[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Early Reviews Savage Iron Fist

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 490
Thread images: 40

File: iron fist.jpg (11KB, 477x268px) Image search: [Google]
iron fist.jpg
11KB, 477x268px
https://www.comicbookmovie.com/tv/marvel/iron_fist/minor-spoilers-early-iron-fist-reviews-indicate-a-rough-a149477

I fucking knew it, I fucking called it. I mean, maybe it is bad, I haven't seen it but so far it looks like IF is getting shredded because not muh diversity issues.

Danny got shafted by being the follow up to JJ and LC because now all the netflix shows are expected to revolve around social issues. Fuck me.
>>
>>90529620

So angry I forgot some of the text

>The Verge: With any property that touches on the politics of the day, there really is a rush to judge its merits before it comes out, when patience might better serve the would-be critics. After all, Marvel has earned enough goodwill since Daredevil premiered in 2015 to hope that wrestling with its inherently problematic source material might give its latest series a charge, and make it current and relevant. The sad truth, however, is that Iron Fist is the weakest of Marvel’s Netflix series to date. As far as diversity, representation, and appropriation go, the series fails in a number of ways. But, over the course of its first six episodes, it also manages to fall short on basic levels like storytelling. Its creative laziness bankrupts the entire show. Marvel’s new series is a disappointing case study in studios needing to try harder to tell difficult stories well.

>Variety: Iron Fist is the most frustrating and ferociously boring example of Netflix Drift [pacing problems] in some time...It takes forever for anything to happen on Iron Fist, and as it stumbles along, the uninspired production design, unexceptional cinematography, and painful dialogue fail to distract the viewer from the overall lack of depth, detail, or momentum...Good luck, bingers: Getting through two episodes was a challenge.

MIC: ron Fist isn't a terrible show by any means; if it aired on the CW, it might have even felt like a revelation. But Netflix has earned high expectations for its superhero shows, ones that have been able to effectively tackle heavy topics like sexual assault. When it comes to The Defenders, Iron Fist just doesn't pack enough of a punch.
>>
>>90529620
>implying that being a rich hipster isn't a social issue
>>
>>90529620
>CNET: As the last member to join the roster of Netflix's "Defenders" crossover, "Iron Fist" felt like the chance to broaden the TV universe's gritty scope with levity and more fantastic elements, especially in a post-"Doctor Strange" world. It comes tantalisingly close to indulging in over-the-top action, but after half a dozen episodes, you're left with the impression that everyone involved is maybe taking a show about a kung fu master who once hugged a dragon to death a little too seriously.

>THR: Through six episodes, in addition to failing to introduce a main character I care about at all, Iron Fist hasn't given me any season-long arc/objective that I could describe for you, much less one I'm curious to see resolved — and that's before it hits that wall between episodes 7 and 12 that none of the Marvel shows has been immune to. For heaven's sake, Iron Fist has already wasted the "Is our hero actually crazy?" gaslighting episode, a structural conceit that doesn't work when you ask the audience to question everything we think we know about a character before we actually know anything about the character. With a big four-hero mashup allegedly unfolding out of Iron Fist, this misstep couldn't have come at a worse time for Marvel and Netflix. It's a good thing I really like Daredevil, Jessica and Luke.
>>
File: Arrow.png (106KB, 383x342px) Image search: [Google]
Arrow.png
106KB, 383x342px
>years after being presumed dead
>mysteriously returns
>determined to reclaim his birthright and family company.
>a long-destined enemy rises
>>
>>90529620
>Be cis white male in the making
>Cis family dies
>Taken in by chinks and shown kindness and raised by them
>Learn their culture
>Come back to Cismerica
>Un-Cis his Cis fathers Cis Company
What do these people want?

>beats up an old Asian lady
oh..ugh...hmmm.
>>
>>90529739
>if it aired on the CW, it might have even felt like a revelation.
HAHAHA even the shittiest of Marvel shows is better than anything DC has
>>
Is it out already?
>>
>>90529858
50 Marvel Credits have been deposited to your account!

Thank you for posting!
>>
>>90529620
If Iron Fist fails because of inane garbage like race and social issues I'm going to flip my shit. all we should be caring about is cool kungfu shit happening on screen. the minute you go into iron fist looking anything else is the minute you're a giant faggot.
>>
File: daredevilbloody1.jpg (141KB, 744x730px) Image search: [Google]
daredevilbloody1.jpg
141KB, 744x730px
>>90529620
>Danny got shafted by being the follow up to JJ and LC because now all the netflix shows are expected to revolve around social issues. Fuck me.

Not all social issues. Just gentrification.

They probably also don't like how he's beating up so many asian people. Daredevil got a pass (he even beat up blacks, latinos, fatties, and the irish) because he's blind and unless they're racist, you're not allowed to speak ill of the handicapped.
>>
>>90530206
Goddamn right. I'm rather sick of my colorful comics characters having to always push social/political issues. For fuck's sake, doesn't hollywood push this shit in enough films and TV.
>>
File: Moving Goal Post.jpg (29KB, 300x240px) Image search: [Google]
Moving Goal Post.jpg
29KB, 300x240px
>>90529858
Thank you for proving once again how many shill run around on /co/
>>
>>90530226
>Not all social issues. Just gentrification

Are you forgetting the sexual assault/control of women themes from JJ and the social class/racial issues form LC? I would argue there is more there than purely gentrification.
>>
>>90529858
Just let it go. This company wars shit is the cancer killing this board.

Seriously, what kind of autistic tribalism does it take to have this level personal investment in some multi-billion-dollar company that doesn't give a fuck about you?
>>
That's what they get for hiring the hack behind the later seasons of Dexter.
>>
>delusional anons pretending reviewers hate this show because of race shit and not that literally everything about the show is fucked from plot to casting to characters to fight scenes to the villain, etc.
>>
>>90530518
What do you expect most of us to think when half these reviews bring up race for no reason at all?
>>
Diversity is irrelevant. Literally everything they've said about it makes it sound like it's not even an Iron Fist show. They are just using a familiar name to get people to watch.
>>
>>90530564

Complete and thorough deconstruction that only brings up race where it's necessary:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review/marvels-iron-fist-review-984200
>>
>>90530564
We expect you to be able to filter past that kind of thing and actually read the interviews by the people working on the show that makes it clear that they don't respect the franchise they were hired to adapt. No costume, no magic, no revenge motive. How is any of this Iron Fist?
>>
All I want to know is this...

Are there awesome fight sequences which rival Asian Kung Fu cinema?
>>
>>90530406
>>90530283
LOL look at them mad because Marvel is trashing DCshit!

You know what? I don't believe on what I said above. No.

I'm just showing to you faggots how easy and fun it is to trigger autists that find that any shitpost is some evil scheme by corporations.
>>
>>90530260
Well, the thing is that some of these heroes were literally made to push a particular social/political issue. Luke Cage, Captain America, Black Panther...It would be ridiculous to drop the sociopolitical themes in their media. It'd be like spitting all over the character. For others though, like Daredevil, Iron Man, etc etc, I can agree that they really don't need to be pushing any sociopolitical issues since they weren't made with that in mind.
>>
at least he's White
>>
>>90530518
>Implying assblasted regressive leftist critics aren't just savaging it because they feel personally slighted by it's lack of identity politics push

I'm not saying it can't be bad. Maybe it is. But this is exactly the shit the Hollywood Regressive Left would pull. It's not like they have never shat on something that was actually good because muh politics.
>>
>>90530607
of course not
>>
>>90530615
Nobody said anything about evil schemes bro, it's just fucking annoying and tiresome.
>>
>>90530607

Nope. Apparently the fight scenes are poorly shot, over way too fast and the use of stunt doubles is painfully obvious.
>>
File: tinfoilhat.jpg (29KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
tinfoilhat.jpg
29KB, 400x300px
>>90530695
Pic related

>>90530706
>>90530744
Back to YouTube then.
>>
>>90530695

>>90530594
>>
>>90530706
>>90530744

F
>>
>>90530343
Gentrification of the MIND by Scrooge McDuck!
>>
>>90530607

>It's unclear if Jones' lack of physical authority is dampening Iron Fist's ability to be an action show or if Iron Fist's lack of interest in being an action show has negated Jones' ability to display physical authority. For five episodes, Danny's fights are weakly staged and all-too-brief, without any effort to even pretend that the show's leading man is doing any of his own stunts. Danny's strength and his enhanced abilities are barely explained and inconsistently depicted, and an inordinate percentage of the early episodes is spent on Danny Rand, Generic Corporate Regulator, rather than Danny Rand, The Iron Fist. The sixth episode is the first time Danny participates in any sustained action, but even with renowned kung fu cinema aficionado RZA behind the camera, little in the choreography or presentation is memorable
>>
>>90529858
>you will never be this pathetic

Daily reminder than the arrowerse is more popular than the netflixverse by a mile
>>
>>90530848
popularity doesn't equal good fucking dipshit
>>
>>90530615
>Easy and fun to trigger autists with my shitposting

Spotted the 12 year old. Look son, no one over your own age group is "triggered" by you being mildly annoying on the internet. Hearing the same old tripe shitposting for the 1000th time is just dull after a while and the adults would like you to stop. You're like a screaming kid that needs to be tossed outside for a while so the adults can actually have a conversation.
>>
Everyone just needs to shut the fuck up and wait for the show to actually release.
>>
>>90530881

You're right but you can't pretend it's not meaningful that the critical response to the first HALF of the show is nearly universally negative.
>>
>>90529772
>>90529739
Aside from the Verge, there, they're mostly slamming the show's boring nature. So unless it's got a hell of a pick-up in the second half of the season, they fucked up.
>>
>>90530902
Maybe it's just netflix syndrome in reverse. Maybe the first six episodes are shit and the rest is great. Who knows? Just wait. Patience my man.
>>
Uh-Oh, Danny/Misty fans on suicide watch.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MTH0Hki6hRE
>>
>>90530607
Well I've just read Alan Sepinwall's review on uproxx. His opinions on characters and themes of a show are often too 'nu male' but he usually has a good eye for action scenes:
>The problem is that Iron Fist is virtually all talk — most of it painfully dull — and the fighting is both brief and unconvincing.
>Even worse, he's [Finn Jones'] not much of a martial artist, and it shows — badly.
>The action scenes throughout the first six episodes are few and far between, and when they come, they’re filmed and edited in a manner where it becomes hard to tell what Danny is doing, or if he’s remotely the brilliant fighter he’s being sold as. The first few fights have all the actors, Jones in particular, moving so slowly and tentatively, it feels like they filmed the first rehearsal and moved on.
>The skimpiness and infrequency of the Iron Fist fight scenes suggest a production doing whatever it can to keep you from noticing that the greatest warrior ever produced by the Seven Capital Cities of Heaven, who should be able to cut his way through men like in the comics page below, instead moves like a guy who can’t wait to get his green belt at the strip mall dojo.
>>
>>90530983
they dun fucked up giving danny yellow fever on top of being a total Fu Manchu. if he met misty and started fucking her off the back everyone would be talking about how progressive the show is.
>>
>>90530983
Well, it's not Danny/Sparrow, but it's close enough.
>>
>>90530870
Unless it's Marvel, right?
>>
Daredevil season 1, Jessica Jones and Luke Cage were all heavily based on the work of Bendis.

Likely the problem with this series is they tried to Bendis-ize Iron Fist when the character doesn't really work that way.

