[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Al Ewing is not a great writer

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 212
Thread images: 22

File: NEWAVN2015003_BurnhamVar.jpg (168KB, 658x1000px) Image search: [Google]
NEWAVN2015003_BurnhamVar.jpg
168KB, 658x1000px
Let's discuss Ewing, /co/.

A lot of people here feel like it's some sort of great injustice that Ewing's comics keep bombing over and over again despite their perceived quality, but are they really as great as /co/ makes them out to be?

Every writer was green and unknown at some point, until they produced some work that gave them wider exposure. For Alan Moore, it was Swamp Thing, for Grant Morrison, it was Animal Man, for Neil Gaiman, it was The Sandman, for Peter Milligan, it was Shade the Changing Man. Even recent writers follow this pattern, Geoff Johns and Green Lantern, Rick Remender and Uncanny X-Force, Ed Brubaker and Captain America, Matt Fraction and Hawkeye, etc.

And yet despite all this, I've yet to see Ewing's breakout hit, his works are good, yes, but only within the bubble that is superhero comics. They're just "good superhero comics", nothing terribly special. He hasn't produced anything that transcends the medium like Moore's Swamp Thing or anything with wide appeal like Fraction's Hawkeye, so is it really surprising that Ewing's comics do not sell?

TL;DR: Al Ewing is not as great as you make him out to be and won't be until he steps up his game.

And yes, I just put Moore and Fagtion in the same sentence, sue me
>>
You're attacking an opinion that doesn't really exist. I like Ewing because he's a solid cape writer with a good grasp of history and continuity which is more than you can say for most Big Two writers these days. Who the fuck has ever equated him with Alan Moore?

Also, comparing any of those newer writers to gods like Moore, Morrison, and Gaiman is fucking retarded. I mean Geoff Johns' Green Lantern, fucking really?

I'm sorry but this is just a bad thread all around.
>>
>>90187853
>Geoff Johns and JSA or Avengers
FTFY

But yea I agree, and think Johns, Brubaker, Fraction and Remender are the same, they just write good cape comics, though Remender and Brubaker have some amazing non cape books.
>>
>>90187853
His last issue of Mighty Avengers was extremely good. Check it out if you haven't read it. Just because a run isn't famous doesn't mean it's not good. I bet you'd say Jeff Parker isn't good either.
>>
>>90187853
Also, do you notice a trend with the runs you stated? You're comparing writers who's major work was decades ago and recent stuff that was overhype because of the characters who stared in them. If Deadpool and Wolverine weren't in Remender's X-Force run, I bet you it would have disappeared off everyone's radar in a heartbeat.
>>
I only read a couple of issues of Ewing's Ultimates and it struck me as someone trying to ape metaphysical writing of someone like Gaiman or Morrison, without really understanding it. Not unlike how Fraction came off in his Thor run. I didn't mind his character work as long as it was rooted down more.
>>
>>90188024
t. I can't read

Don't bother replying if you're not smart enough to do so, mongoloid.
>>
>>90188572
>assblasted OP detected
You literally started the thread by implying every poster reading it loves Al Ewing, so yea, you're arguing against an imaginary opinion.
>>
>>90188143
Please don't compare Parker to the guys he mentioned (except Johns). It makes you look dumb.
>>
>>90188634
If you had read the storytimes you'd know that "Ewing is a seriously underrated writer who deserves to sell more!!" isn't an unpopular opinion around here.
>>
File: this will be bad.jpg (32KB, 493x342px) Image search: [Google]
this will be bad.jpg
32KB, 493x342px
>>90187853

There is a reason I've been doing this for two years:

>Ewing
>>
>>90188693
So? That doesn't justify your leap to thinking that people consider him to be as good as Moore and Morrison. People want him to sell more because he's one of the few writers at Marvel who doesn't just use the comic as a horrible soapbox. Liking a writer doesn't mean everyone thinks he's the GOAT. Your thread is fucking retarded.
>>
>>90188799
>your leap to thinking that people consider him to be as good as Moore and Morrison
I never said that, learn to read please.
>>
>>90187853
He really is not a great writer, and his books sell about what they should sell.

I have yet to see what is good in USAvengers.
>>
>>90188841
You're saying that if he's any good, he'll have a breakout comic on the level of Moore and Morrison, which is retarded, because even fucking Bendis had a breakout comic.
>>
>>90187853
Alright writer but uses too many minorities to the point the boook boombs.
>>
Ewing's masterpiece is Loki Agent of Asgard.
Everything else he's done can go into the gutter.
>>
Ewing is a solid writer content to have fun with comic book superheroes.

He doesn't have to be a forgotten messiah or satan incarnate.

Ultimates is fun and benefits from strong art by Travel Foreman. It's occupying a niche for the 'widescreen' comics of the early 00's that Stormwatch and the Authority filled and that Mark Millar bought to Marvel with the original Ultimates run.

