[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This show is so soft, safe, slow-paced, lacking in tension, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 197
Thread images: 30

This show is so soft, safe, slow-paced, lacking in tension, and every character is so understanding, with a few notable exceptions, it legitimately feels like it's aiming for a toddler crowd.

How is such a bland show getting critical acclaim?
>>
>>89908873 (You)
>>
>>89908873
It's comfy, at least in the beginning. The show goes to shit when it tries to ramp up the story.
>>
>>89908873

>every character is so understanding

holy fuck what no
>>
>>89908873
It's getting attention because it's different than other male protag driven shows. I mean it's literally a reversal of those shows right down to the pacifist theme. Whether that's good or bad is up to you.
>>
>>89908873
Because when it does kick into high gear (and that's been increasingly rare of late) it's pretty neat.

We're over the peak of quality now Anons, it's only going to get worse.
>>
>lacking in tension

remember the scene where Amethyst impersonates Greg's dead wife and attempts to sleep with him?

Or when Garnet is split in two by Jasper?

Or when Steve has to reason with Bismuth as she's trying to kill him and her accusing him of being his dead mom?
>>
File: IMG_1829.png (506KB, 1136x640px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1829.png
506KB, 1136x640px
>89908873
Please show some more initiative and originality next time, this isn't a very good attempt.

Not even going to give it a (You)
>>
>>89908944
"Hey guys, this mirror can talk and stuff! Isn't that neat!"

"HOLY FUCK STEVEN BUBBLE IT SHATTER IT GET IT THE FUCK OUUUUTTTTTTT!!!!!"

>so understanding
>>
>>89908977
I think he means plot tension, rather than emotional drama. (Yeah, I know the second one is an example of that.) I agree with the notion that the pace is a little fucky. I don't think the characters are particularly over-kind or hugboxxy though
>>
File: image.png (163KB, 840x826px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
163KB, 840x826px
>>89908873
Waifus
I lust for Pearl's skinny cock every day
>>
>>89908977
>with a few notable exceptions
And you just listed almost all of them. Just gotta throw in Cluster shards first appearance and maybe one or two more I'm not remembering from the top of my head. Those handful of moments don't make a show with 100+ episodes "hardcore" "dark" or edgy".
>>
>>89908873
Yeah I'm really getting sick of how a lot of problems in this show are resolved too quickly or anticlimactically, or just skimmed over.

>>89908976
SU already hit its peak with the S1 finale.
>>
>>89908890
>>89908982
>O-oh yeah, OP? Well (You)!!!
>Still contributing to a thread that got a dozen replies in one minute
Yeah, you sure showed OP by giving him exactly what he wants.
>>
>>89909032
>Those handful of moments don't make a show with 100+ episodes "hardcore" "dark" or edgy".

wat. who the fuck is calling SU those things?
>>
>>89908997
"Peridot! I want to help you understand Earth!"
"Lapis! I sympathize with your plight and want to help you be a better person!"
"Jasper! No matter how much you might hurt me, I still want to heal you!"
"Pearl! Even though you're obsessed with my Mom, I forgive you and truly want what's best for you!"
"Amythyst! I empathize with you and feel the closest to you out of all the Gems!"
"Dad! You've always been there for me, you always have great advice, you're always easy going, you are a wonderful person!"
"Cool Kids! Pizza Family! Pee Dee! You're wonderful friends, and I'm so happy to know all of you and to help you with any problems you might have!"

This show is one fucking step away from having afterschool special-tier dialogue.
>>
>>89909045
That's right anon, you tell 'em. Look man, we have the "[SU / Star vs / WoY] sucks because I've only seen an episode and a half" thread like once every twelve hours. If we don't demonstrate that we know that this is bait, how is OP ever going to get better?
>>
>>89909218
>If we don't demonstrate that we know that this is bait, how is OP ever going to get better?
That was your first mistake. OP is probably five posts away from climaxing from this thread. These replies came super fucking fast, probably all they wanted.
>>
Because movies are dead set on being murderous and grim dark.

This is the balance the Universe created. It's in the name.
>>
>>89908873
This isn't a toddler show, but it does have tone or pacing problems.

I agree with this. It wouldn't be so bad if more fans were willing to accept it.
>>
File: IMG_1096.png (623KB, 1024x1301px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1096.png
623KB, 1024x1301px
>>89908982
>>89909045
Just wanted to give some helpful advice to OP, if you're gonna do something, you've got to do it right.
>>
>>89909284
Whatever you gotta keep telling yourself to believe you didn't fall for the bait you've seen a hundred times.

Maybe I'm falling for your own bait right now.
>>
>>89908873
Its made for the nu generation. Predominantly progressive and left wing, every character is a winner/gets a trophy, there are no real villains, everyone uses their library voice (loud noises upset hypersensitive autists), and non-subtle references out the ass to anime/video games/internet memes.

