[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gravity Falls: Bill as a villain

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 168
Thread images: 29

File: IMG_0637.png (646KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0637.png
646KB, 1280x720px
How well do you think bill did as a villain, /co/?
>>
>>90705101
He was great as a character, but as the main villain he just didn't fit the bill.
>>
He was pretty played up as a villain inside the show but didn't seem to quite come across as frightening as he was supposed.
>>
He was OK. Clearly many of the people who followed Gravity Falls from the beginning saw something in him that was never there and were disappointed in the ending, but I think he played the old "charismatic god of chaos" role well.
>>
Mabel was a more effective villain than him
>>
Terrible.

He started amusing, but not very interesting character with ambigious motives. He was completely unfit for the ending.
>>
>>90705101
He felt like a Great Gazoo-styled insufferable magical side character shoehorned into the main villain role and it really didn't work very well in the end.
>>
File: 1460767769838.jpg (105KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
1460767769838.jpg
105KB, 700x700px
Very iconic and memetic character, felt like they were going for something more with him that didn't quite play out and was pretty by the numbers in a lot of the finale arc compared to before, but also the build-up and hype for him could probably never have been matched by anything. I was disappointed that he didn't have much of a plan but if I binge-watched it and didn't get hyped by all the codes I probably wouldn't have thought much of it. His first two appearances were still much funnier and more entertaining than his later appearances though.
>>
>>90705101
Slightly annoying but pretty menacing until the finale.
>>
>>90705324
What changed in the finale?
>>
>first apparence: defeated by question marks and kitten heads

>second apparence: defeated singlehandedly by a little girl

And it just went downhill from there
>>
>>90705101
It felt like he was trying to be an even sillier version of Aku without the constant imposing threat or the reason as to why he does roundabout shit rather than snapping his fingers and murdering everyone he wanted out of his way. He could have put Ford in a fake world with a fake Dipper like he did with Mabel that would've eventually tricked him into spilling secrets. Bill could've say there for years of Ford's life passing by, let fake Dipper grow up, and wait for the perfect moment to strike before making the world disappear and laughing in his face. He could have killed the rest of the Ford family and just gotten them out of the way. But he didn't. Why?

He didn't view them as playthings. He was willing to just stop anyone in their tracks who was a threat. He didn't have a boner for having a rival. He didn't have a flawed personality trait that provided a reason for his own ironic downfall. He was just de-powered and made dumber.

Him possessing Dipper was great. I wish we got more shit like that where Bill would keep cramming his way into the Pines families lives other than, what was it, like three times he showed up?
>>
>>90705101
He was a disappointment.
>>
>>90705354
How could you get appointed to begin with?
>>
If he wanted Mabel out of the way and didn't want to kill her for whatever reason, why not just turn her to stone and make her part of the people throne?
>>
>>90705252
This

I like Bill, but he wasn't really main villain tier....should have been a bit more similar to say Discord from horses show, not saying he had to have a reformation story but more along the lines of being a chaotic neutral character who only acts on his own interest rather than FINAL BOSS PURE EVIL MASTERMIND kinda guy
>>
>>90705101
Absolute garbage with no redeeming qualities.
Annoying and utterly boring.
>>
>>90705415
He was actually conceived of with that role in mind, don't know what changed. 2B felt rushed to compensate from a sudden decision not to do a third season in a lot of ways.
>>
>>90705328
There was a creepiness to not knowing and some of the crazier shit he did like in the Bill reddit AMA (linking fans to pictures of real rabbit corpses rotting and being eaten by maggots) seemed kind of off-kilter and fucked up, like he might rip off his amiable face and reveal screaming Lovecraftian horror underneath. In his second appearance he possesses a child and forces him to hurt himself not because he has to, but just for kicks. That's fucked up and he's sort of an unpredictable psycho of unknown power level, also he was fucking everywhere in the early codes and episodes in the background, so people thought he might be controlling townwide or worldwide conspiracies.

In the first episode he pulls an Arthas and lets to protagonists win, that and the "Cipher Wheel" made people think his "losses" were on purpose and he was playing some much bigger game.

Then in the end, it turns out he doesn't have creepy sadistic goals really, he just wants to throw a stupid party and everything else is incidental. Worse he's been planning things through for a billion years but he didn't think anything through and has to beg for help, he's easily tricked and beaten and dismissive of threats. Maybe the problem was making him too powerful but it was a let down.

