[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

MAD Magazine

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: latest.jpg (32KB, 547x410px) Image search: [Google]
latest.jpg
32KB, 547x410px
I recently had a blast to the past when I checked out Mad TV and the modern MAD show, and was surprised to see the magazine was still running.
What do you guys think about MAD?
>>
>>89524104
I still try to take a look at Mad whenever it comes out.
>>
Is it still the same? I know Cracked turned into a website and went full tumblr.
>>
>>89524104
Here in Germany they published the MAD magazine in the 70s and 80s with a famous comedy writer as editor in chief. Apparently it was really good. Then they stopped it.
In the late 90s they rebooted it. I bought my first one in '99 I think and stayed an avid reader until 2003 or so. It still exists to this day, but it has changed - around the time I stopped reading it, mainly because of these very changes.
You see, almost 20 years ago they still had lots of content from america. Great film parodies drawn and written by people like Angelo Torres, Herman Mejia, Mort Drucker and others. You had Tom Bunk and Bill Wray and Spy vs. Spy by Peter Kuper - the comic strips that brought me into contact with the spies. It was terrific.
They also had german contribution, like Ivica Astalos, who was always good. Their translator (who was the go-to punching bag of the german staff) also did a great job and taught me many smartass words I still use to this day.
But then the american content became less - either because the people simply died or because the germans tried to get their own people more promiment? Dunno, but the baseline was that the film parodies became shittier and less clever. And the people who did better stuff before, like satirizing german media, for example, suddenly did less of that and more of stupid bydlo jokes. Additionally, the magazine seemed to be aimed at younger kids suddenly - I was 15 and already felt too old. When I read the older issues, I still don't have that feeling. I feel like it started where the old magazine left and gradually regressed to actual schoolboy humour. Such cases.

Also, it had (semi)cartoon tits before we even got a family computer.
>>
It's for children
Like comic books
>>
First 28 issues edited by Harvey Kurtzman are godly, featuring awesome art by Bill Elder, Wally Wood, and more.

Mixture of great stuff and crap for most of its history. Some struggle with dated material but I enjoy it as a time capsule of sorts. My favorite post Kurtzman artists are Aragones, Martin, Drucker, Friedman, Pound, and Jaffee.

I do feel that they lost a little edge when they started printing real ads. They were never that harsh but their ad parodies used to be much much better.
>>
File: chris slap 3.png (620KB, 1102x790px) Image search: [Google]
chris slap 3.png
620KB, 1102x790px
>>89526602
WH ERR E DO YOU THI IN IK YO U AR E?
>>
>>89526468
MAD in America kinda switched to a raunchier style around the late 90's.
>>
>>89524104
Had some good laughs with the occasional issue back in the day, but nowadays what little I've seen of it is just plain bad. >>89526468
>>
>>89524104
Loved the live-action show, can't stand the cartoon.
>>
It had a good influence on me when I was a young'un. I know it's just a goofy magazine that's not too funny or inspired, but I feel like it had an honestly good message for kids.
MAD in the '90s tended to basically say "life is often stupid or lousy, and it's important to laugh at that & keep your spirits up." I think that's a much better message than a lot of kids' media that tells moral about how things "should" be.

I haven't looked at it in a long time, but I hope it kept that attitude of laughing at life's foibles without needing a moral.
>>
>>89526467
It's starting to become SLIGHTLY less Tumblr.

You just have to learn to avoid the autism.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.