It was made to generate YouTube hits and tumblr reblogs. Nothing more, nothing less.
>>
>>89909158
You forgot, "Except you Kevin. Fuck you Kevin you rapist. Lars you're still cool though."
>>
>>89908982
As far as a SU shitpost thread goes, this is by far the most tame way to start it. The most insulting word used was "bland". Didn't even throw out buzzwords like Tumblr, SJW, CalArts.
>>
>>89909407
How are we going to teach little girls it's okay to stand up to people who eye rape you? This is an important show that teaches kids important life lessons!
>>
>>89909158
Yeah Steven is a gay little fuck but I like some of the gems despite their recent character butchering
>>
File: IMG_1898.gif (891KB, 317x215px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1898.gif
891KB, 317x215px
>>89909302
>>
File: 30.png (349KB, 440x555px) Image search: [Google]
30.png
349KB, 440x555px
>>89908873
I already gave it a chance and it fucking bored me with the first half of the second segment of the first episode. how the fuck am I supposed to get past the turtle speed pace and lazy climax.

meanwhile i'll be checking Star. I know it's gonna be manic pixie girl bullshit but at least I can hope it won't be BORING
>>
>>89909302
I'm the first guy you responded to and I think it's pretty obvious what he's doing. Do you and I have the same definition for "fall". Now, as I had done previously, >>89909321 (You)
>>
>>89909649
Yes, falling means posting in this thread at all, even if it's to say "BAAAAIT". You think shitposters give a shit about two or three people who call out their bait when 15 people take it?
>>
>>89909628
>meanwhile i'll be checking Star. I know it's gonna be manic pixie girl bullshit but at least I can hope it won't be BORING

You're in for a treat, so hang onto your seat. You're in for adventure and remarkable feats.

Also,
>Leni
Good taste, anon.
>>
>>89909628
Star is pretty good. It does have a few boring and skippable episodes, but not as many as Garbage Universe. Likewise, the humor is better, the characters aren't an eyesore to look at, the battles are more fluid and visually pleasing, and the lore is better written and more interesting than "Star is a genderless alien from Butterfly Homeworld who is currently hiding out in California City".
>>
>>89908873
I find the animation and artstyle to be generic, bland and disgusting.

The plot and characters are fine, actually quite decent, if you dont mind a bit of leftish propaganda.
>>
its for baby people
>>
>>89909700
So you're willing to give OP satisfaction yourself to call me a dipshit?
Was replying to my bad bait part of your plan?
>>
>>89910120
I don't give a shit about satisfying OP or not. I will reply in this thread all day long, it doesn't bother me to give this thread replies.

It does bother you though. And filling it with replies isn't the way to counter a shitposter. If you wanted to piss off OP, you should have just dumped hundreds of SU images.
>>
>>89908873
>it legitimately feels like it's aiming for a toddler crowd.
No, it's for the manchildren. People well into adulthood who enjoy feeling like kids.
That's why all the softer traits in this show are so prevalent.

I really wish they stuck with the pilot, because that was much more interesting than lmao aliens.
>>
>>89910239
>I'm not mad! You're mad!
Not even a little senpai. I have work to put off :^)
>>
>>89908873
maybe its OK for good things to happen filth nigger
>>
>>89910635
>Hand you a way to piss off shitposters
>LOL ROFL I DON'T HAVE THE TIME, BAITER ;)

You could burn off at least a few pounds with how hard you're backpedaling.
>>
>>89910719
>Replies with greentext about a shitty way to fail to upset a bait poster

Are you baiting now?

>Didn't even read my post

Really that's just hurtful.
>>
>>89910921
So please explain what greentexting a passive-aggressive, "I'm not mad! You're mad!" means, despite me showing no animosity in the post you replied to.

Regardless, it's hilarious you tried to call out OP's bait yet stayed around for an in-thread pissing contest.
>>
>>89909321
>su
>quiet

take your reactionary bullshit elsewhere nigger. same with op
>>
>>89910952
You literally said "I don't care . . . but you [care]". In what sense did I not paraphrase you /exactly/?

And you mean to say that I accurately called out a bait post but yes we're here in a pissing contest. What's your point?
>>
File: wartimeline.png (1MB, 520x1920px) Image search: [Google]
wartimeline.png
1MB, 520x1920px
>>89909792
>the lore is better written and more interesting

wew lad. that's a fucking good one
>>
>>89911052
Because somehow you took that as me going, "I-I'm not mad! You are!". You said: >>89910120
>So you're willing to give OP satisfaction yourself
Implying I had the same annoyed attitude in giving this thread replies like you did, and I stated, no, I don't. Despite being a bait thread, I will still post replies to it. It pisses you off here though: >>89908982
And obviously so justifying by the fact that you think not giving a (You) somehow matters to a person who is the original poster in a thread.
>>
>>89911113
You realize Star also has lore that deals with war, right? Or do you think SU is somehow special and unique?
>>
File: itefight'.gif (1MB, 300x169px) Image search: [Google]
itefight'.gif
1MB, 300x169px
>>89908873
>not muh edgy comics

SU is already angsty enough, jesus fuck. I want end of Season 2 comfy feels back.

if anything the show spends too much time trying to establish that shit. theres only so many times you can describe the cluster in rigourous and horrifying detail before I just roll my eyes. (to be fair, the cluster is pretty fucked up eldritch tier shit)
>>
>>89911113
this isn't really that much more interesting than Pokemon's lore.
>>
>>89911150
I watch Star. There are many great things about that show. The dialogue recently has been consistently better then SU, the animation has a nice energy to it and the music is great.

The lore is not anything special. Just basic kids show with a bit more thought put into certain locations then SpongeBob.
>>
File: 1487010281499.gif (899KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1487010281499.gif
899KB, 400x225px
>>89911113
Who gives a shit about Not-Earth being taken over by the Not-Silicoids six trillion years ago or whatever.

Star has multiple worlds and dimensions, and Star's family history is better presented than some sap story about two fat fucks race-mixing to give birth to a retarded impotent fat fuck.
>>
>>89911253
There isn't much special about Steven Universe's lore either. It is only better than most cartoons right now, and still is pathetic compared to Voltron.
>>
>>89908873
I would love this show but Steven himself is very annoying. Reminds me of Chowder; just a shitty good-for-nothing lead character dragging the whole show down
>>
>>89911253
Star's lore has been much more fun to speculate on lately than Steven's.
>>
>>89911271
obviously many people anon considering the show is far more popular then star vs the forces of lmao xD puppies

just look how many views a day those youtube theory whores get with clickbait "SECRET SU LORE PEARL IS WHITE DIAMOND CONFIRMED" vids
>>
>>89911359
People do the same thing with Mario and MLP lore. Is the lore in Mario or MLP all that great?

