[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 312
Thread images: 32

File: I_need_an_adult.jpg (647KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
I_need_an_adult.jpg
647KB, 1024x768px
Would it have been better if they had traded places?

I feel Aang would have done much better in Korra's Situation, and she would do better at war then trying to create peace.
>>
File: mO3TRt9.jpg (237KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
mO3TRt9.jpg
237KB, 1536x2048px
Korra would be just as bad at war.

>WE SHOULD PUNCH THEM
>Well, I was thinking we could sneak up on them with these underwater machine, land on the b-
>BOOORRRING
>>
>>90392822
aang was actually the perfect person for both scenarios. yes he was a pacifist which doesn't really do a whole lot of good during a war, but he managed to resolve everything really well anyways.
>>
>>90392822
Zukorra would be the greatest love story ever told
>>
>>90392888
Eh, Korra would do much better at war then she did trying to create peace.

She's
>Agressive
>Impulsive
>An offensive bender

She'd do well, as long as Sokka and Toph anchor her rebellious personality.

Zuko also would be able to have a rival who wants to fight him
>>
>>90392822
The problem is that even though Korra was supposed to be brawn type, SHE NEVER FUCKING WAS ACTUALLY GOOD AT FIGHTING. She could beat up random thugs, but she hasn't won a single major battle without Jinora.

Meanwhile, Aang's biggest fucking problem fighting Ozai with Sozin's Comet buff was not fucking killing him.
>>
I just watched book 1 and book 2 with my siblings. They have never watched ATLA so they had a great time. Fuck, I am so nostalgic over it though. Book 1 is fucking solid, and Aang, despite being a kid and just wanting to have fun, is a really nice protag. You can't help but cheer for him.
>>
>>90392822
I don't think Korra would've been able to broker a peace between the four nations at the end. She'd take down Ozai, sure, but then the other three nations would be out for revenge and since she fails at diplomacy the balance gets thrown out anyway.
>>
>>90394347
>Zuko also would be able to have a rival who wants to fight him
That's terrible for Zuko's character development though. Half of the reason he's able to come around is because the narrative he's convinced himself of where the Avatar is this huge threat gets challenged.
>>
>>90394962
Did you prepare them for the letdown of Book 3?
>>
>>90394681
She has the worst case of plot induced jobbing I've ever seen.

Every time she is about to win a fight, the villain asspulls a new out of nowhere technique, poison kicks in or the villain gets saved by a henchman.
>>
>>90395106
I honestly forgot what goes on with book 3. I know bits and pieces, and the finale, but most of it is gonna surprise me again.

All I know is that I fucking hate Mei. What an annoying character.
>>
File: b37.png (40KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
b37.png
40KB, 200x200px
>>90395144
>Mei
>>
>>90395175
My bad, I didn't notice the typo. I was in a /co/ Overwatch thread.

But eh, Mei or Mai, point still stands.
>>
>>90392822
I was reaaaaally skeptical when the first season of korra aired. I was convinced it would crash and burn horribly.
However Amon was fantastic. Such a great idea for a new villian. The first half actually got me excited even though i felt it was weaker than TLA
Then they fucked it all up by the end and fucked it even harder with S2
Amon shouldve been the main villian, and the narrative of benders vs nonbenders shouldve been explored much deeper

i didnt finish S2, fuck that bullshit
>>
>>90395559
They way the just disregarded the plight of the non benders (who had extremely valid points) by making Amon a bender (and out right ignoring the legitimate complaints) was awful.
>>
>>90392822
Katara teaches her not to be such an impulsive fuck and to empathize with people
Sokka teaches her to strategize and fight with her head
She has a naturally development by learning from the two of them and they kick ass Water Tribe style.
>>
>>90395771
>They way the just disregarded the plight of the non benders
If non-benders had any plight besides "benders who become criminals use their bending to their advantage" they didn't say jack shit about it in the show. Even in that case it's not a bender problem, it's a criminal problem.
>>
>>90396049
well, they had the foundation to maybe explore some kind of conflict between the benders and the normals. Not necessarily full blown apartheid but something in that direction. Presenting the struggles of non-benders would feel very natural and real for the world, and it would generate sympathy for amons cause
>>
>>90395771
i completely agree
they had the perfect setup for a great villian who the audience could agree and understand with
The avatar not representing the nonbenders and having to much unchecked power are legitimate complaints
>>
>>90392822
Yeah Korra wouldn't have ran away in the first place so there wouldn't even have been a war.
>>
>>90396512
You say that like running away wasn't better, in the end.

Had Aang stayed, he would have died.
>>
>>90392822
I think that's precisely why they needed to be in the places they were. Aang's peaceful nature was the balm that soothed the war, and Korra's impulsiveness and aggression prevented stagnation from being the doom of the day.
>>
>>90392822
I think that was the point though. Aang is a pacifist and yet he has to face firebreathing Imperial Japan. Korra is a hotheaded avatar but now has to deal with a more peaceful world.
>>
>>90396866
This. She would have died as well in that same situation.
>>
>>90394681
Korra was raised thinking she was hot shit, and lacked experience.

The ones who sheltered her are more to blame for her lack of ability, imo
>>
>>90396866
>>90397310
The Fire Nation's plan wasn't very good

>kill air avatar, kill water avatar, oops we can't defeat Ba Sing Se or Omashu or any of the other great kingdoms of the Earth Kingdom and now they've got decades to train the avatar guess we're boned
>>
>>90398848
It prevents the avatar from becoming fully realized ever if they wipe out the air benders, and then puts a 50% chance (they don't know about the swamps water benders) on wiping out the next avatar. Assuming they killed Aang, and then wiped out the water Avatar right after, that's 16 years at least of relatively unopposed success to work with.
>>
>>90395986
>Katara teaches her not to be such an impulsive fuck and to empathize with people

More like Katara bitches at Korra a whole bunch until Korra sends her away.
>>
>>90399040
Nah.

Korra is Bi, and Katara is hot. She'll keep her around.

She might off Sokka though, since she'll find him annoying.
>>
I believe a large point of Book 1 of Korra was about the fact that she was in a situation Aang would've done better in, and it worked out that Aang was in a situation that Korra would've been better in.

Something about someone totally different to Aang and his approach.
>>
>>90399707
Why? She loved Bolin and Mako and Sokka is like a combination of the two.

Though she might hate his early series sexism
>>
>>90395098
Iroh would still be there go guide him.
>>
>>90394681
To be fair, aforementioned jobbing aside, Korra fought villains who were arguably stronger than anybody Aang fought.

Darth Unalaq could take out comet-powered Ozai.

Amon could probably take out Ozai if he can get close enough.

Kuvira in the giant mech or the Exbendables stand a chance to beat him.

Korra also didn't get a chance to beat up Zuko a dozen times to inflate her record.
>>
>>90396866
>Had Aang stayed, he would have died.
Citation needed.

He could have just yip yip Avatar state and beat them all.

>but muh Azula lightning
That was really just plot bending on Azula's part.
>>
Do people just hate Korra because she is a woman?
>>
>>90395248
I keep seeing that spelling
It triggers me
>>
>>90401711
STRAW FEMINIST DUBS
RUN EVERYONE
>>
>>90401603
Aang was also three years younger
Had to learn the other elements in three months
And still has better control over the spiritual side
>>
>>90399707
>Korra is Bi, and Katara is hot
Sokka's hot as well.
Water Tribe threeways all day long
>>
>>90403051
Sokka has a thing for the moon, tho.
>>
>>90394347

>an offensive bender

But those are a dime a dozen in the war. What made aang so damn powerful was that even when he just had airbending, he could actually dodge and counterattack. Korra just tries to tank blows for some reason.

The only thing that could catch aang were a bunch of green arrow level archers, and even then they only caught him because he kept trying to pick up frogs. Korra gets bagged and tagged by every average joe in her damn series.

Aang would have probably done better against Korra's villains as well, because he'd have the sense to a) not humor them way too far and b) not fight them with their exact style.
>>
>>90403465
I imagine Korra would too
>>
>>90401603
Amon would not be able to take out Ozai.
>>
>>90404705
>teleports behind Ozai
>bloodbends
>psst nothing personnel
>>
File: Random_Equalist_chi_blocker.png (108KB, 444x250px) Image search: [Google]
Random_Equalist_chi_blocker.png
108KB, 444x250px
>>90392822
>she would do better at war
>>
>>90394681
Korra was a great bender, it's just she wasn't pro level.
>>
>>90404803
>>90404705
All you need to overcome bloodbending is force of will. Mako was able to do it, so basically anyone can.
>>
>>90406699
Mako only managed to do it it because Amon was distacted and because Mako still had his cool guy book 1 plot armor.

Fucking Aang the actual Avatar couldn't overcome bloodbending without going into the Avatar State.
>>
>>90395986
>Katara teaches her not to be such an impulsive fuck and to empathize with people

You say this like Korra has ever taken advice well.