Meanwhile Bryan Hitch is doing a justice league comic that no one seems to give a shit about.
>>
>>90188903
Nah those were editorial demands that he turned into good books rather than [UNSOLICITED OPINIONS ON ISRAEL]
>>
>>90188903
>uses too many minorities

Because remember, you can do anything in comic books, except include more than two non-white characters.
>>
>>90188888
Yes? Hate him all you want but at least Bendis built a fanbase for himself, as retarded as that fanbase may be. Ewing hasn't managed to do so, which is a testament to how flavorless and bland his comics are.
>>
>>90188903
I doubt it has anything to do with minorities. If anything it's him avoiding popular characters like the plague.
>>
>>90188923
>Meanwhile Bryan Hitch is doing a justice league comic that no one seems to give a shit about.
And sells about five times more.

Anyway, nobody fucking believes that Hitch is a great writer or anything like that.
>>
>>90188933
Guy legitimately has a fetish for black men though, it's clear from his dialogue.
>>
USAvengers could literally be written by an eveyday writer like Jurgens, nobody would give a fuck.

But is Ewing, the savior, so it is excellent by default.
>>
>>90188963
>how flavorless and bland his comics are.

Ultimates is almost nothing but grandiose and amazing moments that have huge philosophical implications.

The tragedy is that it doesn't always read well issue-to-issue because the characters' exact motivations can feel mercurial, and some character float in and out of focus for too long.

Carol talking to T'Challa in a diner while they're both in disguise is an amazingly well written character moment, immediately interrupted by Anti-Man butting in.

Blue Marvel and Monica Rambeu discussing that she no longer needs to eat or sleep because she can turn into light and the implications of that about her senses and even her humanity are left as tantalizing details.

But because nothing is centered the story sputters.
>>
>>90188745
Why do you do this, Ewing-hatefam? I've seen you post this so many times.
>>
>>90188993

Justice League has all the Rebirth momentum, Ultimates is buried by Marvel's confusing renaming and relaunching structure.
>>
>>90189130
His name is Bitch Ewing, get it right.
>>
File: triggered_by_mrlorgin-d9aahmc.png (116KB, 320x371px) Image search: [Google]
triggered_by_mrlorgin-d9aahmc.png
116KB, 320x371px
>>90189106
>huge philosophical implications.
This is why cape readers are considered retarded.
>>
>>90187853
People like him because he's one of the only writers at Marvel that cares.

He cares enough about the characters and their world to try to do them justice.
Hawkeye feels like Hawkeye. Squirrel Girl feels like Squirrel Girl.

Part of why I wish he was more popular is because I want this approach to be more popular.
I just want Marvel to give a shit.
>>
>>90189106
>amazing moments that have huge philosophical implications.
hahahaha
>>
>>90188933
>>90188947
>>90188987

Minorities in general = sales down. Not my fault most people even so called non racists avoid them.

Most people are clannish and what to relate to sonething that looks like themselves.
>>
>>90187853
what are the comics from DC and Marvel that Ewing has written?
>>
äüü
>>
>>90188657
I wasn't comparing, but he is a good writer but doesn't have an overblown memorable work
>>
>>90189176
>>90189399

Well pardon me for thinking it's fun when Master Order eats Lord Chaos and they become Logos, a terrifying new cosmic threat and clever allegory for the tension between editors and readers in regards to continuity in superhero comics.

What comics am I supposed to like?
>>
>>90187853
OP you're a fag lol
>>
>>90189468
Like whatever you want, but not even Ewing's mother would agree with "huge philosophical implications".
>>
>>90189592

Cape comics are all about hyperbole.

GALACTUS, THE WORLD EATER HAS NOW BECOME GALACTUS THE LIFE BRINGER!!!!
>>
File: 1360559529046.png (218KB, 391x698px) Image search: [Google]
1360559529046.png
218KB, 391x698px
>>90187853
>I've yet to see Ewing's breakout hit, his works are good, yes, but only within the bubble that is superhero comics. They're just "good superhero comics", nothing terribly special.
>Geoff Johns and Green Lantern, Rick Remender and Uncanny X-Force, Ed Brubaker and Captain America, Matt Fraction and Hawkeye
>>
File: R U D E.jpg (39KB, 210x286px) Image search: [Google]
R U D E.jpg
39KB, 210x286px
>>90188572
>>
>>90189750
Listen mate, I'm not saying those comics were masterpieces or anything, but they clearly did something right that made them breakout hits. Ewing has yet to do that.
>>
>>90189750
OP is right. Evey one of these works is better than THE LIFE BRINGER!!!
>>
>>90189130
He never provides an answer. The reason is memetics. Or at best "I don't like his face".
>>
ITT OP starts a thread to respond to the strawman posts he created months ago.
>>
File: 1440060562046.jpg (834KB, 1988x2748px) Image search: [Google]
1440060562046.jpg
834KB, 1988x2748px
>>90188915
>Ewing's masterpiece is Loki Agent of Asgard.
Yes.
>Everything else he's done can go into the gutter.
"No."
>>
I've only read his team comics, which he seems to do in abundant nowadays. They have only been decent to good and Johns tier. I need to see more of his solo comics to form a proper opinion.
>>
Someone has yet to say what USAvengers has that makes it stand out.