Also Bill's real strength as a villain was in emotionally torturing the characters, but that sort of goes poof in the finale. Mabel's guilt and horror at what he makes her do just disappears like it never happened. Remember how in Sock Opera he forces Mabel and Dipper to confront Mabel's selfishness, and even though it's not on purpose his first appearance tests the relationship between Stan and Dipper, and his third tests the relationship between Ford and Dipper. But in his final appearance, all the very personal turmoil, drama, and sadism that made those earlier appearances dramatic is gone, instead he's a just big dumb monster that lumbers around after the protagonists which is just boring.
>>
>>90705328
He jobbed hard. Also he came off as more nefarious before you find out just how trivial and petty his goals are.
>>
File: gf.png (639KB, 800x1135px) Image search: [Google]
gf.png
639KB, 800x1135px
>>90705393
Sexual tension.
>>
>>90705324
>pretty menacing
Nah.
>>
>>90705516
>He was actually conceived of with that role in mind
The first idea for him was a running joke character who would show up every episode in Dipper's dreams that also made fun of conspiracy theorists (which is kind of out there for a kids' show and so that's sort of appealing) and maybe turned out to be helping the characters out so I guess that's sort of true. I think by the time they started making the show he was the Big Bad but his arc got abbreviated. If he's had a few more appearances including, and this is important, a few wins before the finale and a clever master plan he could have worked as a bad guy I think but it would have taken more time. Obviously people found the character concept very appealing but he was shoved into a very generic role in the last few episodes and lost the aspects of his character that made me interested in him mostly, there were a few funny bits and great visuals (I really liked his death scene) but mostly he was just a prop that could be replaced by any other random MotW.

Still overall I would say he was a good and very memorable character the end just left a bitter taste in my mouth that's all wishing the interesting stuff with him went somewhere.
>>
Bill always came off as a herald to me. A trickster type who came just before the main bad guy or someone who had plans to avoid the main bad guy and they just happen to cross with the protagonists' plans. I was disappointed that they made him the final villain and that he didn't really do that much. I didn't try to decipher any clues or codes. It wasn't them building him up to be something more than he was. I just expected him in a completely different role I guess.
>>
Peaked in Sock Puppet Opera. Dat everything.

People call it a "decline of character" but that's just because there was no other way for him to go but down.
>>
>>90705723
Killing S3 probably forced them to shoehorn him into the final boss role instead of just being a pest whose mere jovial trickery was enough to bring chaos and destruction into out unprepared existence.
>>
File: S2e4_red_eye.png (638KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
S2e4_red_eye.png
638KB, 1280x720px
>>90705343
>He could have put Ford in a fake world with a fake Dipper like he did with Mabel that would've eventually tricked him into spilling secrets. Bill could've say there for years of Ford's life passing by, let fake Dipper grow up, and wait for the perfect moment to strike before making the world disappear and laughing in his face.

This is a great example of the kind of shit he should have done. Considering the extent of his powers everything he did in the finale was incredibly stupid and a lot of his actions made no sense it was just "because we want to make lol 90s jokes so he puts Mabel in 1990s Land because ????" or "we want to have an anime mecha fight parody now so here are some random minions we never mentioned before to get curbstomped like pussies."
>>
>>90705732
It's not that he went down, it's that his role drifted apart from what he was good for.

It was said in this very thread - he's a trickster. And also a symbol of knowledge. He was to tempt people and rape their minds, not unleash apocalypse and contrivedly lose.
>>
>>90705772
But that's the thing. He couldn't be a trickster anymore because he already played his trump card by seducing Dipper into making a deal with him and then wiping his ass with it. Dipper isn't going to accept any more deals from him, and since he and Ford are the only people who matter Bill is rendered useless outside of taking direct action.
>>
>>90705800
He could fade into obscurity, move on to act by proxy (He doesn't have to seduce Dipper, he can seduce some other townfolks and harass Dipper with their bodies), or Hirsch can come up with better plots for him to prey on characters' vices. This would require good writing though.
>>
>>90705844
More like another season.
>>
>>90705844
He could've posessed Mabel at some point
>>
>>90705867
No amount of time could save Hirsch from his shortcomings.
>>
>>90705872
There is nothing Bill could do with Mabel's body to hurt everyone else more than Mabel herself didn't do.
>>
>>90705895
He could've threatened to destroy her body unless Dipper does what he wants. After all, Dipper would probably trade the world for his sister
>>
>>90705134
Oooooooooooooooooooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhh
>>
>>90705908
What could Bill possibly want out of Dipper?
>>
>>90705934
The rift
>>
>>90705101
For a mystery show, a decent monster
For a trickster, an utterly insufficient character.
>>
>>90705749
It wouldn't be hard to make Bill a good villain though, I can't find it now but remember that comic that has Mabel waking up for her birthday party with Dipper telling her that their parents just told them they could BOTH stay in Gravity Falls, and she's so happy? Then at the end it fades out and she's still asleep in the middle of the woods while Dipper is crying and screaming and clawing at her bubble in vein. Better than the episode. There were a lot of comics like that.