Star fans don't need to look deeper into the series to enjoy it. It is satisfying just the way it is.
>>
File: marco hyde.png (878KB, 1080x1082px) Image search: [Google]
marco hyde.png
878KB, 1080x1082px
>>89911359
Because the only way SU fans get any lore is from clickbait YouTube videos whilst Star actually presents its lore front and center in the show.
>>
>>89911386
obviously not, but SU's lore is one of the big selling points even if you don't like it personally. the amount of theory vids is actually off the fucking charts compared to even the most popular shit right now. there are entire channels dedicated to autiscally analyzing every last su wiki page for every damn monster to add more context to the lore
>>
>>89911433
I was going to comment that that's because the show doesn't jerk us around as much as SU. But the fault for that is just as much on the scheduling as the writers.
>>
File: 1474401550422.jpg (23KB, 470x470px) Image search: [Google]
1474401550422.jpg
23KB, 470x470px
>>89911433
ok but an image was literally posted 10 minutes ago with tons of su lore, all presented through the dialogue

there's nothing to argue here, even if you don't like the way it's executed su objectively has a bigger story with way more substance

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L6d6sslsh74
>>
>>89909158
>One character tries to empathize with everyone
Therefore
>Every character is understanding
nope
>>
>>89911528
>bigger story
we've know the damn story, the characters have just been repeating the same 12 details for a season and a half
>>
>>89911456
How is the lore in SU better than the lore in Voltron?
>>
>>89911532
>The main character is the one who tries to empathize with everyone
Therefore
>Every character that interacts with him becomes understanding

It's boring as fuck when Steven predictably gives a little soapbox speech at the 8 minute mark with the same chiptunes music playing and everyone looks down and then replies with, "You're right, Steven. Let's focus, Gems! It's time to (INITIATE PLAN)".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2zzPLg7QkU
Look how fucking boring this is. 30 seconds of Peridot and Lapis softly yelling makes Connie respond with a 60 second speech about believing in yourself and your own abilities. She does the same fucking thing as Steven which is just give a boring speech. At the end, no one is mad, everyone is happy, soft music plays, it's fucking boring.
>>
>>89911571
I never said it's better than voltron
>>
>>89911528
What bigger story is that clip showing? It has Garnet's origin with a 12 second cameo by Blue Diamond and Rose and Pearl being rebels which we already fucking know.

Is Garnet's origin the bigger story? What exactly am I looking for here?
>>
>>89911456
>obviously not, but SU's lore is one of the big selling points even if you don't like it personally.

It's autobots vs decepticons. That's literally fucking it.
>>
>>89911586
yeah Jasper was real understanding. Same with the Diamonds. Bismuth. Lars. Kevin.
Also
>soft music
You're right man, did Lars Ulrich die for nothing?
>>
>>89911608
But the lore isn't even the best aspect of Voltron. So are you telling that a show that doesn't even put much effort into its lore has better lore than a show that puts all of its effort into lore.
>>
>>89911625
>Completely missing the point
Diamonds are sympathetic with each other to the point of being period pals. Bismuth left Steven with a tear in her eye and a hearty chuckle. Jasper is the only legitimate one who left on a sour note despite Steven still shouting, "I WANT TO HELP YOOOOUUUUU."

Lars is a joke and Kevin is one note who didn't have any character trait beyond being kind of a jerk and it's baffling why Steven hates him the most out of characters who have personally been assholes to him, but hey, that's bad feminist writing for you. I'll still be willing to give you those two characters just so you have some leverage in your argument because otherwise it'll be the entire town of very gentle and sweet Beach City + the Gems who learn their lesson after 10 minutes vs. Jasper.
>>
>>89909284
Heh, read this post in his voice.
>>
File: ahaha.jpg (54KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
ahaha.jpg
54KB, 1280x720px
>>89911612
This was literally the first appearance of a Diamond, and up until this point the Diamond Matriarchy wasn't fully established. With that one clip we get

confirmation of Diamond Authority and Sapphire's role in the gem caste system. the reappearance of the cloud arena used whenever steven is training, context for the first rebel attacks, a new regeneration for pearl, etc.

also the idea of certain gems belonging to a certain court, which has importance in jasper's character and the human zoo arc
>>
>>89911647
I literally don't watch voltron anymore so I wouldn't know

ill take your word that lore is good but all I can remember is what I saw as a kid
>>
>>89911701
>Steven had a stress nightmare over Jasper, Eyeball, Bismuth and Rose
>Eyeball tried to shank
>Diamonds are sympathetic to each other, despite 10 seconds later having their slaves sing a song about genocide of rose quartz gems
Everyone has their own view point, kind of the point of the show. I mean come on man, sometimes even Nazi's like to cuddle
>>
>>89911763
I'm talking about the new series on Netflix.
>>
>>89911731
That isn't a "bigger story", that's just context. A story would imply it's actually ramping up to something and considering SU has to give us 80 episodes just to tell us there were four Diamonds when we already saw them several times before in murals and paintings means they don't have shit.

It's like saying that time Billy and Mandy showed Grim's grandma was giving us hints to a bigger story about his family arch and how the whole Grim Reaper family line got started. It barely amounts to fucking anything.

>>89911770
For every one time there's a Gem trying to stab Steven, there's 15 instances of someone giving him a hug, high five, a comforting speech, being his friend, having a mild outburst over family problems, or admiring his optimistic attitude.

