[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is Wonder Woman's core trait?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 3

File: DC Trinity.jpg (2MB, 1988x3056px) Image search: [Google]
DC Trinity.jpg
2MB, 1988x3056px
I've been trying to figure out what Wonder Woman's core trait is. I realized that I could fairly easily identify what Superman's and Batman's core trait was that drove most of their stories and motivations, but I couldn't nail one down for Wonder Woman which is odd since she's part of the DC trinity.

Superman's main trait is altruism. Deep-seated, baked in his bones kindness and altruism. Clark's guiding principle in life is "If I CAN help, I WILL help". Clark's the type of guy who would give you the shirt off his back if he saw that you were cold.

Batman's core trait is his indomitable will. The perseverance of the human spirit in the face of unbelievable tragedy and doing your best to make sure that no one else in Gotham ever suffers the same loss he did. When I think of Batman I think of the line "I thank whatever gods may be for my unconquerable soul".

But with Diana...what is it? What's her main trait that drives her? And what is her goal that she's striving towards? Is it gender equality? Does she want Themiscyra to join the World of Men? Does she want to reign in Zeus' place as queen of the gods to help create a kinder pantheon?

What do you guys think?
>>
Second Wave Feminism and neck breaking
>>
>>89530792
well at least in the Golden Age, Wonder Woman's main drive was to bring peace to Man's World, only using violence as a last resort, it's an aspect of her character that would be nice to see brought back
>>
He core trait is that she is the first female superhero. She hasn't really evolved beyond that.
>>
>>89530792
Really, none of them have traits. Batman and Superman both started out as rip-offs of other characters (The Shadow and Doc Savage respectively) but were able to evolve as deeper, more fleshed out characters because they had more writers/longer life-spans then their predecessors. What you think are their "core traits" are just ideas that have become common for writers to use when their using these characters. The only reason people always spout the "WONDER WOMAN IS BORING AND SUCKS" meme is because she doesn't have some easily accessible graphic novel for people to read the Wikipedia synopsis of so they can claim they know all about the character.
>>
>>89530792

Diana's trait is love. But not in a "peace and love" hippy way. But in a matriarchal "doing what needs to be done" for you own benefit kind of way.

Like how you mentioned that Clark would give you the shirt off his back. Diana wouldn't let you go out in the cold.
>>
>>89531020
I like this.
>>
>>89530986
>Really, none of them have traits.
>What you think are their "core traits" are just ideas that have become common for writers to use when their using these characters.

OP here, if you're looking at 50 years of the same ideas that Batman and Superman have been written around, how are those not core traits? What's the difference?
>>
>>89531020
I agree with this. I was going to say compassion but I like this better.
However, I'd say her core trait isn't as core because often times writers forget that, or misuse it, or just ignore it. That's why it's so hard to define her.
>>
her trait is truth.
>>
>>89530831
She predates that wave by several decades, anon.
>>
>>89530792

Superman = Hope.
Batman = Justice.
Wonder Woman = Love.

'Nuff said. And I don't argue with 'Nuff, he scares me.
>>
>>89531239

How so? What are some great Wonder Woman moments that illustrate this?
>>
>>89530792
You are wrong on both though. Superman could do a hell of a lot more to help people he just doesn't and Batman regularly allows criminals to escape and kill and people.
>>
>>89531020
Pretty much this. Diana is the mom.
>>
>>89530986
actually Wonder Woman had surprisingly sophisticated writing for a Golden Age comic, since her creator William Marston intended her to be more than just a commodity, but from the very beginning intended her to be a role model

honestly it's a shame more people don't know about Marston, the man lead a fascinating life
>>
>>89530792

I'm not a huge WW fan at all... but I've always thought the difference between all three was their upbringings, and the difference with Diana is that she grew up apart from humanity, like Clark she's different but he had a somewhat normal life growing up around and with humans, and she didn't.

Then theres the whole amazonian society and countless other things piled on top of that.
>>
>>89531020
That's definitely what you get from the recent Azzarello run.
>>
>>89530792
I've always taken wonder womans core trait as "truth"
>>
>>89531346
>ftfy

Superman = Hope.
Batman = Vengeance.
Wonder Woman = Loves snapping necks
>>
>>89531020
This
>>
>>89533425
It really works well with the warrior ethos. Taking on the duty of doing terrible things to protect the people/land.
>>
>>89531020
That sounds facist to me. Her core trait is "knowing what's best for people better than they do"
>>
>>89530792
By trying to boil the characters down to a single core trait you're missing the point of a well-developed character.