>>90705934
I still think Bill should have needed something from all of the wheel characters, maybe to break into the real world or to break the barrier. Maybe in exchange for one of their wishes they consent in some way to let him through. He could play dirty by making illusions and making it unclear what they're agreeing to. It makes as much sense as those characters all being his weakness and it would give him something to do.

He needed to be way more active.
>>
File: Azula.png (96KB, 333x250px) Image search: [Google]
Azula.png
96KB, 333x250px
I actually do like Bill a lot and I know a lot of people here don't like Azula but I can't help but compare everything they did with Bill unfavorably to what they did with Azula as a villain.

Azula sometimes won, sometimes she won big, so when she showed up, there was a real threat. She did surprising things like shooting Aang in the middle of his transformation sequence, avoiding a typical dumb cartoon villain move. When her sanity unraveled at the end allowing her to be beaten it was a logical consequence of everything that had come before with the character. Plus, she was still threatening even then.
>>
>>90706118
I like Azula
>>
>>90706155
Me too but inb4 Scrapper.
>>
>>90706338
those faggots that keep saying that have outlived his stay here.
>>
>>90705101
Bill was a dick
>>
Did doublepines delete all there artwork?
>>
>>90708336
They brought it back
>>
>>90705101
For trickster spirit he was awesome.
>>
>tfw Bill only canonically posessed male characters.
>>
>>90710787
None of the female characters had anything of value for him. What could mabel or wendy possibly offer him that cannot be offered through manipulation which is more fun.
>>
He was all-around bad. Not funny, not charismatic, not creepy or menacing, not even enjoyable in any way.
>inb4 muh deer teeth, muh "torture" that was slapstick at best
>>
>>90705134
didn't you mean the opposite?
>>
I wish they didn't ruin him in the last episodes, it's a damn shame.
>>
>>90705343
>He didn't view them as playthings.
he didn't view them as serious threat either tho
>>
>>90705101
He was great until the finale. Pretty funny and mysterious at the same time, and he seemed much more evil and powerful than what he was letting on. The triangle body seemed like a facade for a monstruous and uncomprehensible thing. The Q and A on reddit and the clues and cameos scattered through the series also made him more interesting and threatening. But in the end his motivations were vague and petty, his weirdness from the Q and A was barely in the show, he never spreaded beyond gravity falls or did anything truly horrific, the wheel reveal was underwhelming and he had to be turned into a retard because he was too OP to be defeated.
>>
>>90705393
The sphere where Mabel was trapped was supposed to imprison everyone.

Bill imprisoned Mabel because he knew that "the rest of the pack" would try to free her (thus why he gave Gideon the key instead of keeping it to himself) and be charmed by the mabeland and stay in the illusion forever. Bill said something along the lines of "it takes a will of titanium to break free"
>>
>>90705101
Judging by what Alex said about him, he could be more developed as a character. Not just a chaotic evil guy who messes with everything for shits and giggles, but a tragic charactec, a creature who spent all his life in 2D world and breaking into 3D for the first time influenced his mind irreperably. He was also supposed to accidentally destroy his homeland, if the 3rd Journal is to be believed.
He said a couple of lines about it in WM part 3, but that was never really given much attention.
So he was entertaining, but somewhat of a wasted potential.
>>
Like most long form villains the build up was good but he missed the landing
>>
In the finale they went completely overboard with the lel so randum element of his personality.
It would play a lot nicer if he was more benign to be honest.

His twisted motives made him interesting and he seemed more invested into causing psychical terror rather than physical (he was very unfamiliar with the concept of physical suffering as evidenced in the sockpuppet episode).
>>
>>90705101
[Well, they did want to make the real bad guy a creature of unimaginable horror and had like 50 thousand screaming faces, but we couldn't get it past the censors]
>>
>>90710960
>Not funny, not charismatic, not creepy or menacing
who was tho
>>
>>90708336
>>90710529
http://doublepines.tumblr.com/

Looks deleted to me.
>>
Weirdmageddon part 2 was a terrible episode.
>>
>>90711398
>the name's @in-your-face-elizabeth now
they just moved urls.
>>
He had Dipper, Mabel, Gideon, and Pacifica all in positions where he could've easily killed them at various parts of the finale, but he didn't, even though they were keys to what he thought was his only weakness.
>>
>>90710810
Holding their bodies hostage to get useful people to do what he wants
>>
>>90711246
No one on that show, for sure.
>>
>>90705101
Bad
>>
>>90711679
Mark Hammill
>>
>>90705519
Let's not forget he basically had the power to do ANYTHING yet still managed to fucking lose.
>>
>>90712046
Have you heard him lately?
I like his old work, but he's a has-been.
>>
>>90711017
This made him come off as stupid frankly since they'd beaten him twice before and the finale did away with fans' theories he'd just let them win and was just toying with him. Oh yeah, and the characters were his one weakness who were prophecized to defeat him and he knew about that prophecy and even clued them into that by referring to the symbols in the wheel in one of the books what the fuck. Actually why didn't any other character notice that either.

