[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why are there so few kids cartoons with 22 minute episodes these days?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 3

File: gravity_falls_cast_pic_6471.png (157KB, 350x205px) Image search: [Google]
gravity_falls_cast_pic_6471.png
157KB, 350x205px
>>
too much effort and most cartoonists would't know what to do with that much time
>>
>>89791778
A lot of 11 minute cartoons seem like they're rushing to fit the whole episode into 11 minutes
>>
Going with 11 min is a lot easier. Most episodes don't take up more than that anyway and if they do, you can alway split the plot into several parts.
>>
>>89791724
Some current 11-minute cartoons are board-driven rather than script-driven, and so doing a bunch of storyboards for 22-minute episodes on time wouldn't be feasible.
>>
>>89791875
Are most 22 minute cartoons script driven?
>>
>>89791957
Probably; Gravity Falls definitely was.

I wanna say there are more cartoons that are board-driven compared to a decade or so ago, maybe even in the '90s, but I guess that's hard to determine. There have probably always been a mix of both but I think more are script-driven.
>>
11-minute cartoons don't require commercials breaks.
>>
11 minute cartoons are easier for the the kind of kids that have many things competing for attention. They might not want to watch the same thing for an entire half hour.
>>
>>89791957
Definitely. Samurai Jack is the only 22-minute cartoon I can think of that was board-driven, and that was only feasible 'cause the show's pacing was always drawn out for a more cinematic effect.
>>
>>89792319
I guess not
>>
>>89792546
So kids have not attention span?
>>
>>89793987
They do no
>>
>>89791724
What do you mean now a days

Majority of cartoons have always been a shorter format although they did use to couple episodes into 30 minutes which they don't really bother with anymore
>>
>>89791778
LOOK! A FAG THAT KNOWS NOTHING ABOUT ANIMATION AND IT'S PROFESSIONALS!
>>
>>89794742
Dexter used to have 7 minute episodes.
>>
File: 1486577666176.jpg (142KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
1486577666176.jpg
142KB, 1280x720px
The Lion Guard has 22 minute episodes and it's a cartoon for babies. Kind of makes you think.
>>
>>89791724
Kids don't have that long of an attention span any more.
>>
Pig Goat Banana Cricket has 22 minute episodes, surprisingly enough.
>>
File: event-5549409.jpg (90KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
event-5549409.jpg
90KB, 1200x630px
>>89793987
>>89794650
Quality banter
>>
>>89791724
because adventure time was popular.
>>
>>89795380
That explains a lot
>>
>>89795380
Unfortunately.
>>
>>89795260
to be fair PGBC is pretty much four 6-minute episodes smashed into one
>>
>>89791724
>these days
It was always like this.
>>
>>89799526
Not really. Even when a show consisted of two eleven minute epiosdes, networks ALWAYS aired them together. 11a would premiere right alongside 11b in a half-hour block.

When Chowder and Flapjack premiered, and in the first year-or-so that followed, Cartoon Network continued to honor that tradition. But near the end of their runs, the network started splitting the episodes up. They would air episode 11a next to a re-run of 10b.

I hated that change. I still hate referring to an eleven minute episode as an "episode". To me, both 11a and 11b make up episode 11. Production codes still speak the truth.
>>
>>89799595
DisneyXD shows still seem to do that, at least
>>
>>89799795
The new SvtFoE episodes this week are the first time that Disney XD's ever premiered separate episode segments for the show. I really hope that's only because we're getting daily premieres and that once the schedule returns to regular, weekly premieres, the full half-hours of new Star will continue (as well as with all the other shows).
>>
Gravity Falls would have benefited from only being 11 minutes per episode IMO
Get rid of all the filler/unimportant characters like Wendy and Pacifica
>>
>>89800607
I don't know, I found the 22 minute episodes to be refreshing considering that most kids show episodes tend to be short these days.

But yeah, remove Wendy and nothing of value will be lost.
>>
What's interesting with Gravity Falls is how into Season 2 they started cutting down the intro just to fit in more content, starting with Northwest Manor Mystery, and then made Tale of two Stans extra long.
When they have a good story to tell, 22mins is worth it.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.