Quit acting like the show's overall tone is defined by that "one time Jasper got corrupted!". It's fucking not. The show is closer to being "Last One Out of Beach City" with the Jasper shit just being sprinkles to keep it from being a full on borefest.
>>
>>89911816
m8, he's always got friends. What? you go back to your hometown everyone makes it a point to not emphasize with them? What was your childhood anon, tell me.
Anyway, bad guys are bad guys, and they be better bad guys cause they got a few good points. And Steven just gets increasingly and increasingly more annoyed by it. Poor guy ahd to get his Uncle to fly him to Korea.
>>
File: caveman spongebob.jpg (10KB, 300x186px) Image search: [Google]
caveman spongebob.jpg
10KB, 300x186px
>>89911701

>Bismuth left Steven with a tear in her eye and a hearty chuckle.

she tried to fucking kill him
>>
>>89911858
Your first sentence has nothing to do with how lacking in tension the show overall has unless there is a direct villain (IE: Jasper) who is gone now. We only ever get minor threats like the Diamonds, Clusters, or Rubies who are dealt with and thrown into a freezer ready to be pulled out every 30 episodes or so so we can enjoy tons of more amazing fun of!...

Steven helping BEACH CITIZEN A with relationship problem.
Steven helping BEACH CITIZEN B with family problem.
Steven helping CONNIE OR GEMS with emotional problem.
Steven being told a story about Rose by his Dad.
And all of these are typically resolved with a hearty little speech or pat on the back and a group laugh. They may as well have a fucking freeze frame rather than a star wipe.

>>89911891
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eon0elF2slQ
Literally the last minute is Steven talking to her trying to sympathize with her as she weeps, does an anime chuckle, and goes, "You really are better than her". It could have ended with Steven stabbing, a look a shock, then poof, but I guess we need more emotional exposition to fucking know this is a dramatic moment for Steven. Despite the fact that most physical harm to Gems is instant, I guess that own rule is broken so we can have a goddamn minute long B-BISMUTH. YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND. I DON'T (WANT) TO HURT YOU.

This show can't go thirty seconds without someone getting on their soapbox and tearing up.
>>
>>89908873
Speaking as someone who genuinely enjoys the show, a combination of lesbians, DEEPEST LORE and crying.
>>
>>89911967
M8, with all Due respect, I am saying your argument that the show has no tension because Steven helps out townies is mighty dumb mighty duck. Like that one episode where he saves Kiki from her dream nightmares, is not some sort of foreshadowing, and that it somehow negates the 80 times he nearly dies a season. Come on Calzone keep it cool
>>
File: bow.gif (896KB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
bow.gif
896KB, 400x225px
>>89911816
this is advanced idiocy

also last one out of beach city is a great episode so you're point kind of tanked there. non action episodes are fine if done well. and su, especially in season 1 does that sitcom feel really well
>>
>>89911701

>it took YD telling peridot to destroy earth to finally get her to become a good guy
>jasper has attempted to murder steven multiple times and she only stopped because she got dog aids
>bismuth attempted to murder steven which ended with her getting fucking stabbed

WOW WHY IS EVERYONE IN THIS SHOW SUCH A BIG SOFITE, FUCKING FEMINISTS AM I RIGHT

>>89911967

>yeah but he didn't say a cool badass one liner when he stabbed her so was it really all that bad?

Goddamn you are such a huge fucking faggot, Steven could become a serial killer and you'd STILL find something to complain about.

>woooow i can't believe steven slightly hesitated before killing his seventh innocent victim, this show is just a little too soft for me
>>
>>89908873
It's not made by an idiot, so it's guaranteed a better resolution then Gravity Falls.
>>
File: jasper.gif (662KB, 365x205px) Image search: [Google]
jasper.gif
662KB, 365x205px
>>89911967
ok but that bismuth speech was fucking important because it was the underlying theme of the episode

you're complaining about nothing now. the whole steven and rose comparison was necessary. it wasn't "too soft" or whatever the fuck you're complaining about.
>>
>>89908873
>I need shows about assholes for mature cartoon viewers such as myself
>being accepting of others is something you should grow out of by grade school
>>
>>89912039
>run for your life
>(run for your life)
>it's steven's knife
>(it's steven's knife)
>>
>>89912013
>also last one out of beach city is a great episode so you're point kind of tanked there.
>I liked the episode, so you're objectively wrong!
Nope. That's not how it works.

>>89912011
Yes, when the looming threat of alien invasion is always behind but for some reason, the writers think STEVEN'S GOTTA MAKE LARS MORE POPULAR is a more urgent problem to solve, their own tension is fucking dropped hard to the point where the audience finally throws up their hands in relief to see some actual threat only to have it dissipate super quickly.

Look at Connie and the Gems episode. It could have been a fun episode with them fighting a monster. Instead it's them running a Car Wash. Fucking why? Why is that more exciting than them ACTUALLY defending the town like they were instructed to do so? Why does this show hold back its own potential? How is it we have a 5-episode arc of Steven going on a Diamond ship and all they do is tiptoe around with nothing actually exciting happening. Not even the sneaking around is that exciting because the instant they get caught, they immediately rectify it with no consequence. Back to the townies!

>>89912039
>>89912047
I know you guys must be autistic enough to not understand what a character is thinking unless they SAY their emotion, but that doesn't mean SU has good writing. Don't try to defend it.
>>
>>89912047
>saying your theme out loud
for what purpose?
>>
>>89911386
The lore in MLP COULD have been great. They fucked it up with Cadence, though.

