[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Have you seen the reviews on comicbookroundup?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 533
Thread images: 55

File: marvel's new wonder woman.jpg (244KB, 900x1366px) Image search: [Google]
marvel's new wonder woman.jpg
244KB, 900x1366px
Have you seen the reviews on comicbookroundup?
>>
>>90359002

Comicosity - Allen Thomas
>If were being real, America #1 nearly brings me to tears. The story is constructed in such an intimate, real, and human way, something which is heartbreakingly rare in comics. Theres so much that I can see in the everyday life of queer people of color, but the entire team takes it even further by looking at the wonderful details of a young lesbian Latinas life. I cant speak to the totality of Americas of experiences as a queer Latina, but I imagine theres something in this story that many people, especially those who rarely if ever see themselves in comics, have been aching for, and moreover that they deserve. This first issue is everything I wanted and more, and it speaks to the optimism in me regarding representation and the hope that maybe, just maybe, the House of Ideas will listen to what the readers of this story will say, are saying, and have been saying for years.
>>
>>90359002

Nerds On The Rocks
>America #1 definitely lives up to the hype as Gabby Rivera, Joe Quinones, Joe Rivera, Paolo Rivera, and Jose Villarrubia create a powerful, yet occasionally lost and world weary heroine in America Chavez. There are punching, one-liners, and even some surprises too, and you should check it out.
>>
>>90359002

Comicsverse - Kat Vendetti
>AMERICA #1 is a stellar debut for America Chavez's solo series. Rivera writes a confident and multidimensional America, while Quinones and Villarubia illuminate the pages with energy and vibrancy. Above all, AMERICA #1 speaks from the heart, delivering powerful messages to readers through encouraging narration, as well as through a new vision of patriotism.
>>
>>90359002
I take it they liked Brown Lesbian U.
>>
>>90359002

Newsarama - Pierce Lydon
>The change is here. It’s right now. It’s going to wreck everything. And comic books will be so much better for it.

Graphic Policy - SHAY REVOLVER
>Overall, I found this issue to be a rapid-fire, clever and interesting setup. The writing is solid and appropriate for a young superhero, the story was realistic (in comic book storytelling format). The main character is thoroughly fleshed out, auxiliary characters were shown in a way that not only introduced them but, gave an insight to their personality. This is a great comic book for tweens and up.

Geeked Out Nation - Jess Camacho
>“America” is off to a strong start that captures all aspects of this character in a way that will please longtime fans and new fans alike. I can only hope that this series is allowed to run its course and be all that it aspires to be.

The Beat - Alexander Jones
>It is admirable that Marvel is demarcating their dedication to expanding the range of their characters' identities (at least in their books. Movies are another situation). No longer is every superhero a white, cisgendered person in tight spandex. Superheroes are now reflections of a culture that is coming around the notion that virtuous people don't have to fill some pre- fabricated mold. America #1 is a testament to Marvel's role as an ink-and- paper leader for diversity in action!
>>
>>90359002
Has there ever been a book to important to cancel? I'm worried fear of the resulting shit storm may stop Marvel from doing whats necessary around issue 9 or earlier depending on just how bad sales are.
>>
>>90359002
What did you think of America #1 /co?
>>
>>90359002
Probably one of the cringiest comics I've read in a while. Not necessarily the worst but I wouldn't say its very good.
>>
>>90359002
All of these reviews are disgusting, thank you. This fucking issue... I honestly want to believe its someone parodying a liberal viewpoint but goddammit I know that these are the sincerely held viewpoints of the author.

Just, wtf were they thinking when approving half of this shit...
>>
File: money-in-hand.jpg (342KB, 1000x634px) Image search: [Google]
money-in-hand.jpg
342KB, 1000x634px
>>
>>90359002

What did you expect? These kinds of books are literally immune to criticism.
>>
>http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviews/marvel-comics
>These reviews
>America the only 9.0

Can't hide bullshit this big
>>
>>90359162
>9.0
>>
>>90359162
>>90359237
>but user rating 5.1
There is still hope
>>
>>90359140
dude I just wanna see what /co thinks about this cringy piece of shit getting amazing reviews.
>>
>>90359002
Is she the same character from Young Avengers? She doesn't seems to be the same person. Did I miss something?
>>
>>90359002
>Have you seen the reviews on comicbookroundup?
You how you can tell that none of those are legit?

Because even the Marble Reddit (which is normally a fucking hugbox) his shitting all over it:

"Yeesh. That was super cringe-worthy. I had an extremely difficult time actually finishing the issue."

"Don't even know what other comic I've read that was as bad as this one. Like damn."

"Bad, bad writing. This is what happens when you dig up a writer who's only previous work is self-published erotica. But it's better than Champions."

"I could stick with champions for five issues, at least it was alright for its first issue, if a little underwhelming. This was just a dumpster fire."

"Could you just imagine if they had Captain America talking about giving someone his Caucasian fist?

Good god this was bad."

And on and on just like that:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Marvel/comments/5wshp0/new_marvel_comics_for_march_1st_2017_official/
>>
Who cares about what comic "critics" think? Shit they say that are good gets canned after 10 issues
>>
>>90359365
>Is she the same character from Young Avengers?
Yes. In theory.

>She doesn't seems to be the same person.
That seems to be the consensus, yes.

>Did I miss something?
Shitty writing by a literal who.
>>
>>90359002
>Have you seen the reviews on comicbookroundup?
If you look up the reviews of last week's Batgirl (MISGENDERED!) you'll see the exact same shit with these liberal fucks falling all over themselves to Virtue Signal with both fucking hands.
>>
Look, I've seen worse Marvel #1's

But by no stretch of the imagination was it good.
>>
>>90359477
This.
I find it baffling how NO one is willing to point out any weaknesses.
>>
I literally start laughing at the people who use cisgender in a serious sentence like it's an actual scientific word that means anything.
>>
>>90359416
What happened in Batgirl?
>>
>>90359002
These are the same people that lauded Whor's debut despite how absolutely terribly written it was.

They're either paid off or beyond indoctrinated, this isn't shocking.
>>
>>90359366
>Because even the Marble Reddit
Make a thread about it on /r/comicbooks. Come on, I dare you. They like Riri and were sad to see Hellcat canceled.
>>
Granted I dont have prior knowledge of this character, but this book didn't really bother me. Am I missing something?
>>
>>90359366
>But it's better than Champions.
SJWaid at his worst is a -little- bit better than this trash, but it's still shit
>>
>>90359670
Did you think it was good?

The art wasn't particularly refined or even good in my opinion and the pacing seemed all over place. They move around the globe, times/worlds and different settings in such a fast pace I can hardly start to give a shit about any of it.

I'm more triggered by no one pointing that out and giving it 9/10s like it is an absolute masterpiece than the SJW stuff.
>>
>>90359002
Who gives a fuck about some normie reviews?
>>
>>90359670
It's liberal media being spewed from Marvel's mouthpiece. Nobody ever expects marvel to have liberal bias. You should be alarmed and surprised
>>
The comic "reviewer" industry needs it's own gamergate.

There is no way these people legitimately believe what they're writing.
>>
>>90359670
>I dont have prior knowledge of this character
Her backstory is totally interesting XDD
YAS QUEEN
>>
>>90359056
Man, I'm an old school lefty but feel so detached from the modern left. I can't belief that someone would use a word like cisgendered unironically.
>>
>>90359024
>Joe Rivera, Paolo Rivera,

They only did the cover though. I bet the reviewer has no idea who this people are.
>>
>>90359366
The Marvel reddit is surprisingly better than most places. Though, the Marvelstudios reddit is flat out retarded.

On the subject, I feel like this book is going to be the straw to break the camel's back. We have so many books like this (Squrriel Girl, Hellcat, Hawkeye, Unstoppable Wasp) and all of them share the same tone. If the stupid gimmick in the 90's was every edgy super hero going after Sadam Hussain, then the feminist girl does slice of life things is the tedious trend of today. People are starting to realize this is crap, and of course reviewers say it's great. Reviewers want people to come and praise their stuff and keep coming back.
>>
>>90359836
Seriously, how can people get paid to write this uninformed garbage?
>>
The writer herself shows up on the first page as the "She's our future" woman. Do you really need to know what went wrong with this book?
>>
>>90359670

I don't know how could you even enjoy it without previous knowledge of who Chavez is since it does nothing to explain her character outside of being brown. And lack of taste of course.
>>
>>90359865
Yeah, it's a great experience for newcomers who have no idea who the fuck she is.

>a whole page of people singing her praises with no context
>Occasional spews of backstory like 'two moms from another universe'
>America generally acts like an asshole
>Holy menstruation
>Spergs at her girlfriend and acts like a humongous asshole over a minor disagreement.

If they're trying to make people like her, Marvel are being pants-shittingly retarded about it.
>>
>>90359056
>And comic books will be so much better for it
Yep, those horrible sales figures are going to be so good for comic books.
>>
>>90359819
Naw, Marvel is heading for a crash. They're doing so poorly that they are announcing their next reboot's titles sooner to try and keep afloat, and those books are probably going to fail just as fast. Like, is anyone really hyped for anything Ressuerxion? How about the Defenders/Luke Cage/Iron Fist/Rocket Raccoon/etc books being announced?

See, there is nothing wrong with a liberal message, but if you have no real story and are just putting your fanfiction tier stories to page, nobody is going to care.
>>
>>90359828
Cause the "struggle" used to be based on empty stomachs, now it's based on feels and sex drives.

>Arise you prisoners of starvation
>Arise you wretched of the earth
>For justice thunders condemnation
>For a better world's in birth

>No more tradition's chains shall bind us
>Arise you slaves, no more in thrall
>The earth shall rise on new foundations
>We have been naught, we shall be all

>This is the final conflict
>Let each stand in their place
>The international working class
>Will save the human race

>So comrades, come rally
>And the last fight let us face
>The international working class
>Will save the human race
>>
>>90359828
It's like being swarmed around with an army of Jar Jar Binks. Yes, you do agree with them, but lord, you are embarrassed to be around them.
>>
File: tmp_5563-14867891848701967751430.jpg (169KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_5563-14867891848701967751430.jpg
169KB, 1920x1080px
>>90359632
The two threads I saw were largely negative about it, and the negativity was actually upvoted to the top, I was shocked but pleased.
>>
>>90359928
Critically they're still getting the best reviews. As for sales wise, just wait until all their big names come back
>>
>>90359903
Why even have her gf move in to somewhere she doesn't want to when you can just kick open a portal to them whenever? Wtf is that
>>
I couldn't even make it past the first page. I just ended up looking at the ones that had lots of replies, and it looks awful even by modern Marvel standards.
>>
>"""""journalists""""" suck off mediocre schlock because there's a brown lady in it

And water's wet.

Holy menstruation someone end me.

Shit's still gonna be canceled after 6.
>>
>>90359928
Nothing in this comic is merely "liberal".

Its so radically far left that people can't even tell if it's a parody.

Think about what makes the Flintstones ongoing great, and Marvel irredeemable trash.
>>
>>90359903
>If they're trying to make people like her, Marvel are being pants-shittingly retarded about it.
Why try to make people like her when her fanbase is already created from Young Avengers Vol 2? YAAAS QUEEN!

I really hate how this obnoxious side of the internet is guiding Marvel now. Everyone wants to be like YA Vol 2, but the thing is, as much as I hate that run, Kieron at least had unique ideas he brought to it. Every other shitburger fangirl just read that run and went "I'm going to write this character!" but they have no imagination of their own. Like, having Chavez go back in time to punch Hitler and cause a paradox? All within 3 pages? RIVETING Storytelling. Even in story, that doesn't make much sense, because Chavez is from another dimension! Does she punch the Hitler from every dimension? And I'm sure some fangirl would go "HELL YEAH SHE DOES!" "Make America punch Hilter in every dimension! She's so perf!"
>>
>>90359974
Feels like an excuse to make her look strong and sassy and independent. It comes across as her being a stupid asshole.

If I was the blonde, I'd want to get as far from the bipolar superwoman as I could too.
>>
>>90360007
I swear, if the blonde has to apologize to her...

Then again, I would not be shocked if this is all a ploy to get her to bang Kate Bishop.
>>
>>90359903
If America can make portals that can cross time and space, then why does she need her girlfriend to move with her? Why can't she just teleport back to her gf at the end of the day?
>>
>>90360023

Congratulations, you put more thought into it than the writer did.
>>
>>90359742
>Did you think it was good?

I assumed I naturally missed certain details because I dont know about the character, but I did feel everything was *too* fast. I think I got the gist of what was going on though. Also, I didn't mind the art; particularly I liked the page where she was wearing her "America"-themed glasses inside of that spaceship

Basically I wouldnt mind reading another issue to see where it goes but its not like I think highly of this introduction
>>
>>90359574
She beat up Magpie in one panel after 18 pages of nothing
>>
>>90360035
HOLY MENSTRUATION!
>>
>>90359865
"enjoy" is a strong word, moreso it wasn't particularly egregious

but yes I wish the issue slowed down to establish the main character more. From what I gather she's a popular young superheroine who has dating issues and is a bit headstrong
>>
>>90360023
This is a character that said 'holy menstruation.' She's not very smart.

>>90360018
>if the blonde has to apologize to her...

She's white and America's douchebag nature is 'charming' so of course she will.
>>
I hated how everyone was calling Monica "Mon". It made everyone sound like they were doing a bad Jamaican accent. Why not just call her Monica or Spectrum?
>>
>>90360074
lol, that and the "brown fist" part made me laugh. Is she someone who's known for making her own lingo or is that something the writer introduced?
>>
>>90360091
I thought the exact same thing until Carol said it and I knew they wouldn't have a white lady unironically say something like that
>>
File: PqxEtET.jpg (108KB, 621x616px) Image search: [Google]
PqxEtET.jpg
108KB, 621x616px
>>90359056
>The writing is solid and appropriate for a young superhero
>>90359024
>There are punching, one-liners
>>
Which is the worst of the new batch of WOKE shit? Champions? America? Mockingbird? The Movement? Some other contender?