It's funny, it looks like the Netflix shows are going to be ruined the same way the movies were: shoving everything into the same generic mold in order to create a better sense of "unity" instead of taking each property as its own thing.
>>
>The action scenes throughout the first six episodes are few and far between, and when they come, they’re filmed and edited in a manner where it becomes hard to tell what Danny is doing, or if he’s remotely the brilliant fighter he’s being sold as. The first few fights have all the actors, Jones in particular, moving so slowly and tentatively, it feels like they filmed the first rehearsal and moved on. I wanted to write that off as the show’s way of demonstrating that Danny is so good, he barely needs to make an effort against civilians — an approach that served Luke Cage well at times — but later fights aren’t any more impressive, even if Danny is moving slightly faster. (He’s not even involved in a long and elaborate combat sequence until late in the fourth episode.) Colleen’s fights look a bit better in comparison, but are also edited so aggressively that it’s all but impossible to tell.

>It would be easy to blame the choppiness of the action on the fact that so few modern filmmakers understand how to shoot and edit this stuff anymore. (One of the reasons John Wick struck a chord with the audience was that its directors knew that less is often more in the genre, and focused on making sure we could easily follow everything Keanu Reeves was doing.) But Iron Fist comes out of the Netflix/Marvel factory, where Daredevil features some of the most exciting — and most classically composed — fight scenes in all of television, as the camera just hangs back and lets us watch the Man Without Fear kick and flip his way through one army of bad guys after another(*). The skimpiness and infrequency of the Iron Fist fight scenes suggest a production doing whatever it can to keep you from noticing that the greatest warrior ever produced by the Seven Capital Cities of Heaven, who should be able to cut his way through men like in the comics page below, instead moves like a guy who can’t wait to get his green belt at the strip mall dojo.
>>
>>90530983
To add to my post. It certainly doesn't look bad, but deffo not what I and probably expected/wanted for an Iron Fist show. Hey, at least Colleen is getting a lot to do.

>compare her comic counterpart...
>>
>>90529858

At least we can stop pretending there aren't Marvel shills here right?
>>
File: 1474641701837.jpg (26KB, 320x287px) Image search: [Google]
1474641701837.jpg
26KB, 320x287px
>>90529939
>mousseketeer
>MCUck
>DCfriend
>DCUck

Why do /co/ ''insults'' sound like they are made by pussified manchildren who grew up with Ned Flanders?
What's next?
''Meanie poopyhead''?
>>
>>90531085

IT'S JUST SJWS RIGHT GUYZ?
>>
>>90531139
Blow me you absolute cunt.
>>
>>90531034
Coco butter twitter is a forceto be reckoned with. They would have defended HARD. I already saw some, but wow, the wind is gonna be took out of their sails.

>If you thought the drama was bad now...
>>
>>90529739
>As far as diversity, representation, and appropriation go, the series fails in a number of ways

>muh quotas
>muh bechdel tests
>muh diversity

If the actual story and pacing issues are a problem, that has nothing to do with subjective muh diversity claims.
>>
>>90530594
>race
>necessary to bring up
>>
>>90531139
It's /v/ retards trying to force their console war shitposting into comics.
>>
Was shit from day 1 with that faggot casting some Game of Thrones bitch with nothing else to his name
>>
>There are some recurring positive notes in these Iron Fist reviews, not least of all with respect to Jessica Henwick’s turn as Colleen Wing – though as most TV critics seem to agree that Colleen would have been a better choice to serve as the protagonist of the Iron Fist TV series

Fucking what
>>
>>90532005
"We want more women of color."
>>
Fucking monkeys paw. This is what I get for wanting things.
>>
>>90532005
Literally fuck this world. These human scumbags are bleeding into my fiction.
>>
>>90532005
I don't see what's wrong with wanting the better actor to take the spotlight.
>>
>>90529620
I mean, trailer made it seem like real crap and it doesn't seem like they put much effort into casting the right people and stuff.
>>
Any chance that it's actually kino and the critics just can't understand how deep it is?
>>
>>90532372
last six episodes will be absolute marvel kino.
>>
Jessica Jones was terrible and got rave reviews, so I'll be checking this out.
>>
Y'all are reacting the same way BvS fans did last year.
YA LIKE APPLES, /CO/?
>>
>>90532559
Iron Fist isn't even out though.
We're relying solely on critics and critics aren't always in the right.
>>
>>90532005
Maybe the actress, but it terms of the character? What has Colleen Wing been doing this last decade? How would you even pitch a Colleen Wing show? Or, let me guess they just wanted her as the Iron Fist, despite not making any story sense.
>>
>>90532604
You're not saying anything that contradicts my point.
>>
>>90531361
>>90531139
2casual4me
>>
>>90532723
Tribalism is the most casual, plebian phenomenon on this earth.
>>
File: Oh Wait, You're Serious.jpg (132KB, 625x538px) Image search: [Google]
Oh Wait, You're Serious.jpg
132KB, 625x538px
>>90530615
>The ol' "I'm just pretending to be retarded" defense
If you claim to be harvesting (you)s, I'd still believe you. Would even give you props for making me reply
>>
>>90530206
>If Iron Fist fails because of inane garbage like race and social issues

That's pretty much all these SJW reviewers bitch about. Ignore them and just enjoy the show.
>>
>>90533157
Hard to enjoy a show that has little to do with the franchise it's adapting.
>>
>>90530824
I think this is one of those productions where the critics are bagging on it but the plebs will still take to it regardless.
>>
>>90533452
Of course they will, its MCU
>>
>>90530564
To apply some critical thinking rather than getting triggered and deriving your opinion from that like a gamer girl.
>>
>>90533485
>MCU
>critics bagging on it
You underrate the power of jewgold.
>>
>>90531057
I blame DD s2. If the ninja zombies weren't so poorly received we might have at least gotten more mystic shit.
>>
>>90533485

Marvel tv is not that popular though
>>
>>90531008

Why the fuck did they cast him if he cant fight?

REEEEEEE !!

Roll
>>
>>90529620

Maybe it sucks if you binge watch it but is decent for two episodes a day
>>
>>90531361

That was two years ago, now it has become /co/ culture unfortunately
>>
>>90534218
>two

Try 6. When Nu52 was just starting things like DCasual and Marveldrone started popping up and it's only gotten worse.
>>
>‘Iron Fist’ Review: Like ‘Batman Begins,’ If Bruce Wayne Was an Idiot Man-Child

http://comicsalliance.com/netflix-iron-fist-season-1-review/

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
>>
>>90529620
Not surprised, DD is blind, JJ is a woman, and LC is black. Danny is the only one SJWs won't defend.
>>
File: 1475972428661.jpg (53KB, 749x556px) Image search: [Google]
1475972428661.jpg
53KB, 749x556px
since they refused to do his costume or any part of it, I'm kind of glad that they are getting fucking doodooed on by the critics

maybe next time make a SUPERHERO STORY instead of this pretentious Karate Kid bullshit
>>
>>90534388
That's the sad part. The diversity shit is distracting some people who have (both pro- and anti-) SJW blinders on from the actual problems.
>>
>>90534388
this
the showrunner confirming no costume and zero mystic origins really killed my interest
>>
>>90529620

>it looks like IF is getting shredded because not muh diversity issues.

No you tard. Its because its shit, as anyone who has the slightest idea who Scott Buck knew it would turn out.
>>
>>90534321
I was here before MoS had released and rarely noticed any such rivalry.

When some shitposter did try to start any company wars nonsense then, they would immediately called out for shitposting.

Unlike video games /co/ franchises did not have any hardware barriers to be enjoyed and /co/ most of the time was helpful to Marvel and Dc friends alike

But after MoS released all of that changed and /v/ company wars just seemed to had spilled on to /co/

However I see some hope after noticing /co/ becoming slower
>>
File: ironfist.gif (57KB, 350x701px) Image search: [Google]
ironfist.gif
57KB, 350x701px
what are the odds of me ever seeing this costume done well in real life?
>>
>>90530848
>Daily reminder than the arrowerse is more popular than the netflixverse by a mile
No it isn't, lol what are you smoking?
>>
>>90534684
He's smoking that Green Arrow bruh
>>
>>90530848

thats hard to verify, netflix doesnt exactly have viewer ratings
>>
>>90529871
>Is it out already?

Press got the episodes a month ago.
Launches to the general public next week.
>>
>>90529620
Why do these whiney racecard bitchs want everything caterd to them
>>
>>90530594
>ctrl+f
>cultural appropriation
lol ok
>>
>>90531112
As soon as we admit that there are just as many DC Shills.
>>
Man. They ruined IF. Which is pretty impressive actually. All it needed to be was a mystical kung-fu flick/show with mystical shizzle.

Couldn't they have gotten someone who knows how to make kung-fu/martial arts movies and an actor who actually knows martial arts?

They could have made a show like ye olde kung-fu flicks+chi powers and you'd please kung-fu fanboys and the comic fanboys. How was this such a hard concept?
>>
>>90530596
>No costume, no magic, no revenge motive. How is any of this Iron Fist?
>in the first half of the show

How fucking dense are you?
>>
>>90534995
Not talking about reviews. These are things confirmed to not be in this first season at all.

It's just flat out not an Iron Fist show.
>>
>>90534995
When has the second half of a marvel netflix show been better than the first? An interview also confirmed no costume this season
>>
>>90534960

Cause they don't understand or care about the source material. They just took some surface stuff and ran with it. The other showrunners clearly cared, even if the other 3 shows had their flaws.
>>
This is what they get for ruining Danny/Misty. Fuck you Marvel.
>>
>>90530260
Shut the fuck up idiot. If you don't care about social issues, stay in the basement and keep your fucking fat lip buttoned bitch. We need more apathetic cunts on this planet like a hole in the head.
>>
>>90535221
Did you see the latest clip? He's all up in Colleen's grill. It's gonna make the shit storm, even shitter. Oh wow.
>>
>>90535345
>shit storm
>implying anyone other than the handful of people whining about it here give two shits about Danny's comics otp
>>
>>90532372
You mean like BvS?
>>
>>90534522
>I was here before MoS had released and rarely noticed any such rivalry.

You weren't looking hard enough. It was starting to be bad in 2011.
>>
>>90536047

I only seemed to remember hipster faggotru shitting on the big two for capeshit and jerking off to Vertigo
>>
>>90535221
>>90535345

Yeah. Funny how that soured me more than anything. like Misty/Luke one night stand was actually ok. They did'nt love each other and as an older woman, you expect her to have some of that. But this was for no fucking reason.
>>
>>90535974
A white man putting his dick in an Asian? Stop the fucking presses
>>
>>90529620
You think Marvel is gonna give in and make him Asian from now on? Or give him an Asian counterpart?
>>
>>90536136
Fappe Tyme
>>
>>90536164
Expect more Pei.

>>90536127
Misty not being Danny first love is a tough pill to swallow. Kinda worse if its Colleen.
>>
>>90529620
>but so far it looks like IF is getting shredded because not muh diversity issues
The is a sinlge review that mentions diversity at all, the reason it's getting shredded is because it has shit pacing apparently.
>>
>>90536661
Better than rebranding a character for the sake of diversity. Even then why would people want this of all people to be the first asian Marvel character to hit the big screen?
>>
>one character chokes another while singing "Take on Me"

At least it will be entertainingly bad, just like the last few seasons of Dexter.
>>
>>90532372
Yeah, absolutely. When you're not an SJW whining about non-issues like "MUH ASIAN PROTAGONIST THAT IS TOTALLY CANON TO THE COMIX!", then I'm sure its perfectly enjoyable. Great even.