Jesus Christ I can't get over how much Cadence fucked everything up.
>>
File: ha.png (121KB, 500x638px) Image search: [Google]
ha.png
121KB, 500x638px
>>89911967
the takeaway from the episode wasn't "WOAH STEVEN JUST STABBED BISMUTH...EPIC..."

sometimes the plot elements will be stretched to allow for god tier scenes such as bismuth's little speech at the end there
>>
>>89908873
This show is made by a woman who prides herself on being a bisexual even though she's dated Ian for a decade and wants to have a dozen trans characters and lesbos all while only being able to write dramatic moments as long as a character is crying.

Even her old works have character just crying by the end of it. She literally can't express sadness in any other way.
>>
>>89912093

Don't fucking move the goalposts. Your original complaint was that everyone was too understanding. Now that you've been proved wrong, you are switching the goalposts to something different.
>>
File: 1479707979971.jpg (73KB, 702x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1479707979971.jpg
73KB, 702x1024px
>>89912104
because silence literally wouldn't be anything. it would be steven stabbing bismuth and the direct comparison between his actions and rose would not be a part of the episode. they don't state the theme, they have bismuth say something before dying that is thematically important. wow, what a sin. this is intellectual loss of integrity, wahh
>>
>>89912130
>>89912183

No, the point of that is to show that Steven can be different from his mother which can be SHOWN by keeping the line of him saying to the bubbled Bismuth, "I will tell them about you". We have the emotional moment be more impactful by Steven not even being able to get a word in edge wise because the action is so fast and so shocking, Bismuth poofs instantly.

By having the characters just stand there, do cliche acting, sob, weep, bad speeches, explain the theme, then poof, you completely undercut your own emotional moment. By that point, "I will tell them about you" falls fucking flat.

>>89912174
Where did I move the goalpost? Or have you run out of things to refute with because you never had decent argument to begin with?
>>
>>89912093
Nah man, when a looming alien invasion is coming, there's nothing you can do because you don't know when or where it is coming, or even if it is really coming, yeah man let's switch body with the local donut man-guy. It's a fun time to be had.
Connie and the new gems was a means of exploring characters without over complicating the plot of a fun for the family show. Show how they interact as well as showing Connie's emotions while steven isn't there without directly saying she misses the action and wishes to be a part of something bigger then herself like a book protagonist or whatev.
Gotts to know how subtext works sometimes, whether its for analyzing a shows merits or trying to contact a dom over Tinder
>>
I like how this whole thread is obvious bait and one guy is funposting like a stoned surfer but it's still going on unironically. Nice
>>
>>89912202
>Thinking this show has subtext
>When literally in the same episode with Connie and Lapis + Peridot, she states the problem out loud and goes, "We need to solve it in our own ways and get better! As a team!!!".

Fucking boring.
>>
>>89912232
>Stating problems is evidence of no subtext
>Ignoring what I said like a true pepporoni stuffer
M8, come on, gotta try harder if you want a memorable screencap
>>
>>89912227
I really wish SU fans wouldn't take the bait so hard. Do they think they're going to convert shitters or something? The best thing they can do is let the thread die, but instead, they give the posters what they want by fuming because someone is making shit up about their show.
>>
File: 1476289363706.jpg (157KB, 1280x1154px) Image search: [Google]
1476289363706.jpg
157KB, 1280x1154px
>>89912197
lmao that would have been retarded and I'm glad you're not writing this show

I'm laughing at the idea of steven just saying that for no reason after literally shoving a sword through bismuths abdomen and condemning her to bubble world, as if that's any reasonable consolation to come to after a deadly battle
>>
>>89912255
>Stating problems is evidence of no subtext
That is the DEFINITION of no subtext. "Stating shit".

>m8 m8 m8 m8 m8
Doesn't make your posts seem any brighter.
>>
>>89912267
You're right, thank God for the brilliant writers who had her do generic Shonen acting of closing her eyes, chuckling, while both characters eyes were flooded with Miyazaki tears. All while Bismuth had a sword in her chest and just stood there even though all logic in the show has told us those poof reactions are typically instant. Phew, that's MUCH better.
>>
god, anyone responding to the anon just

please stop

this is why /co/ targets su fans so often and so easily...
>>
>>89912197

>Where did I move the goalpost?

I just told you.

>Your original complaint was that everyone was too understanding. Now that you've been proved wrong, you are switching the goalposts to something different.
>>
>>89912324
I was never proven wrong.
>>
>>89912278
Pally wally, you even listen to me? You learn about COnnies motivations through her actions. She didn't need to come to stevens house, but she did. Base doff her book reading and previous issues, she genuinely has a desire to be a part of something bigger and seek adventure, like a novel character. Wheres that stated? Where's her blatant monologue about the social pressures of school and family making her yearn for fantastical advenuteres? Huh? I'm gonna call you funon
>>
>>89912299
>DUH WHAT IS DRAMATIC TENSION OR USE OF TIME
>I THINK TV SHOWS ARE BOOKS

the silent part is very obviously extended to emphasize the hit. ti's no different from the amount of time that pearl was around after getting stabbed at the cloud arena
>>
>>89912319
Half this thread is just bait
>>
>>89912339
Okay, explain to me what you're doing here? Are you actually trying to reason with him? Because you seem to be trying to bring up actual points
>>
>>89912387
That is an underestimation.
>>
>>89912403
It's the internet brohammed founder of Broslam, I'm not gonna convince him anything. But I can have fun while making him seem silly in all kinds of places for arguing with a funposter
>>
>>89908977
>remember the scene where Amethyst impersonates Greg's dead wife and attempts to sleep with him?

this honestly confused me and feels like a plot point that was dropped.

