[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is this thing one of the best crossover characters?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 8

File: predator.jpg (149KB, 1400x700px) Image search: [Google]
predator.jpg
149KB, 1400x700px
Why is this thing one of the best crossover characters?
>>
>>89912061
It's easy to picture him hunting something/someone and there's a lot of interesting ways for it to play out. The stories write themselves.
>>
>>89912061
Basically as >>89912940 says. And it works with the info we've been given about them. The more powerful or threatening the hero or villains the bigger the draw for the Predators to hunt them.

Much the same with the aliens which despite being creatures, are more akin to a plague or natural disaster with some reasoning skills. The seek to expand the hive and protect it. No reasoning or bargaining.

As an antagonist, both are simple and straightforward. Survive or die
>>
>>89912061
Technologically advanced alien fudd.
What's not to love?
>>
>>89912061
>Prepared to kill anyhthing
>No need for reasons
>Silent, not by being stupid, jusy by not having the need
>>
>>89912061
When are we going to get a new mashup movie where humans are stuck between the conflict between them a new alien race? Starship Troopers vs. Predator? District 9 vs. Predator? Ender's Game vs. Predator?
>>
>>89913534
None of those interlocutors would be interesting to the Predators. The Starship Troopers are just humans with the interesting bits drummed out of them by fascism. The District 9 aliens and the Formics are both weak and stupid. The Predators wouldn't want to hunt any of them.

If I have to think of a modern sci-fi universe to cross over with the Predators, Avatar comes to mind. Pandora is stuffed with challenging prey, and even has a sapient species that's worth hunting.
>>
File: 2afj15j.jpg (20KB, 426x288px) Image search: [Google]
2afj15j.jpg
20KB, 426x288px
>>89913564
>The Starship Troopers are just humans with the interesting bits drummed out of them by fascism.
The point was the conflict with the alien race. In this case, the Klendathu arachnids. If I had said "Klendathu" most people probably wouldn't know what I was talking about though.
>>
File: prawn_mech_2009_01.jpg (93KB, 800x423px) Image search: [Google]
prawn_mech_2009_01.jpg
93KB, 800x423px
>>89913564
>The District 9 aliens and the Formics are both weak and stupid.
Their technology makes them threatening.

But I was just spitballing anyways. And yeah, I threw in the Formics out of running out of ideas.
>>
>>89913588
Yeah but the Predators already routinely hunt the xenomorphs. What do the bugs offer that the xenos don't?
>>
>>89912061
It's a bad ass expertly trained killer alien with next to no emotions and advanced sci-fi tech, plus it's but ugly.

All these things make for an excellent opponent that makes a great crossover enemy.
>>
>>89913612
>I threw in the Formics out of running out of ideas.
Yeah mind explaining what was so great about their tech? I never read the books.
>>
>>89913637
We already know for a fact Predators value variety of prey. Saying "Aliens are the only prey worth hunting" really undermines their potential. And is a pretty killjoy attitude.
>>
>>89913660
I just admitted I only added them because I ran out of ideas.
>>
>>89913666
Yeah, fine, sure. I guess Predators wouldn't mind hunting bugs.

Them trying to outsmart the telepath bugs would be fun.
>>
File: Archie-vs.-Predator-002-012_13.jpg (2MB, 3390x2583px) Image search: [Google]
Archie-vs.-Predator-002-012_13.jpg
2MB, 3390x2583px
I like how the artists keep the Predator 'in character' during many of these crossovers.

That includes Archie.
>>
>>89913729
Probably. I'm not well read on it though. I kind of assumed there'd be something cool in there.

I only caught the movie
>>
>>89913729
In the books the tech levels are magnitudes greater than in the movie, on both sides.

