[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

what do you think of the new DC rebirth

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 10

File: DC_Rebirth_PreviewsCVR950.jpg (252KB, 950x636px) Image search: [Google]
DC_Rebirth_PreviewsCVR950.jpg
252KB, 950x636px
>>
>>90071455
Babs costume is garbage.
>>
>>90071455
Not gonna lie, scared to check it out.

I found Nu52 to be an absolute shit show and hated nearly everything with it.

The fact that they pulled the bullshit "dream sequence" excuse to redo it again makes me feel like I was justified in bailing out of it.

I've actually been spending the past few years catching up on Marvel, mainly through events, but seeing all the SJW stuff they're doing now, I'm hoping to find a stopping point, probably CW2 is the farthest I'll go.

If you guys can convince me certain titles are worth picking up I'll look into it, but I'm honestly not holding out too much hope.
>>
>>90071515
Red Hood and the Outlaws is a pretty fun read
>>
>>90071515
>I hated this thing
>I guess i'll also hate the thing that fixes the thing I hated
??????
>>
>>90071533
Are.
Are you telling me the New 52 one, or did they keep it up and make it better.
>>
>>90071574
Rebirth one, it's better.
>>
>>90071580
To make my transition easier, and I know how much you guys HATE events, but what core books am I look to get to read from Nu to Rebirth?

Or was there not even an event, and they just redid things?

I was reading around 15 of the titles when they were coming out and stopped around 30-40 with most of them.
>>
>>90071621
There was an event, I didn't read it I just jumped straight to the titles I wanted to but I've heard it's good.
>>
File: 5zoqkhs5qqox.jpg (2MB, 1200x1800px) Image search: [Google]
5zoqkhs5qqox.jpg
2MB, 1200x1800px
>>90071621
You just need to read Justice League if you want to get a feel for what happened in the New 52. The last Superman issue will fill you in on the only element you miss out on.

Neither of those are really required though, the Rebirth #1 one shot does a good job at setting up the new universe. In fact, you should read that one shot and judge based on that.
>>
>>90071515
>dream sequence
What. Do you not know what Rebirth is?
>>
>>90071679
>durrrr i dont know how to read context into a statement
If your series is so shitty you have to be like "oh it's just a thing that Dr. Manhattan made up" then fuck you and your bad writing.
It's a dream sequence cop out.
>>
>>90071661
It's the same universe, not a new one.
>>
>>90071707
You are right. I mean new perspective of the universe.
>>
>>90071699
It's not though, everything N52 still happened.
A dream sequence would mean it never happened.
>>
>>90071699
>oh it's just a thing that Dr. Manhattan made up
What? Made what up? Like what are you mad at? Did you make up what Rebirth is and then get mad at it?
>>
>>90071699
>It's a dream sequence cop out
>dream sequence
>>
>>90071743
As it was explained to me, the New 52 universe is something that Dr. Manhattan created and Rebirth was them like....fixing that so to speak?
>>
>>90071781
New 52 is the same universe as pre 52. Manhattan didn't make anything.
>>
>>90071781
The New 52 is the result of the universe getting fucked with when it was supposed to go back to how it was pre-flash point.

The New 52 continuity is still in place, rebirth is just bringing back elements people liked from pre-fp.

The Manhattan thing isn't even confirmed yet, but it's highly speculated it was him who messed with things.
>>
>>90071483

To be fair that is pre Rebirth
>>
>>90071515
>The fact that they pulled the bullshit "dream sequence" excuse

lol wut?
>>
I like Justice League now
>>
>>90071781
>As it was explained to me, the New 52 universe is something that Dr. Manhattan created and Rebirth was them like....fixing that so to speak?
Not really.

They basically explained New 52 being all fucked up by Manhattan stealing '10 years' worth of events from our heroes. So MM isn't in the JL, there is no Flash family etc because Manhattan removed these events from time to weaken our heroes.

Wally West was trapped in the speedforce by Abra Kadabra and whilst there, external to time, gained knowledge of the pre-new 52 universe and Manhattans meddling.

When Wally returns to the universe (rebirth 1 shot), he litters the world with clues and memories that are still being explored.
>>
>>90071934
>liters the world with clues
...Wait
Wasn't that a thing at the end of Flashpoint?
I might be remembering the wrong thing, it's been a few years.
>>
>>90071934
TLDR rebirth simply retconns flashpoint as being Barry's accidental fault to being a purposeful act of meddling by Manhattan.

Why? We don't know.

How? We don't know.

