[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rob Liefeld is a terrible ar-

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 13

File: deadpool_bad_blood_ogn_cover.jpg (543KB, 860x1279px) Image search: [Google]
deadpool_bad_blood_ogn_cover.jpg
543KB, 860x1279px
Rob Liefeld is a terrible ar-
>>
>>90446187
-tist.
>>
That colorist really worked his ass off to polish a turd.
>>
>>90446220
This.
>>
>>90446220
spbp
>>
File: Capture.jpg (17KB, 182x186px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
17KB, 182x186px
Both his arms look too short, also this wrist
>>
The dude doing Thunderbolts now is worse than Rob.
>>
>>90446341
This is true, but he doesn't have clout like Liefeld so it's not really that relevant. You compare Rob to his peers not literally whos.
>>
>>90446187
hate on him has always been overblown.
>>
>>90446392
Nope.

http://art-swipes.tumblr.com/tagged/Rob-Liefeld
http://www.cbr.com/rob-liefeld-unleashed-creator-targets-scott-snyder-tom-brevoort/
http://www.ocweekly.com/news/rob-liefeld-shoots-on-alan-moore-6481728
https://www.bleedingcool.com/2012/01/23/so-was-deal-infinite-anyway/
>>
>>90446187
>Shatterstar

For fuck's sake leave him alone.
>>
>>90446187
>T-rex arms
>>
File: Lolfeld.jpg (587KB, 1280x956px) Image search: [Google]
Lolfeld.jpg
587KB, 1280x956px
>>90446392
As a person, Rob's always been a cool dude. But his art's been ridiculed for a long time now for very valid reasons. It's not the guy himself people hate on.

Although, with the Deadpool movie being a success he's become much more confrontational recently and likes to shit on DC and praise Marvel for any minor reason. It's like he's trying to curry favor with the Marvel fans because of the character and is unfortunately buying into their console war bullshit, which he never really engaged in much in the past.

He also has a habit of taking lots of credit for creating his characters which took off and acting like a genius, which pretty much universally needed other creatives to actually make them good.
>>
>>90446187
>visible feet

Not Liefeld, just a very coy Skrull impersonator.
>>
>>90446593
>likes to shit on DC and praise Marvel for any minor reason
But that's fucking wrong, he was one of the first to sing praises of Rebirth.
>>
File: 1434765634262.png (155KB, 400x297px) Image search: [Google]
1434765634262.png
155KB, 400x297px
>>90446593
>As a person, Rob's always been a cool dude. But his art's been ridiculed for a long time now for very valid reasons. It's not the guy himself people hate on.
>>
>>90446220
Liefeld-style art has always been extremely colorist dependent. That's why despite actually looking decent in the 90s, his art and others with similar styles went to absolute shit in the 00s and 10s because modern colorists are too reliant on godawful digital coloring and gradiants. You need to have that sweet, sweet crosshatching to make their art really pop.
>>
>>90446593
Well it doesn't help that DC editorial fucked him over something fierce with the New 52 to the point that he left and burned every bridge he could with them on the way out whereas he's still on good terms with Marvel's editorial staff.
>>
>>90447012
>durrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr modern coloring is bad
Kill yourself.
>>
>>90447048
It's bad for 90s-style art. Anyone who isn't blind can tell. It works fine for more contemporary art styles because they're done with that type of coloring in mind and vice-versa, but for 90s-style art where the colorist had to pick up a lot of the slack and the art relied on that grungy cross-hatch filled shading to really make the art pop ends up looking like plastic-y garbage when given to a modern digital colorist.
>>
>>90446187
He's still shit at drawing feet I see
>>
File: Liefeld On DC.png (38KB, 640x376px) Image search: [Google]
Liefeld On DC.png
38KB, 640x376px
>>90446923
That was then, before the Deadpool success set in. He's been going at it relentlessly since the summer. He's at the point where he even retweeted Bleeding Cool's January sales figures last month since it said Marvel was beating DC, but inside the article was really critical of the numbers because of all the overshipping. He can't even be bothered to actually read the article and just needed the headline he linked to continue pushing against DC.
>>
Sorry, Rob, but that still looks like shit.
>>
>>90446187
Look, he has his moments but he truly is shit. It's cool to see someone so comfortable in their own style but so often he just makes these amateurish mistakes and everyone knows how he doesn't give a shit about anatomy. Guys like 90s-current Jim Lee and Todd McFarlane are in the same vein stylistically but not shit and Lee samefaces just as much as Liefeld does these days. Also his work on The Infinite was tolerable, though that can be more so attributed to the colourist.

I'll give him credit for the fact that he's seemingly a fucking cataclysmic force of creativity.
>>
>>90447323
>Nrama: You’ve been quoted in the past as saying that Rob is “the modern-day equivalent of Jack Kirby”. Can you tell us how that notion came to you, and what things you’re doing in The Infinite to take advantage of that?

