[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is this movie really that bad? Sans SUV ad.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

Is this movie really that bad? Sans SUV ad.
>>
>>90004072
yes
>>
>>90004072
I'm afraid I didn't watch it. They got nary a cent out of my pocket.
>>
>>90004072
Why can't we have thneeds AND trees? Why does it always have to be an either or proposition? That whole attitude pisses me off. The old cartoon was good, though.
>>
>All these memes about a random shitty movie from a few years.
>Illumination's next Dr. Seuss project is a remake of How The Grinch Stole Christmas.
>YFW this has all been an elaborate stealth marketing attempt to gather attention.
>>
>>90004072
I feel it's such a shit adaptation that I couldn't even begin to evaluate it on its own merits as a movie. The Once-ler's design in itself just constantly reminds you of the disconnect from the source material.

But if you don't know about the original or can separate it from this more than I can, maybe it's fine just as a movie? I really don't know;

I'm usually not this autistic about other adaptations but for some reason this one strikes me as being almost disrespectful to the source, not intentionally but from how it was handled. Also I'm not sure if any Dr. Seuss book really needs a full-length movie adaptation in the first place.
>>
>>90004167
Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised
>>
>>90004167
>The Grinch was originally about asking the question of does marketing and materialism, more so in the Jim Carrey Movie.
>They give it to Illumination, who are going to market the shit out of this movie.
>>
>>90004072
WITH THE CUSTOMERS ALL BUYING
AND THE MONEY MULTIPLYING
AND THE PR PEOPLE LYING
AND THE LAWYERS ARE DENYING

WHO CARES IF SOME THINGS ARE DYYYYYYYYYYYYYYINGGGGGGGG?
>>
>>90004571
That would be the Biggering one, not the How Bad Can I Be one. HBCIB replaced "some things are dying" with "some trees are dying"
>>
It's Dr Seuss, it's bound to be shit
>>
>>90004508

Also what the hell is Illumination gonna do that the Carrey movie didn't touch on? It already gave depth to the Grinch and the Whos.
>>
Biggering song is GOAT material
>>90006005
(You)
>>
How bad could it be?
>>
HOW BA-A-A-A-A-AD CAN I BE
>>
So we had Bee Movie as a meme, then the Lorax.

Who wants to bet on which mediocre CGI film becomes a meme next? My money is on Shark Tale.
>>
>>90007936
The beautiful thing about memes is that they are unpredictable.
>>
>>90007936
All these CGI films memes have been fucking awful, when will the pain stop?
>>
I feel the problem lies in how step by step the film de-fangs and disrespects the source material. Onceler isn't the problem at first but his EEEEVILLL relatives coerce him into depleting the resource he's been trying to sustain. The boy (whose name I can't even remember) didn't go to the old Onceler out of any interest of his own or concern for why things are such crap, but to impress some girl. *The fucking environment goes RIGHT back to being squeaky clean and pure and Onceler and the Lorax are buddies all of a sudden instead of offering a glimmer of hope. The last bit runs counter to the moral of the story "Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better, it's not."

You could still have had the O'Hare subplot-- the boy learns of the Lorax incident, O'hare's perpetuation of a serious problem and the town ultimately deciding "fuck that shit" and rebelling-- but to just magically make everything better by the end is about as shitty as the SUV ad missing the whole point.
>>
File: Tell Em.png (816KB, 849x460px) Image search: [Google]
Tell Em.png
816KB, 849x460px
>>90004072
>"Go on! Tell him what ya think!"
>>
>>90007801
>Lorax rock opera with a biggering reprise after the last tree was cut down and he went bankrupt
Shieeet mang, that would have been absolutely top-tier
>>
>>90008519
YOU
>>
>>90004072
The Lorax is one of those films that would have just been average and forgettable if it was its own thing, but the fact that it warped the intent of the well-known original story is what makes it so infamous.
>>
>>90004157
>Why can't we have thneeds AND trees?
That was part of the original story though. They acknowledged that completely shutting down all the factories wasn't necessarily the right thing to do either, because so many people would lose their livelihood.

But they expanded beyond what was necessary and chose short-term benefits over planning for the future.
>>
>>90007936
>>90008129

Too bad the Bee Movie memes have began to get exploited:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHkeR81VtJo

And as said earlier, the Lorax memes might be stealth marketing for the shitty Grinch remake.
>>
>>90004571
I DON'T WANNA HEAR YOUR CRYYYYYYYYYINGGGGGG
>>
>>90009018
G R E E D Y
>>
>>90004072
I went into it having no context or clue, no knowledge about what Lorax is, nothing.
I had fun watching it.
It wasnt mindblowing amazing, but it was ok.
>>
>>90007801
Biggering and Let it Grow are legit good.

