[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dan Slott freaks out

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 520
Thread images: 26

File: dan-slott-cbr.jpg (74KB, 640x369px) Image search: [Google]
dan-slott-cbr.jpg
74KB, 640x369px
So Dan had an episode on CBR regarding the marriage of MJ and Peter.
>>
Believe all you want.
It AIN’T happening.
I’ve told people this for 9 years.
Me pitching RYV and getting permission from the Powers That Be to do it– and it selling well enough to merit an ongoing– is as good as you’re going to get (so please keep the sales for Gerry & Ryan’s book up, up, UP!).
Every single editorial team since the marriage worked hard to undo it.
You will not see the marriage restored in the core continuity ever.
It’s far more likely that you’d see a line-wide reboot that reset Spider-Man to high school years (and on model with the creators’ original intent) then the marriage being restored. And THAT is never going to happen either.
>>
Again, believe all you want. Put MJ and her wedding dress or showing off her wedding ring in EVERY message board avatar in the world. Still never happening. Ever. Ever. Ever.
I’m sure I’ll be here next year telling you the same thing.
Apparently, that wasn’t clear enough for some.

Not happening. Over a quarter of a century has been spent by Marvel to undo it. The change from 2007 is the one where they put their collective foot down. It ain’t happening. Sorry. Ever. It’s not a question of “current writers” or “current editorial”. Marvel wants it to stay undone. Could the CHARACTERS come back together in the core continuity in a relationship that’s not a marriage? Sure. But the marriage is NEVER being officially restored.
Clear? Still no.

This isn’t a “let’s argue about it” or “let’s debate it”.
This is fact. This is in stone. This is a done deal.
There is no administration in the near or distant future that will ever reinstate the marriage to the core continuity version of Spider-Man EVER again.
Could the two of them become a couple again? Yes. That could happen.
Could there be an alternate continuity where they’re married? You bet. And we worked to make that happen.
Will they ever be married again? Never.
Is there some future person out there who loves the marriage and will someday wind up a creator or editor at Marvel? Could happen.
Will they be able to reinstate the marriage of these two Marvel characters?
No.
A person who believes that’s a scenario that could happen does not have a realistic grasp on how a company/corporate entity like Marvel functions.
That’s the reality of the situation.
>>
Post link faggot
>>
Apparently, there is still some wiggle room.

It’s not happening.
Ever.
It’s never, ever going to happen.
There is more going on then just people willing or wanting to write for that set up.
There is no person, no matter how passionately they cared about the pre-OMD setup who could ever make it through all the steps and paces to get to a position of editorial power AND be given the reins of the Spider-Unit who would EVER be allowed to put this back into play.
There is no lottery ticket BIG enough that anyone could win it, buy Marvel, and make this status quo happen.
It’s NEVER, EVER, EVER coming about.
No matter how much you want it.
It ain’t happening.
There is NO possible path to this.
….

It wasn’t some magic concurrence of “THESE GUYS” want to undo it.
EVERYONE in power was working on how to undo it NOT THAT LONG INTO THE MARRIAGE.
The undoing was going to happen. It was just a matter of when.
Now that it HAS happened, it AIN’T unhappening.

Your premise of why-and-how it happened isn’t accurate, and the obstacles against the inverse happening are– when you understand the larger forces at work here– are INSURMOUNTABLE.
>>
I can think of at least 3 specific things we could do in the book tomorrow (NOT MJ or marriage related) that would cause a boost in sales– and that we WON’T do. (And, no, I won’t tell you what those are.)

Because there are battles you fight and there are wars you win.

There are elements of this job which are about brand management. I could go into how and why this works, but I’m not going to.
There are factors at work here that are not taken into consideration by fans.
There are things fans don’t even add into their “math” when they think about outcomes that they’d like (like, in this case, reinstating the marriage).
Yes, everyone who works in comics IS a fan. No one falls into the job of writer or editor or editor-in-chief by accident.
Everyone who works in comics does this because we dearly love it.
But there are aspects to this job where if you approach it PURELY as a fan and DON’T take those factors into account– you will NOT survive. You will NOT get certain assignments. You will NOT reach certain levels or positions. You will NOT get to affect the changes you would like. And because of that, there are some changes/choices/concepts that WILL NEVER HAPPEN. Not oh-maybe-someday-the-right-person-will-end-up-in-the-right-place-and-THEN-it’ll-happen! NO. NEVER. Again, it’s about fighting battles vs. winning wars.
>>
This reminds me of the really old days when he freaked out on scans_daily a couple of times.
>>
Some days I wish the MJ-marriage-fans could understand the amount of water I had to carry– and the political mine fields I had to dance through– to GET Renew Your Vows to happen. THAT was a longshot. And THAT was in an alternate reality. You are NEVER getting that close again. (And, BTW, you’re welcome.)

This is something even above an EIC at this point. Using the example of “well some day a new EIC might change it on a whim” argument is inapplicable. It feels right from a fan perspective, but it has no bearing on the reality of the situation. There are a lot of “fan beliefs” that work that way. For example, the “Now that Disney owns Marvel, things will change the way *I* think they should” recurring fan fantasies– like who will be fired for saying what online or what properties will be allowed to cross-over with which things.

There are things fans really want to believe because they feel right or possible– but for anyone on the inside, we look at that and go “they just don’t get it”.
>>
The fantasy scenario where someone “comes to power” who wants to reinstate the marriage, while a false one for many reasons, with every passing year is even less realistic as a fantasy. Marvel editorial is in lockstep on this (which is besides the point, but bear with me for a sec). Every 18 year old who started reading Spider-Man at the age of 8 has grown up with a post-OMD Spider-Man. For them, the marriage was undone, and they’re cool with that. Those post-Marriage stories are the ones they grew up reading. Those are the Marvel college interns cycling in now. Those are the assistant editors of the future, who will one day become the editors of the future, and the editor in chiefs in the future. And every year that gets set further into stone. There is no 30 year old or 40 year old who’s going to magically pop into Marvel editorial from the side. And year after year, the people who’ve grown up who feel as strongly as you do about the 1987 marriage status quo are further and further away from Marvel editorial positions. With that in mind– IT DOESN’T MATTER. Because even the ones in those positions aren’t really the ones who can or are going to change it.
>>
Alright I'm not a shipperfag so I could literally not give a shit about any of this, but why is Dan Slott so adamant about Peter and MJ never getting married?

Is there a story here? Is he a hardcore Gwen/Peter shipper? I don't get it.
>>
Marvel doesn't know what to do with its characters, this is nothing new.
>>
There is no lottery ticket win big enough that is getting someone into a magic position of power that’s going to change this. There’s no zillionaire who’s a big reinstate-the-marriage fan who can rest this property away from Disney/Marvel Entertainment. It’s never, ever, ever happening.

I think there could be a run or a storyline that resolves OMD. Or one that gives Spidey a win over Mephisto. But the end result of that story would still NOT be the reinstatement of the marriage. That’s never happening for many, many, many ironclad, set-in-stone reasons.
….

Spider-Man and Spider-Man’s status as a character, brand, and franchise isn’t just the purview of an editor, a group editor, a senior editor, or even the EIC. The fan-dream-scenario of someone who was Spider-Man-marriage-friendly secretly slaving away to rise up through the ranks that way and reinstate the marriage is a tad naive. Why?

Because there are VPs, Senior VPs, the CCO, the publisher, the president, the owner, Marvel Entertainment, Disney…
>>
It’s too simplistic to think that something like the spider-marriage– which was initially rushed into happening– and then was something the Powers That Be tried to undo (unsuccessfully) not that long after– would EVER happen again (and that includes the act of reinstating it).

It just isn’t happening. Even if you’re not a fan– or are even incredibly upset– of how it happened, the fact that it did– and it’s stuck for a decade means that it’s done. And it ain’t EVER happening again.

Why are you crushing fans’ dreams? Because it’s been 10 years. It’s NOT changing. EVER. I’ve seen members of the hardcore fringe argue about this for a decade– and outside of the cathartic act of venting about it– it is a completely pointless waste of energy. It’s NEVER coming back.

Could MJ come back into the book? Yes. Could she be the main love interest again? Absolutely. Will they restore the marriage in the core continuity Spider-Man book? No.

The closest you’re coming to that– EVER– is the Renew Your Vows continuity. So if you like that, please spend some of that energy and dedication supporting it.

The argument that “one day a spider-marriage-loving EIC– or even OWNER– will reinstate it” really should be retired. Because it’s not even a pipe dream. It’s an impossibility– it’s nonsensical, because the system doesn’t work that way. And the silly thing is, with every passing year that impossible argument becomes less and less viable, even by its own “logic”, as the 8 year olds of ten years ago, who grew up w/o the marriage, are getting ready to be the new Marvel college interns of tomorrow.
….
>>
>>90820316
post source
>>
There is no amount of writer-clout in the world that could make this happen. Zero.
J.K. Rowling could show up tomorrow and ask this.
Wouldn’t happen.
It is not a question of clout.

The marriage will never be reinstated in the core continuity. I’m on year 9 of breaking the news to a certain segment of which, judging by your avatar and endless posts, you’re a part of. This is a lock. There are no “people in charge someday” that will bring about your dearest, fondest Spider-y wish. It AIN’T happening. I could spend hours breaking down for you all the magical dream scenarios you could have– and crush them one by one. IT AIN’T HAPPENING EVER.
Responding to comments that Ben Reilly returned after being equally banned by editorial, he says,

The reason for the Ben Reilly embargo is an apples-and-oranges comparison.

It was because multiple creative teams wanted to bring the character back– multiple editorial teams wanted to bring the character back– the powers that be wanted to bring the character back– and it was all a question of timing of when the character would come back.

There is no circumstance at all like that for the marriage. There is a lockstep all the way up to infinity for why the marriage will never, ever, ever be reinstated in the core continuity. Ever. You may get What Ifs? or alternate realities or what have you. But in the core continuity this is a thing which will never, ever, ever happen. Infinity.

There is no time that will ever happen. Ever. I’ll be back to remind of this next year as well as you continue to charge at this windmill yet again. It ain’t happening.
>>
>>90820493
>>90820372
http://community.comicbookresources.com/showthread.php?92750-Thread-Drift-Will-One-More-Day-ever-be-reversed/page16&p=2674226#post2674226
>>
>>90820324
>high school years (and on model with the creators’ original intent)
but he was in college in the creators' original intent
>>
>>90820324
>It AIN’T happening
Yeah, and Peter was never getting his body back either.
>>
>>90820374
>buy Marvel, and make this status quo happen.

Don't fucking test me Slott. I'll force you to suck Bendis' dick when I do while he takes it up the as by some BBC.
>>
>>90820443
I learned a long time ago, Slott is a liar. So obviously MJ and Peter are getting back together.
>>
>next year
>next year
>next year

rrrrRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE...........EEEREEEE.......eeeeeeeeeeee

r-ree
>>
>>90820574
Yeah, fans will just have to sort of get used to Otto Octavius as the new Superior Spider-Man!
>>
>>90820402
>I could go into how and why this works

> but I’m not going to.

Because it doesn't. Sales /still/ haven't recovered after OMD and no fan wants this. Just bring the damn thing back you selfish child.
>>
Why does Slott hate MJ?
>>
Just like Bucky will always be dead and will never, ever come back?
>>
I can appreciate what he's trying to say, but I wish he'd give some explanation as to why. He just keeps saying over and over it can't happen, and that Marvel from editorial up to EIC and beyond has been against it for 25 years.

Why? What's the reason for this?
>>
>>90820656
He was fine with her before, but ever since Superior Spider-Man he lost his mind with no rhythm and reason and the quality of his writing suffered for it.
>>
>>90820439
19 y/o here. I'm not okay with this.
>>
>>90820348
what I don't get is how he insists literally everyone at Marvel hates the marriage and has been working non-stop to get it removed for 25 years
>>
>>90820316
Why is Dan Slott so defensive about this stuff? This guy sounds like those Marveldrones that post on /co/ every time a DC movie comes out.

He sounds like a really pathetic human being.
>>
>>90820715
In a post that wasn't quoted here he says that the marriage was rushed in the comics because when Stan decided to marry the characters in his strip, he got lots of media attention and people wanted to boost the comics as well as a result, but then shortly after they decided the marriage had to go.

He's not BSing there, since that's well documented (the marriage being rushed, if anything) and how the steps to undo it went as far back as Clone Saga - it was basically undoing the marriage and the whole "deal with Venom" and whatever other collateral recent years had to dealt to Peter all in one fell swoop, since the orignal endgame was for Ben to take the Peter Parker identity back.

Then you had the big crash of the 90s and since Marvel was hurting all over they quickly restored Peter, and not wanting to rock the boat any further, they decided they couldn't split MJ and Peter at the end of the Clone Saga.

Sure enough, when the dust settled a bit, the first thing you had was the unsuccessful MJ assassination in the Mackie/Byrne era.
>>
>>90820715
He's got something up his sleeve and is weighting for a big reveal. It's all part of the plan
>>
>>90820806
waiting* ugggg
>>
>>90820443
Basically, Marvel is dead set on the fact that they believe that Peter should have stayed in high school due to the success of Ultimate Spider-Man (which wasn't even that good in hindsight, but I'm getting off topic). Having Peter married ages him (which was the Ditko's original intent. A character that grows and deals with real life issues), and aging Peter means he would be mature. Marvel can't have that since they want Peter to be a goofy teenager for the rest of his life (which /never/ even happened in the actual continuity. When Peter was in highschool he was an edgy loner who felt distant from his peers.)
>>
Is there worse person than Slott in comics right now? I don't mean worse writer, but in terms of character...Why is he such an utter scumbag?
>>
File: slott.png (2MB, 1248x2624px) Image search: [Google]
slott.png
2MB, 1248x2624px
>>90820853
It's so weird for me. He became such a twat.
>>
>>90820853
Uh, he's nowhere near the worst person in comics. Byrne, for example.
>>
File: 1486247308766-co.png (78KB, 286x163px) Image search: [Google]
1486247308766-co.png
78KB, 286x163px
>>90820439
Is this fat fuck saying that a superhero being in a loyal marriage is somehow unrealistic or some shit like that?.
>>
Sooo I can continue to ignore everything Spider-Man related outside of RYV?

Ok then
>>
>>90820765
>This guy sounds like those Marveldrones that post on /co/ every time a DC movie comes out.

