[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Most superheroes have a very established origin story, but do

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 20

File: manofsteel.jpg (40KB, 691x357px) Image search: [Google]
manofsteel.jpg
40KB, 691x357px
Most superheroes have a very established origin story, but do you know of any that have a very established, generally accepted end? I like to think how superheroes ultimately end it, whether it's a blaze of glory or a quiet death. How would you want your favorite hero to end?
>>
Ending crime once and for all.
>>
> but do you know of any that have a very established, generally accepted end?
Is Merlin a superhero?
>>
File: Secret_(comics).png (164KB, 250x530px) Image search: [Google]
Secret_(comics).png
164KB, 250x530px
Superheros only end from disuse.

Secret from Young Justice pretty much has the only happy version of that.
>>
File: Jonah Hex - 66.jpg (360KB, 1024x971px) Image search: [Google]
Jonah Hex - 66.jpg
360KB, 1024x971px
While not actually a superhero, this is something I've always appreciated about Jonah Hex: that we know the year, the age he had and the exact way he died. Not only that, but we know everything that happened afterwards. And that always went a long way towards making him more human to me. Because no matter how many close calls he has or how many times he cheats death, we know for a fact that, eventually, his luck runs out and he dies a terrible, pitiful, sad death that only gets worse after he dies.
Sgt. Rock has something similar, and although his death is a bit more heroic, it's also extremely tragic and pathetic in its own way.
>>
>>90295140
>How would you want your favorite hero to end?
Copy the end of All-Star Superman, but replace the Sun with the Speedforce.
>>
>>90295169
>Ending all sapient life on Earth
ftfy and it's been done already
>>
File: spider-man12.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
spider-man12.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
>>90295140
He retired from super heroing, got a job with the police force, and had kids with the girl next door.
>>
File: sometimes I wonder.jpg (308KB, 1271x788px) Image search: [Google]
sometimes I wonder.jpg
308KB, 1271x788px
>>90295140
Miracleman has a fantastic ending. This is the final panel. Just read the comic
>>
>>90295140

Superman: Secret identity
>>
File: 2069584-monaghan_end.jpg (189KB, 1024x773px) Image search: [Google]
2069584-monaghan_end.jpg
189KB, 1024x773px
>>
Wasn't there supposed to be some final destiny for Mr. Immortal?
>>
>>90295395
He survives to the end of the universe and becomes the Galactus of the next one.
>>
File: JGA.jpg (93KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
JGA.jpg
93KB, 640x480px
These guys had the best ending.
>>
>>90295271
>that's 60
That's nothing today.
>>
File: GLA 04 page 07.jpg (592KB, 1280x2001px) Image search: [Google]
GLA 04 page 07.jpg
592KB, 1280x2001px
>>90295395
>>
>>90295471
Not when you live a life like Hex.
>>
>>90295271
Except for new 52 retconning that with him getting plastic surgury in the present and spending the rest of his life banging his waifu
>>
>>90295140
Whatever the ending, its a safe bet Batman's is a miserable existence.
But personally I like the Beyond version, where hes alienated everyone
>>
File: Jonah Hex - ASW Finale.jpg (1MB, 1920x2951px) Image search: [Google]
Jonah Hex - ASW Finale.jpg
1MB, 1920x2951px
>>90295548
I feel like that should piss me off a lot more than it does, but to be honest, after almost forty years of having that particular Damocles' Sword hanging over his head, it did feel kinda nice for him to get a happy ending in one universe.
>>
Mar-Vell is the obvious answer
>>
>>90295482
What is this from?
>>
File: not this one.gif (308KB, 480x270px) Image search: [Google]
not this one.gif
308KB, 480x270px
>>90295731
couldnt possibly be great lakes avengers, issue 4, page 07
>>
>>90295637
Manhatten gave someone a good end at least
>>
>>90295140
My headcannon ending for Superman is basically Kingdom Come's, except with Lois.

>has a bunch of kids who take up his mantle
>earth slowly transforms into a glorious sci-fi utopia, mankind adopts Kryptonian technology and abilities while retaining Earthling morality
>he has more glorious adventures, then eventually, happily, passes away centuries later, leaving a glorious, happy world, to reunite with all his friends, family, and Lois, who have gone before.
>>
>>90295795
If I knew what that stood for I wouldn't have asked but thank you anyways.
>>
>>90295795
>not this one.gif
It's an old, stupid joke but it gets a smile out of me every time.
>>
>>90295140
Most things that show the future its always pretty grim. While not necessarily their ultimate "end" they've shown Superman lose faith and either leave the planet or retreat to his farm and ignore the world. Batman is generally shown to become a bitter old man with crime still flourishing. I'm sure many are killed as their skills get rusty and new villains are stronger then them. Some retire and die quietly of old age.
>>
>>90295140
Yeah, Barry dies saving the universe and never comes back
>>
>>90295471
That's the point dumbass, and on top of that his life is constant violence.
>>
>>90295140
New 52 Superman died and will never return.
>>
>>90296201
Supposedly
>>
>>90295902

This. But I don't think he should be immortal. I prefer stories where he ages the same as a human. I like the idea of old and retired Clark Bruce and Diana shooting the shit as the next generation takes care of business.
>>
File: Flash saw what you did there.png (347KB, 278x453px) Image search: [Google]
Flash saw what you did there.png
347KB, 278x453px
>>90296165
>>
>>90296201

All great heroes return.