Sure as hell isn't the art.
Sure as hell isn't the characters.
Sure as hell isn't the plot.
>>
>>90189049
I'm finding USAvengers pretty meh desu. same With New Avengers (although that did have a collection of undeniable moments by the end).
>>
>>90189791
So the criteria for greatness is entirely monetary now?
I mean, that makes perfect sense, I agree. But the OP's arguing pure [TRANSCENDENCE] which muddles the context.
>>90189795
Oh hey, it's you!
Read some Galactus comics since last time?
>>
I like Ewing's work but I think the climate has changed too much for him to produce a so called "breakout hit". I'm not sure why you're attacking him. His comics are among the few still worth reading when it comes to Marvel.
>>
>>90190105
Because if something's not amazing, then it doesn't deserve praise.

I guess.
>>
>>90189411
Not Ewing's fault editorial pushes them so hard either
>>
>>90188963
Wait so now having sales has nothing to do with quality? Make up your mind here chief.
>>
>>90187853
t. Jealous dcbitch

Ewing shits on any writer working at DC right now.
>>
>>90190168
It's 100% Ewing's own doing.
No way did editorial push White Tiger, Blue Marvel, Power Man, or Monica on him.

He just likes who he likes, which is heavily motivated by the Marvel books he like growing up in the 80's.
>>
>>90190207
I like Al as much as the next guy, but let's not turn this into company wars bullshit.
>>
>>90189411
>most comic readers look like Batman
>>
>>90187853
He gets it. Simple as.
He gets that comics should be fun. He gets that comics should be epic. He gets that comics can do things as a medium others can't. He gets that continuity is one of Marvel's major strengths, but also gets that change & development & forward momentum used to be too. Plus he sees potential in everything; the shit he's pulled off with bare bones basic literally whos like Blue Marvel or Power Man II or White Tiger XVII is insane. I've yet to see him write off a character as useless or worthy of derision, like so many other continuityfags have.
He's the EiC Marvel needs but doesn't deserve tbqh.

nb; I don't bitch about his sales figures or saltily compare him to other writers, so maybe I'm not even the intended audience for this post. I just enjoy his comics. A lot more than I do any other modern capeshit writer.
>>
>>90190002
>now?
No because some of those aren't even huge sellers. They wowed critics and comic book readers and have become memorable runs that are still talked about many years later.
>>
>>90190164
His fans pretend like his comics are amazing though not just "OK"
>>
>>90190207
Marvel's continuity is far more closely-knit, even if he knows & cares as much about DC continuity I don't know if he'd be as effective there.
>>
>>90190409
...And?
I just don't see why you or anyone else would care.
>>
>>90190256
It's just the truth, my friend.
>>
>>90190381
So basically wait until Ultimates is a few years older is what you're saying?
>>
>>90190207
>Ewing shitting on Priest, Yang or Russell
Yeah, nah
>>
>>90190441
>>90190207
:^)
>>
>>90190453
Even the My Chemical Romance guy is a better writer. AND a more successful one.
>>
>>90190323
>He gets that comics should be fun
Comics shouldn't be anything. It's a big medium and there are a million different stories you can tell. Books, music, movies, comics, video games etc DON'T have to be a certain thing, that's retarded. You're just selfish and want to be pandered to 24/7.
>>
>>90190469
Don't make me laugh.
>>
>>90190105

Tom King has managed to reach acclaim in the recent climate, so I don't think that's the problem.
>>
>>90190501
His two comics are selling 20k and 12kk, that's not success and he's not as good a writer as Ewing.
>>
>>90190581
Through his one Marvel comic.
>>
>>90190563
>Priest can send a relevant message about urban violence using comics in the current political climate
>Ewing just shits retarded cosmic concepts and masturbate to chronology.

Yeah, Ewing is clearly the best one.
>>
>>90190610
>What is "The Umbrella Academy"?
>>
>>90190637
Priest has written one great comic his entire career and is now working on a horrible character, he has no sense of pace and his dialogue is ass.
>>
>>90190279
Most whites want to read about whites. Sales suggest so.

We live in the same world where black people action figures rarely sell well.
>>
>>90190535
I agree. That's why I consistently buy the epic one instead. :^)
>>
>>90190637
Where did Lifebringer touch you anon?
>>
>>90190675
And he still is better than Ewing in all these things listed by you.

How much of a retarded do you have to be to think EWING is a master of literature?
>>
>>90189411
>>90190689
Jared pls
>>
>>90190758
I don't much care for literature. I'd rather read a good comic.
>>
>>90190675
So Priest is writing a great book with a horrible character. while Ewing can't with an essemble of his favourites. Ewing must be really shit then.
>>
>>90190758
Don't have to be a master of literature to be better than the lot you listed.
>>
>>90190799
No wonder you love Ewing so much, illiterate fuck.

This is the average Ewing fan, folks.
>>
>>90190775
You must not live in reality.

Black barbie is a poor seller. White countries have white faviorism.
>>
>>90190628
Exactly. So Ewing should be able to have a breakout hit as well.
>>
>>90187853
The reason he got popular was that he was one of the few writers at Marvel doing the stuff Marvel comics are supposed to do, like paying attention to continuity and the way the characters have behaved in other comics. Things that writers of the post-Bendis generation basically feel they're too good for.

