[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

When did comics stop becoming so verbose?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

File: blah.png (428KB, 770x433px) Image search: [Google]
blah.png
428KB, 770x433px
When did comics stop becoming so verbose?

I must admit I have a hard reading some older comics due the sheer verboseness of them. Is there a point in time when that stopped? Or did it happen happen over a number of years?
>>
The verbosity of this post has piqued my interest
>>
>>90128628
I tried to keep it funny (and serious) but I don't know if I did it wrong, or others wouldn't find it funny.
>>
Around 80s-90s when reprint collections became a thing.
>>
>>90128586
Because, how is a tragically dying medium supposed to convey it's message in todays modern world?
It needs to tragically half itself to catch the rapidly diminishing attention span of it's fans.

Tl:dr (Faggots) People are too busy to read nowadays.
>>
Gradually throughout the 70s and 80s as art and layouts got more dynamic and moved away from stritc 6-panels per page, allowing for a better show-not-tell approach which dropped heavy narration boxes.

Occasionally a writer would adopt the stritc boxy panels each page like in soke of the old LoSH or the most recent Omega Men because it allows for more narration which is sometimes more preferable especially for info dumps.
>>
>>90128709
No, fuck you. Visual mediums do not need walls of text. The art should convey most of the story
>>
>>90128586
Originally printing technology wasnt that great and as such limited how dynamic art could be, so the writer used text describing the action in dramatic, verbose language to make up for this.

As printing tech improved, there was less need for second by second accounts as Artists could now make it clear what was happening with more detail.

And on top of this Decompression came in style, so instead of 1 story being finished in 1 issue, it takes 6 issues. Obviously this has the effect of, for example, having 5 lines spread over 5 panels instead of 1.
>>
>>90128709
"Show, don't tell."
Exists for a reason.
>>
File: image.jpg (223KB, 579x566px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
223KB, 579x566px
>>90128709
Because writers had little faith in artists to capture action without exposition back in the day,I think gradually writers just let artists let loose on expressive faces and actions
>>
>>90128709
t. Brian Michael Bendis
>>
>>90128586
While applaud your use of verbose I abhor your repetition of it.
>>
>>90128586
When they stopped being for kids

If you examine the dialogue in those comics it's reminders of old cases or powersets or motivations

Today's adult reader despises being reminded that his medium is for children and thus it no longer is, thanks to adult dialogue
>>
>>90128709
You either don't understand what the OP is talking about, or you maybe haven't read much old comics, but some of the garbage scattered through most gold/silver age comics makes them such a slog to get through. I don't need a heading telling me a building is collapsing when I can fucking see what the artist has drawn
>>
>>90128890
writers still seem to have little faith in their artists, its just that they clutter things up with caption boxes now instead of thought bubbles
>>
Because comics today are shit. Creators are just interested in decompressing their issues as much as they can with unnecessary and emotionless splashpages, to shit out more issues.
No opening page today matches the emotions and suspense when Alan Moore opened his anatomy lesson; Or when the narrator in Man-thing goes, " And whatever knows fear---burns at the Man-thing's touch."
>>
>>90128890
Just Christ, this is shonen levels of over explaining action.
>>
>>90128586
It's the increasing number of single parent households. They need to keep their sales constant when today's kids aren't raised in the right way.
>>
>>90128709
No. Oldschool comics just had less dynamic and expressive art with some terrible feats of drawing and very imprecise print that made it hard to tell what was happening in any detail.
With tiny frames it was often enough necessary to put everything into the text.
Especially for the young audience.
Today we tend to see comics become more visual, which makes the great stuff shine brighter with polished art and few interfering bubbles. But the fails fail that much harder because you can see every mistake clearly.
>>
File: image.jpg (584KB, 1000x1537px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
584KB, 1000x1537px
>>90129215
To be fair Moore himself was one of the best writers at letting the artist tell a story.We don't need characters telling is how they feel and what actions they are doing to bloat a book,sometimes less is more
>>
>>90128586
Comics were supposed to take you a while to read. That was your whole alliance. When creators started realizing they could charge full price for 20 splash pages that took two minutes to read no one complained so they got away with it.
>>
>>90129320
>alliance
Derp, I mean allowance. Not even on a phone, just retarded
>>
>>90128759
By that logic, no movie ever needs a narrator either.
>>
Today's readers can barely concentrate long enough to finish a Tweet. They couldn't handle Claremont's X-Men or God help them, an EC Comic. Some of the EC's were upwards of 5,000 words a story in seven page strips. They also had better character development and more detailed plots. They weren't summer movie scripts stretching over six months.
>>
File: image.jpg (117KB, 490x491px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
117KB, 490x491px
>>90129397
A better comparison is excessive exposition,don't forget a lot of writers were paid for each word and boy did they want a fat pay cheque
>>
>>90129397
Exactly. Fuck movie narrators. That's pure laziness by the writers.
>>
>>90129199
Does anyone actually prefer thought bubbles over narration boxes?
>>
>>90128759
>Wah visual medium means that it should rely exclusively in visuals!
Thank you, dumbass.
>>
>>90129308
He still knew when to use third person and first person narration to set the tone. It can still be used to a great effect. Morrison describing the horrors in his Doom Patrol comes to mind, and more recently, King's Vision. Today's writers have given up on it completely.
>>
>>90129877
Neal Adams
>>
>>90128586
You think American comics are verbose?
>>
>>90130044
Why is hank from king of the hill old and a Nazi?
>>
>>90130158
He now sells propane ovens and propane oven accessories.
>>
>>90129947
For someone so obsessed with text, you've got shit reading comprehension.
>>
>>90130044
Because unlike Americans, French treat comics with utmost importance and not just something to read in the toilet.
>>
File: Couv_197631.jpg (118KB, 500x641px) Image search: [Google]
Couv_197631.jpg
118KB, 500x641px
>>90130976
Eh, not really.
>>
00s, when Bendis became popular
I shit you not, he invented the decompression
>>
here, it's a FACT
from marvel FACTS
>>
>>90132386
>The Ultimate Universe as Marvel's biggest milestone.

Ah, the gift of hindsight.
>>
>>90132286
While Bendis was one of the writers to popularize the style other writers were doing similar things around the same time. Ellis/Hitch Authority was also important in popularizing the splash heavy, less narration comic we have today
>>
>>90130044
>>90130976
It depends. As it should because you can have different style from different authors for different tastes.
Some want textless comics where everything is conveyed by the visuals, some want illustrated novels. Or anything in between. Take your pick.

Also Blake and Mortimer is quite old, and I think they kept the original old-style narration for recent albums.
>>
>>90128673
ur retarded m8, there was nothing funny about it. Fuck are you actually autisitc?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.