[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

JSA Storytime: Majestic

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 127
Thread images: 26

Good evening owls,

I have a short treat for you tonight
>>
>>89460030
Because today, I have failed like a failing thing at Getting Shit Done and that's bad.
>>
>>89460050
We'll finish Madge next Wednesday

After that, I'm honestly thinking about running 3.0, despite my known issues with Joe Casey, in honor of those badass motherfuckers at the National Parks Service. :)
>>
>>89460030
Hey. How was your opera adventure?
>>
>>89460074
The score is still great, the singing was kind of meh, and the production completely missed some really important stuff, enough that this one total pearl-clutching review in the Chronicle kind of made sense after I saw it. There was the consumption of excellent food.
>>
>>89460120
>>
Amazing Spider-Man #25 is a $9.99 96 page monster of a comic book.

Dan Slott and Stuart Immonen create a 40 page Spider-Man story kicking off the new Norman Osborn storyline. Dan Slott and Giuseppe Camuncoli tell a short story, Hannah Blumenreich writes and draws her Spider-debut, Cale Atkinson creates a new story about the A-May-zing Spider-Aunt,and – possibly – a Peter David and Mark Bagley launch for the new Scarlet Spider series.

With an Alex Ross cover, Stuart Immonenvariant cover, Venomised Dave Johnsoncover, Action figure variant cover by John Tyler Christopher, and two more unannounced variant covers.

But that’s just the start. If retailers order 200% of this $9.99 comic that they did of Amazing Spider-Man #22, then they get a massive discount off the price. With lower discounts if retailers order 150% or 125% of the numbers.

Considering that #22 had an estimate of North American numbers of around 63,000, this does mean Marvel may expect rather high numbers – topping 100,000 North American orders – and definitely topping the dollar share for the month of March!

No overship required. Damn it Marvel.
>>
RIP GLA
>>
>>89460030
Hello, Storyteller.

Quick question: Have you ever run JLA: Act of God?

Follow up question: If you haven't, will you?
>>
>>89460217
no :(

>>89460189
already?
>>
>>89460071
>After that, I'm honestly thinking about running 3.0, despite my known issues with Joe Casey, in honor of those badass motherfuckers at the National Parks Service. :)
I'm down for that
>>
Thunderbolts #10 unlettered preview is out: http://www.adventuresinpoortaste.com/2017/01/27/marvel-preview-thunderbolts-10/

Helmut's current design is a mess that looks even worse when Malin draws it.
>>
>>89460217
I think someone might have run that a little while ago. Someone was running a lot of the terrible elseworlds of the time period
>>
>>89460180
>Hannah Blumenreich
Spidey fan comics artist, right? Mainly movie-based IIRC.
>>
File: 1485263999267.jpg (100KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
1485263999267.jpg
100KB, 640x1136px
>>
>>89460173
Even as the last place in the Universe "The Place" still makes for a shitty name,
>>
>>89460180

as i said in an earlier thread, i was worried i'd miss Immonen's first issue
>>
>>89460241

So what's the tally of cancelled books of Marvel Now 2.0 at this point? Solo, Foolkiller, GLA, Prowler...I suspect Occupy and Ultimates 2 are next on the chopping block.
>>
>>89460242
It's not like there's not good stuff in it, so I think we'd enjoy it. The NPS thing definitely set me on that track.

BTW this whole issue is a riff on Asimov's "Last Question" lest you think Moore ain't stealing from the best
>>
>>89460241
>no :(
Aw come on. You don't want to run such a classic tale? :^)
>>
>>89460254
There was so much beefcake in this week's TBolts and all of it was terrible because of the art.

They should give the book to the fill in guy.
>>
How 'bout that Deathstroke #11?
>>
>>89460189
was that actually confirmed?
>>89460241
it looks like Lemire is jumping ship again, probably just to focus on indies. He is leaving Old Man Logan at #24, and Moon Knight #14 is the final issue. He only has Thanos left, with the xmen title ending after IvX
>>
>>89460324
>>
>>89460310

is Foolkiller canceled for real?

Ultimates2 is too Big Picture Plot for them to can

Occupy is great
>>
>>89460340
>unfappable beefcake

truly the most offensive creative crime of them all
>>
>>89460273
All of those Starlin Marvel creations were from the 70s, before the Creator Rights movement really got traction in the 80s with the Direct Market boom.

KGBeast barely existed before the fall of the USSR.

This makes sense.
>>
>>89460375
isn't it fucking just?
>>
>>89460310
Occupy #3 never even got storytimed here.

