[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

/doag/ - "Dumbing of Age" is for Girls

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 298
Thread images: 37

File: 2017-02-03-flunking.png (383KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2017-02-03-flunking.png
383KB, 1000x333px
Previous thread: >>no_thanks

Today's topic of discussion: Walky is flunking math, and I don't give a shit.

Predictions for future strips: We change scenes in a day or two and follow another story I don't care about.
>>
>>89615342
I have some sympathy.
I felt goddamn awful when my "natural talent" ran out and I had to actually start putting fucking work in to my studies.
>>
>>89615382
20 minutes into a freshman math is usually not when "gifted" kids hit that wall, unless they're getting wasted every night.
>>
>>89615517

Some gifted kids do burn out pretty bad from no more leash syndrome
>>
>>89615517
i breezed through high school and then stopped going to all my college classes like three weeks into the first semester

its not that inaccurate
>>
>>89615382
He's in a low level math course, it's the beginning of October, and midterms haven't happened yet, there is no way he's hitting the wall this fast.
>>
File: Joyce_doa.png (179KB, 425x750px) Image search: [Google]
Joyce_doa.png
179KB, 425x750px
Ew. The eyes always look weird when the characters faces get a close-up. If you look long enough they don't even look like eyes anymore.

Why is Joyce the only character without those weird-ass eyes. For some reason she's the only one who gets an actual pupil.
>>
File: 1462281531955.png (320KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
1462281531955.png
320KB, 1000x333px
>>89615879
I haven't read very much of Willis' comics before Shortpacked, but I suspect that the more ancient characters have proper eyes while the newer ones get those floaty black smudges.
>>
>>89615342
>omg i'm going to flunk and you're going to dump me because you're too perfect for me
>hey, stop calling me perfect
Dorothy a shit
>>
>>89615517
He said he took pre-calc his senior year. Gifted, he is not.

He really shouldn't have had a high opinion of his abilities in math to begin with. Surely there were dozens of kids who were 1 or 2 years ahead in math.
>>
>>89616260
Personally, I absolutely breezed through high school, but I avoided honors classes because I was a lazy fucker. Then I got to college and my first calc exam busted my ass wide open. I found out that not only did I need to actually study, I had to study HARD. But I went to a pretty bust-you-in-the-ass engineering college, so my experience might not be a great example.

The section average on most exams was very rarely higher than a 65%. I don't know if that's very unusual though.
>>
>>89615946
>I haven't read very much of Willis' comics before Shortpacked, but I suspect that the more ancient characters have proper eyes while the newer ones get those floaty black smudges.
But Walky himself has the horrible eyes.
>>
>>89616810
Exception which proves the rule.
>>
File: 2014-11-18-html.png (357KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2014-11-18-html.png
357KB, 1000x333px
>>89616647
I find that kind of unusual. The first calc exam is limits, L'Hopital's rule and some very basic derivatives. Like, nothing too insane, all very intuitive stuff. The kinds of things that the "naturally smart" kids should get easily.

Hell, most of calc one is pretty damn simple. The hardest part is understanding what a derivative really is, but once you get that it's just learning a bunch of rules.

I honestly feel like this is Willis being an idiot and not knowing the first thing about anything in STEM. I attached a comic that annoyed me quite a bit. For one, the class seems to have no coherence. First year programming classes usually pick a specific language, and teach the basics of programming. Instead they jump around from HTML to random shit like excel I think?
>>
>>89617001
holy fuck, Amber just annoys the piss out of me
>>
File: 11707968212091693349.png (448KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
11707968212091693349.png
448KB, 1000x333px
too tired to look over the art

But I like this page, writing-wise. It doesn't overly explain dorothy, doesn't overly explain walky, and all around the panels are clean enough.
>>
>>89615517
>>89615703
It's Willis' fault for wanting to do this storyline but not having the patience to wait for his own glacial storytelling to reach a realistic time.
>>
>>89617056
It's almost like he can make a good strip when he doesn't force a shitty punchline
>>
File: 2011-01-12-alex.png (310KB, 900x300px) Image search: [Google]
2011-01-12-alex.png
310KB, 900x300px
>>89617043
Oh I forgot to elaborate. What she did there is actually impossible. Unless her website installs malware on the computer that lets it force access to the printer. Like, fuck man, I don't know if that's common sense or not, but if you're going to write a supposed programming genius you could at least learn the basics of programming.

Another strip that annoys me. Just what...
>>
>>89617056
>soup kitchen
has that been mentioned at all before
i feel like it could have been but i definitely dont remember it coming up
>>
>>89617001
Again, it was a fairly bust-you-in-the-ass university. The exams were meant to see if you could truly apply the knowledge, not to see if you simply retained it. So they intentionally designed the tests to be focused on edge cases that strained the rules and forced you to go through hoops to arrive at the correct answer. In other words, they intentionally avoided anything remotely straightforward. It was very trying and the very consistent D section average is probably a good indicator of that.
>>
>>89617056
What the hell. that's actually a nice moment.
Bravo willis I knew you could make me not hat these characters!
>>
>>89617097
So does the university not have placement tests or something? Because I'm pretty sure that most do in order to prevent that exact situation.
>>
>>89617297
I have no clue.

Also update, Willis is just retarded. Dorothy's given major is "Law". Joyce is studying elementary education, which doesn't have calculus as a prereq. Walky is allegedly a communications major, again no calculus required.

Didn't he attend university at some point? Does he not know how university works?

>>89617203
Ahh yeah, I hated it when my classes would get like that. In my experience the engineering mathematics classes focused heavily on application of the theory, thankfully. This was pretty nice for me, as I had a professor who did his undergrad in aerospace teaching me calc 3, so he knew tons about how the math was applied for engineering. Also mechanical engineering is basically married to calculus and differential equations, so I ended up using them a ton while learning them. Helped beat it in my head.
>>
>>89616647
>>89615670
I can see you really stopped trying once you got into college
>>
>>89617645
Did no one tell Dorothy that Law isn't an undergrad major?
>>
>>89617708
well, yeah. thats kind of what i said
>>
>>89617297
He probably tested well. My placement test was just a little thing done online that connected to our main school account where we register for classes. It wasn't super-hard or long.

I tested into a class that was slightly higher than what I needed for my degree. Tried taking it sophomore year and ended up dropping it after the first week or two. The first week was review, but all the homework was online, and it wasn't telling me what I did wrong. It was too stressful, so I took the $50 hit and withdrew when I realized that it was too stressful to be worth it.

I waited until my last semester in undergrad and took a super-easy version of the class, and my life was better for it.
>>
>>89617708
More like I didn't start trying until I got to college. Never studied a day in my life until college and then suddenly I find myself cramming just to stay afloat. Christ I'm glad I'm done with all that.
>>
>>89617843
I was referring to Amber, the apparent genius, getting stuck in a super entry level computer course. She should at least be in a low level programming course, not a "how do excel" course.
>>
>>89615342
at this point my least favorite part of the comic is how fucking real Walky feels.

i went to college and stopped going to classes when it got harder than highschool. didn't tell my girlfriend because she was getting ready to graduate a year early.
didn't tell my friends because they were fucking trash friends.
stayed up till 6am on /r9k/ in the dorm lobby, then once my roommate left, i'd go to bed miserable and alone.

i'm not saying willis has created a good character, but this specific arc hits too close to home.
>>
>>89617645
I just can't fathom how these characters could possibly be in the same math class.

>>89617767
That probably proves that Dorothy isn't as smart as she thinks she is. Also, why isn't she in Sarah and Jacob's classes?

>>89617948
Probably required as a part of the major. And she tried to get out of her class, but her advisor wouldn't let her.
>>
>>89618129
>That probably proves that Willis is as lazy as we think he is
>>
File: 2013-10-02-footforward[1].png (403KB, 1000x334px) Image search: [Google]
2013-10-02-footforward[1].png
403KB, 1000x334px
>>89615703
It's first year, but he is explicitly in a higher level math than his major requires (>>89583238), although I dunno why Joyce, Mike, Billie and Sal are taking it. This strip I remembered sheds some light that he probably got guilted/shamed into it by his parents so he can switch to Life Sciences to be a doctor later (although I'm pretty sure *that* math isn't that high either, explicit math and physics routes required higher, more theoretical math than the more applied math in the life sciences route at my school). Anyway, based on that and these posts >>89585082 and >>89585204 he's probably in V119.