You can say "muh overconfidence," that's okay and it's not that it makes no sense it just makes the villain come off shitty. A villain who just shoots anyone who might even be a threat however unlikely is much scarier than one that says "and I'm not even going to bother to kill you Mr. Bond blah blah" especially when they already handed him his ass twice then with what turns out to be zero sacrifices or even lasting effects they pretty easily fucking kill him. If he'd won a few times and had contigency plans his dismissing the characters as threats might be okay (but still already knocks him down a few pegs) but as of Weirdmageddon II he was scrambling. Also consider how he doesn't even think to zap Ford until dumb luck saves him from getting beaten right off the bat by Ford's gun. Him not being proactive seemed lame and less threatening in the finale for the most part.
>>
>>90710960
I thought he was all those things just that his role as villain in the last three eps sucked.

>>90711097

The Flatlandish backstory and the little bit of backstory that comes across in the tie in books about feeling guilty about whatever he did in his home dimension and maybe seeing himself as some kind of revolutionary with freedom loving ideals makes him seem like a much more interesting character than the end of the show did.
>>
A lot of people seemed to be disappointed by his motivations saying things like "Oh, he just wants hell on earth", but why? What exactly were people expecting from an interdimensional trickster?

Was it just poor execution, or maybe our imaginations got the better of us and set our expectations way too high? Like, as a writing exercise sometimes I try to come up with better motivations. Either they'd be too fitting for his character as some weird eldritch being and therefor beyond our understanding and comprehension (in which case, you probably can't even portray them so why bother), or they're more mundane than what we ended up with
>>
>>90705800
That's easy, he could have tricked the other characters who didn't know about him or possessed bodies to trick people like he eventually did with Mabel. He really should have been in a few more episodes where he had victories and they shouldn't have walked back the apocalypse. In the end of DaMvtF he's a great villain then in EfR the stakes come crashing down and he sits around doing literally nothing for days. I get it's a comedy but compare the last few minute of vs. the Future to that. The biggest reason is probably he's so OP that he has to be dumb and passive now.
>>
>>90712872
I think people did set their expectations too high after all the build-up but anything but "taking over the world Pinky" would have seemed less generic. Maybe he's serious about some misguided ideals like he seems in Journal 3 at times and there's some kernel of truth other characters can agree with. Maybe the apocalypse is just weirder and more alien than a few goofy looking monster running around trying to eat people and drinking punch. Weirdmageddon wasn't even the strangest or creepiest thing we've seen on the show. I mean the Mindscape in Stan's head in Dreamscapers was Silent Hill when they first showed it, just make it like that with characters' worst fears and fondest hopes walking around, time dilation and the characters not knowing what's real or not, that's more threatening anyway.

I also wouldn't have minded them trying to do a Lovecraftian kid's show ep and making Bill's real motives inscrutable, which could be handled I guess like every other Lovecraftian story, but that might be a tall order so simply some of the few tweaks mentioned in this thread would be enough really.

It's not as bad as people are making out though /co/ is just too down on the show. Doesn't mean it couldn't be improved though.
>>
>>90705134
What? Are you saying he felt a little flat?
>>
>>90712562
>did away with fans' theories
that's always a good thing because more fags crying over their headcanon shit getting shattered is gold
>>
>>90713691
I'm saying that his pyramid scheme would've worked better if he were to try a different angle.
>>
>>90713736
not really because fans didn't have any specific headcanons in this case just "he has a good plan and is smart." if those expectations are replaced with something worse it's eh

>ooh fans expected a good thing and it was shitty instead haha
>>
File: large.jpg (134KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
large.jpg
134KB, 500x667px
>>90705101
Bil''s true purpose was to sell merchandise and line obsessive fangirls' bedrooms with merchandise and in that he succeeded so I guess it's like asking whether Hello Kitty did well. Now buy the damn Bill Cipher plush, Funko Pop, and collectible figurines.
>>
>>90705519
This exactly