Gee, I wonder why...You do realize Slott has admitted to coming on here before, but stopped due to "negativity" Who's to say he hasn't come back?
>>
Canon is a meme, these characters have been going on for 70 years and with influx of movies and overall mass media exposure will ensure they'll at least survive 70 more years, by that time fans who have grown up reading married Spider-man stories will have taken over.
>>
I'd be more interested if anyone on CBR giving him attention stopped REEEEing about the marriage and asked what those plans-that-didn't-come-to-fruition regarding Ben were, and who were the creative teams involved. I feel DeMatteis, when he was on and off writing backups for BND, was involved, probably.

>>90820806
I am reasonably sure he's flailing so hard as a means to get RYV sales (and wank his ego at the same time). That's the only overbearing point all of his tirades have with "never coming back, this is your best bet".
>>
>>90820960
>Who's to say he hasn't come back?
>Implying he ever left

That idiot still come here, I'm sure of it
>>
>>90820977
Yep. In fact I am sure he was on one of those OMD threads yesterday telling everyone it will never be undone.
>>
>full autist.jpg.webm.docx
>>
>>90821028
Oh shit, thread link?. I wanna see it
>>
Didn't he pretend to be another user in CBR before? Or am I thinking of Wacker?
>>
>>90820513
>>90820484
>>90820466
>>90820439
>>90820422
>>90820402
>>90820374
>>90820348
>>90820324

Even his simple explanations are overdrawn and yet poorly articulated.

At the most basic level, he is a terrible writer.
>>
>>90820765
> This guy sounds like those Marveldrones that post on /co/ every time a DC movie comes out.

This just pathetic. The movies are shit, that's why people say they're shit. Do people actually believe this conspiracy crap or is just bait?
>>
>>90820887
Is Byrne still part of the inudstry at all? Did he do anything in the last years besides that shitty star trek photocomic?
>>
File: 1485725140345.jpg (36KB, 415x392px) Image search: [Google]
1485725140345.jpg
36KB, 415x392px
>>90820439
>the Marvel college interns
So they do exist after all.
>>
This exemplifies my biggest problem with marvel right now. This weird adversarial role that the creators have taken in regards to fans. I understand being frustated if fans are vocal about a storyline happening but it's weird to me that he gets so mad about people being passionate about the characters. Wouldn't it be worse for marvel if people stopped caring about the comics or got turned off by the creator being so vocally against a segment of the fanbase.
>>
>>90820887
But Byrne produced good shit.
>>
>>90821093
>Wouldn't it be worse for marvel if people stopped caring about the comics or got turned off by the creator being so vocally against a segment of the fanbase.
well that is starting to happen
>>
>>90820439
>about the 1987 marriage status quo
This "it's old" dismissal is bullshit. The marriage was in top form in 2006, immediately before OMD. It's not a 1987 status quo, it's a 1987-2006 status quo and that's a big difference
>>
>>90821102
Holy fucking shit why is everyone on /co/ so fucking stupid?

The comment I responded to said:

>Is there worse person than Slott in comics right now? I don't mean worse writer, but in terms of character.

We're not talking about talent, we're talking about personality. Byrne is enormously talented, but he's also a massive prick.
>>
>>90821058
It was posted earlier.
>>
>>90821114
I haven't bought Spider-man since ANAD because of Slott.
>>
>>90821093
Is this a general Marvel thing, or just Slott? Who else at Marvel gets into it with fans like this?
>>
>>90820969
It's like you didn't even read what Slott wrote.
>>
>>90821058
>>90783634
>>
>>90821072
t. D*sney intern
>>
I'm feel like we have high school age spiderman in miles.
>>
>>90821147
This far? I'm guessing Slott. He goes as far as to make personal snipes on people posting in the thread ("OH I KNOW YOU AND YOUR PRO-MARRIAGE WEBSITE [this sounds fucking awesome. Can we make this a thing? PRO-MARRIAGE? It sounds as loaded as "pro-life"] AND YOUR ARTICLES ON WHY THIS CAN'T STAND I'M NOT SURPRISED TO SEE YOU HERE")
>>
>>90821158
>It's like you didn't even read what Slott wrote.
That's just standard best practices for comics fans.
>>
>>90820726
He's right on this one though. Most of them did hate it and did everything they could to get out of it. It was only done because Stan was going to marry them in the newspaper comic and said it'd be a good idea to do it in the main comic too.

You have to remember that most of the people writing comics hate marriage as a story in general because it "takes away potentially dramatic stories" i.e. they're lazy hacks who think generic relationship drama with a bunch of different girls is much easier to write.
>>
>>90821147
Spencer
>>
>>90820883
How dare he bring Ms. Lion into this!
>>
Fan-creator communication was a huge mistake. It was fine when it was letters, but the Internet just poisoned things. It made fans more whiny and entitled, and creators angrier and more reactionary, because everyone can now instantly shout at everyone else.
>>
>>90821183
Seriously, do you honestly believe what you're writing or is this just trolling?
>>
>>90820765
>He sounds like a really pathetic human being.

That's because a large number of the people involved in making comic books ARE pathetic human beings.

When the whole "anime was a mistake" meme started, what Miyazaki actually said was how most of the people making anime these days are themselves self-interested, cloistered otaku lacking in real-world experiences and perspective, and so the things they produce are likewise stunted and devoid of substance. The same principle applies to American comics, where instead of people who come in with well-rounded lives and pools of experience to influence their work, all they have to offer is their own regurgitation of the comics other people have already made.

Yes, there are exceptions, but generally they don't manage to make much impact amidst the sea of rehashes. Even when they do, their work inevitably ends up being reduced to fodder for the next crop of geeks lacking in their own ideas.
>>
File: gaha.jpg (134KB, 413x395px) Image search: [Google]
gaha.jpg
134KB, 413x395px
>>90820513
>J.K. Rowling could show up tomorrow and ask this.

Jesus Christ Slott is delusional.

If Rowling turned up at Marvel and said she wanted to write Spider-Man she could do whatever the fuck she wants. Her Spider-Man would outsell every other comic in existence by author reputation alone. Slott would be on his ass so quick his flabby cheeks would be cooked through and through from the friction.
>>
>>90820316
>The marriage will never come back
>Trust me guys there are TONS of reasons
>like so many reasons it will blow your mind
>I had to suck so many cocks to write RYV
>There are so many reasons why OMD is final
>I could tell you all the reasons right here to
>but I won't because you should by RYV
>please buy RYV because ambiguous reasons

He writes so much and says so little
>>
>>90821250
>do you honestly not believe the narrative my fellow astroturfers have worked so hard to create?!
>oh dear, better call an emergency marketing meeting or the boss will be furious!

Maybe you'll have better luck on /tv/, cupcake.
>>
>>90820324
>>90820348
I'm so glad Marvel is failing. Their hatred for their fanbase proves that they don't deserve to exist.
>>
>>90821252
Exactly. And the reaction from the otaku to Miyazaki and comics fans to anyone saying this is the same: angry rejection of the idea and REEEing at the normies.
>>
>>90821186
Miles isn't on the teetering on the fine line of having an autismo break down and shooting up his school, so that'd be a negative.
>>
>>90821255
If someone on Rowling's level showed up at Marvel wanting to write, Marvel would have Slott shot in the head if they wanted it.
>>
After this rant OMD will be undone in less than 5 years.
Slott is vastly overstimating his own influence, especially considering how Amazing Spider-man sales are not that great anymore and a relaunch with new creative team is the fastest way to fix it
>>
>>90820890
He's basically saying that fans coming up nowadays haven't grown up with the marriage so the people coming into the industry now are those raised on a post-marriage status quo, hold no affection to the marriage and thus there's even less of a chance than before of the marriage coming back.

On a deeper level, though, most superhero writers hate marriage as a storytelling device for reasons I already stated (writing cheap relationship drama with what amounts to a harem is way easier than trying to write a long term relationship with a single person) and many self-insert as Peter too thus want to pair him with the types of girls or characters really that they like. Remember that one of the reasons Quesada hated the marriage was that he thought the idea of a "nerd" like Peter being able to marry a supermodel like MJ (the supermodel thing had only been recent; she'd always been a low level actress before that) was unrealistic.
>>
>>90821337
The level of delusion is astonishing. Please be trolling, for your sake.
>>
>>90821267
>Oh boy, when I pull the surprise /so/ many people will buy the comic from word of mouth alone.

>What? People are figuring me out?!?

>Can't let the hype die down before the event happen. It /must/ be a surprise.

>DERAIL DERAIL DERAIL DERAIL!
>>
>>90820853
Bendis, for one.

>>90820883
This, ruining Black Cat, etc. I like to believe the guy who wrote Spider-Island is still there somewhere, though. Like, Superior Spider-Man was a shit idea, but part of the problem was that editorial told him to stretch it for longer. I dunno.

>>90820972
Isn't somewhere else writing Renew Your Vows, though? Judging by >>90783634
I wonder if the success of renew Your Vows wouldn't be a way for Marvel to test the waters about bringing the marriage back later this year.
>>
>>90821267
It's clear he's afraid. He desperately wants Spider-Man to be "his" with the longest run. He wants his run to be the definitive Spider-Man run.

Putting the marriage back would diminish his run and he knows it. He's arguing in his own self interest.

The truth is the marriage will come back. Marvel is slowly moving to its own rebirth. Dan Slott's run will never be remembered in the top runs.
>>
>>90821147
Wacker, Spencer, and that one editor with the fedora. Tom something.
>>
>>90821470
Sorry, love.

Best run along and call that meeting quickly if you want to keep your job.
>>
>>90821465
Besides the FF, are there any high-profile married characters at Marvel?
>>
>>90820422
Who in the fuck above EIC could be blocking this?
>>
>>90821531
Slott clearly wants to be the one who brings the marriage back himself. It's gonna be his grand finale for the series. That way, when people remember Slott's run the'll think of the marriage first, which would paint him in a good light.

>Wow, Slott was such a great visionary for bringing the marriage back.

>And he was writing for /that/ long. What a legend.

Truly Slott is the ultimate Jew.
>>
You know, this little breakdown is our best chance at getting Slott kicked out of the main spider title and, eventually, getting the marriage back. Marvel usually allows their writers and editorial to be pricks in social media but this is a step beyond that, it's just a pathetic meltdown.
>>
>>90821531
That'll only happen if he puts the marriage back.
>>
>>90821604
Dude, if they didn't fire him for telling a fan to go fuck himself (his words), then there's not a chance in hell this will get him fired.
>>
>>90820806
>>90820815

>weighting

Is Slott heavy? Is this how the obese bide their time?
>>
>>90821627
Dude's really rude to the fans. I remember once on his twitter some guy said "I really love your books, but don't infect it with your politics". And he responded with "I see you have a #FreeMilo hashtag in your profile. Please don't let me think less of my readers because of your politics". This was the pre-pedo thing BTW
>>
>>90820909
Spider-man is dead. Bury him. Consider this mercy.

>>90820439
>Every 18 year old who started reading Spider-Man at the age of 8 has grown up with a post-OMD Spider-Man. For them, the marriage was undone, and they’re cool with that.

Reminder that Spider-man sales were halved by OMD and have only fallen further.
>>
>>90821604
>They'll fire him for this
Dude, your appraisal of the media's current climate is really bad.
>>
>>90821558
Can someone help here? Is this person being serious? No one can actually be this stupid, right?
>>
>>90821698
Just ignore it, he's trying to rile you up
>>
>>90820439

>Every 18 year old who started reading Spider-Man at the age of 8 has grown up with a post-OMD Spider-Man.

Because obviously fans never check out older runs.
>>
>>90820765
Because in order to be a Marvel fan you have to be completely ignorant of all other comics, and like eating shit.

>>90821072
t.marveldrone
>>
>>90821695
I'm not saying he'll be fired but If this episode is more exposed and blown out of proportion they might put someone else in amazing spider man and let Slott do a C-D list book
>>
>>90821531
What would be the equivalent of treating Slott the same way as the villian dying at the end of Pan's Labyrinth begging for his son to know the time he died and the mother responding he won't even know his name, because Slott deserves whatever that would be.
>>
>>90820439
This is complete and utter bullshit.
I'm 18 and when I was growing up I watched married Peter on the animated series and read him as a married man, both 616 and as Mayday's father and I can't be the only one.
Fuck you Slott and Marvel, may you all collapse under the pile of your force fed crap.
>>
>>90821647
Weighting = Waiting + Weight Gain
>You inspired me.
>>
>>90821733
Won't happen. Especially because there's no such place interested in minor flotsam like Spider-Man's marriage to cause the large enough repercussions for that.
>>
File: Spider-Man Box Office.jpg (69KB, 584x264px) Image search: [Google]
Spider-Man Box Office.jpg
69KB, 584x264px
>>90821692

Plus, you know, cartoons and merchandising.
>>
>>90821726
Don't retailers keep saying that younger readers are usually more interseted in older runs than keeping up with current ones?
>>
>>90821726
He actually does have a point there. Sure people read older runs, but your ideas of what a character "should" be are formed by what you read when you're young first encounter them.

Like having grown up in the 90s, the Gold/Blue Team era X-Men just feels like their "natural" form even though I've since read mountains of older and newer stories with them.
>>
>>90821698
He's been trolling you for at least the last three posts.
You're either completely retarded, or also him just talking to himself so other people will engage his weak marveldroe/disneyshill bait.
>>
>>90821202
>You have to remember that most of the people writing comics hate marriage as a story in general because it "takes away potentially dramatic stories" i.e. they're lazy hacks who think generic relationship drama with a bunch of different girls is much easier to write.

Which is weird because back when Brand New Day started, there was nothing about those stories that required a Single Peter. Worse, they keep throwing him into different long term relationships which is basically him being married.

UGH.

You know how they should have undone the marriage? The Superior Spider-Man. Ock takes over, divorces the vapid super model so he can do more, and starts Parker Industries. Then when Peter regains control, MJ wants to stay separated because she doesn't trust him. Done and done.
>>
>>90820439
>implying 18 year olds read Spider-Man as a kid
If anything they watched the movies, the re-runs of the 90s animated series, and maybe some of the other cartoons when they aired. A lot of these have a big MJ presence.
>>
>>90820765

>This guy sounds like those Marveldrones that post on /co/ every time a DC movie comes out.

Anon, hate to break it to you, but you'd have to be a drone to defend DC movies. They're just plain shit.
>>
Lots of autism in this thread. He may be inarticulate, but he's right. Spider-Man isn't married, neither is Batman, James Bond, or Tony the Tiger. The normies would not approve, and therefore the brand would be damaged. He's a billion dollar character.
>>
>>90821771
What's the point with linking the box office of the movies? It's not like the Amazing movies did less money because they were flat out bad and no one wanted a reboot instead of "but it didn't have MJ" if that's what you mean
>>
>>90821465
>He's basically saying that fans coming up nowadays haven't grown up with the marriage so the people coming into the industry now are those raised on a post-marriage status quo, hold no affection to the marriage and thus there's even less of a chance than before of the marriage coming back.