Honestly the way Willis has sectioned off his courses just seems like he thinks he's doing a high school strip more than a university one. The main thing I remember is being split off from my friends because our majors needed different levels of calculus.
>>
>>89618034
>tfw in my mid-20s
>took a 3 year leave of absence
>back in college finishing up

Kek, I felt old back when I was just a normal senior on campus but now I feel really old compared to all the people who will probably graduate on time. Oh well.
>>
File: LeslieBeansGettinUpset.png (81KB, 183x325px) Image search: [Google]
LeslieBeansGettinUpset.png
81KB, 183x325px
>>89617056
The idea that Walky thought Dorothy would dump him because he's bad at math is pretty insulting. I mean, it's more of an issue of him being a lazy idiot, but even so it's pretty shitty to think that of a person. Also, when the started going out she thought he was an idiot anyway, so clearly that doesn't matter. Her being busy is a way better reason. (I had forgotten about the soup kitchen volunteering, Dorothy is kind of preposterously "good")

I do like the use of multiple excuses as Walky is trying anything to avoid facing his issues. It's just that I find this Dorothy character arc of "everyone thinks I'm too nice and perfect and hates me for it"to be fucking stupid as fuck. I really think he should've ended up going to Joyce for help.
>>
>>89618831
Walky seems like he's the whiny drunk here, not Dorothy.
>>
>>89618831
I think he is trying to juxtapose "everyone thinks she's too good" and "everyone thinks he's no good" to show some duality or some other nerdy thing I could write a literary essay about.

They both suffer from varying levels of expectations, both from themselves and from others. By colliding their two stories, they are able to make more sense out of their own worlds by collaborating through their difficulties.

If it were done by someone other than Willis, it could actually be done pretty well, if not at least the quality of a good cartoon episode. But Willis is making it whiny and trying to fit two pieces together by force. Plus, it has taken an eternity to get here. Not worth the invested time.

The only real way it would be worth reading at this point is if you had all the collection books in front of you.
>>
>>89618831
>The idea that Walky thought Dorothy would dump him because he's bad at math is pretty insulting

Exactly, we already know she's going to dump him when she gets accepted to Yale, the same reason she dumped Danny. Of course, that's never going to happen (literally, at the pace of the comic).
>>
>>89619478
I honestly forgot about that

Goddamn, Willis literally can't escape his own bullshit at this point
>>
>>89619478
I think there's a pretty big difference between stopping a relationship when distance makes it difficult because you're following your career path and dumping someone because they are doing bad in a class.

I'm not saying their relationship is going to last forever, but being bad at math/studying is the worst reason to end a relationship ever.
>>
>>89617056
This is actually the best strip he's written in years.
>>
>>89617056
It's a bit wordy, but it's actually a good strip. It shows Dorothy caring for Walky as more than just a fuck-buddy and cartoon pal, and Walky clearly cares for Dorothy as more than a fuck-buddy and... cartoon pal. Wow, is there really that little to their relationship?

Anyways, hopefully this isn't straight up the end of Walky's math woes. After all, we've seen before how willing Willis is to just end storylines without a second thought.

>>89617097
It's not necessarily impossible; my university has Print Anywhere access that allows you to connect to printers and, well, print anywhere.

As for coding an operating system from scratch, yeah that's impossible unless you have a lot of time on your hands.

>>89617645
Calculus may not be required, but math credits might be.
Why he didn't just take an easy class, I don't see. My university offers some kind of high-school level math course, I think. Something for retards and kids who want a class they can blow off with ease.
>>
>>89615382
>>89616647
>>89615670

Y'all are lucky

I went straight to college course shit from a high school that taught strict Young Earth Creationism.

I know friends who went into pre-med sciences after years of an education which didn't believe in evolution.

I still hate Willy but his stance on Fundie Christians isn't exactly inaccurate at times
>>
>>89621002
If you were faculty and physically on campus, you could log in to a special site that let you send print jobs that could remain in the system for up to an hour. It was awesome, and technically, any student could use it if they knew the URL, but we didn't tell them that.
>>
>>89621314
Neat.
The only limitations students have is their allotted printing budget. You can print as much as you like if you don't mind paying out of pocket when you print too much.
>>
File: Just Wanted To Study.png (160KB, 576x800px) Image search: [Google]
Just Wanted To Study.png
160KB, 576x800px
>>89615342
So.. when do you guys think we will have more of best girl?
>>
>>89615703
OH MY FUCKING GOD.

ARE THEY REALLY STILL FUCKING THERE?
>>
>>89617056
did somebody cut the last panel? this isn't total crap
>>
>>89616988
I don't think that means what you think it means. The exception that proves the rule is used regarding something like "It's not okay to punch Carla when Ruth's around". The exception proves that the general rule (It is okay to punch Carla) must exist.
>>
File: mary lays the truth.png (65KB, 256x333px) Image search: [Google]
mary lays the truth.png
65KB, 256x333px
>>89615342
>Dorothy
>"perfect"
But that's not Mary.
>>
>>89621041

if evaluation was real we'd know about it but when we look to the bibble there's noothing there according to elevation we all used to be monkies in the jungle then how come there still loads of monkies in the jungle and they dont keep turning into people? face it, everlution is just a liberal trick concocted by jews to corrupt our soft vunerable children in order to get them to turn away from good god almighty
>>
>>89617056
Wasn't she drunk when she got it in bed?
>>
>>89623128
She sobered up when walky told her he was flunking.
>>
>>89617001
>Hell, most of calc one is pretty damn simple.
While I definitely agree, I still managed to get a D in that class several times. Homework I'd breeze through, but when it came to tests I'd suddenly blank out. At least when I flunked Algorithm Design it made sense why, that shit was difficult.
>>
>>89623069

What in fuck are you on about, Frank?
>>
>>89621509
>>89622906
I like dottie way more than Mary. Mary's not even cute (except that one time)
>>
>>89617097

If he already had a connection to the printer from his tablet because he has admin rights on the network, all her button would have had to do is use the browser's print command.
>>
>>89621509
You know, it would be a better use of Dorothy's time to help Mary study in peace.
>>
File: Mary14.png (280KB, 450x896px) Image search: [Google]
Mary14.png
280KB, 450x896px
>>89625481
Mary can already study, she just needs peace.
>>
>>89625689
That heavy nose shadow looks like a fucking hitler moustache.

Luger shopped in her hand, when?
>>
>>89625689
No matter how often I see that thumbnail, I keep thinking Mary has a toothbrush moustache.
>>
>>89625689
great, now i'm going to see adolph mary every time i see this shot and have to wonder what the fuck is happening with her thumb
>>
File: 2016-09-09-intern.png (416KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2016-09-09-intern.png
416KB, 1000x333px
>>89627053
>>89627114
>>89627179
That is just how Willis draws noses nowadays.
>>
>>89629057
All Willis characters are inbred and suffer from severe nasal deformities.
>>
>>89629327
it's a real problem. allergy season kills thousands every year.
>>
>>89615879
Because Joyce is Willis' waifu which is what makes the mindbreak doujins all the more fulfilling
>>
>>89629931
>mindbreak doujins

Can I see those?
>>
>>89627053
>>89627114
>>89627179

Maybe someone can edit the image so it doesnt look like a Hitler mustache"
>>
>>89615517
I burned out at around Calculus in High school. So badly that I had to repeat pre-cal to keep my GPA up.

It can happen sooner than you think.
>>
File: MaryCuteFixed.png (323KB, 450x896px) Image search: [Google]
MaryCuteFixed.png
323KB, 450x896px
>>89630697
>Maybe someone can edit the image so it doesnt look like a Hitler mustache
I've gotchu, famiglia!
>>
>>89618129
My alma mater doesn't have a pre-law major and instead offers a list of courses that develop the knowledge and skills needed for law school.

I doubt Amber wouldn't have been able to test out of Comp-Sci 110, basic shit like MSWord and Excel is usually covered in classes that don't count for graduation.

>>89618828
>tfw in my early 30s
>dropped my senior year due to personal and monetary issues
>still haven't gone back

Honestly at this point I'd just feel embarrassed at graduation.
>>
>>89615879
Joyce has irises, but no pupils. All those shitty dot eyes are pupils without irises (or sclera).