He had a good thing going for him until the end where it went to shit
>>
>>90713846
>he has a good plan
>Disney cartoon
>villain has a good plan
>Disney
>villain had a good plan
>Disney
>villain has a good plan
>Disney
>good plan
pick one
>>
>>90714567
I don't know, Toffee seems like he has a good plan
>>
>>90714673
>Star
>good
>>
>>90714709
Correct, Star is good
>>
File: 865845.jpg (133KB, 410x1280px) Image search: [Google]
865845.jpg
133KB, 410x1280px
This cut joke was better than any of the Bill jokes in the finale.
>>
File: BESTVILEN.png (87KB, 614x714px) Image search: [Google]
BESTVILEN.png
87KB, 614x714px
people from YT comments like him so all of your complaints are invalid you nerd cucks
>>
>>90705101
He should have been more like Pennywise, but he was more like the Great Gazoo.
>>
>>90715887
Post all the comments by women that talk about fapping to Bill and wanting Bill to fuck them hard.

If fangirl hormones are the judge Bill is the greatest villain ever.

No other character that's just a shape pulls quite that much tail although okay there are some others that get pretty close but Bill is the gold standard.
>>
>>90705519
I've never seen a villain who worked so well in obscurity compared to being in the spotlight. Bill needed that mystery to sustain his character; with that gone he became boring.
Honestly, they should have made him some sort of cosmic agent that is working for the thing that is trying to access Earth, but having him being ambiguous over his interests all through the series till the very end, sometimes helping the humans and some other times working against them.
>>
>>90705393
Because he actually liked Mabel apparently.
>>
>>90712872
Really the problem was that it wasn't his only motivation they just apparently didn't make the rest of it obvious enough for most people.
Really his core goal was true freedom, he saw himself as a liberator and was trying to escape the nightmare realm for his own survival.
>>
>>90711037
>his weirdness from the Q and A was barely in the show
Bill's comments from the AMA and in the books are much more fun than Weirdmageddon, like when he tells his fans to take LSD and run out into the desert tripping balls or rants about how democracy is a sham because it's really an oligarchy of the wealthy in the guide book, I guess you can't do those things on a show for children but the sanitized version is a lot less amusing.
>>
Great villan that was held back by the fact that he really didn't so anything menacing.

He gives somewhat of an Aku vibe in the sense that he's really powerfull yet mischevious and just an asshole, the thing is that Aku actually killed a shitload of people, enslaved species and tortured many, Bill just kida turned people into stone.
>>
>>90719446
Yeah I don't think Disney would be cool with a character telling children that their only purpose in life is to fuck.
>>
I honestly thought he was going to be a the servant to an even larger villain, maybe Gideon. When I realized he really was the main villain I thought it was an overall bad choice, mostly on how it was handled. We never see his influence on the world, he barely actually appeared, when he did appear he lost like any other monster of the week and he wasn't that threatening.

He's a good minion but an awful villain if that makes any sense.
>>
>>90719510
I guess not, or telling them he's seen them naked and swearing while he complains about cinnamon toast crunch, or making jokes about Schrödinger killing their pets and telling people his hobbies include "planting predictive programming of false flag attacks in the media" or even making Ford's eyes bleed from their sockets like he does in Journal 3 or pretty much anything else from all the extra material with Bill.
>>
I think overusing him as the villain of the week made him lose too much credibility to be the final boss.
>>
>>90719751
>I think overusing him as the villain of the week
He only appeared twice.
>>
>>90705522
He jobbed pretty badly too in his other major appearances.
>>
It was clear that they started making shit up as they went along and had to cut a lot of scenes and backstory due to the change in scheduling, no s3, no movie, etc...

They even cut what would have been Bill's best scene I think.

https://youtu.be/vq5sZPPF9ao

The ending felt extremely abrupt and underwhelming. Bill's grand master-plan was to throw a party? Ok...
>>
>>90719751

I think he was in it too little but he needed victories at least partial victories to stay credible. The first one seemed to do that but in retrospect doesn't make too much sense because the characters he lets off the hook get in his way in the short run and his idea to trick Mabel doesn't come up until much later plus he only even needs to trick Mabel because Mabel gets the unicorn hair. In that long run it would have made sense to kill Soos, Dipper, and Mabel in his first appearance instead of whatever the fuck that thing at the end was, a distraught Stan probably still would have opened the portal and maybe even been more determined to in his grief and that was his whole plan.