Mighty Avengers was the Avengers comic that felt the most like what a "real" Avengers comic should be. That doesn't make it great, necessarily, it just means the big Avengers writers weren't doing that.

I don't think he's done something yet that really qualifies as one of the all-time great Marvel runs, but there's still time to do that, especially if the "back to basics" revamp allows him to do stories with more emotional resonance.

Comparing him to Vertigo and indie writers is a bit unfair. The real comparison is to other meat-and-potatoes superhero comics. By that comparison he's doing good, not great, at a time when few writers are even good.
>>
>>90190840
t. someone who doesn't realize literature and comics are different.
I mean nothing will ever compare when judged against a metric it isn't.
>>
File: 2.jpg (12KB, 385x335px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
12KB, 385x335px
>>90190840
congratulations
you failed the litmus test
go back to shitposting on your own board
>>
>>90190813
Seriously: what is your major malfunction anon?
We're here for you.
>>
>>90190907
>popular
With select posters on /co/. Ewing does cancellation numbers and that's all he'll ever do, especially after the embarrassing drop between US Avengers 1 and 2.
>>
>>90190851
I live in one where fictional characters are entertaining for reasons other than what color they are. Novel, innit?
>>
>>90191144
>This is the punctuation use of your average Ewing fan.
>>
>>90187853
there is a loud minority here that shills ewing
however, the truth is, ewing SUCKS
>>
>>90191215
Which doesn't sell in reality hence every book he has is axed.

Even old fiction had mostly white characters, which sold.
>>
>>90191215
It's entirely accurate to say that despite not necessarily having animosity for black people, the idea of watching a black movie or television show or a reading a black book appeals to very few white people in the US. Even liberal, progressive Hollywood acknowledges this, knowing full well that having too many black persons in a cast will turn it into a "black movie" and reduced turn-out. Black Panther's going to be an interesting experiment, and it's definitely a calculated risk, that's why it's coming after so many other successful predominately white cape movies.
>>
>>90190907
>Comparing him to Vertigo and indie writers is a bit unfair. The real comparison is to other meat-and-potatoes superhero comics.
This desu
I fucking love the madman but never have I called him the next coming of Moore. No shit, he ain't. He's too busy having fun. Low and behold, that attitude's endearing.
Although hey if being the only current Marvel writer with and oldschool Marvel mindset can get certain forgotten practice's foot back in the door he could have one hell of an impact.
>>
What books has he done? I've never heard of him
>>
File: 1470727249490.jpg (114KB, 508x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1470727249490.jpg
114KB, 508x1024px
>>90191244
Shhhhhhh. It's okay. Use your words.
>>
>>90191318
You say this but didn't 12 years a slave win a lot of awards?
>>
>>90190441
I doubt anyone will ever talk about shitmates.
It was a short crappy book that was disrupted by a crappy event
>>
>>90191301
>Even old fiction had mostly white characters
No shit?
>>
>>90191423
sorry, was meant to >>90190461
`
>>
>>90191420
Liberal, progressive people love giving liberal progressive things awards. Here's the numbers
>Production Budget: $20 million
>Domestic Total Gross: $56,671,993
Most white people: No thanks.
>>
>>90190610
ewing's recent book dropped from 90k to 20k. let's wait next month and see it go under 18k. because it's crap, like everything that ewing did
>>
File: 1420464386198.jpg (20KB, 420x300px) Image search: [Google]
1420464386198.jpg
20KB, 420x300px
>>90191423
>>90191423
I disagree with you entirely.
But that's okay.
>>
>>90190675
At least Priest has written a Great Comic.
Ewing so far didn't have any great comic in his carrer
>>
>>90187853
Ewing is kind of a hit or miss for me. Like his Ultimates, don't care so much for USAvengers. Think he would be better and go full on cosmic weirdness, like give him Silver Surfer. He couldn't possibly make him worse than Slott has.
>>
>>90191501
I like many obscure shit, but I'm not delusional that it ever will be great.
Btw, your post sort of reminded me to get Little Tulip (by Boucq)
>>
>>90191437
Still the norm.
>>
>>90191497
See, you keep throwing out evocative insults like he did you personal injustice. But without any actual attempt to elaborate on why he's so clearly awful these posts start smelling shitty.
>>
>>90191609
Just to clarify: you're talking with two different guys (me being one of them).
>>
>>90191609
Ewing is awful, because he uses too much "wink wink" instead of having an actual story. Another thing, his stories are not entertaining, because they have no tension, no captivating plot. And let's not get started on his views.

All in all, when reading a Ewing book, one can feel like reading a neutered safe marvel comic that isn't really that different from anything that marvel produces these days. It's really weird, especially when you compare his works to somewhat "all-ages" stuff like both original Power Pack and Guruhiru version, which were more mature, entertaining and cleverly written.