Honestly I find Joyce's eyes creepier, its like they're glowing or something.
>>
>No Dewd

Ahhh, good thread.
>>
>>89619079
I really do think that DoA would improve twicefold if Willis just stuck to one storyline per chapter instead of sticking to that 'one day per chapter' thing and trying to balance every single goddamn thing that happens on that day.

It's so frustrating when you see these brief flashes of competency while knowing that he's just going to waste any goodwill you give him

>>89632026
Hey, better late than never. Besides, the way the job market's looking these days, a bachelor degree's a useful safety net.
>>
File: JoyceHookedOnSpice.png (194KB, 425x750px) Image search: [Google]
JoyceHookedOnSpice.png
194KB, 425x750px
>>89632115
>Honestly I find Joyce's eyes creepier, its like they're glowing or something.
Maybe she's an habitual melange abuser.
>>
>>89632115
What you see is the beginnings of the Eyes of Ibad, the blue-in-blue marking her addiction to the spice melange.
>>
>>89632026
I finished my degree at an advanced age, and I didn't go to graduation. I just walked into an office and they gave me the diploma. I'm sure if you contact your convocation department they could tell you if there's a similar process. That way you don't have to let embarassment get in the way of what could be a useful certification.

If you're too busy to do it, that's a different story. But I'd recommend it if you can finish without disrupting your life too much.
>>
Walky should flunk out and resort to shitposting on the internet while telling everyone he's 'smart but lazy'.
>>
>Eighteen people in Willis' cast page
And that's just his cast page; there must be at least three to five more than that who are regulars.

If you had to cut Willis' cast in half, from sixteen to 24 regular characters down to eight to twelve, who would you cut and who would you keep?

For reference, the cast list is: http://www.dumbingofage.com/cast/

I'd keep the following:
>Joyce
>Mary
>Dorothy
>Walky
>Sal
>Danny
>Amber
>Carla
>>
>>89632556
Realistically I don't won't have the time, or money, for it until next year at the earliest and even then I have a bunch of other things that need to be addressed.
>>
>>89632660
>Joyce
>Dorothy
>Walky
>Sal
>Amber
>Sarah
>Dina
>Danny
>Ethan
>Joe
>Ruth
>Billie

Nets you a decent spread of character interactions and personalities, though you could drop Ethan and replace him with Leslie if you want to be able to do a recurring focus on the faculty and staff side.
>>
>>89632608
If we take Walky to be an Avatar of Willis, then he already did.
>>
I like how all the relationships in this comic have troubles but are still worth fighting for, except if you have post traumatic stress disorder, in which case you're a disgusting piece of shit and you should get out of the way so your best friend can fuck your boyfriend.
>>
>>89635023
Danny and Amber broke up because Amber's an abusive asshole you retard. She should fucking kill herself.
>>
>>89635023
>Amber
>PTSD
>>
>>89635166
Amber does has PTSD, to the point of needing a superhero persona to handle her triggers. She's still an asshole.
>>
>>89635290
What's her triggers? A black woman? Hands being stabbed?
>>
>>89635290
She's a piece of shit and she should be locked up like the fucking rabid dog she is.

Fucking worthless sack of dog shit. People like her deserve to fucking die.
>>
>>89635346
Sal's a quadroon. But yeah, black chick and her dad.

>>89635379
Is there something personal you want to talk about, anon?
>>
File: 2016-03-11-physicality.png (318KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2016-03-11-physicality.png
318KB, 1000x333px
>>89635346
Actually, yes, Sal triggers Amber.
It's to the point that she blocks out whatever she says, even if it's casual conversation.
>>
>>89635607
People like Amber should kill themselves. They're bad people and all they do is hurt anyone who tries to help them. They're disgusting, worthless dog shit and the world is better off without them.
>>
I want to die so much. I'm never going to stop being a vile piece of shit and the only moral thing I can do is kill myself.
>>
>>89635697
Who hurt you, anon?
>>
I'm just going to hurt people all I do is hurt people I'm shit I' fucking dosghist dogshsit doghist I need to fucking die right now I need to fucking kill myself now worthless fucking worthless piece of shit I need to fucking die I need to fucking die I need to fucking die I need to fucking die I need to fucking die I need to fucking kill myself before I hurt anybody else it all i m capable of its all ille ever do to anyone im shit i shit im so fuckign hit im so rry sorry im sorry
>>
>>89635697
>>89635766
>>89636000
Y'know, when we started making DoA threads, I didn't think somebody would actually die.
You see, the irony is that Willis instated a "no death" rule when he made DoA, so there's no actual tension in situations such as attempted suicide or being kidnapped by a gun-toting father.
>>
>>89635766
>>89636000
Dude, it's alright.

You've done some bad shit, I presume, and you feel shitty about it. I get that. But the fact that you feel shitty about it means that you recognize that you've fucked up, and if you've recognized that you've fucked up, then you can do better.
>>
>>89636563
No you don't uderstand all I do is hurt people and I'm useless and clumsy and stupid and I say the wrong thing and I'm lazy and ungrateful and spoiled and an asshole and fucking violent and worthless and I'm a burden I'm a burden I'm unappreciative and I don't care about anyone but myself and I'm selfish and I'm stupid and I do nothing right and I never give back to anyone and I take advantage of them and I never help anyone and I'm so fucking undeserving of being alive right now the only fucking thing I can do to make it right is to fucking die I fucking deserve it if I stay alive it'll just keep getting worse dont you get it I'lnk never stop being awful I'm awful that's all I am is awful I'll never be anything but a disgusting worthless fuck up
>>
>>89636780
Then stop. That's it. You'll be good, then you'll go back to your bad habits inevitably, and that's okay. Just stop again. It will take forever and you won't think anything has changed, but as long as your realize what you're doing and stop, even if it's just for a second, they're you're better off than before. And even if it's just for one second now, tomorrow go for two seconds. It doesn't matter if you fail, if you backslide, or anything else, just keep going.
>>
>>89635669

>skates are busted

How were his skates busted, Sal?
>>
>>89636780

Take ambien

Sweet sweet ambien
>>
>>89637116
Insta-dry superglue apparently.
>>
>>89636780

This could all be true, but you'd still be better than Willis, so don't sweat it bro
>>
ok I dont follow this webcomic at all aside from reading the strip in the OP whenever I see a new one but after about a year and a half of seeing these I think this is the first comic I've actually related to and liked
So, congrats, willis.
>>
>>89636780
I used to think that too, and I eventually pulled myself out of the pit. You can too.

Also, >>89637174 is right. Legally obtain some drugs and then use the drugs until you stop feeling bad.
>>
>>89631396

Well the mustache edit is nice. But I didnt want it replaced with OTHER Nazi stuff
>>
>>89635669
You'd think she'd eventually notice that something was up with the tubby freshman who keeps melting into an insensible puddle whenever she walks by.

When someone does that with you, they're either terrified of you or in love with you, and either way, that's something you want to cut off at the pass.
>>
>>89637230
For some reason, he keeps doing more-or-less competent when it comes to Dorothy
>>
File: MaryCuteFixed4Realsies.png (312KB, 450x896px) Image search: [Google]
MaryCuteFixed4Realsies.png
312KB, 450x896px
>>89638167
Oh, my b.

I hope it was a little funny, if not oh well.
>>
File: 2014-04-12-ack.png (279KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2014-04-12-ack.png
279KB, 1000x333px
>>89638347
Ehh, it seems more like she just screams internally.

I assume the overall running gag is that Sal doesn't even remember Amber as the one who stabbed her that night, and even when Amber comes clean she'll be like "Oh, that was you? Wow, weird."
>>
>>89638347
It's not even clear if Sal notices it. If I had to do it, I'd at least frame it as her thinking that Amber is one of the people who loses their shit about how cool she is. Instead she basically reacted as though nothing was wrong.

There was one strip of Amber as Amazi-Girl glaring at Sal in front of her room. Sal has a double take but then she disappears. It seems like she completely attributed that to Amazi-Girl's stalking, though.
>>
>>89638665
Okay, I guess it IS more like melting.