Actually I'm going to rant about this now. Bill made so many fucking stupid moves in retrospect once his deal was revealed. When Fiddleford tells Ford the portal is dangerous, Ford comes and asks Bill what's up and Bill says,"It is dangerous, what I told you was bullshit, and you're a fucking moron" although he still needed Ford at that time. Why insult him and then confess your whole Evil Plan, why not make up some crap about Fiddleford being too weak to appreciate innovation and vision or some shit, Ford had been swallowing his shit so far. Then Bill does absolutely nothing to get the portal reassembled be it manipulating others in town or even trying Stan himself, I know Stan isn't as easily tricked but Bill does nothing until some meddling kids show up who might blow his cover. It was dissapointing because before the finale people rationalized that he was pulling some complicated gambit instead he's just incompetent I guess probably because they couldn't beat him if he wasn't. Unless the implication was he just doesn't give much of a shit and is just fucking around but doesn't care about his plans but that didn't come across.
>>
>>90720164
I think in the journal it mentioned that after the portal opened Ford started hearing voices from the nightmare realm and overheard Bill talking about it.
>>
>>90719944
>get Lemon Demon to make a nerd song/Disney villain song for your nerd Disney show
>never use it
>>
>>90714673
Let's wait until the show ends to actually judge him as a villain.
>>
>>90720278
A lack of any effort at spin from a Satan archetype is still very disappointing. There's lots he could have said, that the portal was affecting Ford's mind as a side effect, that Bill's actions were still needed or justified somehow. Instead he says "Looks like Brainiac finally got smart!" yeah confirm his suspicions while insulting his most valued feature at the same time you can't burn a bridge any quicker Bill.

I mean the real deal is this is just a cartoon and Bill is a cartoon character in a comedy kids' show but this is /co/ so we bitch about these things.
>>
>>90720332
Disney doesn't give a shit about some internet-famous band. The GF crew/Hirsch probably took a demo because Neil's sister worked on the show.
Also you couldn't do the Bill voice and sing, and still sound good.
>>
>>90719265
Then why was she the one he was going to kill during the finale
>>
>>90720610
Gotta put the dog down if it keeps biting. He gave her a chance just like he gave Ford a chance.
>>
File: dokidoki.jpg (26KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
dokidoki.jpg
26KB, 400x400px
>>90720610
It should be obvious to you gaijin that Biru-chan's real plan was to steal Mabel from Gideon but then it became obvious that she would never love him so he tried to kill her in a jealous rage.
>>
>>90719944
This was nice. I found it so fucking weird Bill's minions all got names, introductions, were in the god damn opening sequence, and never did anything at all.
>>
>>90720610
It would probably get to the other three more than if he had killed Dipper.
>>
>>90720752
They didn't have enough screen time to even have a collective personality, let alone individual ones.
>>
File: giffany_by_bishakalaka-d9knb3u.gif (2MB, 650x750px) Image search: [Google]
giffany_by_bishakalaka-d9knb3u.gif
2MB, 650x750px
>>90720752
>Bill's minions all got names, introductions, were in the god damn opening sequence,

That's why they should have brought Giffany and the other MotW back as his minions like the initial plan instead, there just wasn't enough time to establish a bunch of new characters then even very minor characters. They could have briefly explained Bill offered them whatever they wanted in the new world in exchange for their help.
>>
>>90720886
Other than Giffany and the Shapeshifter, what other qualifying MotWs were there?
>>
>>90720610
Stan's one mistake was not waiting a few seconds.
>>
If Bill loves seeing humans suffer so much, why put Mabel in a bubble where she can get everything she wants with no strings attached if she stays?
>>
>>90705101

He was too powerful and stupid to be taken seriously
>>
>>90720906
Really anyone could be brought back thanks to Bill's reality warping. So any monster could show up. Those would be the most hype ones though. When the Shapeshifter warned Dipper about what he was getting into I thought he was an agent of Bill who knew what was coming.
>>
>>90720987
Kinda weird that he was defeated in a very non-permanent way only to never be seen or brought up again aside from a flashback cameo.
>>
>>90720958
Because I said so, that's why.
>>
>>90720958
She was a bargaining chip for Gideon.
>>
File: game.jpg (41KB, 500x336px) Image search: [Google]
game.jpg
41KB, 500x336px
>>90705101
He fell into the trap that several other "unimaginably horrible" villains have fallen into: If they actually get loose or summoned, then you have to show what they're capable of, making them no longer unimaginably horrible.

He was magnificent from behind the dimensional barrier, but he never should have made it to our plane.
>>
>>90721047
And why did he need Gideon, other than to guard Mabel's bubble? What use could a fat little bastard like him be?
>>
>>90721047
>Bill made the Bubble to get Gideon's loyalty so that he would protect Mabel's Bubble from Dipper for Bill and be Protector of the Bubble...wait

The best theory is that it was a trap for the symbol characters but that's not actually clear and also what a shitty fucking trap

Maybe with a movie or extra season or both things would have made more sense
>>
File: IMG_7803.gif (612KB, 586x247px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7803.gif
612KB, 586x247px
>>90705134
>no Carlos.jpg

You only had one job.
>>
>>90721108
Really the only reason I can think of is that he was going easy on Mabel for helping him start the apocalypse.

