[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>fire powers How hard is it to have fire powers and actually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 57
Thread images: 2

File: pyro.jpg (38KB, 712x427px) Image search: [Google]
pyro.jpg
38KB, 712x427px
>fire powers

How hard is it to have fire powers and actually use them for good? We all know the Human Torch, but if he realistically used those powers on people he would be maiming them for life with awful third degree burns
>>
>>90482189
Well then those people shouldn't commit crime I guess
Sounds like a great deterrent desu
>>
>>90482189
Well as Rogue shows in that movie, he can also take heat out of things. Ie make people virtually freeze to death by stealing their body heat. Sucking all the fire out of a burning building, etc etc.
>>
>>90482189
basically, you get a welding job or work for the military.
>>
Its "Comic book fire"
>>
>>90482217
Yeah, just like the death penalty.
>>
>>90482189
What about Storm, whose power is summoning lightning?

Or Wolverine, whose power is having unbreakable knives grow out of his hands?
>>
>>90482300
Storm controls the weather, she doesn't exclusively shoot lightning (even if that's what's the most flashy). Using the rain, using winds and typhoons, using hail and ice, etc. are all part of her powerset.

Wolverine's power is his healing factor. The Adamantium is bound to his skeleton, so even without using his indestructible claws, his physical strength and punching power is still higher than regular individuals.

X-Men generally go up against people who kill mutants and shit, though, so both heroes here killing people is pretty common.
>>
Fire is an inherently destructive power, you just can't really use it for good things unless it's comic book fire.
>>
>>90482300
Wolverine is perfectly fine with killing people, and when with people not ok with that he generally serves as the tank

Storm has all kinds of weather powers though, right? She can benefit from her powers in non lethal or gruesome ways
>>
>>90482189
only if he sets them on fire

setting things around them on fire, or magically controlling his already magical fire so that it forms barriers to movement but doesn't burn the city down, well shit

guess his powers are fine
>>
>>90482228
I'm not sure he could actually suck heat out of things. It was more like controlling the flames to stop burning.
>>
>>90482189
Just become a firefighter, why does everyone with superpowers need to punch bank robbers?
>>
>>90482621
Because nobody wants to read or watch stories about some guy sitting around eating chili and occasionally saving a cat from a house or wielding a hose
>>
>>90482189
Thug life?
More like
BURNT 4 life.
>>
He can only control existing fire, right?
He would make a great firefighter. Just suck it up or redirect it or something.
>>
>>90482668

Nigga have you seen Rescue Me? The last two seasons were shit but the first few were gold.

If Dennis Leary would have had fire powers instead of the power to see dead people and Jesus it would still have worked.
>>
>>90482189

Become a firefighter or deal with big forest fires. He doesn't create the flame, he controls it. So he can make normally dangerous fires self-extinguish.

It may not be as fancy or flashy as punching a supervillain in the face, but it does save a lot of lives and property.
>>
>>90482668
If I could draw I would test that theory.
>>
>>90482621
How'd that work out, it's like writing a average Joe bein a hero in a superhero comic.
Like putting his life in danger for saving others, putting a display of civil courage, defend his mother against drunk father, etc. Would that work out?
>>
>>90482189
Well, I've read that forest rangers might set things on fire to counteract other forest fires. Using fire powers for good I'd imagine would make you a handy rescue worker, creating signal fires, campfires and using heat control to keep stranded people alive.
>>
>>90482189
I'm currently in a Mutants and Masterminds game and my character primarily has fire control powers.