Still, Willis is setting everything up as Sal being like "For you, that was the most important moment of your life. For me, it was Tuesday."
"Could you please talk to me seriously without making a goddamn joke about it?"
"What's the joke? It was just a normal day for me."
"You quoted the Street Fighter movie."
"They made a movie? Shit, I gotta look into that. When did it come out?"
"'92."
"Twenty years ago? Shit, I'm getting old."
"Twenty-five years."
"Oh, like anybody cares about what year it is. Anyways, I wanna fuck your boyfriend."
>>
File: 2013-12-23-weird.png (392KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2013-12-23-weird.png
392KB, 1000x333px
>>89638767
Whoops, forgot the picture I wanted to post. I'm dumb.
>>
>>89638665
I kinda want it to be revealed that not only does Sal know who Amber is, but that she's been in contact with Ethan for a long time and he convinced her to not talk to Amber because Amber isn't ready.
>>
>>89638767
Yeah, but that's the most tired of cliches and everybody can see it coming at this point.
>>
>>89638856
That's not a terrible idea, but given that Willis hates to do flashbacks to earlier in the schoolyear, it's not going to happen.

Besides, Willis is obsessed with showing every bit of minutiae that happens each day. He would have shown it beforehand, because as we all know, Willis is not a man who understands pacing
>>
>>89638856
That'd be nice, but I doubt Willis thinks ahead that far. Note how Sal keeps talking with Danny; I feel like by now we've have at least had one scene with Sal/Ethan if this were the case. Or at least foreshadowing.

>>89638890
Well, we aren't exactly working with Caldecott Medal material here, much less the Pulitzer Prize.
>>
>>89638955
Eh, personally one of the things that I hate about the way that Willis writes is the way that you can predict shit from miles away and once you do, there's no point in following the rest of that subplot because he rarely does anything interesting with those cliches, and when he does, it's usually fucking stupid.

As soon as Ross appeared, I knew that the storyline would end with him getting the same treatment that Blaine did. The only thing I couldn't predict was the gunwaving and the car chase, because that's too stupid to predict
>>
>>89638665
>>89638827
>>89638767
Ethan was the one that was held and knife-point. Sal's the one that got stabbed. They've moved forward.
>>
>>89639042
Now you understand Mr. Bones' Wild Ride.

>>89639070
Yes, but Amber was called a simpleton by her father. So that's enough to give her PTSD so bad that even after she almost kills her father in a parking lot, she STILL gets fucking triggered by looking at Sal.

It makes me wonder how Amber handled looking at ANY black chick in the past.
>>
>>89639101
Maybe Amber just has that reaction to any mulatto girl she sees.
>>
>>89631396
>dat trigger discipline
10/10 wife material
>>
>>89639153
>everyone assumes that Amber had a torrid, passionate affair with a mulatto girl that ended badly
>>
>>89639360
The new catchphrase for whenever Amber walks away becomes, "Damn, that girl needs to get a rebound lay."
>>
>>89639604
>Mike tricks Dorothy and Dina into a scheme to hook Amber up with Sierra
>>
>>89639666
Knowing Willis, it ends with a panel where Sierra is smoking a doobie and Amber is crying. And then six months later a porn comic pops out.
>>
>>89639724
I'll take it! It won't be good, but at least it'll be different.
>>
>>89639747
You sad soul. There are far better options, you know.

On the subject of Willis' porn, I wonder what he plans to do if/when he finally stops making WTTFZ pin-ups.
>>
>>89639890
At some point the actual pairing is worth less than the gymnastics required to hook them up. We all know how it ends with Willis, misshapen cocks, taffy clits, and gag pubes.
>>
>>89636371
he did? LOL
>>
>>89639988
Fair enough.
Still, you have better options than Willis.

>>89640021
Yup.
Now that you know this, enjoy the next suicide attempt or deathly car chase scene or maybe even somebody actually being put in mortal danger.
>>
>two Patreanons
>zero updates

Have we ever had two Patreanons die at the same time?
>>
>>89623069
that's not really funny
>>
>>89640225
Taking bets: murder/suicide or suicide pact?
>>
File: good_enough.png (374KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
good_enough.png
374KB, 1000x333px
Sorry guys. Been under the weather lately.

Anyways, here's your daily dose of Dotty/Walky schmaltz. I'd venture to say I almost don't totally hate the last few strips.
>>
>>89640448
The last few strips aren't bad, they're just incongruous with both the greater context of the relationship and their lead-in.

I'm pretty sure that Dorothy/Walky is the longest lasting relationship in DoA and it's only been a thing for maybe five weeks in-universe.
>>
>>89640448
Yeah, they haven't been 100% terrible.
>>
>>89640448
I'm sorry, what? Linear functions in calculus?

Wait like, linear approximation? Or are they literally so early in the semester that they're doing limits with linear functions?
>>
>>89640552
I'm not sure whether I didn't get this immediately because it's 1 in the morning or because I'm just that bad at math.

Either way, I'm supposed to have a bachelor's degree in the stuff, so fuck me.
>>
>>89640552
It's supposed to be a difficult class, so that stuff sounds like review, rather than what they should be doing nearly 7 weeks into the semester.
>>
>>89640448
>>89640502

I don't mind this little slice of life, but I hate that it exists while Rapin' Ryan is being forgotten about by everyone....again.

Dotty's magical sobriety still irks me too. She presumably drank a good bit of the flask that Billie shared with her last time we saw her, and it's only been a little over an hour (just enough time for Joyce and co. to have lunch at Galasso's and get back to the dorms). I get that some seasoned drinkers speak fine and do simple motor functions well after that much liquor, but Dorothy doesn't seem seasoned. She certainly wouldn't be leaping out of a bunk like a cat or balancing all that shit in the hall. Not to mention her breath.
>>
>>89640448
Dammit, I can't find the password again. I'm starting to suck at this.

Anyways, this feels as anticlimactic an ending to Walky's math woes as, well, any other story ending in Willis' stories. Personally, I still can't really buy the Dorothy/Walky relationship, but that's just me. Something bugs me.

As for this strip and what bugs me, it's Walky's reactions. He's being drawn out like a sad-ass puppy dog cartoon; I can't take it seriously at all. Like, tone it the fuck down. People cry all the time in "Steven Universe", but they don't fucking go big bug-eyed like a goddamn "SpongeBob" episode or something, y'know?

>>89640798
Obviously, Dorothy is so perfect that she can become sober at will.
Though seriously, I'm not sure what Willis was thinking when he let Dorothy stay buzzed while hopping between a cafeteria, her dorm hallway, Galasso's, and then the dorm again.

Anyways, the DoA.Tumblr preview panels don't point to anything within the next few days; the 10th shows Amazi-Girl. So the next week is going to be something that we didn't know about or were introduced to circa October-November 2016.
>>
>>89640665
Dude, a linear function. It's a straight line. Like, why is that in a calculus class? Why is Dorothy going "ahh yes, I remember these ancient linear functions." As if it's some advanced theory she had to use, but hasn't touched in ages.

>>89640693
Calc 1 isn't even fucking difficult. Like, the entire class basically boils down to memorizing the various rules for derivatives, and applying them. Any idiot can pass it.

I just want to go yell at Willis to learn some basic math. This is high school level stuff.
>>
>>89640448
she's putting an awful lot of energy into this fun and superficial relationship. you know, the one that she started immediately after dumping her serious boyfriend because she didn't want anything serious. the one that she dumped with an equal measure of kindness and compassion.
>>
>>89639724
>Sierra is smoking a doobie
Speaking of, it's kind of weird to me there's no casual smokers in the cast of a college strip. Well, I vaguely remember Carla smoking a joint, but it may've been a badly drawn cigarette? The only other pot-user I can think of is Dana and that was pretty heavy "drugs will ruin your life!" level.
>>
>>89641014
That's the conflict, dumbass. I'm more bothered by Walky's sudden turn from "Dorothy is a yappy annoyance like a small dog" to "my precious angel waifu"
>with an equal measure of kindness and compassion.
I mean, she did try to let him down easy?
>>
>>89641014
>>89641091
Note how she doesn't respond when Walky asks if she still loves him. If Willis were subtle, I'd say he's showing that Dorothy treats Walky like a pet or a human experiment of sorts.

If Willis were a better writer, I'd love to see how Walky reacts when his storybook romance crashes down.

>>89641033
Willis is probably one of those people who wants any movie with cigarettes to be PG-13.
>>
>>89641008
I mean, I got it eventually. It's just that it took me a whole minute to process that and I was like "what the fuck, I should be faster than this".