Most of these dipshit wannabe progressives decided they hated the show before even watching the first episode.
>>
>>90536833
>Most of these dipshit wannabe progressives decided they hated the show before even watching the first episode.
Why? Is it alt-right propaganda or something?
>>
>>90533296
The fuck are you even talking about?
>>
>>90534388
>since they refused to do his costume or any part of it

Or, you know, they're saving for the final fight... just like they did for Daredevil's first season.

>b-but I read an interview and they didn't spoil every detail!
>>
Dammit, it has the exact problems I feared. Shitty fights, bland acting,no stand out mysticism and shit pacing
>>
>>90536941
They're leaving out all the important elements and making him a Green Arrow+Daredevil hybrid.

Have you been living under a rock?
>>
>>90536742
What Marvelix show doesn't have terrible pacing issues? Luke Cage took the cake. The only one that did mostly well with the alloted episodes was DDS1.
>>
>>90536918
Nah, because of SJW bullshit.

>I'm a huge comic fan
>Iron Fist is totally an Asian dude in the comics, r-right? Because, you know, martial arts is an Asian thing. And only Asian people can do Asian things.
>I'm mad that a white dude is playing an Asian character!

is pretty much the majority of the people bitching.
>>
>>90536833
Having a white protagonist is one of the least concerns. It seems to be a mess, from badly shot fights to boring acting and clumsy writing.
>>
>>90529739
>After all, Marvel has earned enough goodwill since Daredevil premiered in 2015 to hope that wrestling with its inherently problematic
>inherently problematic
All credibility lost there. Obviously a biased, untrustworthy source. Confirmed by
>As far as diversity, representation, and appropriation go

Cultural appropriation doesn't real.
>>
>>90529620
That's literally one review, all of the rest criticize tone, pacing, acting, writing, the action, and cinematography.
>>
Fuck, why did Iron Fist have to have weak action. Luke Cage had decent action sequences. I'd rather Luke Cage's fight scenes have been shit like Jessica Jones' instead of Iron Fist, fuck.
>>
>>90536127
Yep. Marvel deserves shit reviews just for that. How hard is it to respect and use source material. Its already fucking written
>>
>>90537295

Thats prob the biggest fuck up of all.
>>
>>90537336
>it's bad if i don't know how every single relationship is going to go beforehand
>>
>>90537375
This.

People act like they should have every detail of the show spelled out for them before they even watch the first episode.
>>
>Iron Fist without magic or costume
Why? Who would think this is a good idea?
>>
>>90537359

Like Netflix has good fight choreographers, so how did they shit the bed?
>>
>>90537456
The people who established the gritty real world in these shows. Magic wouldn't work in this world they built.
>>
>>90537520
But DD already has magic
>>
I'm starting to think that this is less of a strictly race issue and more of a "this type of story is getting old" thing. Batman Begins, Arrow, and Doctor Strange all did the cocky rich American guy travels to another part of the world to learn martial/mystic arts. It's becoming stale for comic book productions.
>>
>>90537671
Didn't help that most people wanted to hate this even before it was made by virtue of having mighty whitey be greater than asians at what asians do best.
>>
>>90537094
Kung Fu Carradine was still cringy though
>>
>>90537470

Budget maybe. Iron Fist shouldve came before Luke Cage. That would've broken up the slate better.
>>
>>90529620

I'm worried about the Punisher series, they better not fuck that up.
>>
>>90538000
I'm a bit hopeful. IF seems to suffer from them taking away everything that makes the concept worth seeing in the first place.

Punisher is much grounded and american. Nothing particularly strange (heh) to take out because muh realism
>>
>>90537671
That's not even Danny's origin story, though. He was raised in K'un-Lun since he was a child. He goes back to NYC to get revenge, but now that's been gutted and he feels like a Green Arrow rehash.
>>
>>90532304
Yeah that's how I interpreted that line too.

She was the better actress and ngl I would kill for a Daughters of the Dragon show.
>>
>>90538000
Daredevil was good, Jessica Jones was weak, Luke Cage was good, and apparently Iron Fist is weak, if the pattern holds Punisher should be good.
>>
File: CARLOS.jpg (6KB, 153x193px) Image search: [Google]
CARLOS.jpg
6KB, 153x193px
It's all part of the Chi Po discipline.
>>
>>90530577
/thread
>>
So nothing been said about the villains yet?
>>
>>90534556
fucking zero
but you knew this, didn't you?
>>
>expecting good stuff from the showrunner of the final Dexter seasons
>>
>>90530260
>why are the X-men?
>>
>>90537568
Didn't they already show his fist lighting up and him doing a special effects punch?
>>
>>90537184
>doesn't real
Really? Cause you seem to be acting like a nigger.
>>
>>90538149
>>
I feel bad for the guy playing Danny, he doesn't deserve this shit storm thrown his way by "journalists".
>>
All I want to know is if he gets the classic costume or anything resembling it by the end.
>>
>>90534960
Because they have to clone the tone of the other shows because MUH SHARED UNIVERSE
>>
>>90541159
Agreed, they should be shit-talking the producers and casting directors. Some people even asked him why he didn't turn down the roll if he thought Diversity was so important.
>>
>>90529620
Can't wait for this to start getting 10/10 reviews once the Gisnep hype machine spins up.
>>
>>90541435
>Gisnep
who?
>>
>>90541277
But what makes IF sharing panels/scenes people like Luke and JJ so fun is the stark contrast between the goofy and lovable kung-fu bro and the "I'm so serious" people ;_;
>>
File: MFW.png (571KB, 756x630px) Image search: [Google]
MFW.png
571KB, 756x630px
>>90529620
Even the hardcore Marvel shills are turning on it.
>>
>>90529739
>It's bad because the karate man isn't Asian!
So I'm still giving this a shot.
>>
>>90541268

They are only given the first 6 episodes, so doubt they would know.
>>
>>90537295
>Luke Cage had decent action sequences
?
>>
>>90537909
Yeah, budget probably. I stopped following the Netflix Universe after JJ. Besides the shitty plot I got the feeling they used just a handful of sets. Plus maybe weak directors for action sequences and fights. I mean that JJ/LC fight near the end was horribly bad.
>>
>>90541648
I honest to God saw people post about how he should've been Latino.
>>
>>90529858
>he likes Jessica Jones
>>
>>90541268
Did you not see that article a while back where they said they weren't putting him in a costume or mask?
>>
>>90541268
Oh honey.
>>
>>90529739
>Variety: Iron Fist is the most frustrating and ferociously boring example of Netflix Drift [pacing problems] in some time...It takes forever for anything to happen on Iron Fist, and as it stumbles along, the uninspired production design, unexceptional cinematography, and painful dialogue fail to distract the viewer from the overall lack of depth, detail, or momentum...Good luck, bingers: Getting through two episodes was a challenge.

Isn't this ltierally every Netflix Marvel show?
>>
I don't know what's worse: SJWs assuming Danny is Asian in the comics, or thinking that making the mystical kung fu guy Asian will help things.
>>
>>90542410
>or thinking that making the mystical kung fu guy Asian will help things.
His race is a lose-lose situation anyway.
>>
>>90541480
>I can't google
>>
Spoiler: the season ends with Danny being a lumberjack.
>>
>>90542374
>Isn't this ltierally every Netflix Marvel show?
They've been trending more in this direction over time. I think the SJW shit fit finally spurred them to stop denying that.
>>
>>90542580
Make him Latino. It stays true to what's important about the character's origins, it's not offensive to anybody, and a latino kung fu guy is something I've never actually seen done, despite how popular martial arts stuff is in latin america. Well, Mexico at least, I don't know if it's popular in the rest of latin america.
>>
File: 427full-christian-howard.jpg (43KB, 427x641px) Image search: [Google]
427full-christian-howard.jpg
43KB, 427x641px
>>90530824

Fucking knew they should've casted Christian Howard instead of Jones.

Dude's a real martial artist, not an actor who took up martial arts just for his films.
>>
>>90542580
>>90542954
I think anything other than black (you lose the interracial friendships/relationships) or Asian (stereotypical) could potentially work.

But again the race isn't the issue with the show.
>>
>>90542980
Okay, he looks good
>>
>>90541299

>why he didn't turn down the roll if he thought Diversity was so important.

>working for marvel is guaranteed money.
>lol yeah i'm gonna turn down this easy money

bloggers are the dumbest and most unaware people on the earth
>>
>>90542980
Who is this extremely attractive person of the male sex?
>>
>>90537295
>Luke Cage had decent action sequences

>man walks into bullets that don't phase him
>someone punches him and hurts themselves
>keeps shooting him.
>>
>>90542374
Yes, but without raped women or black guys they finally realized
>>
>>90543190
Read the filename and post senpai.
>>
>>90542980
Looking at all the movies he's been in, I don't think he would have been that hard to get.
>>
>>90543251
There really is only so much you can do with Luke though.
>>
Tumblr's eating this shit up
>>
>>90542980
Damn, that motherfucker actually looks perfect for Iron Fist.

It literally wouldn't be hard at all to make his costume cool as fuck either. What a waste of a character
>>
>>90544177
There's actually a tremendous amount you can do, he has some creative villains
>>
>>90544872
And only Diamondback was used kek.
>>90544841
You think they could try again in a few years? I feel bad for IF fans
>>
>>90544637
Screenshots?
>>
>>90545019
tumblr.com/search/iron+fist/recent
Almost every single post
>>
>>90544841
People would still complain he's white
>>
>>90545053
Why would people celebrate its bad?
>>
>>90544903

Here, have some salt in the wound.
>>
>>90545118
They wanted it to fail because it stars a white guy
>>
>>90545152
>>
>>90545053
eh, some of the posts there are actually showing disappointment in its reception.

>>90545089
True, but they wouldn't be able to use the "Other Asian guy was a martial artists so he would have been better" argument.
>>
>>90529811
i hope you arent implying green arrow invented this? try reading literature maybe other then comic books
>>
>>90545444

>im so glad iron fist is getting dragged it makes me happy inside :’)
>>
>>90545444
>eh, some of the posts there are actually showing disappointment in its reception.
Yeah, but they're kinda getting overshadowed by the people celebrating
>>
>>90531085
Jesus christ
>>
Even putting aside race issues, just skimming through reviews it sounds like the general consensus is it's a poor man's Daredevil, with inferior fight scenes/martial arts and a lot more corporate business drama despite being the designated martial arts show among the four Defenders.
>>
>>90541648
Did you read the other reviews? It's also being slammed for poor pacing and boring cinematography.
>>
>>90546391
But how can we take that seriously?
>>
>>90530824
Absolutely disgusting. The ONE guy in all of the MCU who absolutely relies on cool fighting scenes, and they pull this shit.
>>
>>90546575
Why not take it seriously when the showrunner is known to be incompetent, the released clips aren't impressive, and they're saying concerning things in interviews?
>>
>>90534556
It'd just be the track suit from the recent Iron Fist/Luke Cage team up series.

