[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>mindwipe isn't treated as "worse than murder"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 56
Thread images: 11

File: new-samurai-jack-promo[1].jpg (58KB, 620x650px) Image search: [Google]
new-samurai-jack-promo[1].jpg
58KB, 620x650px
>mindwipe isn't treated as "worse than murder"
>>
>>89946104
It isn't though still pretty fucked. Unless it's "I'm a veggietale" tier mind wiping.
>>
Not all mindwipes are created equal much like how not all killings are murder
>>
>>89946133
How is it not? Whether you're destroying the biological host platform to the mind or wiping the data from the brain you're still obliterating a consciousness. Same shit different method.
>>
>>89946563
You are your brain, even if you don't remember shit you're still technically you, beats being dead.
>>
>>89946596
>even if you don't remember shit you're still technically you
No you're not. The person you were was killed when the memories were wiped and a new different mind is left. You are the sum total of your memories.

You are like a software program and the brain/body are just the hardware needed to run it. If you alter/delete the program you are dead. If my consciousness were to be uploaded at the point of my body's end Anon would still exist, the hardware is irrelevant, it's the software that is you.
>>
>>89946697
In the instance you described, though, you would be dead. A copy would be living in your place that thinks it's you, but the original you is just rotting in the ground.
>>
>>89946104
I'm more fond of the asswipe. I use this a lot.
>>
>>89946697

do you hold a fucking funeral every time you realise you forgot something u fukn nerd
>>
>>89946885
I find it weird that your self of self is a hunk of meat and not your mind. That's a very strange view.
>>
File: 1447801043468.png (690KB, 579x1083px) Image search: [Google]
1447801043468.png
690KB, 579x1083px
As long as it can returned for any stupid reason and/or your not left a potato...

Killed > soul taken > mind-wipe > broken spirit > lost a limb > important organs > semi-important organs (1 kidney) > small appendages > broken bones > flesh wound > bruises > easily agitated (can't take shit talk)

>in relation to being a hero/villain
>>
>>89946697
You are your brain, physically. If you lose your memory it's still the same consciousness as when you had them.
>>
>>89946980
That hunk of meat IS your mind. Every function of your mind is generated by that meat. Your mind is not separate from it.
>>
File: Sugar_Portrait.png (205KB, 423x423px) Image search: [Google]
Sugar_Portrait.png
205KB, 423x423px
I could definitely see "as bad" but not worse.
Now, wiping your memory from everyone else's mind, THAT's some grade A fucked up shit.
>>
>>89946981
soul taken is worse than killed because it generally means you can't move on to the afterlife
>>
>>89946964
No because while the mind like everything is ever changing and evolving there is a continuity to it moment to moment. However a mind wipe is a sudden and severe alteration with a resulting mind that is totally distinct from the one prior to the mind wipe.
>>
>>89947076
>That guy that was assigned to his wife as a toy saw his wife get remarried to another man and be happy for years with no memory of him.
>>
>>89947123
Just because I don't remember the 10-15 minutes where I was playing outside, fell off my bike, and hit my head on the concrete doesn't make me a different person. Someone told me it happened after I "got back" and had a cut on my head but I lost some continuity there that I've never gotten back.

You are acting like memory loss is always some big thing being taken away.
>>
>>89947087
Some take advantage of that.

>What is a necromancer
>>
>>89947044
It's not separate from it in so far as it is hosted by it in the same sense that every function of an operating system is generated by a processor and associated hardware. I can back up my operating system and restore it onto new hardware, it's still my OS and my files. The hard drive is not my files, it carries my files.

You are your consciousness, your beliefs, habits and traits defined by your experiences and memories. Your likes and dislikes, relationships and skills are you. If Bill is a tractor engineer with a wife, a good drinking buddy and two kids, but gets mind wiped and the resulting person doesn't know how to fix a tractor and doesn't know any of the people from Bill's relationships then it's not Bill.

You might want to call it Bill because it looks like Bill and smells like Bill. But it's not Bill any more than an identical twin brother is Bill.

If you self identify more by your physical vessel than your thoughts and memories, well that's frankly bizarre. I mean by your standards somebody that becomes a zombie isn't gone since they're still shuffling around and there is activity in their nervous system, even though they've gone from the person they were to a shambling brain devouring automaton.
>>
File: dbkai34-00.png (2MB, 1440x1080px) Image search: [Google]
dbkai34-00.png
2MB, 1440x1080px
>>89947044
Is this Goku, or Captain Ginyu?
>>
>>89947211
15 minutes isn't your entire life. "Mind wipe" means 100% memory loss.
Usually with the exception of basic functions like walking and talking.
>>
>>89947410
It's Goku who thinks he's Ginyu. Just like how Spock was just Peter mindfucked into thinking he was Octavius.
>>
File: Disapproval.png (102KB, 345x230px) Image search: [Google]
Disapproval.png
102KB, 345x230px
>>89947562
>It's Goku who thinks he's Ginyu
Yep, you're hopeless.
>>
File: kubo and his grandfather.png (160KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
kubo and his grandfather.png
160KB, 500x281px
>>89946104
>Mindwipe is treated as a good thing
>>
>>89946697
Aspects of who you are persist even if you lose memory of who you are. Muscle memory takes over when performing tasks, the way you respond to questions and observations is the same.
Unless A, the memory regressed to where you're essentially a younger version of yourself or B, a vegetable, at present, you simply are who you are.
>>
>>89946885
>>89946596
If the body mattered more than the mind, then identical twins would be treated as the same person since they have identical DNA, but that just wouldn't make sense.
>>
>>89946981
>losing a limb > important organs