Anyways, yeah, you're probably right. I skipped Calc 2 in college, but I'm pretty sure my high school calculus class didn't touch linear functions after the third or fourth week, and college classes go much faster than high school classes.
>>
File: 2010-12-13-divert.png (291KB, 900x300px) Image search: [Google]
2010-12-13-divert.png
291KB, 900x300px
>>89640944
>they don't fucking go big bug-eyed
Walky's eyes have been fucked ever since they first SAW Dorothy.
Actually, since It's Walky!, but who's counting
>>
>>89640448
The expression work here is really... shitty. Like it's super over the top and grotesque. Also, maybe I'm just stupid, but I don't really get Dorothy's reaction in panel 5.

And while I get the concept of Walky's grades determining his self-worth, I don't think the idea that it ever mattered to Dorothy came up. She likes him because of his emotional stability (which is baffling to think about but that's the story). So, of course this would end this way.

It's weird because I actually really like Dorothy and Walky's relationship, but this is kinda leaving me flat. Maybe it's part of how long it took for the grades stuff to start to come to a resolution.
>>
>>89641033
Doesn't Sal smoke?
>>
>>89641139
Yeah, basically. I'm just getting salty that there's all this drama about Calc 1. Thank god none of them are actually doing a major that takes effort.
>>
>>89641169
I thought Sal smoked cigs?
>>
>>89641190
Ah, but if there weren't people who were bad at math, then you and I would have no value in this world.

I mean, even less than we already do, on account of being 4channers.
>>
>>89641169
I don't recall Sal mentioning weed, but I could be wrong. I'd be surprised if Marcie does, so she might not. I can't imagine trying to sign while being stoned.
>>
>>89641150
Well, from that angle, I don't even know how Walky got a good look at Dorothy's face.
Also, who's the daywalker coming out of the elevator behind her?

And sure, his eyes are fucked, but I'm talking more about the overall expression in his face. It's cartoonish to the point of stupidity, y'know?

>>89641190
Walky would be out on his ass if he were failing engineering.
>>
>>89641231
I've heard about signers who can do it drunk.

They basically sign the way that a drunk person talks, if that makes any sense. Still intelligible, but slower and less focused.
>>
>>89641219
I've already accepted my fate of being relegated to a basement where I make someone else money.

But at least I get to bitch about math.
>>
File: Innsmouth Look.jpg (365KB, 1600x747px) Image search: [Google]
Innsmouth Look.jpg
365KB, 1600x747px
>>89641150
>panel 4
>>
File: 837.jpg (273KB, 900x1125px) Image search: [Google]
837.jpg
273KB, 900x1125px
Remember when Willis had the ability to write a good comic?
>>
>>89642023
Nothing says 'early 2000s webcomic' like attempting to use CGI.
>>
>>89642023
No.
>>
>>89641150
(◐__◑)
>>
>>89640448
I would think this strip was okay if the stupid "Dorothy is only with Walky so it's easier to break up with him once she transfers to Yale" plotline got addressed since that was a major reason why Walky wouldn't open up to her.

Like, I don't want to get invested because Dorothy later might just go"lol, Leaving now, our relationship meant nothing. Good dick tho."
>>
>>89638943
>Willis is not a man who understands pacing

Willis is not a man who understands REALITY.

Hell, Willis is not a man, period.
>>
>>89641150

Walky looks like something from "The Binding of Isiah"

But even more grotesque
>>
>>89641246
>I don't even know how Walky got a good look at Dorothy's face.

Dat ass
>>
>>89644375
Maybe Dorothy realized that it could take decades for her to get a transfer to Yale at this rate.
>>
>>89642023
Those were the days, man. Really a shame he forgot how to write likable characters. Or make a strip fun.
>>
>>89644375
Walky has addressed it a few times, but now would be a good time to bring it up. Or after they finish studying for the day.
>>
>>89644375
It's why I'm halfway positive that Dorothy is going to give up on going to Yale (if only right away) and stick with her friends at IU.

Which would just be an additional slap in the face to Danny because he would be proven right, and that Dorothy's ideas of what she wanted would indeed change.

>>89644849
I don't even know why she expects to get into Yale at 18. Did she even apply?
Like, that's actually a good point somebody brought up before. Did Dorothy even apply to Yale at all?

>>89646477
It'll probably end the same way that Dina and Becky resolved the former's concerns that she was only a rebound for the latter after they were rejected by Joyce "Pray The Gay Away" Brown.
>>
>>89644324
k
>>
>>89646538
I think what Dorothy's doing is that she felt like her high school resume wasn't enough, so she's doing a year at a public school to shore it up.

And Willis doesn't technically need to focus on that just yet. IIRC, transfer applications for Ivy schools don't go in until mid March.
>>
>>89644375
She is not with him because it will be easy to break up with him. She has explicitly said that she loves him and that it will be hard to break up with him. She's with him because she enjoys being with him, he believes in and supports her and she's physically attracted to him.

That doesn't change the fact that she is planning to break up with him to go to Yale, though, so Walky was trying to avoid getting too emotionally attached. This along with his tough man persona was the reason for him not opening up to Dorothy.
>>
>>89646807
I feel like there should at least be some indication that she tried. She's so dead-set on attending Yale that you'd think she'd have put in an application regardless of whether or not she was qualified. I did it when applying to NYU and MIT; I knew I wasn't cut out for either, but I went for it anyways.

And it's Willis. He probably has to use a fan calendar to know what day it is in DoA.
>>
>>89646877
>along with his tough man persona

I was with you until this point, Walky never had a tough guy persona, I mean even in the new strip he's crying
>>
>>89646973
He has a 'guy' persona, nonetheless.

You don't see it too often, but it comes up. Like when he tried to rag on Joe for owning more than one pair of shoes.
>>
>>89647005
I took that as Walky being childish over being "manly"
>>
>>89646973
>>89647005
What he has is a boy persona, complete with "haha, girl stuff is dumb"
>>
>>89617056

No shoehorned jokes?

I bet Willy thinks this is a poor strip for that.
>>
>>89617097
What the fuck did she expect from an "introduction to computers" course?

"introduction", and she was expecting some sort of advance shit? Is she an idiot?
>>
>>89618828
>thw in my early 30s
>profession going belly up, the industry on a downward spiral of disappearing jobs and worsening contracts
>thinking of going back to uni for a degree in a field that could pay a mortgage

It's gonna be fun to be 30+ among all the 19-year olds, lel. At least I apparently look like I'm 24
>>
>>89647236
Someone else mentioned there would be placement tests to avoid this kind of shit. Though now that I think about it, I doubt comp-sci courses get those kinds of tests.

Regardless, you're correct. If anything, she shouldn't be trying to be hostile to the class. She should just be hanging out in the back with apathy, breezing through the homework and doing her own thing during class time. Hell, why not skip out and talk with an adviser to try and get into a higher-level course?

All this just reminds me of how Willis seems to have forgotten to make actual school schedules for his characters. Isn't this the only class we see Amber in?
>>
>>89646538
>I don't even know why she expects to get into Yale at 18.
I meant that it will take decades real-time for Dorothy's freshman year to end.
>>
File: 2016-07-29-chloe[1].png (421KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2016-07-29-chloe[1].png
421KB, 1000x333px
>>89646973
He is crying in this strip but that's not his regular behaviour. It's supposed to be a big thing that he's getting emotional about his relationship because he usually doesn't. When Dorothy said that she loved him, he just reciprocated because that's what girls want dudes to do on tv and it causes a lot of drama, so why not just say the meaningless words. Now he's crying about her still loving him.

>>89647005
>He has a 'guy' persona
I think this is better wording. He has a list of "guy things" that are pretty naive and childish that he tries to cling to.

>You don't see it too often, but it comes up
I feel like it was a big part of his characterization early on, but it hasn't shown up as much recently. Your shoe thing was a good example, also image related is him struggling to do the manly thing.
>>
>>89647407
I can see you're interpretaiton

but when I read the strip you provided I just see a kid trying hard to not be freaked out over a stressful situation

iunno, if Walky having a fragile masculinity was brought up more or addressed I would like that but everything that comes out of Walky's mouth feels like Willis is throwing catchphrases at a wall trying to get something that sticks to put on a t shirt
>>
>>89647366
I got that joke.
N-no, really, I did!
Please don't laugh at me...

Still, I'd like to know if Dorothy applied to Yale at all. Or even if she talked with people at the school. I'm sure they have tours you can attend in the summer months.

>>89647407
My problem with Walky being emotional is that it's so overly cartoonish in presentation that I can't take it seriously.

