[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>All that angst about the airbender genocide and about there

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

File: Airbenders.png (122KB, 444x250px) Image search: [Google]
Airbenders.png
122KB, 444x250px
>All that angst about the airbender genocide and about there being only a handful of airbenders left
>lol jk lets just make a bunch of non-benders into airbenders because muh spirit portal magic
How do you fuck up your own show this badly? If they wanted more airbenders why not have a season about finding some missing decedents of airbenders living in a secluded place like the aztec firebenders in ATLA? Such a cop out.
>>
yo we get it
>>
Korra is a non-canon fanfic bro
>>
>>89603262
This
>>
>>89602724
There was nothing wrong with that imo.

>If they wanted more airbenders why not have a season about finding some missing decedents of airbenders living in a secluded place like the aztec firebenders in ATLA?

This would be way more of a copout. At least in the canon version the Air Nomad's culture is still critically endangered, even if airbending itself isn't. A reasonable compromise would be for people with Air Nomad ancestry to start developing airbending, rather than just random people.
>>
>>89602724
For years after watching through the first season on AtLA as it came out on telly, I was so sure that after the war was finished, there'd be a 'Book 4: Air'.
Something like a group of Air Nomads that had escaped and created a successful and sustainable nomadic lifestyle in the clouds, too cautious of the genocide attempted against them to ever speak to landfolk.
Aang would hear about rumors of these nomads, but not be able to dedicate all of his time to the search of his people, due to his part in stabilizing the world and all the problems that would bring.

I was so excited for it to happen, but then Sozin's Comet came and went, and I thought "they're just taking their time to make sure it's good".
Boy, was I wrong.
>>
>>89603358
>
This would be way more of a copout. At least in the canon version the Air Nomad's culture is still critically endangered, even if airbending itself isn't.

I always had the idea that if they did find more airbenders their culture would have evolved away from traditional air nomad culture. Maybe even strayed from pacifism in order to survive. Upon finding them Tenzin would have had a moral dilemma about the culture he was supposed to be passing on vs the culture that these other airbenders have adopted. Same bending element but complete culture clash.
>A reasonable compromise would be for people with Air Nomad ancestry to start developing airbending, rather than just random people.
Agreed.
>>
File: Ty Lee 0.jpg (517KB, 677x1000px) Image search: [Google]
Ty Lee 0.jpg
517KB, 677x1000px
>>89603408
I prefer the idea that the last surviving Nomads went into hiding and their descendents didn't realize they were Airbenders, with Aang realizing it by paying attention to fighting styles.
>>
>>89603711
While I understand that line of thinking, I just can't see it happening.
Surely some of them would figure it out by say, getting attacked by a mooselion or being arrested by Fire Nation patrols, like how even weak benders are stronger when in danger.
At that point, if even one found out which they would then they'd show people, try and find out if others knew and it definitely would have happened earlier than when Aang woke up.
>>
the way this show put airbenders on a pedestal is just horrible in general
>forcing kids to not be modern people because your grandfather couldn't let it go
>forcing people to submit to said culture because they awaken air power
This is just so fucking stupid.
>>
>>89603809
>forcing people to submit to said culture because they awaken air power

Yeah that's actually really fucking weird.
>>
>>89603358
>A reasonable compromise would be for people with Air Nomad ancestry to start developing airbending, rather than just random people.

Isn't that what they did with Bumi? And Zaheer kinda.
>>
>>89603809
It was more about preserving a culture that was nearly made extinct. Tenzin came on a little strongly and was pretty oblivious as to why people weren't jumping to sign up for life as a nomad, but I understand his way of thinking. His kids won't have to go through what he went through and can marry whoever they want now, Rohan won't feel like a failure if he's a non-bender, Pema can stop having kids, and so on.
>>
>>89603919
>And Zaheer kinda.
Wait, Zaheer had Air Nomad ancestry?
Even though I enjoyed him as a character, I find it hard to get through all of Korra a third time.
>>
>populations of people change after 60 years of time

You don't say.
>>
>>89602724
This copypasta wasn't all that fresh when it was first made.

It has been years since this happening.
>>
>>89603919
>>89603973
There's no explanation given but I do lean towards that theory.
>>
>>89603973
They never said so, but he was really into Air Nomad culture before he became an airbender.
>>
>>89602724
>people from entirely different heritages or cultures suddenly feel obligated to go adopt traditional air nomad culture because they're suddenly air benders
>>
>>89602724
this was a pretty strange development, yeah
>>
>>89604054
A lot of them couldn't go back to their homes because they were wanted fugitives. And some were probably like Kai and didn't have anything to go back to.

Also these were the air benders specifically from Ba Sing Se. They had no luck recruiting everywhere else in the Earth Kingdom and they never tried the Water Tribes or the Fire Nation.
>>
>>89604017
I thought something definite was said that I'd missed.
I need to watch through it all again.
Coincidentally, I've just finished 'The Ember Island Players', so I can marathon Korra afterwards.