Fire control lets you manipulate heat and flame, much like the comics it's taken from. Currently I can toss lethal fire bolts and fire balls, non lethal versions relying on sudden explosive concussive bursts, I can make sudden intense arc flashes to blind people, generate smoke clouds for obscuring cover, nullify flames in an area to put them out (really useful), and melt objects into slag.
Much of what the character can do is what we've seen fire users or heat users toss around in comics, and it's pretty simple to attack an enemy without getting a kill result if that's what you're after.
>>
>>90482189
I'd say that works for other powers like ice too though, being flah frozen in a block of ice tends to be pretty bad for your health.
>>
File: 1466638043353.jpg (8KB, 236x236px) Image search: [Google]
1466638043353.jpg
8KB, 236x236px
>>90482189
>Character has fire powers
>Impulsive and usually jerks with red/orange clothing and hair
>Ice or water powers
>Is calm and collected with blue hair/clothes
Anyone else tired of this? Pokemon with team Magma and Aqua at least subverted the personalities thing
>>
>>90482761
There are ways to write about having weird powers without it constantly being sock'em bop'em with costumed villains.
>>
>>90483104
Are there examples of the opposite?
>>
>>90483145
Anon they just said Pokemon. Archie is boisterous and "hot headed" while Maxie is cool and collected
>>
>>90482189
Easy. Harry fucking Dresden.
>>
>>90483145
Iceman? I wouldn't call him calm and collected, and he's only blue when he turns to ice.
>>
>>90482853
The question is whether realistically one could create "non-lethal sudden explosive concussive bursts" as fireballs that wouldn't still badly burn people it was near enough to suddenly explosively concuss.
>>
>>90483104
>earth/rock powers
>they're never MC
Feels bad. I would like to see it explored more
>>
>>90483104

>IT IS I, THE WEST SIDE DISCO EVIL TEAM WITH ENVIRONMENTAL OPINIONS
>NOT SO FAST WEST SIDE, FOR WE, EAST SIDE DISCO EVIL TEAM WILL STOP YOU, AND REALISE OUR OWN ENVIRONMENTAL OPINIONS

Those guys were great.

>>90483145

Frozone. Dude has no chill.
>>
>>90482391
Infinite heat = infinite power

You could solve global warming overnight.
>>
>>90483104

bionicle made them both jerks. Tahu was a hotheaded, impulsive asshole and Kopaka was a cold, cynical asshole. At least they ended this trend by the time the toa inika came around.
>>
>>90483145

In the legend of Korra Mako is calm and collected while Korra is hotheaded and impulsive. But that may not count, because while she's water tribe Korra tended to use fire bending the most.
>>
>>90483929
If I remember right,
>Pohatu = ultimate bro that everyone gets along with
>Lewa = impulsive and always getting in trouble, except in the first movie where he's a wise talk-to-animals type for some reason
>Gali = the girl, more "mature" but in practice mostly arrogant and above it all
>Onua = the "older" one, reserved and wise, except in the movie where he's Pohatu 2.0
>>
>>90483356
we're talking about Marvel comics, where Dazzler was able to toss out 'solid light photon' bolts at people to knock them over rather than fry them with lasers.
Let's add to that both Thor and Storm merely 'stunning' a foe with their lightning, rather than incinerating them, and good old Captain America with his shield having an identity crisis of having a razor sharp edge with some attacks or merely having a rounded, blunt edge - depending on if a rope or cable needs to be sliced or a bunch of Hydra goons need to be knocked out with ricochet action.

The OP posted a Movie image with the question, which might imply a desire to remain in a realistic movie / real world setting with physics, but I suppose I answered my question more involving the comics world and the physics used there.
>>
>>90484419
>We all know the Human Torch, but if he realistically used those powers on people
>if he realistically used those powers

Yeah, what I was getting was a definite sense of "is it possible to use fire non-lethally to be a hero?" and I just don't know that realistically you can hit people with fireballs and not expect them to be badly burned.

It's certainly true that you can be exposed to flame and not burnt, and a lot of that has to do with ambient air temperature around you, length of exposure, your clothing or other such things, so it's hard to say. Cool flame that sits below 400 degrees Celsius definitely exists so it depends on whether your superpower for fire allows you to lower flame to that temperature or just control the movements of hot flame.

Obviously in comics its really easy to be non-lethal with fire though.
>>
>>90482228
Isn't that like Killer Frost's power?
>>
Y'all need to read some Golden Age Human Torch, they give him tons of creative uses for his powers.
>>
>>90482391
Burning overgrown wood in a forest, to help clear for new growth.
>>
>>90487304
Like what? Examples pls?

>>90484605
Cool flame exists?