Not to mention the whole group dynamic would have fallen apart when Korra tried to fuck everyone in the group
>>
File: Yangchen.png (111KB, 333x250px) Image search: [Google]
Yangchen.png
111KB, 333x250px
>>90392822

What if they switched places with her?

How much is left of Ozai/Amon afterwards?
>>
>>90406678
The fact that she got as close as she fucking could to a chi blocker instead of keeping her distance just proves how much of a moron she is

Actually most of the bending was horrid in Korra. And they significantly cheapened the Avatar state. Both in strength and the whole retcon bullshit

And I will never get over Korra magically being able to bend three elements with no teaching or training.
>>
>>90401603
Aang in the avatar state would have wiped the floor with anyone Korra faced because Korra was a shitty fighter. Aang was back before they retcon everyone about the avatar.

Before:
>creating a massive tsunami
>moving a massive island
>erupting multiple volcanoes
>summoning tornado strength winds

After:
>Korra gets a little bit stronger

It was incredibly lame.
>>
>>90406995
>Not to mention the whole group dynamic would have fallen apart when Korra tried to fuck everyone in the group
You mean when everyone in the group would try to fuck Korra.

>>90406685
>Korra was a great bender, it's just she wasn't pro level.
The people she encountered shouldn't really be pro either. Random chi blockers, old Water tribe men who are sitting behind desks or meditating stagnated, criminals who have not been able to move about freely for 13 years, and some dancer from a peaceful utopia, Korra should have crushed them in fights but struggled with the problems that arise from those groups coming about and deal with their implications.
>>
>>90407056
>And I will never get over Korra magically being able to bend three elements with no teaching or training.
Katara took him to a pond and he immediately started waterbending.
All Aang had practiced for firebending was breathing and taking a stance none of the other firebenders are shown taking.
>>
>>90407261
The difference being 1) instruction and 2) age

She was a toddler at age four. Aang was a prodigy and the earliest to master airbending at the age of twelve for his people.

And we still don't have an explanation for why she couldn't airbender cause of a lack of an"spiritual connection". No explanation at all and when she does learn to airbend it has fuck all to do with spirituality.
>>
>>90392822
Nah, Anon, nah. Nearly all of Aang's character arcs revolved around confronting conflict. Like, the only reason he got into the situation he was in from the start was because he ran away from responsibility. Being forced to confront something much greater than what he left behind was the best test of his character and personality. He managed to not only learn elements that starkly contrasted his own nature, but he also managed to end the reign of a warlord in the most peaceful manner possible. If you just brought back Aang into a realm of relative peace and stability, he'd learn nothing.
Both of them needed to be out of their elements (pun intended) to grow as people. They both needed to learn what didn't come naturally to them to become balanced individuals.
>>
>>90392822
If Korra had been in Aang's place I'm pretty sure Zuko would have never switched sides and he was a very important piece on overthrowing the fire nation.
>>
Could someone explain to me why Korra was such a massive cunt all the time? Aang lost his whole people, Sokka and Katara lost their mother and their father for a good amount of time, Toph is blind and a runaway.

Why the fuck is Korra such a fucking cunt from the beginning? I'm serious go back to season one before anything happened and watch her just try to handle training. She doesn't put forth any effort and almost immediately gives up but then also flips out and yells at Tenzin in front of his kids and destroys the artifact they were using to train

I honestly would love to know why she is such a massive cunt.
>>
>>90407512
That's... actually a fantastic point. Also can you imagine her trying to learn earthbending from Toph or any other teacher? She would have been alone. Hell the only reason the boys help her is because Bolin is an idiot with no other family, Mako wanted to stick his dick in the avatar, Asami was with Mako, and Tenzin felt an obligation and duty to his father.
>>
>>90394681

Her main problem was that she was too dumb/sheltered. She didn't get any kind of education outside of fighting, had no real world experience, and didn't have any friends/anyone in her age group around her.

Korra failed so hard at everything because she was dumb, sheltered, angry, holier-than-thou and thought she was above the law.
>>
>>90407056
She didn't know about chi blockers at that moment.
>>
>>90407185
>Random chi blockers, old Water tribe men who are sitting behind desks or meditating stagnated, criminals who have not been able to move about freely for 13 years, and some dancer from a peaceful utopia

It's a cartoon. The gaang's most fearsome enemies in book 2 were a trio of rich teenage girls.
>>
>>90407167
>Aang in his instant win avatar state would beat anyone
No shit.

It doesn't have to do with Korra being a shitty fighter; just Byrke nerfing the Avatar state and Korra in general.
>>
File: Aang Korra Switcharoo 1.png (211KB, 974x1092px) Image search: [Google]
Aang Korra Switcharoo 1.png
211KB, 974x1092px
>>
>>90407639
>holier-than-thou and thought she was above the law.
If you are referring to day one in Republic City she was told she was the Avatar and what she knows Avatars do is help people so that's why she was confused as to why the police were strike at her immediately with metal bending cables. Other than that she doesn't think she's above the law and Tenzin only knew how to "teach" because his children were raised in airbending culture and had airbending potential right from birth.

>>90407638
>That's... actually a fantastic point.
A direct switch doesn't work for neither Korra nor Aang so just saying Zuko wouldn't join and that an earthbending teacher would be needed is sketchy as if you did just switch them then Korra wouldn't need Toph and Zuko would still have his conflict since Iroh would still be there to be his loving uncle plus his desire to regain his honor.
>>
File: Aang Korra Switcharoo 2.jpg (3MB, 2760x2500px) Image search: [Google]
Aang Korra Switcharoo 2.jpg
3MB, 2760x2500px
>>90407954
>>
>>90392822
>I feel Aang would have done much better in Korra's Situation, and she would do better at war then trying to create peace.

Which is why it works better the way it is. You don't want your character put into a position where they fit, you want them put into a position of real challenge.

Aang's story works because he is a pacifist in a war, and Korra is always read to fight in a time of peace and politics.
>>
>>90407167
>Korra gets a little bit stronger
Clearly haven't seen the series recently.
>>
>>90407560
If you were capable of looking at the episode as a whole rather than just getting mad at individual events you would have seen that Korra was overly frustrated for finally facing a hardship when it came to bending training, eventually learns that her stubborn way of thinking was wrong, she apologizes to Tenzin for chimping out and burning the artifact, and Tenzin tells her that she did end up learning how to think like an airbender and that maybe his teaching methods might not have been what Korra needed to get the lesson to kick in.

Are you going to call Zuko a cunt too for telling Iroh that he is a lazy, mistrustful, shallow old man who's always been jealous of his brother?
>>
>>90408027
>a time of peace and politics.
>Amon bombing a stadium full of people and recruiting people to overthrow governments
>Unalaq bringing in his military for no reason
>the Earth Queen training her airbenders for a conflict
>Zaheer wanting to kill everyone who sits at the head of the table, in the big chair, or that people defer to for government
>Kuvira
>a time of peace and politics
Not in an action adventure show.
>>
>>90392822

that's pretty much the point and that's why their each put in the setting they are put into.

them being in the setting more ideal for them? it'd be boring, they'd have little reason to grow as people and stuff like that.
>>
>>90407560
>I honestly would love to know why she is such a massive cunt.

She wasn't used to dealing with people/anything outside her containment chamber in the Water Tribe. Grew up thinking she was above everything and couldn't handle/understand real life because no one taught her anything outside of fighting.

So basically everything outside of fighting was hard for her because she had no experience with anything else. She's got anger issues because her life was fighting and isolation.
>>
>>90408081
>Are you going to call Zuko a cunt too for telling Iroh that he is a lazy, mistrustful, shallow old man who's always been jealous of his brother?

Not him but I know the typical response.

Zuko suffered and endured hardships so his position is easier to understand than someone who was sheltered all their life and never had to face something she couldn't overcome on her own.

Also it's funny how the artifact is back at the end of the episode and up and running despite being "destroyed."
>>
>>90401603

Unavaatu could pretty much shitstomp every other villain easily. Like we can argue if he's a stupid concept or not but he was pretty much "the Anti-Christ merges with Satan"
>>
>>90394681

She beat Kuvira, and only had to rely on help against Zaheer because she was literally dying from being pumped full of Mercury during that entire fight, she would of stomped him otherwise.
>>
>>90404705

Ozai can't do jack shit to an Amon focused on him. He gets knocked the fuck out by bloodbending then disposed of at Amon's leisure. Psychic bloodbending was stupid, but it shits all over Ozai.

>>90406699
Mako was not what he focused on, and secondly, no, willpower is not enough.
>>
>>90408216
Guaranteed replies

I agree with you, but the show went out of its way to only show negatives for Korra and never let her have a fulfilling victory of her own.
>>
>>90407560
>implying Toph has it worse compared to Korra
Toph doesn't have it bad at all. The only negative thing you could say is that she's blind, and even then it's not a disability 99% of the time. You could argue that her parents were overprotective, but can you blame her parents for being overprotective of their blind kid in the middle of a war? Other than that, she's a rich girl who never really had any troubles.

