[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I want to get into Guardians of the Galaxy. Where should I begin?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 6

I want to get into Guardians of the Galaxy. Where should I begin?
>>
>>90274059
ANNIHILATION, ANNIHILATION: Conquest, DnA's Guardians of the Galaxy, The Thanos Imperative, Annihilators, and Annihilators: Earthfall
>>
>>90274070
This. These are to date the best stories with the team and some of the best stories Marvel has put out in a LONG ASS TIME.

You can also read DnA's Nova at the same time as the GotG run, it introduces Cosmo and is pretty sweet in and of itself.

Stay away from anything with the Guardians after Marvel NOW, around the time Bendis starts writing it. The quality drops like a rock, its based on a shitty early script of the movie with the Badoon, it's got continuity problems up the wazoo, and spits in the face of the original in several ways, not least of which being that one of the great strengths of the original series is its fondness for classic quirks of continuity and its willingness to jump around and mess with alternate continuities. Seriously, even the stuff that seems easily brilliant in Bendis' run, like exploring the extraterrestrial element of the symbiotes, or having Ben Grimm on the team, suck major balls.

Skottie Young's Rocket Racoon is pretty much the only thing decent to come out of the Guardians since the movie has come out, as far as I'm aware.
>>
>>90274059
Avoid anything written by Bendis
>>
>>90274070
>recommending Annihilators
>recommending Annihilators: Earthfall

why

Have we really reached the point where we hate Bendis so much that we would rather read that garbage?

>>90275335
Pretty much. There have been a few one-shots or infinite comics I didn't hate. Bunn's Drax was pretty fun and Loveness' Groot was okay.

Oh, there's also the classic GOTG adventures in Guardians 3K, Korvac Saga, and Guardians of Infinity. Those are all pretty good, even if Guardians 3K just kind of abruptly stops.
>>
>>90278997
>why

It's the apotheosis of the series where the Guardians manage to inspire some cosmic A-listers into giving a damn so they can pool their joint powers into ending crises with relatively little bedlam.

It's the "They Lives Happily Ever After"/"The Adventure Continues" feel good sort of epilogue. It's fluff, but it's meant to assure the reader that the GotG didn't suffer and die for nothing and left the universe a better place than they found it.
>>
>>90274070

This and Novas. The rest is shit. Blame the movie.
>>
>>90279255
>Blame the movie

That's retarded. If the movie didn't exist then there would be no more GOTG period, good or bad.
>>
File: 1751421-imagen_1.png (720KB, 649x734px) Image search: [Google]
1751421-imagen_1.png
720KB, 649x734px
>>90279603

Cosmic Marvel still managed to stay popular and would've continued. Thanks to the movie, we got stuck with Bendis and he shit all over Thanos Imperative. Now GotG are Earth based heroes and lost all the appeal of being separate from all that.

Thinking the movie didn't open the floodgates for meme spouting casual bait is retarded.
>>
>>90279757
>Cosmic Marvel still managed to stay popular and would've continued.

What alternate universe are you from? GOTG and Nova were cancelled, both leaders and teams were dead/disbanded, and Annihilators proved to be a wet fart. DnA's cult run was over, and I seriously doubt anyone else would have picked GOTG up if not for the movie because there was literally nowhere else to go.

Blame the movie for making GOTG a hot property if you want you fucking hipster, but it didn't deprive us of any good stories because the story was over. DNA closed that book themselves.
>>
>>90280341
this.
The movie didn't hurt anything. If the comics didn't try to emulate it, it would be seen as a decent adaptation of the comics.

Bendis is to blame for being an unimaginative hack who can't into cosmic.
>>
File: image.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px)
image.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
>>90280341
Nice revisionist history pal,Nova was selling just above 30 000 and gaurdians as well was a surprise hit,the books got cancelled because a)Loeb was in charge of making the ultimate spider man cartoon an made a nova to be his sons self insert,Marvel let him make the character in the comics and the nova series floundered worse than ever before b)The plans to make the movie needed Marvel to hire there top creators into guardians,in this case McNiven and Bendis,unfortunately Bendis was always a street level writer,making him write cosmic lead to massive drop in stakes,adventures or fun.Blame marvel editorial,GOTG and nova were shit long before the movies,try only got worse due to writers relying to much on "LOOK "Ooga ChAka!1!1Just like the movies,pls buy us) ergo what gaurdians is still a bad seller.The movies didn't save the comics but they certainly didn't ruin them
>>
You stop when Bendis appears
>>
File: Mass Effect 4.jpg (654KB, 893x1356px) Image search: [Google]
Mass Effect 4.jpg
654KB, 893x1356px
Brian Michael Bendis run is the kino or in other words the best Guardians run
>>
File: image.jpg (45KB, 625x626px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
45KB, 625x626px
>>90282348
>>
File: image.jpg (202KB, 1638x920px)
image.jpg
202KB, 1638x920px
>>90282298
>>what's the worst that could happen
>>
>>90282298
You got a source for any of that? I have a hard time believing Marvel would give DnA the boot for no reason if they still had stories left to tell. Especially when Bendis is on record saying he didn't even want GOTG in the first place. No, DnA ended GOTG and Nova on their terms with Thanos Imperative, the only thing they didn't get to cover was exactly how Rich and Peter died.
>>
>>90274059
Is that venom or im totally lost?
>>
>>90282298
No, the main reason it ended was because they couldn't stand each other.
Their run ended in January 2011, and Loeb didn't replace Nova with his dead son until April 2012. I don't think Loeb had any input on what they were doing.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.