[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

underused superpowers in fiction.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 6

File: img-02.jpg (18KB, 702x397px) Image search: [Google]
img-02.jpg
18KB, 702x397px
If you worked for image, valiant, boom, idw, or any other comic company outside the big two and had to create a hero or villain with a power that the company didn't have many of what would it be?

Pic related I think magneto style powers where you can only control one thing are awesome and I think someone who could only control plastic would have to get really creative and could be super fun.
>>
>>90586250
When I was a kid I made up an OC that could make his bones grow into weapons and come out of his body and whatnot, sort of like T2, Wolverine and a porcupine mixed together but then I fucking watched Naruto and found out they'd already done that with that Kimimaro guy.

Seriously, every super power I'd created as a kid whenever I'd stupendously managed to come up with a character that somehow didn't have a super power already done by DC/Marvel, would be in fucking Naruto. Every fucking time.
>>
Something that boosts the natural level of ability, Like a literal mary sue plot device, But weaker and only doubles someone's usefulness.

It probably already exists anyway.
>>
>>90586399
So you made the main villain from Time Force?
>>
File: MiniDress.jpg (51KB, 403x639px) Image search: [Google]
MiniDress.jpg
51KB, 403x639px
>>90586250
I'd like a chick who could do this.

http://powerlisting.wikia.com/wiki/Latex_Manipulation
>>
>>90586399
>>90586576
That's also an X-man, Marrow or Spyke I think.
On a tangent, has there ever been a group of mutants whose powers all have some biological basis (albeit exaggerated), as opposed to psychic or elemental powers?
>>
>>90586250
A power where you are able to channel the power of the sun. Any heat-conducting materials can be super-heated, any living plant life can overclock on their growth, any villains weak to heat or sunshine, such as vampires for example, will be incinerated or exposed to massive amounts of sunlight.

Conditions and caveats are that you need to sunbathe at least a whole week to be able to use the powers for the whole day, or at least a 7 to 1 input/output. You also need to be able to have a fit body as proper breathing is a must to properly control the power to a certain wavelength so working out is a must. Sunscreen of a specific SPF value will also negate the power's output and be the bane of the superhero, sunglasses as well.

I would call it "The Sunshine Special".
>>
>>90586790
Is this a Jojo reference?
>>
File: Midnighter-scan020.jpg (691KB, 1280x1960px) Image search: [Google]
Midnighter-scan020.jpg
691KB, 1280x1960px
>>90586576
>>90586694
RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE STOP STEALING MY IDEAS BEFORE I THINK OF THEM RRRRRREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
>>
>>90586399
>Seriously, every super power I'd created as a kid whenever I'd stupendously managed to come up with a character that somehow didn't have a super power already done by DC/Marvel, would be in fucking Naruto. Every fucking time.

Not necessarily Naruto, but anime in general, yeah. The japs are crazy, so they have no problem with coming with crazy superpowers. Boku no Hero has one of it's top tier heroes be a guy who controls clothing fibers.

>>90586250
I don't remember, but I'm pretty sure you could find someone with the power to control plastic in Law of Ueki, Zatch Bell or JoJo
>>
Has there ever been a hero/villain whos got an incredibly lame power but figured a way to exploit it to do all sorts of crazy shit?
>>
>>90586250
Someone who can manipulate energy by changing it's energy type, i.e; changing the kinetic energy of an incoming punch into potential energy, turning light energy into pure thermal energy, etc.
>>
>>90586250
A supervillain who is able to turn kid games into reality, but only when there are kids nearby who are willing to play these kid games. Kids also are unaware that the adults engaged in these activities are in a life/death struggle.

Example: The Floor is Lava turns the floor into Lava for everyone nearby except for the kids involved. Rock, Paper, Scissors turns into a game of getting bashed/suffocated/or cut. Duck, Duck, Goose has the adult who wasn't able to catch the initial It person slowly transformed into a Goose, Freeze Tag literally turning the person into a block of solid ice slowly in Ice-9 fashion, etc.

>>90587060
Hisoka. It's been a while since I last read Hunter x Hunter so I'll need a refresher on how his powers work, but he struck me as being one who was able to use what seemed to be a lame power into something OP as hell.
>>
>>90587193
Beach did yours to an extent
>>
>>90586250
Probably focus on electricity powers, but try to put a new spin on it. Like, it's actually static created from energy manipulation, and at high enough levels it would start to seriously injure the user.
>>
>>90586250
There are not enough zodiac themed powers, so I would have a team of 12 characters who are named after an astrological sign and have 1 power based on alchemist processes,

Calcination (Aries)
Congelation (Taurus)
Fixation (Gemini)
Dissolution (Cancer)
Digestion (Leo)
Distillation (Virgo)
Sublimation (Libra)
Separation (Scorpio)
Incineration (Sagittarius)
Fermentation (Capricorn)
Multiplication (Aquarius)
Projection (Pisces)
>>
>>90587060
Thats the whole point of JoJo nigga.
Lots of characters get seemingly lame or useless stand abilities that through clever usage become absolutely deadly.
>>
>>90587800
Cancer being hardening would make much more sense considering it was named after hard cancer lumbs that resembled a tough crab shell
>>
>>90587800
Trying to think of a Scorpio power seeing as Aquarius could have the obvious self-duplication
>>
>>90586694
Toad?
>>
>>90586790
Literally captain sunshine from venture bros
>>
I had an idea about a metahuman that possesses a field inside which everything is mundane. That is no superpowers work. Magic doesn't exist. Laws of physics are oppressively obeyed. Impossible technology fails to turn on.
The field's strength can be amplified, so that even incredible strokes of luck are impossible and every probability starts converging towards the middle of the bell curve.
Under extreme circumstances the field can be turned to eleven, which reveals that the reality itself is a holographic illusion and beneath it is only darkness inhabited by eldricht abominations .
>>
>>90586250
Person who can control fossil fuels including coal, oil, gas, and plastic would be better. No organic matter more complex than that, but give him no further powers either.

I think he'd be interesting in a fight.
>>
>>90591012
>inhabited by eldricht abominations
That's a funny way of saying "comic book writers" but not entirely false.
>>
>>90591335
To 2D comic book superhero a 3D being would be like a lovecraftian Outer God.
>>
>>90590543
Are you kidding? A power to separate objects into their base materials is so useful, you almost always have to set hard limits, like only touch-range and no breaking molecules.
>>
File: ChocolateDiscocolor.png (2MB, 844x844px) Image search: [Google]
ChocolateDiscocolor.png
2MB, 844x844px
>>90586250
I'm not good at coming up with underused powers, I usually try to think of powers and then add arbitrary limitations and then find ways around those limitations.
Like I made a psychic character who only has the ability to mess with memories. Specifically inject memories into people's heads.
I usually try to think of that when making up STANDs like an autist
>>
>>90591012
So kinda of like that guy from A Certain Magical Index? His hand nullifies magic/espers, but instead of stuff going towards the center of the bell curve, he has bad luck.
>>
>>90592180
CHO-KO-LE-I-TO-DIS-KO
CHO-KO-LE-I-TO-DIS-KO
CHO-KO-LE-I-TO-DIS-KO
CHO-KO-LE-I-TO-DI-SU-KO
>>
File: Captain_Atom_Earth_4_0001.jpg (313KB, 906x718px) Image search: [Google]
Captain_Atom_Earth_4_0001.jpg
313KB, 906x718px
>>90591012
>>90591466
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.