>Kirkman: I’m aware that my comment has been a polarizing one for fans. Jack Kirby is Jack Kirby, and comparing anyone to him is controversial. But what I was trying to say was that when Rob came to Marvel, he re-imagined everything he did – just as Kirby brought new ideas to everything he did. When he signed on to do New Mutants, he added new characters, changed the focus and turned it into X-Force. He improved what was there before by adding new ideas.

You can’t dispute the fact that Cable and Deadpool are the only complete new iconic characters created in the last 20 years there. I don’t see anyone else with that lasting power. And aside from those two, he’s created over 150 characters for Marvel – he’s always doing something new. When he did a stint on Wolverine, he created an entire group of characters that hasn’t been used since. That’s thing Rob does, and Rob is the only guy qualified to be compared to Jack Kirby in that aspect. I can’t name any one person that fits the bill better than him.

I’m not saying that he’s more important to comics as Kirby; I don’t think anyone, even Rob, would say that. But looking at the pure creativity and volume of characters, no one comes close to him in creating new things.

And that’s without mentioning rob’s art style, which became one of the most copied styles in the medium. He art style became a movement.

Nrama: When his first issues of New Mutants came out I remember tracing those illustrations as a teen.

Kirkman: [laughs] I did the same thing.
>>
>>90446187
Nobody said he was terrible.
Just terribly lazy.
>>
>>90447580
>Nobody said he was terrible.
Speak for yourself.
>>
This is the only genuinely good art of his I have ever seen that doesn't have some big glaring mistake/issue within it
>>
>>90448021
can anyone explain as to why all of his art isn't like this? Is he really just that much of a fucking lazy shit?
>>
>>90446509
But SOMEBODY has to un-gay him!
>>
His anatomy can get pretty wonky, and even at his best his style isn't my cup of tea, but I'll take a dud who earnestly, albeit badly, draws shit he thinks is cool over any number of lazy poser tracers
>>
>>90448021
time. Not everyone can do an outline first try. This looks like he built it from small lines into a full product. To do quick art you have to draw the outline first and then work down to details. This is like pointalism, you start at the details and make a full picture.

This is the only way I can draw well actually, but it's takes a lot of fucking time.
>>
>>90446220
He deserves a raise.
>>
File: images.jpg (6KB, 274x184px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
6KB, 274x184px
>>90448021
>This is the only genuinely good art of his I have ever seen that doesn't have some big glaring mistake/issue within it
>>90448153
>can anyone explain as to why all of his art isn't like this?
It's Liefeld's version of the Greg Land Special.
>>
>>90448265
>time. Not everyone can do an outline first try. This looks like he built it from small lines into a full product. To do quick art you have to draw the outline first and then work down to details. This is like pointalism, you start at the details and make a full picture.
>>90448292
Fucking LOL.
>>
>>90448153
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPhlWKi9uKQ
>>
>>90448153
Laziness + not using references. He clearly used some sort of screencap/photo reference for this >>90448021 but he draws his normal stuff from imagination. Using references can make the quality of any drawing skyrocket, especially when you're in that beginner artist stage where your visual library is really poor and you haven't practiced anatomy/shapes/perspective/etc enough.
>>
>>90446220
Based Fajardo Jr.
>>
>>90448519
>Fajardo Jr.
Gee that fucker gets around. Love his work though
>>
>>90448365
Well, I guess we know how he's going to die then, huh?

And, speaking of Rob Liefeld on Youtube.

NEVER FORGET: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LJhoa2SVGNA
>>
>>90447048
Most of it is, yes. Especially Marvel who really only has two styles of colorists: flat or gradient heavy.
>>
>>90448541
He did great with Omega Men and Midnighter. He also does coloring for Wonder Woman, no?

I feel like good colorists are few and far between for the Big Two so it's good that he gets a lot of work.
>>
>>90448563
>Most of it is, yes
Cool meme!
>>
>>90448553
Spike Lee's greatest work
>>
>>90448365
holy shit...what a trooper
>>
File: 1487936203308.jpg (71KB, 573x273px) Image search: [Google]
1487936203308.jpg
71KB, 573x273px
>>90448365
GOOD FUCKING GOD
>>
>>90448365
Don't draw and drive kids.
>>
>>90448553
Schway

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmLFGWAyajU
>>
File: clapping commences.jpg (114KB, 439x416px) Image search: [Google]
clapping commences.jpg
114KB, 439x416px
>>90446593
>could never surrender
>surrendered Civil War to Stark a few months earlier
>>
>>90448642
Not an argument.
>>
>>90448847
HOLY FUCK!!!! FUCKING WRECKED!
>>
>>90448847
Goddamn, Stan the Pitiless Man.
>>
>>90446963
Yes? I'm waiting.
>>
File: Stryfe.jpg (480KB, 1241x1600px) Image search: [Google]
Stryfe.jpg
480KB, 1241x1600px
I love 90's Liefled for what he is, a super enthusiastic amateur. He was like 19 when he started New Mutants

Heroes Reborn and everything after is what I can't stand
>>
>>90449879
Tiny feet aside, I love how he's got one of them on the boarder of another panel.
>>
>>90449879
>Short, fat woman with purple hair.