It's weird logic. Cause wouldn't there have been a huge batch of college interns leading up to 2007 and after that grew up with a married Spider-Man. Those ones that now have ten years of editorial experience and, just like how Joe Q had this pipe dream of a Single Peter, have a pipe dream of remarrying Peter.
>>
>>90821585
Bendis' bitch Jessica Jones and her black chocolate boytoy plus his husbando Luke Cage.
>>
>>90821793

>your ideas of what a character "should" be are formed by what you read when you're young first encounter them.

For me that sure as shit wasn't current stuff on the shelves.
>>
>>90821905
I would like to see Tony The Tiger be married desu
>>
>>90821850
Exactly, Slott is so full of shit.
>>
>>90821905
>Spider-Man isn't married, neither is Batman, James Bond, or Tony the Tiger.

But Spidey's different than those others. He's not a grim avenger of the night or a globe-trotting secret agent. He also doesn't really like frosted flakes.

Pete's always been in relationships. He's not a grim loner or a man on a solitary mission. He's always had lovers and friends around him. Marriage makes sense for his character.
>>
>>90821921

That your comment about Spider-Man comic sales is irrelevant to the conversation.
>>
>>90821593

What's his face, the marketing guy David Gabriel. The man who pushes a major death every quarter, probably pushes S Y N E R G Y, and argues for the $10 book.
>>
>>90820316
>>90820324
>>90820348
>>90820374
>>90820402
>>90820422
>>90820439
>>90820466
>>90820484
>>90820513

Let's see:

-Tried too hard to claim Roderick Kingsley was killed off early in Big Time

-Tried too hard to claim Peter Parker will remain dead and Ock would be permanently Spider-Man

-Had that big fit about people pirating things and then it turned out he was torrenting something

All this is telling me is that Peter and MJ is probably going to get back together, possibly even married, within the next five years, not counting AUs.
>>
>>90822004
I'm not the guy talking about Spider-Man comic sales, anon, I just saw you both having this exchange and even wondered what was up with putting the movies there.
>>
>>90821698
>p-please don't tell me my narrative has failed! Master will beat me again!
>>
>>90822035
>-Had that big fit about people pirating things and then it turned out he was torrenting something

Shit, source?
>>
>>90820439
i'm not fucking cool with shit you fat fuck
>>
>>90820439
>Every 18 year old who started reading Spider-Man at the age of 8 has grown up with a post-OMD Spider-Man.

This is assuming there are a lot of 18 year olds reading new Spider-Man comics. I can't imagine the audience is as large as as it was a decade ago.

>>90821790
Yeah it was in some of the Bleeding Cool Bestseller Lists.
>>
>>90822062
This is ancient story, but I did see it happening. It was pre-Civil War (the one that had a point). He was upset people were pirating his stuff (either The Thing or She-Hulk) and there was a "DanSlott" over at the big torrent site of the time (I don't think it was Pirate Bay, but I don't remember the name) and he had gotten GIGS of stuff.

I think he tried to hide behind it as "stuff hard to have an official release for" or something.
>>
>>90821551
Tom "pissing off the fans is good for sales" Brevoort.
>>
>>90822110
Oh, I thought it was something more recent. Still interesting to know
>>
>>90821093
Brevoort admitted in an interview that being controversial and changing shit just because sells a LOT more than giving fans what they want.
>>90821147
Well, Mark Waid is often a pompous ass on Twitter who flies off the handle without getting the full story... but that's just Mark Waid.
>>
>>90822003

Exactly. In the past decade he's been paired with MJ, Gwen (by a famous actress recently), Liz Allen, Carol Danvers, Mockingbird, Black Cat, a midget, and possibly others in his various media appearances. He's a bachelor.
>>
>>90822062

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2016/04/03/the-return-of-nemesis43-and-other-fun-with-intellectual-property-rights/

http://www.comicsbeat.com/fight-dan-slott-vs-the-facts-of-life/

http://web.archive.org/web/20071011083528/http://comicsworthreading.com/2007/03/21/does-asking-downloaders-nicely-to-stop-work/
>>
>>90822182
>2007
holy shit, it was post-Civil War alright... and it was fucking DEMONOID.

And I thought staying around for over 30 years is what made me feel old.
>>
>>90822003
>He also doesn't really like frosted flakes.

Is this actually confirmed? I know he hates Star Wars and loves Stark Trek and World of Warcraft, but did he actually go into detail about how much he hates frosted flakes?
>>
>>90822251
Tony the Tiger was the one who shot Uncle Ben.
>>
>>90822281
Was Uncle Ben a closet furry that tried to yiff him?
>>
File: tweet fur.png (144KB, 612x468px) Image search: [Google]
tweet fur.png
144KB, 612x468px
>>90822251
He probably just doesn't like Tony the Tiger.
Tony hates people in animal themed costumes.
>>
>>90821255
this. Fuck, I'd buy her Spiderm-man. And I hate that cunt.
>>
So long story short they're getting back together within 5 years. Otherwise he wouldn't spend a dozen paragraphs each saying no in the same way.
>>
>>90821129
Yeah but that anon said that even though he's a prick he makes quality stuff. Maybe he should have added "unlike Slott" but his response is not incorrect. Yeah he's a prick but he's more talented than Slott.

Relax.
>>
>>90822311
Nah man, Ben's rice sales were cutting into Tony's stranglehold on the breakfast carb market.
>>
>>90822317
>And I hate that cunt
Didn't she donate so much to charity she went from being a billionaire to being a millionaire? What gives? Is this another case of "muh politics" butthurt?
>>
>>90822110
Wait, he made a profile with his name? Or was it a tracker?
>>
>>90822166
except Spider-manXMary Jane is the canon pairing in the cultural consciousness
>>
>>90822442
He made a profile with his name.
>>
>>90822404
>Is this another case of "muh politics" butthurt?
What if it is? I can hate someone but still enjoy his/her works.
>>
>>90820547
Aren't MJ and Pete still married in the newspaper strip, which is still being written by the original creator? Didn't they literally do a joke on how stupid OMD was in the strip?
>>
>>90821255
JK would be a pretty good fit for Spider-man, desu
>>
>>90822316
Cereal offenders: Tony the Tiger begs furries to stop tweeting him porn

https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2016/jan/29/tony-the-tiger-frosties-begs-furries-stop-tweeting-him-porn

Tony the Tiger Can't Tweet Without Furries Begging Him for Sex

http://internet.gawker.com/tony-the-tiger-cant-tweet-without-furries-begging-him-f-1740600010

Tony the Tiger is getting harassed on Twitter by sexually aroused furries

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/tony-tiger-harassed-twitter-furries-article-1.2512485

Which lead to...

A TALE OF TWO MASCOTS: HOW FURRIES SPURNED BY TONY THE TIGER ARE BEING EMBRACED BY CHESTER CHEETAH

http://www.papermag.com/a-tale-of-two-mascots-how-furries-spurned-by-tony-the-tiger-are-being--1574536912.html

Avid Furries Pit Tony the Tiger Against Chester the Cheetah in Junk-Food Sex War

http://www.slate.com/blogs/xx_factor/2016/01/29/furries_pit_tony_the_tiger_against_chester_the_cheetah_in_junk_food_sex.html

Chester Cheetah welcomes the sexual advances of furries rejected by Tony the Tiger

http://metro.co.uk/2016/01/28/chester-cheetah-welcomes-the-sexual-advances-of-furries-rejected-by-tony-the-tiger-5649410/

Special Bonus:

Boy forced to dress as Tony the Tiger by furry fetishists who raped him

http://metro.co.uk/2017/01/31/boy-forced-to-dress-as-tony-the-tiger-by-furry-fetishists-who-raped-him-6417905/
>>
>>90822507
All I know her from is Harry Potter. If she was to write Peter as Harry I'd rather she didn't.
>>
>>90822564
>if she was to write Peter as a cheeky cunt I'd rather she didn't
???
>>
>>90821790

In all honesty that's what I did when I got into comics.

I saw like, one thing of Geoff Johns's Green Lantern run since my school library just bought the trade where he fights Parallax. The foreward tried to hype up Johns as paying so much respect to it but the story didn't jump out at me.

Then I found a torrent for every single GL comic from Alan Scott all the way up to that point. Since it was free and easily available I went with that instead of waiting a whole month between issues for my fix.

Then whenever I wanted to check out something that I didn't torrent old GL comics were in the dollar bin, while new ones were three or four bucks a pop, so of course I didn't give a fuck about buying something that expensive when I was a kid without a job.

The current market structure is antithesis for getting young people interested. The barrier to entry is too high money wise and expecting people to wait a month to even pirate when they can either go through old shit, or go pirate Manga where there's a dozen titles on weekly, isn't going to work out.
>>
>>90820374
>There is no lottery ticket BIG enough that anyone could win it, buy Marvel, and make this status quo happen.

If Disney thinks that married Pete makes a lot of money, they can just make a Friendly-Neighborhood Spider-Man book that's just him as a teenager to appease the Spider-Grogs and undo OMD.
>>
>>90820316
Dude looks like Dan Foley now
>>
>>90821093

>marvel right now

oh christ, is this another reboot?
>>
>>90822473
Hating someone because of their politics is pretty dumb.
>>
>>90822608
They did, and it sold like shit. Because no one other than the stuck up employees at Marvel wants it.
>>
>>90820316
I've been reading Marvel (and Spider-Man) for 30+ years now.

I don't care that the marriage was undone. I enjoy Slott's Spider-Man.
>>
>>90822662
not when said someone call me racist/bigot ecc first.Harry potter is still one of my favourite book series thought.
>>
>>90822662
Not that anon, but I kinda hate her too. Not because of her politics, but her personality when she talks about politics.
>>
>>90822608
You make a good point. Really, there's no reason Marvel shouldn't put out a bunch of different Spider-Man books. "Main" Peter, highschool Peter, teamup book, whatever. Spider-Man is Marvel's biggest character, he should have as many books as Batman does.

But I wouldn't trust current Marvel to do anything good with the idea.
>>
>>90822687
Maybe you had it coming, bro.
>>
>>90822704
hell they could do what Superman is doing with Superman and Action Comics-- Amazing Spider-Man is the main spiderbook with him doing Spider-Man things.

Fantastic Spider-Man is him being Spider-Husband n shit.
>>
>>90821905

Spider Man's relationship with MJ is ironclad in the public conscious. There was like fifteen years where every movie and cartoon had her as essentially being his only girlfriend and the Andrew Garfield movies didn't really do much to change that, in much the same sense that even more than half a decade out from New 52 and that much money on Man of Steel the public consciousness still has Superman in red shorts

If you're asking what John Q. Public thinks, Peter and M.J. are basically married already. His previous relationship with Gwen and the last decade or so are largely irrelevant because they aren't people who'd know or care.

Slott is essentially trying to browbeat the people who DO know and care. They know the history and bought the comics but he's trying to claim that the stuff they liked is irrelevant, but they should just buy his work anyway. The more realistic expectation being that if they give up they just won't buy Marvel Comics anymore.
>>
>>90822753
>Fantastic
Only the World's Greatest Comic Book Magazine has a right to that adjective.
>>
>>90820887
>Byrne
IT's because he is a closet pedo, isn't it?
>>
Regardless of whether or not I believe Slott's autism on the finality of the marriage being dead, it will at least never happen under his watch.

he hates both Pete and MJ and probably the only thing that stops him from lobbying for her to be dead is the fact that he needs her in when ASM reaches critical level of sales.

throw her on the cover, pretend they'll get together for an arc or two, assassinate her character some more. and then troll on some forums.

fuck you Slott, i know you're reading this thread.
>>
>>90822498
Ghostwritten, but yes, Stan prefers the marriage and Ditko wanted Peter to grow up faster than Stan did.
>>
>>90822859
>>implying slott isnt op
>>
>>90822848
He's also a huge autistic manchild

>CAPTAIN CARROT was a virtual textbook of How to Get It Wrong. The internal logic was constantly skewed. What would prompt anyone to coin the term “pig iron” in a world inhabited, at least in part, by intelligent pigs? Wouldn’t that be an awful “racist” slur? What would an “alley cat” be in a world with intelligent cats? And, seriously, can we imagine a “real” superhero called, say, Captain Hamburger?
>The book had all the earmarks of a “parody” — but, of course, it was a “parallel universe”, not a parody!! — done by civilians. By people who do not “get” the language of superhero comics. Appalling, when you consider who actually created it.
>And let us never forget the solemn pronouncement from The Powers That Were, lo these many years ago —- “CRISIS is going to get rid of all the parallel Earths — except the one inhabited by Captain Carrot!”

>In my first studio in my former house, there was a fireplace with a wide mantle. I set my Super Powers action figures in a line along this shelf (in alphabetical order, which hardly anyone ever seemed to pick up on!) One afternoon, during one of my summer parties, I wandered into the studio to find a small clutch of my fellow professionals had gathered in there. One of these was a good friend, who had brought with him his wife and small daughter (maybe three years old).
>I walked in to find her sitting on the floor playing with my Aquaman figure. "She was bored," said my friend, "so I gave her Aquaman to play with. He doesn't matter." His exact words, burned into my brain. I took the toy from the child and replaced it on the shelf. "Does to me," I said.
>>
>>90822704
I've been wanting that for years.

Peter for Amazing Spider-Man, following just Peter
Miles in Sensational Spider-Man, taking over the whole "Spider-Man is a menace and must be stopped" angle and being the Spider-book that deals with social commentary
Ben in Scarlet Spidey, doing the whole wacky teenaged hip Spider-Man
Kane in Spectacular Spider-Man, so you can have edgy, mature rated stories
spOck in Superior Spider-Man to have a villainous Spider-Man

And Web of Spider-Man to be their team-up book.
>>
>>90822848
Closet Pedo who tried his fucking best to ruin Superman and the Fantastic Four.
>>
>>90822936
>ruin Superman
Fuck you, best Superman era is still '85-'92.
>>
>>90822316
Half of Spider-man's villains are dudes in animal costumes though.
>>
>>90822679
$0.10 has been deposited into your account.
>>
>>90820348
>Implying this us sacred when literally nothing else is, not even Gwen.
>Implying spending over 10 years goading fans and burying a character is good for your brand.

Literal morons.
>>
The only good thing Slott did was Superior Spider-Man.