Yet they're still recluse to use it.
>>
>>90546681
But anon....have you considered the SJW agenda? hmm? That trumps everything else
>>
>>90547012
I hate that this is truly what the debate about this show will be: people assuming you're defending it or shitting on it purely because of the race drama. Hopefully the threads die out in a week much like the other Netflix series.
>>
>>90547083
Pretty much, this is turning into a reverse Ghostbusters.
>>
>>90547083

Literally no one of 4chan shits on stuff because of race drama. It's all triggered /pol/tards fighting against no one or falseflagging.
>>
>>90542980
OH NO HE'S HOT
>>
>>90529620

i've just heard it has really shitty fights, finn jones is bland, and the plot is uninteresting.
>>
File: Street-Fighter-Assassin-Ken-4.jpg (944KB, 1500x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Street-Fighter-Assassin-Ken-4.jpg
944KB, 1500x1000px
>>90548327
>>
>>90548459
stop making me gay it's working too much
>>
3 reviews I've seen hate Danny for being white
>>
>>As far as diversity, representation, and appropriation go, the series fails in a number of ways
>>
>>90549260
Why couldn't they review it properly like addressing pacing, characterization and choreography above all else?
>>
>>90530127
Those credits should probably be going to the guy who wrote that instead.
>>
>actually read the reviews
>they make it clear that the show sucks for reasons that go far beyond diversity
>anons will now defend a crap show just because SJW's don't like it

Holy fuck, if SJW's announced they were opposed to pigshit, you twits would all line up underneath a hog's butthole with your mouths open.
>>
>>90529739
>After all, Marvel has earned enough goodwill since Daredevil premiered in 2015 to hope that wrestling with its inherently problematic

lost all credibility after that word, fuckin faggot cunts, not everything has to be for a universal audience. Do I bitch that BET shows or Madea movies are racist as fuck and "problematic" excluding any white actors or the few whites in the cast are either racist stupid rednecks, or uncool ivy league wasps. where was the diversity in Queer as Folk? all gays. what about Milk? straight hetero where all bad guys. but thats not problematic.

piss off the majority, we will vote in Republicans in every office and set up electors to vote in a Republican President to take back all the rights we gave because all SJWs do is act like ungrateful cunts and call everyone else the bad guy. its like liberated slaves from the south spitting on a Yankee veteran that got a leg taken off by Johnny Rebs canonball. ungrateful cunts.
>>
>>90531206
>>muh bechdel tests

Wouldn't have been an issue if they hadn't fucked up and stuck Misty on Cage.
>>
File: why.jpg (48KB, 250x347px) Image search: [Google]
why.jpg
48KB, 250x347px
>>90529620
Every teaser and trailer has looked shittier than the last. This was the series I was most hyped for when The Defenders was first announced. Couldn't be more disappointed with how it looks so far. Not a single bit of it is appealing. Finn Jones is a huge miscast and the writers are putting focus on the wrong things.
>>
>>90531008
remember that dude who complained about jones beaing a beach who didnt care about his action scenes? welp looks ike he was rigth
>>
File: 183ob861iy0ckjpg.jpg (48KB, 800x450px) Image search: [Google]
183ob861iy0ckjpg.jpg
48KB, 800x450px
>>90549738
depends, would the poop be supported by pig's balls?
>>
>Daredevil s2
>Jessica Jones
>Luke Cage
>Now Iron Fist
Can we all just admit that Daredevil s1 was a happy accident and Marvel Netflix shows will never be good again?
>>
>>90553311
but Daredevil season 2 and Jessica Jones were good
>>
>>90552400
Are you me? I was about to post the exact same thing.
>>
>>90553342
only the first half of DDS2 was good and the only part of JJ that was at all interesting was Trish

you might have shit taste
>>
>>90553374
>only the first half was good
>so the whole thing is bad

>only the last half was bad
>so the whole thing is good
that's how you sound

the whole season was good, though the second half is weaker
>>
>>90542374
>Good luck, bingers: Getting through two episodes was a challenge.

This is what I felt like when watching Daredevil.
>>
>>90538193
>good actors
>good showrunner (based steve lightfoot, creator of Hannibal)
All is well. Scott Cuck already shat on Dexter, so this is nothing new. I'm very, very worried for Inhumans now, however.
>>
>>90553407
>only one half of my meal had a roach in it so it was good

k
>>
>>90553459
>one half of my meal had a hair in it, the other half and the whole taste make it worth though
>>
>>90533988

Marvel wants all of the Netflix shows to have a prestige drama feel. The problem is they adapted a property that isn't suited to a prestige drama interpretation.

The Netflix shows are the intellectual counterpoint to the popcorn that is the Avengers. Marvel wants to demonstrate they can do everything with their properties, and to dominate all demographics.
>>
>>90553342
LMAO
>>
>>90553483

The inherently problem with Marvel's Netflix shows is that they try to emulate HBO, without having the budget, the actors or the writing quality of HBO.
>>
File: 1375454581819.png (140KB, 167x426px) Image search: [Google]
1375454581819.png
140KB, 167x426px
>>90531085
Welp...
>>
>>90553950

>awkwardly placed sex and nude scenes for shock value
>writing quality

pick one
>>
>>90536164
Maybe they'll try something with Shang Chi?
>>
>>90554069
Token tittilation isn't about writing quality, it's conscious pandering move aimed towards neckbeard demo who get boner from that sort of thing.
>>
>rotten tomatoes currently sitting at a solid 0%
>>
>>90530744
You know how they could've fixed that? By giving him a mask so they could do fight scenes with doubles more easily.
>>
File: C3lB2tdXUAA2fyu.jpg (36KB, 836x960px) Image search: [Google]
C3lB2tdXUAA2fyu.jpg
36KB, 836x960px
>MARTIAL
>ARTS
>MASTER

Trained his entire life to master his senses. Where did you train? ON A FARM
>>
>>90554306

the problem would remain be that he'd need a female stunt double due to how scrawny he is.
>>
>>90554306
who could have possibly auditioned for that role? Was Game of Thrones all it took?
>>
>>90554309
The man takes a dick up his ass on GoT. That's got to be something.
>>
>>90554196
>mfw Iron Fist is the only cape shit that was released in the last ten years to have a 0 percent on RT.

I don't care my petty ass is happy that it's getting shat on after reading that the dude who destroyed Dexter is the showrunner.
>>
>>90530226
from i read, Iron fist walks into a dojo, and shows everybody how to do a punch, all the asians, who dont know how, and asian dojo master, who all needed to learn how to punch from Gary Sue.

So it doesnt sound less offensive, rather its......crap

Mary Sue Weeaboo Master
>>
>>90531008
OH NO SJW OFFENDED THE ACTION SUCKS
OH NO SJW OFFENDED THAT THE GREATEST FIGHTER...SUCKS AT FIGHITNG...

OH NO.....maybe its just not good, guys?
>>
>>90532465
thats logic, for sure
>>
I heard that they are going to make him team up with Luke Cage

Because MUH DIVERSITY
>>
>>90554413

This.. this has to be the Iron Fist punch we're talking about, right?
>>
>>90529739
>Getting through two episodes was a challenge.
That's how I felt about Jessica Jones. If I could stomach that, I can get through this as well.
>>
>>90549738
lol IM BINGE WATCHIGN THIS SHIT SHOW EVERDAY NONSTOP. I BET THEYRE SO OFFENDED! YOU OFFENDED SJW?!?
>>
>>90531008
>>The problem is that Iron Fist is virtually all talk — most of it painfully dull — and the fighting is both brief and unconvincing.
Iron Fist's early story could honestly be the opposite, if they took the right inspiration from his early comics of his return to New York. Danny was a hero of few words then. Minimalist dialogue, extended action sequences, shot with an attention to style.
>>
Sometimes mishaps like this need to happen for people to learn.
>>
>>90553432
They lost my vote by changing Black Bolt's costume.

It doesn't make the series bad, but it doesn't make me excited
>>
>>90543251
It's hilarious for a show that sold itself partially on having a black man that couldn't be shot eventually did have the black man get shot.
>>
>>90554492

Have you ever picked up a Hero for Hire comic?
>>
>>90554492
READ SOME FUCKING COMICS, MORON!
>>
>>90532272
>my fiction
i'm sorry did you write it anon
>>
>>90529739
>as far as diversity, representation, and appropriation go, the series fails in a number of ways.
>it's literally a single sentence in the review
>most of the review is explicating that the reviewer thinks it's terrible as far as pacing, camerawork and dialogue goes too
>people are defending it just because they want to stick it to muh SJW boogeyman

spending your entire life reacting to other people is the opposite of thinking for yourself oh my god
>>
>Show about a master martial artist
>Shit fight scenes

how can you possibly fuck that up? Didn't they make fights a priority?
>>
>>90529620
>tfw if Green Lantern is anything to go by most people will just write off the character entirely instead of thinking this might just be a bad adaption
>>
>>90534388

Hey, Karate Kid was all right!
>>
>>90534441
I can at least understand not having the costume straight out of the gate, or adapting it to look more like a kung-fu gi or something like that.

But why take the mysticism out of Iron Fist? What is there left to the world that the character inhabits without that?
>>
>>90554700
>Iron Fist had to be the MCU's sacrificial lamb to get over darkngritty
God damn it, why couldn't it have been JJ or LC
>>
File: 1486139324872.png (13KB, 360x252px) Image search: [Google]
1486139324872.png
13KB, 360x252px
pretty much this
>>
>>90556737

Should've been JJ.

Daredevil, Luke Cage and Iron Fist are all long-time Marvel characters with fanbases and people were actually looking forward to getting them right in live action.

Nobody cared about Jessica Jones outside of Bendis before her show came out
>>
They decided the star should be a guy with poor acting chops and no martial arts skill.

That's casting so bad the casting director should be taken outside and shot for the good of entertainment in general.
>>
>>90556786

This. Finn Jones doesn't even look buff
>>
This is what people are trying to defend.

Face it, they fucked up Iron Fist. They made an Iron Fist show and didn't even get a martial artist as the star. That shouldn't even be possible in 2017. How the hell do you fuck up this badly? Fire everyone involved, recast the main character for future Defenders stuff. Fucking hell this is infuriating.

Iron Fist deserved better.
>>
>>90556786
I'm more offended they hired the gay knight from Game of Thrones than the fact he's white. Because any time Iron Fist does anything remotely cool, I'll just flashback to when he was fucking one of Littlefinger's manwhores.
>>
We all fucking knew it was going to be grim and gritty and not light hearted in the slightest, so I don't see why anyone is surprised about that.
It was a shitty decision on the Netflix team's part.
>>
>>90556825
>They made an Iron Fist show and didn't even get a martial artist as the star

They didn't even need a martial artist. Just get the action scenes right like Daredevil did. They couldn't even do that simple task for a character whose main gimmick is FIGHTING.
>>
>>90556845

Well Luke Cage was marketed as a mid 90s hip hop vibe, and we got a corny neo-blaxploitation show that far more light-hearted than Daredevil and Jessica Jones.

Plus they kept saying Danny Rand is more lighthearted than the other 3 in terms of personality, so I guess they mislead us.
>>
File: 640.jpg (115KB, 640x569px) Image search: [Google]
640.jpg
115KB, 640x569px
There's a lot of characters where the race of the actor doesn't make a difference. Reboot X-Men and make Cyclops or Professor X black, wouldn't matter. No reason why Supergirl couldn't be Latina. Have Harvey Dent be African American, go ahead, no reason why not.

