[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Rick & Morty Thread

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 119
Thread images: 12

File: www.rickandmortyadventures.com.jpg (64KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
www.rickandmortyadventures.com.jpg
64KB, 960x540px
Because screw the mainstream.
>GOD IS DEAD! THE GOVERNMENT'S LAME!
>THANKSGIVING IS ABOUT KILLING INDIANS!
>JESUS WASN'T BORN ON CHRISTMAS, THEY MOVED THE DATE, IT WAS A PAGAN HOLIDAY!
>>
>>90189138
this show sucks and Rick consistently comes across as a retard on account of being written by a pair of retards
>>
>>90189138

Writers running this shit into the ground by overdeveloping their ideas instead of having fun. Compensating with shit teir careless improv.

Get over yourselves and have some fucking fun you tryhards.
>>
I love 90% of the episodes on first watch, but on every rewatch I get more annoyed and find the show worse. Contrast to something like Futurama where I like it more the more I watch it.

Mostly I hate every cuh-raaazy singing/dancing scene.
>>
>>90189138
Seen what was fun about this line was it was generic tier commentary for this age, so it appealed to normos while being familiar to hardcores like a reference to an old episode of your own life.

A struggle to convey a 'message' is what's going to kill this show, and the writers aren't introspective enough to see that.
>>
>>90189235

can you balance up S1 and S2 in your head? Series one got a ton of rewatchability from me, but S2's jokes felt a bit more 'specific' rather than 'relatable'
>>
>>90189200
are you talking to the two guys or the reddit fans?
>>
>>90189138

These are all mainstream alternative statements
>>
But the government IS lame. That's about the one point I'll admit is an actual theme of the show, the idiocy of individuality vs. the banality of bureaucracy. The rest is just shit Rick says.

Except the last one.

He actually yelled at the others for being on their devices at Xmas cuz "Our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ was born today!" Despite telling Summer "there is no God" earlier. And we see in the season 2 premiere that there are no atheistic Ricks in foxholes. So the point is, Rick just looks for excuses to be contrarian and shit on people because it momentarily makes him feel superior.

You're an idiot if you think you're supposed to see Rick as admirable in any way.
>>
>>90189270
Was just talking about the show in general.
>>
>>90189138
Retards is right. Roiland and Harmon totally fucked over Adult Swim.

Adult Swim HAS to snuff out this show. They just can't afford to invest in prima donnas.

If season 3 is ever released, They'll burn it off at some odd hour and the ratings will be much too low to justify a 4th season (not to mention that season 3 will probably suck because Harmon tinkered with it too much)

Some people got what it takes, some people don't. And this is the 3rd show that Harmon fucked up.
>>
>>90189294
OK, if your not supposed to see him as admirable why are we constantly asked to empathize with him?
>>
>>90189267
S1 was mostly great, S2 had way more misses and duds, but S2 also had a couple of eps that were the best in the series.

So my tier list goes:
>a few S2 episodes
>all of S1
power gap
>the rest of S2

It's still a good show and worth watching, but the trend of S1 being mostly good and S2 going in a direction I don't really enjoy makes me hesitant for S3. It could easily get worse.

For the curious the S2 episodes I really like, and what I feel the whole show should strive towards, are Mortynight Run, Total Rickall and Wedding Squanchers.
>>
>>90189332
wait, who was right when he said retards?
>>
>>90189333

Because he's pathetic which invokes pathos. The type of person who says all of these things is clearly suffering and is therefore pitiable. His behavior is a sign of and a cause of his unhappiness.
>>
>>90189138
All the leftist crap they project on the show IS THE MAINSTREAM!
>>
>>90189376

Yeah, i feel the same here. I'm worried season 3 will just be overdeveloped. As soon as something like this gets popular, a creator can becomes fearful of misinterpritation, so the points they try to make and who their gags are aimed at become more specific and less generaly relatable.

It changes from wacky fun adventures with an old grandad and a syndome grandson to a moral speaking post.