>>90359073
Instant legend, like OUR LOVE IS REAL or GIRLS. And it's only been one issue. Brown fisting is an instant meme. Future generations will see this book as a high spot in it's style in the same way the 90's ran on pure lefieldium.

>>90359002
If I gave a fuck about reviews, I could calibrate which reviewers I would never need to look at again by seeing which ones popped for this, and slammed Flintstones.
>>
>>90360074
This was the first thing I've ever read of America, but from what people were saying in the storytime about how the people from her dimension worshiped Wiccan is true then her saying "holy menstruation" makes no sense. Wiccan, their "god" is a man and doesn't menstruate, so menstruation would hold no religious significance.
>>
>>90359819
>There is no way these people legitimately believe what they're writing.

I disagree. You don't have the incestuous free shit for reviews in comics in the same way because comics can be pirated so easily.

These people do it for free. Or rather, if they didn't do this, they wouldn't have been hired.

Their rating is based on how much they agree politically. And they're absolutely up front about it.
>>
>>90360130
It's amazing how close America got to Mockingbird's level of awfulness in the span of a single issue.
>>
>>90360130
>worst of the new batch of WOKE shit? Champions? America? Mockingbird? The Movement?
My vote goes to Champions because it manages to flush down more characters who could have been good than the others.
>>
>>90360168
>Their rating is based on how much they agree politically. And they're absolutely up front about it.
That's kind of the problem. Instead of viewing things as stories/entertainment, they view it as "How much do the politics resonate". Instead offering intriguing ideas, it offers the same ones. It's like how Tumblr loved Home because "Black girl who isn't sexualized"
>>
>>90360186
I still say that only issue 3 and the last issue of Mockingbird were the truly awful ones.
>>
>>90359067
The omega men
>>
>>90359366
Scanbro didnt like it, and when i read it, i got bored really fast. I trust scanbro much more than paid shills.

Also, this looks a lot like the ghostbusters drama from last year. Critics love it because its proresssive, the masses dont follow.
>>
>>90360130
>Which is the worst of the new batch of WOKE shit? Champions? America? Mockingbird? The Movement? Some other contender?

Forgot about Kate Leth. Take your pick.
>>
>>90360077
>she's a popular young superheroine who has dating issues and is a bit headstrong

I don't even know why she is popular. Did the Young Avengers became popular with the main stream across the universes? I stopped reading after vol1, but right now I know Chavez is/was in a team that's supposed to be secret. So no idea why everyone in the multiverse recognises her.

Also a bit head strong is an understatement.
>>
Here's my review:
I like my delicious brown waifu fit. Nice abs.
The rest of the book is shit.
>>
>>90360168
>Their rating is based on how much they agree politically.

This is the entire problem with modern capeshit, and it's (((reviewers))).

Why the fuck does it even have a political message to begin with?

I want to read an engaging story about interestingly relatable characters... not author stand-ins to serve as their mouth piece to spew shitty radical leftists opinions, followed by them fighting a straw man just to show how ""right"" the author is about their beliefs.
>>
>>90359011
>If were being real, America #1 nearly brings me to tears. The story is constructed in such an intimate, real, and human way, something which is heartbreakingly rare in comics
Is this person for real?
>>
>>90360497
Sites like CBR won't stop gushing about Vol 2 of Young Avengers. Hell, most people pretend that Vol 1 of YA never even happened!
>>
>>90360276
That's happening a lot these days.
>>
File: Gigli-011.jpg (229KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Gigli-011.jpg
229KB, 1024x768px
>>90359982
Man, remember when you used to be able to hate something despite it starring a female minority in it?
>>
>>90360130
>If I gave a fuck about reviews, I could calibrate which reviewers I would never need to look at again by seeing which ones popped for this, and slammed Flintstones.

Any reviewer who praised this shlock and didn't like Flintstones should be fired, no joke. My LCS has a "recommendations" wall, and it had Squirrel Girl on it, but not Flintstones and I asked the owner about that it. I told him if the people working here know so little about comics they would recommend that shit but not Flintstones or Vision when it was out I don't think their opinions are worth listening to.
>>
>>90360562
I think there's nothing wrong with a political message. The bigger problem is that they completely ignore all the problems the comic has because of it.

What use is it for a pro reviewer to let me know what works he politically agrees with? That's worthless.
>>
>>90359851
It's funny too because a lot of these writers really think they're being revolutionary and breaking the norm of "straight dudes" as they call em.

There's gotta be a liberal comic that doesn't suck.
>>
>>90359670
Here comes damage control
>>
>>90361210
I unno. Is Green Arrow any good?
>>
>>90359031
>as well as through a new vision of patriotism.
What, there was nothing about patriotism other than that out of left field sequence where she just punches Hitler out of nowhere
>>
>>90359575
Whor was outselling old Thor anon
>>
>>90359819
>Gamergate

you mean that thing that only /pol/ cared about and spammed on all the boards even though it had nothing to do with videogames?
>>
>>90361368
That's not the point.

It's a tiny few notches above America in quality, but reviewers were still treating it like the second coming of Jesus.
>>
>>90360934
Those were the days...
>>
>>90359056
>It’s going to wreck everything.
Spot on.
>>
>>90359056
>No longer is every superhero a white, cisgendered person in tight spandex
They haven't been in a long time.
>>
File: mexicans celebrating dicaprio.jpg (155KB, 1024x710px) Image search: [Google]
mexicans celebrating dicaprio.jpg
155KB, 1024x710px
Mexican here. Can anyone give me a quick rundown on this book and why are so many of you triggered?
>>
Honestly this is terrible. Some schmuck would plan to get into comics, look up reviews online. See America has really high rating, get it. And have this >>90344509 as the first introduction they get to current mainstream comics.
>>
>>90361399
What? You mean /v/'s combination of rage and fedoraness was completely unrelated?

>>90360735
Considering that his ratings on comics are consistently predictable based on how brown and gay the work is, I think so. He's a true believer. One exception: Genny Tartoski's Luke Cage, which he blasts for being raacist.

>>90361501
Just read the book, miho. It's in the catalog, or archives. Possibly multiple times.
>>
>>90361194
>I think there's nothing wrong with a political message.

That's because you're wrong.

If you want to read political cartoons, read Kelly.

The political message is what causes pretty much every problem in a comic that isn't art. The characters become one dimensional, the plot convoluted, the dialogue cringe inducing, and the entire thing one gigantic strawman supporting the authors entirely shitty political opinions that nobody wanted to hear about in the first place.
>>
>>90361559
>What? You mean /v/'s combination of rage and fedoraness was completely unrelated?

In that one case oddly enough. It wasnt getting deleted from /v/ because people were arguing about game reviews. It was getting deleted because the focus was on the whore that was sleeping around which had nothing to do with /v/. So then it found its place on /pol/ where the constant complaint was women spreading their legs get everything they want. Even the copy pasta focused on the female aspect and barely even bothered to mention the industry, the game, or reviews in general
>>
>>90361501
Thanks for perpetuating the lazy wetback stereotype my fellow beaner.
>>
File: 1488397606690.png (847KB, 799x609px) Image search: [Google]
1488397606690.png
847KB, 799x609px
>>90359011
>>90359024
>>90359031
>>90359056
All you need to do is put a brown person in the comic and honky libcucks bend over backwards to prove how "progressive" they are

>>90361501
because it's not good
>>90296221
>>
>>90359836
They actually inked the interiors.
>>
>>90361591
I disagree.

It's not the existence of the political message, in and of itself that's the problem. There's plenty of good, great and even superior works with political messages. The current Flintstones run is astounding. The boondocks. Chris Priest's Black Panther run, V for Vendetta. Transmetropolitan.

No. The problem you describe is twofold. First, is politics first with bad execution, which makes a lot of the shit read like a chick tract. The second is how ideologically lock step all these fuckers are. It's completely predictable and boring.
>>
>>90361647
You're being lazy as well by not telling me.
>>
>>90361399
>you mean that thing that only /pol/ cared about and spammed on all the boards even though it had nothing to do with videogames?

Nah triple nigger, just throwing a stick into the editorial orgy and watching twenty-seven separate journalist websites post the exact article at the exact time, then delete and change those articles. Or reuploading deleted photos.

It's become a post-2013 internet past time to show people every now and then that the ones behind the industry are even more mentally stunted than those buying from the industry, it's meant to be the other way around.
>>
>>90359790
>Nobody ever expects marvel to have liberal bias.
How fucking new are you?
>>
>>90361501

ur book is shit lmao get a real job
>>
>>90359031
>multidimensional
Does this mean multifaceted here? How do you even achieve that in 24 comics pages of modern comics?
>>
File: Rarity.jpg (47KB, 625x625px) Image search: [Google]
Rarity.jpg
47KB, 625x625px
>>90359011
>Allen Thomas
Looks like a very normal individual
>>
>>90361796
Her power is to travel to other dimensions.
>>
>>90359056
>America #1 is a testament to Marvel's role as an ink-and- paper leader for diversity in action!
Kek.
>>
>>90359002
Has there been a single negative review? Hell, has there even been an average review? I knew comic book reviewers were all shit but this is ridiculous.
>>
>>90359011
>The story is constructed in such an intimate, real, and human

having most of the characters acting like groupies for your lead is not real and human
>>
>>90359002
>fag nigger
DROPPED
>>
BEHOLD

https://www.reddit.com/r/comicbooks/comments/5x39fm/what_explains_this_big_difference_of_opinions/
>>
>>90361722
>The current Flintstones run is astounding.
Specifically because it's -not- pushing a political message.

>The boondocks.
Is pretty much a political cartoon.

Never read the next two.

>Transmetropolitan
Also great, specifically because it's -not- pushing a political message.

Unless you're 12, and read it without realizing that Spider is gigantic hypocritical piece of shit who is frequently wrong about everything.

>First, is politics first with bad execution, which makes a lot of the shit read like a chick tract.
I was actually thinking about how this is basically a leftist chick tract.

It's more than possible for a comic to contain political -themes-. The Flintstones had an arc with a stand-in for gay marriage, without weighing in on whether it was good or bad (and was funny as well). Transmetropolitan dealt with some of the dangers of capitalism and democracy, without going full blown "THIS IS WHY EVERYONE SHOULD EMBRACE COMMUNISM!!"

When a comic pushes a political viewpoint, then it is always, 100% shit. The universe becomes even less believable than an flying man who shoots lasers out of his eyes, and absolutely everything suffers because of it.
>>
>>90359670
>There is no narrative structure. It's just a loose series of unrelated events.

>She can literally teleport but her and her girlfriend break up because GF doesn't want to move to where the university is

>Adolf Hitler happens to just be casually standing right behind her, in the middle of a battlefield during WW2.

Anon you need to read some good comic books.
>>
>>90360082
>This is a character that said 'holy menstruation.' She's not very smart.

You know what would make the comic readable? Give America her own Great Gazoo. A little green dude that follows her around and constantly points out when she does or says something fucking stupid.

"You don't need her to move, stupid. You can make portals."
>"...with my little brown fist!"
"You're rearing red gloves, dum-dum.
>"Holy menstruation!"
"Oh my god, are you retarded?"
>>
>>90359011
Are these people for real?
>>
File: Haruko.png (303KB, 816x720px) Image search: [Google]
Haruko.png
303KB, 816x720px
>>90359002
>marvel has resorted to paying critics now to boost sales

the butthurt & backpedaling is going to be amazing when this book gets cancelled in a few months
>>
>>90362120
>a few months
How many issues are they going to inflict on the world until then?

Can this be considered treason under U.S. law?
>>
>>90361833
Yeah I know but it felt like reviewer was trying to say multifaceted. Here >>90359056 another reviewer calls character "thoroughly fleshed out." It seems like they don't actually know what the term actually means.
>>
>>90359056
Leftism is a mental disorder.
>>
>>90359067
Marvel lets some books like this get away with terrible sales.

Moon Girl, Squirrel Girl, Hellcat (until #17)
>>
>>90361906
Fuck you, faggot.
>>
>>90361501
It feels like a parody and it lacks self awareness.

