[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

John K is looking for (good) cartoonists

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 7

Will working with him not suck this time?
Can he prove he's not a hack?
Is Cans Without Labels ever going to be finished?

I hope it works out this time. Though I guess Cans must be in the background right now, this must be another bigger project.
>>
sauce?
>>
>>90406623
fac ebook com/john.kricfalusi.5 /photos /a.342338955921402. 1073741825.342338899254741/ 777167605771866/ ?type =3
>>
File: 1483287200922.jpg (45KB, 444x380px) Image search: [Google]
1483287200922.jpg
45KB, 444x380px
>>90406215
Also, is it going to contain any daddy issues?
>>
Am I the only one who doesn't care much about John K.?

The man can draw, but there's something about his drawings that feels... souless? They're all just a bunch of random, unconnected concepts. It feels as if they were made with spite in mind.
>>
>>90407023
/co/ as a whole really hates him.

He's my favorite, personally.
>>
God bless em, hope we can get something good out of him.

His best work was the gap commercials.
>>
>>90407100
I don't hate him. I don't like him either. He's pretty interesting at the very least. I like his advice but don't really give a shit about his criticisms. But he wasn't the only one giving out those criticisms.

There was nearly an entire decade of bloggers just shitting on everything that happened in the past 20+ years of animation. For some reason they all hated each other and like they're particular take on why Golden Age animation beat all other kinds was better than anyone else's. So John K was hardly the only one. He was just the loudest and the only one with any sort of mainstream credibility to his name.
>>
>>90406215
What the fuck is that black girl's left arm.
>>
>>90407278
John K's art style is becoming more unstable as time goes on
>>
He's just hunting for more hot young female artists to creep on.
>>
So are the cartoonists going to work for "exposure" or will John give out some of that kickstarter money as pay?
>>
>>90406215
i-is. is that a living panty hose?
>>
>>90407278
>>90407522
Do you autists not understand what cartooning is?
>>
>>90407859
there's a difference between fucking with a characters arm for a joke like in your pic and then whatever the fuck John K drew you retard
>>
>>90406215
This fucking loser has decades worth of contacts and connections and he needs to resort to shitty call-outs on his blog to exploit young artists looking to work for next to nothing because he was unable to keep up yet again with his schedule for a backed project that was only suppose to be a couple minutes long?

Fuck this guy.
>>
>>90407859
Except that shot is a very specific moment where the joke is that a muscle which usually bulges upward flapped down because he's so weak. That isn't what Bugs default arm looks like when he's walking around.
>>
>>90408047
I thought he always looked for new talent, he hates regular animation schools so he looks for the "(good) cartoonists". His blog has always ranted about it.
>>
>>90408130
Except he has enough cartoonist friends that he's still in contact with that he could easily collaborate with them if he wanted. A lot of them are old guys who aren't exactly booming with work right now and could probably take months off to just animate. But because John K has been known to have a weird fetish with being the mentor and taking advantage of younger artists who will do immense amounts of work for next to nothing, he'd rather exploit them because an aspiring cartoonist would kill to work for the guy who made Ren and Stimpy.
>>
>>90408201
>the guy who made Ren and Stimpy
Do they teach about John K in animation schools? Because I feel like otherwise it's going to start being harder and harder to find people who know/care about this as the years go on
>>
>>90408544
By the time the next generation of cartoonists grow up not knowing who John K is, he'll be dead and not have to worry about it.

Spumco is a pretty important part in modern animation history, so it seems unlikely.
>>
>>90407023
You just don't understand man, characters with actual skeleton structures and normal expressions AREN'T CARTOOOOONS.
>>
>>90408621
>actual skeleton structures
He's an adamant proponent of solid construction.

>normal expressions
You mean generic Disney faces or one raised eyebrow?
>>
>>90408618
>Spumco is a pretty important part in modern animation history
Is it taught as a cautionary tale?
>>
>>90407100
I don't like him because I think he's a narrow-minded bigot with an extremely limited idea of what animation should be.
>>
>>90408744
No more than Don Bluth is.
>>
File: anime2withcolor.jpg (226KB, 1600x1481px) Image search: [Google]
anime2withcolor.jpg
226KB, 1600x1481px
>>90407023
I personally can't stand how so many of his chicks have that fucked-up spine+pigeon-toed look.
>>
>>90408778
>John K thinks this is sexy
>>
>>90408798
How often do you think John jerks it to his own work?

I say once a week. I mean, he is old after all
>>
>>90407023
Yeah, there's something oddly bitter about his overly-cartoon and mishapen drawings, almost like he's trying to angrily parody some other style of cartoon or something. Even when they smile or show happiness, half the time it seems passive-agressive or unintentionally creepy. I don't know what it is. It worked well with Ren and Stimpy's dark humour because it fit with the nature of the show, and broke the mold at the time, but it's really not something I could see being a benefit in any other setting, and dark comedy kind of humour is sort of a novelty, anyways.