And by that, I mean creating an actual villainous Spider-Man who was interesting to read.
>>
>>90822936
His Superman degrades rapidly from ok to...weird. Why did he want Brainiac to be a boring fat guy? Why does he hate the sliver age with such passion? What is accomplished by cucking Mr. Miracle?

His Fantastic Four run is pretty great though. My only problem is him copying Stan's mistake of Reed Richards always being right even when really really wrong.
>>
>>90820374
>There is no person, no matter how passionately they cared about the pre-OMD setup who could ever make it through all the steps and paces to get to a position of editorial power AND be given the reins of the Spider-Unit who would EVER be allowed to put this back into play.
...So it's literally as simple as someone in charge of the Spidey division thinking it's a good idea? Way to undermine your point.
>>
>>90823089
He's probably planning on reuniting them. That or he, Like Tom Brevoort and Vince McMahon is insistent on telling fans to eat shit and like it.
>>
>>90822893
That thing with Aquaman was completely justified and you're retarded if you don't think so.
>>
>>90823089
Yeah, like say a young 28 year old editor who was an intern in 2007 and thought OMD was a terrible idea from the get go.
>>
>>90823140
>That or he, Like Tom Brevoort and Vince McMahon is insistent on telling fans to eat shit and like it.
If he didn't think he could do that he wouldn't be working for Mousevel.
>>
>>90822955
that's not Busiek/Johns
>>
>>90823084
>My only problem is him copying Stan's mistake of Reed Richards always being right even when really really wrong
What, no cucking Ben? Or giving Reed and Sue's relationship a pedophilic subtext? Or coming up with that retarded "a Doombot did it!" excuse?
>>
>>90823214
Second best era, undermined by no one picking up Busiek's plot threads (what happened to Khyber?) and Johns' immediate follow-up being such a dud.
>>
Let's be honest, Slott has never had a clue what Spider-Man was ever about.
>>
>>90823159
Not if his reason was "Fuck you, Aquaman is cool".
>>
>>90822848
>closet
>>
>>90823140
Nah, Slott legitimately hates Mary Jane as a character.
>>
>>90823221
>Or giving Reed and Sue's relationship a pedophilic subtext?
I kek'd when Fraction's run retconned that and the editors just said "it's not that we overlooked that [of course not], it was just creepy"
>>
>>90820439
I only read stories where MJ didn't exist pre-OMD, but that doesn't mean I'm on board with garbage writing. Why the fuck would I be?
>>
>>90822955
That's not the silver age.
>>
>>90823159
Aquaman or not, letting your three-year-old play with someone else's stuff without asking permission is a pretty dick move.
>>
>>90823159
The Alphabetical order of superheroes and fanatical hatred of Captain fucking Carrot is the issue, not him not wanting people to treat his belongings like garbage.
>>
>>90823266
It was a thirty year old toy that he probably had when he was a kid being banged around by some random person'd kid.
>>
>>90823255
>Last Son
>Braniac
>Secret Origin
>dud
>>
>>90823195
They've been like this since at LEAST Avengers Disassembled, if not since the fucking Bob Harras Avengers run.
>>
>>90823279
Not calling you a liar but, citation?
>>
>>90822153
Brevoort's short term thinking has slowly bled away long term fans from Marvel. If Marvel didn't have Star Wars propping up sales, they would be in the shitter.

Meanwhile, DC is doing its damnedest to give fans what they want with Rebirth and are taking market share away from Marvel.
>>
>>90823345
I said "immediate follow-up", obviously meaning New Krypton.
>>
>>90821790
Most comic readers don't pay because it's too little for too much. Even among the ones who do, back issues, trades and bulk buying are a better value.
>>
>>90823344
>"He doesn't matter." His exact words, burned into my brain. I took the toy from the child and replaced it on the shelf. "Does to me," I said.
Off course, it was a dick move by the guy, but Byrne displayed his maximum power level there.
>>
>>90823390
oh yeah

true that
>>
>>90820853
Bendis
>>
>>90820765
This man also stalks people inline.

He stalked a tumblrina and would reply to her in every message board on cbr that she went regardless of her talking about him and his work or not
>>
>>90821793

I'd disagree with this on a personal level.

I mean, I grew up reading Batman stories where he was either running solo, or doing shit with a Robin. Same with BTAS.

Yet now, as an adult, I can't imagine going back to that. I'm too used to brooding Batdad and his fourty surrogate bat kids.
Batman isn't as young as he once felt, now he feels like he's bordering 40.
When DC wants to do something with a younger Batman, they do it in a seperate story.

Same with your X-Men analogy. While I like and fondly remember the 90's X-Men, I also love a lot of what they were in the 2000's. About the only thing I miss from the 90's that I want back is Rogue's big hair. I accept the characters for how they've grown...At least I did before this whole time traveling young x-men shit.

Spider-Man doesn't have that feeling anymore. He isn't allowed to grow anymore (Hell, he's regressing). If the character isn't allowed to grow, even just a little bit, he stops being enjoyable to read.
>>
>>90823221
Doombot did it has been there since FF#4. The Pedo undercurrent was handled better than most other instances in Byrne's work since it seemed to be one sided until Sue was older. Not later Byrne with 60 year old Supes making out with 14 year old Lana. Made very little sense in regards to prior chronology statements but not too offensive. Also young Sue was cute. As for Alicia leaving Ben for Johnny, Good character shit came out of it for Ben but it seemed wildly out of character for Johnny.

I miss the days when Marvel had enough consistency for something to BE out of character.
>>
>>90823460
He also stalks people who talk negatively against his run on twitter, even if they don't tag him.
>>
>>90823279
Her 80's era character development is really good. Too bad she was written as a bitch for most of the 90s in an attempt to undermine the marriage.

The Peter goes away into the sunset/Ben becomes Spider-Man uses was such a good best of both worlds scenario. Same the editorial mandate to keep the Clone Saga going forever fucked it up.
>>
>>90823379
https://youtu.be/euj7hMxz0Rw?t=52m30s
>>
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/18/dan-slotts-first-marvel-creative-summits-voted-gwen-stacy-coming-back/

Dan Slott talks about the OMD retreat:

>That was a retreat where Civil War was in full swing, Spider-Man’s unmasking in CW had already been decided, and JMS had already run everyone in the room on the concept of OMD in the retreat before. I was brought into my first retreat for 2 reasons:

>1. Two of the core Marvel writers were sick and/or couldn’t make it, and there were empty seats at the table. By living in NYC, I was an easy person for Marvel to go to, because they didn’t have to fly me in or put me up in a hotel.

>2. They were planning the aftermath of Civil War, Millar had clearly set up the Initiative, but no writer was moving on the idea as a series. Peoples’ interests were in other places. I’d heard about the Initiative and ran a pitch for it by some people– who liked it– so they thought it would be good to have me in the room to pitch it in person.

>Now keep in mind– at this point in time, I was the writer on two low-selling titles/cult titles: SHE-HULK and THE THING. I did not have much “coin” to spend in that room. I did throw out some ideas for all kinds of things to help out in the room– and people liked my Initiative take enough for it to be greenlit in the room as a new book for me– but the idea that the SHE-HULK/THING guy was going to make any major change to JMS’ ASM storyline– especially one that was on the tracks and that important– is kinda silly.
>>
>>90823627
God he's so fucking fat.
>>
>>90823507
When I started reading comics as a youngin I viewed most Superheroes as being old enough to be my dad. Batman should be just shy of or just older than 40 in my book. It's gonna be really weird being older than Batman one day. I still think Nightwing should be older than he is.
>>
>>90823628
>It was after my 2nd retreat, where I’d performed really well (and the Initiative was doing well) that Wacker and the powers that be thought I’d be a good addition to the multi-writer team that would be following JMS. (I’d also conspicuously shoe-horned Spidey into everything I’d been working on– SHE-HULK, THING, and A:TI for guest issues and multiple cameos. It was very UN-subtle.) And that was something I didn’t find out about till after my 2nd retreat.

>Cut to the 1st Spider-Retreat (a min-retreat just for the BND Spider-Writers), that is the first and only time I (and the other writers) had any input into OMD in any meaningful way that stuck. JMS kept switching between TWO versions of OMD:

>1 where the bargain altered time from AMAZING SPIDER-MAN Vol. 1 #96 (the Goblin/Harry drug issues).

>And 2, where the bargain altered time from the WEDDING ANNUAL.

>The first choice was the one JMS felt passionate about. But at one of the retreats, the Powers That Be, editorial, and pretty much everyone in the room (except for Joe Q and one of the writers) voted that version down because it altered too much continuity. There was a common consensus (that Joe Q agreed with too) that as little continuity should be disturbed as possible. That through whatever means ONLY the wedding story itself should be altered, and that practically every story you saw since took place exactly the way it happened in the comics, with the exception that Peter & MJ were living together and not married. JMS wanted an altered continuity that was so drastically different from EVERYTHING that took place in Marvel Publishing since 1971, that Gwen Stacy would still be alive– had been alive all those years– and would be up and walking about in the current book Post-OMD.

>I was one– of practically all the bodies in that room– who, in that binary choice, voted that version down in favor of the one that would cause the least amount of continuity ripples.
>>
I'm one of the few people on /co/ who actually likes Slott's Spider-man, and I like almost all of it. But holy shit could he be any more of a child?

What does he possibly benefit from acting like this?
>>
>>90822555
Jesusfuck the furry community is awful.
>>
>>90823681
>At the 1st Spidey Retreat, all the BND writers were given the option to veto that. If we wanted, we could give the okay for the ASM #96 alternate history– complete with a living Gwen. All the BND writers– in total unison– said we didn’t want that and that we were good with the decision as it stood.

>The OMD story needed an ending where it was clearly in the Post-OMD setting. We were asked to come up with two potential love interests who’d be around during BND– and if they could both be at a party sequence in the final pages. Those characters wound up being Carlie Cooper and Lily Hollister.

>So… My OMD involvement came down 3 things:

>1) Voting in lockstep to NOT alter all of Spider-Man continuity from ASM #96 onward.
>2) Voting in lockstep AGAIN to NOT veto that ruling.
>3) Being one of the co-creators of Carlie Cooper & Lily Hollister– who showed up at a party at the end of OMD.
>>
>>90823681
OMD wasn't great, but man JMS's version of it would've been so much worse.
>>
>>90823681
In retrospect, JMS had the right idea.

If you're going to shamelessly abandon continuity, go whole hog.
>>
>>90822166
You have an argument for Gwen, but no one associates those others with Spidey outside comics fans. Seriously, you're going to compare Mockingbird and Carol to Mary Jane? Mary Jane is top 2 most recognizable civilian love interest in comics. She is the 3rd thing you think of when you think Spider-man after Spider-man himself and Uncle Ben.

>>90821905
Spidey's love life is far more comparable to Superman than it is any of the characters you mentioned.
>>
>>90823685
He does this all the time people are close to figuring out what the results of one of the arcs he plans is. If anything he confirmed the marriage is back on.
>>
>>90823763
Yeah, that's why the New 52 didn't work, it was a half-assed reboot.
>>
>>90823804
It's also a nasty predicament like the one we're in: the whales won't drop the book if it's close enough. If they went hard we all could have just accepted that the original Peter was fucking dead.
>>
>>90822110
>Dan Slott made a torrent account with his name on it
How retarded can you be?
>>
>>90823685
He'll I like it up until about halfway through Spider Island, even if Queseda's Carlue insert so he could imagine fucking his daughter was bizarre.
>>
>>90821603
I could see it. I mean, this is the guy who tried and tried to hard sell Alpha as Spidey's forever and ever new sidekick and then recently came out and said he always hated writing Alpha.
>>
>>90823787

Well, you're mostly right.

But plenty of people outside comics associate Black Cat with Spider-Man.
Felicia may not be a Peter love interest in any of the movies, but she DOES show up as one frequently in cartoons and video games.
I'd even argue that most people who grew up on Spider-Man in the 90's hold Felicia in higher esteem than they do Gwen, since they watched Peter juggle between her and MJ for four something years before picking the latter.
>>
>>90823787
I'd argue Aunt May comes before Uncle Ben.
>>
>>90823758
In some ways yeah, if only because it means that no one will know what's in continuity and what's not.

In retrospect though with the way the comic has disregarded a lot of stories, I think they should've just brought back Gwen instead since none of the new love interests they created for ASM were anything interesting.
>>
>>90821604
>is our best chance at getting Slott kicked out of the main spider title and, eventually, getting the marriage back
At this point I care less about getting the marriage back than making an example of comic book writers who sperg this hard in public until they're afraid to do so. Then follow suit with Emmy Cicierega so animators also know their place and go back to working more and spewing opinions less
>>
>>90820484
So this long winded mess is just an advertisement for Renew Your Vows?
>>
>>90823681
it boggles my fucking mind that the entire Spidey creative department, writers, etc were summoned and OMD is the best piece of shit they could come up with.

that's fucking crazy. OMD is like top 3 worst comic book stories of all time, not including universe-wide resets.
>>
>>90824046
Yes.

>>90823877
We were still figuring the internet out. He made history.

For all the wrong reasons.
>>
>>90823681
Seems kind of stupid that they wanted Peter and MJ to still be together all those years but not married.

Marriage is just legally binding people to certain responsibilities and protections or it's religious, god these people are manchildren.

Surprised JMS was up for this since he wrote Peter/MJ so well together, maybe he had no choice in the matter.

Honestly Peter being marries didn't really interfere much with his Spider-Man life, the only difference is thay he just went home to MJ.
>>
File: 2011-07-23-259.png (104KB, 630x280px) Image search: [Google]
2011-07-23-259.png
104KB, 630x280px
>>90822982
>Half of Spider-man's villains are dudes in animal costumes though.
>>
>>90823877
Be the kind of person to have a character say he wants to be worse than Hitler and then act surprised when people compare him to Hitler.
>>
>>90824089
>the day I learned DC haters are webcomic scum
>>
>>90824083
considering he dropped it halfway through, he wasn't that up for it
>>
>>90823904
Wasn't Alpha only in like 2 issues? What a fucking lame stunt that was.
>>
>>90823947
>I'd even argue that most people who grew up on Spider-Man in the 90's hold Felicia in higher esteem than they do Gwen,

I would definitely argue this because Gwen was practically a non-entity in non-comics media up until Spider-Man 3. Shit I would think more people knew who Betty Brant was before Gwen on account that Betty showed up in the 60's cartoon and the 80's cartoon (the one before Amazing Friends).

