[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Magic in 616

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 3

File: DrStrangeSorcerersupre27-15.jpg (158KB, 612x564px) Image search: [Google]
DrStrangeSorcerersupre27-15.jpg
158KB, 612x564px
So according to the Marvel Handbooks, there are 3 tiers of magic. First is psychological; projection, telepathy, meditation shit. Simple stuff. Third is the big spells; shunting energy from abstract dimensions (Cytorak/Valtorr/Watoomb etc) into your own. Makes sense.
What I don't get is the middle one. Second-tier magic is that drawn from around you in your own dimension. But there ISN'T magic in your own dimension. That's what makes it magic; it breaks physical laws because it's from places with different physics.
Anybody know more about this? Has it ever been further elaborated upon? Any good examples to offer? The lack of them might be why the description's so vague.

Does it refer to cosmic energies?
>>
>>89626446
>Magicians can tap this power for many effects, such as teleportation and energy bolts. By definition, this is derived from Eternity. These generally involves actual casting of spells and may be limited to the main dimension learned and may not work in others.
>>
>>89626446
>Magic in 616

"It is magic, we don't have to explain it"

Joe Quesada, unironically.
>>
File: 1433121615770.png (143KB, 332x394px) Image search: [Google]
1433121615770.png
143KB, 332x394px
>>89626559
>By definition, this is derived from Eternity
So it IS cosmic energies!
What's the source? Did I just overlook it?
>>
>>89626680
>listening to quesadilla
besides this lore is pre-bankrupcy
>>
>>89626446
Pretty sure it means the random ambient magical energy that is always present in the physical world. The same stuff that most of the gods use or are made up of like Gaia, Neptune etc.

>>89628758
Usually Eternity but most of the bigger spells are taken from whatever abstract entity needed.

Strange loves casting Crimson Bands of Cytorrak to snare people all the time and that is the same shit Juggernauts armor is made of.

He randomly draws from Master Chaos and Lord Order too, sometimes from Agamotto, who cut him off for a while back in the 90's.
>>
>>89631609
Cytorrak's an extra-dimensional entity, that's tier 3 magic.
>The same stuff that most of the gods use or are made up of like Gaia, Neptune etc.
We don't necessarily know what that energy IS though. Just that it's vaguely defined as "life force". It's just as likely cosmic in nature, like Galactus or Ego.
>>
>>89631609
>He randomly draws from Master Chaos and Lord Order too
When was this? I've been wondering about them.
>>
>>89626446
Type 1: internal energies manipulation
Type 2: local external energies manipulations(which means other's\ambient psych energies and even "just" Electricity and "normal" energies)
Type 3: extra-local(other dimensions) energies manipulation(basically super-imposing another reality on the reality you are on)

All magic comes through Chaos-Order manipulation: you can do anything(Lord Chaos) but the way you ACCESS the ability do do anything is ordered(Master Order)
>>
>>89634855
>All magic comes through Chaos-Order manipulation: you can do anything(Lord Chaos) but the way you ACCESS the ability do do anything is ordered(Master Order)
Source on this?
>>
>>89634874
old Doctor Strange issue, fuck if I can remember what.

It stuck in my mind because it fucking MAKES SENSE with Order and Chaos being the patron abstracts of Magic
>>
>>89634910
Was In-Betweener in it? I've got that on a USB atm to storytime.
>>
>>89635041
I think he was references, but it has been YEARS since I've read that story
>>
>>89634855
>All magic comes through Chaos-Order manipulation: you can do anything(Lord Chaos) but the way you ACCESS the ability do do anything is ordered(Master Order)

So how does our new SMT overlord Logos effect this?
>>
>>89635074
Shit in the arc I'm thinking of he was the main antagonist.
>>
File: 1403852831838.gif (400KB, 320x180px) Image search: [Google]
1403852831838.gif
400KB, 320x180px
>>89635140
QUICK TWEET EWING
>>
>>89634092
>We don't necessarily know what that energy IS though.
yes we do. its story energy. gods are straight up living myths.
>>
>>89635140
Simple: most magic goes kaput because it's unlikely the Order-controlled Logos would let much Chaos happen.

Harder rules to follow, less freedom in effects.

>>89635239
not all: the oldest ones are actually made of the local planet Life Energy(it happened on Earth, but it's likely it happened the same way on other planets)
>>
>>89635239
Story is what shaped them. Not the raw material that was shaped.
>>
>>89635239
>>89635558
*What was shaped being the processed life energy mentioned by >>89635508
>>
>>89635603
the Elder Gods did pop out when the Earth was young and there weren't sentients, yet

It's likely they got reshaped by Stories over time, though
>>
>>89635780
Yes, and when the Elder Gods all got BTFO the new(er) Gods were created from the godstuff of their corpses. It just kinda hovered there, aimlessly. Human imagination gave it form.
>>
>>89634119
It was a while ago, mid 80's I think. I remember the In Betweener was not at all fine with Strange's use of their energies for his own purposes.
Thread posts: 23
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.