In the books humans have a fucking interstellar empire, or they do by the end of Ender's Game. FTL travel is a routine thing, too. There are massive stellar warships.
>>
>>89913676
Wasn't trying to be bitchy, figured 6+ books they might have something cool the movie completely glossed over.
>>
Could a predator take down a Jedi?
>>
>>89913755
Rule 66 took down a lot of Jedi, a la clone troopers taking their former Jedi allies by surprise, so it's possible
>>
Because Predators have virtually zero characterization except "badass alien hunter"

They're visually pleasing with a nice array of abilities, but are blank enough that a writer can play with them a bit.

Predators are fucking perfect add-ons but I don't think I've ever seen a good story where they were front and center.
>>
>>89913755
No.

But a Predator versus Boba Fett or IG-88 would be worth it
>>
>>89913755
To quote Cad Bane: "Anyone can snipe a jedi."

So... probably? As long as he doesn't get in close.
>>
>>89913737
By "in character" do you mean only attacking armed humans? Looks like she had a knife which I assume was the reason for the attack.
>>
>>89913774
Yeah but hunting a Jedi would take a Pred out of their usual comfort zone and force them to use different tactics.

You do not want to be the dumb son of a bitch who tries using camouflage against somebody who's long since learned not to trust their eyes.
>>
File: Klingon-Drinking-Mug.jpg (42KB, 692x530px) Image search: [Google]
Klingon-Drinking-Mug.jpg
42KB, 692x530px
Let's see a Predator take on a base full of proud Klingon warriors
>>
File: f6fb327d5efffe43.jpg (108KB, 530x750px) Image search: [Google]
f6fb327d5efffe43.jpg
108KB, 530x750px
Predator vs Yuki Nagato
>>
>>89913774
But, and as much as I hate to defend the prequels, it wasn't premeditated.

Palpatine basically flipped a switch and boom Jedi Genocide, there was no malice, or forethought in it, they were controlled into doing it like a common droid.

With a predator they could probably sense that freaky mother fucker, unless it trained itself to specifically hunt Jedi, and mask itself from them, and the force.
>>
>>89913803
An initial ambush would probably work though. Jedi's aren't always on guard.

Also, it would probably be effective in a populated setting, like Coruscant. A jedi would probably not easily detect his life signs against the backdrop of civilians.
>>
>>89913821
Depends on the Jedi

Someone like Kenobi or Vader would have no problem in a populated area, or a jungle, and speaking of jungles, Yoda would wreck any predator
>>
>>89913840
>Yoda would wreck any predator
I think that much is a given.
>>
>>89912061
He'd be upset that you called him a 'thing' soft-flesh.
>>
File: Jason Voorhees.jpg (35KB, 492x403px) Image search: [Google]
Jason Voorhees.jpg
35KB, 492x403px
>>89912061

How do you think a Pred would feel about a target that won't stay dead?
>>
>>89914490
Possibly curiosity... or after some time they might just stop caring.
>>
>>89913564
The Thing would very easily win against a bunch of Preds because of their stupid tendency to go for close combat.

What I'd really like to see a Predator hunt is the fucking Navi
>>
>>89914490
>>89914585
Could Jason come back from having his spine ripped out? Would it be some retarded Jason X deal where his spine is haning on the Predator trophy room and magically merge with the other trophies and make a Super Jason?
>>
>>89912061
The original Predator itself was basically Arnie vs Predator. This thing's entire schtick is crossover showdowns.

>>89913755
Depends on which Jedi. In theory their prescience should make them out of the Predator's league but in practice bounty hunters kill them all the time.

Though the Predator would probably prefer for his target to know he's coming, for sports, giving away his biggest advantage.
>>
>>89914629
I sure as hell hope not. That movie was more comedy than horror. But truth be told the end result would likely be some crappy Freddy vs. Jason crap.

He wouldn't come back from the spine rip, or a plasma bolt through the skull. Unless we're talking movie franchises or comic books, because then I'm pretty sure the maker's will milk it for every penny they can get
>>
>>89913748
Their tech isnt that much better than ours, but they have a psychic hive mind, which allows them to fight in perfect coordination. They're only the (pseudo)-antagonists of the first book. After that it turns into increasingly Mormon sci fi spiritual yadda yadda
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.