>The issue begins with people telling you why America is so amazing and you should like it. The vocabulary is...outdated, to say the least.
>The sudden inclusions of Spanish in the dialogue are just cringeworthy
> America's "queer poc" identity is brought up every 2 seconds...merely in the intro page, let alone the entire issue. And it's not even in a natural way like, say, spending time with her girlfriend (thought there's a bit of that). She does it in an artificial, unsubtle way, like shouting "taste my brown fist!" to a monster of white light.
> There's also expressions like "for princess Leia's sake!" or "holy menstruation!".
>Also her character developement is hindered by dumping her girlfriend in the first issue.
>The issue ends with her travelling to WWII and punching Hitler, who for some reason is in the middle of a battlefield
>>
File: 1488314662524.jpg (40KB, 244x237px) Image search: [Google]
1488314662524.jpg
40KB, 244x237px
>>90359073
I haven't read it, has it been storytimed?
>>
They repeat her backstory like 3 times in the same issue. "I wish my moms were here" holy fuck. Only the subtle dig of 'tweens and up' seems fair.
>>
>>90359073
Probably the worst issue I have read all my life. The only thing I can say that I liked was her costume, literally everything else was dogshit. The fucking zeitgheist of Marvel Nower and their leftist leanings ruining comics.
>>
>>90360799
>>90360276

that's because critics have little to no credibility nowadays since everyone realized they can be bought & sold like boipussy in prison
>>
>>90359632
They're pretty negativein the WPL thread
>>
>>90359162
These numbers means jack shit, a fucking 9/10. What monumental horse shit.
>>
>>90359056
Strange, out of all the comic reviewers (Bleedingcool, CBR, AV Club, Comicsalliance), Newsarama always struck me as the less SJW one.
>>
>>90362201
>There's also expressions like "for princess Leia's sake!" or "holy menstruation!".
>Also her character developement is hindered by dumping her girlfriend in the first issue.
>The issue ends with her travelling to WWII and punching Hitler, who for some reason is in the middle of a battlefield
Holy shit. This is like every SJW's dream.
>>
>>90361960
>Flintstones and Transmet aren't political
Senpai
>>
>>90362279
Yes pham?
>>
>>90359366
Marvel Rebbit doesn't blindly defend a comic starring a minority? How did this happen?
>>
>>90362142
my best guess will probably at least 6 maybe 12 at most keep in mind if she's meant to be a plan B if carol bombs they're going to be a little more flexible with her sales
>>
>>90359477
>Look, I've seen worse Marvel #1's

Name them then.
>>
>>90360091
Reminded me of the trolls in warcraft 3.
>>
>>90360276
Critics are paid shills and ideologues. It has been stated previously but the comic book industry needs their fucking gamergate to at least lessen their stranglehold on it.
>>
>>90362336
>If Carol bombs
>If
>>
>>90359011
Ok the comic isnt bad.
But this text is way exxagerated.
The books feels rather cheesy but this is more like a praise and without context i would thgink is sarcasm.
>>
Are these people aware that Miss America was created as a fetish fulfillment character ?
>>
I hope you people aren't merely complaining about this on /co/, instead of ripping apart these reviews in their comments section and downvoting this shit wherever possible.
>>
Hold up, /co/. You're telling me she's a hispanic POC lesbian superhero, the leader of the best superhero team in fact, who comes from a matriarchal world where two women can have a kid by themselves filled with black people?

Who the fuck wrote this, Tumblr?
>>
>>90362611
Why though? Book's gonna tank anyway, who cares.
>>
>>90362336
If this is plan B, I don't want to see what Plan C is.
>>
>>90359024
>Gabby Rivera
>Joe Quinones
>Joe Rivera
>Paolo Rivera
>Jose Villarrubia
Mira la cantidad de chicanos, por Dios
>>
>>90361399
Triggered the BBC, The Guardian, WSJ, etc so much so that they're still going on about it.
>>
>>90362611
Don't think such a campaign is necessary in this case. Nobody but hardcore Tumblrisms and paid critics seems to even vaguely like it.
>>
>>90361405
Thor (Jane) is way above America and nowhere near as cringey, it has some bad moments but thats it, I was one of the people who praised her a lot when she debutted and I still do, I never read Thor before so saw it as a new jumping on point, it's not the best comic ever but Jane is cute
>>
>>90362394
Squirrel girl.
>>
>>90361210
What kills me is that they are all doing the exact same thing. Nobody is changing it up!
>>
>>90362678
She also says things like giving people her brown fist

she is literally a alternative world neo nazi
>>
File: Young_Avengers.jpg (141KB, 791x1200px) Image search: [Google]
Young_Avengers.jpg
141KB, 791x1200px
>>90359073
Its a solid book. It tries a little bit too hard to be Stuart Immonen written. Art is Ok. Action at the start was Ok to forget that for a 1# it was way too much fleshing out setting. The setup of the direction and America character was solid too.
Its feels like 80s/90s cheesy like with sometimes a little bit cringy and stereotype dialoges or behaviour.
If this replaces Hellcat in manpower, oh i mean workpower, and money, i approve it. If it would be an young avenger book thing, i would buy it. But regarding the agenda from Marvel and the fear of "girl power" getting too much spotlight crippling the story i will pass it and read it maybe online.
>>
>>90362560
>>90362810
>>90362678
Yes she is a little bit too much wishfullfilment and sets some stereotypes in stone here.
>>
There were way too many ridiculous things going on for it to be a good comic. The entire school campus with the lesbians doing a choreographed routine spontaneously to recruit America was eye rolling. Hell, the entire school part was insane.
>>
>>90362817
Fuck you, shill.
>>
>>90362810
Imagine if she was? Like in her alternate world, Spain won the Spanish-American war an conqueror most of the continent. The USA is basically the east coast and Mexico is the dominant power. She grew up in a brown hegemony, and as a rich land owners daughter. She looks at Anglos as weak willed, lesser people to be used as labor but never respected. She doesn't even consider Africans human, little different from Apes. She is devoutly Catholic and Praises Jesus every day.

Then she is transported to the current Marvel Universe.

Now that is a story to tell.
>>
>>90362817

This comic would be just as terrible if you replaced all the "le diversity" bullshit with straight white characters.

It's just plain bad.
>>
>can go literally anywhere at anytime
>breaks up with her girlfriend because she gets cold feet about moving out to work in the same town she goes to school

?????
>>
File: 1488378024061.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
1488378024061.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
>>90362810
Call me crazy, /co/, but could there be some racial subtext in this page in one form or another? The subtle is too great and I can't put my finger on it.
>>
Just read it and it wasn't bad except for the whole punching Hitler bit.

You guys sure get triggered easily.
>>
>>90363024
>You guys sure get triggered easily.

I don't think you understand what that word means.
>>
>>90360082
>She's not very smart.
No she is just edgy.
I didnt research the writer, but i guess she is a 90`s kid that liked the early Bart Simpson and the Turtles crying "Cowabunga"
>>
>>90363024
Now that you mention it where did Hitler come from on the last page? He just abruptly manifested behind Captain America on the battle field.
>>
>>90362982
>pure white just means the absence of color
When you're talking about light that's black ya doof
>>
>>90362982
Well they get the color spectrum wrong as White is ALL color wavelengths. Also She's mostly PINK.
>>
>>90362817
>>90363024
I hope you people are fucking trolling. This writing is atrocious even if you take out the political soapboxing (which would be about 70% of the dialogue, but still).
>>
>>90362982
Yes, White being defeated by a brown fist appears two times in this comic

if it was a color joke it would be red of the gloves or just colot
>>
File: 1461630947616.jpg (39KB, 375x375px) Image search: [Google]
1461630947616.jpg
39KB, 375x375px
>>90362982
>pure white just means the absence of color
>>
>>90359366
>I was expecting America to say something about adding some red and blue with that white, but nope. brown fist
leddit had a good idea for once, impressive
>>
>>90363059
He apparently was just there, in the middle of the battlefield, doing nothing.

But if you didn't find it good, you are easily triggered.
>>
>>90363073
>>90363080
It's a metaphor for Aryans excluding People of Color
>>
>>90359011
It reads like satire.
I'm sure it's not, though.
>>
>>90359002
>>90359011
>>90359024
>>90359031
>>90359056

No one talking about how THICC she is
fucking faggots
>>
>>90363095
Even if that was the case, the metaphor is not correct; pure black is the absence of color, not white apprantly.
>>
File: dog butt.gif (263KB, 554x567px) Image search: [Google]
dog butt.gif
263KB, 554x567px
>>90363052
I understand it just fine.

>>90363075
It's not terrible, but it ain't great either. Certainly doesn't deserve all this attention and outrage.
>>
>>90363109
She always been slender, that was just shit art
>>
>>90359011
>I imagine theres something in this story that many people, especially those who rarely if ever see themselves in comics, have been aching for, and moreover that they deserve
where are the straight nonwhites what the fuck
>>90359056
>No longer is every superhero a white, cisgendered person in tight spandex.
now they can be gay brown people still suboodinate to mighty whitey
>>
>>90360130
Mockingbird and the power of tampons was the worst so far.

The rest is just really stupid, that one was offensively stupid.
>>
>>90362521
you always have to be open to hypotheticals no matter how unlikely they are of happening otherwise you'll look really silly if they do happen

>>90362694
given how much money & time they spent to pushing carol + how much they're spending trying to just stay in the top 100 + how much more time & money they'll have to spend to push chavez i don't think that they will get to plan C before disney decides to step in
>>
>>90363101
Its not. And this one book has completely changed my mind. About wanting to help promote issues of inclusiveness.

I want to inform and include. But the majority of people that latch onto this kinda material seek to use it as a bludgeon against those they disagree with.
>>
File: tick spoon.png (551KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
tick spoon.png
551KB, 500x500px
>>90360134
>"holy menstruation"
And what makes it more dumb is, that its an unpleasnt, tiring, sometimes inconvenient or messy body functions. That isnt the way of making it normal or praising some natural wiccan stuff. Its just a body function.
This is the equivalent to "holy sperm", "glorious fart" or "mighty mucus". This is like the Tick crying "spoon".
>>
File: 1465000260468.jpg (94KB, 600x581px) Image search: [Google]
1465000260468.jpg
94KB, 600x581px
>>90363145
>>
File: 1464459622303.jpg (512KB, 1808x796px) Image search: [Google]
1464459622303.jpg
512KB, 1808x796px
>>90363176
>>
>>90363172
Holy Shit
>>
File: 1465132980992.jpg (77KB, 580x835px) Image search: [Google]
1465132980992.jpg
77KB, 580x835px
>>90363176
>>90363188
The writer on Twitter. Where does Marvel find these people, feminist dance theory?
>>
>>90363132
>It's not terrible
Not sure if bait or extremely low standards.
>>
>>90363161
I'm on board with promoting issues of inclusiveness.

But I can't say I appreciate your choice of comics.
>>
File: neonomiconrape.jpg (101KB, 652x441px) Image search: [Google]
neonomiconrape.jpg
101KB, 652x441px
>>90363345
It's not. Alan fucking Moore has done worse.

If you take the target audience of this comic book into account, it's exactly what they will like. It's not for you, obviously, but that doesn't make it awful.
>>
>>90363176
>>90363188
I never understood the tampon thing. Granted I'm a man but...what is there to talk about? I already know that they exist and what function they serve...how am I supposed to have an entire dialogue about tampons? It seems like the writer thinks they haven't been mentioned in comics because they're stigmatized, but the truth is just that there isn't anything interesting to say about them.
>>
>>90362900
>shill
I have the feeling you dont know what that word stands for.

>>90362929
Its Ok for me, neither greater nor bad.

>>90363075
It seems more you look through your "anti-SJW" glasses.
Its not that bad. But its not as good as the reviewers write neither.
>>
Calmly and slow, the shills are coming.

> I-it wasn't good, but wasn't terrible.
> That part wasn't good, but the rest of the book was.
> It was pretty solid.

Tomorrow they will be praising this shit
>>
>>90363161
>>90363363
>help promote issues of inclusiveness.

I agree.

The lack of positive neo-nazi representation in comic books is a very serious issue that needs addressing.

Growing up as a young neo-nazi, I never had any positive neo-nazi heroes in comic books. Instead they would just stereotype my people like we're all some kind of jew-hating extremists.

What can we do to promote tolerance for underrepresented neo nazis such as myself?
>>
>>90363393
>"i-it's just not for you" meme
It's complete garbage from any standpoint.
Just admit that you're a tasteless idiot.
>>
File: itmakessenseincontext.png (236KB, 430x626px) Image search: [Google]
itmakessenseincontext.png
236KB, 430x626px
>>90363403
I don't really get it either. Nobody wants to talk about the bodily functions of any gender, they're fucking gross.
>>
>>90362922
That would be interesting. A little bit like this StarTrek mirror universe or Superman Redson
>>
>>90363393
>Alan fucking Moore has done worse.
/co/ has gone to shit.
>>
>>90363476
white will reboot when?
>>
>>90363451
>It seems more you look through your "anti-SJW" glasses.
I'm looking at it through "I read comics for entertainment, good characters and stories, not cringeworthy political commentary" glasses. A version with the opposite political beliefs wouldn't be any better. Hell, this is so unsubtle a version of this comic with the opposite political beliefs would be that Christ-chan comic from /pol/.
>>
>>90363491
B-but muh fishrape... ;_;
>>
>>90363473
I'm confused by who they think they're fooling. It's complete shit. Not even "just not my cup of tea" shit. Everything about it is objectively awful. If the next thread is composed entirely of 100 shill posts saying how great it is, I am not going to suddenly stop realizing that it is still, in fact, shit.

Do these people think they're clever, going "well if we post a bunch of positive reviews, everyone will magically go along with it"? Is this type of herd mentality what they believe everyone else subscribes to, or is it simply a result of their own herd mentality?
>>
>>90363514
Better than "Look, Hitler is standing in the middle of the battlefield for no reason at all".

Illiterate retard.
>>
>>90363476
>What can we do to promote tolerance for underrepresented neo nazis such as myself?
Make Steve Rogers a secret nazi sympathizer?
>>
File: dog87931091.jpg (5KB, 233x204px) Image search: [Google]
dog87931091.jpg
5KB, 233x204px
>>90363485
See, this is what i meant that it gets you people triggered, throwing ad hominems left and right and getting upset over nothing. It's not for you, it's obvious you'll think it's garbage. I can read it, not like it and objectively figure who will. Relax already.