I'm always so surprised by how re-watchable S1 is, and how well the jokes go over with new viewers I share it with, but season 2 there's a lot more conversation in the room and jokes get missed, and if you aren't focused on the plot, a lot of them miss. S1 had many jokes and situations that would pull people back in, shut them up and get their attention back.

I really hope S3 gets more of that, they KNEW this themselves if you listen to the commentary of S1/2 dvd's. I kind of think they just couldnt help themselves though, went full retard etc.
>>
>>90189138
Shit needs to get more alternative and less mainstream if it's going to survive, desu.
>>
>>90189333
Why are you an idiot who needs to admire someone before they can empathize with them?
>>
>morty's crush is BLACKED
kek
>>
>>90189464
I meant mainstream as in Teen Titans Go (of all things), Powerpuff Girls Reboot, basically almost every new show CN is trying to replace actually decent or good ones with.
>>
Reddit will hold onto this show like a confused mother clutching it's dead baby. I feel the shows going to land on the wrong side of culture if they project more foux-progress onto the show.

With earth being 'just another alien planet' in their universe now, I think there's a TON of opportunity to have fun conceptually. Where will rick even live after he escapes from prison?
>>
>>90189466
All I know is if we get another "HEY GUYS BETH AND JERRY'S MARRIAGE IS FAILING" plotline I'm gonna blow a gasket.
>>
>>90189547
Exiled to die on Cobplanet
>>
>>90189138
The show was much better than average, but it also declined in Season 2. I'm still hype for 3, but very cautiously and I won't be too surprised if it goes full shit.
>>
>>90189617
'Our plot lines are on a cob, Morty!' 'IT'S PLOT LINES ON A COB!'
>>
File: Kirk.jpg (24KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
Kirk.jpg
24KB, 320x240px
>>90189518
there's a wide Ocean of judgement between "admire" and "by all means consider a monster"
The fact that the writers, and in many cases viewers, of R&M are to retarded to realize this is doesn't change the fact that he could, you know, not be a casually genocidal child-rapist and still have high-concept society-questioning adventures
>>
>>90189547
You're forgetting that rebooting the continuity takes all of 5 minutes in-show. And it's not like the majority of the show takes place on earth either.
>>
>>90189333
Because he's sometimes a decent guy in spite of being an antisocial asshole, not because of it.
>>
>>90189679
>casually genocidal child-rapist
But he's not a child rapist. In fact, he exploded one on-screen, explicitly to show that there are some moral lines that even Rick won't cross.

I doubt he's "casually genocidal" either since he beat the shit out of that Neo-Nazi, which I'm sure is another reason /co/ hates him.
>>
>>90189235
Futurama past it's original FOX run is shit though
>>
File: Doc and Mahty.png (115KB, 272x272px) Image search: [Google]
Doc and Mahty.png
115KB, 272x272px
So, April 24th right?
or was that just a hoax?
also, if S3 is shit at least we still have the comics
>>
>>90189700
Yes. They will resolve the cliffhanger in a trivial matter. The issue will resolve and things will be back to normal in the first act of the season premier.
>>
>>90190871
>But he's not a child rapist
he literally raped Morty in the first episode. and don't give me that "Its not rape because it wasn't his penis" bullshit, if you force something larger than a human penis into an adolescent's asshole, you are a child-rapist.
> In fact, he exploded one on-screen
Why yes, he is a huge hypocrite
>explicitly to show that there are some moral lines that even Rick won't cross.
Yes, but that didn't work because the retarded writers forgot Rick already raped Morty
>I doubt he's "casually genocidal" either
He destroyed 2 universes brimming with sentient life and never gave it another thought
>>90190820
he's not "somewhat decent" tho
>>
>>90191213
>So, April 24th right?