Iron Fist kinda needs to be white, because his story is basically "spoiled rich white kid becomes less spoiled (but not less white), stumbles his way into a mystic martial arts city somewhere around China, becomes best friends with a black guy, marries a black woman, and very often finds himself the token white in his social circles. It just doesn't work if he's not white any more than Luke Cage would work if Luke was Latino. There's definitely baggage there, but, well, that's the character. Ditch that and you may as well not be making an Iron Fist adaptation.
>>
>>90556949
Danny was brought up in K'un-Lun, so the "cultural appropriation" argument doesn't hold. But, no one cares about nuance, other dragging others. Danny didnt deserve this. Nor the actor. Sigh.
>>
Hey guys, remember the 1920s? When the French wanted jazz bands from USA? They only hired black musicians because they considered that only blacks can play jazz!
>>
>>90529739
>It takes forever for anything to happen on Iron Fist, and as it stumbles along, the uninspired production design, unexceptional cinematography, and painful dialogue fail to distract the viewer from the overall lack of depth, detail, or momentum

So, apparently if a critic says a show is:
>boring
>uninspired
>lazily shot
>badly written
>shallow
those are all "muh diversity" issues.
When did /co/ turned into a bunch of special snowflakes who need safe spaces from ANY criticism and starts seeing EEEEVIL SJWS in anyone who even dares to say a white man show happenes to suck?
>>
>>90558007
The same websites and publications gave Luke Cage and Jessica Jones favorable reviews despite them having the exact same problems.
Iron Fist isn't getting slated because it's worse, it's getting slated entirely for political reasons.
>>
>>90553311
>Can we all just admit that Daredevil s1 was a happy accident and Marvel Netflix shows will never be good again?

All my this
>>
>>90558007

The thin g is that everything in Marvel netflix has these flaws except DDs1

>>boring
>>uninspired
>>lazily shot
>>badly written
>>shallow
>>
>>90553311
Luke Cage and Jessica Jones were both better than Daredevil though.
>>
>>90558553

bait harder
>>
>>90543251
Yeah, but that's the character. Those scenes were well choreographed, shot, and edited. They looked believable, the impacts felt real. They effectively communicated how hard he was hitting these guys, and how indestructible and unstoppable he was.

Meanwhile, say, Jessica Jones had TERRIBLE fight sequences, because they just did not know how to handle her super powers. Every time she lightly tapped someone and they went flying it looked incredibly cheap, lame, and unbelievable, and takes you out of the moment.
>>
>>90558553
The usual Jessica Jones episode:
>Jessica drinking
>Jessica having a hangover
>the annoying neighbors being annoying
>the junkie neighbor being a junkie
>Killgrave being the baddie in the shadows
>Luke Cage being very disquietingly erotic
>JJ's irritating friend being irritating
>Carrie Ann Moss making butchy dyke faces
>rinse and repeat
>>
>>90556878
>They couldn't even do that simple task for a character whose main gimmick is FIGHTING.

For the record Charlie Cox got in the best physical shape of his life for DD.
He's a stocky guy and the showrunners did their best to make him look lithe and agile.

Iron Fist looks like a 90lb hippy.
>>
>>90558591
>>Carrie Ann Moss making butchy dyke faces
>>rinse and repeat

Yes please.
>>
>>90558591
Wow. You didn't even watch it. Neat.
>>
File: 1489071131360.jpg (28KB, 494x279px) Image search: [Google]
1489071131360.jpg
28KB, 494x279px
>>90558719
LEWD
>>
>>90558591
>Killgrave being the baddie in the shadows
I fucking wish. The less of that moron, the better.
>>
>>90556825
>They made an Iron Fist show and didn't even get a martial artist as the star. That shouldn't even be possible in 2017. How the hell do you fuck up this badly?
I agree in principle, but how many white guys can do kung fu and act though?
Hollywood has rielied on stuntmen and jumpcut editing so much in the last couple of decades that there's no incentive for American actors to learn any amount of stunt work, let alone nough to appear like a competent martial artist.

>>90556878
Except Daredevil in the show mostly fights like a skilled barfighter, not like a martial artist. Which is fine for DD, but not IF.
>>
>>90558785
>I agree in principle, but how many white guys can do kung fu and act though?
Jackie Ch-- Wait, shit.
>>
is this the end of MCU
>>
>remember that guy who turned a critically-acclaimed and very popular show into a fucking shitfest that alienated even the most die-hard fans by its shit writing
>let's put him in charge again, what could possibly go wrong?

Marvel's logic.
>>
>>90558110
There have always been people who consider social/poilitical commentary messages make a piece of media better.
I don't really agree with that but I can't really say they're objectively wrong for thinking that way.
>>
>>90529739
>wrestling with its inherently problematic source material

Jesus.
>>
>>90558785
>I agree in principle, but how many white guys can do kung fu and act though?

One look at Finn Jones should make it clear he didn't have the physical prep time for the part. An actor who gives a shit can turn learn to pass physically.

Dan Stevens went from the chubby guy on Downton Abbey to lean and mean for The Guest.

I love Marvel and enjoy their successes but this is a misfire.
>>
>>90558830
I imagine the reasoning was more
>who's the cheapest guy we can hire?
>>
>>90558886
I'm not in any way defending Finn Jones but the issue is more that he can't do stunts for shit than his amount of muscle mass.
>inb4 stunmen
Are a shit replacement that's fine for generic action movies, but not for kung fu focused ones.

Let's face it, there was no way modern Hollywood could do IF justice and we were fools to have any hope they would.
>>
>>90558941
If Harrison Ford and Keanu Reeves can do their own stunts, then Disney could have found a guy who can act and do his own stunts. The problem is they rushed themselves. Disney was so singularly focused on making deadline for Defenders, that they pulled the first pretty boy who agreed to their price, and threw him in front of a camera without any proper training time.

They also fucked the story because they couldn't think of a way to introduce mysticism properly. So fucking DISNEY of all companies chose to make Iron Fist grounded in reality instead.
>>
>>90559039
Explains why John Wick movies have such shitty action scenes.
>>
File: 1241560.jpg (52KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1241560.jpg
52KB, 640x480px
>>90559122
>Explains why John Wick movies have such shitty action scenes.

(You)
>>
>>90559039
Those guys are from an older generation, a time when actually trained people like David Carradine, Patrick Swayze, Steven Seagal, Chuck Norris or Jean-Claude Van Damme were in tons of movies.
Nowadays there's really nothing similar, just look at Winter Soldier casting an MMA fighter who can't even speak his native tongue properly as Batroc.

Also Keanu is Asian so doesn't count.
>>
>>90530206
Literally one of the review points was that the show was moving really fucking slow with wannabe-Daredevil fight scenes that look overly rehearsed.

https://www.dailydot.com/parsec/marvel-netflix-iron-fist-review/

>Some of his fight scenes look overly practiced or slow, inviting unflattering comparisons to the more intense action of Daredevil—a show that benefited from starring a mask-wearing hero who was easier to swap for a stunt double.
>Netflix dramas are designed for binge-watching, but even by Netflix standards, Iron Fist is glacially slow. In the first six episodes, there’s about three episodes’ worth of plot—and most of it belongs to the Meachums.
>>
>>90533877
That's their own fault. Like seriously ninja fight after ninja fight, it's just not interesting and their motive wasn't terribly compelling or explained. What's the Black Sky? Why do they worship it? Is there anything beyond them rather than "kill people and live forever because we're evil"?
>>
>>90559854
>that look overly rehearsed.

To be fair isn't that basically how Kung-Fu always looks?
>>
>>90559958
Yeah, but you can see what's happening, and they have a musicality to them, a rhythm. They're shot clearly.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p_FMrc5l2d0
From the sounds of it, they're making a kung-fu show where the action scenes are all shot with shakey-cam which isn't a good idea.
>>
>>90530935
This is why I've gotten tired of that approach. The whole "Its like a 13 hour long movie!" angle means shit just ends up dragging over several episodes, instead of each episode being tightly nit.
>>
>>90537094

>i totally read the reviews

You must be baiting, nobody can be this stupid. Just as a disclaimer, I have no problem with Danny Rand being white, it's just...how can you go this long without realizing that there are valid points of contention with the show.
>>
>>90560135
I get why the focus on a main story arc rather than stand-alone episodes, I don't mind that at all, but they've definitely slipped into formula. Daredevil manages to keep pretty exciting over the course of the season, but JJ was way too slow and even though I enjoyed Luke Cage it got a bit samey towards the end (Cottonmouth should have been kept as the main villain; why did they reveal his backstory like 10 minutes before he died?).
>>
>>90560312
because muh black mariah
>>
>>90558591
what is this meme?

People act like its a formula story.....its ONE LONG STORY in a season....there is no MONSTER OF THE WEEK formula

what the hell? lol
>>
>>90553432
>steve lightfoot, creator of Hannibal
Should've put him on Jessica Jones. Considering it's pretty much a shittier Hannibal anyway, at least he'd do a better job.
>>
What's funny to me is, if this show is really that bad to mediocre, fine.
The director is known for terrible seasons.
But a lot of it /does/ have to with Danny staying caucasian.

Reading this portion of a review really made me question them because it seems to think too much about Danny being White & Colleen being Asian.

Keep in mind this is after they edited it because, originally, they emphasized Danny being White & Colleen being Asian.

>But Colleen’s brilliance also shines a light on the show’s troubling portrayal of Asian-inspired cultures through the lens of its white protagonist. For all the talk going in that the show would deal with the uncomfortable aspects of appropriation rooted in Danny Rand’s origin stories, there is literally a scene in the third episode where Danny—who really does feel like he’s that one annoying friend of yours who took a gap year before university, went backpacking in the far east, did some tai chi, and suddenly thought that they totally got the culture, man—explains how much better he is at martial arts than Colleen, in an attempt to show how much she needs his protection, in the middle of the fucking martial arts dojo that she owns. It’s not the only time the show goes out of the way to tell us how much better Danny purportedly is meant to be at many aspects of Asian culture (not just martial arts, but elements of spiritualism and even mastery of language come up across multiple episodes) than the many Asian people he is surrounded by, either, and if it weren’t so mind-bogglingly offensive in its execution it’d almost be hilarious.

Their comparison is as though Danny was learning in K'un-Lun for about 4-5 years when he was practically raised there for roughly around 15-17 years training each day intensely & learning to embrace K'un-Lun as a whole to not be much of an outsider.

So for him to claim such a statement after learning from who he thinks are the best & being granted the mantle of IF makes sense.
>>
>>90560033
I need to watch more martial arts movies.

It's so odd that they couldn't film some decent action scenes in a fucking Iron Fist show though.
>>
>>90561260
>YouTube is full of martial arts movies
>Ike is too greedy to let employees use them as a help
>>
>>90561144
>who really does feel like he’s that one annoying friend of yours who took a gap year before university, went backpacking in the far east, did some tai chi, and suddenly thought that they totally got the culture, man

That didn't take long.
>>
>>90531206
>If the actual story and pacing issues are a problem, that has nothing to do with subjective muh diversity claims.
The first review literally points that out, dumbfuck
>>
File: 2017-03-09 01.25.23.jpg (269KB, 1076x787px) Image search: [Google]
2017-03-09 01.25.23.jpg
269KB, 1076x787px
>>90529620
These reviews are not genuine. It's just triggered SJWs giving the show a shit rating just because it has a white guy in it.