I'd rather have a more quiet moment like the alternate version of the Ruth/Billie scene you posted than the exaggeration we got. Hell, the alternate Ruth/Billie bedroom scene is also a good if not better example of the point you're making about Walky being mature.
>>
>>89647480
>My problem with Walky being emotional is that it's so overly cartoonish in presentation that I can't take it seriously.
I agree, the presentation of it is really garbage.
>>
File: 1464987066409.jpg (30KB, 292x257px) Image search: [Google]
1464987066409.jpg
30KB, 292x257px
I've added some stuff from the Bad Webcomics Wiki review of DoA onto the Walkypedia about a week ago and they still haven't noticed.
>>
File: 2011-01-11-bbs.png (333KB, 900x300px) Image search: [Google]
2011-01-11-bbs.png
333KB, 900x300px
>>89647340
>>89647236
>>89617948
>>
>>89647587
>counselor
That was her first mistake. She should have gone to her adviser.

And if she's taken classes like this before, then she SHOULD be able to argue her way into a higher level course. Email a goddamn professor, goddammit!
>>
>>89647274
I'm in your exact situation, only I'm currently in the first year of a degree.

It is a lot of fun, as long as you join in and don't let the age thing bother or affect you. The 18yo me wouldn't have had nearly as much fun as I'm having now because he was a miserable anti-social sack of shit. I'm actually glad I didn't go to uni back then and waited until I had my shit sorted out.
>>
>>89647629
Don't mind Willis, he didn't actually go to college. Or do any research or talk to anyone who actually did, it seems.
>>
>>89647128

Clearly the last panel was meant to be funny.

Is not Willis not putting jokes is him being un-funny
>>
>>89647587
>>89647629

Yeah, my HS counselor kinda fucked over everyone I know.

I think he thought education was unChristian and wanted us all to become day laborers.
>>
>>89647340
>>89647587

With a quick glance at the University website, it doesn't seem like University of Indiana offers an exemption exam for Computer Science (although they DO accept the AP Computer Science exams as credit), so I guess it would make sense for Amber to be stuck in a lower level course. I don't know how lenient the advisors can be there though if she had some sort of Computer Science portfolio or experience that may qualify her. Also, stating something like that doesn't really inspire someone to help her.

Also, that's a dick move from Amber anyways.
>>
>>89647930
If she took AP in high school (which, knowing Willis, I doubt ever happened) then she'd definitely have been able to get into a higher course.

And advisers still have clout that could help her get into a higher course. She just needs to ask about it. That seems to be the problem here: Amber just straight up isn't trying.
>>
>>89647554
Eh, the Bad Webcomics Wiki reviews are unfortunately real shit without much substance
John Solomon was the only one competent enough to write like that, and he's long gone
>>
Walky is flunking math. TWO FUCKING YEARS LATER it's finally brought up and... a page later Dorothy just tutors him.

I like how a bunch of strips are devoted to Dorothy resenting the idea that she's perfect and collapsing under the weight of everything going on, and then she proceeds to immediately take initiative in helping Walky.

Willis' ideal woman is a nagging mom who'll clean his ass when he shits himself. Sorry, I mean when gets ass barfy.
>>
>>89648267
>TWO FUCKING YEARS LATER
Actually it's more like a couple days later due to how the time works.
>>
>>89648267
At least it was a terrible storyline with Walky being an overly melodramatic faggot. Good riddance to that shit, I had no hopes for it ever going somewhere interesting or entertaining.
>>
>>89648267

Well I suppose there's a point there, I imagine it's a common enough occurrence with people in general, worrying ones ass off over a problem that seems so enormous that it's a bit of an anticlimax how simple the solution is once you admit the worry.

Or something dumb like that.
>>
>>89648444
If he can't fucking do a fairly grounded storyline well what hope is there for all the off the wall bullshit in this garbage comic.
>>
>>89648521
To be fair he seems to do better with off the wall bullshit than anything (relatively) grounded. Compare It's Walky! vs. DoA
>>
>>89648002

Huh, my mind automatically changed councillor to advisor, since I assumed that Amber wasn't going to talk to someone in her high school about college (or I guess a university councillor, since no one in college is ever given the impression that they do things with coursework, and they'd probably redirect her to an advisor if she asked). Do councillors even do anything related to college courses, outside of sending transcripts?
>>
>>89649174
In college, your advisor will help you register for classes and give you guidance as to what classes you should take and when. They're basically there to help you graduate, preferably "on time" if my advisor was any indication of what other advisors are like.

Your advisor will be from the department your major is in, so they can guide you to what needs to be done.

Example: If you are new to being an English major, you might not realize how intensive the literature courses are. Due to this lack of knowledge, you might want to take three of them in one semester so you can get them out of the way as early as possible. However, doing 3 lit classes at a time is akin to suicide. You'd tell your advisor what you want to do, and then they'd tell you, no, you won't survive if you try to take that many lit courses at once. They'll tell you what you should do instead and how to spread your lit classes out a little more so you won't burn yourself out. Lit classes require a LOT of reading, and two to three days is NOT enough time to read several hundred pages and actually absorb them.

Your advisor is generally there to help you survive college and to succeed in your major without dying.
>>
>>89650948
This, pretty much. Their job is to make you comfortable, in terms of time management and overall program progression. Some students may never visit with their adviser unless required, and some students may visit once a week.
>>
>>89648792
>To be fair he seems to do better with off the wall bullshit than anything (relatively) grounded.
Not recently.
>>
File: 2014-10-18-inlove[1].png (349KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
2014-10-18-inlove[1].png
349KB, 1000x333px
>>89640448
>>89641151
>Also, maybe I'm just stupid, but I don't really get Dorothy's reaction in panel 5.
Oh, that's the face you make when you're in love! Obviously! What an idiot I am!

Fuck this comic.
>>
>>89641151
>I don't really get Dorothy's reaction in panel 5.
>>89652034
>Oh, that's the face you make when you're in love! Obviously! What an idiot I am!
Nah, this time, it's just that Dorothy is in immense pain from turning her head around like she's in the Exorcist.
>>
>>89652034
>I'm not "in love" you guys!
>I just can't achieve orgasm without being slammed up against a wall and having my neck broken by an alcoholic!
>>
>>89648352
>Willis will die before DoA is finished
I don't know whether to be disappointed or thankful.
>>
>>89647480
Given how perfectionist Dorothy can be, I can see her not applying with a "weak" presentation.
>>
>>89650948
The only excuse I can think of is if she's undeclared and thus has just a random professor as an advisor, but that doesn't match up with her big-dick "I'm the best programmer" shtick we've seen.
>>
File: Frank.jpg (485KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Frank.jpg
485KB, 1024x768px
>>89648521
You've come to the wrong thread for hope, friend.
>>
>>89652538
I've already got several endings in my own head. Most of them are timeskips, because I am a giant weeb sometimes.
>>
>>89655339
Imagine if Willis died and DoA still wasn't finished. Could you imagine a day where DoA ends, doesn't update, and that's literally it? It just ends mid-sentence?
>>
File: Anissa02.jpg (124KB, 360x532px) Image search: [Google]
Anissa02.jpg
124KB, 360x532px
>>89655539
Stop trying to give me an erection.
>>
>>89655539
I especially like this scenario because of the auto-update buffer.

Every time a strip updates for the next 90 days postmortem, we get to speculate if it's the last time we ever see any given plotline or character ever again.
>>
Why do I get a weird androgynous gay vibe just reading this? Is this what it feels like to be nu-male?
>>
>>89656094
Probably because Walky keeps crying and praising his girlfriend while saying he is worthless shit.
>>
>>89656094
>Just throwing out buzzwords without a care in the world
>>
>>89656094
You have become gay. Embrace it.
>>
>>89652303
Fortunately for her she found a violent alcoholic who can't achieve orgasm unless she's being enabled by an Asian chick who has let herself go.

>>89652714
I don't know, Amber not actually taking a Comp-Sci track so she can avoid being challenged or possibly even failing seems like it'd fit with her for some reason.
>>
>>89655339
I think of so many AUs for DoA it's starting to worry me.
>>
>>89617001
Jesus fuck, didn't Danny JUST run away from her yesterday? Why is he hugging her ass like a TF2 player who doesn't know how to play Medic? It'd be one thing if he was valuable and important to the story, but he's half giant cuck and half dickbait for Ethan, another largely unimportant character
>>
File: aDUUUUUUUUUUUH.jpg (8KB, 100x120px) Image search: [Google]
aDUUUUUUUUUUUH.jpg
8KB, 100x120px
>>89617001
>uh DUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
>>
>>89658389
This is an old strip before they broke up.
>>
>>89658418
>when your dentures slip while you're orgasming but also you have to take a shit
>>
>>89623128
>Wasn't she drunk when she got it in bed?