No fucking way. October at the earliest.
>>
File: AWW YEAH MOTHERFUCKER.jpg (177KB, 770x960px) Image search: [Google]
AWW YEAH MOTHERFUCKER.jpg
177KB, 770x960px
>>90191365
>>
>>90189617
Why the fuck was cob planet so "dangerous" anyway? Were they worried they'd get infected or something? Completely missed the "joke" there, desu
>>
>>90193052
At this point?
Meh
I'll get around to seeing it sometime I guess
>>
>>90193577
Imagine black widows on a cob. And apply that with every other little danger on life's little to inflict list.
>>
>>90193577
It wasn't.

That was, in fact, the joke.
>>
>>90193052
Nice troll
>>
>>90189138
you know that they didn't actually move the date because of a Pagan holiday right?

they moved it because of an ancient belief about prophets and how they supposedly died on the same day of the year that they were conceived on
>>
>>90193920
>
they moved it because of an ancient belief about prophets and how they supposedly died on the same day of the year that they were conceived on

Well that didn't work out for them either.
>>
Don't you guys find it really one-bit how many times Justin Roiland pitched the same raunchy Doc and Marty cartoon? Seriously there's like a dozen versions of this very basic idea and it makes me feel like Roiland is mostly fixated on the voice and doesn't have much to go with otherwise.
>>
>>90194559

Nice job there pal
>>
>>90189138
I'll take "things that most people already know and don't care about yet angsty teens quote" for 500 Alex.
>>
File: gorillaz.jpg (53KB, 386x479px) Image search: [Google]
gorillaz.jpg
53KB, 386x479px
Post speculation for S3 episodes.

>Rick and Morty find/make a bunch of new space drugs and Rick starts selling them in different situations while not getting caught. But he gets dicky and crosses some space mafia niggas and they hunt his ass to completion before they stumble upon something on earth that gets them super high and they let him go.

>A bunch of humans get pissed there's a bunch of aliens touring earth now that it's in the galactic federation. Humans resent the aliens for treating them like animals and they form anti alien societies. The aliens don't give a fuck and pretty much say that every new planet does this. They give the humans a fancy alien gadget, and the humans love and worship the aliens. Meanwhile, Rick can be making morty give aliens tours and making bank taking big shot famous aliens and showing them how to party on earth. One of the famous aliens OD's and rick shits his pants and solves the problem somehow.

i don't know. just typing some stupid shit.
>>
>>90194591
Yes
>>
>>90194591
I get attached to my ideas too. Execution is the most important thing anyways.
>>
>>90189138

Okay,binge watched this show couple days ago, time for some completely subjective opinion.

The show needs someone to sit on the showrunner. Normally I bitch about managers narrowing down things, but R&M needs it. The entire show is incoherent, rambling and unfocused. It basically feels like an extended pilot. In fact nothing really changed between the pilot and later seasons. Its also overwritter and tries painfully hard to be meta, constantly overselling jokes that would have been okay on their own.

I also, hate, hate HATE the fucking family. They are utterly contemptible and moronic and not in a funny way. Its not fucking entertainmant to see those smug morons bitch about their marriage.In fact, their marriage was saved like five times already but snapped back to the status quo. Fucking Peter Griffin is a well written and likeable character compared to Jerry. Same thing with Morty and the redheaded bitch. I dont want to see the main character put into the same repeating cringeworthy, banal, cliché situations about high school crushes in a show where they could be in a a dimension where seagulls are made of penises. In fact, he nearly scored her several times but got snapped back to the status quo.

Minor complaint but I also dislike Ricks burping. Its okay once or twice an episode as a gag but its way overplayed like most of the jokes.

