[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Webcomics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

File: order-of-the-stick-1.png (36KB, 542x351px) Image search: [Google]
order-of-the-stick-1.png
36KB, 542x351px
What was the golden age of webcomics?

Looking back, the period where you had
>OOTS
>8 Bit Theater
>Sexy Losers
>Chugworth Academy

was fucking golden
>>
I've never been a huge one for webcomics, but the time a couple of years back where OOTS was actually getting frequent updates combined with Unsounded being consistently good was really nice.

Wish OOTS would pick up again.
>>
>>90029129
>>Sexy Losers
Shit man, I haven't thought about that one in quite a while.
>That arc where the dude gets cucked by his mom so hard that his girlfriend died of exhaustion.
>>
>>90029129
That's the thing: golden ages are really only discernible in hindsight. We could well considering the current time to be the "real" golden age, with that point in time merely being the leadup to it.

But in my opinion? Late 2000's to early 2010's. Roughly 2006-2013, Beginning with the end of 8-Bit Theatre and solidifying with the end of Homestuck.
>>
>>90030143
>beginning with the end of 8-bit theatre

U wot m8

8-Bit Theatre was one of the best for a long time
>>
>>90029194
I was so invested in OotS back then, but when I tried to get back into it again it just completely lost me after a while.
>>
>>90030401
I met Brian Clevinger at a con once. He clearly didn't want to talk about 8-bit Theatre (he was promoting Atomic Robo) but a friend of mine would not stop pestering him about it.
"I mean, I have done other stuff since-"
"Yeah, but 8-Bit was the best!"
Death glare. It took everything I had not to laugh at how pissed he was getting.
>>
I'm hoping with the success of patreon, we'll enter a period where more professional writers and artists see the medium as an avenue to create creator owned comics. As it is now (and has been for decades), pretty much everything has had a kind of amateurish quality to it, even the really enjoyable stuff.

There's only been a handful of webcomics I can think of that I consider at a level of quality that they could define a golden age.
>>
>>90030401
... I agree? I was saying 8-bit Theatre's ending was the beginning of the end of the golden age of webcomics. I could have been clearer...
>>
prequel
>>
>>90029129
Is OOTS finished already? I stopped following it after they left Namek.
>>
>>90031033

Yeah.

But now they've got on a "boat".
>>
>>90031101
Did they kill Belkar?
>>
>>90029129
I agree with 90030143 . Also, as with classical and popular music, the mediocre short lived stuff tends to get forgotten and we only remember the best examples a decade or so later.
I'd claim there is good stuff out there today - it's just buried in masses of mediocrity.

>>90030805
Amateurish art I can handle within limits but story writing has to be solid.
High quality today: Lackadaisy, Scurry, Derelict, Bad Machinery (writing not art), Gunnerkrigg,. Octopus Pie (despite its detractors).
Highish quality in the 1990s: Bruno, When I Am King, Bobbins (but not the art!);

2000 to 2005: Copper, Diesel Sweeties, Schlock Mercenary, Chopping Block, Megatokyo (for fun until Caston left), The Perry Bible Fellowship, Girl Genius, Scary Go Round, Wigu and Magical Adventures in Space , Little Dee, Girls With Slingshots , Dresden Codak.
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.