It's Math not driving a fork lift.
>>
>>89632660
I'd kick this lot:
>Danny and Ethan
Basically, one is just there to show that Amber has had shitty relationships, and the other is a shitty relationship. Hell, we coulda just had Dorothy say "lol yeah I dumped my boyfriend when I got here" and Danny wouldn't have been necessary for that role, either. Ethan is just a gay bag of meat for Joyce to try to pray the gay out of and desperately avoid masturbating to. She COULD have just dated Jacob and then we'd have Joyce and Jacob both trying not to fugg each other. Way more interesting than what we got

>Joe
As much as I like Joe, he's basically just a penis with a voice to start the whole schpiel Roz, which started shit with Robin, who connects us to Rapin' Ryan and therefore Amazi-Girl, Joyce, etc. Roz coulda put the fuck down on literally any other guy, even just a bystander and it'd have the same significance as Joe.

>Marcie
Willis literally just wrote a character that is booty shorts with no speech at all. Other than showing that Sal is a person beyond "nothin' personnel, kid..."

>Carla
You know those episodes of Pokemon that focused on characters other than Ash and Co.? The ones that didn't have much, if any, relevance to the story at all but were still pretty funny? Carla's whole story is that, but without the funny. Did anyone important other than Ruth have anything to do with her?
>>
>>89639070

Have Ethan and Sal talked about that shit? I remember some junk about a gameboy but kind don't care enough to keep reading
>>
>>89658808
Ethan told Amber (Amazi-Girl technically) that the knife point thing was long ago and he thinks they've all become different people. He doesn't seem to hold a grudge.

At Joyce's party Ethan and Sal sat next to each other. Ethan kinda recognized Sal, but it was attributed to her looking like Walky, who he had already met. They haven't interacted since.

Basically, he hasn't confronted Sal as the perpetrator of that crime, but has made it seem like he doesn't hold any ill-will towards her.
>>
>>89657778
DoA is already an AU.
>>
>>89652538
> Willis will die before a single semester in DoA is finished
>>
>>89659513
>Dave Willis exists in real life
>Dave Willis exists in the Walkyverse
>DoA is an AU of the Walkyverse
>ergo DoA is an AU of real life

God is real and he's a middle-aged cartoonist living in Ohio.
>>
>>89659683
Technically, all fiction exists within alternate universes. This is why happy endings are often recommended.

Either way, Willis is a horrible, vengeful God. Just look at everything that's happened to Joyce, from nearly being raped at a party to being held at gunpoint by her best friend's father.
>>
File: Captain America27.jpg (64KB, 482x646px) Image search: [Google]
Captain America27.jpg
64KB, 482x646px
>>89659683
>>
File: 20100904last.png (149KB, 700x560px) Image search: [Google]
20100904last.png
149KB, 700x560px
>>89659736
Never mind all the bullshit that Walkyverse Joyce suffered through, but at least she got her happy ending.

Poor Dumbiverse Joyce is forever trapped in a college purgatory of drama and misery that will only end when Willis dies, and time mercifully stands still for the rest of eternity.
>>
>>89615946

Oh hey, it's my edit.
>>
>>89659736
Look at everyone.

Ethan suffered from his whole life being upended by his sexuality and is deeply insecure about it.

Amber is suffering from a slow-burning mental breakdown and PTSD.

Sal's own parents were racist to her and she was so alienated she committed violent crimes in an attempt to receive some measure of attention.

Becky's had to deal with her mom's suicide, being kicked out of school after being outed, and having her dad try to kidnap her to conversion therapy.

Joe's had to deal with his parent's divorce and seemingly ongoing conflicts.

Sarah suffered complete social ostracization and reprisal for trying to get her roommate help.

Carla had a lonely childhood full of bullying and being trans to deal with.

Mary's suffered physical and social abuse.

Robin's been forced to closet herself and deal with a ruthless, cutthroat work environment only to be forcibly outed by her sister.

Leslie got married in an attempt to cure herself of being a lesbian, then got divorced and was left homeless.

Ruth's parent's died, she had to live with an abusive grandfather, and developed alcoholism.

Billie's an alcoholic who became a social pariah and lost everything in her life that gave her self-worth.
>>
>>89660043
>that comic
>I hope we never, ever find out
Willis was more prescient than he knows
>>
File: 2010-09-10-dumbingofage.png (131KB, 500x744px) Image search: [Google]
2010-09-10-dumbingofage.png
131KB, 500x744px
>>89660663
He knew. He was just being a cheeky cunt.
This was posted six days later.
>>
File: itswilly.png (127KB, 300x227px) Image search: [Google]
itswilly.png
127KB, 300x227px
>>89659683
>Behold the true face of GOD
>>
>>89663332
I'd still love to see a story where the characters of DoA meet God and it's Willis.

Especially if Willis recognizes everything in >>89660183 and the story involves his characters ragging on him non-stop because of these.
>>
>>89663732
Strictly speaking, all of Becky's suffering happened so that God/Willis could answer her prayers at her lowest moment and look like a hero.

...there's a criticism of the methods and motives of the Abrahamic God in there, but I didn't start skipping out of church so I could keep arguing about theology
>>
>>89663918
>God answers lesbian prayers
>Even if it's at the expense of ignoring the prayers of others
>>
>>89663950
Truly, the Dumbiverse is among the darkest of timelines.
>>
>>89663732
>and then they find out about the porn
>>
>>89664073
You know what, if it turns out that this universe is what a bigger universe faps to, I'd be okay with that. At least porn makes people happy.
>>
>>89663918
David Willis has never evolved into a better writer
>>
>>89660828

Joyce looks cold
>>
>>89664328
To put it in terms Willis could understand, he can evolve into a better writer at any time, but he keeps pressing B when it comes time to evolve because he likes the look of the form he's in more than the look of his evolved form.
>>
>>89660828
Someone scribbled all over Joyce's pristine white vest!
>>
>>89660828
>Nothing prepares you for the outside world except being stupid over and over and over.

Well, we can't say that Willis didn't warn us it would all be so dumb.
>>
>>89665947
Nah, that's...pretty much how growing up works.

You do stupid shit and then you either learn a lesson when it blows up in your face or you don't.
>>
>>89660043
It will always be Freshman Year.
>>
>>89659736
And the easiest way to gain this God's favor is to become a lesbian, or some other flavor of LBGTQ. Maybe it'll be like SMT and some heroes will rally to punch God in the junk, while others try to stop them from punching God in the junk.
>>
File: congressional_work_ethic.png (385KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
congressional_work_ethic.png
385KB, 1000x333px
In tonight's thrilling installment, we snap away from the two young dumb lovebirds being sappy to....

.....whatever the fuck this is.
>>
>>89667018
>Leslie is dressed
>ends up changing her clothes since we've seen preview panels
so why bother

Y'know, you could probably apply Leslie's questioning to any character in DoA.
>Has anything actually changed for you? Have you learned anything?
>I learned that I'm a lesbian!
>Goddammit, Becky.

>Have you actually learned anything?
>I learned that beating up your dad does NOT get rid of your PTSD.
>Well, that's a reli- Wait, what?

Anyways, last night's password was "rusty". Which is weird; I could have sworn I tried that one. Or maybe I didn't.
>>
>>89667018

Lesbian has no ass

And those Star Wars posters put me off
>>
>>89667287
And tonight's password is "jumped". I found that one quick.
I think I might be forgetting to change the month in the URL. I can be dumb.
>>
>>89667317
I'm amused by the left one because Willis made it look like Rey has a Snidely Whiplash mustache
>>
>>89667018
I have a feeling a lot of plots are gonna have these anti-climactic endings in the next couple weeks because Willis is tired of writing them
>>
>>89667544
Honestly, it's great to see him shedding stale little subplots. Gives me hope that he's clearing narrative space for something big and absolutely ridiculous of Toedad proportions.

c'moooon Grandpa Lessick
>>
File: Well yeah.png (36KB, 1070x190px) Image search: [Google]
Well yeah.png
36KB, 1070x190px
>>89667018
Comments section doesn't even like this shit anymore.
>>
>>89667018
>Robin went from "protesting too much" to never wanting leave LesBean's couch ever seemingly overnight
I wonder if this is some sort of U-Haul Lesbians (or U-Haul female couple) joke.