You can tell Stryfe is from the future, because he's got Tumblr with him in 1990.
>>
>>90446187
Is that Cable in the background or does Liefeld just like drawing guys with laser eyes?
>>
>>90450132
>Thumbelina
>Tumblrina
You may be onto something here, anon...
>>
>>90450176
Both.
>>
File: liefeld.png (244KB, 334x285px) Image search: [Google]
liefeld.png
244KB, 334x285px
Eyes are uneven too.

Congrats OP for not knowing anything about art and thinking Liefeld was the one who made this look good instead of his colorist.
>>
>>90448642
Are you going to argue that Marvel generally has good or even competent colorists?
>>
>>90450641
they had amazing ones in the early 2000s

currently, not really, but don't retroactively blame all marvels history
>>
>>90448292
>>90448327

Wait, so he used a REFERENCE instead of drawing Ryan Reynolds FROM MEMORY????

What a hack!
>>
>>90449879
This. I can't get behind his Heroes Reborn art, but New Mutants, X-Force, and Youngblood (and spinoffs) were always really cool to me.

And, really, he did co-create my favorite X-Men character. I can't shit on the man with a clean conscience. Hell, I want him to autograph a military surplus pouch for me one day.
>>
>>90450352
>Eyes are uneven too.

you are retarded, they look fine and uneven is ok in that angle, its meant to be that way.
>>
>>90451269
t. bad artist
>>
>>90451372
>oh no the eyes are at a 92 degree angle
you are trying too hard
>>
http://www.progressiveboink.com/2012/4/21/2960508/worst-rob-liefeld-drawings
>>
>>90448888
Meaning Loeb knows how Captain America should be as opposed to Millar?

Of course then Loeb screwed up Ultimate Cap, but then again Ultimate Cap is so far off from regular Cap and MCU Cap anyway.
>>
You know how you can tell no one in this thread knows a goddamn thing about coloring?

When they use the term "gradiant." It's called "airbrush" you knobs.
>>
>>90451502
I hate that list because the writer clearly doesn't read comics and his jokes are extremely unfunny.
>>
File: Alex Ross New Avengers.jpg (125KB, 2450x1508px) Image search: [Google]
Alex Ross New Avengers.jpg
125KB, 2450x1508px
>>90451241
>Wait, so he used a REFERENCE instead of drawing Ryan Reynolds FROM MEMORY????
>What a hack!
Don't be a fag. Alex Ross uses references and that's to get the fine details like the way cloth folds just right. Pic is what he can do completely freehand and as just a conceptual layout. Don't act like what Land and what Liefeld did here is anywhere near comparable.
>>
>>90452773
Think it's pretty obvious they're being facetious, m8.
>>
File: h and d carlin note.png (188KB, 277x320px) Image search: [Google]
h and d carlin note.png
188KB, 277x320px
Fun Fact: During one of his first big gigs at DC on Hawk & Dove in the 80's, he drew one issue completely landscape style, as in you would have to turn the issue on its side to read it. The editor Mike Carlin had to rearrange and cut the panels as best he could to make them fit. Here's inker Karl Kesel's story about it.

>Yes, Rob did draw the entire Chaos Dimension sequence sideways or “landscape” style. He did this without consulting anyone. I’m sure Rob saw this as cool and different and exciting, but the editor, Mike Carlin, was not quite as thrilled.

>By the time we reached the last issue of the mini-series, Rob’s sights were clearly on other horizons. He had gotten later and later on deadlines…The Chaos Dimension sequence seemed to be the last straw for Carlin. As I remember it, Mike called me up to tell me that Rob had drawn the sequence sideways for no good reason, and that he (Carlin) was going to cut-and-paste it (using xeroxes) into a readable form and send those to me. Which he did. I lightboxed them onto DC paper and inked them.

>By the way: Rob did NOT draw the dimension sideways because that’s how it had been drawn the only other time it had been shown. THIS was the first time it had been shown– Barbara and I created it for this story.

>Mike Carlin once said of Rob: “He has it. He just doesn’t have it yet.” And I couldn’t agree more. Rob is one of the most energetic and charming people I’ve ever met– you can’t help but like him– and at the time of H&D his work showed great potential. But success came far too quickly and easily to him, and he never felt the need to develop that potential. Which is really too bad, because if he did I’m certain he would have left a very different mark on the industry. Not that things worked out that badly for him…

Here's a note by Carlin that appeared in the last issue of the mini.
Thread posts: 74
Thread images: 13

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.