Satisfied?
>>
File: jean.jpg (45KB, 398x312px) Image search: [Google]
jean.jpg
45KB, 398x312px
While I haven't read much of Ewing, and what I have read hasn't really impressed me much, I do like that's he's the kind of writer who likes to rebuild toys, not break them. Take for example Angela Del Toro, killed and brought back as a vessel for the Hand. Ewing could have easily leave her like she was or even kill her off permanently since we already had a new White Tiger, but instead he decided to fix her and even maker fight side to side with her successor. That's actually pretty commendable.

Me, I'd be a somewhat more vindictive writer if I were in his position. I guess it's like that one Hush quote: deep down, he's a good person, and deep down, I'm not.
>>
File: 1440888624281.jpg (33KB, 449x437px) Image search: [Google]
1440888624281.jpg
33KB, 449x437px
>>90191697
How is exploring the new cosmic hierarchy of a broken and barely reforming universe not a story?
>>
>>90191847
your post basically confirms what I'm saying.
it's not a story. it's trying too hard
>>
>>90190610
Umbrella Academy and Doom Patrol (at only 4 issues) are both better than anything Ewing has been involved in. Better plot, better characterization, better storytelling, better dialogue...

Way is a better writer than Ewing and it's not close. So is King, Priest, Russell, Ellis, Yang, Scioli, and even Johns.
>>
>>90191874
How is that not a story?
>>
>>90191874
>it's not a story. it's trying too hard
Anon, how is it not a story? Is it becasue it's not exclusively character driven?
>>
>>90191874
>it's not a story because I think it's "trying too hard"

That's not how that works, son.
>>
>>90191566
Your firm belief that only popular things are great is genuinely baffling.
>>
>>90191697
>he uses too much "wink wink" instead of having an actual story

Yep, that's pretty much what I got from reading his stuff. The worst was when he brought over the Beyond Corporation from Nextwave and had them do literally fuck all.
>>
>>90191900
>>90191919
for it to be story, it would need some characterization, some actual plot, rather than PREMISE. For starters. But it's hard to do that, if you throw everything in one place and hope that something sticks
>>
>>90191984
My firm belief is that you are illiterate
>>
>>90190207
shut your whore mouth and take what you said about Giffen.
>>
>>90192000
>characterization
Galactus?
>some actual plot
It does have a plot, Galactus is trying to save Eternity while Order and Chaos are trying to regain the power they once had to make everything the way it was before.
>>
>>90192103
I feel asleep while reading your post. That's how boring it sounds
>>
>>90191697
It's something to work with at least. Thank you.
>because he uses too much "wink wink" instead of having an actual story.
Define "actual story". All of his work has it's own narrative, you don't need 40+ years of trivia to enjoy any of it. It's just a bonus.
>Another thing, his stories are not entertaining, because they have no tension, no captivating plot.
Loki? Mighty Avengers? Even that Age of Ultron one-shot? Modern cape comics in general lack tension, if anything I'd say he's got a good track record of making things feel important and change feel possible.
>And let's not get started on his views.
I won't make assumptions since you were nice enough to level but please tell me this entire grudge isn't founded on fucking political differences.

I've read all those Power Pack minis too and can't disagree more, they were bland as can be with the occasional cute Katie quip. Maybe if you gave some examples of Marvel comics that aren't neutered & safe, to give as clearer picture? Because I'm seeing a worrrrrrrrld of fucking difference between what he's doing and just about everything else they're putting out, be it Avengers or GotG or Hellcat.
>>
>>90192000
But all the involved participants have a characterization, even Galactus has a characterization now when before he was seldom used as anything other than a big cosmic menace.

> The devourer of words has to fight against the status quo the new universe is trying to drag him back to and the Ultimates are looking for answers as signs keep pointing out to a new cosmic menace that they need to prepare
How is that not a plot? I am genuinely curious. Anon, I don't think you know how stories work and you genuinely seem to believe it's not a story becasue it's not 100% character driven.
>>
>>90192156
Well, as someone who's always liked Marvel's Cosmic heirarchy and enjoyed Multiversity, I did it quite interesting.
>>
File: 1405476793554.png (206KB, 420x431px) Image search: [Google]
1405476793554.png
206KB, 420x431px
>>90192156
But was it a plot? That's what we're trying to discuss here, anon.
>>
>>90192195
>All of his work has it's own narrative, you don't need 40+ years of trivia to enjoy any of it.
Too bad that he relies only on trivia and obscure knowledge. Also, giant monsters.

>Loki? Mighty Avengers? Even that Age of Ultron one-shot? Modern cape comics in general lack tension, if anything I'd say he's got a good track record of making things feel important and change feel possible.
That's why he is not better than your average marvel writer. Thank you.