And that hamfisted attempt at drama at the end of S2 was cringeworthy, just fucking why. I wanted to see mad science, not a family sitcom

That aside, I found the core concept and many of the jokes really good, even the visual design of aliens and stuff and all the alternate universe shenanigans. They have a literal blank check to play around with and they are wasting it on that stupid family. Hope S3 will be jus about t Rick and Morty(like in the fucking title) travelling between dimensions doing mad science shit.
>>
>>90190908
That's a myth though
>>
>>90189138
I too hate when people think they're being subversive by saying shit any 14 year old could have come up with.
>>
>>90196893
That was the point of the statements in OP if you didn't know.
>>
>Hasn't released anything hinting at a new season for a long ass time
>Fans getting sick of waiting and assuming show is dead
>lel lets rick roll them!!!111

Honestly not even worth paying attention anymore
>>
>>90197425
>I too
>too
>>
Rick is Cthulhu
>>
>>90195354
>>90189138

>being so edgy that you shit on an edgy show that actualys cuts through mindlessness in life that you proclame anyone who thinks is edgy is no as edgy as you

what is comedy really?

its social commentary, laughing and crying use the same msucles

the people with such violent reactions to Rick and morty are the ones who watch random shit in order to zone out and forget about life

they are not mentally ready to accept reality
>>
>>90197536
It's a really bad sign. I don't think it's coming back in any meaningful way.
>>
>>90191343
>he's literally butt-bothered by the seed-smuggling joke
Holy shit anon, you really are just the most fragile little porcelain angel.
>>
>>90198934
What? I was saying Rick is literally a canonical rapist. Do you actually have a response beside projecting your own butthurt?
>>
>>90197744
>Being this far up your own ass
>>
>>90189138
Reminder, the original writers got all fired because of a union thing and were replaced with Dan's personal friends, who are all SJWs.
>>
>>90189138
AIDS
>>
>>90199194
really? Source?
>>
>>90199307
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/artist-rights/rick-and-morty-co-creator-justin-roiland-fuck-the-union-103723.html
>>
>>90199429
WHAT THE FUCK?
Why isn't this a bigger story?
>>
>>90199307
I remember them talking about how female writers joined up with them for season 3. I won't link the usual clickbait suspects and their bullshit reasonings. Of course most think it's about being progressive, but the truth is probably, that there was a purge and they seek to replace writers.

Not sure what is going on behind the scenes, but fact is that they are desperate for writers, to the point of asking random strangers to join them.
http://heatst.com/entertainment/rick-morty-creator-offers-job-to-snl-writer-fired-for-mean-barron-trump-tweet/

Needless to say they have infightings because of it.
https://www.inverse.com/article/26880-why-is-rick-and-morty-season-3-delayed-update-premiere-date-dan-harmon-fighting-justin-roiland-adult-swim
The quality seems to be utter shit.
>>
It has some good moments but I hate the forced drama. I bet it's Harmon doing all that shit

>>90194591
Unmarketables is the best one
>>
>>90189138
Season 2 was a disappointment. It's like they suddenly decided that they had to be a "real show," so they scrambled for emotional depth and a backstory. Rick goes from being a drunk grandpa that still wants a place with his family to being a depressed nihilist with a dark past. Entire episodes are dedicated to Rick being a troubled individual, rather than his dickishness being a part of the black comedy. It's not like we're given the transition either, as characters like Birdperson have to dump exposition about Rick before his past comes into play.

Season 1 did well because it weaved everything into each other and it was all just for fun to the point that it's mentioned several times in the show. Season 2 awkwardly had them try to make it more than it was, and what we got was a half realized depression plot with shitty joke episodes like Get Shwifty and Look Who's Purging Now trying to balance it out.
>>
File: 1487826776442.jpg (67KB, 480x608px) Image search: [Google]
1487826776442.jpg
67KB, 480x608px
>>90200118
>>90200573

>Tfw the show could have been back to the future: in space but instead became "Guize my grandpa has vietnam flashbacks, so we keep him in the garage and also my family sucks" kinda shows that their are way too many people working on this show with no clear direction
>>
>>90200734
Did they even hop dimensions in Season 2 or was that just limited to the miniverse and the Jerry Asteroid
>>
File: 1473494304564.jpg (715KB, 2460x1500px) Image search: [Google]
1473494304564.jpg
715KB, 2460x1500px
>>90200775