Korra was kidnapped by terrorists and as a result couldn't leave a compound for her whole adolescence, which is why she's the way she's is. Toph is just a bitch naturally. Comparing Toph to even the Gaang is silly since the worst of her troubles is something that happens to teenagers in modern day America.
>>
>>90408256

To some extent I agree, the big bads needed more elite Mook that Korra could beat up, since obviously she can't beat the big bads till the end.
>>
>>90392822

Fun fact: Korra is not only headstrong and confrontational to the point of sheer idiocy, but she also isn't a particularly exemplary fighter. This combination of traits, combined with an already abrasive personality and a lack of any higher brain function, frequently leads to her getting her teeth kicked in by stronger, and/or more numerous, adversaries...
>>
>>90408359
Shut the fuck up. Korra is strong and smart, the only reason she ever loses is because the plot would end otherwise.
>>
>>90408328
>since obviously she can't beat the big bads till the end.
Aang beat Zhao back when he had him burn his wooden ships.
Aang beat Azula on the Fire Nation's Drill, and then Azula disappeared despite them being defeated...

They could have had Korra beat Amon, Zaheer, and Kuvira like how they showed her picking up Unalaq and tossing him around twice with airbending. Just write it in such a way that the whole plot doesn't crumble from the win and makes sense for the character. Aang wouldn't kill Zhao and end his campaign there as it is against Aang's character. Keep things like character in mind along with the world and not just a plot that doesn't even make sense on the brain.
>>
>>90407366
IIRC one of the bigger things, at least in the original, was mindset. A straightforward, blunt method of problem solving is excellent for Earthbending, but if Aang was all about inner peace and being freespirited. His lack of forcefulness is why earthbending was so difficult for him.

As I recall, firebending also requires an enormous level of self-control and discipline, if only so you don't kill yourself, so I'm not sure that Korra really fits that either.

So Korra, by ATLA's rules, would have a knack for Earthbending and have a harder time with airbending and firebending. Not that it matters since they forgot that bending requires kung fu to work.
>>
>>90408359
>This combination of traits, combined with an already abrasive personality and a lack of any higher brain function, frequently leads to her getting her teeth kicked in by stronger, and/or more numerous, adversaries...
It's mostly due to the terrible reverse plot armor, the need to give supporting characters their own time and the lack of fodder mooks and jobbers like Zuko to pad out a winning record against.
>>
>>90408532
>As I recall, firebending also requires an enormous level of self-control and discipline
yeah, because Zuko had SO much self control and discipline...

>since they forgot that bending requires kung fu to work.
No they didn't?
>>
>>90408532
>As I recall, firebending also requires an enormous level of self-control and discipline, if only so you don't kill yourself, so I'm not sure that Korra really fits that either.
>So Korra, by ATLA's rules, would have a knack for Earthbending and have a harder time with airbending and firebending.
She was brought up in waterbending with her parents and culture so, like how Tenzin can't teach except by default how his children were raised in airbending culture, she'd have waterbending.

Fire is about desire and a drive to achieve what you want hence why Zuko's fire burnt out and he had to get a new flame. So Korra wanting to carry the mantle of Avatar is her fire.

And you already explained earthbending though Aang's problem translated to one day of "so difficult."
>>
>>90408577
>the need to give supporting characters their own time
During the finale and buildup to the finale, in place of the main character who we are following, as a capstone to her journey of the season...give the focus to a supporting character who shouldn't even be there or doing what they are doing in the first place?
>>
>>90408503
They are different scenarios.

Korra's stories involved 4 different cases of a big bad slowly becoming a super big bad for which they bad guys needed constant wins in order to be a credible threat in the finale (it doesn't help that Korra was robbed of two victories in two finales due to the need to make Jinora useful)

ATLA on the other hand started with the big bad already being on super big bad levels so it was mostly episodic adventures of Aang running away from whichever Fire Nation villain was chasing him in while he tried to reach an important place where he could get more power. With the only real defeats coming in Crossroads of Destiny and Day of Black Sun
>>
>>90408686
I don't know why but everything you said reminded me of Katara getting to beat Azula in Sozin's Comet over Zuko.
>>
>>90408392

Ignoring the fact that your explanation that Korra's potential is being limited due to restrictions of the plot, as if she exists outside of the plot rather than as a component of it, doesn't make sense...

If try to explain away Korra's incompetence as the writers trying to preserve of the plot by altering the properties of characters within said plot, then you funnel all the scrutiny back onto the show's writing and narrative design as a whole...
>>
>>90408731
>I don't know why but everything you said reminded me of Katara getting to beat Azula in Sozin's Comet over Zuko.
Now imagine that happening to Korra in each season and the comics, but that's exactly what happened and will continue to happen so long as one of Bryke is at the helm.
>>
>>90408733
>as if she exists outside of the plot rather than as a component of it, doesn't make sense...
It's like their decision to make her bisexual. It doesn't make sense but they did it. So too does the plot take priority over the character. The plot dictates that Korra loses because, then it is so. The plot dictates that Korra finally notices Asami, then it is so.
>>
>>90409157

> ... the plot take priority over the character. The plot dictates that Korra loses because, then it is so. The plot dictates that Korra finally notices Asami, then it is so.

What the hell are you talking about?

Are you high?

The plot isn't just supposed to exist for its own sake, the plot exists to structure a story...

The setting, the characters, the set-ups, the conflicts are all components that are supposed to be designed alongside one another and then assembled to produce a coherent plot that is consistent and stable enough to survive the scrutiny of an audience while they are lead through the story...

Under no circumstances should the characters of a story be vying ~against~ the direction of the plot, as if they are independent entities...
>>
>>90392822
Both would have preferred the others scenario at the start of the series.
>>
>>90409430
I'm not sure that Korra would have wished for a world war.
>>
>>90392822
That's the catch. If Aang had been like Korea it wouldn't be as entertaining. That was a main character conflict. Him being a peaceful nomad during a time of great strife.
>>
File: wow.png (951KB, 786x783px) Image search: [Google]
wow.png
951KB, 786x783px
wow another thread whith idiots shitting on korra
>>
>>90409606
You think they'd have gotten bored with it by now and move on, like many of the people who liked Korra did.
>>
>>90408081
>Can't Airbender because not spiritual at all

>Just says fuck it and learns to Airbender by fighting

>Suddenly airbends good enough to KO a psychic bloodbender because she was pissed.

She literally gets everything she wants her way and never learns a single lesson ever.
>>
>>90402034
Has it only been three months? I could've sworn it was more than that.
>>
>>90409606
What?

How is this thread negative about Korra?
>>
>>90407827
>The gaang's most fearsome enemies in book 2 were a trio of rich teenage girls.
One of which was a firebending prodigy, another who had enough accuracy to pin people to steel walls with throwing knifes, and another who was capable of blocking chi.

You're really understating their abilities and it makes sense for them to be so difficult to defeat, unlike Korra where she's powerful enough to master three elements while being a child yet is still so inept that she jobs more than commander Worf from Star Trek.
>>
>>90401697
>He could have just yip yip Avatar state and beat them all.
That was long before Aang even had control of the avatar state, and even then, it wouldn't have made him invincible nor save him from the dozens of firebending soldiers attacking his temple while also being buffed by Sozin's comet.
>>
>>90392822
>I have nothing better to do than make this thread for the six thousandth time
>>
>>90410143
>hurr this type of thread has been made before, therefore it should never be discussed ever again XD

Fuck off, fampai
>>
>>90408608
>yeah, because Zuko had SO much self control and discipline...
Zuko actually did have a lot of self-control and discipline once you stop and think about it for a moment. I mean, there were several points in the series where he forgoes chasing the avatar in order to help someone he cared about, which wouldn't have been possible if he was truly focused on capturing the avatar at all costs.
>No they didn't?
They pretty much did. Compare the bending we see in AtLA to LoK. Every move in AtLA had its own unique style that also emphasized the element it represented.
>Water: Smooth, fluid motions that shifted from one stance to the next.
>Earth: Hard, direct motions that focused on solid footwork as well as force.
>Fire: Fast, powerful motions that focused on solid form as well as controlled breathing.
>Air: Calm, patient motions that focused on evasion until an opponent's guard was opened.
While in LoK, most of the younger characters just use variations of boxing.
>>
>>90409503
Somehow I don't think Aang would have had a good time in Korea.
Fucking phoneposters.
>>
File: goenitz.jpg (64KB, 666x1000px) Image search: [Google]
goenitz.jpg
64KB, 666x1000px
Koko desu ka
>>
>>90410399
>Zuko actually did have a lot of self-control and discipline once you stop and think about it for a moment.
At times, sure, but not at other times. I was never claiming in every scene he had no self control or discipline.

>They pretty much did.
They didn't.

>Compare the bending we see in AtLA to LoK.
Very similar in some places, different in others.

>Every move in AtLA had its own unique style that also emphasized the element it represented.
Korra still had that, mainly with the traditionally-trained characters.