It's possible he could've used it to guilt trip Mabel that she had the time of her life while her friends and family suffered because of her, but he never brought up Mabel's involvement in Weirdmageddon
>>
File: bill cipher.jpg (48KB, 538x810px) Image search: [Google]
bill cipher.jpg
48KB, 538x810px
>>90721060
>He was magnificent from behind the dimensional barrier
Probably, Bill having no physical form but more appearances would force him to be clever to enact anything, once he's omnipotent you need to figure out how some old guys and kids are going to kick his ass in four episodes. And the only answer when villians get to that Power level is usally "they keep doing really stupid shit."
>>
>>90721140
>Really the only reason I can think of is that he was going easy on Mabel for helping him start the apocalypse.
I really don't feel like they were thinking through his motives that much at that point he was a backdrop threat and MacGuffin. The bits from the other materials about his big epic backstory didn't really make it onto the show either so he did things just because.
>>
There was no reason for him to even keep Mabel alive, let alone safe and happy

Man, Escape From Reality was such a shit episode.
>>
File: carl-b.jpg (27KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
carl-b.jpg
27KB, 400x300px
>>90721182
Exactly. He snapped his fingers and arranged all the holes in Pacifica's dad's face because he was bored, but he had to crawl like a grumpy infant to fail to catch two children?

I'll take my devious, mysterious multidimensional demon from a distance, thanks
>>
>>90721222
It was also probably not the best idea to resolve the protagonist's character arc when they still had 45 minutes of runtime left.
>>
>>90712872
>maybe our imaginations got the better of us and set our expectations way too high?

true

it didn't help that you had years of hiatuses and MUH LORE with teasing, fans made edgy guro art and fanfics of him murdering billions of people and making the cast his sex slaves, then the finale comes and he just wants to have a lightswitch rave in his mom's basement and doesn't even hurt anybody seriously (they even mention that all the time cops it looked like he killed were just holograms and he didn't hurt or damage anything)

but well it is a show for little kids
>>
>>90705101
He didn't measure up
>>
>>90714567
Gargoyles. Legend of Tarzan. Star Vs. Motorcity. They've had shows with villains who had good plans. It's just that 90% of their output were comical villains like in Aladdin or Dave the Barbarian. Doesn't mean they're incapable of having one, it just means they were focused mostly on comedy.

But Gravity Falls clearly wanted to have a villain be threatening and being on Disney did not prevent them from doing that. It's Alex's fault he wrote him stupid.
>>
>>90705134
Correct
>>
>>90705101
He did well at performing the most evil act of them all.
Making girls want to fuck geometry.
>>
File: S2e20_Ford_chained.png (1MB, 1366x768px) Image search: [Google]
S2e20_Ford_chained.png
1MB, 1366x768px
>>90705101
Season 2B had lots of problems and Bill's endgame was just one ball they dropped.

On the plus side though the Billford bondage scene was hot.
>>
File: snap.gif (1MB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
snap.gif
1MB, 640x360px
>>90705134
He wasn't always a bad villain. This ending was very good. I'd say it was halfway through Weirdmageddon Part 1 where he started to go downhill. Until then people including /co/ and /gfg/ were mostly very hype for Bill. Also when the momentum stalled on him doing anything. Definitely by Escape from Reality.
>>
File: ttte.png (192KB, 499x492px) Image search: [Google]
ttte.png
192KB, 499x492px
>>90724447
I like the idea that Blendin had those eyelashes all a long and that's why we never saw his eyes.
>>
>>90705134
I guess he didn't have an eye for villainy.
>>
>>90727244
Carlos go kill yourself
>>
File: 20358.png (138KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
20358.png
138KB, 350x350px
>>90728800
>>90721811
>>90705134
>>90713691
>>90713842

GOD FUCKING DAMMIT CARLOS
>>
>>90723142
>He did well at performing the most evil act of them all.
>Making girls want to fuck geometry.

