see from yourself, how basically is the same character with Skeletor.

He-Man is aware of Skeletor's magic powers, but he have no idea, if he can survive. In the scene where Skeletor was begging for his life, he was afraid that he could die if he fall from a cliff, but yeah sure the boulder couldn't crash him....
You are the one, who are the IGNORANT about the MOTU franchise. But if you believe that He-Man is capeshit is part of your own delusional problem.

There are tons of books out there that
>>
>>91073659
>First it's not lighting
its fucking lightning. its literally animated as lightning. you gonna say R2D2 isn't a robot since in-universe they call him a "droid"?
>Mattel themeselves who created the character had the character, they had a barbarian or Viking in their mind, not a capeshit character.
No, they had an ambiguous generic hero who could be placed in any situation in mind.
>Second this is not costume you pleb. A loincloth is not a costume. Unless you consider the barbarians from the Roman Age, capeshit too.
a loincloth and a harness is a costume. you gonna say tights aren't a costume since acrobats wear them in real life? you gonna say capes aren't costumes since kings wear them in rela life?
>Yes "inspired" is a huge deal, especially when we are talking about a clear rip-off. And if you don't want to be a stubborn ignorant, just google Thulsa Doom, and see from yourself, how basically is the same character with Skeletor.
You can rip off as much shit as you want, doesn't stop you from being a superhero. Superman was ripping off Moses, Samson, and Hugo Danner. does that mean h's not a superhero but a literary hero?
>There are tons of books out there that
F
>>
File: archive1.jpg (67KB, 600x754px) Image search: [Google]
archive1.jpg
67KB, 600x754px
>>91074341
>No, they had an ambiguous generic hero who could be placed in any situation in mind.

It's meaningless at this point to argue. You can continue to be ignorant and delusional, as much as you want.
>>
File: skeletortaylor2.jpg (693KB, 1601x1092px) Image search: [Google]
skeletortaylor2.jpg
693KB, 1601x1092px
>>91074341
Mark Taylor's He-Man and Skeletor....
>>
File: original He-Man prototype.jpg (44KB, 597x389px) Image search: [Google]
original He-Man prototype.jpg
44KB, 597x389px
>>91074564
>>91074610
all of that was after the original
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.