>While in LoK, most of the younger characters just use variations of boxing.
No, their bending is MMA and UFC styles since that's what pro-bending is based on.
>>
File: 1458277606565.webm (3MB, 540x228px) Image search: [Google]
1458277606565.webm
3MB, 540x228px
>>90410115
>That was long before Aang even had control of the avatar state
Even without control the Avatar State is still ridiculously powerful.

>nor save him from the dozens of firebending soldiers attacking his temple
You're underestimating the Avatar State. He would also have had the other airbenders alongside him. One master in Gyatso took out dozens of firebenders by himself. A bunch of masters along with Aang could have turned the tide.

>while also being buffed by Sozin's comet.
The buff from Sozin's Comet is severely overrated. Everyone pictures the humongous forest burning swath of Ozai, but the boost for the average soldier was maybe 1.5 times bigger fireballs.

>>90410399
>Compare the bending we see in AtLA to LoK.
>While in LoK, most of the younger characters just use variations of boxing.
This shit is also something that people exaggerate. The only people who really use MMA style moves are Bolin, Mako, and Korra, the actual probending fighters. You only see more of it because they're main characters and even those 3 still use traditional moves. It's like people didn't watch past book 1.
>>
>>90408532
I thought ATLA established that avatars toughest element to learn was the opposite of their hertiage. As in air is the opposite of earth which is why Ang is shown to struggle so much with it. Following the same rules, fire should have been what Korra struggled with.

Although with the personality they gave her, it makes more sense that air is something she is horrible at. She had more an earth bender's personality anyways.
>>
File: 1481469404466.png (166KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1481469404466.png
166KB, 640x480px
>>90407639
So Korra is what if 4chan had avatar powers?
>>
>>90410708
>but the boost for the average soldier was maybe 1.5 times bigger fireballs.
Put it into perspective though. We're talking a strong enough army to wipe out the entire Air Temple. Keep in mind, these attacks are happening simultaneously. Let's say Aang DOES manage to Avatar State and hold off the Temple and defend it. 3/4 temples are still razed. Aang is still WAY too inexperienced to do anything against an army that will know full well it has an Avatar to stop. Hell, once he knows they're going for him he would have surrendered to protect the temple. Good fucking luck with that scenario. Aang not being there was the best thing that could've happened to the world. Rather than defeating and destroying the Fire Nation, Aang managed to find a way to fix it and build a road to repair and peace.
>>
>>90408503
>Aang beat Azula on the Fire Nation's Drill
Not really beat her but her plan.
>>
>>90401603
>Kuvira in the giant mech or the Exbendables stand a chance to beat him.
wasn't the Mech driven in part by electricity? wouldn't a Lightning bender, powered up by Sozins Comet, be able to do some damage to it with that?
>>
>>90412371
It was powered by nuclear spirit energy.
>>
>>90411913
It's one of th rules they retconned. She struggled with air because her spiritual connection is all but non-existent.

Why? Never explained. Next to the love triangle Kataras ability to bend three elements naturally, including her opposite, but not air for the unexplained reason is one of the worst parts of the show
>>
>>90392822
Wasn't the point to put them in situations they weren't comfortable in?
>>
>>90392822
Korra is shit even at war though
>>
>>90410399
>I mean, there were several points in the series where he forgoes chasing the avatar in order to help someone he cared about, which wouldn't have been possible if he was truly focused on capturing the avatar at all costs.
That literally shows he doesn't have discipline.
Why do Avatarfags reach so deep into retardedness to justify their headcanons?
>>
>>90407954
thanks, it could be usefull when creating an fantasy universe
>>
>>90410092
>You're really understating their abilities and it makes sense for them
It makes no sense whatsoever for two rich teenage non-bender girls with no war experience to be more fearsome enemies than trained soldiers that have been fighting the war for years.
>>
>Implying korra didn't do a good job
>>
>>90401603
Unalaq would be the strongest villain for certain. The only question is how much of a powerup the AS is compared to the comet. I'd give it to Unalaq for sure though.

Amon is a toss up to me, his bloodbending range doesn't seem that incredible, so maybe lightning spam could defeat him. If he ever gets to bloodbend Ozai though it's game over.

Kuvira can't do a thing to Ozai, and with the comet power he could probably land on it's back and cut his way through the plating and beat her easily.

Expendables are strong, but Ozai has so much range and area of effect with the comet that i can't see them beating him. He is aslo one of, if not the strongest, Firebender we see in the show.
>>
>>90414551
Problem with Ozai is that we never see his firebending without the comet so we don't know how many leagues he is ahead of Azula and Zuko.
>>
>>90407778
She is the one that says "goddamn, they were chi blockers"

but generally, if the opponent is TRYING to go melee, and she can attack at a distance, she shouldn't go near them.
>>
>>90408230
>willpower is not enough
that's how Mako did it

>>90406699
>muh plot armor
No. They could literally just make Mako lose bending and the show could go on; Korra could just restore the bending afterwards. They felt the need to show that Mako could surprass bloodbending when he wasn't at risk.
>>
>>90408094
It would be a time of peace of Korra actually knew how to deal with the situation. Aside from S01, every other season could be avoided by thinking rationally.
>>
>>90415317
Second part was meant to >>90406807
>>
>>90415299
No, right after the fight she says "I can't bend" and then Mako tells her that they were chi blockers and that the effects will wear off.
>>
>>90415373
you're probably right on that part as i don't watch that shit for a long time, but still she saw the opponent trying to go near her. It's not excusable.
>>
>>90401603
>Darth Unalaq could take out comet-powered Ozai
says you

>Amon could probably take out Ozai if he can get close enough
you overcome bloodbending by not being a little bitch

>Kuvira in the giant mech or the Exbendables stand a chance to beat him
reminder that Korra didn't beat anyone of those
>>
>>90398925
Even with 100 years of unopposed success, they didn't manage to actually do anything with it but oppress some water and earth peasants. Even moderately sized earth cities were basically untouched by the war, as seen in the fortune teller episode.
>>
I never understood why there is a giant Aang statue. It's just a giant middle finger for everything he stood for

Also the first season's anti-bender nonsense made less sense considering non bender have it better than ever before with the technology.

Speaking of the technology I kinda hate Korra's setting. In Aang's their society reflected the culture that the show was inspired from, and many aspects of it were heavily influenced by the bending. You could see how important it was to both their culture and way of life.

All that was thrown away for a prohibition era theme. While I like that era it just felt really out of place in the avatar universe. Not to mention all those inventions took hundreds, if not thousands, of years to create in our world. Why would they be created in decades in a world with magical powers? We're talking cars, electricity, skyscrapers, radio, etc.
>>
>>90415419
The fighting in general was really bad in Korra. That scene in particular. She, not only a bender but the strongest bender on the planet, gets within inches of a non bender. She doesn't try to back up, doesn't use earth, doesn't use water. She resorts to trying to kick and punch them when they get close instead of using other elements when it's clear her fire bending sucks ass
>>
>>90416085
The fighting in Korra abandoned all style.

>"The show's creators based each bending style on an existing Chinese martial art, leading to clear visual and physical differences in the techniques used by Waterbenders (tai chi), Earthbenders (Hung Ga kung fu), Firebenders (Northern Shaolin kung fu) and Airbenders (Baguazhang)."

That's not reflected in Korra at all. And yes fire was the most agressive bending and it was very logical for Korra to switch to earth or water when the person got close to her. But Korra is an idiot and wouldn't think of that.
>>
>>90416136
The chi fight scene in general is weird because it takes place in a giant open... area. There is no environment and the scene comes off very stale.
>>
>>90415960
You do know that it took less than 70 years between the invention of the first car and the first rocket?
>>
File: thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg (44KB, 500x406px) Image search: [Google]
thumb-up-terminator pablo M R.jpg
44KB, 500x406px
>>90415960

Mhm...

The setting change is one of the things which bothered me most about Korra...

It just feels so out of place, almost like an entirely different cartoon melted into the Avatar...
>>
>>90415960
The last air bender already have tanks, air balloons and steam ships. It isn't that much of a leap
>>
>>90392822
Depends if they trade ages as well. If Korra is twelve she'll get child prodigy plot armor.
>>
>>90416748
She'd probably get called a Mary Sue for all those times she'd get to whoop Zuko's ass
>>
>>90416136
>The fighting in Korra abandoned all style.
Wrong.
>>
>>90414475
She destroyed all of the avatar lineage

She did a shit job
>>
>>90417825
Prove me wrong
>>
>>90416896
Are you one of those tards that think Rey wasn't a Mary Sue?
>>
>>90421497
Of course she was.

Was Aang one?
>>
>>90416896
>She'd probably get called a Mary Sue for all those times she'd get to whoop Zuko's ass
literally everyone defeated Zuko. No one would call her that.
>>
File: 1472535210300.webm (1007KB, 1020x266px) Image search: [Google]
1472535210300.webm
1007KB, 1020x266px
>>90421460
>>
>>90393381
>but he managed to resolve everything really well anyways.