Currently most marvel comic books are neutered and safe, that's why I think that ewing sucks, and I should add, like every other current marvel writer. Maybe it has something to do with Disney?
>>
>>90192272
nope, it was let's go from point A to point B, because that's kewl and continuity freaks will love it.
>>
>>90192219
Yes. Ewing's the first writer since Starlin to remember Lee/Kirby Galactus had a personality, and actually IS the fucking first writer to give Order & Chaos personalities at all. Not even Stalin bothered, and he made them.
He's got you pretty staggered OP. Your rebuttal?
>>
>>90192326
>OP
Man, I haven't been here in hours. My last post was >>90188963
>>
>>90192369
Sure you weren't
>>
File: 2.jpg (44KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
44KB, 500x500px
>>90192274
>quote line spelling out how he's better w/ examples
>"that's why he is not better"
You SURE you're not shitposting, sir?
>>
>>90192406
desu I don't care if some rando in 4chan doesn't believe me
Ewing is still overrated btw
>>
>>90192369
>Ewing
>flavorless and bland
And Bendis never repeats words.
Seriously what is this shit? 'Splain yourself. He's the only one WITH any flavor.
>>
>>90192312
>interrelated sequence.
I don't know about you but what you just mentioned sounds just like that
>>
>>90192456
Who exactly is deservedly-rated these days? Give us some context.
>>
>>90192326
Ewing should do fantastic four.
>>
File: Fantastic Four (1961) 333-13.jpg (165KB, 429x639px) Image search: [Google]
Fantastic Four (1961) 333-13.jpg
165KB, 429x639px
>>90192552
I've been readin' a lot of FF lately. Kinda agree.
No point bringing them back if they're gonna keep on never changing though. We've seen all the good that's done for them these past few decades.
>>
>>90189855
Is The Tenth Realm worth reading for the Loki series?
>>
You're the same idiot who made the batman/spider-man thread earlier right?

What's wrong with you buddy? No friends?
>>
>>90192610
They can easily use maker and doom with the thing and torch.

Let reed and sue stay with franklin.
>>
>>90192613
Meh.
I don't think anything particularly important to Loki's own comic happens. Other than the fact it's a Thor team-up, which may make certain event fallout extra hard-hitting.

Has a badass Thor scene that I 'member even now, having not read it since release.
>>
File: I wanna.jpg (130KB, 413x884px) Image search: [Google]
I wanna.jpg
130KB, 413x884px
>>90192681
...Damn that'd work, actually.
You'd need them to drop by Reed & Sue first imo. Get their blessing. Confirm they haven't just been forgotten about.
>>
>>90192681
I dunno.

As much as I enjoyed New Avengers, his Maker left a lot to be desired.
And what Bendis is doing to Doom...
>>
>>90192874
As long as the "Let reed and sue stay with franklin" part stays I'm game.
Shit throw a girl in there.
>>
>>90192649
>the batman/spider-man thread earlier
The what now?
>>
>>90192681

can't have 4 white dudes.
>>
>>90187853
I always had a problem with him ebcause he annoucned he was boycotting Marvel and then 2 months later he was working for him. lost a lot of credibility in my eyes and he came off as a hypocrite. Then I decided to give Mighty Avengers and Loki a try and was bored fast. He might be a decent writer but nothing more and his continuity porn doesn't interest me. He also comes across as very unintelligent.
>>
>>90192973
>him ebcause he annoucned he was boycotting Marvel
Source?
>>
>>90192041
Time has not been kind to Giffen...
>>
>>90192955
Doom isnt really white. Things a jew.

Post fall marvel is moving away from this sjw stuff.
>>
>>90193073

Yeah I've never heard that before. Then again I didn't really know anything about him before he started writing for Marvel.
>>
>>90192973
I think you're confusing Ewing with Kot.
>>
>>90192456
>>90192521
Judging by this thread I'd characterize Ewing as a cult writer. His fans are quite loyal to his work but it's clearly not for everybody and the mainstream doesn't seem to care for it.
>>
>>90188024
>I mean Geoff Johns' Green Lantern, fucking really?

Geoff John's JSA run should be recognised for being fucking outstanding. He is one of the God tier writers.
>>
>>90193073
I wish people would stop assuming everyone has sauces at hand, especially when talking about something that happened several years ago, I know he even tweeted about how he won't The Avengers movie but then he got hired by Marvel and saw the movie and liked it. Same thing happen with Kot around the same time, he was boycotting marvel and then he got hired by them.
>>
I don't know if the current atmosphere at Marvel allows anyone to write a great run anymore, King's Vision excluded.

New Avengers/U.S.Avengers is generic definitely. Ultimates started out great, mostly because how well the art complimented the story, and became less great to the point that it's just okay now. I think Ewing is a step above a lot of other writers at Marvel but he's yet to do anything particularly interesting or make any significant choices as a writer.

He's kinda a Waid type, talented enough to helm a book without causing problems, though even Waid has written better stuff than Ewing.
>>
>>90193449
King's Vision was not that good man...
>>
>>90193383
I loved his JSA but let's face facts, GL is what he'll always be remembered for.
>>
>>90193426
I'm just saying because I tried googling it and this thread is one of the first results
>>
>>90193466
It made me feel things which is more than I can say about any other current Marvel comic.
>>
File: 1095191.jpg (121KB, 600x942px) Image search: [Google]
1095191.jpg
121KB, 600x942px
>>90193449
Waid created the Speed Force and the Flash Legacy (in the future, that is, the legacy aspect obviously existed since Barry Allen). Hate it or love it, the former is a staple of Flash media to this day and the legacy aspect has become so ingrained in the character it was a major part of the Rebirth one-shot.