Gwen showed up in Spider-Man 3 and Spectacular Spider-Man, but she didn't really get a real push until Emma Stone potrayed Gwen and had great chemistry with Andrew Garfield in the films, and then the whole Spider-Gwen thing.

My feeling is that at some point they'll have to bring her back. Disney and Marvel might look at how well Spider-Gwen is selling in merchandise while the comic isn't doing well and assuming Sony is also looking at that too may also try to put her in a film. At that point, you may seem them force Spider-Gwen in 616 against the protests of the writers who objected to her return for OMD.
>>
>>90824135
and then he had an ongoing
>>
>>90824008
I was thinking the same thing. At least with Gwen alive, you'd have an obvious love interest with an established (if fringe) following, whose continued existence you can justify on the grounds of "muh classic Spidey".

Sure you ruin ASM 121-122, but the OMD we got ruined two decades of Spider-Man before and its ghost has hovered over the status quo since it was published.

Perhaps we'd hate it even more, though. Who knows.
>>
>>90824008
>if only because it means that no one will know what's in continuity and what's not.

That was true for OMD ANYWAY because it unkilled Harry Osborn with piss poor explanation as to how he fit into 16 years worth of stories with a dead Harry Osborn.
>>
>>90824263
worse, they did nothing to him. It's clear as day they still don't have plans with Harry.
>>
>>90824293
That too.
Outside of American Son and getting Goblin Cucked by his dad, is Harry being alive something that has ever mattered in the last decade?
>>
>>90824293
>to
I meant with. Fuck him.
>>
>>90824263
>That was true for OMD ANYWAY because it unkilled Harry Osborn with piss poor explanation as to how he fit into 16 years worth of stories with a dead Harry Osborn.

They did explain it. Norman and Mysterio dug him up after he died because Norman knew he was actually alive, and replaced the body with a fake or whatever that fooled everyone. Then Norman just took Harry to Europe and had him recover there and Harry doesn't resurface in public until after Civil War.

It's a dumb explanation but it didn't contradict most of the other dead Harry stories.
>>
>>90824337
No.
But it gives the people working on the book the warm fuzzies.
>>
>>90824293
See also: Kraven
>>
>>90824125
>I need to pigeonhole because that's what I learned on /v/
go back there and stay faggot
>>
Is Peter still discount Tony Stark, or did that clone even I (probably) rightly ignored change anything?
>>
>>90824364

It's very cool of Peter to forgive Harry for the whole, cloned robot parents designed to ruin Peter emotionally thing.

Do you think they get together for brunch and laugh about that time Peter found the mocking message from the then presumed dead Harry?
>>
>>90824518
He's still discount Tony for now, but it looks like he's being set up to lose it all.
>>
>>90824518
Yep, still discount Tony Stark. But he did cause every Webware in the world to blow up to stop the zombies Ben created and is receiving a shit ton of lawsuits from it. So Slott is definitely hinting towards getting rid of Parker Industries.
>>
>>90824261
I'd say there'd be a split. There were a lot of Gwen fans (I remembered there was this one guy on Bleeding Cool who definitely preferred Gwen and hated Gerry Conway for writing the Death of Gwen story).

On account of how badly a lot of the BND stories were written, I think they might've made Gwen more like Carlie and then to some fans like K-Box and the rest of Scans Daily they'll see BND Gwen as a symbol of all that's wrong with BND and Marvel and compare to Anthony from For Better or For Worse or some other screeching. Also if the whole thing was also going to be Mephisto based, then there'd also be readers seeing Gwen as the weird twist to the BND change, like as if she's a demonic entity or something to keep Peter unmarried, or becoming the catch in reverting back to pre-OMD status (Peter and MJ are remarried and Gwen goes back to being dead which makes them feel guilty).

But then there'd also be the longtime Gwen fans who would be glad for her return. Assuming that Sins Past would also have been wiped out based on JMS' plan (which was his intent), it would've also brought back the Gwen fans who got disgusted by that story. So it'd be like a war between the MJ and Gwen fans.
>>
>>90824293
>>90824398
Both of those suffered from the "we have to put the toys back in the box" obsession
Once the toys were back in the box, no one wanted to use them anyway

>Harry being in limbo as Walter White and now being a poor man's Lucius Fox were astounding stories that absolutely need him alive
>Kraven being a not-zombie and doing his old big hunt on not-Spider-Men (Venom, Kaine) were great stories that needed to be told and could only have him
>"Resurrected" Aunt May at least learned Peter's ID... until she forgot and why is she still on the books again?
>>
>>90822655
Severely undeposted rate.
>>
The problem is that characters like Spider-man are your fathers heroes.
When a character has been around for 50 odd years, and those stories are still continuity, it becomes hard not to imagine him as somewhat older.
Seeing swinging bachelor Peter Parker is just weird, since he reads as older. Its like your weird creepy uncle who keeps coming by with the girls he picked up at the college bar.
>>
>>90824556
They didn't because Peter erased everyone's knowledge of his secret identity, so Harry doesn't know Peter is Spider-Man.

Also dumb, and I do wish they'd have them confront about it, but I thought people were overrating BND.
>>
>>90824647
T male feminist.

Getting married is for cucks that are wifing up hoes.
>>
>>90823966
Nah. Uncle Ben is synonymous with the most famous quote in comics.
>>
>>90824647
This is what I don't fucking get. The existence of Miles literally means Marvel can have its cake and eat it too. They get to have a wacky teenage Spider-Man with girl problems, plus he wins diversity points. Thus they can also have OG Peter Parker who's grown up and gotten married and started a family.
>>
>>90821465
>unrealistic
He also said he hated alternate universes for similar reasons.
Misplaced realism fixation fucks up everything in fiction.
Its weird to me
>>
>>90820765
Because it's his job and he's too cowardly to stand up for his own ideas so he's transplanted Marvel's corporate decision making process into his own.

He's a human, owned by a corporation, basically.
>>
>>90823077
I disagree, Slott in the year leading up to EOTE did some incredibly good comics. It was one of like three titles that I was always stoked about reading.

ASM #700 was almost a perfect book. Almost, but the whole Superior thing was a downer of supernatural proportions.

I've always considered Spider-Man the "pulse" of Marvel. It may not have been in the absolute peak of health, but when you go and "kill" the blood flow of the line, well, look what you get.
Some of the lowest sales in the line's history.
>>
>>90824206
For six issues. He may as well not exist now.
>>
Shit like this is why, if I ever get a job at Marvel, I DON'T want to write the big, popular characters.

Better to write Nighthawk or GLA and do what you want than to be pigeonholed into telling the same stories ad infinitum.
>>
>>90824384
And Slott is writing this book for no one but himself. He can't even go "muh sales" because the book is doing way worse than a fucking Spider-man book has any right to.
>>
>>90824781
The should bring an Uncle Ben ghost in the vein of Deadman to look down on Peter in shame for making a deal with the Devil.
>>
>>90824983
The problem is that even though sales have heavily dropped on ASM, his book is still the highest selling Marvel superhero book (highest selling Marvel book being Star Wars).
>>
>>90824398
Remember that time we brought back his lame son who existed to job for Kaine?
That was...a thing. That happened.
>>
>>90825014
>gee Peter thanks from keeping my wife away from me for another 20 years
>>
>>90824634
Aunt May also was drawn to be fucking 90 despite being Peter's aunt and not his great grandmother or something. She served no purpose once Peter graduated highschool and should have stayed dead. I have no idea why Marvel writers so deperately want Peter to be in High School, he hadn't even met Been or MJ or found out who the Green Goblin was by that point.
>>
>>90824758
Not getting married is for autists who can't hold a relationship.
>>
File: 1486932988951.jpg (64KB, 382x321px) Image search: [Google]
1486932988951.jpg
64KB, 382x321px
OK, so he's droning and moaning about it being a "LOCK DOWN" but can someone please for the love of god actually tell me WHY there's a lock down?

WHY they won't get them together? I don't give a flying fuck about it being off-limits, just give me a reason.
>>
>>90824862
The ending of 70p implied that Peter's memories made SpOck realize what a horrible shithead he was. Then Superior had him be a complete amoral lunatic who Slott teased was going to fuck MJ or something.
>>
>>90825154
Here: >>90820848
>>
>>90825154
They think Peter Parker sells best as a whiny Peter Pan.
>>
>>90825154
Because married super heroes aren't relateable they said. Meanwhile billionaire super heroes with dozens of girlfriends are perfectly fine.

House of ideas logic
>>
>>90825050
Which is sad.
>>
>>90825075
>I have no idea why Marvel writers so deperately want Peter to be in High Schoo
Ultimate Spider-man Influenced
>>
>>90820848
>>90825198
>>90825236

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

THIS FUCKING SHITTY REASON IS WHY THEY'RE NOT LETTING THEM GET TOGETHER?

I STAYED AWAY FROM THE ULTIMATE RUN SONCE I DIDN'T LIKE THE TIMELINE, BUT NOW I'LL NEVER FUCKING READ IT

LET MY NIGGA SPIDEY GROW UP

IF MOTHERFUCKING DITKO WANTED IT, WHO THE FUCK CAN SAY NO

I'M A FUCKING MARVEL AND SPIDEYFAG BUT THIS SHIT HAS FUCKING PISSED ME OFF HUGELY

I WATCHED SPIDEY GET WITH MJ

FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

I WANNA KILL SLOTT
>>
>>90825240
Oh it is.
>>
File: Screenshot_20170318-164147.png (4MB, 1440x2560px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20170318-164147.png
4MB, 1440x2560px
>>
>>90825236
Comic writers are mostlt married men in their forties who wish they were hip college student. Comic readers are mostlyburgeoning wizards who can find highly specific porn of their liking to satisfy themselves and dont mind if a character is married and just want good stories/ to follow likeable characters
>>
>>90825290
>IF MOTHERFUCKING DITKO WANTED IT, WHO THE FUCK CAN SAY NO

According to Slott Ditko's original intention was for him to stay in high school:

>It’s far more likely that you’d see a line-wide reboot that reset Spider-Man to high school years (and on model with the creators’ original intent) then the marriage being restored.
>>90820324

Which is a fucking retarded thing to say when you've actually read Ditko's run and realize there were hardly any scenes with Peter dealing with teenage problems and he was only in highschool for less then twenty issues.
>>
I care less about the marriage being undone, and more about the dumb story that did it.
>>
>>90824733
Has he still not unmasked himself to Harry?
>>
>>90820316
Is Slott (and Joe) still butthurt nobody gives a shit about Carlie Cooper?
>>
>>90825075
It's funny because if they wanted to adhere to just the Lee/Ditko run then Liz Allan and Betty Brant would be the main love interests with maybe a feistier Gwen Stacy and Mary Jane being unseen as a running gag.
>>
>>90825406
Seriously, making a deal with the devil is stupider than just having the characters file for divorce is just stupid and part of the problem with capes
>b-b-b-but it ages Peter up too much
He's fucking 25-30 years old! He hasn't been in high school in like fifty years. Hell, he's a CEO right now, you don't think that ages him?
Goddamn bunch of retards.
>>
>>90820848
I liked USM.
That doesn't mean you can or should force lightning to strike twice.
Married or not, Peter hasn't been a teen for most of his existence.
>>
>>90825361
I love this book.
>>
>>90825557
Agreed, anon. Wish others would understand this.
>>
>>90825075
>I have no idea why Marvel writers so deperately want Peter to be in High School,

Because that's how he was when they started reading the book. See, it's okay for Joe Q and Dan Slott to have nostalgia for the old days and reset the clock on those things. Fuck what newer fans want and or grew up with, they don't know any better.
>>
I unironically like Superior Spider-Man and like everything that has happened to Otta since, but I still hate Slott and how he acts like a literal autist to everyone and attacks people online

Note I read all his stuff for free
>>
>>90824083
>Surprised JMS was up for this since he wrote Peter/MJ so well together, maybe he had no choice in the matter.

Considering his ending for OMD had MJ remembering everything, I think it's clear he had other plans beyond just changing everything,which Slott probably refuses to share or didn't know about..
>>
What's happening here

Is this a guy posting or is this a transcript or copypasta
>>
>>90825392
Also keep in mind that like at least the last two or so years of the Lee/Ditko run, Ditko and Lee weren't communicating. Ditko was coming up with the plot and art and Lee had to roll with it (Lee even confirmed this at one point in a newspaper article, but often times doesn't remember it). Basically anything you see crediting Ditko with the plot, by that point Lee and Ditko weren't talking. And that includes the issue where Peter graduates high school.
>>
>>90825532
Hell, having MJ shot dead would have invoked less of a backlash than the damn deal with the devil.
>>
>>90825258
I hate Bendis even more.
>>
>>90825648
They kinda tried that when she "died" in a plane crash at the turn of the century. Lead to some really good stories about Peter moving on and stuff.
>>
>>90825654
So Ultimate Spider-Man came back to bite us all in the ass, even if it was pretty good, like pottery
>>
>>90825258
>>90825654
It's definitely NOT Ultimate Spider-Man influenced. Marvel definitely was trying to find a way to roll back Peter's age back before USM even started.

John Byrne even said that there was an idea they had in which things got worse for Peter to the point where he wished everything would go back to the way it used to be, and then the Shaper of Worlds alters things resulting in Peter being high school age again with all dead cast alive again. But Byrne and Mackie and the rest thought this was terrible and dumped it. It's still pretty indicative that Marvel wants to sell teenage Peter, though.
>>
>>90825638
The last issue had nearly next to nothing to do with JMS IIRC, and Quesada had to struggle for him not to take his name out of the story (I think at first Quesada didn't even want the story credit he was given for the last issue)
>>
>>90825641
Guy copy pasting DanSlott's responses from CBR
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/18/peter-parkermary-jane-watson-marriage-will-never-ever-return-infinity-says-dan-slott/
>>
>>90825720
>Ultimate Spider-man was a literal time bomb
>>
>>90825750
... At this poin't I say do it. Do it, see how the market react at the idea. But they won't, because they are a bunch of spinless faggot. I'm so glad that >>90825361
exist right now.
>>
There's a good chance Slott is reading this thread and being really butt blasted at all the response. Makes me happy
>>
>>90825750
That's the problem with all of this, of course, yes, Slott is a sperg.

Of course, yes, Marvel's been breathing down the necks of the writers forever to get Peter back to the John Romita Sr. days.