That means Superbro is gone forever.
>>
File: laststand.jpg (922KB, 445x4000px) Image search: [Google]
laststand.jpg
922KB, 445x4000px
I liked Skurge's last stand. Pity they decided to bring him back.
>>
>>90296295
>>
>>90295140
Superman has a couple of versions of that story doesn't he?

What Ever Happened to The Man of Tomorrow, is the version i've read. Though apparently All Star Superman is another.
>>
The problem is that most super hero end stories aren't designed to be the end, the final story with epilogue. Their meant to be false futures that start off some other story, or what ifs for time travel things. So they're sort of possible ends, but of course Batman always goes to shit, that's how you have another future Batman or something.
>>
>>90296337
If there isn't something like this in Thor 3 they should have never had him in the movie to begin with.
>>
File: may.jpg (57KB, 550x353px) Image search: [Google]
may.jpg
57KB, 550x353px
>>90296337
>Pity they decided to bring him back.
explains almost every good death in comics
>>
>>90295318
I always felt weird for saying that the book had a happy ending, like he accomplished all the things a superhero sets out to do (ending crime forever), but in a way that keeps reminding me of Nazism.
>>
>>90296295
Superbro was cool though other then his dumb power less phase where he looked like some random faggot in the military.
>>
>>90296751
Which is why >>90295364 works so damn well.

Ain't nobody gonna revive Ennis's characters without his permission.
>>
>>90295140
>How would you want your favorite hero to end?

Well there really is only two things that come to mind. The hero gets killed in action or he eventually retires when reaching old age.

I have would imagine they would be pushed into retirement by the younger heros around him.

Seeing that he is no longer wanted and that there are plenty of new heros around they reluctantly retire and eventually die of old age.

They would probably spend there retirement in the same way a war veteran spends his retirement, thinking of all the people they saw die in front of him and feeling like they did not do enough.
>>
Gotham, 35 years in the future.

Bruce Wayne is now 75 years old and has adopted the Bat ExoSuit we see in Kingdom Come. He has rejected Dick Grayson time and time again to take up the mantle of Batman. Tim Drake, now 53, has become his own hero outside the Batfamily, and a 46 year old Damien Wayne has estranged Bruce, moving to Metropolis to act as a Police Officer.

When a new incarnation of the Joker resurfaces after 30 years of silence, he ambushes the Bat Cave. Explosives ring all around, and try as he might, Bruce has no fight left in him and allows the Cave to fall. He realizes he did everything he could as Batman, but comes to the final conclusion, with his final breath, that he made a mistake; Batman is a symbol, not a man. He dies with regret, knowing he could have groomed a new Batman. As he takes his final breath, the Joker laughs, runs up the stairs of Wayne Manor, and is immediately impaled by a large knife. The Joker says "that's not funny..." and dies.

As the panel changes, we see Damien Wayne holding the knife. Dick and Tim Drake show up and see Damien digging through the wreckage. As they call out to him, he ignores them; they descend the stairs, and grab Damien, turning him around. He has a large smile on his face. As the two former Robins recoil in confusion, Damien cocks his head to the side and asks, "why so serious?"

End.
>>
File: Starman_Vol_2_80.jpg (39KB, 400x610px) Image search: [Google]
Starman_Vol_2_80.jpg
39KB, 400x610px
>>
>>90295140
This has been my main problem with floppies, actually.

Because of the very nature of the business, there's rarely a sense of the story being truly complete. Of course, you have runs that DO form very good stories that are self-contained, but for the most part editorial mandate keeps things going on and on with no direction or end.

It's why I prefer graphic novels and collected works. There's a sense there, at least, of a completed story.
>>
>>90295438
shit fucked me up
>>
>>90295482
it would be worth it
>>
File: deathofcapmarvel.jpg (503KB, 1562x2165px) Image search: [Google]
deathofcapmarvel.jpg
503KB, 1562x2165px
>>
>>90296751
this was the worst thing to ever happen to spiderman.
>>
>>90295308
I heard Barry runs so fast one day that he becomes the speedforce in the form of a lightning bolt that strikes him giving him his powers
>>
File: all_star_superman.jpg (101KB, 600x922px) Image search: [Google]
all_star_superman.jpg
101KB, 600x922px
>>90295140
>>
>>90298821
>>90295308
This is part of why I love the Flash as a character and as a concept. He's so circular. Superman is the archetype of the superhero, but I think that the Flash really represents the superhuman to me. A man who keeps his humanity despite being unbounded by all normal laws of time and space. The man who creates himself.
>>
>>90299031

Personally, what I love about the Flash and all Flash's is how utterly bullshit their powers are. It's so utterly ridiculous over the top it's perfect for a comic book. And the right writers make it all dramatic, enthralling, and character driven. I may like other characters more, but even with Superman out there, the Flash's may be the most quintessentially comic book characters there are.
>>
>>90298511

He did retire and drive off into the sunset with his rape baby.