Who? We don't know (in universe).

So it's still being explored. There is a Flash/bats crossover coming up called "the button" where they will explore the origins of a comedian pin left in the batcave by Wally in Rebirth #1.
>>
File: aqm_mera.png (504KB, 630x429px) Image search: [Google]
aqm_mera.png
504KB, 630x429px
>>90071961
It's all in the Rebirth #1 one shot.

Basically Wally is struggling to escape the speedforce as his normal anchor Linda doesn't remember him. Thinking that he won't survive, he decides to try anchoring to Batman because he figures that even if he fails he is pretty sure that the detective inside batman is going to bother investigating the unknown Flash that exploded out of lightning in front of him.

While Wally is visiting batman, a watchmen pin shoots out of the speed force and into the wall of the batcave. This is the hard physical evidence to the Watchmen and Barry/Bruce are about to go all speed force CSI on it.

It's revealed in Titans that Wally was defeated by his rival kadabra, thrusting him into the speedforce. As the speedforce transcends time/space he learned of the pre-new52 universe and also that the current universe has been meddled with.
>>
>>90071455
Dropped between a third and a half of the titles I've read but I'm still reading three times the number of dc books compared to this time last year so I can't complain. Plus new super-man continues to be my favourite new series.
>>
>>90071961
>Wasn't that a thing at the end of Flashpoint?
Flashpoint ends with barry giving Bruce a letter from his father in Flashpoint. Not really a clue, just a final ending.
>>
>>90072008
No I remember that but...
Fuck I remember a story line that, maybe it didn't END with a mystery left but I recall, I THINK Rip having a board of shit to investigate in relation to something being off in the universe?

Fuck, I need to backread DC too now.
>>
>>90072032
I think new 52 was heading towards Pandora being a bigger character, but they changed direction when it wasn't well received.

She played a big role in the early events and got atomized by Manhattan (quite symbolic) in rebirth.
>>
Still waiting for the "classic" JSA to appear. Anything of relevance besides crazy old man Thunderbolt so far?
>>
>>90072002
New Super-Man is fucking awesome, not a single wasted issue in it.
>>
File: JonKent.jpg (1MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
JonKent.jpg
1MB, 1988x3056px
>>90072050
Aquaman and Superman too imo
>>
>>90072047
Jay's helmet is in the speedforce, Johnny Sorrow is looking for them.
>>
>>90072047
Yeah the showed jay garricks hat at the end of a flash issue.
>>
>>90072047
Outside of art (i.e them being in a bunch of rebirth teasers, no).

But rebirth appears to be slow and thought out, so they may be slated to appear in "act 3" so to speak.

Didio said that an issue with New 52 is that they flooded the market with titles and people had to pick and choose between their favourites and when they did drop something there was nothing new to pick up.

In rebirth they are staggaring releases, so when you drop a book, there are 3 new rebirth 1 shots to try bait you back in. They delayed Super Sons because rebirth was selling so well and they didn't want to rock the ship.

Worked too, I dropped JL, picked up trinity, dropped Batman, picked up supersons. If they all came out at the same time my wallet wouldn't have expanded to include them all.
>>
>>90072057
Those three books have been pretty good. Batman has been hit or miss bu Tec has been really fucking good and so has Allstar Batman. Basically everyone not called Cyborg in the Justice League has at least one good book. Pity Cyborg is bland as fuck. By far the most interesting he has done in Rebirth was meet up with Brainac 5 last issue of JL. I seriously cannot remember anything else he has done that has been that cool.
>>
>>90072096
Cyborg's book is pretty good pleb.
>>
I've been catching up on Batman today.

I loved King's work on Vision and I've heard good things about his Omega Men work. But holy shit he has no grasp on Batman's voice. He makes him sound so fucking awkward and borderline autistic at times (Repeating "I need him to save someone who needs to be saved turn him over, I go away, refuse to turn him over and I will break your damn back back" then he starts punching walls and repeating that over and over) The way he kept calling Duke "Mr. Thomas" sounded like it should have been coming out of Alfred and I cringe every time he calls Catwoman, "Cat." When has that EVER been a thing? It's Catwoman or Selina. And that fucking letter he writes to her when he finds out she's being moved to Arkham and he tells her he's really a little boy hiding behind his silly clothing.
>"How sad. How stupid. How immature. How hilarious. How hilarious all of it is. I want to laugh, too. Do you know how much I want to laugh?"