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if she does just move in for real right now.
>>
File: none_humor_with_stale_meme.png (335KB, 1000x333px) Image search: [Google]
none_humor_with_stale_meme.png
335KB, 1000x333px
Totally overlooked it earlier, but we got a bonus strip tonight! And Guess what!

Heeere's Becky! Waka waka!
>>
>>89668235
oh god, Willis has officially become a dad who gets's memes through facebook now
>>
>>89668235
Oh dear, Becky's eyes
>>
>>89668235
in b4 Willis unceremoniously gives up on "Dumbing of Age" and makes a spin-off where everybody is working for Galasso's Pizza.
>>
>>89669017
"Ready for a real Slice of Life webcomic?"
>>
>>89668235
I like that we mostly can't see Becky's eyes through her hair. Her mouth is horrifying in all of her panels.

>>89669087
I hate you so much right now because of how likely that sounds. That sounds exactly like some BS Willis would come up with.
>>
>>89668235

>None pizza with left beef

What? I've never heard of this "meme".

Do people even know what real memes are anymore? I heard my like 50 year old father refer to a "meme" he saw on Facebook the other day. The average person seems to equate "meme" with "picture with caption".
>>
>>89669825
http://knowyourmeme.com/memes/special-delivery-instructions
>2009
>reddit
>tumblr
>>
>>89669825
>>89669929

>One of the most well known variations of custom pizza topping instructions is “None Pizza with Left Beef,” an order of a sauce-less, cheese-less pizza topped with beef only on the left side of the pie, which can be specified when using Domino’s online delivery system. Since its introduction through The Sneeze’s blog post in 2007, dozens of Tumblr bloggers[14] have ordered this bizarre creation and shared pictures online.

http://knowyourmeme.com/photos/838967-special-delivery-instructions
>>
>>89668235
>Hur dur did you know I was raised by fundies
>>
>>89667912
>>89668008

And to think, Robin refusing to do anything because she realizes her life as she knew it was over and doesn't want to face it would be a characterization that actually holds true to life.

>>89669791
Nah, there's a hierarchy of low effort AUs. He's got to go through summer camp AU before he can reach quirky workplace AU.
>>
>>89667018

Nobody actually talks like that, Willis.

Like, ever.
>>
>>89670439
Wouldn't Shortpacked already be the Quirky Workplace AU?
>>
>>89670293
Ba ba baya BAAA They're Christian!
>>
>>89667018
>Wants to live on a lesbian's couch and watch TV
Good instincts.
>>
File: nonepizza.jpg (95KB, 600x1068px) Image search: [Google]
nonepizza.jpg
95KB, 600x1068px
>>89668235
Man, I always found this picture really funny. I wouldn't call it a meme, but everything that gets posted to Facebook is a meme nowadays. Thanks for ruining another one of my little joys, Willis.
>>
>>89668462
In the last panel? That's the most normal she's looked in months. Not under her hair, and about in line with her ears.
>>
>>89667018
I don't want to like DoA Robin, and yet I do.

I am... conflicted.
>>
>>89663332
Minus what he's doing in the picture, Willis is a lot better looking than the rat-faced manlet I imagined.
>>
>>89669017

All the characters he gives a shit about move to working at Galassos.

All the jokes are about pizza, or "pizza culture"

Most of the strips involve rants by strawmen of pizza community people Willis has talked to online, portrayed as terrible but regular customers.

Carla lives in the stock room because she can't fit through the door.

Nobody ever mentions college.
>>
>>89675620

Every night, Becky gets off her 12 hour shift and immediately drives a circuit of every pizza place in a 60 mile radius, looking for new pizzas to spend her paycheck on.
>>
>>89671024
Strictly speaking the Walkyverse was both the school AU and quirky workplace AU twice.

>>89671065
A callback to the singing hymnal thing would have been a better choice.
>>
>>89669929
>>89670007

Ah, so basically both painfully obsolete and completely, utterly retarded.

This is beyond unfunny. Nuke Tumblr.
>>
>>89670560
The only explantation is that Roz has suffered some sort of massive head injury.
>>
>>89668235
So, did that person go into a pizza place to not get pizza?
>>
>>89670439
>>89671024
>>89676056
>summer camp AU
>quirky workplace AU
>everyone is lesbians AU
>the blaxploitation AU
>an AU where time moves at a realistic pace in conjunction with the progression of the comic's publication
That last one might be a bit of a stretch, though.

>>89676643
I would guess they made a phone order.
>>
>>89676813
>summer camp AU

Camp Williswood

Campers:
>Joyce Brown: Naive and coddled, it's the first time she's been allowed away from home unchaperoned.
>Becky MacIntyre: Joyce's outgoing and excitable best friend whose extroversion hides a deeply confused personal identity.
>Mary Bradford: Dour and judgmental, like Becky and Joyce she's only at Camp Williswood because Christian camp was overbooked.
>David "Walky" Walkerton: ADHD and and poor decision making skills combined into a self-described " lazy super genius" package.
>Sally Walkerton: Her temper combined with the poor decision making skills shared with her brother makes her a rebel without a clue. The southern accent is fake, she just thinks it makes her sound cool.
>Marcie Diaz: Sal's best friend who hasn't quite stopped being mad at Sal for revealing the sports camp she wanted to attend wasn't licensed or insured, and probably was a front for the mob.
>Amber O'Malley: Lazy videogame addict who'd be far more upset about having to be outdoors and doing physical activities if she weren't irrationally excited at the prospect of being Ethan's faghag.
>Ethan Siegal: An insecure and timid kid who wants a cool summer camp experience like in the movies. Really wishes Amber would stop trying to find him a boyfriend, or pestering him to look at gay smut with her, or announcing he's gay to everyone.
>Danny Wilcox: His kind, sensitive nature and willingness to listen makes him quite popular with the girls around camp.
>Joe Rosenthal: Danny's best friend since pre-K, his crass attitude and overly macho persona has gotten him slapped in the face by every girl he's ever been interested in, but that's not going to stop him.
>Jacob Williams: His parents sent him to summer camp so he'd stop sulking about their recent move to Indiana, get out of his bedroom, and make a friend.
>Carl Rutten: Sent to camp by parent's afraid he's turning into a spoiled brat at prep school, he's deadset on proving them right.
>>
>>89667018
>One half-day with Leslie and Robin can't even muster the will to pull herself of her couch.

Dang, she really is the Ur-Lesbian that the prophecies spoke of! Her Lesbitational field is off the charts! Women check into relationships with her, but they don't check out! You heard of "love 'em and leave 'em" but with Les it's more like "love 'em and make 'em imprint on you like a duckling." She could star in a harem anime if she ever went to a mixer.
Dang, girl.
>>
>>89677312

[Spoiler]Which one is the killer?[/spoiler]
>>
>>89677312
Camp Staff
>Pamela Galasso: The unseen owner of Camp Williswood summer camp, corporate retreat, and in-patient drug abuse treatment center.
>Robin DeSanto: Camp director who has yet to realize, despite being told to her face, that her attempts to be hip and "with it" towards the campers is painful and irritating.
>Leslie Bean: The camp's cook, her attempts at a world-weary yet wise persona are unsettling and insincere coming from a divorcee in her early twenties.
>Galasso: The camp nurse who will mend your pathetic body so that you might serve the great Galasso as a faceless underling once he rules the world.
>>
>>89677564
Counselors
>Dina Saruyama: Awkward and stilted, her campers live in fear of her ability to appear exactly when they're starting trouble.
>Mike Warner: A petty, insulting, and vindictive asshole, the 12 year old boys attending camp think he's the coolest.
>Ruth Lessick: Re-patterned her life after reading a wikipedia summary of nihilism following a painful breakup.
>Sarah Clinton: She just wants some friends and will beat you up for implying so, which doesn't really help things.
>Jason Chesterfield: Proof that with enough condescension no one will ever know you're a complete sperg.
>Sydney Galasso: Because every would be world conquer/summer camp nurse needs a clone to continue his work after his death, even if that clone is an adopted black girl with boundary issues.
>Conquest Galasso: The Galassos' other daughter, she's only there because of the incident with half the high school track team at that party made them unwilling to let her be unchaperoned until she's 30.
Thread posts: 298
Thread images: 37

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.