>>90363491
Neonomicon is miles worse than this, from my perspective. I honestly can't figure out who would enjoy that book.
>>
>>90363476
all that butt-hurt in just one post
Let me guess, everybody who doesn't agree with you is from /pol/, right?
>>
>>90363555
Maybe you're too autistic to understand the mocking tone, but I'm on your side, faggot.
The post was mocking the other faggot who posted Neonomicon as if its existence makes America less shit.
>>
>>90362982
>/pol/ - PURE WHITE ENERGY
>>
>>90363576
The fact that people like shit doesn't make it any less shit.
>>
>>90363127
>>90363095
>>90362982
White and black are not a color, its a luminosity.
Black is when there is not much light and white if there is too much.
I wonder if the artist or the colorist had any color theory in their art class.
>>
>>90363599
Sorry anon, Poe's law.
>>
>>90363616
Ah, it's okay.
I see shills are starting their damage control.
>>
>>90363393
Who the fuck is "the target audience" supposed to be?

It certainly can't be Ultimates fans, because the only similarity there is the name.

It certainly can't be Hispanics, because from what I've been seeing, they find this randomly-inserted Spanglish as cringey as everyone else.

It certainly can't be "people who like comic books", because this comic book is complete shit in every way possible.
>>
>>90363191
lol
>>
>>90363611
>white and black are not colours
Wrong, white and black are not HUES. White and Black are values. Specifically black is a colour with no value, regardless of hue, and white is a colour with full value regardless of hue.
>>
>>90363576
>I honestly can't figure out who would enjoy that book.
And what kind of people enjoy Hitler standing in the middle of the battlefield for no fucking reason, beyond imbeciles like you?
>>
File: menswear-dog-costume.jpg (190KB, 1200x800px) Image search: [Google]
menswear-dog-costume.jpg
190KB, 1200x800px
>>90363609
It being "shit" depends on your own personal taste in the first place. I have a different opinion.
>>
>>90363546
The goal is usually to convince the ones that haven't read it yet to purchase, not change the minds of the ones that already did.
I don't quite get the point of shilling when there's a readily available storytime right there.
>>
>>90363611
They don't just care, all that comic is about promoting SJW agenda, fuck science and fuck facts
>>
File: dog fedora.jpg (260KB, 900x948px) Image search: [Google]
dog fedora.jpg
260KB, 900x948px
>>90363651
>>90363651
Listen, if you can't properly follow a string of comments and realize that was one of my only issues with the book, then please, abstain from the discussion.

>>90363636
>Who the fuck is "the target audience" supposed to be?
Girls. Girls that like comic books and instagram and hot topic and think they know everything there is to know about social causes. People like Max Landis too, I'm sure.
>>
>>90363579
No, I was making fun of their term "inclusiveness".

It's another meaningless buzzword, like "love trumps hate", "stronger together", "he will not divide us", "resist", and another meaningless dribble.

They all directly translate to "agree with the things I agree with or I hate you", but masking it under an incredibly thin layer of undeserved moral superiority.

If they were really about "inclusiveness", they would also be promoting neo nazis, Klansmen, etc... but they're really just promoting identically racist anti-white propaganda, and calling it "inclusive".
>>
>>90363393

I'm not jealous of your job as a marvel intern
>>
>>90363721
>Girls

I think it's more specifically girls who buy comics as fashion accessories rather than works of fiction. The Temeraire series might be a bunch of dragonxmale fanfics but they've got a decent plot and characters. Monstress has a really cool world and character designs. This is just trash.
>>
>>90363721
If you this is better than Moore, abstain from life.

Didn't you have a problem with she breaking up with her girlfriend because she doesn't want a distanced relantionship, when she can open portals for anywhere and distances are no problem at all? Is this part good?
>>
>>90363653
No it fucking doesn't. There are objective standards when it comes to quality of writing, characterisation, plot etc. Any critic worth anything (so no-one who has "professionally" reviewed this book) will tell you as much. And this comic fails them all. It reads like fanfiction written by a teenager with no grasp of nuance or how to even make a character likable without having other characters, on the very first fucking page, straight-up tell you how great they are.

Bad writing is bad writing regardless of whether it's popular or not. And this is fucking terrible writing. There are even good ways to get political points across and still write well, but this is just so on the nose it's virtually propaganda.

Also, there are rules about avatarfagging m8, so stop it.
>>
>>90363721
>Girls

This would be the perfect chance for all the girls lurking /co/ to leave the SU general, show up here, and tell this pathetic shill what do they think about this powerful brown queer latin& character and the amazing book the good people from Marvel have decided to bless us with
>>
>>90363733
>he will nut inside us
I'm still kekking at this
>>
>>90363721
You must have low opinion of girls.
>>
>>90363403
>>90363487
Problem is everyone is ashamed but its just a normal body function.
What writers or tumblerinas think its, because its an female-only thing to set them apart from men.
It comes from stigmate women being on period when they rage or such thing. But it went along the condom to being just normal but not mentioned every second.
But Tumblrinas are very backwards thinking its still a shameless act and so obsessed with it as a symbol for oppression that they try to flood it into media despite its gets at low poo-humor level.
>>
>>90363721
You know what else was a comic for girls?
W.I.T.C.H.
Guess what, it actually had competent writing and was written by a woman (this part is in case if you pull the "you just say it's good because it's written by a man" card)
>>
>>90363885
So the operative logic is that they think it's some kind of horrible taboo that they're fighting against, but in actuality nobody wants to drone on about tampons/periods because they're just kinda gross?

Dang.
>>
>>90360130
Fuck off, faggot. Our love is real is good.
>>
>>90363721

I don't know about women but spanish is my mother languange and I'm not white by /pol/ and /int/'s standards and besides the objective fact that this comic is a piece of shit and Marvel should consider stop printing comics for a while, it's sometimes borderline offensive too.

For instance, in spanish all nouns are gendered, giraffe is femenine and monkey is masculine. If you're going to shoehorn spanish in your fucking comic, don't use "latinx" to make it gender neutral, JUST WRITE IN FUCKING ENGLISH LIKE THE REST OF THE COMIC. I feel like it tries to pander to me like if I was a fucking retard, I swear to god if I read that "mi gente" I'm going to get pissed
>>
>>90363473
>still not know what a shill is
Nah, we just dont hate it that bad nor get caught by overhype.

>>90363546
>how great it is,
Not really we see it as it is. If that it a shill for you, you have indeed a low level anon.

>>90363673
you should read the post more carefull than. most of your shills are not really promoting to buy it.
>I'm not sure about your reading comprehension skills
>>
>>90363721

>Girls only like things that are retarded.

End yourself my man.
>>
>>90359011
>If were being real
>were

like it's some controversial political statement that's going to shock her contemporaries, jesus these fucking people
>>
>>90359056
>The Beat - Alexander Jones
In this cuck's defense, he gave the book 6/10
>>
>>90363647
Its not a color, than brightness is a color for you too?
>>90363679
They try too much making symbols and parables forgetting the plot or making it at least low believable.
Thats nearly the same level as Alien:Prometheus did.
>>
>>90359366
>But it's better than Champions."
kek
>>
>>90364063
>Alex Jones
brb water filters
>>
Politics really doesn't have anything to do with why this book is bad. There aren't any politics here beyond "brown lesbians exist." There isn't any propaganda or heavy political agenda on display here. It annoys be that "popular current issues" are now synonymous with politics. Granted the writer lays on the "brown girl power!" a little thick here and there, but there isn't really anything political about this comic other than the fact that its main character is a brown lesbian. I really wish people would get off that topic and stop acting like political soapboxing is the problem here.

This book is objectively bad. It has nothing to do with my not being in the target audience unless the target audience is people who enjoy bad writing. I can appreciate good craft regardless of the target audience, hence why I enjoy some children's movies and hate others. Just because its aimed at children, doesn't make it immune to adult criticism. Likewise, just because this book is aimed at...idk...progressive bloggers? Doesn't mean I can't criticize its objective failings. Mainly the tone, pacing, and dialogue are pretty bad in addition to a couple of really nonsensical plot contrivances. I have nothing against a lesbian latino superhero from the lesbian latino dimension (that's actually a pretty fun concept). The book is just poorly written. The art is decent, and this certainly isn't the worst thing I've ever read, but it definitely is not worthy of praise.
>>
>>90364009
>Referring to the group of shills as "we".
>>
File: adam-sandler-rob-schneider.jpg (170KB, 1000x1500px) Image search: [Google]
adam-sandler-rob-schneider.jpg
170KB, 1000x1500px
>>90363923
Overall yes.
Its like telling Adam Sandler or Rob Schneider that some of their movies are very low humor and have gross jokes in it and they smell oppression.
I think psychological they just hate babies or pregnancies and thus celebrate when they cant get pregnant.
>>
>>90359024
>lives up to the hype

But this shit came from nowhere?
>>
>>90362176
All three of those are all-ages titles. Moon Girl isn't terrible.
>>
>>90364205
Zero hype makes sense then. There were nothing to live up to.
>>
>>90364212
All-age wasn't supposed to mean "retarded".
>>
>>90359073
Bad. Far from the worst thing ever like these autists would have you believe, but clearly the work of someone who's not ready to have their own professional comic-writing gig.
>>
File: trump-modok-full-1-188534.jpg (464KB, 800x826px) Image search: [Google]
trump-modok-full-1-188534.jpg
464KB, 800x826px
>>90359790
Marvel has always been a very "politically centric" company all the way back to the first issue of Captain America where he was punching Hitler in the face

The difference between then and now is that they portrayed both sides of the party spectrum with some hint of reverence (i.e. nobody was wrong, nobody was right, it was more or less up to the reader's own personal interpretation), not so much anymore
>>
File: 1487851836442.jpg (108KB, 1280x1440px) Image search: [Google]
1487851836442.jpg
108KB, 1280x1440px
>>90361501
back back, backitty back I say back back backitty back a back back back.
>>
>>90364009
>(((we)))
Pretending like this comic is anything other than a complete disaster from start to finish is like calling 9/11 "a tiny accident".
>>
File: cowboy-dog-20913496.jpg (139KB, 1055x1300px) Image search: [Google]
cowboy-dog-20913496.jpg
139KB, 1055x1300px
>>90363784
It is better than Neonomicon, yes. How many times do i have to state this?

>>90363749
You should be.

>>90363770
Yeah sure, kind of what I meant by the "Hot Topic" remark.

>>90363785
You're clearly too upset to carry an objective conversation with. My "avatarfagging" upstest you? Do something about it then.

>>90363817
Yes, it would. We could use the input.

>>90363860
I have a low opinion on the type of girls i mentioned, yes. Not ALL girls.

>>90363904
Honestly I didn't read that so I wouldn't know.

>>90363991
I'm of mexican descent. It does not bother me any more than it did when I watched Breaking Bad and they said phrases in bad spanish. I didn't thought they were thinking less of us or "pandering to me like i was a retard" either.

>>90364017
Not what I said, nor meant.

Anyway, we're beating around the bush too much, like I said, i had my grievances about the book, but It's not as bad as some of you make it out to be either. I was just curious as to why it upsets some of you this much. I'll take my leave now.
>>
>>90363991
>it's sometimes borderline offensive too.
It was since ever. Its more of an american thing or trying to make a foreign heritage to sprinkle it into the character.
As a german the Nightcrawler lines always were cringy worthy after the 80`s.
>>
>>90364366
>It is better than Neonomicon, yes. How many times do i have to state this?

Until it becomes true, so three hundred gorillion times more at least
>>
>>90360018
>Then again, I would not be shocked if this is all a ploy to get her to bang Kate Bishop.
It is and you know it.
>>
>>90360130
Champions is worse because it sacrifices five potentially compelling characters at the altar of progressivism instead of just one.
>>
>>90361210
>There's gotta be a liberal comic that doesn't suck
Anything by Ewing
>>
>>90364604
Four.
Miles has no potential.
>>
>>90361345
No, but it's not liberal either, except for Ollie calling himself a liberal.
>>
Mockingbird all over again in 3...2...1...
>>
>>90364701
>tfw at first you were grateful Robbie wasn't in Champions but now he's getting cancelled
>>
>>90361559
>He's a true believer. One exception: Genny Tartoski's Luke Cage, which he blasts for being raacist.
What else does that book have that the praised ones don't? A white, male writer.
>>
>>90364681
USAvengers sucks ass. Not because it is "liberal" (?) or anything, but because it sucks ass.
>>
>>90361210
Hulk
>>
>>90364302
So, is new m.o.d.o.k gonna be the legit president? What is the context for this, even?
>>
So how the fuck did WHITE IS THE ABSENCE OF COLOR get through... anyone?
>>
>>90364250
No, but it means that the threshold for cancellation is lower.
>>
>>90364796
No one cares, anon.
>>
>>90363403
There was a big stink made in the last couple years about taxes being charged on feminine hygiene product, and that drove it more into the public discourse.
>>
>>90364796
Because editors are just a handfull of people and besides trying to twitter for advertisment they cant check every page.
>>
>>90364796

Because it was too much a good subtle political pun to ruin it with petty shitlord "science"
>>
>>90364893
Good to know, I look forward to speech bubbles saying "This is how we know that 2+2 equals... five!"

villain falls from the punch

"COMMON CORE, biatch."
>>
>>90364995
If the protagonist was a queer brown girl, this would be considered good and the critics would nearly cry of emotion.
>>
>>90364995
While common core is shit, that's not what it is really...
>>
>>90364995
Someone should just make "New Math Girl" who spouts science-related puns that don't make sense.
>>
File: Alan Moore.jpg (344KB, 500x768px) Image search: [Google]
Alan Moore.jpg
344KB, 500x768px
>>90363491
Neonomicon is shit. Being written by Moore doesn't automatically mean it's in the same league as any of his good works.
>>
>>90363555
Why is it worse? You're letting your personal views compromise your objectivity. It's blue shit and green shit. They're not the same, but they're both equally shit.
>>
>>90363605
Underrated
>>
>>90365161
It isn't worse than fucking "Holly Menstruation", imbecile.

One is a story that you don't like.