I know Daredevil had a white character but normies weren't expecting him to be Asian
>>
>>90561144
NOT ONE of these critics care that Danny has a K'un-Lunian cultural upbringing. They're just treating him like the typical WASP, even the point is that Danny goes again that. They simply don't care and have already made up their mind about him.
>>
>>90561260
Hollywood actors, choregraphers, stuntmen and director can't do kung fu (or most fight scenes) right.
Even the literally best have shaky cam and jumpcuts if they're not made by a chink.
Jackie Chan explains it pretty well.
https://youtu.be/ft43yyuuoYk

But apparently Iron Fist is even bad by those standards, which is appalling. If there's any cultural appropriation here it's Hollywood failing at their bastardization of Bruceploitation.
>>
>>90561868
The question is: do the writing and the actor give the impression that this is a serious man that was raised in the K'un-Lun culture?

And while we haven't seen it, I mean... just fucking look at this:

>>90556825

Looks like shit, man.
>>
>>90558007
/co/ doesn't read anymore.
>>
>>90561378
>>90561868
It's possible that Danny's training and legit Asian culture is not conveyed well in the show.
>>
File: iron fist.gif (888KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
iron fist.gif
888KB, 480x270px
The beard looks stupid. The hairdo looks stupid.
>>
>>90562021
I've always wanted the West to hire martial arts directors or at least choreographers to direct action sequences.

Imagine a Batman movie with action scenes like a Hong Kong martial arts movie, with Lady Shiva as the villain or something. Or a Star Wars movie with that sort of choreography. Or an Avatar movie like a Wuxia film.

Or you know, an Iron Fist show with fights like something out of a martial arts film.
>>
>>90562055
You can't tell by his looks, because he's meant to look like 'the poster boy for privilege'. The raised by K'un-Lunians comes when we see how he reacts and his mannerisms. What I worry about is Danny wanting to reclaim is company like he's Oliver Queen. They've already removed the revenge plot, so I'm already doubtful about this Danny Rand.

>>90562083
In an attempt to thwart the "White Saviour" accusations, they made K'un-Lun multi-ethnic. This is throwing/testing away the aspect of Danny being an ethnic minority in K'un-Lun. It's also labelling all that live in K'un-Lun as "the other", which will not read well. It also gives AAfisters more of an argument.

The way that the K'un-Lunian culture is portrayed in the show, and actually knowing the character of Danny Rand are two different things.
>>
Embarrassing as this thread is, there might actually be a chance that the second half is better. I haven't seen any mention of Zhou Cheng or Bride of Nine Spiders (or Steel Serpent though I don't know if he's in this) in the reviews I've read so the other half might ditch the glacial and unrelatable Meachum corporate plot for more mystic kungfu. It's not going to fix the fact that Finn Jones is a shitty actor who is apparently passable in the light-hearted scenes and literally nothing else, the terrible action sequences, or the elephant in the room, but it could possibly be more entertaining, comparatively.
>>
>>90529620
>implying it's only because of muh diversity
It looks like shit, every trailer looked progressively more retarded, Finn Jones can't act and isn't believable as Danny. Little bitch doesn't even have the body.
>>
>>90562405
Choreographers get work but it's usually all fucked by shitty actors not doing their own stunts, which forces the director/cameramen into odd camera angles and the editor into shitty jumpcuts to hide the fact that it's obviously not the same person.
>tfw the only cape movie to have some clarity in its fight scenes is hated by /co/
https://youtu.be/UVmg_jCPNeI
>>
>>90562511
There's a point where I won't even be able to count all the times this show has disappointed me even before watching it.
>>
>>90562608
Finn Jones certainly wasn't making it easy. There was that screenshot that was posted here before of one of the IF crew on Facebook complaining about how Jones wouldn't rehearse his stunts and kept telling them to cut around his mistakes. The guy seems like a real miscast.
>>
>>90562742
What an unprofessional douche.
>>
Honestly though, I'm trying to go into the show with no preconceptions of how it'll be. If you go into it expecting shit you'll just see shit no matter what actually happens.
>>
>>90562894
I expected Stranger Thinga to be shit and I was surprised. It's not great but not shit. It's better to expect shit.
>>
>>90562894
Actually I find that lowering my expectations tends to help me appreciate something. Like "at least that part is good".
Worked for both Avengers movies.

As we say in my country I like to be pleasantly disappointed.
>>
>>90562742
I saw that screenshot, everybody else bar that guy said he was lovely on their sets. It's not like a guy can't get frustrated.
>>
The whole "white dude finds himself in a different culture, then manages to become the very best at it" thing is indeed an overdone and frankly obnoxious trope. In the Iron Fist books it did start to wear thin.

When Fraction and Brubaker took over Iron Fist they found a fantastic way to deal with that by showing us the previous people to hold the Iron Fist mantle. Danny was turned into the latest in a long line of powerful figures that were treated as cool and important individuals in their own right. It was an excellent way to build a mythos while making Danny less of a white savior Tarzan-type since he's just the latest in a long line of dudes (and dudettes).

From the sounds of it, they didn't make any attempt to flesh out previous Iron Fists in the show.

Basically this show is an example of Hollywood writers and directors shooting themselves in the foot by looking at a solution provided in the source material and going "naaahhhhh, we're professionals, we know better than some ~comic writer~".
>>
>>90562055
>>90562083

Anon who wrote this >>90561144 here.
Like I said, if the show is mediocre, fine. Replace Buck & make the effort to not rush the show & get a better developer & do the character write this time. But because He's is a 'White Savior' Character after we just had Luke Cage & he debut just so happens to be at the wrong time, I feel that the negatives of the show increase/because/ he isn't Asian American.

I don't want to defend this show before I see it, but seeing most of these reviews feel as though they are adding in some unreliability in order to gain more attention.

It feels like the reverse effect of Ghostbusters in that they go with the source material choice for an actor & others, who have no idea about the character as a whole, add fuel to the fire to gain yes men from the readers as though they are mindless drones.

Again, I can't stress this enough, if this show is bad, it's bad, but it will be known to the public for being bad because it was a 'whitewashing' or other misinterpreted reason's rather than what the main flaws are.
I'm probably getting my point across wrong since I'm a bit back & forth at the moment but yea.

I do honestly hope that The Defenders rectify these issues & make Iron Fist better. & IF a second season comes to Danny, then don't rush it.

Though it would most likely will bring Luke in & it will their show.

& what's worse to me is that I imagine these same people will think the eventual Shang Chi show as an apology instead of looking at it for what it is, which will cause even more of a ruckus.
>>
>>90562994
Expecting shit is what made me enjoy Luke Cage on the first watch.
But it doesn't work when you give it a second watch and realize that you only liked it the first time because it exceeded your extremely low expectations
>>
>>90563085
Seemed like they were talking about him as a person though, not necessarily as an actor. Particularly as an action actor. I was hoping it was an isolated incident but from the reviews it likely wasn't. It wasn't the only rumor about how bad Finn's fighting is either. There's a reason marketing keeps pulling out Colleen's action scenes instead.
>>
>>90545483
>i hope you arent implying green arrow invented this? try reading literature maybe other then comic books

I would love to expand my horizons!

Could you please suggest at least four books (not comics or movies or tv shows) that deal with a presumed dead protagonists mysteriously returning to reclaim his birthright?

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>90563208
Listen dude, I was disappointed with Netflix shows in general and every news about IF has been awful.
You can rant about as much as you want about reviewers, that's beyond /co/. I care about the material, who gives a flying fuck about reviewers, they've literally never been taken seriously on /co/ anyway.
Leave that cultural war bullshit to /v/ and /tv/.
>>
>>90563292
The Great Gatsby
Oedipus Rex
the Oddissey
The Cloven Viscount (sort of)

But this is a pretty common trope, sort of.
>>
>>90563292
Not him but that sounds suspiciously like the Bible.
>>
File: image.jpg (921KB, 1008x1541px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
921KB, 1008x1541px
>>90563089
I like what Fraction/Brubaker did, but they get false praise for turning the Iron Fist into a mantle as it's existed as a concept at least since the 90's. See:Return to K'un-Lun. They did give previous fists their own stories, though and /really/ highlighted the legacy. And, the seven cities is all theirs.

Plus, Danny's never been just some "White saviour". In Danny's case it's never been that simple. What I keep on seeing is Danny being misinterpreted as a tourist, instead of an immigrant and a refuge. He was raised in that culture, so that changes the context considerably.
>>
>>90563335
Sorry, I didn't mean to seem like a rant, wasn't honestly trying & I completely messed up my point.
What I mean is, this might have a greater impact on Iron Fist as a whole because Marvel already tries to please an audience. So maybe they'll change Iron Fist canonically? Or Drop Iron Fist from whatever project they had next for him?

Like I said, don't care about the reviews, I care about the greater effect it will cause on said character.

Again, I apologize if I sounded like I was ranting, that wasn't the intention.
>>
>>90563270
It was both. Sets as in the sets the other crew members worked, as well as off-set encounters.

The Colleen clip that was first released was just not good. The lasted Colleen featurette was better.
>>
>>90563642
We'll just have to wait and see about that.
Although at worst maybe you'll get an asian IF legacy (which is fine), they really can't retcon Danny into being asian in comics.

No worries, I may have overreacted due to the general climate of these threads.
>>
>>90563642
Dude, I understood your first post. Not sure why the another Anon read it that way.

I did wonder if releasing the new Iron Fist so soon to the TV is a good idea. I'm sure all those new "fans" (anti-fans) will be zooming their eyes onto it.
>>
>>90563507
I didn't say they invented the mantle passing, I said that they looked at that aspect and realized that by playing it up and fleshing out the previous Iron Fists would be a good way to make Danny look like less of a white savior. Previously the idea of a mantle was mentioned maybe when giving some origin info, or to expand upon his powers a little, but it wasn't played up much.

Showing some previous Fists would have been a good way to make clear that Danny just happens to be the latest in a long line of awesome fighters. But from the sounds of it, they thought that would distract people from the oh-so-interesting Evil Corporation plot.
>>
>>90563390
>The Great Gatsby
>Oedipus Rex
Not him but you're sort of grasping at straws with those. Gatsby's family wasn't a wealthy legacy family and he did not come back to try to reclaim his family fortune.

With Oedipus it's not quite the same. He wasn't out to reclaim his birthright, he did it quite by accident.

With the Odyssey Odysseus pretty much just wants to return home and it about the journey home which doesn't seem to be the crux of Iron Fist nor Arrow.
>>
>>90560033
I always forget how shit Chinese martial arts movies are, glorified slapping and bad wire work.
>>
>>90563866
>oh-so-interesting
No, just cheaper.
This whole fiasco stinks of Perlmutter pinching pennies.
>>
File: 1488504051127.gif (500KB, 300x365px) Image search: [Google]
1488504051127.gif
500KB, 300x365px
>>90563942
>>
>>90563947
>just cheaper

No, you could flesh out the old Iron Fists while still pinching pennies. Even just someone saying some stories aloud would be better than nothing.

Penny-pinching definitely plays into this, but that doesn't sound like it's the only mistake.

Bad casting, bad dialogue, bad choreography, bad plot direction, not enough of an effort to draw on the source material...

Of course maybe 7 eps in everything turns around. One can hope.
>>
>>90563868
I know, but once he ruled comics non-valid when talking about this comic cliche, I didn't really had any option, specially considering how little "adventurous" literature I read. Then again, the Count of Monte Cristo and it's countless imitators (I'm sure there are more than 4)
>>
>>90564082
Doesn't a lot of that stem from them hiring a notoriously bad showrunner presumably on the cheap?