So did Amethyst have a thing for Greg? It's never brought up again. Did they have some history because it's never really suggested it again though some of their dialogue suggested a possible sexual history

It feels like a weird anomaly now.
>>
>>89912431
I don't bring up the time I fucked my cousin when I am at Family reunions. I mean I'm sure it will come up but literally nobody involved wants it to
>>
>>89912339
>Where's her blatant monologue about the social pressures of school and family making her yearn for fantastical advenuteres? Huh? I'm gonna call you funon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpv2oa6kw5U
>MY PARENTS DON'T CARE ABOUT ME, I HAVE NO FRIENDS!!! SOB.

https://youtu.be/JMdeTNSO_gw
>I WANT TO BE TRAINED AND HELP STEVEN SO I'M NOT A BURDEN (like I keep stating I feel like I am with my parents)

https://youtu.be/GpesJo1x8Q8
>This entire episode which is Connie panicking about her parents being strict

https://youtu.be/9OelyJxDdIc
>MOM, I'VE BEEN DEALING WITH MAGIC BECAUSE YOU NEVER NOTICE ME OR TRUST ME TO DO ANYTHING!!!

Plus in the episode where Steven is avoiding her phone calls and she whines again about her family and lack of friends. She's literally bitched more about her family being strict than they've ACTUALLY shown up on screen. If that isn't bad writing of them doing "tell, don't show", I don't know what is.
>>
>>89912431
They used to hang out before Rose turned into Steven and watch shows together. Whether anything actually happened between them or not is unclear. I'd imagine not since Greg is the show's moral compass.
>>
>>89912453

Do you and your cousin ever talk about it?
>>
>>89911113
>an alien race starts colonizing the ancient earth
>a group of glorified alien eco-terrorists get uppity because they're hurting the animals
>the leader of the terrorists kills the official in charge of constructing the colony
>leadership cleanses the planet with a wmd
>they then use the planet to make an unethical super weapon
I mean, I guess you could make an OK sci-fi flick with that premise, but drip feeding it in between long bouts of singing, crying, and lackluster story telling doesn't make it anything special.
>>
>>89912559
funon please. She never states anything about her being a burden to her parents, you know that cause You CAN think analytically. But you're not making the right leaps. Her rush to adventure is never mentioned, her desire to leave EVERYTHING behind at a moments notice. She doesn't say she hates her life, but she even states she would switch with Steven if she had the chance. You gotta make the leap yourself. You understand her, but when did you? Individual scraps go together to make a whole picture but you keep eating the paste
>>
>>89912591
We don't even Talk. At all.
>>
>>89912650
>If I keep thinking I'm right, then I am!
You aren't refuting my points at all where her TELLING us about her strict parents, the fact that she got trouble in school that time, that she whines all the time about having no friends, and her saying, "I love the adventures you and the Gems go on!" is somehow more fun than actually SEEING shit. The strong points is when she actually goes on an adventure with Pearl and Steven. But that happens so rarely and they'd rather just have her tell us her problems, her likes, and dislikes than fucking do anything with it other than swing a sword once every 15 episodes.
>>
>>89912667

Because of that event or just grew apart?

Sorry if I'm prying, I'm just curious about how shit like that happens and its aftermath.
>>
>>89912693
Dude, are you even reading the text of the person you are arguing with right now?
>>
>>89912731
You mean the text where all they do is say m8 and funon to try and deflect because their argument is flailing hard and how they think they can't be disputed unless I find a clip that has word for word exactly what they're looking for?

Yes, I know I'm dealing with a retard. Typical SU fan, I knew that coming in. What's your point?
>>
>>89912720
Uhhhh, probably both. We were supposed to be babysitting some nephews and a niece, we had been separated a while. We were close in the past, but then her dad got a job in Japan I think, and we hadn't seen each other since. We started joking about how much we'd changed and how we both needed to lose our virginities and shit, then we snuck off, made out then fucked. We have maybe spoken like two words since, and it was like 6 years ago and Family reunions are twice a year
>>
>>89912693
Pally funon. For every episode we get Connie being whiny and small and weak, we have gotten an episode where she is fighting back and getting stronger. Her second episode was where she fought the training bot and we learned about tennis. Then the Rose room, then indirect kiss, But then we got Lapis's debut and that cool razzmajazz. And this has been consistent
>>
>>89912812
Literally half those episodes all have Connie just stating what she wants because she feels like ___. >>89912559

Also
>Pally funon.
Getting more and more desperate to be right. May as well be saying, "Oh little anon" to try and seem like you have a point.
>>
>show moves at a fifth of the pace it SHOULD be moving at because Steven is the least curious person in the universe and doesn't ask questions about ANYTHING

HOW DID YOU NOT OPEN THE CHEST OR POP BISMUTH'S BUBBLE THE FIRST EPISODE YOU WENT INSIDE LION?
>>
>>89912831
Bro I, am not, patronizing you. I, am being friendly. I, think, you, are, beautiful. Now, Funon, Half and half. Half subtext, half text. Half dull, half cool. You want what, 90/10 split? Nah, not happalappiling
>>
>>89912856
>I-if I just keep rambling, I can get the last word in and won't look like I lost!
>Yeah, that's it!
>Steven Universe is great!
>>
>>89912896
But bro, you got the last word in
>>
>>89912963
C'mon bro, don't you want to keep telling me how SU is the pinnacle of subtext?
>>
>>89912852
It's not just Steven, most of the humans in the show are surprisingly apathetic about the fact that there's a bunch of magical aliens/monsters that have been inhabiting the earth of thousands of years.
No tourist, no FBI making sure things don't get too out of control or covering up the Gem's messes, not even a curious scholar hoping to learn more about the Gem culture.
Especially the people of Beach City who have more reason than anyone to care about these things since they live in close proximity of them, but they're usually like
"The ocean disappeared? Oh, no our revenue!" "Giant Hand in the sky? Let's just stand there and stare at it instead of going to the people who probably know what it is?"
"A giant temple on this side of the beach? Well, here's you're mail Steven."
It's such a turn-off sometimes.
>>
>>89913200
Maybe it is just a wacky world like Star?
>>
>>89909628
>first half of the second segment of the first episode
wew
>>
>>89913200
it's an obvious thematic choice because rebecca doesn't want to talk about people being excited over gem stuff.

we'd have twice as many episodes about townies, and no one wants that.
>>
>>89908873
who cares. All that matters is whether or not you like it. If you don't, then just fuck off. Not that hard.
>>
>>89911816
>anon sure watches a lot of SU
>>
>>89908873
>it legitimately feels like it's aiming for a toddler crowd.