Though some of Let it Grow's lyrics suck ass. Nobody cares about you, granny Norma. Or about some random little 3 year old either.
>>
>>90004157
Even in the movie, everyone was fine with Thneeds, it's just that the Once-ler fell into the slippery slope HARD and completely disregarding everything out of greed.
>>
>>90008959
That'd be the only way to save the shitshow of the Illumination movie.

-Highly cut down on the stupid kid. Maybe have him listen to voice logs or stories to learn what happened.

-Can keep O'Hare, but make sure to emphasize his efforts to keep Thneedville functioning as a civilization rather than making him straight evil.

-Cut most of Onceler's family.

-Introduce Granny Norma as Onceler's sexual drive to continue with the business, i.e. Like working up to be a man for her or improving their life together over the trees.

-Lorax has to be demon on the shoulder type of magic- no one else can see or hear him and the Lorax appears only when Onceler is alone. Leave it ambiguous whether the Lorax is an actual magical curse, a reclusive/sneaky forest creature, or just a manifestation of Onceler's guilt.

-obviously the transition has to be quicker than one song. Reprises of rock ballads would be a requirement.

-Have the kid deal with sins of the father/sins of the son stuff with his grandpa Onceler (with Norma) and have the blood father-son relation clash with the professional father-son relationship Onceler had with O'Hare, Well done, son kind of guy versus heir to fortune kind of guy.
>>
File: try eating a dick.png (17KB, 149x274px) Image search: [Google]
try eating a dick.png
17KB, 149x274px
>>90004072
if you take away the fact that it's a soulless corporate product, and that it spawned probably the most autistic incestuous fanbase in the history of autistic incestuous fanbases, you have literally nothing left.
>>
>>90004072
This picture reminds me of that one viking meme guy who tells people to stop doing things
>>
>>90010473
I wouldn't discredit it entirely. Seuss's original had many great points and a message, and the movie did add in some good things like O'Hare and Danny Devito as the Lorax.

And if you haven't, you really need to see the cut Biggering song/animatics. Aside from being an actual good listen, it also reframes Onceler's entire character motivation. It's not Greed like one would normally assume, because Greed can often be good and generally is rational (i.e. long term profits of preserving the trees). Instead, the Onceler's motivation is Pride. Desire to make his loved ones proud. Desire to prove to everyone that he can be successful. Building his self worth brick by brick alongside his business, then not willing to compromise on maintaining his own self image as someone worth something.
>>
>>90009344
The Bee Movie didn't make up that bee's can't fly shit
>>
>>90009890
DIRTBAG
>>
>>90004157
The movie even shows this is possible: you could just pluck the tufts, the tree would be fine. So why - in the magical world of Dr. Seuss, where virtually everything is possible if you just invent it - could they not make a machine that efficiently and cleanly plucks the tufts?
>>
>>90007936
Shark Tale because Mr. Enter reviewed it.

The same thing happened with The Nutshack.
>>
NAH
I SAY LET IT DIE
>>
>>90010790
>and the movie did add in some good things like O'Hare

This has to be trolling. He's the most cliche, one note, useless characters of all time, he has no meaning and no purpose to exist except to be the soulless greedy badguy that the book took such great pains to avoid. He's everything that shouldn't be in a lorax book, an over the top villain who is out to keep wrecking the world just because he can and is greedy and no other reasons. Oh, and he's also a short guy, because what better way to drive home that you, the watcher, could never be the villain than to literally give them a physical condition that separates them entirely from you as a person and makes them visually separate from the 'clean and wholesome' town at the end.

O'hare is how you know they didn't give a fuck about the story, either the books original or the new one they were creating, they didn't care.
>>
File: 112984714891412.jpg (28KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
112984714891412.jpg
28KB, 300x300px
>>90004072
I know right? How bad can the movie possibly be?
>>
>>90004218
There's a thematic disconnect between the movie's two storylines that makes it an objective failure whether you're familiar with the source material or not.
>>
>>90004072
Nostalgia Critic and Nostalgia Chick both summed up the problems well. Watch 'em if you haven't already.

http://youtu.be/VtmnG-N0YzU
http://youtu.be/mZyXUgDqCEw
>>
>>90010444
Do you have Skype or Steam, anon? I'd love to talk to you about this stuff.
>>
YOU DONT KNOW ME,
>>
>>90012514
This. It's not just a bad adaptation, it's just a bad movie.
>>
>>90012637
Shut up Doug.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.