I don't know exactly if it is limited to the miniverse, but that episode did make me realize that the have a wide open door to write themselves into any stupid bullshit and at the end of the season they can just say LEL DIFFERENT DIMENSION GUYS and retcon the entire season anytime the writers want, which makes the story even more disjointed and stupid
>>
>>90200118
>>90200734
This is what it would have been like without harmon:

https://vimeo.com/48994457
>>
>>90191343
>tho
>getting asshurt over a joke

I can see why this board is likened to Tumblr so much
>>
>>90191343
The jelly bean thing was explained in commentary. He didn't want to fuck morty, he wanted to lick his sweat.
>>
>>90201144
>Your argument gets annihilated
>Realize there is no actual response
>Scream tumblr so you can pretend you don't have to argue
>>
>>90201280
Yes, I am liTERALLY SCREAMING RIGHT NOW

How was that, my fellow Tumblrer?
>>
>>90201353
Ok, so you admit Rick is an objectively irredeemable and unsympathetic character? That point has been entirely ended, yes?
Now its about how noticing a detail about a show you like offends you?
>>
File: this post is bait.jpg (42KB, 600x678px) Image search: [Google]
this post is bait.jpg
42KB, 600x678px
>wubba lubby dub dub xDD!!!!!!

Why do people like this show again?
>>
>>90201428
I don't care about this argument, your mannerisms just screamed "I'm tumblr!"
>>
>>90201469
My "mannerisms" being noticing something about a show?
>>
>>90189332
>adult swim killing off one of their biggest shows

gr8 b8 m8
>>
>Justin roiland makes fun shit like house of cosbies and mister sprinkles
>Dan harmon makes nothing but reddit tier tv shows and is only doing this because he wants to bring back "muh community"
>>
>>90189267
Season 1 is pretty rewatchable, Rick's a lot more likable than he is now. Despite his recklessness he seems to be making an actual effort to be in his grandsons life and give him advice.
After the alternate council of Ricks episode he stopped being likable for me.
>>
>>90189531
http://i.imgur.com/6nbsxRs.jpg
>>
>>90189138
Hey guys, remember that time Rick and Morty went to visit Revese Giraffe?
>>
>>90201449
Because it triggers "muh reddit" faggots like yourself
>>
>>90189464
This. It ain't edgy if the BBC is pushing it.
>>
ITT: anons jealous another anon made it big and has his own tv show while they are stuck here jerking off over gay rocks
>>
>>90202015
Dan, get off reddit and hire some competent writers
>>
>>90198997
He's not a rapist. If you are actually stupid enough to think he is, then I don't know what to tell you.
>>
>>90202203
>Forced a minor to penetrate his anus under threat of death
>Not a rapist
Anon, you may be retarded
>>
>>90202113
Dan's not the 4channer, roiland is.
>>
File: 1439260436219.jpg (425KB, 1895x1068px) Image search: [Google]
1439260436219.jpg
425KB, 1895x1068px
DESPITE ALL MY RAGE I AM STILL JUST A RAT IN A CAGE
E.
S
P
I.
T
E.
A
L.
L
M
Y.
R.
A
G
E
I.
A
M
S
T.
I.
L
L
J.
U
S
T.
A
R.
A
T.
I.
N
A
C.
A
G.
E
>>
>>90202273
>Under threat of death
?
>>
>>90202351
>>90202273
Also, he told Morty to hide a seed in his butt. You can be cute with words all you want, but the bottom lol get it line is he's not a rapist.
>>
>>90202414
>>90202351
Morty would have been killed otherwise. and yes, he told him to hide the seed in his butt. which is why he is a rapist
>>
>>90202801
Killed by who?
Also telling someone to hide something in their butt is not rape. Especially if it's not for sexual gratification.
>>
>>90202284
That line isn't angsty or depressing though, which is the point. Life has no inherent meaning to it, it never did, and that's fine. Just move on from that and enjoy what you've got.
>>
It's like they were trying to appeal to me when I was 14, but came nearly a decade too late. I can't believe people around my age actually like this shit .
>>
>>90201144
this guy said >>90191343 is from tumblr