I always found this a bit mary-sueish. It's good to be diplomatic but sometimes it was just that being a nice guy solves every situation no matter how complex it is.
>>
>>90416896
Zuko was a professional jobber.

Hyped to be strong, but always losing
>>
>>90415960
Actually the tech leap isn't that extreme. They had fairly capable steam engines in AtLA. Just look at the tech changes that we've had over the course of 80 years. Let's say their tech is comparable to ours in 1840. 80 years later we had air-planes, zeppelins, cars, etc...
>>
>>90423009
What in the actual fuck? That garbage on the right is on par with fucking Shamalam. Left isn't as bad.
>>
>>90426913
They are the exact same movements.
>>
File: 1459315689888.webm (3MB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1459315689888.webm
3MB, 720x540px
>>
>>90428042
I hate when protagonist plot armor beats experience
>>
File: 1469918229531.webm (3MB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1469918229531.webm
3MB, 480x270px
>>
>>90428042
>Katara was the first blood bender
>Toph was the first metal bender
>Zuko didn't invent shit

Way was Zuko so mediocre
>>
>>90428658
Zuko has a character arc that involves deeper stuff than just getting power-ups like Katara and Toph's.

Also, Katara wasn't the first bloodbender, she fucking learned it from someone that figured it out by herself.
>>
>>90428658
Toph and Katara are also shown to be prodigies. I don't like that Katara was, but that was a constant through the series. It also makes the final confrontation with Azula even more depressing for the ramifications about hard work never equaling natural talent.
>>
>>90414551
>He is aslo one of, if not the strongest, Firebender we see in the show.

Iroh was almost certainly stronger than Ozai since both Zuko and Iroh seemed to take it as a given that Iroh could beat him in a fight.

Plus I doubt that Azulon would have been nearly as enraged by the suggestion of Ozai supplanting Iroh as the heir if he was stronger than his older brother.

>>90414810
>Problem with Ozai is that we never see his firebending without the comet

He fired that lightning bolt at Zuko when his bending returned after the eclipse but that's it.
>>
>>90429012
>Azula even more depressing for the ramifications about hard work never equaling natural talent.

But Azula was the naturally talented of Ozai's two children; Zuko was the one who struggled to even do basic Firebending techniques while young.
>>
>>90429791
>both Zuko and Iroh seemed to take it as a given that Iroh could beat him in a fight.
Far from it.

He was just their only choice but Zuko thought that he might have a chance with the help of the rest of the gaang. Iroh even says that he doubts a lot that he could defeat Ozai.
>>
>>90429895
>Iroh: "No, Zuko I cannot fight Ozai because history would just see it as a man killing his brother to gain power"
>Zuko: "Alright, what must I do, then?
>Iroh: "You must go to the Fire Nation and kill your sister so you can become Fire Lord instead of her"
>>
>>90429978
>>Iroh: "You must go to the Fire Nation and kill your sister so you can become Fire Lord instead of her"

What an asshole.
>>
>>90428658
Because Zuko was above average up until he studied under the Sun Warriors. The entire point of his arc was he was doing everything wrong.
>>
File: Iroh_smiling.png (105KB, 333x250px) Image search: [Google]
Iroh_smiling.png
105KB, 333x250px
>>90430586
>The entire point of his arc was he was doing everything wrong.
I have purposely trained him wrong, as a joke
>>
>>90430670
Actually yeah Iroh did. He had the secret techniques of the Sun Warriors, so he could have been teaching Zuko to fuel his bending with his love, his anger and all of his sorrow instead of just his teen angst.
>>
>>90430670
I wouldn't say that Iron trained him wrong, more that he was filtering them training through a wrong mindset and as a result could not implement it correctly. We see him improving under Iroh's tutelage, it's just that there's a fundamental flaw in his bending philosophy that tutelage can't help until he fixes it himself.
>>
>>90428658
Zuko was a rather interesting case.

He was talented, but not as talented as his sister.
>>
>>90392822
Korra would have probably been the one that suggested to kill Ozai. And then she would have went ahead and did it. Show would have been over in one or two seasons. Then the third book probably would have been about Korra dealing with a ISIS type group led by Azula that forms in the power vacuum left behind due to all the leftover weaponry and Ozai getting killed.
>>
>>90428658
But Katara was definitively NOT the first blood bender. She learned it from the exact person she's fighting in that episode.
>>
>>90394347
>aggerssive
>impuslive
Both shit traits in war. Korra is, at best, suited to being a solider/mook. She'd work the villain angle pretty well too.
>>
>>90428658
>Katara was the first bloodbender
I don't understand how someone could possibly come to this conclusion. This a truly baffling statement
>>
>>90423965
It's not like he did it all himself.
>>
File: American strategy.jpg (82KB, 914x631px) Image search: [Google]
American strategy.jpg
82KB, 914x631px
>>90432668
Both can be good dependent upon the situation. When it comes to leading troops on the battlefield they have their uses, especially among middle management like a platoon leader. The problem stems from not having the ability to reason in order to figure out when it is good to be aggressive and properly gauge the situation at hand. Korra isn't particularly good at the whole reasoning thing, until the 4th season when ,ironically, it works to her detriment.
>>
>>90428658

this >>90431688 >>90430586
Zuko was damn good. He's in the top percentile. He just doesn't seem as good in comparison since he's got a ton of competition.

Aang is the only airbender left so by default he's he best airbender.

Katara didn't really have to fight many waterbenders so she's the number 2 fighters just from lack of competition.

Toph is OP in my opinion but other than Bumi there's really no other notable earthbenders, so she's tied for #1.

Zuko however has to stack up against Ozai, Iroh, Azula, and Jeong Jeong. Being the number #4 or #5 guy doesn't seem that impressive, but he'd still beat 99% of the other benders.
>>
>>90432977
Katara fought a northern master, Swampthing and someone who learnt the rarest and most powerful form of water bending.
>>
>>90433126
Forgot to mention that she won two of those.
>>
Oh hell no. Korra is way too headstrong and would've fucked up badly if she were in Aang's shoes. Plus Aang was too passive and probably would've botched the Red Lotus shit.
>>
File: Huu.png (110KB, 333x250px) Image search: [Google]
Huu.png
110KB, 333x250px
>>90433126
>Swampthing

Still bugs me that they didn't have Huu take on Pathik's role as Korra's spiritual advisor.
>>
>>90433418
It bugs me that no one really used plantbending. The only times it showed up again were Day of Blacksun when Huu joined the assault and when Hama used it to generate water to bend.
>>
>>90432909

So being retarded is the biggest burgerclapper strength?.
>>
>>90433995
No, it is more the ability to adapt and improvise. Being retarded merely puts one in a position where you can learn to do so.
>>
>>90426853
>the tech leap isn't that extreme
Mechatanks and giant fucking robot beg to differ
>b-but the drill
Is a giant drill. It's not tech that even WE can't do set in an era before us.
>>
File: megabots_vs_kuratas.jpg (143KB, 700x500px) Image search: [Google]
megabots_vs_kuratas.jpg
143KB, 700x500px
>>90434223
Did you not see the tanks that could flip their cabins? Or that bullshit Azula's gang was riding around in? Also have you not been paying attention for like the past year?
>>
File: Tundra_tanks.png (102KB, 333x250px) Image search: [Google]
Tundra_tanks.png
102KB, 333x250px
>>90434223
Other than the giant robot, nothing really is too much of a leap technologically speaking in LoK.

ATLA had tanks that can climb up shear cliff faces, which is also technology that we can't do in an era set even farther before us.

In real life, we went from tanks to space travel in about 55 years.

It's been 70 years since the ATLA tanks were invented.
>>
>>90392822
Would we get Korra x Katara?
>>
How can Bolin control those bomb thingies in Book 2?
>>
File: Flippy Floppy Tanks.webm (2MB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Flippy Floppy Tanks.webm
2MB, 960x720px
>>
File: Climbing tanks.webm (3MB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Climbing tanks.webm
3MB, 960x720px
>>
>>90434567
>haven't you been paying attention to (the year that takes place after when LoK was airing)
Yeah ok you're right makes sense
>>90434669
But see, giant mecha are fucking impossible for one, and retarded in a series about bending elements. The tanks at least are hollow as they don't need artillery, and a gyroscopic/rotating pod isn't terribly farfetched. It's still a fucking extreme leap from those tanks to a giant impossible mecha. Even if the Fire Nation made the mecha it'd be stupid.
>>
>>90434905
>giant mecha are fucking impossible for one, and retarded in a series about bending elements
So is a giant drill
>>
>>90434999
>So is a giant drill
Okay, I'll admit I'm jumping around and misrepresenting my gripes. I'm moving the goalposts all over the place, and I'll apologize for that immediately.

