[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How come the West doesn't do serialized High Fantasy cartoons,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 3

How come the West doesn't do serialized High Fantasy cartoons, /co/?

All my life I've been brewing up this universe that I think would be perfect as a Avatar:TLA- Like series but I realized that sort of thing doesn't seem to be all the popular or likely and that TLA seemed to be a very freak thing.
Some of my favorite movies like Wizards or the animated LOTR but with an art style of more contemporary cartoons like OK KO/Lakewood Plaza Turbo

What are some good examples of western High Fantasy animations done right?
>>
They don't do them unless they're CGI and 60% comedy. Everything has to be episodic plots, everything has to be comedy so even the stupidest children can watch.

Enjoy your hell.
>>
>>90817349
I'll tell you right now that falling for the Cal-arts meme is a way to ruin your good idea.
>>
>>90817349

Sorry anon I can't think of anything
>>
File: 1477260802232.png (258KB, 578x523px)
1477260802232.png
258KB, 578x523px
>>90817374

I already live in hell anon, the best thing I can do is make the most of it

>>90817396
I think Wakfu is a close one

>>90817382
I think there's a wrong way and a right way, and most of the time it's done the wrong way
>>
>>90817349
High Fantasy is dead, deconstuction is the only way.
>>
>>90817374
this
>>
The West does fantasy and high fantasy, just mixed with comedy or being somewhat childish because hats what tends to sell the most. Disney does fantasy, but you bet it's usually princess shit or live action. Stuff like Adventure Time, Avatar: TLA, Korra, Magisword, Samurai Jack and such tend to happen. You sometimes will get shit that mixes a few things from fantasy or high fantasy like DC's animated films. Also, Wakfu and Dofus are a thing. Europe might have some cartoons you might have missed. There's old cartoons like Dungeons and Dragons, the classic He-Man (and it's 2003 remake), Thundercats (and the 2011 remake), and so on.
Also, this kind of genre has been more accessible in live action films and television than in animation ever since the Lord of the Rings film franchise got big. You had fantasy shows before, but Peter Jackson's movies basically proved they can be HUGE. You got shit like Merlin, Game of Thrones, Supernatural, The Magicians, Once Upon a Time and so on that uses fantasy, high fantasy or mixes them up in a contemporary setting. Whether those are good or bad, well, that's up to your taste or liking.
>>
>>90817349
Action cartoons cost more money, serialized cartoons can't air episodes in any order, and neither get better ratings than episidic comedies.
>>
>>90817349
I think that a good High Fantasy cartoon could be successful, something well-executed and straight-forward that mixes the formula up a little bit (something like Bone or the Belgeriad).

Problem is that, like all serialized action cartoons, it needs to move merchandise and most action shows have a problem doing that.

Best you can hope for is that Voltron blows up on Netflix, causing them to commission more action-focused cartoons. Or maybe Hulu picks one up.
>>
Not all high fantasy is action-oriented. So is an action-oriented series really necessary to get high fantasy onscreen? You could do slice of life in a high fantasy setting. You could do mystery in a high fantasy setting. You could make stuff that would usually be boring in the real world interesting just by setting it in a high fantasy world and seeing how different it would be.
>>
Silmaril the Animated Series.
>>
>>90820804
SoL high fantasy in the vein of something like Adventure Time, Regular Show, We Bare Bears or even Steven Universe would probably be pretty successful now. I mean, just think about it: an elf, an orc, a dwarf and a human living in the same appartment/castle or some shit and they just live normal lives while poking fun at the tropes or elements of high fantasy. I can see something like that kicking off and doing ok.
>>
File: 1318474088298.jpg (3KB, 262x192px) Image search: [Google]
1318474088298.jpg
3KB, 262x192px
Why a cartoon and not a comic? We need more fantasy comics.
>>
>>90823283
Well, the op's post has pic from Wormworld Saga.
>>
>>90823283
There's tons of fantasy comics. They're just really obscure.
>>
>>90823283
move to Europe, we're drowning in fantasy comics here
>>
>>90817460
>>I think Wakfu is a close one

Wakfu is actually perfect, and France is the only one putting these kinds of shows out, and it's literally because the way they budget shows and meassure success and ratings is different.

the problems with US animation is systemic and not cultural imo.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.