Clone Saga, 'killing' MJ, what you just described, they haven't ever given up on it.
>>
>>90825750
Jesus, this is just a unhealthy as hell obsession at this point with Teen Peter.
>>
>>90824581

>Peter loses everything and is back to being a loser living with Aunt May. Again.
>MJ is off with Tony Stark
>Slott decides to piss people off more by writing Tony and MJ getting romantically involved despite the fact being with a super hero is that thing she didn't want anymore with Peter.
>Iron Man fans hate it because it ruins Tony's playboy persona and just replaces the longstanding Pepper Potts with another redhead.
>Spider-Man fans hate it because it's shitting all over that thing the majority of them want back.
>Slott gets on every social media outlet available and personally replies to every single criticism with a mini-essay on why they're wrong and every single person at Marvel agrees with him.
>Nobody else over at Marvel backs him up and says "Yeah, Dan is telling the truth, this is how it all happened"
>ASM sales continue to drop.
>Slott blames it all on Donald Trump and the patriarchy.

It's scary because I could see all of these things realistically happening.
>>
post yfw Slott, Bendis and all the other cunts at Marvel will die but when we are all like 50 and are nearly dead so we had to live through the shittest comic era
>>
>>90823084
>My only problem is him copying Stan's mistake of Reed Richards always being right
See, I like that. Reed was supposed to be the smartest person alive bar none. Nearly every decision he made should have been correct. If they're not, he may as well be as smart as Ben.
>>
>>90825813
Honestly I'm almost convinced he's the one who goes into threads questioning why people don't like change whenever they voice their displeasure about Peter being a CEO.
>>
>NEVER GONNA HAPOEN, EVER
>hey guys, Disney here, the fourth Spiderman movie ends with Peter and MJ getting married
>THE LOVE IS BACK, MEPHISTO WHO?
>>
>>90825361
my favorite part of this is Superman being like, you didnt sneak one in during the snowball fight? as if that's what he expected and should have done.

fuck you Marvel.
>>
>>90825858
It's sad you have to thank Bendis for putting Tony in notDeath at the end of Civil War II to avoid the whole MJ/Tony teasing
>>
>>90825918
I like Pete being a CEO but its barely explored, its more like a background thing where someone will call him about something happening with PI and he will just brush them off and go back to fighting people, its barely even "there", I wish more was done with it
>>
>>90825970

The MJ/Tony thing is the biggest slap in the face ever, and totally goes against everything MJ has left Peter over in the first place should they ever go that route.
>>
>>90826012
>decides to go for a rich boi like stark
>8 months pass
>pete's business grows and he's richer than stark

when will women learn?
>>
>>90825750
I don't care what anyone says

We NEEDED SpOck to happen. It was the only light in the tunnel
>>
>>90822498
I don't recall it being a joke. It was more of a "That was a horrifying nightmare" after breaking up the marriage in the newspaper pissed everyone off too and even the people at the newspaper couldn't stand OMD.
>>
>>90825989
The thing about is that they were willing to come up with the stupidest rollbacks to reset to status quo to PARKER LUUUUCKKK. Like OMD. So why would I believe the CEO change is permanent?

Peter as CEO could also have potential but I also think it's not executed well in this run.
>>
File: danslott.jpg (100KB, 717x668px) Image search: [Google]
danslott.jpg
100KB, 717x668px
>>90825918
He did it before.
>>
>>90826091
>So why would I believe the CEO change is permanent?
You shouldn't. What is ever permanent?

Marvel seemed intent on getting rid of symbiotes in the early 00s (Carnage was ripped in half, Millar's run pretty much implies Eddie had died and not 'in the hospital', they were just keeping it on Gargan if that much). Now look where we are, Eddie's Venom again.

Sooner or later Peter's gonna go back to selling pictures for the Bugle while being broke, possibly leaving under Aunt May's roof. And a lot of people are clamoring for that.

Not me, I don't think this run is really exceptional or whatever but given how we can't ever run away from the Bugle and pictures, I'm a little surprised the whole "Peter as a scientist" has stuck around for this long.
>>
File: Spiderman 2009-01-04.gif (233KB, 900x631px) Image search: [Google]
Spiderman 2009-01-04.gif
233KB, 900x631px
>>90826088
Except that when that storyline started, the first Sunday outright says "In the days long before Peter and MJ were married".

Roy Thomas (who ghost writes the strip at times) even confirmed it outright that it was a flashback story during like the first week it was out.

My guess is they wanted to test and see if people were interested in the change (which wouldn't erase the marriage, but just be flashback stories starring a single Peter) but they also had a deliberate out.
>>
File: white supremacist pepe.jpg (18KB, 230x230px) Image search: [Google]
white supremacist pepe.jpg
18KB, 230x230px
>>90826120
Oh my god, HE'S A KIKE
>>
>>90825905
>Scientific intelligence = Good decision making in all situations, including social

Anon, that's retarded.
>>
>>90821947
The best part is a lot of the people Marvel's been getting in are still around their late 20s or early to mid 30s so they're people who absolutely did grow up with the marriage status quo.
>>
>>90826120
>Joke

I don't get it.
>>
>>90825719
And by "good stories" you mean it killed the sales for the entire franchise and basically put Spider-Man in a state of fail and AIDS and pissed off the ENTIRE FANBASE to the point that Marvel FIRED BOB HARRAS as editor in chief, along with forcing them to pay a kings ransom to JMS to take over the book?
>>
>>90826120
Ha! Hillarious. Always knew Slott was our guy
>>
File: IMG_1339.png (34KB, 641x266px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1339.png
34KB, 641x266px
>
>>
>>90826120
''I don't think he's amazing (heh)'' is already too obvious
>>
>>90826165
This has been well known for a long time anon.
>>
>>90826165
Spotted the /tv/ poster
>>
File: IMG_1341.png (15KB, 587x100px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1341.png
15KB, 587x100px
>>
>>90826206
Slott is such a cool guy, huh? Hehe. We should buy his books to support /ourguy/.
>>
>>90826213
What a fucking faggot
>>
>>90826246
HAHAHAHHA
>>
>>90825918
>their displeasure about Peter being a CEO
People don't like CEO Parker?

He's great, even if I admit the whole PARKERRRRR YOU'RE LATE FOR THIS MEETINNNNNNGGG!!! is getting old

But so was I NEED PICTURES, PARKER!

Peter just needs an evolving environment where he disappoints everyone
>>
>>90826256
Story behind this is that Scanbro leaked something and Slott got pissed off. It wasn't even something from one of his books if I remember correctly.
>>
>>90826255
I mean that he's just as pathetic as us you nerd
>>
>>90826288
>People don't like CEO Parker?
Yeah, a lot.
>>
>>90826213
>NEOGAF
>the most PROGRESSIVE circlejerk echochamber in recent history

Jeez Slotty, sounding like the places favored by your highness are running low.
>>
>>90826256
It's mainly because Bleeding Cool posted up an article spoiling something and used 4chan and NeoGaf as sources. Probably was a ScanBro thing like >>90826290 said.
>>
>be me
>be spider-man
>save everyone
>also be CEO
>be late for meeting cus saving people
>stocks plummet
REEEEEEEEEEEEE IM TRYING TO MAKE BOTH THINGS WORK REEEEE
>>
>>90826201
Well yeah. Also Paul Jenkins wrote some great single issues. Loved that fighting The Vulture in the snow issue.
>>
>>90826288
At least " I NEED PICTURES, PARKER!" Spider-Man had responsibility, he had to make money to provide for himself, which kept him keeping up with his job.

"PARKERRRRR YOU'RE LATE FOR THIS MEETINNNNNNGGG!!!" Spider-Man doesn't even have that since he doesn't need money anymore. It's a mother fucking Spider-Man book without responsibility.

Ideally, they should have kept Peter as a well off teacher (or maybe even college level professor), who makes a decent living. Not too concerned about cash, but concerned enough to take his job seriously.

Not to mention CEO Parker is a douche.
>>
I should also note that Roderick Kingsley (who was killed off when Roger Stern backed out of a plan to become one of Brand New Day's regular writers after his parroting the anti-MJ/Peter Marriage spiel* turned fandom against him and led to his first arc selling for shit), was always supposed to stay dead.

Marvel took so much shit from fans and Slott's own new Hobgoblin soundly and utterly rejected by fans, that they had to make Slott bring the original Hobgoblin back to life.

*It was SOP that if you wrote Spider-Man after OMD, that you had to bash the marriage in any promotional interview you did. If you didn't you didnt get to write Amazing.

It's also one of the reasons why Marvel never could get Bendis to writer Amazing Spider-Man; Bendis was too use to being able to do whatever the fuck he wanted to, to deal with the strict editorial mandates that came about with OMD, to bother writing Spider-Man
>>
>>90826213
What is the point he's even trying to make here?
>>
>>90826246
>Nothing is beneath me

Including a loving woman.

Maybe that's why he hates a married Peter so much. I mean, I don't recall seeing a ring on that fat little sausage he calls a finger. If he can't be happy, neither can Peter.
>>
>>90826374
>It's a mother fucking Spider-Man book without responsibility.

What about all the parts of his business that help poor people in terrible countries? Surely keeping his business up and running so that can continue is a large responsibility
>>
>>90826360
>Peter

>Caring about Parker Industries at all.

He legit does not care, he just uses it for the resources for Spider-Man. I don't even think he invents anything anymore, he has other people doing that.
>>
>>90826380
i bet 10 fucking bucks that Bendis aint writing is also because he wants his pet negro to be number 1 even though that will never happen
>>
>>90826390
>>Nothing is beneath me

>Including a loving woman.

You mean Anna Maria Marconi?
>>
>>90826389
The point was that he was upset at Bleeding Cool for spoiling something.
Then someone (maybe Rich) points out that 4chan and NeoGaf spoiled it.
Then Slott tried to point out that unlike 4chan and Neogaf, Bleeding Cool has headlines that get aggregated thru major search engines, so that's why he's more upset with them.
>>
>>90826288
Cool concept, poor execution (basically, Slott in a nutshell).
He constantly sneaks out of important meetings. Says street crime is below him. And outside of shitty toy commercial vehicles, he doesn't do anything interesting with his power and wealth. And like others have said, he's going lose it eventually so you don't grow too attached.
>>
>>90826213
what does this even mean
what did he even want to say here
>>
>>90826410
He's Aunt is in charge of that. The only time we've seen Spider-Man give a rats ass about the Uncle Ben Foundation is when he showed up to Africa because he thought Aunt May was in danger and recently when he used it as cover to get to Japan. Also, I'm pretty sure he mentioned something about how it relies on donations when it was revealed.
>>
>>90826213
Why does that even matter?
>>
>>90826426
Then he should just step down as CEO, the company would run better that way and he'd still be rich and have Spider-Man resources
>>
>>90826437
>Says street crime is below him.

Fuck, I forgot about that. That shit really pissed me off, how do you not understand the character that much.
>>
>>90826497
>Having even less responsibility than now.

Christ, before this post I thought that was impossible. Well done, Satan.
>>
>>90826437
When did he say street crime is below him?
>>
>>90826012
Yeah, the bitch MJ Slott/Quesada wrote and destroyed in the Spiderman books would never go to Stark. But lo and behold she involves herself in that super bullshit again and it works out like anyone expected - headquarters got 9/11'd and her boss drawn into another hero vs hero battle with him ending up "dead".

Brilliant move writers.
>>
Slott isn't wrong. He just got absurdly zealous over it
>>
>>90826543
If he stepped down as CEO then he would have more time to be Spider-Man and help people while the business would still be going
>>
>>90826201
I think if you want to give shit to the Mackie years you don't need to type something so long winded.

Just remember it had literal Norman Osborn Mind Control Toothpaste. That is all.
>>
>>90826374
>Spider-Man had responsibility, he had to make money to provide for himself, which kept him keeping up with his job.
>Spider-Man doesn't even have that since he doesn't need money anymore.
CEOs get paid the way they do because the entire business depends on them

But you're right, that sense of impending doom just isn't being translated well when people literally think of CEO Parker simply being late for meetings

It's hard to fit in the consequences of the adult world into a few pages, at least without children in the picture
>>
>>90826554
>>>>Slott isn't wrong
how so ? Peter acting like an adult could have actually be good for him and made the Spider-Man a legacy that actually made sense
>>
I think this is Slott's long-winded way of saying Disney/Marvel view Peter as they view Mickey Mouse. Can you ever picture Disney allowing Mickey getting married to Minnie?
>>
File: don-draper-mad-men.jpg (73KB, 1000x581px) Image search: [Google]
don-draper-mad-men.jpg
73KB, 1000x581px
>>90821255
Holy shit this.
>>
>>90826576
It makes sense in context of the universe, but it undermines the purpose of the character. The point of Spider-Man is that Peter Parker and Spidey's lives are intertwined. Too much focus on one side of his life damages the other side. If he was to devote his life to being 100% Spider-Man it wouldn't be Spider-Man anymore. The character would be absolutely unrecognizable.

Cool concept for an What If-, but I wouldn't want it as main continuity.
>>
>>90826380
I'd believe it. Spider-Man has always had some crazy people in charge throughout the ages. Like the other stories mentioned in this thread.
>>
Parker was a mistake
>>
>>90826592
>CEOs get paid the way they do because the entire business depends on them

I would agree with this, but you have to remember that Peter inherited Parker Industries from Doc Ock when he came back to life, and by that time the company was entirely self sufficient. It would be different if Peter actually struggled to get to his position.
>>
>>90826604
I wouldn't mind.
Funny story, the people who did the voices for Mickey and Minnie got married.
>>
>>90826604
>Can you ever picture Disney allowing Mickey getting married to Minnie?

Yes actually.
>>
>>90826604
Of course not
He's getting married to Donald in 2034 and adopting Huette, Louwynne, and Dilly to help them in their transition
>>
>>90826692
*Slott was a mistake

>>90826717
That Parker Industries had different inventions that Peter couldnt understand, then the building was destroyed, then Pete reinvigorated it with his own inventions, its practically a brand new company now compared to Otto's version, the only thing Peter piggybacked off was the brand recognition "Parker Industries"
>>
>>90826692
It's Donald E. Westlake's best work desu
>>
>>90826756
Oh yeah, I forgot about that. Then again, kinda hard not to forget when all this happened during a time cut.
>>
>>90826604
>Can you ever picture Disney allowing Mickey getting married to Minnie?

Sure. I mean a lot of people actually think they are even though they aren't. When was the last non-Minnie love interest in major media?
>>
>>90826757
Mah nigga.
>>
>>90826485
See >>90826434
>>
>>90824958
You only have to look at those great DC comics from the 80's. Swamp Thing, Sandman, Animal Man, Shade and Doom Patrol.
>>
>>90821222
Trips of Truth.