The Drill was never a problem because it served a logical function and was meant beyond its initial episode to be undeniable proof of the war. It's a long tank-treaded drill that has its own coolant system and some modicum of thought put into it, making stopping it a centerpiece for an episode. It made logical, militaristic sense to use a drill since its only purpose was to breach a wall. Besides, it's just a big dumb drill, I must not be seeing the impracticality of it. It's based on other models of drills we have but on a bigger scale while still remaining passably plausible. The Fire Nation being more technologically advanced fits with the smelting angle of being able to control heat much easier than we can, so them accomplishing things we hadn't is semi-justified.

The giant mecha is utilized to weaponize the spirit cannon. But the cannon itself obliterates anything in front of the danger hole. There's no logical reason why making a giant mech is any more efficient than just making twenty cannons and rolling them in at different angles. Making a 60 story mecha in a series that is meant to have been steampunk era is a huge departure from the tone of the story and the technology standard set before. It completely defies any sense of physics from its sheer size alone. It persists through an EMP somehow despite that in order to restart it would need the circuitry to not be fucked, which after an EMP, it certainly would be. Considering the immediacy with which it was built, they can't have been efficient in its construction.

After the mechatank reveal in Season 1 they still expected us to be surprised by biplanes. Why the fuck would those be surprising compared to fucking mechatanks? "It operates just like one of our forklifts" is one of the more retarded lines in Season 1 as well.
>>
>>90407954
I'm sad now.
>>
>>90435684
>Pretty sure we could do that today.
Shouldn't be hard to find an example of that technology IRL then. Go ahead, find one
>>
>>90398848
I still love that fan story about the fire nation kidnapping and brainwashing Aang into one of them
>>
>>90392822
I had an idea for a sequel to the platinum game where you play as Aang and Korra against one villain, Aang fights him in his youth and Kora fights him when he is an old man that way you see how each one would react to the same basic plot.

I know they could just make a comic out of the idea but I really want another platinum game
>>
>>90439049
Do you remember what it's called?
>>
>>90434669
Actually it's mostly book 4 tech thats over the top.
>>
>>90392822
Why don't people understand Korra was supposed to be a shitty Avatar?
>>
>>90441544
Because she wasn't? We're supposed to think she was amazing, possibly better than Aang.
>>
>>90441577
>Destroys entire knowledge-base of past avatars
>"successful"
>>
>>90441628
I'm not saying she was. But the show treats her like a hero and so does Bryke. We're clearly meant to think she achieved great things, and did more for the world than most other Avatars. Tenzin even praises her for doing just that.
>>
>>90441628
Aang did it too. Korra just doesn't have a chiropractor rock.
>>
>>90396049
Let's see
>many jobs that only benders can do
>bending gangs are a big problem
>chi blocking classes aren't taught
>council is all benders
>>
>>90409606
Maybe if the series wasn't so bad it killed the franchise...
>>
>>90413970
We never see where Mai got her training, but we know that Ty Lee spent time traveling around. Plus she's a rich non-bender. No shit her parents got her chi blocking lessons.
>>
>>90433566
And Huu fucking wrecked with his swamp thing.
>>
>>90441959
Mai's "training" was stated to be her throwing knives at the wall of her bedroom when she was bored.

Most of the ATLA casts are grossly overcompetent for their age. Korra krew only seems incompetent in comparison.
>>
>>90442099
>Korra krew only seems incompetent in comparison.
Nah, it's just that people in LoK over the age of 14 and under the age of 65 were allowed to be competent once in a while.
>>
>>90442099
>Mai's "training" was stated to be her throwing knives at the wall of her bedroom when she was bored.

That's just Bryke being retarded. Going by what's actually in the show, it's safe to assume she attended a hardcore military academy with personal tutelage from Azula.
>>
>>90441544

I like that she was a shitty avatar. It's what made her character interesting. She grew up sheltered and pampered with the whole white lotus blowing smokey up herself ass, and is kind of a shitty person as a result. 4 seasons was a little long to stretch that journey out maybe, but I was legit happy for her in 4 when she finally realized she could solve problems without extreme violence.

It was kind of an inverse of aangs journey, where he was too afraid to use violence when he HAD to.
>>
>>90394347
>Eh, Korra would do much better at war then she did trying to create peace.
Sure. But she'd still be worse at it than Aang.
>>
>>90444832
I just wish she had gotten some wins to go along the suffering character journey.

Otherwise it doesn't make for a satisfying journey.
>>
>>90445348

Well, she did? Like, when overcame her obstacles, she just often took the lesson wrong? She got airbending but failed to grasp any of tenzin's teaching about the culture. She figured out the avatar spiritual powers, but treated them like another weapon at worst, or just another tool at best. Season 3 was her paying the price for both her shitty behaviour, and the sins of the fathers (both literally and figuratively) and the niece 4 was her actual self actualization. It's actually kind of a nice arc, it just takes a long time and a lot of people got sickness of watching a selfish stubborn asshole protagonist along the way, which I don't really get cause that's something you don't see often.
>>
>>90445288
It depends if she gets to have Aang's plot armor while being in his situation.
>>
>>90445410
>failed to grasp any of tenzin's teaching about the culture.

Tenzin didn't know shit about the culture and warped it into some kind of perverted cult for freaks and retards to worship his family.
>>
>>90392822
I'll never know because ATLA and LoK aren't on Netflix anymore
>>
>>90444832
>I like that she was a shitty avatar. It's what made her character interesting.
I don't. Because she was always excused from any repercussions that should have come from how shit she always was.

In AtLA and Voltron, the characters eat shit when they're being shit because they were shit.
But with Korra, she's never pressed on any serious flaws or failures on her part. And the few times that she is, someone else is there to defend/excuse her on her behalf.
>>
>>90445485

I don't disagree. But the point was more that Korra got her airbending through brute force and didn't learn anything from it. Which could very well just be interpretation on my part, from how they shittily ended S1, I admit.
>>
>>90433995
Ever heard of yard strength? Exact same thing. Like some giant Hodor that gets whatever he wants because he's retarded and can snap anyone in half in a second
>>
>>90445505

I agree I wish they'd capitalized on those lows. It could have been done better. But she also spent a lot of time treating mako like shit, and then got all indignant when he dumped her. Like, I'm positive you weren't my supposed to sympathize with her there. And then there was the whole poisoned so hard she got wheelchaired, or the way everyone treated her like a retard after she fucked up and broke the avatar past lives setup. People pitied her, but I agree, it would have done wonders for her journey and the narrative if people took her to the cleaners. Like Tenzin calling her on her shit would have been particularly good.
>>
Half way through the thread and only now I realise this isn't /aco/ what's wrong with you faggots
>>
>>90445514
>But the point was more that Korra got her airbending through brute force and didn't learn anything from it
I thought it was supposed that she unlocked it due to wanting to protect someone dear to her rather than just use it as part of her avatar powers.

Or some shit like she was too bound to the "earthly tether" of being the avatar so she couldn't use the "element of freedom" because of that.
>>
>>90413226
Discipline doesn't mean mindlessly chasing after rainbows the moment there's a rainstorm anon, it means being able to resist temptation and keep sight on the things that really matter, which in Zuko's case would've been his Uncle rather than his father's approval.
>>
>>90409751
Not gonna happen. Decades from now, when you've forgotten all about both AtLA and Korra, I will still be mad about Korra.
>>
>>90445562
>Like Tenzin calling her on her shit would have been particularly good.
Only if Tenzin could be called on his shit. And Mako. And Lin. Ragging on Korra would just end up being what the internet does when it was a group effort of everyone being terrible people who could improve.
Also no one treated her like a retard in 3 when she broke the Avatar cycle. And Mako and Korra were constantly shown as bad together so I never had any sympathy nor believable connection to them as a relationship be it romantic or platonic.
>>
>>90445642
>Or some shit like she was too bound to the "earthly tether" of being the avatar
That's what both parts of Bryke say. But it comes across as awkward because she's still defending a love interest despite not having the lens of the Avatar as her perspective. But then again even Guru Pathik said airbending and love have a connection when talking to Aang.
>>
>>90445688
>Also no one treated her like a retard in 3 when she broke the Avatar cycle.
Because Unalaq did that, and he was too dead to treat him like shit for that.
>>
File: mobilefighterggundam192.jpg (296KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
mobilefighterggundam192.jpg
296KB, 1024x768px
>>90432977
Toph at least has an excuse that she has to eat, breath, and shit bending. Else she'll just be a cripple stuck in a society that doesn't cater to their needs. Even Aang wasn't air bending 24/7.

>>90430832
>fuel his bending with his love, his anger and all of his sorrow

So are you saying Zuko could have gotten a gundam?
>>
>>90445642

That possible. Until the creators explain what was up with that moment it could really be anything, to be fair. Storytelling wise it was a light in the darkest moment, but following the logic of the world it's kind of just a big question mark.
>>
>>90434669
The bipedal robots in S01 kind of are; bipedal movement itself is bullshit there, but they go and make out of PLATINUM; a material not fit to build anything.