Just thinking of Bruce using the words mommy and daddy as an adult makes me cringe let alone in a letter to Selina. Then he talks about slicing his wrists with his dad's razor blades.
>I AM BATMAN. I AM SUICIDE.

God that whole issue #12 was a pain to get through.

Speaking of Catwoman, When did she become a mass murderer? Why the fuck would Bruce have any romantic feelings for a mass murderer. She's a thief, that's why it works. I'm hoping the more I read the more this will make sense because neither Bats nor Catwoman read like themselves.
>>
>>90072114
If he was really that interesting a character he'd still double ship.
>>
>>90072062
>Johnny Sorrow
Justice Society vs Injustice Society when?!
>>
I'm really enjoying it, I mostly read trades and back issues but Rebirthmade me check out more ongoings. The only ongoings I was reading before Rebirth was the tail end of New 52 Superman and Justice League. Is Rebirth Hellblazer worth checking out? I'd bought the first three trades of the original run and was wondering about this new run.
>>
>>90072197
Finish the arc (and the two-part rooftop arc) and you'll learn all you need about Cat and the murder thing
>>
>>90072419
I'm enjoying it. Art's been great throughout and the first arc has Swampy playing a role so I've loved it. I like that even though we're 'on the second arc' it's still a continuation of the first arc so it feels like a really big thing John's involved with (which he is)
Good read
>>
>>90071455
I think it's fucking horrible.
>>
>>90072682

Yeah I just caught up with I Am Bane. Wish I hadn't.

Goddamn King on Batman is garbage. I'll finish I Am Bane because I love the character and then never pick up another Batbook by him again.
>>
>>90072732
I...I'm actually really enjoying King's Batman. Like a hell of a lot.
>>
>>90072197
Vision was really fucking shit
>hurf durf robots have emotions! Look at them be sad SO ORIGINAL
Fuck off with that shit.
>>
File: faggotry.png (230KB, 500x294px) Image search: [Google]
faggotry.png
230KB, 500x294px
>>90072709
Ok... why?
>>
>>90072782
house style art
house style storytelling
rehashed ideas
shortage of talent
boring all around
>>
>>90072746

Hey more power to you but I have no idea how. I can generally enjoy anything and consider myself a super lenient critic. I sat through the Star Wars Prequels, The Hobbit Trilogy, The Matrix Trilogy and enjoyed myself. But these stories have been garbage OoC messes.

I Am Suicide and that Catwoman 2 parter felt like I was reading Marjorie Liu's emo X-23 all over again. Except you know, it at least made sense and was relatively in character for her.

Nothing is happening in these stories as King tries to fellate himself and make everyone think he's brave for treading new emotional ground with Batman when in reality it just comes across as really poorly written. It feels like basic depression/suicide monologues that were then slapped onto Batman rather than taking the character of Bruce/Batman and writing from their point of view in their voice or at least tweaking it to better fit with the way he acts.

It would only be boringly average and not so blatantly offensive if the way the characters talk wasn't so goddamn distracting. It's no wonder Vision, where everyone talks like an emotionless robot, is his claim to fame if this is how he writes HUMAN BEINGS.
>>
>>90072857
>I sat through the Star Wars Prequels, The Hobbit Trilogy, The Matrix Trilogy and enjoyed myself
Sounds like you have shit taste.
>>
>>90072709
Hang yourself marlelfag
>>
>>90072867

If liking King's Batman is what people with "good taste" do I'm quite alright with my "shit taste."
>>
>>90072857
But his GL one shot and Omega men's chracters speaks normally. I think he just want to emphasize something with Batman.
>>
>>90072782

>>90071934
>>90071963
That's why. As well as a somehow lower quality of books than the dumpster fire that was the New 52
>>
>>90072831
>house style art
>Green Arrow
>Supergirl
>Flash
>Super Sons
>RHaTO
>New Super-Man
>Trinity
>Superman when Gleason is on Pencils
>House Style
There are house style artists but not a lot of them, there's Zircher, anyone on Justice League, the Aquaman artists, the Batman artists, and the WW artists (Pretty debatable), the Deathstroke artists.

