[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

X-23 IS Wolverine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 10

File: All-New_Wolverine.jpg (169KB, 300x455px) Image search: [Google]
All-New_Wolverine.jpg
169KB, 300x455px
Well, is she right?

>It’s common for an established hero to pass their mantle to a younger character, such as Carol Danvers and Kamala Khan, Thor and Thor, or Steve Rogers and Sam Wilson. Now, this prototypical male favorite hero’s yellow and blue costume is worn by a strong woman. (Well, probably not the exact same costume; I’m sure a tailor made a few alterations.) The majority of fans seemed relatively okay with it when Thor took over for… Thor, so why would some males grow defensive and angry regarding Wolverine? Is it because they loved Logan so much that the idea of his costume worn by anyone (in books that they’re clearly not reading) is reprehensible? Or is it because Logan was a pillar of testosterone and Laura’s a girl? I wonder if the transition makes some men feel betrayed or like they’ve lost some of their standing.

Sauce: http://www.cbr.com/x-23-is-wolverine/
>>
The costume looks dumb, even more so on a woman. I say this as someone who faps to rule 63 regularly.
>>
X-23 being the new Wolverine is the most sensible shit you can do BECAUSE the characters had development beforehand. Jubilee can't do it. Loeb's monstrosities are irrelevant. Who the fuck do you expect to take his mantle, Marrow?

It's completely different from giving some thot the mantle of Thor Odinson because he's a fucking person, not a title.
>>
>>90549176
I don't think anyone liked Whor
>>
File: 1486075982011.png (88KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
1486075982011.png
88KB, 210x240px
I will say that the costume doesn't look nearly as bad on her I thought when I heard about it.

However, the problem with Laura taking over for Logan is that it runs counter to her character. Like, wasn't her thing that she was cloned to be a killing machine like Logan but struck out to be her own person?

Also, Jesus Christ, can these sites simply not process the notion that these passing-of-the-mantle moves aren't universally well-received due to the poor execution and writing of said moves?
>>
>>90549332
How retarded are you? No one has to be the 'new Wolverine'. She needs to be her own character instead of 'female Wolverine with female analogues of Wolverine's rogue gallery'. There is no way to write this shitshow of a book well.
>>
I don't think that's it. Of all the recent Marvel legacies this is one of the ones that makes the most sense on paper (passing from parent to child), but conceptually I don't see what Laura really gets out of it. Perhaps it is like Dickbats where they directly tackle the fact that it doesn't suit her at first glance, but people have reason to be hesitant to buy in.
>>
>>90549176
>majority of fans seemed relatively okay with it when Thor took over for… Thor, so why would some males grow defensive and angry regarding Wolverine?
Funny enough, I've only seen the opposite.

The mantle passing to Laura is a natural progression. Does anyone really care?
>>
>>90549354
This, especially this..
>Laura taking over for Logan is that it runs counter to her character. Like, wasn't her thing that she was cloned to be a killing machine like Logan but struck out to be her own person?
>>
>>90549176
I dont understand why X23 needs or wants the Wolverine mantle. Just because shes a clone of Logan doesnt mean she needs to be exactly like him in every way. Logan even pointed out she doesnt need to kill like he does. We all know why she really took it, BRANDING
>>
No, she doesn't. Why would Laura seek to define herself as "the female Wolverine" when she's spent most of her life trying to be her own person and more than just a clone of Wolverine?
>>
File: 2900863-mettle[1].png (1MB, 657x1004px) Image search: [Google]
2900863-mettle[1].png
1MB, 657x1004px
I have no problem with X-23 taking on the "mantle" of Wolverine. It seems like a logical conclusion to her entire character arc since Target X. However, I have a massive problem with Dennis Hopeless and how he writes X-23, and that's why I'm not buying it.

That and I'm broke.
>>
Laura didn't get vaunted as the Real Logan.
Sam didn't become Captain Rogers
Kamala didn't get a one-shot going through some of Carol's greatest hits proving how much better a drunk Kamala is.

And every legacy character has had to fight to prove itself, because the readers are invested in the already established character.
>>
>The majority of fans seemed relatively okay with it when Thor took over for… Thor

No, they really weren't.

The only people who liked it were the SJWs looking to spread their message but don't actually buy or read comics.
>>
>>90549464
>>90549176

Many Laura fans hate the passing of the mantle of Wolverine because we like Laura as herself, and becoming Wolverine only taints the character's progression. Those of us who hate it don't hate it out of some retarded loyalty to the male Wolverine. Fans of Wolverine have better things to be pissed about, like all the bad retcons and his lame death. This idea that it's all male fans of Wolverine getting defensive because of gender is so fucking stupid. This is just feminists projecting their worldview on a fandom they are not a part of.
>>
>>90549176
This works because that outfit is iconic and cool, but it never seemed like something Logan would wear. Also, they built that character up over a few years and didn't just suddenly replace a decades old fan favorite with the Asian of the month.
>>
>>90549176
There's already a fucking thread about Laura/X-23/Wolverine.
>>
>>90549580
Pretty much this. The idea is fine, but the execution is so poorly done.
>>
>>90549694
There have been constant threads ever since the movie hit theaters.
>>
>>90549176
>Or is it because Logan was a pillar of testosterone and Laura’s a girl?