>>90190871
this guy said >>90191343 is a neo-nazi

/co/ is a pretty shit board 2bh
>>
>>90189138
Does this board like any cartoon?
>>
File: Talk like a fag.jpg (11KB, 263x191px) Image search: [Google]
Talk like a fag.jpg
11KB, 263x191px
OP seems to make the same mistake so many others make with all manner of fiction, being unable to differentiate between the voice of a character, and the voice of the authors.

Rick & Morty is a show about living in a nihilistic universe, and does often lampoon many established concepts and societal trends, but with few exceptions (the "Pluto is a planet thing", religion in general in "Get Schwifty") it doesn't land on the side Rick's philosophy. What it does do is highlight that held under the scope of nihilism, these elements of life don't have the established bedrock that supports them in a more traditional world view.

Rick reacts to this by taking a bleak, absurdist philosophy. None of it matters, everything is pointless. While this does grant him a self assured intellectual superiority, illustrated both literally in his ability to steamroll opposing viewpoints, and metaphorically in that he's an actual super scientist with an unstoppable intellect, this never actually makes him "right". Through his inability to find meaning or worth in the universe, he is left a shallow, depressed, and ultimately destructive individual. Even compared to the blithe ignorance of Jerry, who most often manages to improve himself or his life by the end of an episode, Rick is often an abject failure.

Morty is the closest thing to an authorial voice that the show has, a lens more of questions and uncertainty in the face of the collision of the mundane and the cosmically terrifying, than glib arrogance.
>>
>>90204257
Rick and Morty is fine by me
>>
>>90204552
The show theme is basically that: in the grand scale of things, you don't matter. So live for yourself and your loved ones and try to make being alive enjoyable.
>>
>>90202875
thats like saying its not murder if you like somebody
>>
>>90189138
But the third thing is literally true...
>>
>>90204552

I always feel weird about Jerry, as if there's some joke I'm just not getting.

I mean, the guy is an advertising dude. Is that some kind of dirty career, because they always make it sound like it is. There never seems to be much of a visible punchline involving him except for Jerry sucking, so it's funny when he fails, but they never really establish a reason for him sucking.
>>
>>90204025
>this guy said >>90191343 is a neo-nazi
>I can't read!
>>
>>90199429
Oh I think I'm getting the bigger picture now.

Roiland and Harmon are impossible to work with.
Staff tries to unionize.
Roiland fires everybody.
Doesn't deliver season on time.

Yeah, they're poison. Adult Swim is going to drop them ASAP. That explains the rick roll instead of actual advertising.

I think it's been mothballed at this point and Roiland and Harmon are too gutless to admit it. :D
>>
File: You.gif (415KB, 480x238px) Image search: [Google]
You.gif
415KB, 480x238px
>>90189155
>>
>>90206485
Just wanted to say the execution of that gif was A+
>>
>>90201610
Oh they'd air it....if they only could.

See the problem?
>>
>>90206993
No i dont. What are you trying to say?
>>
>>90195407
No, it isn't. If it were, Comedy Central wouldn't have shit canned them
>>
>>90189138
Internet backlash has reached the level where being a basic teenage Redditor atheist is actually a decent troll now I think
>>
>>90189138
I'm like 90% sure the "Thanksgiving is about killing aliens" line was satirizing people who think like that.

>>90189332
Show is too popular to just be killed off. It's one of the few things people associate with Adult Swim other than FOX reruns.
>>
>>90189294
Rick may be a douche but motherfucker is alpha as fuck.
>>
>>90189602
Those plotlines only existed because Harmon was projecting his own shitty marriage, and whoopdy doo, he got a divorce and another girlfriend right after the season ended.
Thread posts: 119
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.