The other is a writer trying to complete the tumblr bingo in a single issue without any plot connecting one thing to another.
>>
>>90363991
I know like ten words of Spanish tops. Why is "mi gente" upsetting?
>>
>>90359073
Eh.
>>
>>90365440
It's just "my people" in Spanish, I guess original guy is just pissed they just threw that in to say "SEE? SHE SPEAKS SPANISH" and nothing else.
>>
>>90365161
You know that this comic is shit when the only two defenses people have are "ITS TECHNICALLY NOT THE WORST THING EVER WRITTEN", and going full postmodern "EVERYTHING IS SUBJECTIVE SO 'BAD' DOESNT EXIST!"

You also know it's shit by reading any given page from it.
>>
>>90364784
It was just a one-off gag.

>>90364752
In what way? Because you say so? That's not a legitimate criticism, anon.
>>
>>90365517
I thought she was supposed to be some kind of interdimensional lesbian hell spawn?

Who are "her people"?

Generic Hispanic people who are politically correct?
>>
File: 57166228.jpg (73KB, 500x335px) Image search: [Google]
57166228.jpg
73KB, 500x335px
If she was just brown and gay and didn't call attention to the fact she's brown and gay every fucking page it would be much more palatable.
>>
>>90365440

Because it sounds a little bit like "HOW DO YOU DO MY FELLOW SPANISH SPEAKERS?". Do you see normal people talking like that? Saying "my people" at the end of every sentence? No one talks like that. That's not even slang as far as I know, it's just Poochie-ing her way into spanish.

Fuck she even has access to a time machine now that I think about it
>>
>>90365613
Context would just have it translated to "everyone", really ("PLEASE BUY MY TRADE PAPERBACK AFTER THE TWITTER SHITSTORM, MI GENTE = EVERYONE")
>>
>>90365522
I agree that America is trash not fit for wiping my hairy brown asshole with. I am not defending it in any way.

>>90365275
It's just as bad, for different reasons. We agree that it was competently written rather than the obvious work of an amateur. I am saying that this in no way redeems any of its other flaws. Garbage is garbage, period. Coming in a nicer package doesn't change that it's a waste of material that should be discarded. A 3/10 and a 0/10 earn the same grade of F.

If you disagree, that's fine.
>>
>>90365669
What would an appropriate thing to say that conveys the same sort of impression be? Or is there just not one because it's void as a statement? Like translated literally it doesn't work because "fear not" is way too formal for her, but like it sort of kind of maybe works as "I gotchu homes."
>>
>>90364752
USAvengers is not his best work, but it is a pretty fun read. It's over the top and entertaining in a way that no current Marvel book is now.
>>
>>90364784
That's from Spider-Gwen's universe so it doesn't really affect anything in the main universe.
>>
>>90365440
It's so off. Like something you would hear from a populist dictator or a cumbia singer. If it was "gente" it would be barely more tolerable. But he's from a dimension outside space and time, they're not her people.
>>
>>90359073
other than thick brown waifu, it was painful to read and I gave up in the first few pages and just looked at America's thighs.
>>
>>90366252
good taste anon
what thiccest part of her did you pay the most attention?
nose for me, it's like a sun cleavage in how it keeps sticking out.
>>
>>90366252
>>90366367
>THIIIICCCCCC
>humfhumfhumf
>THICCCC
>fapfapfap
>jumpy
>THICCCCCCC

Of course this type of shit would resonate with third world chubby chasers.
>>
>>90361210
most things European and Latin American
>>
^ No (You) for (You)!
>>
>>90361501
Es una mierda. Incluso llega a ser ofensiva. Solo un Chicano con muy mal gusto lo podria considerar bueno.
>>
>>90359073
Embarrassing. There was some set up there but it was knee deep in stupid. It falls into the new trend of minority characters' books being too steeped in their minority status. She gets praised by all minority/female characters. Goes out on women only teams. Ends up going to a college named after a hispanic women (they make sure you know that) where the only known male character is black and retconned bi.

It makes it feel unnatural and very obvious they're trying to make a point rather than tell a good story.

What is it lately with female led books and having women only adventures and gay sidekicks? It's so prevalent it seems like a red flag.

Also colors are extremely lazy. Color holds making it look like she lacks body parts in some places. The artist's style doesn't led to flat colors but they did it anyway.
>>
>>90366583
I encourage you to read the spoilered part of the post :^)
>>
>>90359937

The funny thing is that identity politics costs nothing. Identity politics is the new "opium of the masses". This has nothing to do with the old leftism. It's almost as if capitalists designed it as a distraction.
>>
>>90365669
It's a Wayback Machine. get it. Get it. Like the internet? Get it?
>>
>>90366666
>>
>>90366072

To convey what? I don't understand what is she trying to say. If she's trying to address casually to the people she's talking to, it would be more natural to say "amigos" (friends) or "hermanos" (brothers, kind of like "bro" but more friendly)

If she's trying to prove she speaks spanish and she's a revolutionary leader or some shit, then "camaradas" or "hermanos" again. "Mi gente" is something not even politicians say anymore, it sounds like some Che Guevara shit, but not even actual communists nowadays. It's the least of this issue's problems anyways, but still
>>
>>90366926
Don't you see why she's not saying amigos or hermanos, anon?

IT HAS TO BE NON GENDERED.
>>
File: 1482323974428.jpg (20KB, 399x489px) Image search: [Google]
1482323974428.jpg
20KB, 399x489px
>>90366956
>mfw you're right
>>
>>90359073

Bizarre. The second time I read it, it's less about America herself, but the author's baffling reality where Western Culture was created by non-whites. And of course we need to plop our rmain character in a school setting because High School/College because, like jocks, all hipsters best years are in school where they're surrounded by people that think like them.
>>
File: Just Let It Take Me Man.jpg (205KB, 776x1054px) Image search: [Google]
Just Let It Take Me Man.jpg
205KB, 776x1054px
>>90366956
Y u gonna tell me dis man
>>
>>90367065
The college is one of the strangest things I've seen outside of a Grant Morrison comic. It's apparently for powered people and has Star Trek level technology with holodecks and beaming (and having the safety protocols disabled is a feature, not a bug!). This campus somehow exists in the regular Marvel universe rather than some alternate gaytopia.
>>
>>90360130
>If I gave a fuck about reviews, I could calibrate which reviewers I would never need to look at again by seeing which ones popped for this, and slammed Flintstones.

I think there was only one person that praised America #1 and slammed Flintstones #1.
>>
People shit on the 90s but I'd rather have those story types back instead of this.
>>
>>90359056
>you will never be one of this retards
feels good man
>>
>>90366956
Creo que realmente odio este libro.
>>
>>90366636
damn i think this hits what was wrong with it.

The best comparison I would say is like Ms Marvel; that book started with Kamala and it didn't go out of its way to force that she was "different". She obviously is, but it follows a natural path: she's different but gets invited to a popular party where she's accidentally given powers.

America isn't like that at all. It goes out of its way to force the minority status onto you without letting her speak for herself.
>>
Those abs tho...
>>
>>90361990
>She can literally teleport but her and her girlfriend break up because GF doesn't want to move to where the university is

I hadn't even considered that, but that scene is terrible. I keep seeing reviews refer to it as powerful and realistic, but really it just makes America look like a cunt. So her girlfriend doesn't want to uproot her life, and be the one who works just to keep America happy. So rather than have a touching scene where two people at least try to resolve their differences, America goes into full down meltdown mode. She insults, belittles, and cuts off her girlfriend whom frankly holds more sympathy in the scene than the character they want us to like. Especially given the whole pretense here is that America is a free spirit who can't be tied down, so she can treat others poorly because they didn't do what she wanted them too. You know big hearts and empathy totally reconcile with being a total cunt to someone who just wanted to tell you she loved you, but couldn't make that jump with you.
Three pages have this many problems.
>>
>>90363403
It's because women are mad at their periods so they assume men are too. 90% of feminism is projection.
>body positivity
Oh yeah....because women aren't the superficial ones
>slut shaming
mmhmmm
>dread their periods and have a repressed attitude towards filth and decay
There's a reason men are better comedians.
>>
Even The Mary Sue is calling out the shitty dialogue:

http://www.themarysue.com/review-america-1-marvel/
>>
>>90359002
do people actually listen to comic reviewers?
>>
>>90367484
That's no wonder, they're the best representation of the "YOU WILL NEVER DO ENOUGH" crowd the world could ask for
>>
>>90360130
Champions

It had potential
>>
File: 1488377646055.jpg (79KB, 679x827px) Image search: [Google]
1488377646055.jpg
79KB, 679x827px
>>90363636
> they find this randomly-inserted Spanglish as cringey as everyone else.

While I agree, this issue happens with a lot of characters everytime a writer is too bored to make the effort of translating sentences correctly.

Imagine what a Russian must feel when Colossus randomly yells stuff about Lenin, or a French speaking dude reading Gambit's lines, mon ami, oui? Diablo always cracked me up for this reason.

I don't think I like anything in it so far. Especially the coloring with some parts randomly colored and other inked in black. Then the feeling that I'm reading a serious/unfunny Nextwave and finally how forced it feels by moment, some pages could as well be photoshoped parody from /pol/.

>>90359056
> No longer is every superhero a white, cisgendered person in tight spandex
> Movies are another situation

Who's Blade and didn't he have a very successful movie before any ciswhite in tight spandex?
>>
>>90366583
>chubby chasers.
America is real THICC, tho'
Not that inflation bullshit.
>>
>>90362817
Gillen's Young Avengers sucked ass
>>
File: 1471330956687.jpg (36KB, 346x406px) Image search: [Google]
1471330956687.jpg
36KB, 346x406px
>Taste my brown fist
I'm pretty sure I saw this in a german porno once
>>
File: 1440383269038.jpg (124KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
1440383269038.jpg
124KB, 600x600px
GUYS
I DON'T CARE ABOUT THE POLITICS
I DON'T CARE ABOUT HOW BADLY WRITTEN THIS IS
I DON'T CARE ABOUT THOSE DUMB LIBERALS

ALL I CARE FOR IS SOMEONE DRAWING AMERICA SCISSORING WITH HER GF AND LICKING EACH OTHER WET PUSSIES

DO SOME FUCKING FANART NOW. A FAN COMIC EVEN. SEND IT TO THE AUTHOR, I DON'T GIVE A SHIT, I JUST WANT MY LESBIAN PORN WITH THAT SUPER HOT THICC LATINA SO I CAN SHOOT MY GOO WHILE TWISTING MY FACE INTO THE MOST OVER THE TOP AHEGAO I'VE DONE IN MY LIFE

I'M SHOUTING BECAUSE MY DICK IS DIAMONDS AND I NEED RELEASE NOW!!
>>
>>90362982
even more awfull than spencer BRAVO
>>
>>90362982
Didn't America used to wear just hotpants?
>>
>>90367616
Hahahaha
>>
>>90367643
http://rule34.paheal.net/post/list/america_chavez/1

Enjoy yourself
>>
>>90362982
>Well, pure white just means absence of color
>... So let me give her a little of this brown fist
I bet she tells that to her girlfriend everynight.
>>
File: 1375597517111.gif (228KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
1375597517111.gif
228KB, 480x270px
>>90367684
Do you think this is good enough?
No thickness, no good art, she isn't scissoring anyone. She isn't licking anyone's pussy. One of them even has a dick. These are shit, anon. Why do you give me shit? Have I offend you? Have I called your mother a whore? I haven't. And yet you offer me this. I am nothing but dissapointed at you.
>>
>>90367750
Fine, get bluballed. Loser.
>>
>>90367750
> One of them even has a dick
>/u/ is that way
>>
thought that was stavonnie
>>
I do think it's interesting that the issue starts with the entire story going out of its way to talk about how great America is but the rest of the story shows her as obnoxious, stubborn, unwilling to work for anything, and perfectly okay with fucking over history if it suits her whims. I don't know if that's by design or if the creators think she's legit flawless and everything she does is actually justified. But a semi-decent course-correct could be about America learning to humble. Or at least it'll be better than "Nothing she can ever do will be wrong" if that's what they're actually aiming for.
>>
>>90367781
>/u/ is that way
Actually that's a great idea. I might ask them.
>>
>>90359002
I'm 100% convinced that you could smear shit on a page, call it a strong person of color and the comic book sites would call it a powerful and welcome statement that is long needed while giving it 10/10s. The book is, by ever objective measure, complete garbage and if it was about anyone that didn't check off so many diversity boxes it would've been reviewed appropriately.

What have been the reviews for stuff that's actually good look Foolkiller or Mosaic? Probably nowhere near as good.
>>
>Marvel made a book about DOJYAAAN~~ boring
>>
>>90367936
That's not what the current reviewing "zeitgeist" is all about. The "big name" reviewers for Force Awakens could only gush out how Rey (Ho Let's Go) was strong / independent / needed no man and how Jar Jar Abe dodged the mother of all bullets by having her not interested in romance at all.

Somehow, in their heads, that makes for a compelling character.
>>
Isn't it racist to praise something just because it has a person of color in it? Surely people of color want characters and stories starring people of color to be well written and engaging, instead of just "lol I'm awesome here's some spanglish and me punching a literal nazi".