That's exactly why, yes. Logan was a ragey dude that yelled in anger and ran in to snikt some bubs. Laura was calculating and precise (most of the time, at least) and approached fights in an efficient manner. Logan was a brawler, Laura was an operator.

The problem is that when Laura was stuffed into her daddy's tights, most of that previous decade of characterization went out the window, and writers had her start basically started behaving the same way Logan did. And that's a disservice to the character.

I don't even know why I'm bothering to compose a rational response to this tumblrina shit. Bah.
>>
>>90549176
>Well, is she right?
No.
>>
>>90549919
In the issue currently being story timed we at least get competent tactician Laura back, even if the writing is craptastic.

But yeah, I think it's a good point that having a tactical character become Wolverine really doesn't work, especially since she's fixated on not killing where as Wolverine in his glory days when he was Logan was the wetworks guy who hated being told to hold back. It annoys the fuck out of me that the author of the book just goes straight to gender being the issue when the issue is clearly personality types. You can have female ragemonsters... Laura simply isn't the type, because she associates the rage with the trigger scent and loss of her humanity and identity which terrifies her. She's really more like Kyle Gibney back when he was Weapon Omega in the Alpha Flight series in that way, than being anything like Logan. I hope it doesn't turn out poorly for her as it did for him. If they want an macho ragemonster, they should start developing Daken more. With Sabretooth being a hero it makes more sense to go the Dark Wolverine rout. Let Laura go be Laura and find her own identity.
>>
>>90550268
>author of the book just goes straight to gender

I meant author of the article.
>>
>>90549580
i don't know the biggest thing about x-23/laura was that in her extended family she wasn't supposed to be like any of them. she was a soul searching vagabond assassin learning where she wanted to be in life. she didn't want to be dakan but she also wasn't opposed to killing people. she took after wolverine but she never wanted to be a version of him, she was always individualistic which is what made me like her as a kid. she only ever took immediately after wolverine in the apocalypse universe where she went with the full adamantium procedure and trained undr him and he was her birth father
>>
>Barbara Holm

Weird, is this the same Barbara Holm who did shit for the Competitive Erotic Fan Fiction podcast?
>>
File: 1484867889017.jpg (609KB, 1800x1341px) Image search: [Google]
1484867889017.jpg
609KB, 1800x1341px
>>90549176
>majority of fans seemed relatively okay with it when Thor took over for… Thor, so why would some males grow defensive and angry regarding Wolverine?

What. As other anons have said, its literally the complete opposite of that. Also as if Thor isn't a pretty "masculine" character himself.
From the reactions I've seen (including most anons here), Laura-Wolverine was received relatively well as a concept, since if anyone was going to take the title, she's the most obvious and not-evil established character to do it. It can in a sense be seen as a fitting continuation of his legacy, rather than a bizarre hijacking of it Like Jane-Thor

Most of the concerns the were centered Laura taking up the mantle and/or the way she behaves and speaks not quite being congruous for her character. The author of this piece overlooks that fans were being "defensive and angry" regarding X-23's character, not just Wolverine's
>pillar of testosterone

>>90549580
Hopeless is not writing her solo, Just the team-book, which of course should be avoided like a plague. The solo series is Tom Taylor Which I think does an adequate job of making it work for what it is. Not great, but adequate..
>>
>>90549673
this, I love wolverine and I love laura, but I always fewed them as a separate thing, her being shoved to the front of marvel as new step in wolverine was such a backstep for her character hell the way she handled his death was OC, Angel out of character as fuck as a relation ship , everything to do with ANX was just bad for her as a character. and I like her getting her own series again but its really just cloning blues and woo is me trigger scent and its such a toss off resolution that its just meh. which is just sad as a reader of all her stuff since 2008
>>
I wasnt okay with Thor 'handing over' the baton to Fem!Thor, and I am not 'okay' with Wolverine passing the title to X23.

Every character isnt a fucking title.

Thor was his NAME. If my name is "The Mighty John/Jose/Juan", someone following in my footsteps wont adopt my fucking name. He is Thor Odinson, and Marvel is being retarded.