And then my computer died before I got a chance to read the copy I got from the Win-O Thread.
>>
>>89460340

The book had a pretty damn big spike in digital sales when the fill-in guy was on the interiors and they had someone non-shit do the covers. It tanked again the moment Malin came back.
>>
>>89460254
>>89460340
This month's T-Bolts was alright in terms of writing, honestly. Shame anything of substance has yet to happen.
>>
>>89460392
Bolts would be less awful if the writing were somehow compelling to at least make up for the art. But it's at best "okay in some parts if you're not bleeding from the eyes at the same time looking at Malin"
>>
>>89460341
good stuff, as expected from Priest/Cowan/Sienkiewicz
>>
Well shit, HMV just announced that they are closing all stores in Canada. There goes one of the last spots of physical media
>>
>>89460324
Always wondered if PKD's Holy Quarrel was a riff on that.
>>
>>89460372

It isn't in the April solicits and sales were garbage, it's not tied to an event...
>>
http://www.cbr.com/interview-marvel-animation-avengers-ultron-revolution-civil-war-finale/

It was Wacker that kept Slott in check, he should go back.
>>
>>89460437
Wacker's a combative asshole on social media but he's also an experienced and skillful editor.
>>
>>89460383

also Levitz was big about making sure creators got compensated when he was in charge
>>
>>89460324
Moore is always really referential even when he's not just plain having fun with it like in the League books. It's part of why I think he likes Gillen quite a bit - you know, Phonogram and WicDiv and the like.
>>
>>89460419

The writing and characterization has become okay, and even the page-time allocation between Bucky and the Bolts has finally gotten to the point where it's no longer a glorified Winter Soldier solo...

But it's lacking themes, a hook and anything resembling actual character arcs. You get a couple of nice moments between the Bolts but that's it.
>>
>>89460367
>Aptimaxer is going to fuck the Wandering Jew to pass on sentient syphilis.

Well, at least Moore didn't just make it rape propagated.
>>
>>89460475
right, there are nice little fun moments, but there's no arc, no drive, etc. Even FabNic at his most kudzu was doing things with everyone and not just to them.
>>
>>89460470
>you know, Phonogram and WicDiv and the like.
Moore even likes Young Avengers
>>
>>89460475
To me it is the bare minimum of what I expect in writing from a big 2 monthly even though it's not enough to make me buy it. Just put out something that doesn't piss off characterfags and keeps the brand in people's minds between the really good runs.

But of course the art is bad enough that it fails the standard there.
>>
>>89460513

Yeah, I think that New Thunderbolts and the Civil War arcs had some plotting issues, to be honest, but FabNic made up for those by doing some great character work. Especially on Helmut, Melissa and Erik.
>>
>>89460470
The older I get, the pickier I am about metafiction and the use of references as a seeming end in and of itself
>>
>>89460423
Jesus.

Hello, even more empty space in every fucking mall.

The Internet is killing us. All of us.
>>
Hiya OP! I made myself a tumblr, so I guess you can officially call me tumblr trash :B
>>
>>89460475
They acknowledged that Kobik ripped Karla's moonstone out. That could maybe possibly be going somewhere? Please? .... I need something to actually happen in this book.
>>
>>89460475
>and even the page-time allocation between Bucky and the Bolts has finally gotten to the point where it's no longer a glorified Winter Soldier solo...
You're saying this but I'm sure the last issue has a multi-page sequence which is pretty much literally:
>"One, Poochie needs to be louder, angrier, and have access to a time machine. Two, whenever Poochie's not on screen, all the other characters should be asking "Where's Poochie"?
And it's not the first time either.

>>89460558
For me personally bare minimum Big Two is not worth reading.
>>
>>89460420
>Remembers Einstein, forgets Books.

This bothers me for some reason.
>>
>>89460561
The Civil War stuff was IMO clearly overcompressed because Ellisbolts had to happen, but you can go back through it and go "ooh" at the details, and there's a lot of content.

>>89460579
I have one I haven't done anything with in a long time. I was once all "I'll post funny/useful panels as I read!"

lol
>>
>>89460523
That doesn't surprise me either, really.

>>89460565
Aren't you a big Gene Wolfe fan senpai?
>>
>>89460579
OMG /co/umblr is real OMG
>>
>>89460579
>>89460636

>not having been on tumblr since 2009

ahahahaha oh i've wasted my life
>>
>>89460620
>>89460597
Bare minimum ends up being "I should at least look at this...oh, I'm too lazy to download it, forget it" for me.

>>89460628
I've bounced off a lot of his more recent stuff but I find him to be careful and deliberate in his uses, and never pointlessly showy/doing it for the deliberate irony.
>>
>>89460574
Don't worry, once Net Neutrality gets overturned we can bring in package deals that will force people to visit physical stories again. That's good, right? ;^)
>>
So, I'm guessing I'm the only one who liked Odyssey of the Amazons? ...Okay.

