[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What if...Superman got political?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: DC Trinity.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
DC Trinity.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
How would a comic be received if Superman (or some other hero) got involved in politics? Like, let's say Metropolis has a Proposal coming up on whether to expand the subway into a less fortunate part of time and it looks the Proposal is going to lose. And one day after Superman saves a burning building, he's randomly asked about the subway expansion plan and he's like "Why not? It'll create jobs for the people in the area and cause more businesses to open.". And then the Proposal passes by overwhelming margins. And then Superman realizes that by speaking out on certain issues, he could massively affect public policy. What do you guys think of doing a comic run about this?

Of course, probably half of the readership would be pissed off.
>>
>>89769011
>'s randomly asked about the subway expansion plan and he's like "Why not? It'll create jobs for the people in the area and cause more businesses to open.".

You need to read enough Superman to understand that it's a conscious decision for him to stay out of politics of all kinds for exactly this reason.

> yes, but what IF

this is like asking what if Batman added firearms to his belt
>>
Clark stays out of it as Superman on purpose. What you're talking about is something he might do as Clark Kent in his writing. Exposing corruption and such is fairly common for him.

And "or some other hero" is fairly broad. You have literally rulers of countries who are superheroes and whose stories obviously have dealt with politics because of it.
>>
>>89769011
Why don't you just put the whole world in a bottle?
>>
>>89769070

But I was thinking, in a way superheroes are only addressing the symptoms of a broken society. How many robbers and murderers and abusers does Superman catch before he starts wondering "how do I stop more of these people from existing in the first place". How long until Superman (while still stopping bad guys) starts to wonder how to address the root of the issues plaguing Metropolis? I feel like this would be a natural and human thing to wonder about.

I can see it being like a "soft" Injustice. Superman doesn't go crazy and he doesn't try to control people, but he realizes that by speaking out on certain issues, he can massively sway public opinion due to his popularity?

Superman sees the good work that domestic violence shelters do for battered men and women? He sits down with a reporter to talk about the importance of donating to charities. He comes across a homeless woman suffering from hunger (like in Peace on Earth)? He gets in front of a camera and urges people to donate to their local soup kitchen.

I feel like it could set up a great argument between Batman and Superman with Bruce condeming Clark for meddling in human affairs and Clark saying that superheroes meddle anyways by stopping crime. This is merely one step further. Kind of like a reversal of the "We've always been criminals" line from "All Star Batman and Robin".
>>
>>89769347
>I can see it being like a "soft" Injustice. Superman doesn't go crazy and he doesn't try to control people, but he realizes that by speaking out on certain issues, he can massively sway public opinion due to his popularity?

Slippery slope.
>>
>>89769011
never good. and will never work, for one simple reason.

the author of such a work will always have his or her head so far up their own ass, their political opinions will be totally shit. No author would dare to write and try to define Supermans point of view, if they actually had enough self awareness, foresight, or empathy to correctly write Superman's politics.

Instead, what you will always get is author mouth pieces as they preach from on high, to the gross dirty dumb masses which need to be shamed for not being the enlightened author who knows what is best for them.
>>
File: 654.jpg (99KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
654.jpg
99KB, 900x900px
>>89769476
I knew this thread was a /pol/ raid the second I saw it.
>>
>>89769476
>Instead, what you will always get is author mouth pieces as they preach from on high, to the gross dirty dumb masses which need to be shamed for not being the enlightened author who knows what is best for them.

The storyline would have to walk a tight rope and would probably piss off half of the viewership no matter which side of the aisle Superman tended to come down on. They'd have to keep things general like "abuse is bad" and "corruption is bad" - that kind of thing. Or they could have Superman go in a different direction where he's like "fuck all this nationalism bullshit, y'all should be trying to colonize SPACE". You know, because even though he's basically human, he's seen enough that he has a "big picture" view of humanity.

>>89769397

Well, that would be one of the points brought up in the run. Is it fair that someone like Superman should try to influence society due to his outsized influence? Is this what Lex Luthor fears? Human society being directed by an alien?

Has any hero had a run like this where they realize that due to their influence and popularity, they can massively influence politics just by speaking out about an issue?
>>
>>89769476
Have you ever read Golden Age Superman?

His point of view was very well defined. Not his fault if DC later pussied out on that and just made him vague.
>>
One of his oldest feats was evacuating and dismantling a ghetto, forcing the local government to rebuild it into something less shitty.
>>
>>89769011
Grounded

G R O U N D E D
>>
>>89769681
>Has any hero had a run like this where they realize that due to their influence and popularity, they can massively influence politics just by speaking out about an issue?
There's Green Arrow and the Question. Though Question used his Civilian identity as a political pundit and more often then not he'd be ignored.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.