Like New Superman has been great but nobody is praising it for having a Chinese MC. Hell Green Lanterns is some of the best GL stories in years and it stars both a Muslim and Hispanic.
>>
It was a generally mediocre comic, not outrage worthy. Sadly, /co/ can't stand seeing black lesbians so they exaggerate how bad it was.
>>
>>90360128
Ugh no woman says this, it's as bad as having a male character say "holy ejaculation".
>>
>>90367980
Honestly I'm dissapointed in the lgbt community (or at least the people who support them and write these reviews) because they have such low standards in storytelling quality. It's infantilizing. It's insulting. Looking for flattering portraits even when the story structure is all shit and the characters are bad.
Can't speak for the lgbt but as a spic, I fucking hate this portrayal of America, as well as her use of spanish. It's just awful. A hot thicc latina hero comicbook sounded so good, but we got this. I might have to wait for that Image comic
>>
>>90367286
Exactly. Kamala is Muslim. Her world is diverse and she reacts like someone her age. It's a little silly and thematic in places but it fits the tone as a book for younger readers.

With America, the whole BOOK is gay, brown and Spanish. It permeates everything.
>>
>>90368082
>It was a generally mediocre comic, not outrage worthy. Sadly, /co/ can't stand seeing black lesbians so they exaggerate how bad it was.

Shut the fuck up.

We all know this is the exact defense the author was going for, to cover up her complete inability to write characters, or a decent plotline

>You don't like it? It's because you hate minorities and/or lesbians!

No, we hate it because it's fucking terrible. Replace all the characters with straight white men, and it's still fucking terrible.
>>
>>90366926
That answers my question. Thank you.
>>
>>90368057
Jeez. Finn was so much more compelling than her. That way he uselessly tried to fight Kylo while having no idea what to do with the lightsaber was so exciting.
>>
>>90368099
Holy boner, bro! That's sementastic! Can't believe how much you testicled that one! Joe didn't have a prostate of a chance.
>>
File: 1257081560379.gif (19KB, 781x506px) Image search: [Google]
1257081560379.gif
19KB, 781x506px
>>90368144
You're tipping your hand a little too hard there, hotshot.
>>
>>90367484
>The Mary Sue
Is their mascot supposed to be a thicc Rei Ayanami?
>>
>>90359011
>>90359024
>>90359031
>>90359056
every single one of them sound like forced hype
>>
>>90368229
If anyone gave an honest review they'd risk losing their jobs because tumblr would go on a wild witchhunt.
>>
>>90368059
No, because racism = power + privilege, which means only whites can be racist, because only white people are in positions of power, because minorities don't have jobs.

That would sound incredibly racist against minorities never working, but only white people can be racist, because racism = power + privilege.

:^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^) :^)
>>
>>90365669
What is the difference between that and this?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=CzgWFTmyFes

I'm learning Spanish BTW.
>>
>>90367551
Gambit didn't actually know French, does he? Just the few words because he wants to impress the ladies.
>>
>>90368269
But all the reviewers have the power to rate things, and they all have white privilege. Them praising America #1 is not only racist but it's also cultural appropriation because they, as white priliveged reviewers, are trying to relate to an independent queer persxn of cxlxr.
>>
>>90359366
>This is what happens when you dig up a writer who's only previous work is self-published erotica. But it's better than Champions.
Soplado fuera de la mierda
>>
>>90368128
Replace all the characters with white males and it would be labeled as nazi propaganda

>The monster is made of pure black energy!
>Taste my white fist!
>Our dear leader
>Holy ejaculation
>What does a white straight male do when he's not saving the world?
>Dumps his black girlfriend
>The Multiversal academy is solely composed of white people
>The issue ends with him traveling to Africa and meeting the Black Panther before knocking out Man-Ape and becoming a white savior
>>
>>90367673
Yes. Short shorts and a bandeau.
>>
>>90368350
I'd read it tbqh, just because it sounds like a self-aware parody of nu-Marvel bullshit.
>>
>>90367209
this x1000
>>
Remember that these same people glowing about this book were probably the ones who were bitching about Flintstones and not understanding very obvious dark humor.
>>
>>90368312

Real french? No. Cajun, yes.
>>
File: 1330885970345.jpg (39KB, 323x297px) Image search: [Google]
1330885970345.jpg
39KB, 323x297px
>>90368350
Are you retarded or something. The point of characters that establish their race when they are not white is because the race is usually used to discrminate them in modern america. By boosting about their race in a positive way, in an empowering way, these people are fighting against that discrimination.
White people don't have those kinds of problems. They're not discriminated by anyone but crazy regressive liberals. White people won't have to worry about not having a job because of their skin color, and being explicitly proud of whiteness has connotations of racial genocide thanks to Hitler. Blame the germans for that, asshole. But don't come here to use false equivalence and call it a day.
And no, I am not discriminating white people by telling you this, which anyone midly educated should know.
>>
>>90368488

You're right, that's precisely the reason why it would be labeled as nazi propaganda. I'm not even sure what point you're trying to prove or refute.
>>
>>90368588
problaby that by definition the autor of this shity book is a fuking racist
>>
>>90368229
If you replace America with Ghostbusters and Marvel with Sony then you'll get the same reviews for last years movie.
>>
>>90368661
That's the exact opposite you retard
She is fucking dumb though. What a terrible author. I can't shake from my head the lines "you're a bruja, a feminist and a brown babe".
>>
>>90368350
>Our dear leader
That line would be better if they were Asian, after all isn't that what NK call Kim Jong Un?
>>
>>90359073
Boring, mostly.
>>
>>90368350
>>The issue ends with him traveling to Africa and meeting the Black Panther before knocking out Man-Ape and becoming a white savior

Morlun confirmed for white savior
>>
>>90368783
>pure white ligth
>brown fist
yea ok budy
>>
>>90368712
Nah. Even the GB reviews mostly admitted the movie was just okay. And the glowing reviews go on to say they never really liked the original film to begin with. There was never any real love for GB simply people glad it existed so they could feel validated in their neverending quest for female-driven genre movies or their distaste for the original. Notice how even the so-called fans of that movie don't even bother fucking mentioning it now.

This is worse. Multiple reviewers acting like this is a watershed moment for cape comics when it's just business as usual. And I bet the whole lot of them have read and even reviewed series that actually were momentous which makes it all that much worse. They're watering down the discourse.

And this is coming from someone who doesn't even think the comic was that bad. I'm just sick of mediocrity being put on a pedestal because it checks the right boxes.
>>
>>90368488
>thanks to hitler

Except that's wrong since Hitler was a German supremacist you fucking retard

>all this esl

Your country is going to be wiped off the map this century
>>
File: 080314_Ledger_Joker.jpg (32KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
080314_Ledger_Joker.jpg
32KB, 320x240px
>>90359073

Surprisingly racist which is hilarious. When you go so PC you wind up on the other side. The comic is so obsessed with race and lgbt stuff that it didn't bother to be a competently written comic.

The greatest sin is the potential. America has a chance to not be an annoying marysue and attends a college for supers and juggles her lesbian romances but it's all handled horribly.
>>
>>90368059
Marvel obnoxiously flaunts the blackness or womanness of their characters in your face and often makes a point to single out a male character for being le evil misogynist villain or a white character being white.

DC does not do this, DC either doesn't mention that a minority lead is a minority except in specific relevant circumstances like a character going to Friday Muslim prayer or they do remind you that a character is a non-Westerner but use it to build the setting as in New Superman.
>>
>>90362394

Wasp still takes it. You can't beat that first page of the first issue.

Mockingbird had two good issues before going full retard. Hellcat was pretty bad but not to this degree. Squirrel Girl was undiluted disappoint.
>>
>>90368965
>the other side

That's where you're wrong.
>>
>>90363176

Friendly reminder that she killed men and none of their deaths really meant anything in the comic and the issue just ended.
>>
>>90359073
As subtle as throwing a burning flare into a fireworks factory
>>
File: 1478576506193.jpg (380KB, 1024x1244px) Image search: [Google]
1478576506193.jpg
380KB, 1024x1244px
>>90361210
>There's gotta be a liberal comic that doesn't suck.
Judge Dredd
>>
>holy menstruation!

No way Ike is not playing 9834D chess with us and pulling this shit to alienate the youth from the political left

Nice play Ike, we're onto you
>>
>>90361960
>>Transmetropolitan
>Also great, specifically because it's -not- pushing a political message.
goddamn dude, you got a shitty brain
>>
File: we are cum.png (443KB, 1143x330px) Image search: [Google]
we are cum.png
443KB, 1143x330px
>>90359011
>>90359031
>>90359056
>>90359031

I was able to figure out why this type of representation bothers me so much. It feels like the latino version of blacksplotation but without the campiness that makes it fun, instead it's filled with preachy bullshit that given the way it's presented it feels EXTREMELY hypocritical and devoid of self-awareness.
>>
>>90368991
Exactly, DC treats minority characters like people. Unlike Marvel who uses them for PR and self-fellating
>>
>>90369025

The first page of this first issue is a bunch of marvel people AND the author talking cringely about how great the MC is.

I mean it's a serious contender
>>
>>90369363
Blacksploitation also had the sheer single fact of being hardboiled as fuck. One of the earliest examples of the genre saw the director and main actor (a black man himself, naturally) perform actual sex with some hookers as part of the film.

He contracted an STD.

So he claimed he fell ill during work and won the case, and used the money to BUY MORE FILM.

Preachy minority would-be auters had someone be mean to them at a McD's once because they didn't use their preferred pronouns. TIME FOR PLIGHT.
>>
>>90362817
Stuart Immonen is not a writer
>>
>>90359056
>>The change is here. It’s right now. It’s going to wreck everything. And comic books will be so much better for it.

We are entering the "shitty storylines that go anywhere and just happen and characters that we are told that are awesome while they don't really do anything" era of comics or how I like to call it: Radioactive Age.

Because this shit will give you cancer.
>>
>>90359056
>No longer is every superhero a white, cisgendered person in tight spandex.
Could it be any more obvious this person has never read a comic book from before 2010?
>>
>>90359819
Why don't we skip the "comicgate" part and just support and read non-political or anti-SJW comic review sites?

Places like NicheGamer and TechRaptor were and are the answer to the politically motivated cronyism GamerGate revealed. Is there a comics equivalent of those sites?

>>90366651
There's a reason SJWs focus on racism and sexism and absolutely refuse to talk about classism.
>>
>>90368144
>That way he uselessly tried to fight Kylo while having no idea what to do with the lightsaber was so exciting.
I know you're being sarcastic, but you're right. Finn being in over his head made it more exciting. He was just some dude facing the big bad wizard. He was the underdog, and I rooted for him. As opposed to Rey, who just sort of was always able to deal with any problems by herself.
>>
>>90369622
>Why don't we skip the "comicgate" part and just support and read non-political or anti-SJW comic review sites?

I think most of us already do that. At least I don't go to the sites that get mocked around here.
>>
>>90369622
>Can't we skip it?
As someone who saw the mess unwind firsthand:

no.

People just want to tear shit down (I'm not saying they don't have a point) and demand retribution if GG is any notice. I saw very early on that they were never going to do a mea culpa or anything and always said they needed to support other sites, and most importantly, creators that didn't kept toeing the line.

All the time it was just "fuck off shill" because apparently wanting to see a difference being enacted sooner than later is shilling. Next thing we know after all the sites told them to fuck off because they were keeping their clique, suddenly "you know, we should support alternatives instead of hoping these assholes listen to us" finally sank in.

It took just about 12 months.

That's in the case that sort of movement even happens anyway. I would think it won't.
>>
>>90359067
I would rather books not be cancelled as long as someone is enjoying them.

But trust me, if trade sales aren't up to par, Marvel WILL cancel it. Perlmutter looks at the final sales numbers and has final say on what gets cancelled.

However if TPB vol. 1 sells well enough, the subsequent volumes will have to sell like absolute garbage for them to cancel it.
>>
>>90359011

"If were being real"
is that proper grammar?
I am not a native English speaker. I am wondering if it means "if we are being real", or if it is some weird form of subjunctive.
>>
>>90359011
>>90359024
>>90359031
>>90359056

does /co/ agree on comic book critics being much worse than even videogame critics?
>>
>>90369790
Yes, it's "we're", writer can't bother to write "there's" either instead of "theres".

Shines an interesting light on the matter: of course they're head over heels for this, they can't even type to begin with.
>>
>>90359011
How can you say so many words while also saying barely anything? There isn't anything here aside from "She is gay, and that feels real to me, and I like this and think other people will like this."
>>
>>90359257
To be fair that's mostly buttmad /pol/ and GG-tier autists that always fly into an uproad over this shit and spam bad reviews.

As usual, both types take the bait completely and their shitty war gives free publicity to the book, while neither side actually even reads it.
>>
>>90369718
I fucking detest people who spout rhetoric about how all these kids were obviously brainwashed directly from the Frankfurt school BUT I also have zero problem calling out overfed liberal arts majors who believe their job is to advocate for a better world instead of telling me if I'm wasting my money on a product or not.

Too many of these reviewers have no understanding of good versus bad writing and more importantly wouldn't care if they did, because they think their job is signalboosting things they personally agree with and vilifying things they don't.

And those people only learned the hard way last time, it won't be much different now, even if they get their own Very Special Episode of BBT about misogyny in comics.
>>
Comic book reviews tend to be bad because nobody reviews the craft. And not just with this book, but in general.

Pacing, tone, composition, conflict, setting, character introduction or interaction or development, dialogue, nobody actually pulls this stuff apart. They talk vaguely about the narrative and tell you that they think vague aspects like the "Writing" or "Art" is good or bad.
>>
>>90369953
In many regards this is a lot more ripe for being infested with shitheads than videogame reviews were, largely because the standard's even lower.
>>
Where the fuck were these people when this character first showed up?
>>
>>90361501
es basura portorriqueña

empieza con America Chavez derrotanto a un monstruo de luz blanca con su "puño marrón", después se pelea con su novia lesbiana, y abre un portal interdimensional y se va al mundo de las lesbianas portorriqueñas, no recuerdo qué mierda pasa, pero de la universidad Sotomayor (como la jueza de la corte suprema yankee) abre otro portal y llega la segunda guerra mundial, donde le pega un golpe a Hitler en un campo de batalla (como si Hitler fuera un soldado)
es todo estúpido y cringy, con spanglish abundante. es un comic de Marvel tan malo como Sonichu.
es uno de los peores comics q lei en mi vida afuera de deviantarts.
>>
>>90369953
i dont think theres a critic who analice something beyond "i like it"
>>
>>90370027
>analice
Have those looked at
>>
>>90359819
Jesus christ no.