ATLA just makes more sense; they had stuff moved by coal already, so no real problem with tanks. Bipedal movement, however, is something we can't even get right today.
>>
>>90434567
Pic related is just a glorified tank.
>>
>>90441809
>Aang did it too
No. Aang decided to cut connection with Roku. It's different. It's noticeable that Korra also caused.. well.. everything in her show except for S01.
>>
>>90441809
Aang didn't KILL the past lives, he just couldn't connect with them. The next avatar would be able to do it; it was just Aang's thing.
>>
>>90431688
Azula was always hyped to be a once in a life time talent, but imo she wasn't that impressive
>>
>>90446079
>Bipedal movement, however, is something we can't even get right today.
It's mostly because of how impractical it is, no matter how cool it might look.
>>
>>90446331
Impractical as it is, people actually have tried it and couldn't make it. It's also quite difficult to achieve.
>>
Will there be another Avatar show?
>>
>>90446120
Roku was a bad avatar
>>
>>90449480
Not for several years
>>
>>90449480
If there is, hopefully it takes place in the past or the very distant future.
>>
>>90449480
No. Korra ruined everything.
>>
>>90450907
(You)
>>
>>90450957
>ratings so low they couldn't even justify airing it on the channel, instead opting to just release them on there website
>while the original was one of the most popular shows ever on the channel
>>
>>90451477
>ratings so low they couldn't even justify airing it on the channel, instead opting to just release them on there website
Nickelodeon sabotaged the ratings in Seasons 2 and 3.
>>
>>90451646
True but still, people lost interest in the show compared to how ridiculously popular it used to be in the first season.

And I fucking hate that the only publicity it got after the premiere was the asspulled lesbian ending.
>>
>>90451751
>but still, people lost interest in the show compared to how ridiculously popular it used to be in the first season.
That's because of the multiple time slot changes and the change from airing late Saturday morning to airing Friday evening

>fucking hate that the only publicity it got after the premiere was
It got some on occasion beforehand, mainly back in season 1.

>the asspulled lesbian ending.
It's only an asspull if you assume that they're going to be full on making out and having set and shit. The ending was just a first date
>>
>>90441849
>council is all benders
Not only that but the makeup of the council is also messed up.

The united Republic is former fire nation colonies on what used to be earth kingdom land.
>Earth and Fire get one representative each.
>Water niggers get two reps even though they have nothing to do with the land.
>Air Jews have 5 total citizens (4 of which are children) and they also get a rep despite not paying taxes and getting their own island and expenses paid for by the other citizens.
>>
>>90441849
Chi Blocking should be taught to every non bender to help level the playing field
>>
>>90452214
I undestand the air jews since Zuko is gay for Aang and probably felt very guilty about his great grandpa killing them all.

But how the fuck did he and Kuei allow the Water Tribes to have two representatives?
>>
>>90452481
The Water Tribes are two distinct kingdoms on opposite ends of the earth.

They are literally as far away from each other as possible.
>>
>>90452526
Omashu and Ba Sing Se are as different from each other as the Water Tribes are and they each probably have more people than the SWT.

Also, the United Republic was born as a Fire Nation/Earth Kingdom country.
>>
>>90452526
But they aren't. That was what the whole Civil War plot was about. The South didn't like the North coming in and waving its dick around when they've been autonomous for some 160 years. Technically they were one water tribe, under the rule of the Northern Chief.
>>
>>90452481
Are you saying there is a problem with people who had not even made it to the stone age (Their tools were made out of wood and animal bones) having disproportionate influence over the most advanced industrialized city on the planet?
>>
>>90446329
>Azula was always hyped to be a once in a life time talent, but imo she wasn't that impressive

Because you are an idiot.
>>
>>90452635
No, the problem is that there are 3/5 councilmen represent like 10% of the country's population (unless the Water Tribes had huge immigration waves alongside a ridiculous birth rate in the 70 year timeskip between ATLA and Korra)
>>
>>90452629
You still need representation from the Southern tribe.

How is a Northern representative supposed to accurately represent the south, when its on the opposite end of the earth from them?
>>
>>90453686
How is a Fire Nation representative supposed to represent most of the United Republic's population when Water Tribes get twice as many votes?
>>
>>90452481
President Raiko, could you explain why you have approved the allocation of 3 billion yuan per year to rebuild and defend the air nation when we have a national debt of over 20 trillion Yuan. Not to mention the diplomatic problems created by seizing land in the Earth kingdom to rebuild their air temples.
>>
File: tenzin.jpg (73KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tenzin.jpg
73KB, 1920x1080px
>>90454862
OY WHAT IS IT WITH THIS ANTI-AIRITE RACISM? REMEMBER THE 6 BILLION DEAD AIRBENDERS
>>
>>90452481
One word: OIL

The northern water tribe found he largest reserve of oil in the avatar universe. It's likely they paid for there own spot on the council
>>
>>90454964
>OIL

Welp, it looks like the Southern Water Tribe is in need of some freedom.
>>
File: IMG_0335.jpg (207KB, 664x1204px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0335.jpg
207KB, 664x1204px
Would it be /ss/ if Korra and kid Aang fucked, or would it just be considered masterbation?
>>
>>90455220
Spiritual incest.
>>
>>90434852
>>90434778
This for anyone who says the tech increase in Korra was too jarring.

Motherfucker we couldn't create tanks like this in 2017.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (65KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
65KB, 1280x720px
>>90454940
Tenzin, the data says there were less than 1.5 million airbenders in Total before the war. If we were to believe there was some kind of """genocide""" the cost would be insane, so i doubt the fire nation was the only factor to cleanse the world of the few airbenders it had.
>>
>>90455272
>we couldn't create tanks like this in 2017.
We actually already have a toy car that can do that. In concept it's easy. It's in no way a breakthrough of science, it's just less practical and that's why we don't do it.

How many times in the real world our army needed for tanks to climb mountains?
>>
File: smug tenzin.jpg (96KB, 1358x768px) Image search: [Google]
smug tenzin.jpg
96KB, 1358x768px
>>90455386
Kuvira, it seems that your 40 years in prison sentence just turned into death by hanging
>>
>>90455431
I'm talking apart the flying chain that launches and hooks onto a mountainside and supports a three ton war machine.
>>
>>90455272
It's not that we can't make it, it's that it doesn't work with real physics. Wheels like that would simply cause the tank to dig itself down into the snow and get stuck. The turning mechanism is pointless, as any force great enough to flip a tank over in the air will break it and/or the people inside. The grappling hooks couldn't possibly hold the tank with nothing but snow to grip onto. It's a cartoon Da Vinci construct. It works by rule of cool, not advanced technology.
>>
>>90456672
>three ton war machine
Pic related is a nine ton war machine and it's a lot smaller than the fire nation tanks. They're probably more like 30 tons than three.
>>
korra is a good weapon, but she's a shit leader. she'd be useful in a war the same way a nuclear bomb is useful, in the hands of a capable military leader.
>>
File: Aang Loses His Avatar State.webm (1MB, 960x720px) Image search: [Google]
Aang Loses His Avatar State.webm
1MB, 960x720px
>>90446079
>ATLA just makes more sense; they had stuff moved by coal already, so no real problem with tanks
They're both impossible, just one is more implausible then the other. I don't know why you only have a problem with one but not the other. I don't get people's inconsistent physics autism in a series where magic and spirits are real.

>>90445882
>Toph at least has an excuse that she has to eat, breath, and shit bending

No she doesn't. Using bending just to see see doesn't mean she's training all the time. That's like saying you use your hands all the times so you're constantly training boxing or you're watching fights all the time so clearly you can fight.

>>90446120
>>90446153
Did you niggas forget about pic related happening? They even had a scene with all the avatars disappearing. You don't blame Aang for losing the Avatar State, so why blame Korra instead of Unalaq?

>>90452669
Fuck off Scrapper.

>your next line is "I'm not Scrapper"
>>
>>90457250
Dude fuck off
>>
>>90457529
>You don't blame Aang for losing the Avatar State, so why blame Korra instead of Unalaq?
Because Aang wasn't a contrived character who had to lose all the time to move the plot forward.
>>
>>90457250
>korra is a good weapon
She really isn't.
>>
>>90423965
>mary-sueish
I love when retards use this term without understanding it because it means that I can ignore your argument entirely.
>>
>>90457732
Why are people bringing something that happened very early on in the very first book like it means anything?
>>
>>90457621
>put korra in a position of command
>destructive drama causes the army to crumble
vs
>drop korra from a bison onto a marching army
>korra does her thing and destroys them

yeah no.

i liked korra both as a character and as a show, i just thought both wasted the huge potential of a modern setting, and i feel they rushed things, especially season 1, because they didn't know if they'd get a renewal.

>>90457732
isn't this her first time facing a blocker, and when she just moved into the city? she was shown to be efficient against other benders, especially redshirts.

also, there's that swat scene where korra and the water ambassador dude lead a raid on a terrorist cell that was dope, easily my favorite concept from lok.
>>
>>90457791
>isn't this her first time facing a blocker,
It's one opponent. Aang and the others took on scores of opponents at a single time even on their own.