Wolverine was Logan's codename from the Weapon X project. That was his. He earned it , through blood , and pain and horrible sacrifice.X23 is X23- she has her own fucking number and name, and legacy.I dont think Wolverine WANTED anybody to carry on his name.
>>
>>90550734

This right here. Though I would clarify and say that the Wolverine moniker is something that followed him his whole life organically as opposed to being a designation. Wolverine is Logan and Logan is Wolverine. The whole mantle trope doesn't work as well with a lot of Marvel characters where there is less of a duality to their character that is explored by their having an alter ego.
>>
What all you lovely anon said: Laura was built up, not springing from nowhere. There are arguments against it,but it's more like Dick bats than Ironsuck or Fem Thor.
>>
>>90549176
>Thor took over for Thor
Pretty sure Jane Foster took over for Thor unless some bullshit happened that I don't know about.
>The majority of fans seemed relatively okay with it.
I think this woman lives in an alternate reality.

I'd say the very idea of legacy characters seldom pans out.
The real problem is that giving the mantel of The Wolverine to X-23 is not because anyone had an interesting story to tell that involved that, it is purely done for no other reason than X-23 has a vagina and making The Wolverine female is "progressive".
She is just like every other Legacy character Marvel is pushing.
Either female, non-white or both.
No attempt was made at subterfuge.
This picture is Marvel.
>>
File: lRdde.jpg (44KB, 450x253px) Image search: [Google]
lRdde.jpg
44KB, 450x253px
>>90550734

Just playing DA here, but the hammer kinda makes one Thor. Donald Blake became Thor. Eric Masterson became Thor. The only thing that makes Jane different is that she's femThor.
>>
>>90551070
>>90549417
>>90549354
>>90549506
>>90549575
>>90549919

These are all such good points, why don't any of you post them on the actual article, presuming at least some of you have Facebook?
>>
>>90552481
Fuck Facebook.
>>
>>90549353
Did we ever find out why someone whispering something made him unworthy? Like... did Thor keep a secret from the hammer?
>>
>>90549176

>Wolverine represents toxic masculinity

Well, OP, if you were in the market for replies you could have picked a more bait worthy section.
>>
>>90552880
they're going to reveal it soon, most popular /co/ theory is that it's something like "Thor kills Jane Foster"
>>
The big problem I have is that X-23 is already a good, memorable name. Laura even had a pretty decent look going, with the black leather. I wouldn't have minding her adding colour to honour logan, but taking the mantle and costume seemed like overkill
>>
I don't care for it because Wolverine isn't a mantle that really warrants a legacy like a Batman or a Captain America, it's like having a new Gambit or a new Beast
>>
>>90549176
>>90549506
>>90549354
>>90549673
>>90549919
>>90550429
>>90553765

The original creator himself doesn't like the idea of Laura becoming Wolverine:
>http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/logan-x-23-movie-plot-idea-shared-by-comic-book-creator-984284

>What do you think of Laura taking on the role of Wolverine in the comics?
>I was happy when after the "Death of Wolverine" she was going to step into the role. That said, I never wanted her to put on Wolverine's costume and take his name, because she's not Wolverine. Wolverine is Wolverine and no one will ever be him. He is this extraordinary, beautiful, perfect thing. I don't want to take away from him and I don't want to strip her of her individuality. I love that she's taken that role. I just wish she could do it in her own costume, that's all.
>>
>>90549176
And the costume is shit.
>>
>>90549176
>Thor and Thor

I refuse to believe that the person who wrote this didn't see how stupid this is.
>>
>>90553861
Exactly, Logan is the wolverine because of what it means to him, not because of what it means to other people.
>>
>>90553034
How does that work? Thor kills Jane Foster, but she's Thor. So the Hammer found him unworthy because of a future event that may happen because the hammer found him unworthy?
>>
>>90549176
I really loved X-23, i thought she was a really interesting character with a good few backstory books. Her solo series that Liu wrote was decent and gave her some good development.

My issue is that they killed X-23. In her being Wolverine now that means she's pretty much no longer X-23, and that's a damn shame. I just wanted more X-23 not this bullshit.
>>
>>90549176
>Her worth as a character is lesser unless she tales over a role that was originally held by a man.

Gee, these people sound sexist.
>>
>>90549176
It's because Laura was a distinct character from Logan and forcing her into Wolverine's shoes devalues her character.
But no, people critisizing Marvel these days have to le patriarchy.
Fuck CBR, seriously.
>>
>>90549176
It's because Laura looks like shit in Logan's duds. Let her get her own costume.
>>
File: 1466192740322.jpg (411KB, 853x480px) Image search: [Google]
1466192740322.jpg
411KB, 853x480px
>>90549176
>taking the mantle of Wolverine
Is that why Old Man Logan is going to be in three X-books simultaneously while Laura is in none but her own ongoing?
>>
>>90554135
if that is the phrase, then the hammer found him unworthy not because of the future event, but because of what he felt and thought upon receiving the news

personally I subscribe to the theory that he said some ancient mumbo jumpo learned via watcher powers to liberate the primordial storm revealed to be the core of mjolnir, granting her the freedom and awareness decide who can wield it on her own.
that is to say, Fury allowed Molnir to decide 'no' even if someone who is worthy tries to lift it, for any reason it sees fit.
>>
>>90552205
The power OF Thor.
Not: shall be Thor
>>
>>90549176

This reminds of when Laura mentioned that dudes online were upset she was Wolverine and it made me wonder who the fuck in 616 cared about mutant codenames being inherited
>>
>>90556283
OML picking up where OGL left off
>>
I hate it because the point of the Mutant monnikers like Wolverine and Cyclops is them having a "mutant name" a name to identify themselves with. It's not a super hero alias. It's literally the name the chose or got due to their looks/actions.