Bill's international Sex Symbol status, the copious Bill porn, and all the crazy Bill shipping drama were all much more interesting and human stories than the one the show wound up telling with him in the end.
>>
>>90729582
Carlos is the true villain
>>
File: 5.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
5.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
Maybe Bill is a way to get girls more interested in math.
>>
>>90705101
bill is a very problematic character that triggers a lot of ppl and supports rape and abuse culture and the patriarchy

http://rip-pinecest.tumblr.com/post/143811555876/incest-abuse-and-pedophilia-are-gross-ilegal
>>
>>90706118

Except Azula was never the villain. Bill was a monster, Azula was a little girl.
>>
>>90720610
Apparently that was decided by a twin popularity poll while the show was still airing.
>>
File: HIM.png (56KB, 214x307px) Image search: [Google]
HIM.png
56KB, 214x307px
>>90720480
That's what you get when you're trying to make a shitty David Lynch imitation
>>90721421
You don't need guro or rape to make your antagonist threatening, even in a kids' cartoon so it's a lame excuse.
Hell, The Beast or even Toffee were all good.
>>
>>90705101

Never watched the show but I'm just asking in passing. Is that a mouth or a bow tie?
>>
File: flatlandromance.png (32KB, 658x522px) Image search: [Google]
flatlandromance.png
32KB, 658x522px
>>90732698
Bill did nothing wrong, he was an oppressed soldier class (triangle) rebelling against a cruel and unjust social hierarchy that systematically murdered all nonconformists and anyone intelligent enough to discern the truth of reality and thus upset the idiotic and false "social order." Why should Bill and his family have gone to die in the priest circles' admittedly pointless wars when he could have seized his own power?

Of course, if you haven't read speculative fiction from the Victorian era about quantum physics and speculative mathematical dimensional theories I can't help you but why haven't you?
>>
>>90732698
>Bill was a monster
A inner-dimensional demon
>>
>>90732974

Something similar to Flatland as Bill's background is semi-canon. If you haven't read the novel you should anyway.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flatland
>>
>>90732974

Even worse.

>>90732941

You forget he took over Gravity Falls and made it his personal hell to reign over.
>>
>>90733024
>You forget he took over Gravity Falls and made it his personal hell to reign over.

The protagonist of Flatland is up for unjust execution when he discovers other dimensions and the truth, consider this:

Bill tries to liberate the oppressed and show them the truth and accidentally destroys his own dimension when he's only trying to help everyone and bring freedom, reason, and liberty.

He accidentally kills his own family and goes sort of crazy, trying to "liberate" other dimensions with the truth of reality like his own, and accidentally destroying them. He is very depressed about it, by tries to lie to himself about everything and tell himself he isn't. Becoming sad and nuts and all alone.

This is apparently Bill's canon backstory and it's kind of sad, don't you think?

You find out that everything you know is wrong and the lies have been used to treat you and your family like shit and send you to fight in pointless wars. When you try to tell everyone the truth, something goes wrong, and you accidentally kill your own family instead. That'd fuck you up big time, right? Just trying to share knowledge and the truth and it backfires. You'd go nuts.

That's what happened to Bill. He was only trying to help and he screwed himself over.
>>
>>90733214

Wow, I actually didn't know about this. I thought he was just being evil but now that you have explained it to me I can see he was just another poor soul consumed by circumstance. I apologize for my comments and retract my statement. Bill is just a good guy trying to right his wrongs.
>>
>>90733274
No it's not your fault it's the writers' fault for not working it into the show more which would have made Bill more interesting in the finale.
>>
>>90733214
I do wonder if they'll ever work something in to do with his possible future atonement.
>>
>>90719249
>I've never seen a villain who worked so well in obscurity compared to being in the spotlight.
see above >>90713736
this can be said for pretty much every villain whose prime motifs aren't revealed until a certain point, allowing the spergs to make up thousands of stupid headcanons that the show doesn't care about
>>
>>90720906
The Probabilitor
Wax Sherlock Holmes maybe
The candy monster could've gotten re-assembled by Bill
>>
>>90721239
>but he had to crawl like a grumpy infant to fail to catch two children?
Well I mean he did catch them
>>
>>90736965
I don't remember anyone having any specific theories or headcanons about what Bill's plan was. I do think almost anytime you have some big mystery stretched out over years and years there's a good chance it will be a letdown when it's finally revealed. Even if you don't have any specific theory in mind there's some sense it's going to be mindblowing or retroactively change your understanding of the show or something. In this case the Twin Theory reveal worked well and was satisfying and that was the show's only mystery element that really panned out. Twin Peaks and LOST had similar problems.

Bill's plan being the typical Saturday morning cartoon bad guy bit might not have been an issue so much as its execution. He was mostly passive and reactive in the last few episodes. The show was fine anyway it just means that there wasn't a ton of tension in those episodes or moments when the fans talk about how clever something Bill did was as with the villains in Gargoyles.
>>
>>90737110
Those first two are probably the two most forgettable MotWs in the whole series
>>
>>90737132
After several minutes
>>
>>90723142
>Making girls want to fuck geometry

More like, for some crazy fucking reason, made a triangle and dipper the most popular pairing for the show.
>>
>>90705519
/thread
Thread posts: 168
Thread images: 29

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.