If you had to limit yourself to a single defining label you're better off sticking with how they interact with society. With that as our metric I'd put Superman, Batman, and Wonder Woman as the Knight, the Judge, and the Philosopher-King, respectively.
>>
>>89531020
This, it's love
Wasn't she a candidate for Star Sapphires ?
>>
>>89533571
That's not fascist
>>
>>89533706
>By trying to boil the characters down to a single core trait you're missing the point of a well-developed character.

What I mean by "core trait" is given the sum of their comics and their quotes and their interactions with heroes, civilians, romantic interests, and villains and their "great" stories, what repeatedly comes across about them? And that's what I feel they're about. Superman is just a deeply goodhearted man and Batman has an unbreakable spirit. In fact, idk why, but I think of Bruce more than I think of Hal when I think of who has the greatest will and perseverance.
>>
Anarchronisms
Fighting for Peace
Living Stone
Themescrian Diplomat
Hero Goddess
>>
>>89531020
MOMMY
>>
>>89534353
Not letting someone walk out into the cold when they want to is facist. If they want to they should have the freedom to no matter how good or bad it is for them. Example: smoking, drinking, etc.
>>
>>89534451
>their interactions with heroes, civilians, romantic interests, and villains

Then Batman's core trait is "asshole."
>>
>>89534803
Diana is a princess of a woman only island. No shit she is a fascist. Doesnt make her wrong.
>>
>>89534969
Not at all. If the leader of a facist nation is a good person the system theoretically works perfectly. It's when the greed of men takes over it gets flawed.
>>
>>89531312
Her original stories embodied a lot of the ideas from second-wave feminism before SWF was really a thing.
>>
>>89534969
>>89535063
Diana's a monarchist, not a fascist. There is a difference.
>>
File: IMG_3337.jpg (91KB, 620x470px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_3337.jpg
91KB, 620x470px
>>89535162
Did someone say monarchist?
>>
>>89531020
But I want Diana to give me the shirt off her back
>>
>>89535258
Yes, any criticism of Diana stemming from her role as a member of a foreign government can equally be applied to Aquaman.
>>
>>89530792
well she was created and originally written as a really strange figure, by a man who thought women were better than men but also thought they were being held down by all the housework they had to do, and co-created by his wife and possibly his his mistress, who lived with his wife after he died
the bracelets (made from shackles), the lasso, the Old Glory granny panties, the island of women that was completely detached from the rest of the world and perfect in just about every way, even the fucking invisible jet, it was all him and whatever female help he had, and most of it had direct allegorical meaning about women
bearing that in mind, her defining trait... is actually just that she's a woman unencumbered by men
>>
File: cromnotwell.jpg (106KB, 440x293px) Image search: [Google]
cromnotwell.jpg
106KB, 440x293px
>>89535258
>>89535162
>Monarchists
>>
>>89535813
>bearing that in mind, her defining trait... is actually just that she's a woman unencumbered by men

So you're saying that's it's impossible to separate Diana's core attributes from the fact that she's a woman. On the one hand, it makes sense that being created as a feminist icon, Wonder Woman's core traits would be inextricably linked to her womanhood. But on the other, I feel like it limits her in a way that Clark and Bruce aren't because she can't stand for a more universal concept.
>>
>>89537536
well I'm sure that's part of why she's been reinterpreted and changed over the years, along with being weird and being a Stronk Woman
the question is if you can do the character justice without ever really getting into her cultural standing, and I don't have the answer
I think what would at least come close is to show her as being just as good as the male heroes and better than some of them while being, well, different
>>
>>89530792
I usually see them as Superman the idealist, Batman the cynic, and Diana the realist bridge between the two.
>>
>>89537536
I think it's less that and more that her traits are linked to womanhood because she's a woman. She shares many traits with Superman but he's never referred to as maternal.
>>
Batman's main theme is psychological trauma, no? Its what drives him and will never ever leave.
>>
>>89531133
Both have changed way too much over the past 50 years. Most people who can't see it have never read a Batman or Superman book before 86.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.