He was the one raped.
>>
I kind of liked Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow ending for Superman. Only in the sense that he saves the day but also loses his powers then no one knows what happened to him but Clark goes on to lead a quiet life with his wife and kid. The All-Star Superman death was good for him too.

Bruce will live long and end up being a grumpy single old man ala Batman Beyond but seeing how in the comics he has more kids and his relationship with them is better he'll have people looking out for him and he'll quietly pass in his sleep.

Captain America goes out in a blaze of glory or dies a hero, Steve is a guy who will never settle down and will fight until the very end so that's the only way I can see him go.

Spider-Girl was the perfect end for Peter, he retires and becomes a family man and sees his kids take on his legacy. Fuck Dan Slott.

Barry had a good death in Infinite Crisis or he'll die becoming pure Speed Force.

>>90298699
This was also a good send off, at least YAAAASSS Queen will keep others from fucking with him, Mar-Vell can RIP now.
>>
>>90295140
The Question, between Dennis O'Neil and his 52 storyline, he had a very clear character arc that concluded with his death.
>>
File: RCO023_1475746142.jpg (2MB, 1920x2952px) Image search: [Google]
RCO023_1475746142.jpg
2MB, 1920x2952px
>>90295140
>Most superheroes have a very established origin story, but do you know of any that have a very established, generally accepted end?
Yes, Silver Agent from Astro City.
>>
I think it was this Image hero, Caliente. His whole premise is that his powers turn him into a nuclear reactor and eventually he's going to blow up.
>>
>>90295822
Nothing ever ends, Adrian.
>>
>>90298419
Jason has to be the one to kill the Joker.
>>
>>90299477
I'd like a final future last stand for the Avengers founding members. Like, they're all retired or in support/research position and something just comes up and they have to suit up one last time just to show the youngest heroes how it's done.

Dunno how this works with Banner, but old Tony in maybe one of his earliest (iconic shell head) armors, aged Steve in scalemail with the round shield, etc. Hank's gotta go super-giant one last time and his heart gives out, etc.
>>
>>90295140
Honestly, Batman's not my favorite, but if I had to give him an ending it would go something like...
>Bruce is retired and Terry's taken over for years now
>Decides to go see a movie one night
>Bruce is leaving and watches a husband, wife, and son head down and ally and are followed
>Bruce follows, old and feeble, he'll give his life if he must to stop another young boy from being orphaned in that ally
>He hears screams
>He thinks he's too late
>Rounds the corner and finds five different heroes have tackled the mugger to the dirt including Terry
>The police are there too, no longer corrupt or ineffective
>Bruce falls to his knees in relief
>Bruce Wayne as Batman, or even supporting Batman, is truly no longer needed
>His soul can finally rest
>>
I personally liked the End of the 616 Marvel Universe, at the end of the Incursion Saga.

It tested the heroes, the villains, and pretty much every character got a defining moment that served to illustrate their heroism, and their human flaws. Thor died fighting a last, futile stand alongside a worthy comrade. Tony developed weapons right into the end, showing the awesome might of what he can do when he sets his mind to, creating the most powerful weapons he ever has, in hopes of staving universal death for one more second. Steve fought to uphold his faith and beliefs, because for him, morals are more important than anyone's survival.Doctor Strange tried to sell whatever remains of his soul, only to find that he no longer has a soul left to sell, in his pursuit for endless power.He then became part of a near inhuman , amoral cult of universal surgeons, amorally cutting at the universe to buy some time.

There's a lot more, but I think I was pleased at that end of the Marvel universe.It felt like I got to feel each character's final worth and their measure.
>>
>>90301457
I agree that Bruce wouldn't allow himself to die until he feels his "mission" is complete, or that it will continue without him.
>>
File: Batman.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
Batman.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
We didn't quite see him dead, but this is pretty much how I've always seen Batman going out. He just gets old, slowly deteriorates to the point where he belongs in a nursing home, then they find him on the floor of the bat cave one day. No heroic or ironic death, just mundane death from old age.
>>
>>90301521
>Steve fought to uphold his faith and beliefs, because for him, morals are more important than anyone's survival

Nah that's wrong, Hickman doesn't get the character at all and that is not who Cap is.

Steve has also broken his morals if it meant people lived or as a last resort He killed a terrorist to save people back when Gruenwald had given him a no kill rule, he gave up in Civil War because he saw the damage ha had caused and how civilians were against him even if he still didn't believe in the registration act.

Also Cap's priority would have been with saving people from the incursion if not he would have gone down with the dying universe like a captain with his boat because he's the kind of man who doesn't leave anyone behind.

Making the Illuminati pay for their crimes would have been after the priority list of saving their reality.

Hickman only purpose was to wank it to Reed Richards and Doom and in the end it came to those two anyway and fuck that.

However I did like Thor's and Hyperion's death, those were good.
>>
>>90302519
I like it because it's the death everyone least expects for him and it's the death Bruce would want less.

Like in JLU when Bruce meets the older Bruce and he tells him he's surprised that he would live so long.
>>
>>90295318
This is a pretty powerful scene in the context of the story.
Thread posts: 71
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.