I've yet to see Ewing come up with something like that. I think another problem is that his runs are too short, although I don't know if this is his fault or Marvel's.
>>
>>90193543
This is true. Waid WAS great at one point. Now he's just good.
>>
File: Stargirl.jpg (186KB, 736x1353px) Image search: [Google]
Stargirl.jpg
186KB, 736x1353px
>>90193484

Respectfully, I disagree.

Also, Cyclone.
>>
>>90193521
>It made me feel things
And this is my biggest criticism for it. I already knew what it was going to be about when it was announced, it was just another "Vision has a family and it blow up in his face and you're supposed to be sad...again" plot and it was yet another "but robots have feelings too" plot which seems like the only robot stories you can tell, eh? I couldn't feel shit because I knew what was going to happen and at first it was cool because the characters seemed very cold and robotic but then it emotionally manipulated the audience into feeling sorry for him. Not to mention that everything felt forced so that we could reach the moment where we could say "muhh feels".
>>
Marvel isn't very conducive to cultivating great writers or runs anymore. I don't think they care either. It's just about synergy and events, though hopefully they learned a lesson with Civil War 2.
>>
>>90193566
Champions is bad and his ideas about Superman have become even dumber.
>>
>>90193543
the speed force was a mistake.
>>
>>90193426
If you say some inflammatory shit like that you have to back it up, it's called the burden of proof.
>>
>>90193761
The absence of evidence is not evidence of absence. I gave you a time frame, told you he tweeted so go look for it yourself. Not my fault you don't know shit about your favorite writer.
>>
>>90193672
Champions is definitely bad but his regular Avengers comic is pretty good, though that might all change once Del Mundo leaves.
>>
>>90193657
Marvel's synergy is really overstated.
>>
>>90193827
Making a claim you can't immediately backup is pretty retarded, Anon.
>>
>>90193827
The only remotely boycott-related thing he's tweeted is this https://twitter.com/Al_Ewing/status/321766123408326657
>>
File: Ultimates 2 (2016-) 001-015.jpg (193KB, 1517x776px) Image search: [Google]
Ultimates 2 (2016-) 001-015.jpg
193KB, 1517x776px
You know you suck when pic related is the only thing the reader remembers from your Ultimates.
>>
File: 1467400153031.jpg (103KB, 400x614px) Image search: [Google]
1467400153031.jpg
103KB, 400x614px
>>90187853
Personally I feel more writers need to be like Ewing. As you said he's a decent cape writer and right now we're kind of hurting for that. I mean did you read Civil War 2? Jesus tap dancing Christ what a piece of shit! Ewing and all the other writers pretty much had to do damage control the entire event. And Marvel continues to celebrate Bendis as "One of our best talents!"
I guess what I'm saying is, you don't like Ewing, fine. But there must be a writer at Marvel more worthy of your ire than him. It's not that hard to find one. I mean they gave the concept of Doom as Iron Man to Bendis, a premise that practically writes itself, and I can't be bothered to give a shit. Meanwhile Ewing takes Squirrel Girl, two new Mutants, and a handful of unknowns and writes a book with the unironic title of USAvengers and I fucking love it! Save the "Graphic Novels Elitism" for the Eisner Awards just give me fun comics!

>>90190637
Not every comic writer wants to do political allegory. And on that note not every comic should do political allegory. I'm looking at you Waid.
Now I'm not sure how well Ewing WOULD do at political allegory, but I know he seems to prefer writing arc-based character driven stuff. And he's good at it, so why rock the boat?
>>
>>90194014
>Ewing knows he sucks because some anonymous faggot's attention wasn't held

weak b8 m8
>>
>>90194014
Hehehe, Clark Kent Black Panther.
>>
>>90194045
Ewing puts political crap into his books all the time. One of the funniest and best times he did it was when he had that not-Judge Dredd use that Cameron quote ("For too long, we have been a passively tolerant society, saying to our citizens 'as long as you obey the law, we will leave you alone'") in his Captain Britain and the Mighty Defenders.
>>
>>90189396
>People like him because he's one of the only writers at Marvel that cares.
I mean, fuck, he was the ONLY writer in all of Marvel to have a character be angry about Avengers Arena (it was White Tiger in Mighty Avengers). That's how bad it's gotten now. Everyone crosses over, but they don't read what's happening!
>>
Here's a thing about Al Ewing. He admitted not knowing much about Songbird going into New Avengers, as Brevoort suggested her on the team, and yet she was completely in character and even referenced great easter eggs like Avengers Forever. That's astonishing at the current shitshow of Marvel, where most of these writers are getting their knowledge from the MCU.
>>
File: image_0.jpg (57KB, 640x640px) Image search: [Google]
image_0.jpg
57KB, 640x640px
>>90187853
8/10. Next time show more work.
>>
>>90190581
Vision fucking bombed sales-wise, tho.

Whenever anyone says Ewing is good, the answer is his sales aren't good enough. Whenever anyone says sales don't matter if the comic is good, the answer is Ewing writes bad comics.