And really once someone said
>mystical kung fu shit happening in a magical city is too expensive
>make it about his life in nice generic New York instead
it was fucked. It could have been less fucked, but still fucked.
>>
>>90563681
Never said Colleen's scenes were good. The implication is that they're probably better than Danny's, unfortunately.

Can't really say anything about the rest of your post but I recall there were only like three people in those screenshots so it's not saying much. Either way it seems to be universally agreed that the action in the end result didn't turn out good, which is disappointing.
>>
It's a pity Netflix always releases an entire season in one block.

Completely nukes any hope at all of mid-season tweaks, reshoots, rewrites, etc. And some shows could reeeeaaaallly benefit from that.
>>
File: 4b8.jpg (37KB, 500x320px) Image search: [Google]
4b8.jpg
37KB, 500x320px
>>90563942
>>
How unusual is it for a show to completely replace the main actor with a new actor playing the same role?
>>
Doesn't help that Finn went dramallama and publically announced he was leaving twitter due to negative feedback. Way to put your worst foot forward.

If your actor says he has a twitter account, just fire him then and there. The potential benefits are vastly outweighed by potential fucktardery.
>>
>>90564232
Ike Perlmutter's penny piniching strikes again?
>>
>>90564377
Pretty damn rare.
I think it's happened mostly when a show is extremely succesful but after a number of years the actor's contract is up and they don't want to renew.
>>
>>90564584
Lie to me and say there's still hope.
>>
>>90564532
Pretty sure agents advise actors to have a twitter these days.
>>
>>90564617
No. Fuck Marvel.
>>
>>90564617
I'm not enthusiastic enough about Netflix Marvel to come up with a scenario that could save this honestly.

Best we can hope is it's the start of the decline of TV Marvel and at some point IF gets an MCU movie with the budget it deserves.
But then that seems pretty unlikely too.
>>
>>90564212
>I know, but once he ruled comics non-valid when talking about this comic cliche,

From original post:
>>i hope you arent implying green arrow invented this? try reading literature maybe other then comic books
>>
File: 1485844182001.jpg (6KB, 189x165px) Image search: [Google]
1485844182001.jpg
6KB, 189x165px
>>90561606
>uses a image from Kill Bill
How does that movie go again?
>>
>>90563866

>Makes Danny look like less of a white saviour

His actual origin does that, plus TLW. The mantle only helps.

I think they did the "evil corporation" plot, because they needed an important social topic to touch on, like the others. His is corporate corruption, because he's in the business sector. I guess Meachum will their Trump analogue.

I'm not sure why people were expecting Iron Fist to be set primarily in K'un-Lun, because despite his origin he is street-level and all of the Netflix show have been set in NYC. Only flashbacks sprinkled throughout in one or two episodes. I would have loved to have seen Wu Aoi-Shi, but I honestly don't know if they have the budget. Plus, they might have though it was too incongruent to Danny's story.

>Danny's getting criticism for either too much K'un-Lun or not enough. Also, scheming rich white people, doing scheming rich white people things. Even though it leads to strength the argument for Danny being white, as he's the cultural outliner amongst them. (Some still want the AA, though.)

I guess this truly was the "Hot Potato" property.
>>
>>90542954
>Rest of latin america
BJJ, nigger
Muay thai, karate, taekwondo, judo, boxing, everything is huge in Brazil.
Just look at the UFC rosters.
>>
>>90548052
/Pol/ writes major reviews pretending to be SJWs and floods tumblr?
Holy fuck stop playing dumb.
>>
>>90565147
she kills bill
>>
FUCK MARVEL
>>
>>90565366
>Lun, because despite his origin he is street-level and all of the Netflix show have been set in NYC. Only flashbacks sprinkled throughout in one or two episodes. I would have loved to have seen Wu Aoi-Shi, but I honestly don't know if they have the budget. Plus, they might have though it was too incongruent to Danny's story.

Because most of the casuals have only read the Immortal Iron Fist run. If you go back and read the original 70s stuff, Iron Fist was a street level character. He was based in a grimy, gritty New York City.
>>
File: Shit_fist.png (14KB, 366x196px) Image search: [Google]
Shit_fist.png
14KB, 366x196px
>Go to RT
>See that the series now has a positive review
>THIS is the "positive" review
This shit must be terrible.
>>
>>90565366
>I'm not sure why people were expecting Iron Fist to be set primarily in K'un-Lun
Because a large portion of it being set there would presumably help making Iron Fist feel like less of a "frat boy who spent a year abroad and preaches about buddhism" or a guy who earns his martial skills from being the MC, and thus would counter SJW shit.
Then again you're not supposed to make media to shut your critics up.
>>
>>90566026
And for the most part it didn't do anything that other properties haven't done better. Jo Duffy and Christopher Priest had their moments, but for the most part Power Man and Iron Fist was only good when it realized "oh shit yeah, we can do something with K'un-Lun!"

I'm not saying you can't have it be mostly in New York, but if you don't have the budget to do more than lip service to K'Un-Lun the show is stillborn.
>>
>>90566291
>I'm not saying you can't have it be mostly in New York, but if you don't have the budget to do more than lip service to K'Un-Lun the show is stillborn.

yeah that's what's disappointing to me. We should be seeing K'un-L'un a lot, especially in an origin series. We should be seeing Yu-Ti, Lei Kung, Davos, etc. It's not that hard to create K'un-L'un on a tv budget. Marco Polo seemed fine with their stuff.
>>
>>90559039
>Disney
*Marvel Creative Comittee
>>
>>90566235

This has actually made me more worried than the negative reviews
>>
Honestly I'm surprised (call me naive) that they thought they could get away with half-assing this budget-wise. You can do that with Jessica Jones, she's just fighting a guy with mind control powers, that doesn't require much visually. And Luke Cage, well, Luke's powers have to have a bit of punch, but he's not Superman, and aside from Diamondback they could make due with standard gun-toting mook villains. All in a generic New York setting.

I honestly thought they were deliberately conserving their money to spend on Iron Fist because it damn well needs more locations, better fight choreography, flashier special effects, etc.

How the hell did they delude themselves that this would fly?
>>
>>90552273
>Misty on Cage

It would've been fine if someone put their foot down on the sex scene. like just say no to some things you idiots. Giving everyone else Danny's supporting cast was a mistake
>>
>>90556169

Nope. They thought people wanted corporate drama instead.
>>
>>90534556
Unless Iron Fist gets a second season with a different writer, director, and show runner probably not.
>>
>>90565459
>Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu
>"Latino"
You're retarded.
>>
File: 1465702523886.gif (2MB, 200x151px) Image search: [Google]
1465702523886.gif
2MB, 200x151px
>>90566235
>One good review
>Collider
>>
>>90562651
I feel you, pham. It's even more egregious when you defend Danny against what he is, rather than what he isn't, and Marvel done fucks it up away.
>>
>>90564234
Then why harp on one guy?

Well, Kung-Fu kingdom gave it a good review, but I wasn't impressed so far. Who knows, maybe it 'll look good.
>>
>>90566026
It's pretty obvious throughout this whole Iron Fist campaign thing, there are Iron Fist fans and Immortal Iron Fist Fans. To most people the beginning stories have been branded as "racist", so some won't touch.
>>
>>90566240
There would be "cultural appropriation" accusations no matter what. I believe in the Hollywood reporter article it talked about his "appropriating the culture" of K'un-Lun and they were pissed that they touched it, but at the same time that they didn't delve deep enough. And, once AGAIN they completely throw aside his K'un-Lun cultural upbringing. The "cultural appropriation" argument never worked with Danny, yet they still force and persist. I just think they were too focused on him not being the Asian-American Danny "woke" twitter kept on pitching, based on the same strawman blog post.
>>
>>90566365
Marco Polo was shot on location. The netflixverse has a contract to shoot on location in NYC. So sets.
>>
>>90566820
>Brazilian
>Not considered Latino by burger standards

It's how they call us, even if it's not something we call ourselves. It's a cultural hang up from their language, their "Latino" has a different meaning to our "Latino".
>>
>>90567601
Anyone who considers Brazil "Hispanic" is a fucking retard, regardless of nationality.
>>
>>90531085
What's the sauce on this, seems like a decently written review.
>>
>>90566235
Lmao they fucking would.
>>
>>90541573
>Io9
>calling literally anything else trash
Stones and glass houses.
>>
>>90567028
Why are you defending him? He's a bland actor and his action scenes are supposedly shit. He's literally said in interviews that he thinks action scenes are all about the cutting. Translation: he didn't put effort into the stunts. Maybe the choreographers could've done a better job but he certainly didn't fucking help.
>>
Why does everything I want turn to shit?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSgB0KYH8ew

>Great, more SJW's having a field trip
>At least there's another pattern mentioning bad acting/fight scenes/camera work etc
>It can't be that bad!
>It is that bad

And that's what they put out to make you want more.
>>
>>90558007
>When did /co/ turned into a bunch of special snowflakes who need safe spaces from ANY criticism and starts seeing EEEEVIL SJWS in anyone who even dares to say a white man show happenes to suck?

When /pol/ flooded in.
>>
>>90536986
It's literally Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, and DDS2 after the Hand showed up all over again.

Only this time, it's a white guy who isn't blind, so it's fair game to tear into.
>>
People praise Jessica Jones but it's pretty damn boring aside from a few moments. Same with Luke Cage.
I think I'll wait until I watch it.
>>
>>90529739
You made this fucking bed with all your pandering Marvel, now you've gotta lie in it.
>>
>>90559122
>i like shaky cam fight scenes
>>
Why can't SJWs ever be pleased?

White guy playing an Asian character.
>WHITE WASHING!!!

White guy playing a white martial arts character
>DIDN'T CAST AN ASIAN TO PLAY A STEREOTYPE ROLE

Asian person cast as typical mystical wise old man, samurai, martial arts character
>RACIST!!!
>>
>>90567935
Same people who wrote this in green >>90561144
>>
>>90530824
>but even with renowned kung fu cinema aficionado RZA behind the camera

This explains it all. They actually hired a dumbass rapper to be a director. No wonder it looks like it's filmed with a potato by a couple of incompetent art students.
>>
>>90529620
this is what marvel gets for pandering way too much on the SJW tumblr crowd

Disaster!
>>
I'm 90% sure that RZA directed an ep because someone working for Marvel googled "Iron fist director," saw he directed "Man with the Iron Fists" and went "holy shit, we told people he was going to direct this? How drunk were we? Quick, someone call him and get him an episode or something!"
>>
>>90531085
>One of the reasons John Wick struck a chord with the audience was that its directors knew that less is often more in the genre, and focused on making sure we could easily follow everything Keanu Reeves was doing

Wick's director was a stuntman; that's why he knew how to shoot action to make it compelling.
>>
>>90530518

I've found Marvel fans can admit if something is shit.

I've found more pushback from DC fans, when something of theirs is criticized.

Also, why the fuck would they hire someone without martial arts skills to be a martial arts-based character?
>>
>>90572536
List of good looking white actors with actual martial arts skills:

1. Young Ray Park

This concludes the list.

(Remember for Daredevil they used stunt doubles heavily)
>>
David Tennant as Killgrave pretty much carried Jessica Jones. Some pretty stinky writing overall, but he had good lines and brought some (dark) humor to the show, made it watchable. Mahershala Ali as cottonmouth and Mike Colter as Luke Cage basically carried Luke Cage. Great screen presence. Theo Rossi wasn't bad either as Shades. A weak show can be carried by one or two main characters that light up the screen. My concern is that they don't even have that going for them in Iron Fist.
>>
>>90572536
>Also, why the fuck would they hire someone without martial arts skills to be a martial arts-based character?