Interesting...

>>90484419
I think OP was going for how, in the X-men movies, Pyro was at best, a hothead, and at worst, a supervillain.
>>
Camping guide.
>>
>>90482189
>Go to bad guys hideout
>Block the doors
>Set it on fire
You don't even need superpowers
>>
>>90487977
But we're trying to be nonlethal here, Pyro. This is why Rogue prefers Iceman.

Also:

>bad guys have fire extinguishers

>now you're surrounded by people with guns

>plus some supervillains

>also, the police want to arrest you for arson
>>
>>90482189

I don't remember Wheeler ever igniting any litterbugs.
>>
>>90483929
>>90484161
Basically, without Brohatu joking around Gali and Onua wouldn't be able to keep the team together. Onua is too passive and Gali is unwilling to compromise when she knows she's right, so we need a chill bro to keep together a hot head, an asshole, and a kid playing along.

I will say though, I did like how the Toa Metru messed with the personalities. Sure, Nokama was just as condescending as Gali and Matau was still a man child like Lewa, but at least Onewa was the asshole, Nuju was the quiet one, Whenua I think was the smart one, and Vakama was the weird loner that somehow was leader.
>>
>>90489336

Honestly the toa Metru were all kind of assholes. Onewa and Vakama were definately the worst though.
>>
>>90489336

Really the only Toa of Fire that made sense as team leader was Jaller. Neither Tahu or Vakama were leadership material.
>>
I like how in avatar the fire bending became a joke once you realized it never actually connected with anyone because a kids show couldn't have characters constantly getting burns. I think Aang accidentally burning Katara's hands is the only time we actually saw fire burn someone.
>>
>>90489614
In Vakama's defense, he was literally crosswired- his visions came from a malfunction in his brain. Now, there was debate some years ago on how legitimate his visions were. I've elected to go with the idea that the visions originated from the powerful thoughts of others (mainly Mata Nui and Makuta), creating a compromise that legitimize the visions as credible but maintain the fact that Matoran were a cross between worker drones and red blood cells.

I also say that Su-Matoran (Plasma) have eyes resistant to bright lights rather than stupid resistance to heat and sunlight, and that Ba-Matoran (Gravity) have a superior sense of balance instead of fucking 'resistance to high gravity pressure' bullshit.
>>
>>90482189
How do their clothes not burn off?
>>
>>90482359
>his physical strength and punching power is still higher than regular individuals

I've been curious about this. If wolverine has the ability to heal rapidly then wouldn't that prevent him from developing any kind of muscle or additional strength? Muscle and strength develops by straining the muscle (stretching it, if you will). If Wolerine's body heals completely after enduring any kind of strain, then wouldn't that prevent him from becoming any stronger than he already is?

Also I figured out why Wolverine has that name. The Wolverine in Nature is called "The Glutton" because it can eat a ton of food at one time. Wolverine can take massive amounts of damage and still go on. So Logan is a "Glutton for Punishment"
>>
>>90489679
Remember that Jaller was Captain of the Ta-Koro Guard- of course he'd be a good leader. Vakama had his visions to guide the team and after being proven right a couple times the rest followed his lead.

Tahu I'm not sure, aside from the fact that the red toy sells best and thus has to be front and center. He has the only personality that is both assertive and productive. Lewa and Kopaka are assertive but far from productive, while Gali and Onua are productive but not assertive enough. Pohatu is very middle of the road personality wise and is the glue that keeps the team together, as well as the fact that the weird shaped brown/orange/yellow figure always sells the worst.
>>
>>90482189
re-light pilot lights
Use it to cook food for the homeless
Use it to light fires on cold winter nights for homeless
Become a forest fire fighter (There's a technique used to start another fire to burn out a bigger forest fire)
If you can control all fire regardless of whether you started it or not, you could smother a house fire or a forest fire or anything
Basically become a Firefighter
>>
>>90490084
Pohatu was always my favorite. Though it kind of bothered me how Stone and Earth were two different Elements
>>
>>90482730
> rescue me
> about firefighting
> not about sex escapades
Thread posts: 57
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.