This isn't some EPIC CONSPIRACY. Bloggers are mostly liberal and like works that parrot their ideals, in the exact same way /pol/ is conservative/libertarian and likes works that parrot their ideals.

They're allowed to have their opinions no matter how retarded they are. Get over it you unbelievable faggot.
>>
>>90370090
>analize
sorry anon-san
>>
>>90370100

Google it.

Its not just "one specific site" pushing this shit.

Its literally all of them.

And every single one is praising it for "YASS DIVERSITY LGBT SLAYYY", and if they give it anything less than 11/10, it's some shit about art.

I'm not even exaggerating. Google the reviews yourself right now.
>>
Making her lesbian is pretty retarded, catholics hate homos. Targeting the tmblr/lgbt folks won't do this series any good in the long run, they only pick up the first issues out of curiosity but then drop it like they do with all comics.
>>
>>90370011
>y abre un portal interdimensional y se va al mundo de las lesbianas portorriqueñas

Eso fue tan jodidamente raro. Osea estoy dispuesto a aceptar que el universo perfecto de Miss America está poblado solamente por mujeres de diversas etnicidades, pero que los bordes del multiverso y la universidad interdimensional esten poblados casi exclusivamente por mujeres negras/latinas se siente tan poco natural.

>>90359819
That would backfire horribly and would simply tarnish the reputation of comic book readers. You can just, you know, not buy it. And read it on /co/ for the next storytime of pain.
>>
>>90359819
>The comic "reviewer" industry needs it's own gamergate.

Yeah so they can chalk all criticism to lonely nerds and cash out pity points. Can't wait to see themarysue reviewers speaking at the UN about the dangers of mysoginerds not liking YAS QUEEN™ Danvers
>>
>>90370230
>catholics hate homos
And to further this point, most hispanics are catholic as fuck.
>>
>>90370230
She's from an alternate dimension where literally everyone is a lesbian. Created by an alternate version of the most flaming faggot in the world.

You don't think about what "real world" Catholics would think. She's very much a product of how fucking silly and retarded comics are.
>>
>>90359002
yeah, they are about as ridiculous as /co/'s overreaction
>>
>>90370230
>making
She always a lesbian.

The issue as usual is that now this takes front and center and what character she actually is takes a backseat to identity politics.
>>
>>90370251
well anon im an hombre living in mexico and i can tell you first hand nobody give a shit about fags
>>
ITT: Brujas
>>
Any actual negative reviews?
>8.9 Critic Rating
>4.4 User Rating
Damn
>>
>>90370243
>tarnish the reputation of comic book readers
Nobody gives a shit about that at all though.

The slim grain of "legitimacy" capes have been given so far is only because Big Two movies tend to print money.
>>
>>90370100
Hmm yes people should have opinions, but the problem is the vast separation. People who disagree with the way Marvel has been going are left to shitholes like 4chan where the blind praise is upfront on "news" sites.

That's the exact reason why we're so segregated and echo chamber-y.

I'm not saying hire the deepest most offensive /pol/ type but showcase someone that finds how this book, and similar books, is crafted less than stellar. It can only help your reader base if there's more voices for people to choose from.
>>
>>90370251

they dont
latin americans dont "respect" homosexuals like in the USA, but they dont hate them, for them gays are the funny stereotype of the effeminate male nurse-hairdresser-male flight attendant, and therefore completely non threatening for macho straight men, a non issue.
Nobody wants a gay son but nobody hates them.
Many countries have gay marriage while abortion is still forbidden. Gays are less of an issue than abortion.
>>
>>90370302
I wish I were a witch.
>>
>>90362211
like 2 times already
>>
>>90370347
>We don't hate fags! We just make fun of them and don't treat them as people!
Ann, pls. That's, like, the definition of homophobia in the US.
>>
>>90370457
>"don't treat them as people"
Your prerogative
>>
>>90370457
>cant thake the bantz
>>
>>90369840
No they are both equally shit.

None of them can be trusted.
>>
>>90370268
She actually wasn't. Lesbian from a lesbian universe was all Gillen's doing. You know the same guy who also made Prodigy bi in a book that already had 2 gays.
>>
>>90364302
>The difference between then and now is that they portrayed both sides of the party spectrum with some hint of reverence (i.e. nobody was wrong, nobody was right, it was more or less up to the reader's own personal interpretation), not so much anymore
Now that's bullshit, Marvel's always been blunt as a goddamn hammer with its politics.
>>
>>90370744
Well, okay, now I see why people constantly say "Gillen understood this generation better than anyone else!"

It's the "it's not who am I, it's who I like to fuck that defines me" crowd
>>
>>90369840
No, GGers were morons but they at least fought an 'enemy' with the slightest amount of influence. Comic book criticism is literally nothing.
>>
>>90361960
>The Flintstones had an arc with a stand-in for gay marriage, without weighing in on whether it was good or bad
Fred had a monologue explicitly supporting it.
>>
File: Scotsman_2.png (221KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
Scotsman_2.png
221KB, 720x540px
YE HOLY MENSTRATIN'
>>
>>90371214
SHIT STORYTELLIN'
>>
>>90359011
>>90359024
>>90359031
>>90359056

Build The Wall!!!
>>
>>90370980
No, he did not. He had a monologue questioning whether marriage was due to love, or fear of dying alone, ending with him merely stating it wasn't for him. Reread it, you dumbass.
>>
>>90368144
It was though. Finn was struggling with everything he had against Kylo, knowing he was fucking dead. The fight itself was just better, felt more desperate and real, Kylo skewering him with the side vent was great. Then Mary Sue girl jumps up and trashes someone with much more training and experience than her because...she closes her eyes for a few seconds? Muh force I guess? None of this matters because the movie was trash, but Finn was 100% more compelling than Rey, at least he had an arc and some character, as weak as they were.
>>
>>90370207
>>90370100
The fucking weird part is the really repeated tone of every review. All talking about how America's a tough girl but "vulnerable" and "troubled" when about maybe four panels out of the entire issue vaguely show something said, and of those three of them are just "MUH MOMS."

I don't believe it's a conspiracy, but I fucking bet you they were given a template to follow.
>>
>>90371445
Other monologue, read the whole issue.
>>
>>90369852
It's like you've never read a Bendis comic before.
>>
>>90363721
>Girls. Girls that like comic books and instagram and hot topic and think they know everything there is to know about social causes.
Find me one girl in real life that isn't the writer of this schlock who uses "Holy menstruation!" unironically. Or is in a sorority that references Fifth Element of all fucking things.
>>
File: 1487192683893.png (686KB, 427x634px) Image search: [Google]
1487192683893.png
686KB, 427x634px
>>90367750
>>
>>90367750
Are you the guy on /tg/ who promised to suck a girl's dick so hard she'd grow one?

You write just like him.
>>
>>90368350
I'd read the shit out of this for laughs. It reminds me of Uber.
>>
>>90359011
Beware, bigot! Stay in line , white straight male! America is coming for you!
>>
File: moral-imperative.jpg (617KB, 782x764px) Image search: [Google]
moral-imperative.jpg
617KB, 782x764px
>>90368350
>>90368424
>>90371848

Hell, we already have an Anti-America Chavez. Rodstvow solo when?
>>
>>90359073
I would describe myself as socially liberal. Like, bleeding heart, Nixon worst nightmare, hug the terrorists to death liberal and I thought it was hot garbage. It's all the subtlety of being hit by a sledgehammer without the sweet release of death.
>>
>>90359681
Speaking of, why is Champions so bad while Archie is so good, keeping in mind that they're both written by Waid?
>>
>>90359002
Shit like this makes me glad I gave up on Marvel years ago.
>>
>>90371325
OVERSHIPPIN'
>>
>>90364753
Totally Awesome, or the post cw2 she-hulk?
>>
>>90365158
I'd read it
>>
>>90371461
>>90369683
I gotta agree with that.

>>90371530
>but I fucking bet you they were given a template to follow.

Maybe they're all cribbing off Marvel's press release?

>>90364796
CMYK printing process?
>>
>>90361501
I'm white and this is somehow even worse than the racially self-congratulatory schlock that came out of the 1950s.
>>
>Canceled at issue 4
>Relaunched the next month
>Free issues given away to shops
>Rinse
>Repeat
>>
>>90368229
And they do it FOR FREE
>>
>>90361210
New Super-Man?
>>
>>90362982
What goes next? She get triggered becouse " black hole" is a racist term and "white move first" on chess become a real issue.
>>
File: batroc strikes.jpg (232KB, 677x733px) Image search: [Google]
batroc strikes.jpg
232KB, 677x733px
>>90367551
>or a French speaking dude reading Gambit's lines, mon ami, oui?

Nobody ever complains about Batroc in this way.
>>
>>90359056
>Marvel Comics provided Graphic Policy with a FREE copy for review
>>
>>90363451
>what the word stands for
it's not an acronym faggot. it doesn't stand for anything.
>>
>>90359002
There are comic book reviewers?
>>
>>90364366
>literally admits to being a D*sney intern
Truly dogfags are a lower class of human.
>>
>>90376857
only for issue #1 of these shitty fagged up runs lol. A few of those authors had only like one or two other posts.
>>
>>90365556
And what, it doesn't suck ass because thats what you think? That's not a legitimate defense.
>>
>>90364930
>big stink
hehe
>>
>>90376857
HMMMMMMMM?
>>
File: 1383520787751.jpg (43KB, 573x518px) Image search: [Google]
1383520787751.jpg
43KB, 573x518px
>>90359011
>>90359024

>Comicosity: Blah blah blah queer shit...blah blah blah...MUH TEARS

>NerdsOnRocks: Yep its a comic book. Buy it if it interests you
>>
>>90377532
For once this isn't his fault. Yet.
>>
File: 1330382069374.png (1MB, 826x738px) Image search: [Google]
1330382069374.png
1MB, 826x738px
>>90360128

Why is so Marvel so out of touch with the world?
>>
>>90378412
>Why is so Marvel so out of touch with the world?
Because it hasn't had a good EiC since, I don't know, Jim Shooter.
>>
>>90378524

Man Jim Shooter would get Marvel back in line real quick.
>>
>>90370011
¿Que carajos es en serio?
Vaya, Marvel se puede ir a la mierda.
>>
>>90359056
>SHAY REVOLVER
come back when you have a real name
>>
>>90359365

They up the cringe factor on most of these characters every few years to make them "better".

Sort of like how Kate Bishop started out as a great respectable girl... Then she turned into a tramp who'd screw a guy without even knowing his name (esp. if that guy was a superhuman)... Then she turned into a ninnying lecturing schoolmarm for Clint... Then she turned into a crusader against cyberbullying.

America also started out as a great character. By her Vol. 2 #1 relaunch later this year, I imagine she'll also be trans-abled and an expert on climate change.
>>
>>90370865
>No, GGers were morons but they at least fought an 'enemy' with the slightest amount of influence. Comic book criticism is literally nothing.

To reiterate, video game publishers insanely choose to compensate their developers based as much on scores as on sales, something that makes VG devs arguably bigger cuçks than comic book creatives (and I never thought that was possible).

Comic book publishers are like the rest of the entertainment industry and only concerned with sales as their bottom line. If blogs meant shit, Stephanie Brown would have been brought back the day after she died.
>>
>>90378561
I'M SORRY JIM I WAS WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
WE NEED YOU BACK
>>
>>90359819

They don't believe what they're writing, but only because they aren't really self-aware beings. They "believe" in the words they type to the same extent that a rat in a Skinner box "believes" in the moral goodness of pushing a button to get a food pellet.
>>
>>90378825

the difference is videogame reviewers generally give good scores to games considered good, and bad ones to games considered bad.
And there is a shitload of them, enough for metacritic to create a good aggregate.
(in the videogame world a 7/10 is terrible, 8 is good, 9 is amazing, more than 9 supposedly a classic)

comic critics give good scores to terrible books a lot, a lot, and they also ignore good books very often.
This happens imo because being A) almost no one buys comics B) Comics arent very expensive. So comic book reviewers cant burn a consumer in the same way a videogame reviewer can (a market in which millions of people could spend 60 dollars for 1 thing, and get angry if they bought something awful)

I am pretty sure comic book critics like Lemire Extraordinary X Men more than Bunn's Uncanny.
>>
>>90359819
>The comic "reviewer" industry needs it's own gamergate.

Until you can prove these reviewers are literally fucking some of the writers or being promised sex by them, it won't be comparable. GG was as much about exposing literal corruption within the indie game scene which was supposed to be free of this shit as it was behind-the-scenes collusion between """journos""", and just as importantly, manufactured harassment which has not yet manifested.

The closest resemblance to GG is that these reviewers are overfed white kids who as usual have no real connection to the hobby they're covering but are convinced they know what's best for it.

THAT'S intolerable, but bear in mind that even Disney will eventually look at Marvel and remind them that blip.tv got taken behind the barn and shot for not making money.
>>
i've been ranting for years /co/ should get it's own zine if it's so invested in comics writing

>>90379062

>I am pretty sure comic book critics like Lemire Extraordinary X Men more than Bunn's Uncanny.

yeah dude, one book has greg Land art.
>>
>>90379062
No, the difference is that reviews actually matter to the industry with video games. AND NOWHERE FUCKING ELSE, comic books in particular.