The smart guys, like Morrison, designate someone to tweet something once every couple months and that's it.
>>
>>90821222
I think the issue is that it's just created a lot more bubbles.
>>
>>90823221
>no cucking Ben?

I'm totally okay with that because it ultimately resulted in the creation of my waifu and OTP.
>>
>>90827465
>tfw no skrull gf
>>
>>90822564
Harry and Peter are the same character. Pretty talented kid who fell ass backwards into superheroism despite kind of inherently being a smarmy asshole.

They both even married their childhood redhead love interest. Sirius is literally Uncle Ben.
>>
>>90827523
Harry is an annoying faggot half the time
>>
>>90827465
I like Lyja too, but cucking Ben was still retarded and pointless.
>>
>>90821689
Milo was controversial long before the pedo thing, surely you must know this.
>>
>>90826742
>>90826900
Sorry, I meant least could you picture it and more do you think Disney would ever allow it. Spidey at this point is their most iconic character and they want to keep as much about him as static and status quo as possible.
>>
>>90824790
Except Slott doesn't get to write Miles, he writes Peter.

You see? This isn't about Marvel as a whole not wanting Peter to have a marriage, it's Slott being petty that he can't write for one of Bendis' creations.
>>
Does Slott not realize that if people had a steady alternative to his Spider-Man stories every month, they'd read that instead?

Every time an alternate take on Peter Parker shows up, be it a video game or a cartoon or whatever, people get enthusiatic about it. But not with Slott's run.

I'm willing to bet that there are even regularly updated Spider-Man fan fiction stories out there that do Peter and his supporting cast better justice than Slott's shit, because Slott's crap is already low quality fan fiction tier.
>>
>>90823904
>I mean, this is the guy who tried and tried to hard sell Alpha as Spidey's forever and ever new sidekick

I wasn't reading comics back then, is THAT why people practically froth at the mouth when talking about Alpha? I read the arc without any of that background in a random trade, and just thought "Okay, he's a bit of a cunt, but he only stuck around for one arc."
>>
>>90825361
You think THIS is why Slott is doubling down on the no marriage thing? DC is just fucking nailing it lately because they actually listened to their fans, meanwhile Marvel only brought back X-Men because NuHumans weren't selling.
>>
>>90826428
Bendis made his "I'm not writing Amazing Spider-Man because "there are too many rules" statement before Miles came along.
>>
What the FUCK is his problem? Why is he such a lil cunt?
>>
>>90827992
>Does Slott not realize that if people had a steady alternative to his Spider-Man stories every month, they'd read that instead?
Let's see how much Zdarsky's Spider-Man sells before saying this. RYV was a flop after all.
>>
>>90828048
Yeah, Marvel tried to sell Alpha like they did with SpOck and every event change that occurs. Nobody liked Alpha. Nobody wanted Alpha. Spider-Man never needed a sidekick. Marvel tried to give him one anyway. Alpha had a short arc in Spider-Man that no one liked at all and then he got his own mini which was, apparently, better than his Spidey arc but despite the higher quality writing, Alpha still faded into obscurity and now rests in the Endless Barrel of Unused Characters along with the Monkey King, Raizo Kodo, Millie the Model, Wraith, Wraith, Maggot, Hope Summers and, like, a million and one other random X-characters you, me, Marvel, and everyone else in the world have all forgotten about.
>>
>>90823221
>Or giving Reed and Sue's relationship a pedophilic subtext?
There was no attraction on older Reed's part. Young girls get crushes on older guys all the time.
>>
>>90822003
Superman is married.
>>
>>90823681
>That through whatever means ONLY the wedding story itself should be altered, and that practically every story you saw since took place exactly the way it happened in the comics, with the exception that Peter & MJ were living together and not married.
That was the most retarded shit.
>>
>>90828186
Speak for yourself, I hate how expensive Millie backissues are.
>>
>>90827569
So is Peter. Dude's a drama machine.
>>
>>90828144
flopped because it's an AU. Spectacular is gonna be the trust test.

even though i hate current Spidey and don't waste my money on it, i'll put it towards getting Slott booted off and buy Zdarsky's shit. even if its going to be shit (and it probably will be).
>>
>>90828143

He never found a woman to love him.
He's a bitter, lonely faggot.
>>
>>90828089
To be fair, I honestly think Slott would bring back the marriage or at least Peter/MJ as a couple, if he could get away with it.

I've always seen Slott as a tragic figure instead of history's greatest monster Spider-Man wise. He wanted to write Spider-Man so fucking badly, he sold out and became the chief water carrier for the editorial's anti-marriage crusade.

I honestly think, had Slott just fucking QUIT Spider-Man after Spider Island, he could have salvaged his reputation. The ending of Spider Island itself (Carlie gone, MJ/Peter sharing a moment that gave the illusion Marvel was finally going to reunite the two)
would have been the perfect escape hatch for Slott. He even could have bullshitted that he quit the book because he wanted MJ/Peter back together after Spider Island but quit when he was vetoed and said ending was his attempt to placate fans on his way out the door, even if editorial had no intention of following through.

But the Sinister Six and Superior Spider-Man arcs basically scorched earthed all of the good will Spider Island gave him.
>>
>>90824364

It contradicts the fact that Harry's death was Norman's entire motivation for returning to New York and masterminding the 1990s Clone Saga, and most of everything he did afterwards.

Norman knowing that Harry was alive the whole time is far beyond "dumb".
>>
File: wedge.png (522KB, 394x717px) Image search: [Google]
wedge.png
522KB, 394x717px
>Jew trying to prevent a healthy marriage between white people

WOOOOOOOOW WHO COULD HAVE POSSIBLY GUESSED
>>
>>90828393
Zdarsky's Spidey is DOA. He's admitted he's creating the next Carlie Cooper: basically an Amy Schumer stand-in that will be the "real" star of the book in terms of the book revolving around Faux Amy Schumer and Spidey.
>>
>>90828521
if Slott was less of an asshole, he would be a tragic figure. if he could hide is obvious disdain for Peter and MJ, he would not be so hated by fans. if he wasn't busy "killing" good characters (either by death or character assassination), he wouldn't be so hated. if he had any idea what Spidey was about (and he's shown with Spider Island once upon a time, he may have), he wouldn't be hated.

basically, hes hated because he sucks and he doubles down on what he sucks at. and then he also, as you say, carries water for the single most unpopular decision in the character's history.
>>
>>90826201

Bob Harras was fired because of Spider-Mann sales? Is this Jesse Baker or KBox? No-one else believes, nor has ever claimed, that was the reason he was fired.

The "official" reason he was fired was "failing to turn the success of the 1st X-Men movie into comics sales", the real reason was reported as being the result of a series of clashes with Bill Jemas.
>>
>>90828627
Where did he say that, Jesse?
>>
>>90827992
Readers don't care about quality, anon. They care about ASM because it's the "main" book thus "important" also "muh collection". It's why books like Spidey and RYV and eventually zdarksy's book bomb. Readers are autistic and only care about the main book (with the exception of Miles surprisingly). Hell, even if you took Slott off ASM, the book would still sell.
>>
>>90828627
there hasn't been any info revealed about Rebecca London other than that she's a comedian in NYC has there?
>>
>>90822317
>>90822687
Are you scottish by any chance?
>>
>>90828737
What, you can't use Google, you lazy cunt?

http://ew.com/books/2017/02/14/chip-zdarsky-peter-parker-spectacular-spider-man/
>I’m also introducing Rebecca London, a recent transplant to NYC looking to have a career in stand-up comedy. Spider-Man, not Peter, is the only person she’s managed to meet since arriving in the city, so they strike up a friendship and … possible love connection? Marvel is thrilled with me that she’s (sigh) “age appropriate.”
>>
>>90820581

It's like Slott somehow doesn't understand that part of the "one day I'll buy Marvel and make them do what I want" fantasy is that you'd fire all the idiots currently working there, from the top down, and replace them with people who are on board with what you want.

Or you could be that Anon, and pay Slott and Bendis to have sex with each other just to be allowed to 'write' those comics that are just adaptations of cartoon episodes.
>>
>>90828836
So in other words the only person claiming that it has anything to do with Amy Schumer is Jesse Baker in >>90828627 who's been known to post fake Marvel "insider" info in the past.
>>
>>90828847
You're reading an awful lot into that statement if you get
>basically an Amy Schumer stand-in that will be the "real" star of the book in terms of the book revolving around Faux Amy Schumer and Spidey.
out of it.
Though Zdarksy proved with Howard the Duck that he's pretty pozzed so I don't have much faith in his abilities anyhow.
>>
>>90828873
Who the fuck is Jesse Baker?
>>
>>90828921
The guy who posted >>90828627
>>
>>90827946
Actually it's a lot more complicated than that.

Slott has always been fucking butt hurt at Bendis and vice versa. His She-Hulk run was nearly derailed by Bendis deciding to have She-Hulk kill Vision and nearly kill her fellow teammates in a homicidal rage in Disassembled.

Similarly, Bendis shitted on Slott being allowed to use Wanda in his Avengers run (he was forced to have Loki pretending to be Wanda).

Not to mention the bullshit where Bendis would not let Slott use Norman Osborn during the early days of Brand New Day (Slott was only allowed to use Norman IIRC, once; the only other pre-Big Time usage of Norman was by Joe Kelly).

Not to mention Bendis shittng on Brand New Day by having Spidey out himself to the Avengers a month after the first couple of Brand New Day issues came out.

Bendis meanwhile, has the butt-hurt where he realized around the time Brand New Day happened, that no one at Marvel gave a shit about Ultimate Spider-Man anymore and worse, was when they forced him to reboot Ult Spidey against his will (Bendis cried so hard they eventually brought back the old numbering). By this point Bendis decided to nuke everything out of spite for the Ultimate line no longer being top priority and killed Peter off and replaced him with a black expy of his wife's black bastard spawn.

And as another poster mentioned, Bendis keeps talking vague "rules" that keep him from just pushing Slott off the main Spidey book. IE he is too much of an egomaniac to deal with the tight control editorial has over who writes ASM, to keep them supporting the end of the Spider-Man marriage.

The editorial shit is also why, outside of AXIS, Peter's had pretty much minimum role in any of the big Marvel X-Overs.

The creation of Miles ultimately led to Bendis wanting Peter dead period, which was his secret goal for Civil War II. Slott, in a rare moment of courage, screamed "You aren't killing Spider-Man" and stopped him.
>>
>>90828937
That literally tells me nothing.
>>
>>90829004
The guy who creates threads like these.

desuarchive.org/co/thread/86927702/
>>
>>90828963
You got a source for those claims, chum?
>>
>>90828963
>Slott, in a rare moment of courage, screamed "You aren't killing Spider-Man" and stopped him.
That was a joke, and Slott doesn't have any final say over whether or not a character can die.
>>
>>90829028
Again, that tells me nothing. Is this a name I should be familiarized with?
>>
>>90828963
I knew about the Spider-Man getting killed for CW2 thing, but I just assumed it was a joke. Like, every big event they just start off with "Let's kill Spider-Man" and then laugh and move on, but that really does sound like Bendis.
>>
>>90828539
What made the resurrection story we eventually got suck as badly as it did, was that they pissed away a far far far better way to bring Harry back: Secret Invasion.

The idea that Harry was replaced by a Skrull who died, would have made far far far better sense and preserved Norman's entire arc, PLUS give an actual legitimate reason WHY Norman suddenly had a hard on to HATE the Avengers and Iron Man in general: his son was taken from him by aliens the Avengers, Iron Man in particular, purposely pissed the fuck off.

There was already a huge gap between OMD and the first issue of BND, plus a lot of Spider-Man crossover stuff that could not be fitted between the two. Have BND take place after Secret Invasion would have worked
>>
>>90829058
>I just assumed it was a joke
It is, or rather, it's bullshit /co/ made up.
>>
>>90829059
That wouldn't work because Skrulls change back when they die.
>>
Yo I just thought of something, what happens when someone else wants to write for the main Spidey book?
>>
>>90828921
/Co/'s version of "Who's John Galt?"
>>
>>90829057
>Again, that tells me nothing

A guy who has a very particular writing style and is known for exaggerating or flat out lying about "insider" info and whose posts are similar to >>90829059 and >>90828963
>>
>>90829109
More often that not Marvel offers you work on a certain title, pitching a run yourself is very rare and usually not allowed.
>>
>>90829088
>> Though they also didn’t immediately settle on a big-name hero to turn into the culprit, Bendis kept referring to the doomed hero as Peter Parker, aka Spider-Man.

“Do you see me worried? I’m not worried,” whispers “Amazing Spider-Man” writer Dan Slott. “This is not my first rodeo. By the end of the afternoon, it won’t be Peter Parker.”

And sure enough, Parker is saved a grim fate by the afternoon as mass opinion shifts attention to other characters.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/marvel-kill-character-civil-war-ii-article-1.2491020
>>
>>90829109
If more popular than Slott: Slott might get pushed off

If not as popular as Slott or less popular: Probably get a side book like Zdarsky.
>>
>>90829125
Alright, was that really so hard to say?
>>
>>90829148
And that was a fucking joke that people keep thinking is literally serious.
>>
>>90829057
"Jesse Baker" is a term/phrase used by trolls to accuse another troll of speaking harsh truths, with little regard for civility or tact.....
>>
>>90829148
Well no wonder these big events turn out shitty if they write them like that.
>>
>>90827869

Whatever logic there is to this, it's countered by the fact that if Disney doesn't seem to care what Marvel does, it's more interested in just owning the characters for movie, cartoon and merchandising reasons.

Most comics sell to under 100,000 people per month. This is so few people that what the comics are doing barely matters, so long as it doesn't mean bad publicity. At this point, Big 2 comics are in the same territory as the original Ninja Turtles comics. They're the original continuity, the source material everything else comes from, but barely anyone reads them compared with the millions who watch the movies and cartoons. If Disney don't care about forcing total movie- or cartoon- synergy onto the comics, why would they care about the status quo of individual characters or books unless it has some kind of negative impact on the entire brand?

You make Spider-Man a murderer, a rapist or a furry, you're going to get bad publicity and ruin the entire brand. You make Spider-Man married in the comics, most of the world won't even notice or care, because the only Spider-Man they know is in movies and cartoons.

This is far more about the manchildren who work for Marvel wanting their childhood status quo back, than anything about wanting a marketable status quo.
>>
>>90820797

While this is all true, I do wonder how much of the motivation for wanting to undo the marriage almost as soon as it happened, is owed to the fact that it was one of the last big editorial decisions made by Jim Shooter before he was forced out.