Sorry it's not as dark and gritty as your Japanese animes, edgelord. Don't worry, Naruto is streaming now on Crunchyroll.
>>
>>89913584
Danny Phantom feels more intense than Steven Universe.
>>
>>89913584
>>89913615
anything is more intense than Steven Universe, even Loud House, which doesn't even have any action element in any of its episodes.
>>
>>89911113

=_=

Have you ever played Dwarf fortress Anon?
>>
>>89908873

>the diamonds are going back to earth expecting a cluster
>no tension
>>
>>89914279

What exactly do you expect is going to happen?

Because, based off of precedent alone, I can practically guarantee that what actually happens will be 10 times more underwhelming than whatever you are imagining...
>>
File: IMG_5021.jpg (164KB, 1078x596px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5021.jpg
164KB, 1078x596px
>>89908873
It's a deliberate rebellion against the status quo. So many shows try their hardest to be exciting or funny or insightful, so Stephen Universe is subverting this by attempting none of that
>>
>>89914311
It seems pretty counterintuitive if you ask me.
>>
>>89911701
autism
>>
File: 1478054525204.png (223KB, 350x499px) Image search: [Google]
1478054525204.png
223KB, 350x499px
>>
>>89913430
>we'd have twice as many episodes about townies, and no one wants that.

You don't get what makes the townie episodes awful, though. If they actually gave a shit about gem stuff WE the audience would learn more about gems.
>>
>>89908873
Most shows that are popular have a few saving graces
If that's how you feel about it, that's fine, but give it a chance first
>>
>>89908873
I agree, actually. There's nothing thrilling about SU, nothing that can truly capture peoples hearts. If you like bad ukelele songs and pseudo gay "representation" SU is your cartoon, but in terms of depth it's naturally lacking.
>>
>>89915194
she used to be so cute and ditzy, what the fuck happened?
>>
>>89915821
Nothing?
>>
>>89914311
>most shows try being good, maybe if we DON'T try to be a good show the show will come out great
>>
>>89913465
>people still falling for this shit from someone who clearly enjoys the show

didn't the fucking barnefag teach you guys anything
>>
>>89914279
I don't know, the Earth was about to explode and the characters literally took a break to sing. Why exactly should this be any different than the boring Cluster Arc?
>>
>>89908873
I'm interested in the mystery and lore of the show but hate the execution. I only watch YouTube clips and have stopped with full episodes because they're often so underwhelming, and I gotta say, it's amazing how despite only watching episodes in 5 or 6 minute increments, how much I am able to keep up with talkback at the same level of people who binge the show.

It's amazing how much nothing happens in this show.
>>
File: 1482641912448.jpg (39KB, 400x310px) Image search: [Google]
1482641912448.jpg
39KB, 400x310px
>>89908873
The obnoxious character designs turned me off from watching the show altogether.
>>
File: 1486742156041.png (384KB, 875x514px) Image search: [Google]
1486742156041.png
384KB, 875x514px
>>89908873
The recent episodes bore the shit out of me.
Am I the only one ?
I'm not hating on the show, but it feels like it's going nowhere. You watch an episode and you feel like you just wasted your time.
Even "Star vs" episodes are more enjoyable than this.
>>
>>89908873
Do you notice how many spergs complain about "mean-spiritedness" in cartoons? Well, this is their favourite because it's not "mean-spirited". Apparently that's what matters.
>>
>>89917325
This show is crybaby-faggot spirited.
>>
>>89917325
A couple of those people are in this thread right now. Someone called their safespace show "soft" and they respond with extremes of, "Sorry it isn't like your Japanese hardcore gorey non-stop action scene edgy dark piece of shit!!!!".

No one even mentioned action scenes, and they still got defensive about that specifically because they know damn well Steven Universe has none and don't want to admit that maybe their favorite show could do things a little better.
>>
>>89911967
>Despite the fact that most physical harm to Gems is instant, I guess that own rule is broken so we can have a goddamn minute long B-BISMUTH. YOU DON'T UNDERSTAND. I DON'T (WANT) TO HURT YOU.
Dude, no, literally the first time a gem got poofed (Pearl) she was able to talk a little after getting stabbed.
>>
>>89916825
Working hard is important, but feeling good is important too!
>>
>>89917985
A little, not a whole speech.
>>
>>89916825
its important to have a high morale on a team.
with low morale and all members being stressed as fuck, errors are more likely to occur.
>>
Why is it that I can enjoy MLP a great deal, but Steven Universe is so boring?
>>
>>89918112
Yeah you're right, if the Earth were about to randomly explode right now and NASA was working to stop it, I would definitely think they deserve to take a couple of breaks now and then so they don't get too stressed out and have low morale.

Fuck off, anything you try to justify it, it still boils down to the fucking planet is about to explode and they stop to sing. Even Peridot asked why the hell aren't they still working and Steven stopped her progress to sing to her, too. If they wanted to take a break and be lazy fucks who don't take things seriously, fine, but don't stop progress 100% by forcing the engineer to take a break, too.