Granted, it could stand to cut down on the narration, but still.
>>
>>89460574
It sucks for collectors (ie people who care about getting slipcovers and stuff for Blu-rays) because now they will have to play the amazon roulette to see if they get exactly what they hoped for.
I admit to have not actually bought anything there in at least a year, but it still sucks to lose another option.
>>
>>89460663
Errr, think of it maybe a bit how Captain Atom engages with Superhero Comics As A Thing compared to "Look, we're being meta!" or how the Simpsons turned into reference-for-reference sake well over a decade ago long after I'd stopped watching.
>>
>>89460597
>For me personally bare minimum Big Two is not worth reading.

I get this. It's usually more of a "I'll read it and if it was enjoyable enough consider the trade when it's on sale" but with the art as bad as it has been I don't even read the storytimes that often anymore.
>>
>>89460663
Current RHATO is the level of a bare minimum Big Two book I will actually read. Not amazing but knows the characters, is doing something semi-interesting or original, has a plot going. And Thunderbolts is no RHATO.
>>
>>89460673
I only saw a couple of pages with a viking giant, it seemed pretty murderous with its characters. Was it good and if it was what was good about it?
>>
>>89460690
is that /d/?
>>
>>89460732
>>
>>89460620
I mostly need it for that webcomic I'm /probably/ starting next year.
>>
>>89460690
>Captain Atom engages with Superhero Comics As A Thing compared to "Look, we're being meta!"
I think that Moore is more often this than the latter but I guess YMMV. Gillen definitely can indulge in the latter.

Continuity in cape comics will always make a bit of a game of metafiction.
>>
>>89460756
>>
>>89460760
Shill harder senpai, what's the plot. What do we google for the title. Where can I send you my hate mail.
>>
>>89460273
I love this. If it were up to me, way more comics creators would get credited in movies, whether it's their characters or their stories that provided inspiration. It's kind of fucking bullshit that these movies and merch have become a billion dollar industry and studios are reluctant to throw a dime to the people responsible for them.

Denny O'Neil once told a story about how after seeing the Iron Man movie, someone eventually reminded him that he created Stane and a lot of other story elements. So he called up ol' Joey Q and said "Hey, I noticed you billion dollar movie has one of my characters in it, would you mind giving me a small credit so I don't have to eat cat food?"
>>
>>89460475
The main problem is that all characters aside from Melissa (who just joined the team and needed lots of pages of exposition to learn the situation) feel like a Bucky extension instead of their own characters.
>>
>>89460814
It is the rumor for why Brubaker no longer writes for Marvel/has no intention of writing capes again.
>>
>>89460814
Marvel does list them in the credits when it's a story of theirs that has elements lifted but I don't know how much they actually get back for it.
>>
>>89460783
When Morrison gets lazy, it's definitely too much of the latter for me/it displaces narrative with symbol
>>
>>89460732
Is this possibly the first time Majestic has had sex since he left Khera?
>>
>>89460829

That's a good way to put it. I feel it's a lot more likely that Zemo will be given an actual character arc by Spencer than that the Bolts will get one from Zub.
>>
>>89460859
At this point in time without the retcons--yes.

Hah, this is reminding me of the last arc of Ostrander/Mandrake Spectre
>>
>>89460310
It kinda irritates me that so many are actually celebrating these cancellations. The Marvel/TORtanic memery has gotten to the point where people are HAPPY that more creatively free and experimental books starring obscure characters are getting axed.
>>
>>89460898
Oh shit yes

>>89460896
Absolutely, Spencer's putting in some work on Zemo

>>89460902
that's pretty fucking annoying
>>
>>89460729
It's kind of an action/mystery thing. The roaming Amazons are on this quest to find other Amazons around the world(apparently there are immortal women around the globe for reasons), but they don't know why Hippolyta sent them on this quest, not even Hessia, leader of the expedition. This is brewing tension among the group.

I like it because those elements are set up fairly well, and Hessia hints at being an interesting antihero. And it seems like they're actually going to explore the "warriors of peace" thing the Amazons have had since forever. It's only the first issue, but it seems like it could go places.

Also, it's a book about mooks, which is something I've wanted for a long time.
>>
>>89460813
I'm still figuring some shit out, it's definitely not even close to being ready.

Also, this post and the previous one are the only time I'll admit to writing it, when I have it ready I won't admit to anything.

I won't deny it either tho
>>
>>89460896
I have very little hope from Zub. I looked at his Glitterbomb and some of his other stuff (this one Japanese setting thing, Skullkickers) and I didn't find any of it good.
>>
>>89460915
>>
>>89460934
Sounds at least a little bit interesting, I will see if I can check it out. Cheers.
>>
>>89460982
This is /d/ right?
>>
>>89460982
>>
>>89460961

That matches what other people have said about Zub, mainly that his output varies between godawful and mediocre.
>>
>>89460902

Been saying for months the anti Marvel hate is shitty
>>
>>89461026
Majestic is all /d/.
>>
>>89461031
thanks for reading

back as noted above
>>
>>89460961
Yeah, I don't know why Image keeps greenlighting his books, it's not like they sell well or anyone likes him as a writer
>>
>>89460902

A lot of those books getting canned are really, really good, too.

