[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Voltron: Why is he made out of five Earth animals?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 8

File: Red_Lion_leaping.png (372KB, 1000x725px) Image search: [Google]
Red_Lion_leaping.png
372KB, 1000x725px
Started watching Voltron today.

Is there a canonical reason why alien super-weapons are lions, a distinct species of animal on Earth? I can see hand-waving everyone speaking English as MAGIC TECHNOLOGY and the use of the word "paladins" as something like a translation from "noble warriors" from Earth culture into Altean, but the robots actually physically resemble lions, so it can't be a translation thing.

It's especially jarring because Coran constantly references stuff like Altean food, history, animals, and their calendar, none of which are the same as Earth. And yet... lions.

Just curious if the show cares that much about its lore or if its just a fun ride.
>>
>>90408219
>the use of the word "paladins" as something like a translation from "noble warriors" from Earth culture into Altean

There you go. Do the same with lions. They're the closest earth word that Coran can come up with.

It's just a fun ride. Thankfully it's very fun.
>>
Lion Spirits were the first species of the universe and seeded all life bearing planets with organisms that would inevitably create a version of "lions". Just so they wouldn't have to explain themselves.
>>
>>90408219
A lot of this story depends on suspension of disbelief, and focusing more on what you like than poking holes in all the handwaving the show does. Just keep in mind they handwave that stuff for your benefit, so they can focus on telling the story they want to tell without a ton of set up and stoppin to explain every detail along the way.
>>
File: Ch-4dUyXEAAzjVZ.jpg (26KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Ch-4dUyXEAAzjVZ.jpg
26KB, 480x360px
>>90408219
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ugebzq3juE
>>
File: voltron-998x716.jpg (115KB, 998x716px) Image search: [Google]
voltron-998x716.jpg
115KB, 998x716px
>>90408302
Except they also *look* exactly like lions. And Coran calls them "lions" despite using Altean words for all the other Altean animals he mentions.

Some cartoons offer a reasoning like
>>90408520
which reminds me of what Star Trek TNG did.

>>90408582
>>90408691
I'm cool with shows that do not offer such answers; just wondered if Voltron had any "official" reason or if it's just a fun reboot.

So far I am enjoying it well enough. It features some surprising VA talent. I recognized Rhys Darby and Steven Yeun immediately.
>>
>>90408219
Why do Alteans look exactly like humans with pointy ears?
How does everyone speak the same language without some sort of universal translator?
How can Galra and humans reproduce when they're two completely different species from different galaxies?
It's a fucking kids show about giant robots fighting, some things are going to be inconsistent.
>>
Clearly there are species of space lions that look just like our lions, just like how there are space people that look exactly like humans except with pointy ears. Maybe their lions really do come in blues and greens and other weird colors or something.
>>
>>90409030
I'm cool with it being inconsistent. I just wanted to know if it *was* inconsistent, because sometimes shows offer interesting tidbits like
>>90409069 came up with.
>Maybe their [space] lions really do come in blues and greens and other weird colors or something.
>>
>>90408219
Look, you're trying way too hard to dig deep into a show that was originally reversioned from an anime. Just accept it and move on.
>>
>>90408219

Altean lions are different than ours in that they come in a variety of colors and have the ability to fire laser beams from various orifices
>>
>>90408219
Clearly aliens have been coming to Earth for millenia, saw the lions and kept some

That's how they got Kaltenecker
>>
File: But why do-.jpg (48KB, 780x439px) Image search: [Google]
But why do-.jpg
48KB, 780x439px
>>
File: Voltron-Red-Lion-Keith.jpg (199KB, 2700x1800px) Image search: [Google]
Voltron-Red-Lion-Keith.jpg
199KB, 2700x1800px
>>90408219
Who's the best kitty and why is it the Red Lion?
>>
>>90411888
Red Lion was great... when Lance was the pilot.
>>
File: Aliens.png (535KB, 876x556px) Image search: [Google]
Aliens.png
535KB, 876x556px
>>90408219
>>
>>90411942
I don't remember the lions having a personality from the 80's show.
>>
File: My-vehicle-voltron-flat.jpg (61KB, 598x800px) Image search: [Google]
My-vehicle-voltron-flat.jpg
61KB, 598x800px
>>90408219
Well, there's that other Voltron.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.