Video games are the world's largest economic entertainment sector, so large they dwarf the rest combined. Comic books, despite their popular awareness thanks to capeshit, are still an incredibly niche business which is paradoxically doing far worse in sales than the 80s when there were maybe one capeshit film every couple of years at best.

Virtue signaling and blogshaming would mean something if the readers actually purchased comic books. Marvel is learning SLOWLY that they don't; DC figured this out with Rebirth and nuWally.
>>
>>90370100
You sound like a reviewer desperately tying to justify their bullshit.
>>
>>90379204
>No, the difference is that reviews actually matter to the industry with video games. AND NOWHERE FUCKING ELSE, comic books in particular.

People from /v/ don't really understand this, might be a lost cause to argue with them.
>>
>>90379204
I have never read a comic book review, I just pick them up and decide if they're worth continuing based on what I read. Does anyone actually utilize these dipsticks or are they just a useless side effect?
>>
>>90359002
Multiversity Comics - Jacob Hill
>A fun first issue that promises to satisfy superfans, andmaybe even do some recruiting for Team America.
>>
>>90359002
IGN - Jesse Schedeen
>If there were any doubts that Miss America truly needed her own comic, America #1 should put them to rest. This new series features an engaging take on the adventurous America Chavez, one that emphasizes goofy humor and grounded character drama over superheroics. Anyone who enjoys The Unbeatable Squirrel Girl or Hawkeye will feel right at home here.
>8.5/10
>>
>>90360128
>>90362982
>>90363176
>>90363188
.....Who keeps buying this shit?
>>
The Newsarama reviewer was completely buttfucked in the comment section.

Poor soul.
>>
>>90382620
No one. That's what makes it so funny.
>>
C'moooon bump limit
>>
>>90363393
Neonomicon is fucking Watchmen quality compared to this shit. The worst thing about Neonomicon is the fish rape stuff, other than that the book is ok and made retroactively better by Providence. This book is filled with "fish rape"-tier moments and the quality of the writing, dialogue, and pacing is pretty shit on its own terms. It's not the absolute worst thing I've ever read, but it's certainly was pretty down there. I'd certainly read another Neonomicon before it, that's for sure.
>>
>>90382697
pretty much this
expect a fucking ton of marvel #1s from 2016/2017 next free comic books day because of over-shipping to inflate sales projections, and remember STAY THE FUCK AWAY THEY ARE TRAPS
>>
>>90361466

They never fucking were.
>>
>>90377374
Why should I defend something that's receiving no legitimate criticism? He says it's bad, the burden of proof is on him.
>>
>>90368850
>Your country is going to be wiped off the map this century
Enjoy your poison water.
>>
>>90369683
I know you're being sarcastic
I wasn't. I hate this place for you guys thinking I was being sarcastic. I really like Finn and I'd rather have him as the protagonist.
>>
>>90382889
"burden of proof" arguments are just another way of deflecting you lazy fuck. Both of you. The burden of proof is equally on your shoulders because you choose to partake in the argument, so do your part and prove yourself right, or sit down, shut up and stop sucking cock so fucking loudly.
>>
>>90382937

I'm with you man. Rey is fucking shit
>>
>>90382962
I want Rey to be written well. I'm not opposed to the character, just the script and how she's written.
>>
>>90382979
Good luck with that.
>>
>>90382979
>just the script and how she's written.

That is Rey. Shes not real. All she is is the script. So shes shit
>>
>>90369840
Yes. At least gaymers made a stand even if it was gay as fuck. Comicfags let these people dp their assholes regularly and we've come to a point where we don't have a single uncucked writer.
>>
>>90359056
>‘Rama Rating: 9 out of 10

>It’s 2017 and a queer Latina superhero has her own solo title at a Big Two publisher. Let that sink in.

>In writer Gabby Rivera’s first comic book outing, she proves that she has a clear understanding of storytelling above all else, even if there are some rough edges to smooth out in the delivery. Thankfully, she’s got a stellar creative team in penciller Joe Quinones, father-son inkers Joe and Paolo Rivera, colorist Jose Villarrubia and letterer/designer Travis Lanham. The story itself is a bit of a throwback - a story that feels a little bit Silver Age-y in tone but still modern in execution - but America is a character that has rapidly built a fanbase since her debut in Vengeance #1 and her rise through the ranks of Marvel’s younger heroes is proof that a solo outing is more than deserved.
>>
>>90382697
>>90382862
>>
>>90362775
Jane sucks as thor and the debut is what has soured my view of the book. I only begrudgingly admit that the book has improved now, but thats because I think it should have been like this since the beginning. Plus the only reason it outsold og thor is because it was actually advertised well.
>>
>>90383089
>Comic books have chewed up and spit out more than a few writers, even ones who have been working at the medium for a while. But good writers are able to adapt, and that’s what Gabby Rivera does here. She starts the book out with America in a very familiar place - leading the Ultimates - and that allows her to familiarize readers with the kind of hero that America is, seamlessly integrating some of her backstory into the proceedings through a few inner monologue boxes that don’t slow down the pace or interfere with the art. There’s a really natural flow to it. This is the right way to execute Stan Lee’s idea that any comic could be someone’s first rather than overwhelming readers with recaps and exposition. America can clearly hold her own with Monica Rambeau and Carol Danvers. She’s respected by Black Panther and Blue Marvel. She’s strong and resilient and has a wariness about her that makes her a bit wise beyond her years. The concept of the title overall is pretty expansive, but it allows the book to go a lot of different directions. And if America #1 was just that, it would be a solid superhero book and a statement on its own. But thankfully, it’s not.

>Rivera doesn’t shy away from any aspect of America’s character, specifically her heritage and sexuality. A big part of this story is about America heading off to college and inevitably that will have an effect on her relationships, namely her girlfriend Halloran. Comic books have a long history of beating around the bush when it comes to queer relationships, but it has been slowly getting better of late. America is part of that push to portray relationships realistically and the result is a pretty emotional scene between two people who just aren’t on the same page anymore.
>>
>>90383089
>Let that sink in.

And keep sinking further and further.
>>
>>90370317
Fuck you buddy, I identify as Nosforatu
>>
>>90383108
>America is part of that push to portray relationships realistically

I feel bad for dykes, then.
>>
>>90383108
>With regards to her heritage, America slips some Spanish into her conversations fairly regularly, and she’s attending Sotomayor University. Eagle-eyed readers will note that the university’s slogan is borrowed from the Queen of Tejano herself, Selena - “Como La Flor Con Tanto Amor.” And the school features a diverse group of students including the slightly awkwardly introduced Fifth Element-themed sorority “Leelumultiplass Phi Theta Betas.” I love the idea but their introduction is overwhelmed by their wordy, rhyming dialogue.

>The pacing of the issue takes a hit when America is late to class. (In fact, it feels like we as readers are as far behind as she suddenly is.) But Joe Quinones and the rest of the art team’s consistently great work throughout the book keeps that from really being a concern. Quinones’s work really embodies the best of what Marvel Comics have to offer. He’s able to deliver iconic action moments and really intense interpersonal ones. And his character designs are absolutely gorgeous. A lot of artists have a problem dressing their characters like real people but Quinones takes a lot of pride in giving even the silent background characters very unique looks. That kind of attention to details makes the world feel a lot more real especially when Rivera is making up large swaths of it. Character aesthetics help underline a character's personality and it goes past just wearing a superhero costume.

>Quinones also places an emphasis in all of his work on character expressions. There’s nothing more effective in visual storytelling than being able to have a character give a really cutting side-eye or huge smile. It makes Rivera’s script feel more visceral when it needs to be.
>>
>>90383138
Favorite part here
>Cynics will be quick to decry Marvel’s push for diversity as a cash-grab, a hollow gesture fueled by capitalism, the disease of political correctness infecting comics, or the last gasps of a company struggling to remain relevant as comic book sales continue to dip. At this point, those arguments are so boring. They don’t want legacy heroes, but they’ll still complain when new characters are created. Regardless of Marvel's reasons, America Chavez has her own solo title, complete with a notable creative team and solid conceit. It’s a triumphant debut that almost dares readers not to be entertained.

>The change is here. It’s right now. It’s going to wreck everything. And comic books will be so much better for it.

kek
>>
>>90383093
actually, it was the fact they were recieving like double the amount and having to pay extra shipping for a whole bunch of glossy garbage was the main reason they were complaining.
>>
>>90383159
This bitch needs to fuck off.
>>
>>90368965
>her lesbian romances
Could anything have been more stupid and badly written than Chavez's breakup with her girlfriend? I could see why the nurse wouldn't want to move to Xavier's School for Gay Aliens, but why does it matter to Chavez? She can punch herself to anywhere.
>>
Black Nerd Problems - Omar Holmon
>“And I got slang from every region,
I be speakin’ stars and stripes and I be dreamin’ pledge allegiance”- Lupe Fiasco

>Just so we are all clear, the soundtrack to reading this review is Lupe Fiasco’s “Made In The U.S.A.” as it’s the only song to capture the magnitude of the excitement of America Chavez’s solo title debut. We’ve been waiting for Gabby Rivera and Joe Quinones to take the reigns for America Chavez and they get the world building jumping from page one. Ya girl Chavez got an updated outfit but still rocking the same “try me” attitude we’ve come to love about her. We got hints that this series would be exploring Chavez discovering more about her powers and let’s just say punching a mofo so hard they turn into billions of stars is a great place to start.

>Rivera touches on the loss of America’s mothers as well (which I wasn’t expecting) and I knew I was invested as I experienced a similar loss. Looking at the panel of Chavez reflecting back to what she had lost made me think of a line that Catalina Ferro once said, “I am bad loser, worse mourner”, we haven’t delved into America’s loss of her parents that deeply in earlier appearances and it becomes evident how that loss affected her personality since a young age. This becomes incredibly blatant when Chavez is with her girlfriend and finds out her partner no longer wants to go with their [America’s] plans for their future. It may seem a bit out of character when looking at how Chavez’s reacted but take into account what she lost and how she survived on her own since childhood, it’s textbook defense mechanism, which I really loved to seeing as an exploration into her character.
>>
>>90383229
>Rivera makes great strides in knowing her history as we see not only Chavez’s interaction with her Ultimate teammates but in meeting up with her best friend Kate Bishop as well. I loved this cameo as we’ve seen Chavez appear in Kate’s previous title as well as mentioned just this week in Bishop’s current title. Rivera has Chavez enrolling in college but not any college, this is Sonia Sotomayor’s university. Literally. The draw up for the campus is fucking gorgeous and filled with personality. Chavez runs into someone’s she familiar with on campus but I’ll leave that as an easter egg for the fandom. The courses are very hand on at this school and Chavez learns this the hard way. This leads into the next adventure she undergoes after a somewhat rushed decision on a group project. Group project? Yeaaaaaah, let’s call it that. The first arc is going to focus on not so much where Chavez is going but when she is going, if you get my drift.

>Can we talk about this artwork from Joe Quinones for a minute? My favorite moments so far are his drawings of Chavez cringing at affection and being so fed up with displays of emotion. I. Liiiiiiiive! I was shouting, “Senpai, me too” at the hilarity of it all. Seriously, from Chavez’s incredible new outfit (I’m mad her fresh ass kicks got traded in but I respect the new kick game). Chavez’s new outfit is an incredible updated homage to the Golden Age Miss America, Madeline Joyce Frank. Her outfits this entire issue were flame emojis tho and that’s such a small detail that makes a big difference when seeing your fave hero in their civilian attire. Quinones has a great knack for capturing Chavez’s range of emotions from snark, frustration, and joy. Your girl is def in safe hands with this artist at the helm.
>>
File: make america shit again.png (726KB, 1024x599px) Image search: [Google]
make america shit again.png
726KB, 1024x599px
>>90383257
>Rivera and Quinones are not only world building but multiverse building out here for Chavez. We’ve seen her comrades, we’ve seen her friends, we saw her get a cosign from Storm [aka the Beyonce of Marvel 616] so you know what’s really good, and now we’re going to see our girl in action on her own. America Chavez is the perfect choice for voice of reason in our current times [ya girl oh so militant, ain’t she] and this team is going to have great a time with that.

Jesus
>>
File: 14876373941638.png (342KB, 638x478px) Image search: [Google]
14876373941638.png
342KB, 638x478px
>>90383281
>Storm [aka the Beyonce of Marvel 616]
>>
>>90359375
I would be astonished if this lasted 10 issues, but it will be 3 months before we start seeing sales figures. Guess I'll have to chat up the guys working at my LCS to see if #1 sold at all.
>>
>>90359011
Holy fuck, look at Allen Thomas's review. The guy literally rates every comic that is SJW pandering nonsense 8 or higher lol.

http://comicbookroundup.com/comic-books/reviewer/allen-thomas

How is this guy allowed to critique anything. This is just like Gamergate nonsense.
>>
>>90383229
>let’s just say punching a mofo so hard they turn into billions of stars is a great place to start.
>>90383257
>Her outfits this entire issue were flame emojis tho
>>90383281
>America Chavez is the perfect choice for voice of reason in our current times [ya girl oh so militant, ain’t she]

I know black nerd problems has a style they write to but this review came off pretty cringy
>>
>>90363024
/co/'s blowing it out of proportion, but this comic is pretty bad.
>>
when the fuck are white parents going to start naming their girls Mexico?
>>
>>90361363
To be fair that is the most patriotic thing you can do
>>
>>90363393
This was a great issue.
>>
>>90383373
>HOW DO YOU DO FELLOW BLACKS
Thread posts: 533
Thread images: 55

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.