>>89461031

Even without looking at the writing credits you can tell that this is Moore.
>>
>>89461044
I like a lot of his pitches, but not the writing.

>>89461059
Thanks OP. Have a nice weekend.
>>
>>89460423
>Well shit, HMV just announced that they are closing all stores in Canada. There goes one of the last spots of physical media
Hopefully they have decent closing sales; I think the West Edmonton Mall one had a decent selection of TPBs, and hopefully I can nab those for below expensive Canadian cover price.
>>
>>89460902
>>89461048
It sucks, but I get being glad about it from a long term perspective. TV season relaunches that they're doing is just not worth it so they have to start failing to get a change from it.

But you have to hope that the good creators can still get/keep jobs somewhere when the changes start happening of course otherwise it's pointless.
>>
>>89461060

Zub seems to be a very nice person and I wish him all the best but as a writer he is pretty darn bad. And not even the fun kind of bad.
>>
>>89461059
Thanks as always OP
>>
>>89461121

Part of the problem IMO is not commuting enough and consistently to the seasonal relaunches. Only for new creative teams or do it every story arc.
>>
>>89461031
> golden symbiotes
ah yes, Wetworks. The Image founder comic people care less about than Shadowhawk
>>
>>89461059
Thanks, OPium.
>>
>>89461121

The part that frustrates me is that Marvel has a lot of good newcomer writers on their books but their architects are either people who haven't produced a good book in years or who always sucked, and who clearly have no vision or direction.

Although a lot of this is on editorial, too. When some writers produce decent to great stuff at every publisher but Marvel it's a sign that its editorial really fucking sucks imo.
>>
>>89461059

Thanks OP!
>>
>>89461059
Thanks for posting as always, Storyteller.

See you Wednesday. Seriously though. Act of God SoP. Just saying.
>>
>>89461186
>OPium
X-Anon, are you always this much of a corny motherfucker, or are you just in a weird mood today?
>>
>>89461192
They promote the things that don't need help and then they put new people on doomed projects and then seem to shrug when they fail.
>>
>>89461119
The website claims 30% off everything as it stands today
>>
>>89461280
Hey now, they were just making a perfectly cromulent joke about how OP's storytimes are addictive.
>>
>>89461330
Cool, will check it out this weekend.
>>
>>89461192
Could follow behind DC and take the people who were on good fringe stuff and give them more platform.

Though hopefully the result would be better because I gave up on Batman and Supergirl already (maybe JLA will be better, idk).
>>
>>89461280
It's been X-Anon's thing for a week or two.
>>
>>89461379
Same, I'm going to look for any reasonably priced Criterion/slip covered Scream Factory releases
>>
>>89461059
cheers OP
>>
>>89460961
Avengers.MU wasn't even bad, better than Waid at least. I assume the one pushing the Bucky Poochie shit is the editor.
>>
>>89460513
>>89460561
FabNic gave more personality to Genis, who I'm convinced was only there by editorial mandate to die horribly, than Zub is giving to all the classic Bolts! That's a god damned crime.
>>
>>89461280
I'll have a new one ready for ya next time :D

>>89461454
Yeah, it's getting old, innit?
>>
>>89462014
KILL THEM X-ANON
KILL THEM ALL
>>
If we're not on Mon/Tues I might try and take y'all through TRANSFORMERS VS. G.I. JOE which I picked up thanks to OP and which is completely fuckin' W I L D.

Not in any familiar sense either. It's truly a 'leave your expectations at the door' experience.
>>
>>89463386
sounds fun
>>
>>89463386

still waiting for that Complete Collection HC.

can't believe i'm actually buying a goddamn transformers product
>>
>>89463404
Art and part-writing duties are done by the same guy doing back-ups in Cave Carson currently.
>>
>>89463547
It is actually fucking amazing though, right? The 'Headmasters' issue was maybe my fave I read all last year.
>>
>>89463547
>still waiting for that Complete Collection HC.

Don't forget Transformers vs GI JOE: The Movie:The Comic!
>>
>>89460357
>it looks like Lemire is jumping ship again, probably just to focus on indies
Maybe then the books he'll write will be good

His capeshit is mediocre compared to his indie shit
>>
>>89461418
>(maybe JLA will be better, idk).
The oneshots were all better than his Supergirl, writing and plotwise so maybe?
>>
>>89464802
>His capeshit is mediocre compared to his indie shit

But what about Black Hammer, his indie capeshit
>>
>>89464928
Black Hammer has been quite good so far.
Thread posts: 127
Thread images: 26

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.