>shortage of talent
DC is reusing less creators than Marvel which is really the only comparison. Dan Abnett is the only guy working two books right now. They also signed in a lot of new blood especially in the artist department
>>
>>90073510
Those are the exceptions. Also Supergirl has horrible art.
>trinity
I agree with you when Manapul is drawing it, but he barely is. Fill ins have been house.
>>
>>90073532
Lupachino is barely house, she draws more cute. Clay Mann is though. Either way here's some more

>All Star Batman
>Batgirl
>Batgirl and the Birds of Prey
>Action Comics when Segovia or Kirkham is on it
>Titans (Debatable, honestly I don't think Booth counts since his art barely looks anything like Mahnke's, Reis', Prado's, Finch, or Lee's, or any of the poser artists like Janin or Zircher)
>Teen Titans (Debatable, personally I think Pham's art stands out enough to not be considered house art, his faces are pretty distinct and body models are less muscly and generic)
>Hellblazer
>Blue Beetle
>Batman Beyond
>Harley Quinn

Or are you still gonna argue that Rebirth is just full of house art? Because off the top of my head these are really the only books that qualify
>Superman when Mahke is on it
>Batman
>WW but not when they got guest artists
>Green Lanterns
>Hal Jordan and the GLC
>Deathstroke
>Cyborg
>Aquaman
>Suicide Squad
>Justice League
>>
>>90073510
>>RHaTO
>>New Super-Man
That's house style, bub.
>>
>>90073620
>>Action Comics when Segovia or Kirkham is on it
>>Titans
>Lupachino not house style
I want what you're smoking

There's also JLA, Death of Hawkman, Superwoman.
>>
>>90071455
Good Tier:
Superman

Not Good Tier but because nostalgia:
Nightwing
Titans

Ok Tier:
Batman
Detective Comics
All Star Batman
Action Comics
Wonder Woman
New Super-man (although last issue was good)
Aquaman
Flash
Green Lanterns
Hal Jordan and the GLC
Cyborg
Teen Titans
Green Arrow
Deathstroke
Red Hood

Boring Tier:
Batgirl
Batgirl and BoP
Superwoman
Supergirl
Trinity
Justice League

Still waiting for Captain Marvel (Shazam), Justice Society and Legion of Superheroes, if they are not good at least will be in nostalgia tier.
>>
>>90073510
>>90073620
You can list them all you want, the bottom line is that there isn't a single title that is visually dynamic and/or unconventional. It's all variations on the same thing.
>>
>>90071455
The newest new reboot from NEW DC seems to be OK. They haven't done any pointless meandering like 52. (Flashpoint was good, though.) They've put out some interesting and entertaining stuff from the Bat and Supes comics. The most-recent Superboy comics have been good, solid, kids-adventure stuff. The Superman China comic is growing better, and ish 8 was a blast. I should get into some of the smaller titles, when they get around to making some. Y'know, Komandi, or JSA. DC's still trying to keep to the new course. Good so far, let's see where it goes. I just want to cross my fingers and let it take it's time and not see it go "kill anything good, for ratings, because the readers are stupid."
>>
File: Stando.jpg (1MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
Stando.jpg
1MB, 1988x3056px
>>90073634
>Pic Related
>House Style
>Not heavily influenced by anime as fuck
Yeah sure
>>
>>90073772
That's house style, buddy.
>>
>>90073720
oh the same way almost every non house style art is just the same fucking webcomics-tier art college project?
>>
>>90073804
So you agree then. It's all bland safe house style.
>>
>>90073861
Given that the alternative seems to be Henderson's Squirrel Girl...
>>
>>90073935
The alternative is David Aja, Mike Del Mundo, JH WIlliams III, Marco Rudy, Frazer Irving, Greg Smallwood, Travel Foreman, Bill Sienkiewicz.

I'll give All Star Batman credit for Jock and Tula Lotay.
>>
>>90072709

Go to bed Nick
>>
>>90073980
didn't they get Sienkiewicz for Deathstroke? Besides, isn't Foreman the only one there right now who's doing anything regular?
>>
>>90073980
well the problem is most non-house style artists that are actually good and not just webcomics tier need months of preparation to hold on even a monthly title, let alone something that goes past 6 issues twice monthly without any delays. The fact that Janin has been at his best on Batman when his Grayson was generic is surprising.
>>
>>90071455
Looking foward to retro jla.
>>
I dropped pretty much all the main titles I was reading, there hasn't been anything that really made me want to keep reading. I'm not the type that clamors for nostalgia bait so everything is a bit too safe for my taste.