>>89604027
I can see it, but so was Guru Pathik.
Would have been cool if he was still alive, even though he was already well over 100 years old during AtLA, and got Air Bending by being a super spiritual fucker.
>>
>>89604123
Maybe that wheelchair kid from ATLA is still alive and he became a bender.
>>
>>89604105
>A lot of them couldn't go back to their homes because they were wanted fugitives. And some were probably like Kai and didn't have anything to go back to.
It's called mental gymnastic + shoehorining the plot because it defies logic. Shit had no reason to work.
>>
>>89602724
>implying the reaction wouldn't just be "lol remember when all the airbenders got genocided, jk there were a bunch just hiding over here such a cop out"
>>
>>89604136
If I remember correctly, all those people died.
Couldn't have a people who an actual Air Bender considered honorary Air Benders turn into them because that would make sense.
>>
>>89603953
>It was more about preserving a culture that was nearly made extinct
but why not let it die?
It was technically dead. Aang used his Avatar privilege to force it back on the table, then used some shitty legacy with artificial politic power to continue that return back to the stone age. A culture is something created by live people being actually alive, and the show pretend a culture is a list of do-not do on a piece of paper made to make a dead person memory happy.
Tragic brainwash is all there's to remember about that part of the show.
>>
>>89604140
>It's called mental gymnastic + shoehorining the plot because it defies logic.
Not really, they gave them a valid reason to decide to go with Tenzin.

>go back home where the Queen's troops are probably looking for you
>come with me so you can at least learn how to defend yourself and see if you like this whole air nomad thing until this whole situation is settled

I'm gonna repeat that these were all from Ba Sing Se specifically, not from all over the Earth Kingdom. Going back wouldn't have been a good idea.
>>
>>89604187
>but why not let it die?
Because that would have been too depressing for both of the shows. Also despite what you'll say fans would have rioted if that happened.

>>89604172
No, they definitely survived because they came back for the eclipse invasion.
>>
>>89604255
>fans would have rioted if that happened.

Uhhh... what are you basing this on?
>>
File: korra.jpg (244KB, 770x1160px) Image search: [Google]
korra.jpg
244KB, 770x1160px
>>89602724
Why not just have Korra milk Zaheer and Aang's son to produce a new wave of Airbenders
>>
>>89604187
>but why not let it die?
Balance, nigga.
If they were just dying out from natural causes, I could understand it and there'd probably be some cosmic reasoning behind it, but bringing back something that was nearly forced into extinction is bringing back the balance of the four nations.

>>89604255
>No, they definitely survived because they came back for the eclipse invasion.
They weren't there during Korra times is what I meant.
Should have clarified that.
Hell, they all should have gotten Air Bending for the sake of actually having, as Aang put it, Air Bender "spirit".
Giving it to random cunts because of convenience lmao harmonic convergence is bullshit.
>>
>>89604275
Because everyone and their dog came up with elaborate stories and theories about Aang rebuilding his culture before LOK came out. It's something people wanted to happen.

And some people probably wouldn't have taken it very well if Tenzin just gave up trying to preserve a culture and heritage that was nearly destroyed by an invading force. It'd just be bad writing and doesn't really fit with Avatar's underlying theme of hope.

The air nomads are slowly being rebuilt but now there's also a separate identity being formed by people who didn't want to join Tenzin, and I think that's a pretty satisfactory ending.
>>
>>89604391
Korra was a complete abortion of a show and fans didn't riot. Tenzin deciding to live his own life instead of sucking down daddy's weird fetish for monasticism would have been a complete non-issue. Their idea of "air nomad culture" is actually weird as all hell and nothing like actual air nomad culture. It's basically a fucking cult revolving around worshiping a central family. Did you see any of that in Aang's pre-war flashbacks?
>>
>>89604439
>It's basically a fucking cult revolving around worshiping a central family.
I would chalk that up to individual members just being weird and fetishistic about airbenders because that's definitely not the overall tone of the acolyte order, at least not in Korra's time (they did start out a little weird but they were originally a bunch of teenage girls). With more airbenders Tenzin and his family are no longer super special and rare, which is something that's going to be good for them in the long run. Nobody's going to freak out over Jinora, Ikki can marry whoever the hell she wants, and if Meelo decides being a nomad isn't for him he can leave the order and do his own thing.
>>
>>89604123
It never said Pathik was an airbender, he just was very spiritual.
>>
>>89602724
Hey remember all the air acolytes who willingly lived as air benders. None of them got airbending.
>>
>>89604538
>It never said Pathik was an airbender, he just was very spiritual.
No, you said Zaheer was really into Air Bender culture, so I said that Pathik was too.
Mostly bringing up my anger that nobody who should have got Air Bending, barring Zaheer, actually got it.

>>89604577
I'm still mad.
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.