I dunno, I think I'd be more okay with not having a leg or an arm than not being able to shit on my own or something.
>>
File: g1 mindwipe.jpg (75KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
g1 mindwipe.jpg
75KB, 800x800px
>>89946104
Mindwipe is a Decepticon, of course he's worse than murder.
>>
>>89947420
Mindwipe can mean less than 100% though.
>>
>>89947851
It usually refers to more than just a simple blackout. It implies something being performed with intent to remove something of significance.
>>
>>89947800
You a hero/villain?
>>
>>89946104
>50 years have passed
>but I do not age

Any speculation on reasoning?Because I've been just lost on that since day 1 when they said it.
>>
>>89947887
It really depends on the context. Sometimes memories are erased to protect secret identities which the information is only important to the other person and not really the memory or identity loser.

You're assuming mindwipe being done on a large scale when it's not inherent to the concept.
>>
>>89947942

Confirmed to be time travel side effects
>>
File: slow.jpg (242KB, 600x421px) Image search: [Google]
slow.jpg
242KB, 600x421px
>>89947562
Bet this guy thinks Burter moves the universe around him at relative speed faster then those around him.
>>
File: findingnemo-rex.jpg (182KB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
findingnemo-rex.jpg
182KB, 2048x1536px
>>89947353
>If Bill is a tractor engineer but gets mind wiped and the resulting person doesn't know how to fix a tractor

This actually brings up an interesting point. People suffering memory defects have actually been observed to maintain certain kinds of knowledge like performing tasks, despite being unable to remember the process of learning to perform them. So theoretically going by these cases, even if Bill's memories were removed, he could still be able to fix a tractor, despite having no memories of when he learned how to fix a tractor, or even why he knows how to fix a tractor or the fact that he can fix a tractor until he goes and does it.

To use a /co/ example, Dory is pretty good at illustrating this when she demonstrates that she can read, but at first doesn't know the fact that she can read, or why.

Of course, how these observations would relate to the hypothetical situation of a fictional mindwipe technique are debatable, I just think it's an interesting topic.
>>
>>89947991
so Jack is just stuck being 20-ish years old?
>>
>>89948150
Muscle memory is usually unaffected by memory loss, which is why you can still walk. Bill wouldn't know what to do , but if he did the right thing he'd know it felt familiar. It'd kinda be like playing a video game without button prompts, walking around selecting things, hitting random buttons until one activates a wrench turning animation.
>>
>>89948257
He looks closer to 30, but yes.
>>
>IIT: op tries to hate on shitty memes, gets sidetracked into vague discussion about left-hemisphere brain injuries
>>
>>89947123
>theseus' ship
>every moment you forget an old memory or gain a new one, you are killing your previous self
>most of your organic material isn't even the same. you are literally a different person than you were before. that person is dead.
>you are suffering through a constant state of death
>>
>>89948332
It's been a good discussion imo. We don't really need another trope thread.
>>
>>89948297
I wonder how long it would have taken him to figure out he was actually suffering a time travel curse and he's not just a typical fit asian guy.
>>
>>89947904
Civilian extra. Supporting character, at most.
>>
>>89948656
Scotsman had a kid and saw him grow up.

>Scotsman ded
>>
What kind of mindwipe are we talking about? One that preserves a person's general personality, one that turns them into a vegetable, what?

Think of the Moon King in Kubo. Mindwiped in that he no longer remembered who he was or who Kubo was, but still able to function as a living being, and ultimately made into a happier, better person as a result.

Versus like...I dunno...Doomsday in that Justice Lords episode of JLU. Turned into a vegetable.
>>
>>89946596
Nah dude you are your continuity. Brain, data, body don't matter. what makes you who you are is a long unbroken chain of existence
>>
>>89947410

>so, does that make ME Ginyu?

https://youtu.be/Kg77rw2o3fo?t=11s
>>
>>89948720
Don't forget about bimbofication.
>>
File: file.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
file.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>89948767
No your Patrick.
>>
Tier one: magical amnesia

Tier two: removing specific memories (the reason for becoming villain)

Tier three: no magic, literally just brain damage like a lobotomy or some shit
>>
I knew a guy back in High School who was a massive egoist, popular athlete, and smug as hell to everyone he met. Then one day he apparently hit his head somehow, and lost all of his memories. Became a completely different person, a lot more polite, shy, and had an aptitude for computers. He was like a completely different person but with the same face.

It was the weirdest shit.
>>
>>89949292
This one is tricky because head trauma can cause personality changes without memory loss anyway.
>>
>>89948921
Steve Wozniak has had an interesting life.
>>
>>89946563
>>89946104
Then it would only ever be equal to murder, not worse.

IMO brainwashing/brainjacking may be worse than murder but mindwipe isn't.
Thread posts: 56
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.