The real question is why wouldn't they give him a fucking costume so they could swap in a stunt double and have real fight scenes.
>>
>>90545444
>some of the posts there are actually showing disappointment in its reception
Like 1/4 of the tag is, the rest wanted this show to bomb because "m-muh white saviour!"
>>
>>90545193
I officially want this man for Dick Grayson.
>>
>>90574646
>I officially want this man for Dick
l-lewd
>>
>>90573538
>he had good lines
No, he didn't.
>humor
That humor was terrible and only established how much of a shitty joke that villain is.
>made it watchable
He made it even worse than it already is.
>>
>>90573903
>Like 1/4 of the tag is, the rest wanted this show to bomb because "m-muh white saviour!"

And Marvel did a shit tier job of handling that.

Really they should've done a Daughters of the Dragon series (or even miniseries!) before this.

But putting that aside, they dropped the ball by letting the people going "Iron Fist needs to be Asian" control the conversation and never pointing out the fucking obvious in response. Power Man and Iron Fist is the longest-running race-relations series in comics. It's about a white man and a black man that are best friends to the point of thinking of one another like brothers. It's about a black man that marries a white woman, and a white man that marries a black woman that's best friends with a half-Chinese woman. And the white dude was half-raised by people from another culture. No, you can't walk up to a comic that already had a focus on race relations and start changing the races of the characters, that's a fucking stupid suggestion that shows complete ignorance of the source material.

Marvel needed to say that (more politely, obviously), both in official responses and WITHIN THE SHOW ITSELF. But it definitely didn't in any official capacity, and it seems to have dropped the ball on that aspect within the show proper.

Don't go blaming "the SJWs" when Marvel was perfectly well equipped to correct misconceptions and diffuse this (at least to some extent) and threw gasoline on the situation instead.
>>
Look, if you can't make a good Kung Fu fight scene whats the point of making Iron Fist.

If you can't match at least 10% of the Shaw Brothers work don't even try.
>>
>>90567747
Brazilians are Latin-Americans
>>
>>90576243
>Really they should've done a Daughters of the Dragon series (or even miniseries!) before this.

Or Shang-Chi. Ya know, the actual asian kung fu master everyone wants Danny to be.
>>
>>90567747
>Anyone who considers Brazilians human is a fucking retard, regardless of nationality.
FTFY
>>
>>90562021
Theres some dudes out there in the stuntworld that can do Kung Fu or at least trying to mimic kung fu.

Martial Club is a good Stunt Team if you're looking for that.

It's a matter of saving time.
>>
Sammo Hung managed to get a Kung Fu series rolling in Martial Law

Of course Sammo Hung is way more talented in this type of shit than any Hollywood director, but if you fuck the kung fu fight scenes of your kung fu superhero why are you even being hired for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ousAyHrE9h4
>>
I really had to push through Jessica Jones and Luke Cage. I have a hard time believing Iron Fist could be any worse than them.
>>
File: oh yeah that.jpg (185KB, 500x244px) Image search: [Google]
oh yeah that.jpg
185KB, 500x244px
>>90576380
Shang can be tricky for... reasons...

Pic very fucking related.

Nah, Colleen and Misty are meant to be part of the Defenders, give them something before Iron Fist and it would have helped build up Marvel's cred for representation enough to diffuse some of the inevitable Iron Fist backlash.
>>
>>90529620
>assume all Asians know martial arts.
>Get called racist.
>Complain about a show about martial arts because the MC isn't asian
>be called defender of diversity.
I don't understand this world anymore.
>>
>>90576632
I don't understand what's wrong with Fu Manchu. He's just an evil guy who happens to be Chinese.
>>
>>90576823
rights issues.
>>
>>90576823

well for one thing it's a legal/rights issue for Marvel
>>
>>90576823
Basically, for a while in the entertainment All Asians Were Fu Manchu. They beat it pretty thoroughly into the ground.

And if you've read the original works it's not just that he's evil and happens to be Asian. He's the personification of how Asians are Yellow Devils.

So yeah, makes bringing Shang to TV trickier. Not impossible, but I'd prefer if Marvel did Daughters of the Dragon instead. Harder to fuck up.
>>
>>90576632
>>90576853
>>90576868
>>90576881
They could literally just make it the original mandarin.
>>
In this day of age of you have a bunch of hungry stunt men just waiting to get a shot.

Stahelski and Leitch got their shot and made the best comic book movie about not a comic book in John Wick, a kickass actioneer and ressurecting Keanu Reeves' career.
>>
>>90576941
That would literally be an awful idea.
>>
So wait, the show is out? I'm not seeing it anywhere on Netflix's new releases...

holy shit is it doing so badly they're embarrassed?
>>
>>90578300
it's early reviews, it comes out in a week or so
>>
>>90562520
>there might actually be a chance that the second half is better

Have you ever watched a Netflix show before? The second half NEVER redeems itself, that's where they usually starts to fall apart after a promising beginning.
>>
>>90579103
Don't worry anon. It's a Scott Buck's show.
It will make sense in the end! It will be good! The best thing ever!
If this isn't blatantly obvious for some of you, this was sarcasm and another jab at Scott Buck's promises on Dexter.
>>
>>90562608
that. was. AMAZING!!

thank you very much for linking that clip. i'm gonna have to watch this now.
>>
>>90566365
>Marco Polo seemed fine with their stuff.

Marco Polo was also super expensive to make, Iron Fist is a shoestring indy production by comparison. It's why Polo got axed at season two, it wasn't successful enough to merit another season. S2 also felt like they only renewed it because they couldn't admit that it was a dud after spending so much money on purchasing the first season.
>>
>>90568702
>using "muh /pol/" as an argument
>>
>>90568200
People have been dogging this guy for the last three years. I said I haven't been very impressed so far, but I'm willing to have my opinion changed by watching his performance myself. Why are you so quick to ride him off?
>>
>>90580252
*for the last three years without seeing anything.
>>
>>90576243
Problem was Marvel took /so/ long to cast the lead, let alone secure a showrunner. Plus, Danny being a some what esoteric character allowed time for a negative and ill informed character study to reep through social media. Blazed on via Asian-American frustrations. Then righter-wingers got in on the action, themselves misinterpreting Danny's character and I saw some making fun of AAIF, which make the situation worse. Which is ironic, because if they themselves knew Danny's character they'd call him a "Nu-male" that does Kung-Fu.

It's sad that one of the most non-racist white characters in comics, has now been branded as such.

It's kinda masterful how one strawman blog post has swindled both the (extreme) left of Fandom, and the (extreme) right. The actual character of Danny rand has gonna left behind.

I don't think the show will do any better in that regard. The revenge motivation has been stripped, which is a core.

This whole thing has me exhausted.
>>
>>90563292
Fuckin' "The Count of Monte Cristo".
>>
>>90580583

That's more of a revenge story, though. Which he ultimatelly ends up giving up on and instead sails away with his oriental waifu.
>>
>>90580548
>The revenge motivation has been stripped, which is a core

The revenge plot was also incredibly boring.
>>
>>90537295
>Luke Cage had decent action sequences.
WHEN AND WHERE?

>>90558583
>They looked believable, the impacts felt real
What impacts? In the scene where he's raiding te armory with a couch nothing feels like its actually hurting and he's just light tapping them
>>
>>90576243
Marvel are fucking stupid.
>>
>>90567456
The cultural appropriation argument works for Iron Fist as a concept.

>Man, kung fu movies are really hot right now
>Lets capitalize by making a kung fu superhero for our comics
>better make him a rich white guy though

Not that the character can't be great, there's just some baggage there that needs to be dealt with competently by the writers. From the sounds of things, this show fails at that.
>>
File: IMG_2496.jpg (1MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2496.jpg
1MB, 1988x3056px
>>90581217
>>
Other than Daredevil, aren't most Marvel fight scenes shit across the board (including the movies)?

Why were you expecting anything different?
>>
>>90581252
Daredevils fight scenes suck too.
>>
>>90581217
Why are you acting like Shang-Chi wasnt created first, or that "The Sons of the Tiger" didnt exist?
>>
>>90582048
why are you acting like Marvel actually cares about those characters
>>
have any episodes leaked?
>>
File: ulZMgJ2.jpg (124KB, 524x388px) Image search: [Google]
ulZMgJ2.jpg
124KB, 524x388px
>>
>>90581252
Because I don't know I think people are a little taken aback that a character who is supposed to be the best fighter in the Marvel universe has poor fight scenes in a show that's based off of him and that Marvel actually didn't put in any effort despite being so faithful to the comics.
>>
>>90582076
Of course not.
>>
>>90558007
Turning it around doesn't work, you know.
>>
Wanted an Iron Fist show, about to get served shit.

Well, atleast i can skip out paying for Netflix for a month to marathon something in 2 days.
>>
>>90582063
Because they do with Shang Chi, or at least they did. He was far more popular than Iron Fist and his series ran for 115 issues compared to Iron Fist's 26.

The main reason they don't use him more is his supporting cast is tied up with the rights to the Fu Manchu series of novels that marvel doesn't have the rights to internationally.
>>
>>90582114
I don't think anything in the MCU is particularly faithful to the comics.
>>
File: IT WAS ME, BARRY, PEPE.gif (366KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IT WAS ME, BARRY, PEPE.gif
366KB, 600x600px
>Some SJW American Korean bitch telling me, a gook ass Korean fucker currently in Korea watching shit and blood flying everywhere now, that she is triggered about Iron Fist and so are all asians she know

Korean Americans are whiny arrogant fucks
>>
>>90573538
>Mike Colter as Luke Cage
colter was the worst part after diamondback, he doesn't have the charisma to be a lead actor
>>
>>90582715
If I use ak-47 am I culturally apropriating the russians?
>>
>>90582202
Just make his dad the real Mandarin and work from that.
>>
>>90583557
Depends on who you shoot.
>>
>>90576243
I legitimacy think Marvel thought this would just blow over. I'm pretty sure in PR class they tell you not to react to every to every single random blog post or twitter complaint. Thing is because representation is such a thing (as it should be really), and now "cultural appropriate" is now a hot topic issue, that combined with call out culture is what caused this. No body complaining paused to see whether they were correct, there were too many personal feelings involved.

Finn jones was asked about it, and it was a classy response. He didnt dismiss AA issues/frustrations with the project. People who were convinced Danny Rand is a WS were gonna think that irreguardless of what's in the TV show.

Re: DotD: Marvel decided Misty was gonna be in Luke Cage, so Colleen was gonna be in Iron Fist, already split.
>>
File: 1488080091377.jpg (34KB, 200x201px) Image search: [Google]
1488080091377.jpg
34KB, 200x201px
>>90529739
>"problematic source material"
>"as far as diversity, representation, and appropriation go"

Just tell me if the fight scenes and story are good and if there really is no costume fucks sake
>>
>>90567747
latino and hispanic are different things. Brazilians arent hispanic but they are Latin Americans.
>>
>>90551407
LOL triggered af
>>
>>90529858
This is unironically true.
>>
>>90534711
I would totally start a business where I sell things named after superheros
>>
>>90586397
You'd get hit with lawsuits faster than you could blink.
>>
It's weird how people say is "problematic" that Danny isn't asian when asians hate being typecasted as martial artists in media.
Thread posts: 490
Thread images: 40

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.