[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I was wondering what are considered the essential runs of Avengers?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: epting-new-avengers-buzzkill.jpg (179KB, 1000x510px) Image search: [Google]
epting-new-avengers-buzzkill.jpg
179KB, 1000x510px
I was wondering what are considered the essential runs of Avengers?
>>
busiek
>>
>>89836549
- Stan Lee and Don Heck's "Cap's Kooky Quartet" era (issues 16-30) famous for kicking out the original team and becoming a team of ex-villains, established the Avengers as the book whose roster is always changing

- Roy Thomas took over the book and had the longest run, the key issues are 57-58 (introducing the Vision) and 89-97 (Kree-Skrull War)

- Steve Englehart used the book for wacky cosmic stuff and development of the Vision/Scarlet Witch relationship and Kang the Conqueror as the main villain. See issues 129-135 (Celestial Madonna saga)

- Roger Stern had a long run on the book whose most famous arc is the "Masters of Evil" storyline that eventually inspired Thunderbolts (270-277)

- Kurt Busiek had a long and successful run of which the two most famous stories are the Ultron Unlimited storyline (Avengers v3 issues 19-22) and the Kang Dynasty (Avengers v3 issues 41-55)

Brian Bendis then had a long run with a mostly revamped team, introduced the Avengers Tower and a bunch of other things. I can't say I know which are the best storylines from his run.
>>
>>89837329
Thanks. I've read most of the modern stuff but am going to check Busiek's work.
>>
>>89836549
Check out The Ultimates and The Ultimates 2 by Mark Millar - it's the ultimate universe rendition of the Avengers. It's a very modern take of the classic themes, revamping the characters, while keeping them familiar. The story of the Miller runs is superb, and serves as a huge inspiration to the movies
>>
>>89836549
>Avengers

isn't that the illumnati???
>>
>>89838825

This.

BUT FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DON'T READ 3
>>
>>89839320
If want to laugh and cry he need to read U3.
>>
Busiek is definitely the watermark, but IMO the Avengers never really had a can't miss, ultra defining run like Morrison and Waid on JLA.

Bendis (even if he annoys me), The Ultimates and Hickman are the best and more relevant "modern" runs.
>>
>>89839455
I think the problem is that the Avengers doesn't have a definitive lineup the way JLA does. Its identity is based on the fact that the lineup is always changing.

Everyone knows the "classic" JLA lineup has to include a bunch of big heroes + Martian Manhunter. Avengers has the big 3 but they rarely do much in the book, and mostly it's been the story of a bunch of B and C list characters, so everyone has a favorite lineup.
>>
File: 1461716824843.jpg (445KB, 853x1100px) Image search: [Google]
1461716824843.jpg
445KB, 853x1100px
>>89836549
Stern and Busiek runs are the best, with Avengers Forever being the crowning achievement of the whole series.
>>
>>89839455
Being relevant isn't really important at all unless you actually want to actually read modern trash.
Millar Ultimates are alright but I prefer oldschool Avengers so much more to the simpified "movie versions" of the characters.
>>
>>89839455
Gruenwalds Squadron is the defining JLA run
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.