[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Cliches and Originality

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1488846457917.gif (269KB, 500x282px) Image search: [Google]
1488846457917.gif
269KB, 500x282px
>Can't kill the main villain right away or the movie ends.
What if the hero killed the villain only for another villain to replace him?

>There are no original ideas.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0v7oFz1zf3c

>There are no original executions.
A tv series made by the same exact team behind the movie. With 60 minute episodes each.

>A show is amazing in some parts, but awful in the others.
Fire Matt Groening, David X Cohen and rehire all the writers behind Futurama to start an entirely new cartoon. Pair the writers together with genuinely charming movie directors who know what they're doing.

The writing staff held three Ph.D.s, seven master's degrees, and cumulatively had more than 50 years at Harvard University. Series writer Patric M. Verrone stated, "we were easily the most overeducated cartoon writers in history".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7i8pWbTKAps
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXlmB0z8H1w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pkd5mYvKWig
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7fR6gLQ2C8

>Anime is le superior
Fire all the autistic knuckleheads who can't think through 1 simple idea and who cannot make their characters behave like normal charming intelligent human beings.
>But the demographic obligates us to.
Fire the demographic. No more excuses.
>>
File: fc3_scr_a9_02_vaas.jpg (927KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
fc3_scr_a9_02_vaas.jpg
927KB, 1920x1080px
>>90709938
>What if the hero killed the villain only for another villain to replace him?

This happens in video games and it can be bad.
>>
>>90709973
Another idea would be to just introduce 9-12 recurring villains like El Tigre and Batman did, that way we don't fall in the same trap XIaolin Showdown did by making Jack Spicer then replacing him with Chaise Young then a literal talking bean.
>>
>>90710313
>tfw Xiaolin showdown was the first show I had loved and had to drop forever because I fucking hated that bean so goddamn much
>>
>>90709938
>let's not build up to villain's defeat and replace him with another who will more than likely be a piece of shit
You are fucking cancer.

>M-MUH ORIGINALITY
Overrated. The only thing that really matters is execution.
>>
>>90710819
> Overrated. The only thing that really matters is execution.

This. Cliches and tropes are storytelling conventions that have endured because people LIKE them, and they generally work when used competently. Obviously an idiot can misuse them and fuck them up, but that's the fault of the idiot not the tools.

There are a ton of "original" ideas that only seem original because everyone who knows what they are doing knows better than to do that.

For example:
> What if the hero killed the villain only for another villain to replace him?

Then the first guy wouldn't actually be the villain. This happens all the time in movies. Look at any James Bond film, he usually ends up killing some bad guy before the opening credits. That guy probably could have been the villain if we saw the rest of that story, but we didn't. This movie isn't about him.
>>
Caring about subversions and nothing else, anticlimax be damned, is one of the reasons why homosuck got to be so fucking bad.
>>
>>90709938
Luke Cage, kinda.
>>
>>90709938
Death Note is a good example
>>
>>90709973
On that note, Saints Row The Third pissed me off with that so much.
>see this badass crime lord who is responsible for Johnny Gat's death? Not really, but at the time it made him feel pretty damn threatening up until he dies in a goofy cutscene
>your new main villain is a goofy Luchador with anger issues
>maybe that's not so bad. He's not as menacing as the guy before him but maybe it will work out
>the next main villains are a generic military asshole and his female assistant who doesn't have a personality
>by the end of canon ending the luchador escapes, you never fight the military guy and only get to kill his female assistant who isn't even a good boss material.
Fuck, who thought that the final fight (not counting the shitty movie within the game) should be a rehash of the lamest boss fight from SR2 except with a fucking nobody who doesn't have a single memorable personality trait?
Aforementioned Veteran Child was better and he was supposed to be a cowardly wimpy asshole way over his head, not final boss..
>>
>>90711111
And Dexter.
I know about Ray Stevenson's scheduling issues, but the writers who couldn't write his character out of the show in a satisfying manner deserve blame.
>>
>>90711146
nobody thinks that was a good idea though
>>
>>90709938
>Can't kill the main villain right away or the movie ends.
No no the problem is when the tv series wastes 26 episodes on the heroes unable to kill the fucking henchmen, that's where I draw the line.
Otherwise not killing the main big bad until the finale is acceptable, it's his retarded henchmen which should be expendable, but never fucking die which are annoying to have around for the entire series.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.