Slott hits on a real tragedy of all this, though, and not just for Peter/MJ. With the exception of Reed/Sue, entire generations of readers have grown up without any of the classic Marvel marriages, most of which were undone for brief shock drama or sheer spite.
>>
>>90820348
>>90820374
>Marvel could be bought out, have it's it entire staff overturned and it would be literally impossible for the marriage to be restored because Marvel doesn't want it to happen

Does Slott think Marvel is somekind of divine entity with a will of its own, and not a company run by humans
>>
>>90824083

Whay if JMS pitched OMD as Act 1 of a 2 or 3 act story, but Quesada went midlife crisis on it and forced it to be the new, permanent status quo?
>>
>>90829109
You write an elseworld (RYV), or an elseworld pretending to be canon (Spidey), a ongoing that isn't ASM (that Spidey teaching the X-kids book), a Spidey team-up book (Avenging, Deadpool/SPM), a different character spider book (2099, Silk, Spider-Woman, Spider-Gwen, ect), or a short story in some point .5 issues.

You don't get the main ASM. Slott has full control of that. And he is NEVER going to give it up. It will be 2076 and Slott will still be writing ASM.

Them's the rules
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6CVwGMb6xGw Reminder Quesada went to Howard Stern to defend OMD.
>>
>>90829508
I don't think it's because of Shooter. It's just because there was a focus in making the characters young and relatable. Rob Liefeld talked about Harras not wanting Cable to look old:

https://twitter.com/robertliefeld/status/382915957791797249
https://twitter.com/robertliefeld/status/382915140401647616

And I think that spilled over to other characters, especially since Harras was EIC during the late 90's.
>>
>WHY CAN'T SLOTT SAY WHY THE MARRIAGE CAN'T COME BACK
>WHY
>WHY

Have none of you faggots heard of a NDA?
>>
>>90829566

You...Do realize that Dan Slott is an obese 50 year old man who eats a shit ton of McDonalds and gets stressed out and angry over every little criticism, right?

That's a formula for being dead by 55.
>>
>>90829738
we can only hope, but the sad truth is, whoever follows Slott will probably end up being even worse
>>
>>90829738
>>90829815
With the formula that marvel is following, im glad i abandoned ship a long time ago, soon Bendis will take over, change the company name to Tumblr or White People Suck and turn every character into a minority of some kind.
I've heard what he did to Venom and i recently read an issue of his Spider-Man hispanic variant and it focused solely on a fat asian trying to convince a black kid it was worse being fat than black.
I didn't hate OMD because I at least hoped they'd keep them together, just not married but they broke up their own, better version of Clark and Lois.
I'll buy Marvel books again when they stop trying to market their books to people with made up genders.
>>
>>90820883
So fucking lame
>>
>>90829699
yea, i'd have to imagine that at least a few higher ups weren't pleased with this latest manchild autismo rant of his too. tipping their hand that Peter can never be not single.
>>
>>90826428
BND's Amazing Braintrust was set up years before Miles was created.
>>
>>90820348
>>90820324

He's right that editors and writers wanted to get rid of MJ for years and years, but once sales hit the fucking gutter, it's not far from possibility that they'd pull some sales bait shit by bringing the marriage back.
>>
>>90820439

The only 18 year olds I knew who were reading Spider-Man comics stopped when OMD happened because they don't like shit stories or direction
>>
File: Cocktease.png (290KB, 475x276px) Image search: [Google]
Cocktease.png
290KB, 475x276px
>>90820316
>massively against them getting back together
>puts this in Spider Island
>followed by a shot of them cuddling overlooking NYC
This man is by far the worst for throwing shit in fans faces, he knows it'd help the book do better plus it'd help Spider-Man not be such a douche but instead he cucks him with Tony.
>>
>>90820439

Which is why we have Gwen Stacy back from the dead in any shape or form despite nobody who read comics in the 80's or 90's giving a fuck about her?
>>
>>90830383
Don't you remember, they were all for getting back together, then Spock took over and acted too weird for her so she decided to bail forever again.
>>
>>90830599
I'll never forget that, as good as Superior was, the whole scene with him trying to fuck MJ was rapey and weird. Someone fire Slott please.
>>
>>90830383

This is an example of a wider problem, that's not just Slott, not even just Marvel, but any Big 2 superhero marriage or romance that was popular and ran for years. After they kill it, they string fans along with occasional teases that they'll get back together, teases they have no intention of following through on.
>>
>>90830714
Like Barry and Iris, Flash Rebirth is just a huge cocktese for those two
>>
>>90829677

If Harras had an agenda of not wanting heroes to look "too old", that only explains things from about 1996 onwards, so for Spider-Man, only MJ's 'death' in 1999. It wouldn't explain why people within Marvel wanted to undo the marriage almost as soon as it happened, in 1987.
>>
All that has to happen is for the marriage to be in a movie and Marvel will revert it in a second.
>>
So what Slott is saying is that there's an actual conspiracy at Marvel to prevent Peter and MJ from being married?
>>
>>90830710
Slott was self-inserting with the conclusion, where Otto decides it's just easier to jerk Peter's penis while replaying all his sex memories.
>>
>>90830839

He seems to be suggesting that even if you took over the company, fired everyone, and started over with your own people, you would still not be able to have Peter and MJ be married, as if the company itself is sentient and would not let you do it.

He's finally lost it.
>>
>>90830902
Well, given how Slott made "Silver Surfer" #11, I have a feeling that he's read Grant Morrison but completely misinterpreted what Morrison had to say.

That is, Morrison believes DC Comics to be real and a sentient universe. Slott seems to think that Morrison meant that the comic book companies themselves are sentient, and not the characters within.
>>
>>90830902
>He's finally lost it.

Losing it implies he had it to begin with.
>>
>>90820960
Kek. What a pussy.
>>
File: 1478768261596.jpg (30KB, 650x364px) Image search: [Google]
1478768261596.jpg
30KB, 650x364px
>>90822555
This is why God doesn't talk to us any more.
>>
>>90826578

Didn't Stern write that miniseries with the evil toothpaste, not Mackie?
>>
>>90828089

Most X-Men books weren't top-selling titles even before the Inhumans push began, and hadn't been for years before. You have to go back before the launch of the Ultimate line to find a time when the X-Men were Marvel's undisputed top-sellers. Marvel is probably launching more new X-Men books than there's a market for.
>>
>>90830971
The only reason to read Slott's Silver Surfer is for Alred's art.
>>
Couldn't Ike just come into the office and demand changes? Couldn't the Disney CEO do the same?
>>
>>90830714
Mary Jane exists right now to act as an ace in the hole for bad book sales. look at what her cover and inclusion in ASM 15 did.

they'll include her, tease a little romance like in Spider-Island, and then ultimately have her bail in some fashion where the relationship is worse off than before.
>>
>>90831673
The comics portion is separate

But that doesn't stop them from attempting synergy if they think it'll result in more sales
>>
>>90831673

Yes.
If anyone important at Disney says "Hey, our research shows that we'd make make a 55% increase in profits if Spider-Man and Mary Jane were married again", you can damn well be sure it'll happen.
>>
>>90821905

love how you left out Superman
>>
>>90831139
Yeah.

Also Mackie didn't have anything to do with the Goblin arc that ran in RotG and ASM/PPSM #25. He basically let Paul Jenkins ghostwrite ASM #25 because he was so bad off from the rather extensive chemo treatments he was undergoing at the time (Mackie got diagnosed with cancer late 1999).

Also, the toothpaste bit was the LEAST OFFENSIVE bit from this era of Spider-Man. This was the same time where Mattie Franklin tried to rape Peter, days after MJ was presumed dead, and effectively turned fandom against her forever.
>>
>>90832365
Everyone knows you can't rape a man lmao
>>
>>90832140

I like how he also said normies wouldn't approve, when a good chunk of normies probably think they're still married.
>>
>>90831399
You mean his thinly veiled Doctor Who fanfiction?
>>
>>90830300

They won't. Marvel's run by zealots that would rather LOSE money than admit their ideas are shit.

The Spider-Books have been in the shitter for over a decade sales-wise. Sales have been their lowest that they've ever been, even lower than the Mackie/Byrne days, which was the previous nadir period.

They've had plenty of times to try and right the ship, but they'd rather the book continue to sink lower and lower than make the much needed course correction, because they'd rather crash the plane with no survivors than admit they fucked up.
>>
>>90832536
Sales are up compared to the post-BND pre-Superior days last time I checked.
>>
>>90823627
Shit, that is a fat man.
>>
>>90832608
It's all compressed into a tiny package too.
>>
>>90832658
I'm not sure that's a good example. Matt Smith is kind of a giant.
>>
>>90832687
>6 feet
>giant
To a manlet, yes.
>>
>>90832658
Wonder if he can see his dick with that huge gut in the way?
>>
>>90820883
You have to remember that Slott is a fanboy first and foremost. People say "oh he's a keeper of continuity" but only of the continuity he likes. He's against "dark and violent" stuff but only when it's somebody else making it because his ideas are so great and awesome. Slott is what happens when you give the ultimate fanboy essentially total control over a comic. He just does whatever the fuck he wants with it regardless of how well he comes off. See also him turning Silver Surfer into a Doctor Who fanfic because he desperately wants to write for Doctor Who.
>>
>>90832536

Ugh... /co/ is so small-minded sometimes.

Comics are merely a breeding ground for characters, properties, and ideas that will eventually be sold as toys and merchandise.

A dip in comic sales for a major character like Spider-man, Superman, or Batman--especially Batman--doesn't mean shit when toy sales may be up.

/co/ still thinks that comic companies want to still sell comic books with artistic integrity or great stories. If that were the case, don't you think they would move away from events? Don't you think they would NOT reboot universes every 5-10 years or so? Don't you think they would take more risks on original characters?

I can slowly begin to see what "fight battles, win wars" means to creatives working in corporate environments. You may want to execute x-y-z idea, but you're going to have shut up, compromise, and prioritize the one story you CAN tell, and just shill the company's bottom-line-selling ideas.

---

Where's Murderanon? I want to read the Invincible thread now.
>>
>>90821066
From what I can find, that was Wacker who kept getting banned from Spider-Man Crawlspace and creating sock puppets until it was found out and he was IP banned. Slott just accuses anyone who disagrees or argues with him of being a sock puppet instead.
>>
>>90832536

Spider-Man is far from the only example of this. Marvel may have backed down from the Inhumans push because it isn't selling, and are finally re-focusing on the core Inhumans cast in their new books, but how many times have they launched a new Carol Danvers Captain Marvel book as if it'll work this time? Anyone at Marvel who even suggested reverting her back to her old Ms Marvel costume and body would probably be fired, even if they all know it would likely sell better.

Also, look at how all of the "replacement heroes" have crashed sales on books, because the drive to replace all of the old heroes is ideological, so they won't back down from it, even if they're losing money.

Alonso, Brevoort, and everyone else needs to go before they kill Marvel entirely, but Disney won't get rid of them because they don't care about comics sales, just about owning the characters.
>>
File: LOLOLOL.jpg (14KB, 150x145px) Image search: [Google]
LOLOLOL.jpg
14KB, 150x145px
>>90822555
>A TALE OF TWO MASCOTS: HOW FURRIES SPURNED BY TONY THE TIGER ARE BEING EMBRACED BY CHESTER CHEETAH
>>
At this point they should just scrap the entire Marvel Universe and rebuild it from the ground up with a hard reboot.

All of these soft reboots are doing more harm than good. And they're going to keep doing them every other year and making it worse and worse.
>>
>>90832865

Doesn't this describe most fans who become writers? So many continuity-obsessive writers only stay loyal to the things they like, and go out of their way to destroy things a less-continuity-conscious writer might just ignore. So many "traditionalists" who cried about the grim-gritty excesses of the 1990s ended up writing things even more dark and violent.
>>
Perhaps Slott will one day reach the point where they pay him to not write comics, like Claremont.
>>
>>90825557
I know a lot of people liked USM, and I can see why. Peter is super likable in it. But literally everything in that story hinges on convenience. "Only Peter can use the symbiote? How convenient." "Brock's parents were friends with Peter's? How convenient." "Kingpin sells Spidey merch? How convenient." Also, everything in that series, is just all the famous Spider-Man stories condensed in an easy spoon fed version and I don't feel they're nearly as good as the originals. The only plus I have for USM is them doing a better Clone Saga.
>>
>>90833705
As someone who one day hopes to get into the Art side of comics and having spent a lot of time discussing ideas with future potential writers, expect the SJW shit to hit the roof, most normal people went into jobs they know will be successful,all the tumblr tards want jobs in writing and shit because it makes them 'individual' and 'gives them a voice' when in reality there are a shit tonne of writers in the world and the only people reading their drivel will already have the mindset they want to change, i.e, useless
>>
>>90827824
Yes, but to publicly belittle someone via tweet quote over who they support is a really dick thing to do.
>>
File: Jessica and Gwen.jpg (132KB, 800x1132px) Image search: [Google]
Jessica and Gwen.jpg
132KB, 800x1132px
>>90833867
Ah, Ultimate Jessica. It could have been such an interesting concept.
>>
>>90834061
>Ah, Ultimate Jessica. It could have been such an interesting concept.
God damn Bendis.
>>
File: tumblr_odnkfa6Pwe1tvtrqdo1_500.gif (993KB, 499x205px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_odnkfa6Pwe1tvtrqdo1_500.gif
993KB, 499x205px
>>90829655
>Forgetting TAS
>Forgetting Spider-Man Raimi
>Forgetting Unlimited
>Forgetting the games
>>
>>90829655
>Quesada stuttering so damn much.

These goddamn mental gymnastics.
>>
>>90829655
>We get a lot of backlash from everything we do.

>It's part of what we do for the business.

IT'S REGARDED AS THE WORSE CAPE COMIC OF ALL TIME!!!!
>>
>>90833936

So what you're saying is...If you want to write fiction, do the opposite of what SJWs do, since your writing style will be in demand in an ocean of SJW garbage?
>>
>>90834342
Just this year i've heard 5 people who are 'switching it up' by having a female lead. I had one guy tell me he was going to make his lead a woman who doesn't need superpowers to take down the government in the hopes some girls will see he's not like other men.
So yeah, do the total opposite and the current 25+ age of comic readers will lap you up
>>
>>90830971
>Slott seems to think that Morrison meant that the comic book companies themselves are sentient, and not the characters within.

To be fair Morrison has played with the Sentinent corporation angle in Marvel Boy (and somewhat in Action Comics with a corporation controlling a universe). In both cases they were out right evil.
Thread posts: 520
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.