It's just shit writing because this show is singing and crying.
>>
>>89909471
>kid is homeschooled his whole life by space moms, started puberty late
>is a gay little fuck

Checks out.
>>
>>89915821
An obvious photoshop.
>>
>>89918187
>this show is singing and crying.
they singed, then its OK.
>>
>>89918547
what?
>>
>>89908873
The audience is caters to cannot take any form of conflict whatsoever
>>
>>89920147
Careful! Everytime you say that, a SU autist pops out of the forest to remind us of the few amazing instances where there was conflict because it happens so infrequently, they're literally able to remember every single instance of it. And it's almost always:
>Amythyst shapeshifts as Greg's Dead Wife! (They never say Rose in this scenario)
>Bismuth
>That time Ruby pulled out a knife (Even though they were dumb the entire time, I guess that Ruby was now smart for a moment because of plot convenience)
>Jasper (Even though her final battle was against a Sonic OC fat fuck who made bad puns)

Bonus points if they link the Malachite fight as an example of an "exciting battle".
>>
The show is garbage and everyone who likes it has a serious mental deficiency
>>
>>89908873

It is for toddlers, just like everything else on Cartoon Network.

>How is such a bland show getting critical acclaim?

SJWs.
>>
File: lol.jpg (166KB, 500x830px) Image search: [Google]
lol.jpg
166KB, 500x830px
>>89912227
Wow you sure showed us how you got the higher ground
>>
File: images (11).jpg (10KB, 232x217px) Image search: [Google]
images (11).jpg
10KB, 232x217px
I never stop being mad that Steven is still trying to be friendly to Jasper, Eyeball and the Diamonds but hates some random earth teenager who's actually a better person than Lars or Sadie.
>>
>>89912140
>Prides herself on being bisexual
She mentioned it ONCE when someone directly asked her and has only ever brought it up since when explaining an element of the show that meant something to her because of it.
>>
Maybe I like comfy shows with nice soft aesthetics sometimes
>>
>>89924849
I don't think Kevin's irredeemable either but how is he not worse than those two?
>>
File: 123412412.gif (2MB, 500x300px) Image search: [Google]
123412412.gif
2MB, 500x300px
>>89908873
Just cut out the vast majority of the filler episodes and the show would be infinitely better honestly, when the actual plot starts to kick in the show is pretty decent, nothing genre changing amazing but decent.
>>
>>89927024
Lapis was the most disappointing character ever, had to introduce her so cool then she's a boring mope. Wish she just left off to find homeworld and never appeared in the show again until towards the end or something.
>>
>>89918152
Because MLP is a show with no real overarching plot and mostly just magical horse shenanigans, what works is that the MLP world is so unlike our own and the characters all have such conflicting personalities that they can usually work each of their "filler" episodes into something decent.

SU on the other hand was written with a decent interesting plot that we get small tastes of and want to see progress, but instead get cucked 90% of the time with "Steven (who in this episode never uses gem powers because magic isn't interesting I guess) helps a random person deal with their moderately stressful part time job"
>>
File: [triggered].png (318KB, 849x479px) Image search: [Google]
[triggered].png
318KB, 849x479px
>>89927098
Every cool new character ends up like that really.

Peridot was introduced as a cold and calculating scientist/engineer and eventually degraded into "lulz so randumb Dorito! XDXD!"

Jasper was introduced as the perfect quartz warrior and turned full jobber

YD's build up was god-tier and her reveal turned her into meme faced giraffe
>>
>>89920485
And the whole abuse and consent arc around Sardonyx that literally tore Garnet apart.
The double episode they spent convincing Steven's uncle to not throw Lapis and Peri off his land.
The spat between Steven and Amethyst over her feelings of inadequacy that spiraled into a big fight in which they destroyed half the arena.
Every fucking time Pearl and Amy are at each other's throats.
The whole end of S01 and beginning of S02 where they fight Peridot.
The body horror of Silent Hill- grade shard zombies attacking Steven and Connie in Nightmare Hospital.
That time Lapis stole the oceans and tried to drown everyone.
>>
>>89908873
Still not past season 1a huh OP?
>>
>>89927098
This, they have no personality whatsoever, I get they were going for a "Oh shes depressed" but it just didn't work very well, theres a lot of directions they could've taken her character but this just fucking sucks
>>
>>89912431
It probably was what it was. They watched TV together a lot when Rose died, Greg started to move on, and Amethyst exploded at him like she did in the episode. People just read too far into the junk joke earlier in the episode.
>>
>>89927232
>Peridot was introduced as a cold and calculating scientist/engineer and eventually degraded into "lulz so randumb Dorito! XDXD!"
Cold and calculating Peridot lasted all of one scene. She was much better as a stressed out flunky who just wanted to do her job.
>>
File: 1423278909675.jpg (48KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
1423278909675.jpg
48KB, 640x480px
>>89909407
>mfw they literally made a dumblr culture episode
>>
>>89911253
>The lore is not anything special. Just basic kids show with a bit more thought put into certain locations then SpongeBob.
>SUfags think SU's shit worldbuilding is good
>>
>>89930088
The only time she was ever remotely serious again was in Gem Drill. Why can't she ever be like that again?
>>
>>89930088
All of her previous phases from saturday morning cartoon villain to window into average homeworld mentality were better than what she is now, the barn is where plot and characterization goes to die.
>>
>>89908873
I honestly can't put it into words. For some reason I was really attracted to this show. Probably not much was airing back then, and AT was starting to just become "toodeepforyou" the show.
>>
>>89911731
By that point in the story we knew about the diamonds for 30 or so episodes
Thread posts: 197
Thread images: 30

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.