[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why will O'Malley never make anything as good ever again?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: scott.jpg (9KB, 88x100px) Image search: [Google]
scott.jpg
9KB, 88x100px
Why will O'Malley never make anything as good ever again?
>>
>>89553040
I enjoy Scott Pilgrim, but Seconds was a much better story imo. The mains were generally more likable than the ones in SP and the story was paced well throughout.

SP was far more commercially successful, so if you are basing it off that, I agree.
>>
I really liked seconds. Have no idea what Snot Girl is about.
>>
>>89553266
my problem with Seconds is that it's....well dull. O'Malleys visual style is just wasted on that kind of narrative imho. What I loved about Scott Pilgrim was it's wit and self-awareness. It's characters interacted with each other and their environment so dynamically. Seconds would do better as a short novel or something...
>>
>>89553792
I see your point, though I will slightly disagree. I think Seconds was the "happy medium" for O'Malley's work. His early work (Lost at Sea, SP1 and 2) seemed slower and more serious while his later SP volumes were more fast paced, but sometimes at the detriment of the story's pace (I think this was most noticeable in "Finest Hour"). Seconds felt like it held a more serious tone and story, while the characters were interesting and occasionally witty.

I will say, though, that out of the Scott Pilgrim books, 4 and 5 really are two of his best graphic novels.
>>
>>89553289
Snot Girl is worth a read imo, but I'm not going to compare it to his other stuff until it gets somewhere. The first five issues feel like one issue to me.
>>
>>89553040

Because one, all his works are of relatively equal magnitude when taken as a whole series and Edgar Wright couldn't touch his other series like he did Scott Pilgrim, and bind it together really cohesively in a single movie.

I know that's not a popular opinion here, mainly because certain female characters got less backstory and one just got chopped out completely, but Wright helped make the pace consistent, the themes wrap up well, and once more this may be an unpopular opinion, Ramona made more sense.

I like the idea of her being a commitaphobe, I just thought it kinda felt weak that Scott fought the final evil ex for nothing. Of course, they were all technically for nothing as closure shouldn't come from that alone and I could do this for days. Might have been best to leave a memo for scott is all I'm saying.

In the movie, Scott wraps everything up quite neatly, with Knives, with Ramona, with the most popular ginger in the entire series, and confronts his flaws, while in the comics it's left up in the air.

This contributed to helping people find out about the graphic novel (as yes, it was underappreciated), and then see what parts the source material did better.

Compare this to seconds... how would you even do seconds? Don't get me wrong, I love it and I'd still buy a ticket but...
>>
Is it bad if I wished that Envy would have gotten some more focus? Like, we never really see what triggered her start of darkness, but Scott's chimping out when he found out she went corporate didn't help things.

I do like that she and Scott finally found some closure, at least.
>>
File: Sp2.png (65KB, 500x430px) Image search: [Google]
Sp2.png
65KB, 500x430px
Has he written a character as great as Wallace?
>>
>>89556191
I agree with all of this. Scott Pilgrim was just a more commercially marketable idea. Seconds or LAS are both fun reads but wouldn't really translate well to film or video games.
>>
All of O'Malley's works are very good, but Scott Pilgrim's success lies not only in it's video-game esque presentation but that that it was his longest series. There was more room for him to not only play out but build up Scott's story to its conclusion.

Not to say *anything* bad about either of them, but Seconds and Lost at Sea better served their story purpose by being shorter, but all that shows is how good of a storyteller O'Malley is. He knows how long he can carry a story before its end.

I haven't read Snot Girl yet, tho, but I can't imagine it's any different and will be the length it needs to be.
>>
>>89553266

Seconds really had me right up until the end. The way everything is just rushed into a happy ending with a bunch of 1-2 sentence long blurbs really bothered me. The fact that Katie's deep seated issues with Andrew and their relationship were resolved just by giving him a college recommendation doesn't really make much sense, and the fact that she somehow ends up with Max, even though the comic seems to go out of it's way to show how they really just don't work together no matter how much they compromise or stay together bothered me too.

Reading seconds felt like enjoying a flight on a private jet, only to have it crash into the airport at your destination.
>>
File: dont.png (28KB, 295x213px) Image search: [Google]
dont.png
28KB, 295x213px
Just putting this out here before someone says Knives was better than Ramona.

Knives is selfish, a stalker and made tons of excuses for a guy that treated her badly and treated Neil badly herself. Both versions of the story portray Scott taking Knives back as a step backwards in the maturation processes of both Scott and Knives. Scott because after all his efforts to move past Envy he got burned again by Ramona and picked up his old habits, and Knives because she'd be willing to allow Scott to treat her badly again when she knows he isn't really interested in her but something "EASY".

This isn't to say Ramona isn't flawed, but people that say that the alternate movie ending was "better" or "made more sense" just can't see past their lust for a Chinese highschool girl.
>>
>>89558438
I disagree with you on Knives as a bad/lesser *character*, but I agree with you in spirit that Knives was never meant to be Scott's OTP as far as the narrative was concerned.
>>
>>89558579

I'm not saying Knives is a bad person/character, as much as anyone in the series is, she is as flawed as every other character. It just drives me crazy that much of /co/ acts like she's a perfect saint Scott was crazy to not be with.
>>
>Scott Pilgrim
>good
>>
>>89558378
>The way everything is just rushed into a happy ending with a bunch of 1-2 sentence long blurbs really bothered me. The fact that Katie's deep seated issues with Andrew and their relationship were resolved just by giving him a college recommendation doesn't really make much sense, and the fact that she somehow ends up with Max, even though the comic seems to go out of it's way to show how they really just don't work together no matter how much they compromise or stay together bothered me too

I can't really argue with you there. I, too, felt like the conclusion could've been handled better. I don't think Bryan Lee O'Malley is very good at writing endings overall. His Seconds ending felt a lot like the final few pages of Finest Hour, though I think there was a little more care taken in Finest Hour to tie up the loose ends (Knives closure, friends again with Kim, "successful adult Scott"). If he took a few more pages, he could've brought the story to a neater conclusion. It wasn't a dealbreaker for me, but I can see how the abrupt an sorta "everyone lived happily ever after" can really throw people off.
>>
>>89558438
>Knives is selfish, a stalker and made tons of excuses for a guy that treated her badly

She was also a very emotionally immature person who was used and manipulated by an older guy. Not an excuse for her behavior but I think most people at that age would probably not have the expectation of emotional maturity that a character like Ramona should have.

>treated Neil badly herself

Yeah, she did fuck up there. She even knew that she was using Neil to "get back at Scott", so what she did wasn't acceptable. However, I wish O'Malley would've focused more on the Knives-Neil relationship. Clearly, there was something up there, but it was ignored.

I overall agree with that Knives is just as flawed as the rest.
>>
File: 0405041.jpg (93KB, 615x585px) Image search: [Google]
0405041.jpg
93KB, 615x585px
>>89559481
this to be honest.
/co/ have change.
>>
>>89561021
HEAD LIKE A FUCKING ORANGE
>>
>89561021

It's not popular anymore. It's safe again.
>>
>>89557352
wallace is the comics version of the first flame.

any attempt to recreate or imitate it will only end in ruin
>>
Lost at Sea is his best work
>>
>>89561021
Moron.
>>
>>89564297
winrar
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.