He seems like a one trick pony to me. I'm just sick of looking at his shit and hearing about his elitism. Just like that pretentious fuck who made Invader Zim. They're both full of themselves
>>
NEVER

THE

SAME

FACE

TWICE

:^)
>>
>>90408778
This is cute.
>>
>>90408201
>Except he has enough cartoonist friends that he's still in contact with that he could easily collaborate with them if he wanted. A lot of them are old guys who aren't exactly booming with work right now and could probably take months off to just animate. But because John K has been known to have a weird fetish with being the mentor and taking advantage of younger artists who will do immense amounts of work for next to nothing, he'd rather exploit them because an aspiring cartoonist would kill to work for the guy who made Ren and Stimpy.

You're being kind. John is a notorious lech with female artists.
>>
>>90408830
Jhonen Vasquez is actually pretty cool and chill, Anon. Every time I've heard him, he's seemed really nice.
>>
>>90408798
That's the worst part of it, I can accept some exaggeration/stylization if it actually makes something sexier and if it's the right context for that. But this is like Liefieldian, a woman that's obviously drawn to be "sexy" but just looks freakish.
>>
>>90408881
Why did you quote the entire post
>>
>>90408201
I'd work for him. Yes, I know he's suppose to be a terror to work with. However, that doesn't mean you can't learn a shit ton from working with the man
>>
>>90408759
yes, but if you follow his animation method, you can animate anything
>>
>>90408778
looks like fucking time gal
>>
>>90408672
He never made a solid structure in his whole career.
He made a few spheres be connected to each other by a very round and soft tube, yeah, but it still it obeyed no laws or rules and moved like water.
>>
>>90406215
Plot Twist: He's looking for his next Katie
>>
>>90409011
It reminds me more of the chick from this e-rotic video with the costume:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSQIq0borYA (nsfw)
>>
>>90409070
I'm at a loss for words here, so I'll let this video do the talking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCa7tKiCMN4
>>
>>90408830
Inavder Zim's creator is a super cool dude.
>>
File: George Liquor 01.jpg (451KB, 1280x884px) Image search: [Google]
George Liquor 01.jpg
451KB, 1280x884px
>>90409135
>Implying John K did all the animation, key poses, or any production at all.

Most he did was hover over a better artists' shoulder and spout out his lessons for someone with skill to absorb.

This comic was also done by another artist under John K's supervision. Surprise, John K has the knowledge of good cartooning, he just can't apply it himself.
>>
>>90409135
Okay, that is pretty good but the only "solid" construction in the entire scene is the torso (kind of, there's two instances where it goes soft), the arms keep going in and out of it.
Funny thing is that John Kfags will be the first to insult CalArts and cartoons like Adventure Time for "noodle limbs."
>>
>>90406215
im a good cartoonist

hell if im working for that faggot though
>>
>>90408770
Don Bluth had Land Before Time, American Tail, Secret of Nimh and Anastasia. John K has less than 2 seasons of a Nickelodeon cartoon. It was groundbreaking at the time, yes, but Spongebob outdid its off model, wacky face animation in every way. The rival show, Rocko's Modern Life, was also a great show for far longer than Ren And Stimpy was, and will be remembered for it.

I love Ren and Stimpy but it mattered in 1991. That's over 25 years ago, and it's the only thing to John's name besides the much reviled revival, which is only remembered by amateur internet critics
>>
>>90409779
Just because Spongebob had more success doesn't make it more important than Ren and Sitmpy. You said it yourself, it took R&S's model and improved it. How different would shows like Cow and Chicken and Spongebob be without R&S as influences in the first place? And think about how many shows got influenced by Spongebob and still are today trying to copy its formula. It's like a game of telephone and R&S was needed to make the call in the first place.
>>
>>90407023

I'm not sure I'd call it soulless. It's very recognizable and dynamic and obviously a lot of effort went into it.

It's just not visually pleasing at all.
>>
>>90409828
Dark Star was the inspiration for Alien, in a vague bizarre way, but when's the last time anyone mentioned Dark Star?
>>
>>90408830
Vasquez is cool, his stuff is just really popular with pretentious psudointellectuals. He mocks the ones who take it too seriously.
>>
>>90409421
Post your work.
>>
>>90409828
>>90409779
Spongebob clearly took influence from Ren and Stimpy but 'outdid the it's off model, wacky face animation in every way'? Spongebob doesn't have one tenth the acting or range of expressions R&S had. Neither did Rocko.

As for who was more important, Bluth or Kricflausi, depends on your perspective. Bluth left Disney and made discount Disney movies and struggled in competition with the genuine article before finally closing. What could you point to as being directly influenced by Bluth?

John on the other hand influenced cable cartoons across the board, certainly more than Doug or Rugrats, yes? Rugrats was popular but what shows did it influence?

With R&S there's a clear lineage from that to Rocko to Spongebob. Not to mention John was the one who convinced Mike Lazzo of the Cartoon Network, which at the time ran Turners library of Looney Tunes and Hanna Barbera, to start a shorts program which led to the greenlighting of Cartoon Networks original lineup.

Regardless of what you think of him or his work, it's safe to say John had a big influence on the industry. Look at the kind of catoons being made before R&S (He Man, GI Joe, Transformers) and the kind being made after (Rocko, Cow and Chicken, Ed Edd and Eddy)
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.