I do like the practices of Rebirth though with the 2.99 comics, very short events that are contained to 3-4 books and reviving/making new imprints. All I'm reading from DC right now are Hannah Barbera, YA and Wildstorm books so I hope Rebirth keeps selling well so I can get my more "out there" books.
>>
>>90071455
more than i expected, less than i hope
seriously were the fuck is the Shazam ongoing?
>>
>>90076129
Sienkiewicz is only on covers for Deathstroke.
>>
>>90073980
Del Mundo is on Avengers, Smallwood on Moon Knight, Frazer Irving has been doing work for Thor and Dr. Strange. And if people like Aja aren't doing anything then that means his schedule is free but DC isn't hiring anything but house style.
>>
>>90071455
It has been good so far. I would like some more Power Girl though.
>>
File: IMG_20161206_161218.jpg (122KB, 480x738px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161206_161218.jpg
122KB, 480x738px
Scarlett is my waifu
>>
>>90071455
still to much sjw crap

could use way more sexy costumes
>>
>>90077921
I don't know if you can reasonably expect her. I don't see them taking the Earth-2 characters for the new JSA. Unless there's just a main universe version who isn't Kryptonian but that isn't really satisfying.
>>
File: batgirls-new-costume.jpg (73KB, 636x899px) Image search: [Google]
batgirls-new-costume.jpg
73KB, 636x899px
>>90071882
Oh I know, but it's still garbage. I mean look at it. It's like she just threw it together after a visit to Hobby Lobby. She's part of the batfamily she should at least look the part. Shame, since she's so cute
>>
>>90071455
it was a great jumping on point for me. I only started collecting the past couple years and when I started, at the end of New 52 I couldn't find anything to pick up. Green Arrow, my fav character was fucked up and wasn't the GA I knew. My pull now

>GA
>Green Lanterns
my exposure to the GL mythos is limited to TAS and some crossover books. So this is giving me a great introduction to everything.
>Wonder Woman
Think I'm dropping it, it's just too fucking slow
>Batwoman
>Justice League America
first issue was...ok. I love Lobo and Black Canary so giving it a chance on them.

Also
>Flintstones
>He-man Thundercats
fuck that's a great book.
>>
File: 1474481849321.jpg (161KB, 750x1139px) Image search: [Google]
1474481849321.jpg
161KB, 750x1139px
>>90072831
>>
>>90072419
>Is Rebirth Hellblazer worth checking out?

No
>>
>>90073720
I'm not a fan of the Rebirth's art overall, but Ferreyra is amazing at foreshadowing action and layouts. I don't see how he's generic.
>>
>>90080215
Welcome to the wonderful world of comic book reading.
I hope you enjoy the obsession.
>>
>>90072046
Yeah she got shafted.

I kinda liked her too.
Didn't like the Trinity of sin book, but her story before that where she spends millennia training to fight and recapture the 7 deadly sins was cool.

Though out of the 3 of that trinity, Phantom Stranger was the coolest
>>
>>90071455
It's pretty bad and MCU tier generic. King is phoning in on Batman. Abnett is too tied up in surface dwellers politics. Titans is just a Wally fan service book. Rucka is just writing fan fiction for his waifu. I don't see how anyone can like Tomasi's exposition filled and subtle as a hammer writing. New Super-man is not bad. Deathstroke...well, it is pretty great.
>>
>>90080215
>my exposure to the GL mythos is limited to TAS and some crossover books

Nigga you gotta go back to the OG Rebirth with Johns and just read EVERYTHING.
>>
The Watchman bullshit is enough to make me not give a damn about it.
>>
>>90079764
I wish she got a real Rebirth.
>>
>>90080835
>Titans is just a Wally fan service book.

that's why it's good
>>
>>90080835
>King is phoning in on Batman

The sad thing is I don't think he is. I just think he has no idea how to write the character.
>>
>>90080835
You can actually feel Johns micromanaging most things as most books feel like Johns is ghost writing them.
>>
>>90071455
garbage but thankfully the comics are selling like shit so it won't be around for long

it being DC of course
>>
>>90080719
I read before, just didn't buy cause it's expensive. I used the library for a lot of my reading. It's great for the more adult orientated books
>>
>>90080875
He's making it clear on twitter today that he'd prefer to be writing a Dickbats book
>>
>>90080928

So has his plan been to tank Bruce so they put him on something else?

Genius.
>>
Since a lot of people are dissatisfied with Rebirth, what changes would you like to be made? What creatives would you want on books?
>>
>>90080928
Doesn't seem possible right now
>>
File: bat8.jpg (236KB, 600x964px) Image search: [Google]
bat8.jpg
236KB, 600x964px
>>90079764
>It's like she just threw it together after a visit to Hobby Lobby.
I thought that's how it was supposed to look. Because didn't she have to make it after her gear got destroyed at Black Canary's place?
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.