If you don't like Ewing, that's fine, but this thread is just a (You) factory for OP to shitpost.
>>
>>90193923
You didn't back up the fact that he didn't boycott Marvel before getting hired either, anon.
>>
>>90194295
>>90194380
Got you to respond though, didn't it? Also, funny how easily you dismiss my point of view as shitposting, like I'm not allowed to find Ewing overrated, proving me right.
>>
>>90187853
All you are doing is comparing him to stuff from the past. You fail to actually talk about any flaws or say what's wrong other than "he hasn't wrote something that will be remembered forever". Also, sales have little to do with quality, just look at Spiderman. If he was writing an A-list book it would sell much better than most other writers.

The fact remains that he is still has some of the best books that are going on right now and there's not much more that needs to be said
>>
>>90194392
I didn't make a claim, how do I prove he DIDN'T say something? Just by not being able to find it?
>>
>>90194519
>If he was writing an A-list book it would sell much better than most other writers.
Nothing's more A-list than a US Avengers #1 that sells over hundred thousand copies only to immediately drop down into near-cancellation.
>>
>>90194556
You not being able to find it doesn't mean it doesn't exist. Especially if you didn't even look.
>>
>>90194583
>US Avengers #1
A team of literally who's (for casuals), Squirrel Girl, and Red Hulk that only sold so much because of the variants.
>>
>>90194601
>You not being able to find it doesn't mean it doesn't exist
This is my point, though, how do I prove he something doesn't exist/wasn't said/didn't happen etc. when it could just be that I can't find it? It's up to whoever said X *does* exist to prove it.
>>
>>90187853
I like Ewing for two reasons, he wrote the best Loki ever and The Ultimates (his first volume) were actually great even through events, terrible art and editorial fuckabout tried to ruin it. But he's not some kind of comic messiah.
>>
>>90194481
Maybe that has something to do with your attempts to elaborate all being bare-faced lies. Or the evidence you have been provided with in good faith going similarly dismissed, if not just ignored. Or the fact that you just can't seem to help falling back on trolling101 every time anons stop reacting and the thread starts slowing.
I don't know what happened to make you so desperate for attention but the facade wore itself out about 100 posts ago. Enjoy your Friday night.
>>
>>90192683
It had Loki be a girl, so that was something.
>>
>>90193521
He created a bunch of characters just to trash them to give Vision mechanical manpain. The story was well-crafted, but overall trite.
>>
>>90195002
I have no idea what you're talking about, like I said before, this was my last post >>90188963
And no, I don't care if you believe me, but don't attack me with baseless accusations just because I dared to say something mean about your favorite writer.
>>
>>90192552
On one side, I think he deserves to work on a major title (don't laugh! FF used to be that decades ago)
On the other side, Ewing is one of the only writers who want to use D-listers like Sunspot or Blue Marvel. So I don't want to waste him on a team of iconic characters.
At least if they gave him the main X-book, he could make it full of New Mutants, Gen X and New X-Men characters.
>>
>CTRL+F "fatal frontier"
>0 results
Utter casuals
He wrote the best Iron Man book of the decade, not to mention it's a great book by itself.
>>
>>90195709
Are you sure you should be pointing out that post as yours, anon? Because a post that makes a claim as retarded as to imply that a writer's fanbase is a factor that defines the quality of his writing is something I wouldn't want associated with me.
>>
>>90187853
I feel like Ewing would be better if he only worked on book. I felt like each month one of his books had suffer so the others could be decent.
>>
>>90196067
>imply that a writer's fanbase is a factor that defines the quality of his writing
Boy, people here have some serious problems with reading comprehension, don't they? I never said Bendis comics being popular = being good, but it's clear he managed to carve a niche within Marvel's fanbase for himself, probably thanks to his gimmicky dialogue. Ewing has nothing I would call uniquely "Ewing", his dialogue is boring, his plots are terribly dated, his narration is nothing special.

Saying "but it's good!!" isn't a rebuttal to my accusation that Ewing's writing is bland and flavorless. If you like him, that's fine, I'm not here to take that away from anyone, but at least admit he's not the Marvel messiah so many people paint him as.
>>
>>90196398
>not the Marvel messiah so many people paint him as.
I don't think so much him being Marvel's messiah but rather he's the only "above average" writer they have right now. Marvel is in a very sore state writing wise right now and many people are aware of that. As for his writing style he has two settings, he either goes full meta-textual demi-cosmic writing ( AoA, Ultimates) or he goes insane campy cheesy that people just find fun since it's so rare nowadays (Contest of Champions, U.S.Avengers, New Avengers), altho his writing might have some flaws it's just interesting/fun enough for some people to think him he saving grace of the current Marvel.
>>
>>90191998
>The worst was when he brought over the Beyond Corporation from Nextwave and had them do literally fuck all.

That's because Dr Doom blew them up in New Avengers.
>>
Ewing is basically Gillen but he fetishizes black people instead of gays
>>
>>90193543
speed force ruined Flash stories forever
Thread posts: 212
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.