>>put korra in a position of command
>>destructive drama causes the army to crumble
She gave orders to her group in seasons 2, 3, and 4 for the finales and they came out okay despite letting her down constantly.
>>
>>90457955
didn't aang and the gang get rekt by the chi blocker grill from azula's posse when they first fought them?

they came out ok because lok was written badly.
>>
>>90457786
>Why are people bringing something that happened very early on in the very first book like it means anything?
Because your opening can set the tone for the whole story. Aang gives himself up and gets himself out of Zuko's grasp in the second episode and it shows his selflessness, intelligence, and skill. It showed positive traits that continued to be a staple of Aang's throughout the story.
Meanwhile Korra's first few episodes do nothing for her character positively, especially with how everyone hated how she could bend three elements right off the bat at age 3 without immersing herself in the cultures of earth and fire.
>>
>>90457786
She probably has more experience with each of her elements by that point than Aang has with all of his elements combined when he goes up against Ozai and she's facing off against a literal faceless mook who isn't even a bender. That she later moves up to getting her ass handed to her by named characters, benders and mooks with faces is not relevant. Bryke may say that she's a good fighter, but they show that she's really, really bad.
>>
>>90458010
>didn't aang and the gang get rekt by the chi blocker grill from azula's posse when they first fought them?
Katara, a novice (supposedly) waterbender, and her brother Sokka, who gets by with luck and fun writing because fun. When Aang encounters Ty Lee he dismisses her with one swipe.

Meanwhile Korra, having passed master exams by her mentors, struggled against someone who needs to get close to you to fight. She's got earth all around her and fire moves can be used from a distance yet she deliberately doesn't use her powers.
>>
>>90458138
you might be right, i was mostly basing my posts on my mental picture of each character because it's been ages, but i'll once again hold bad writing responsible.
>>
>>90392822
No, their stories are literally written around their strengths/weaknesses.

Also Korra's story is much too complicated to throw Aang in, with vastly different arcs per season as compared to ATLA's mostly consistent straight shot.
>>
>>90458330
>No, their stories are literally written around their strengths/weaknesses.
Which could still be a thing.
If Korra's tribe was wiped out like Aang's airbending culture, she'd be out for revenge to contrast Aang's "everyone I knew is dead - is that a koi fish!?!" In a time of war, hatred and revenge would just bring about more hatred and revenge and so finding peaceful solutions and letting go (like how LoK wanted to try and do) would still be something to explore.
>>
>>90429012
>It also makes the final confrontation with Azula even more depressing for the ramifications about hard work never equaling natural talent.

Zuko was on pretty equal standing with Azula during their final fight. The only reason why Katara had to step in was because Azula sent a bolt of lightning at her which Zuko blocked.
>>
>>90456672
That's just a very hard chain, it has nothing to do with tecnology.
>>
>>90457529
>They're both impossible
I really don't see the issue with the tank moved with coal when they already had ships like that since episode 1

>inconsistent physics
the issue is not just physics; it's a tecnological leap.

>Did you niggas forget about pic related happening? They even had a scene with all the avatars disappearing
again: losing connection =/= KILLING the past lives. If he had destroyed them, Korra would not even be an avatar.

>You don't blame Aang for losing the Avatar State, so why blame Korra instead of Unalaq
because Korra actually gave Unalaq the power to defeat her while Aang was simply defeated when he lost connection.
>>
>>90457786
>Why are people bringing something that happened very early on in the very first book like it means anything
because if the idea is to change settings in a way that S01 Korra would go to S01 ATLA, then we must use her past as an example. As we see, she would die in the first 5 minutes of show.
>>
>>90457529
>You don't blame Aang for losing the Avatar State, so why blame Korra instead of Unalaq?
Because if Korra had decided to stay home and not fuck everything up, she wouldn't have killed off all her past lives and the events of S3 and S4 wouldn't have happened.

By contrast, Aang got blindsided during a crucial moment and only lost his connection to his past lives, not killed them.
>>
>>90459405
>she would die in the first 5 minutes of show.
As much of a jobber she was, I'm sure that she could handle Zuko and Zhao, who were even worse jobbers.
>>
>>90459599
>As much of a jobber she was, I'm sure that she could handle Zuko and Zhao, who were even worse jobbers.
You have to also factor in how much people hate her so that's why it's "first 5 minutes of show." If she was in AtLA then she'd have the writers from AtLA so she'd actually have a good and satisfying journey.

It's a shame that her canon show depicts her in such a negative light too; it's why we have such terrible greentext and porn situations with her.
>>
>>90459599
Forget Zuko and Zhao, Korra would probably lose to regular fire nation soldiers.
>>
>>90460022
She actually did well against mooks with the exception of the first time she went up against chi blockers.

Her biggest problem is that her show didn't have enough mooks or a recurring jobber like Zuko to pad out her fighting record against.
>>
>>90458124
>and she's facing off against a literal faceless mook who isn't even a bender

>people say there's no inequality between benders and non-benders
>immediately dismiss someone as a threat because they can't bend
Amon was right

>>90458138
Aang struggled with Jet, who needs to get close to fight. A lot of the fights even between benders take place a lot closer than they need to. You just like shitting on Korra.

>>90459335
Are you purposely ignoring the tanks ability to climb up cliffs, flip around, run on all terrain, etc.? Shit that also doesn't work in real life?

>>90459500
>Because if Korra had decided to stay home and not fuck everything up, she wouldn't have killed off all her past lives and the events of S3 and S4 wouldn't have happened.
If she just stayed home, then shit would still go down and people would bitch about her being a bad Avatar anyways

>Aang got blindsided during a crucial moment and only lost his connection to his past lives, not killed them.
That was more plot induced stupidity. And who says Korra can't re-gain her connection to the past lives?

>>90460022
Now you're just shitposting.
>>
>>90460084
>If she just stayed home, then shit would still go down and people would bitch about her being a bad Avatar anyways
Not if she had actually decided to defer spiritual nonsense to people who were actually familiar with spiritual nonsense, rather than deciding to fix the whole spirit world thing on her own when she couldn't even airbend without brute-forcing her way through it like she tried doing with everything else.
>That was more plot induced stupidity. And who says Korra can't re-gain her connection to the past lives?
Besides the fact that the show is over now? The fact that we basically see all her past lives fading away? The fact that she's now effectively on a new cycle of avatar, which was reflected in her avatar state in S3 being berzerker mode rather than complete control over the four elements?
>>
>>90460084
>Are you purposely ignoring the tanks ability to climb up cliffs
again, that's not tecnologically advanced; it's literally a rope tied to a tank

>flip around
we actually have a car that works like that. The reason we don't have a tank like that is because it's fucking useless considering people don't have the power to move earth
>>
>>90461392
>considering people don't have the power to move earth
Wouldn't that be a reason that they'd make that big dumb mech? Tanks can be overturned and taken over by people with the power to move earth. Even trying to sink something like the huge stupid mech would have it clamber for a hold using its arms. It's height would allow it to fire down at opposition close to it as well.
>>
>>90395098
>"You can't run forever!"
>"You can't fight forever"

Why was Aang so good?
>>
>>90461562
>Wouldn't that be a reason that they'd make that big dumb mech
that would be a reason NOT to do it; or at least not to do it bipedal as it can easily fall

>Tanks can be overturned and taken over by people
not a giant tank. Unless you have an insane number of earthbenders, i think. And again, you can just make it work on both ways. But i think that's besides the point; bipedal movement is a tecnology we cannot achieve even today because it's too damn hard; hell.. to begin with, you need COMPUTERS to program it, something they clearly didn't have in LoK. The mechas shouldn't exist to begin with.
>>
>>90461869
>something they clearly didn't have in LoK
IIRC Junior rummaging through the innards of the panel in one scene where Zhu Li has sabotaged the firing gun shows things that seem like stuff you'd find in a computer.

Despite being able to fall as it is bipedal, it had arms that could pick itself back up plus the use of its legs.
>>
>People imply Zuko would have stayed evil

WRONG, WRONG, WRONG.

First off, Iroh was still there to guide him.

Secondly, he wanted to be fire lord. He would not get to be fire lord with Azula around.

Third, I'm pretty sure he'd get a crush on Korra, with the massive obsession he had with Aang
>>
>>90463518
Zuko's shift in his way of thinking had nothing to do with Aang as a person.

Heck, he only joined Aang because he knew that he was the only person that could stop his father.
>>
>>90451477
Don't talk shit about my waifu
>>
Anyone else think Marvel/DC should buy the rights to this franchise?

>interesting and unique concept
>has proven to be successful
>could be used to expand on there existing characters

Not sure which I would prefer though.
>>
Does anyone have HD rips of the original series?
>>
>>90451646
As much as you might want to blame everything on Nickelodeon. All they really did was strengthen an already discernible trend.
The show was already on a failing spiral which is why they killed it.
If anything Nickelodeon gave it a very good chance and lots of prime marketing.
Thread posts: 312
Thread images: 32

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.