Logan got Wolverine because he's a short hairy man with claws and severe anger issues.

It shits on both his AND Laura's own legacy. Whom I actually liked. She was her own character. Her powers are similar to Logan, but she was her own person.
>>
>>90553942
nailed it. i really hope Kyle and Yost are some of the writers Marvel is supposedly bringing back for this back to basics approach coming next year
>>
File: popcorn.gif (568KB, 200x136px) Image search: [Google]
popcorn.gif
568KB, 200x136px
>>90549176

>it's another "if you don't like it it's because you don't like girls, not because my shit writting" episode

I'll grab my popcorn.
>>
File: uy.png (189KB, 529x553px) Image search: [Google]
uy.png
189KB, 529x553px
I'll just fuel the fire a bit
>>
>>90556642
And this is why I don't go read the actual article. It's clickbait. The more people give this talentless cunt attention, the more she wins.
>>
I don't like the book because it's absolutely fucking boring in every way from writing to art and nothing but wasted potential.
How about that?
>>
>>90556642
Oh, so she was literally trolling? Man, CBR keeps digging for new lows.
>>
>>90556735
if /co/ and like minded peeps would learn to recognize and ignore clickbait in and around comics, all the things they hate would get waaay less exposure and many of their most hated characters would be literally who's that nobody talks about

boycott clickbait 2017. jerk off instead
>>
>>90549176
> so why would some males grow defensive and angry regarding Wolverine

i don't remember there being so much protest against anad wolverine.

the fact that it's actually not a terrible book might have something to do with it, although it is absolutely cliched as fuck and dripping with editorial mandate. it's relatively cute, has relatively nice art most of the time and surprisingly it's one of very few books that doesn't feel decompressed to hell, which is quite an achievement. it's an expensive book but each issue feels like 3 or 4 issues of a lesser book, plus it has interesting art so it actually feels worth it, which is surprising.

i just wish they would stop drawing her mask with wide set eyes when she clearly has a more typical feminine anatomy and doesn't actually have wide set eyes. the art is surprisingly decent when they aren't trying to be ugly and simply pasting wolverine's ugly mug onto her body.
>>
>>90557888 cont.

the other thing i have to say is that logan hasn't been written well since before they gave him a cliched origin and a punny name (jimmy james howlett... i'm surprised his middle name isnt 'wolfowitz' or 'barkley.' whose stupid idea was that again?)

i'm a long time wolverine fan and i couldn't care less what happens to him now. keep him dead, bring him back, i don't care. i'm not interested in reading any more character assassination from people who don't get his character, or his story, or who can't stand him because he's a 'problematic' masculine male, so they feel compelled to show him prostrating as often as they can. they even encased him in a prostrate position in adamantium. absolute fucks.

i'm not reading old man logan either. i don't appreciate how they're drawing him with teeny tiny claws and without his animal ears hairdo, although the loss of his healing powers does explain why his hair hasn't grown back into its usual mane. the little i have read seems uninteresting and trite.

my adoration for the old character has absolutely zero impact on my opinions for laura. fortunately, she is her own character and isn't just a mouthpiece of modern feministy ideology.
>>
>>90550734

>I dont think Wolverine WANTED anybody to carry on his name.

there was a moment early in the series where laura imagines wolverine talking to her and he is posing in this totally nonmasculine way. at first it annoyed me but then i thought, what if laura actually has a terrible idea of who wolverine actually is, and it is at least half his fault because he's such a standoffish cunt. it's actually kind of funny. her idea of him is him speaking with her voice.
>>
>>90549673
>just feminists projecting their worldview on a fandom they are not a part of.
boy doesnt that just sum up a LOT of things. in and out of comics
>>
It's a dumb argument.

Laura may be my favourite superhero, and I like her infinitely more than Logan, but she's a crap Wolverine. The costume looks shit (new one is a bit better) and you're striping an established character of their identity. This isn't like Kamala as the new Ms Marvel, Laura had a persona before this, making her "Wolverine but a girl" lessens her.
>>
Mutants don't have mantles
>>
>>90556867

>boycott clickbait 2017. jerk off instead

Truer words have never been spoken.
Thread posts: 68
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.