[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone explain to me how Hell works in the DC Universe?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

File: Spectre-v3-31.jpg (49KB, 320x500px) Image search: [Google]
Spectre-v3-31.jpg
49KB, 320x500px
Can someone explain to me how Hell works in the DC Universe?

The Spectre comic says suicides go to hell so does that mean stuff like Barry Allen saving the world with his own sacrifice?

Does hell get affected by the new 52 and flashpoint?
>>
>>90963223
From my understanding you get the choose where you go to when you die, the Spectre run where Hal was the host showed Sinestro voluntarily going to Hell because he didnt want Hal's pity. It also showed that Christians go to a Christian place. Buddhist goes to a buddhist place and etc, It was also said that Atheists wander for years not knowing whats going on. I guess Hell works in a different plane of existence like Limbo/Apokalips/New Genesis/Heaven/Olympus and Etc
>>
File: 1422435139254.jpg (2MB, 3975x3056px) Image search: [Google]
1422435139254.jpg
2MB, 3975x3056px
This may help
>>
>>90963223
Sacrifice=/=suicide, at least not according to Christians.
That would make Jesus' death suicide.
>>
>>90963418
Does that still make the Spectre a good guy though?
>>
>>90963312
>From my understanding you get the choose where you go to when you die,
It's far more complicated than that.
>>90963223
Lots of people on this board usually just read one Vertigo book and assume it is a wherever your soul thinks it belongs rule. But there's tons of other factors.
Afterlifes can reject people, so if an evil soul tries to go to Heaven it gets rejected. Heaven also rejects anyone still alive.
Powerful beings such as demons can force your soul to their realm via stealing or contract or just dying in the wrong way.
Also they are all somehow connected in that you can use one beliefs form of contacting the dead to reach somehow who would presumably go to a different belief systems afterlife.
Also that's called matrydom not suicide and can actually make you a saint in Christianity.
How would nu52 have affected Hell? Like what changes in Hell do you think potentially could happen from it?
>>
>>90963684
You don't have to be evil to get rejected from heaven in dc though

Abin Sur was in hell for pete sakes
>>
>>90963711
I mean he was offered to go to heaven iirc but he just stayed with Hal because he needed the support but Yeah, him being sent to hell because he chose Hal was a shit deal
>>
>>90963684
>Like what changes in Hell do you think potentially could happen from it?

Hal Jordan being the Spectre?

Is there a heaven and hell for every universe? Is there 52 Thomas Wayne's sharing one heaven? What happens if a soul lived in a universe that got destroyed in crisis?
>>
>>90963729
also swamp thing's girlfriend

i really can't paint heaven as the good guys in dc
>>
>>90963711
Oh yeah. Being evil or alive is the complete list of reasons to be rejected. Heaven actually seems to be hard to get to into in DC for some reason.
>>
Can you die in hell and not have to deal with the suffering?
>>
>>90963732
>Hal Jordan being the Spectre?
That was undone long before nu52. Spectre is a being that bonds to mortals so if Hal's life changed then Spectre was bonded to other people during his time on Earth.

I can't think of any stories that have other dimensions dead going to a shared afterlife. The Multiversity map would imply they all go to the same afterlife, but experience the realm's avatar appearance for their world. Like Darkseid is the same everywhere and if you meet him it is just your universe avatar form of him, and same applies to Apokalypse and Hell presumably.
If a universe is destroyed then everyone died and would go the afterlife as any other death unless it was some kind of soul stealing destruction.
>>
>>90963768
>is the complete list of reasons
*Is not the complete
My bad. Who knows how many reasons people can get rejected from Heaven.
>>
>>90963223

A sacrifice is not the same thing as a suicide. If so, then say a Catholic, religious firemen who constantly goes into burning buildings would never be able to enter the kingdom of heaven, and instead, in spite of his good deeds and hard work, would be consigned to Lucifer's piano bar on the Sunset Strip, filled with nekked women drunk on the bitter tears of all the saints in heaven.
>>
Intent probably matters most. Like I could see sacrifice being suicide if you're saving people purely to selfishly hope it erases your sin of trying to die.

But of course that's not (most) superheroes.
>>
What is the entity of Death for humans? We have Black Racer for new gods, Nekron for Lanterns(?) Black Flash for speedsters
>>
>>90964896
Gaiman will tell you that those are all aspects of his Death and not separate entities.
>>
>>90964896
St of Killers or just Death of the Endless depending on the story.
>>
>>90963223
I tried looking this up last night after the JLA thread. From what I could gather from a surprisingly detailed wikipedia page, Hell was not used a whole lot under the CCA. It reappeared in the 1980s Swamp Thing, and that depiction kind of became the standard "Hell" appearance in the DCU (this included Hell being weakened and later ruled by a triumvirate under Gaiman)

Hell split off for a bit with Vertigo from the main DCU. Gaiman's Sandman developments were considered canon because of a "Who's who of the DCU" issue that included his characters (and Hellblazer characters) in the hierarchy of Hell. After Gaiman though, no one really paid attention to what was being done in Vertigo Hell. By the end of Carey's Lucifer, Hell should not have technically existed anymore, but no one really paid any attention to that.

Meanwhile in the main DCU, Keith Giffen wrote a miniseries in 2008 that laid out a brand new hierarchy of Hell

Carey's Lucifer also had a weird place called the Mansions of Silence, a place where aborted universes and creations existed in a form of purgatory
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.